(Close Window)
Topic: Magician Wax
I bought magicians wax from a online magic shop and got it today in post, but its a "solid" block of bees wax? How do I use this with IT? I thought it would be soft and sticky?
I havent done a lot with IT, but I would assume you cut or break a little piece off and then roll it in your fingers to warm it til it gets soft.
Yes, take a small piece off and roll it till soft. The soft sticky version is for the Card on Ceiling, and isn't really suitable for IT. jim
I want to use it for the Le Clair Animator because I'm running out of flesh coloured putty
Want some "magicians" wax? Go to the hardware store and get a wax ring used to seat toilets. They'll cost you maybe $5 (US). You'll have enough was to last a lifetime!
I found this http://www.gradyshardware.com/Harveys-Wax-Toilet-Bowl-Gasket/M/B000KRKL98.htm?traffic_src=GB&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=GB&id=uk

toilet seal wax looks the same color as my beeswax I got? is it the same thing?
I'm looking for wax that can be used to attach IT to my skin
Beesway isn't real good for skin attachment. I used some stuff that is white, didn't take much. Got it at Wal Mart. It was called plas-tac or tack. I can't remember which. It was created to hold things to walls without putting holes in the wall. Was cheap, easily available and worked great. Once you worked it pretty good between your fingers it would stick to skin pretty well. I don't know if they still have it, been a few years since I used it last. I changed from IT to loops.
Owen, that's the stuff. It's NOT bees wax. It's sticky enough, very pliable and will work with IT.

Mark.
I've tried the toilet seal before and really had a difficult time with it. It is very messy. However, for only five bucks it's worth the try.
Wes is probably right. I'm not a "wax worker," but have heard about the toilet seals for some time from those who are. Maybe it wouldn't be very good for IT, but cards on ceilings, etc...??? For the price, it's worth a try.

Mark.
If it's just beeswax that's not right. A good quality 'hard' magician's wax which is what you would use for IT stuff should be a mixture of several things giving you something that is not so 'sticky' that the T just pulls through it. It should become mildly tacky as you work it with your fingers.

Soft Wax...for Card on Ceiling, etc. is VERY sticky and much lighter in consistency, etc.

Best,
Any tips for the card on the ceiling?

It does not stick most of the time.

Thank you

Best
Dom
It's got to hit it FLAT and HARD! If not, it won't.

Mark.
Also....many magicians will tend to use TOO LITTLE wax to really do the job. You want a ball of wax about twice the size or more of that average pea. If it looks like too much you probably have it right. I used to watch my buddy J.C. Wagner do it over and over in the bar he was working.....When I realized how big the chunk of wax was it blew me away AND explained why I had so much trouble when "I" was attempting to do it!

Best,
For IT work I don't suggest wax anyway. I use the putty. You can find it in many kinds of stores. It's the kind of stuff you'd use to stick posters to a wall. Look in office supplies.

The reason I prefer this to any of the wax that's out there for it is because it sticks to more surfaces, Isn't as effected by temperature and IT doesn't cut through it as well. You can put a core in it (Tissue paper works well) to further aid prevention of the thread cutting through. You can also color it (Marker, make up, etc...).

Having said that. The only "wax" I've ever really liked for IT work is the stuff Steve Fearson sells and recommends.

For non-IT work with wax (Such as card on ceiling). Go to the dental section of a store and look for dental wax. It's soft wax they put on braces to prevent irritation. Also at craft stores where they have the candle crafts you can find a small tin of stuff called "stick um" which is the best "Magicians wax" I've ever used.

Hope that helps.

Ron Jaxon

Ron Jaxon
Jaxon will wax be more invisable one the skin ( under finger nail) than putty for IT work?

This is why I'm looking for clear wax so that when its stuck to my finger it looks semi invisable
Well, "Transparency" doesn't necessarily equal "invisibility". I know you know this but it's easy to assume something being clear would be less visible. But I really don't think that's true in this matter. You're best bet with this would be more like camouflage. This I know you already know as well because it's the reason you mentioned the flesh colored putty.

You can make flesh colored putty be mixing make up with it. Here's a link to a google search of mounting putty images and you'll see that some of them are white (Such as Scotch and UHU tack.
http://tinyurl.com/4fb6rp8

Mix white putty with flesh colored make up (Some other colors might work as well such as yellow). The first time you do this go sparingly at first. To much of the oily make up with make the putty to soft. To much of the powder will dry it out. OF course you can remedy either (If to soft add some powder and so forth). I can't give an exact recipe because the putty and make ups differ. But find the right combination and you'll have a life time supply of the flesh putty. You can also color it different colors. IF you want it black you can Spread the putty out like a pizza doe. Color it with a marker. Mix it up and color it come more and just repeat the process until it's the color you want.

Also keep in mind that in most cases your finger nail isn't the focus of attention. So as long as it's not something that's standing out like a red thumb you should be fine.

Hope that helps.

Ron Jaxon
[quote]
On 2011-01-16 20:42, mrunge wrote:
It's got to hit it FLAT and HARD! If not, it won't.

Mark.
[/quote]

That's the hardest part when throwing the deck. Practice, practice, practice. That's a lot of cards on the floor to clean each time! lol

Also, I may put to little of the wax. Will put more, Brad.

Thanks, guys for the tips.

Best
Dom
Wal mart has the sticky tack you need in the stationary department section. I just purchased some after around 5 years of using it I finally needed more. Just alittle bit goes a long way.
You might also look at nose/scar putty (Ben Nye is the brand I use most often.) It comes in a couple of different flesh shades and is very tacky. http://www.frendsbeautysupply.com is where I get mine.

Hope that helps!
Obviously depends what you need it for, but I find a product called "Stick-Um Candle Adhesive" works well. Comes in a handy round tin too. A little dab'll do ya!
Out of curiosity I understand some peopleuse bees wax for thread work. Would you use hard or soft?

D
[quote]
On 2011-01-17 14:09, Jaxon wrote:

Having said that. The only "wax" I've ever really liked for IT work is the stuff Steve Fearson sells and recommends.

Great stuff, better than the flesh putty that comes with the Le Clair Animator dvd.
Magicians wax is the same wax orthodontists use with their paitents who wear braces. You can get it at any drug store or orthodontist office.I just compared the wax my daughter got yesterday with my magicians wax. It is exactly the same stuff.

Twist
Owen,

Bees wax generally has a high cost depending on the purity.
In the supermarket and or your international section and some do have it, the cheese section like for example baby bellcheese or any soft mozzarella type have a wax coat, it's very good wax. I use it.
In your fine theatrical costume and make-up shops clown section.

This one may sound a bit morbid: Local mortician.
The best wax out there is Mesika wax by Yigal Mesika. It comes in pellet form (just the right size)
and in a neat little tim. Its expensive - but it is good.
Hi guys

Please can someone tell me what is the best magicians to use for cards as I would like to make up a deck of 26 matching pairs of cards with red and blue back's that hold firm but are easy to spread apart when needed as I would like to try an alternative to roughing spray.
If you want an adhesive that is very close to invisible look into Tony Gerrard's Card Attack. It's not wax, but it could be used to attach IT to skin. The invisibility would depend on the handling.
Hard wax definitely needs to be rolled and broken in. You want hard wax for IT or ITR work. I use Mesika wax when using a ITR. I like that it comes in individual pellets and it is clear.