(Close Window)
Topic: A friend approaches you with a deck of cards...
Thanks mumplepeas for that [b]whopping[/b] post!!!

That must have taken you abolutely ages to type out. I will try this out as soon as possible. I get asked to do this many times so I don't think it will be that long before I get to try these effects out. :D

Thanks again for typing this out. I appreciate it. :)

Take care,
I'd perform Paul Harris' Las Vegas Leaper. It's a really easy effective 'Cards Across' routine.
I've mentioned Devastation before (it's in Geoff Williams lecture notes with permission from Tom Dougherty) as a great impromptu trick with a dog eared deck.

I also recently got Pit Hartling's Little Green Lecture tape and there's a great three card prediction on it. I love the effect but not the setup and fishing for the name of one card. I've come up with a handling that allows it to be completely impromptu, all the spectators shuffle, no fishing for names.

The first person selects a card by both touching it and looking at it. The second by just looking without touching. The third shuffles and takes any card and hides it without looking at it. You find the first two cards and the mate of the last.

Scott
I do a simplex Triumph.

Sorry I was working on something else and realised that I just posted an effect almost in it's entirity. Don't know what I was thinking. Anyway sorry
There's a trick you can do with no set-up and with any deck of cards. It doesn't even have to be a full deck.

It's called Impossible Change. It does require a paper clip, but don't you always carry around one anyway??? If you can do a double lift, you can do this one.

Anyway you can read the effect here

[url=http://magic.about.com/library/tricks/bltrick81a.htm]Impossible Change[/url]

I used it and it works really well.

Try it out
:wavey:
if you want something simple yet powerful, just force some cards on several spectators. then pretend to read their mind and reveal each of their cards! believe me! it will blow their mind despite it is so simple!!!
Here's an idea, If they have a Bicycle deck, maybe you could do a quick deck switch and use an invisible deck. :) :bluebikes: :bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes: :fruity:
A great trick for a battered deck is the following:
Have the deck shuffled and remove two prediction cards laying them face down on the table.
Have the spec deal as many cards as he likes into a pile on the table.
Discard the rest of the deck and ask the spec to pick up the dealt pile and deal that into two piles.
Turn the top card of each pile over and reveal that they match your tabled predictions.

This is one of the easiest tricks I know but it is also very effective being that 99% of the trick happens in the spec's hands. It is also a great one to do with a knackered deck as it is absolutely sleightless.

I'm presuming that you know how this works, if not PM me and I'll let you know.
Hmmmm...since I don't make a habit of carrying roughing fluid or running with scissors... :carrot:

I'd go for a couple of simple ones, that require absolutely no setup...

- Bob Longe's "What a Mess" (my newest favorite impromptu trick)
- Vernon's "Twisting the Aces"
- Daley's Last Trick

Man, if you can't get a jaw-drop from those three...go back and re-practice!
I would do my in the hands triumph or a trick called the 2 brothers that I got from some college math professor on a magic board many years ago. People really seem to enjoy those two effects.

:devilish:
"Untouched" by Daryl is a good impromptu effect with no set-up. It is similar to the one that Damion suggested. :bigdance: :bikes:
What about some simple number forces with a few predictions or different revelations.
There really are a lot of different things you can do, only your knowledge and skill will dictate the limits. ;)

One of my favorites is the [i]Twins[/i] effect by [b]Brother John[/b] (Ammar handling), any good Four Ace trick (Regardless of what magicians may say, lay people love Ace effects), or a good Ambitious card routine. If the situation is right, I may even do some kind of Matrix trick, it just depends.

There are of course many more, but listed above are a few of my own personal favorites.
:smoke:
If the deck is in relatively good condition then there's nothing stopping you from performing some of your favourites.

I'd go for Paul Harris' "Cue Cards".
Ortiz's "Jazz Aces".
I may even "wave the aces" a la Guy Hollingworth - people have thought that there has been something dodgy with the cards when I have performed this, so to do it with a borrowed deck would be stupendous.

If the deck's a little beat up then there is an excellent, in the spec's hands effect called "stop".
Can't remember who it's by exactly.

If you have your deck on you as well, why not perform a simple "do as I do" effect?
That tends to go down well.

I agree with most here.
Predictions, self workers.
All can be killers [i]with the correct presentation.[/i]

Stephen
:carrot: :banana: :pepper: :cucumber:
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Apr 30, 2002 04:12PM)
With an evil glint in my eye, I begin by dealing out 21 cards...

:evilgrin:
The first trick I learned was in a pub by an old man, sitting on his own.

It was a simple, straight-forward trick that leaves spectator feeling like he did the magic.

It goes like this.

1. Take the deck, then thumb through the cards (face-up) on the pretence of counting them.

2. Remember the third card from the bottom (face-up) eg 7C.

3. Then tell spectator you will use a random number - in this instance the sevens.

4. Again thumb through the pack and remove the other 3 sevens, leaving the 7C still 3rd from bottom.

5. Throw other sevens face down as you remove them.

6. Square the deck and place face down onto table (now 7C is 3rd from top).

7. Flash the other 3 cards to spectator stating "here we have 3 sevens" then table them face down next to pack.

8. Ask spectator to take top card off top of deck and place on table, then take one of the sevens and place on top of first card.

Repeat this process twice more so new pile has all 3 sevens separated by alternative cards.

9. Stress to spectator that they have separated the 7s with indifferent cards.

10. Do your magic tap, then tell spectator all the sevens have jumped together and turn over top 3 cards of new pile to show 3 sevens.

Obviously they aren't the same three sevens that you flashed at step 7, but spectator won't know that.

Another quick impressive trick if you can get hold of a second deck is "DO AS I DO" which is still one of my favourites. :rotf:
This sounds great MagicDave!

I also know an effect where it leaves the spectator feeling like they did the magic...

In the end of it you end up with four piles of four cards - each pile arranged into the shape of a square. The spectator selects two of the squares, which you remove. Then one of the squares, which you remove. Two cards, then one card (all removed) and the final card is the card that the spectator originally chose...

Take care,
With a full deck, Untouched would be 1st choice with maybe a couple more self workers, double prediction, 1 step ahead etc.

Follow this up with one of the many sandwich tricks using the Jokers or Aces.

Maybe take any 4 of a kind (usually 4 Aces) and do a Twisting the Aces routine - McClintock Twist being the best version or if you're close up, Shaking the Aces.

I'd then finish with some mentalism style tricks - Possibly Out of this World, Double Think, Spread your Mind, Mark Mason's Think of a Card, Jerry Sadowitz's 'Out of Order' and certainly ending with Paul Hallas's excellent one from Mindmagic 2001 with a crimp instead of the (ahem) Maybe Paul can tell us the name.

This leaves you back to where you started, the cards back in their box.

Groovy
There's gold in those older books. I have been having fun with a trick of Gerald Kosky (The Magic of Gerald Kosky, 1975, Magic Limited OOP.) Essentially, when someone hands you their pack of cards and says, "Show us a trick!" you have him/her shuffle the deck, cut off half, look at the card he/she cut to, and then replace the top half of the deck. Then have him deal the top four cards in a row, and ask him to continue dealing all of the cards out into the four packets. Then have him look at the faces of each of the four packets, and he retains the packet in which he sees his card. Moving the other three packets aside, ask the spectator to name his card, and then have him deal out a card for each letter of the magic word "P-r-e-s-t-o." Believe it or not, when he turns over the last card at "o," it is the selected card.

Try this and amaze yourself. If he cuts close to the center, your spectator will arrive "spot-on" his card. The late Mr. Kosky explains what to do if the card is one or two cards away. If you do any spelling tricks, you'll know what to do for alternate endings. This is a surprising, "spectator-as-magician" trick. I didn't want to expose the explanation, since it's not my effect, but it will work if you follow the description. If you are unfamiliar with this and run into trouble, PM me.
Assuming that the deck is beat to &#)), I'd do "Out of this World" (the non-set up version by [I think] Sid Lorraine).
Could someone PM me and at least tell me what the EFFECT of "Do As I DO" is? I asked somewhere else in the Café, and now I can't find the thread.

It sounds very familiar, like an effect I used to do years ago... I think with a prompt or two, it would come back to me. So much is coming back to me...

Thanks, someone... "Is there anybody out there???" :question: ???

alleycat :kitty:
Watch the film "Magic" starring Anthony Hopkins. You will not only see the effect but will get a good idea of how to play it strong. (I am not joking, I am very serious about this).

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

[quote]
On 2002-04-20 04:43, David Smyth wrote:
They ask you to perform some card magic for them. What would you perform?
[/quote]

If they were magicians, I would show them card warp, the latest linking card routine or a torn and restored card trick. They'll never ask again!

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
With a borrowed deck of cards...hmmm..the second strongest thing is "Untouched" from Daryl, and the very strongest would be Paul Harris' Las Vegas Leaper...WOW...that's strong! Try it, there are a few different incarnations of the handling, from the Stars of Magic video, to his original book, to the updated handlings. They're all great.

Steve Thomas
There's a great effect in Paul Cummins' "From A Shuffled Deck In Use" called 'Old Faithful' which never fails to amaze. It's an Ambitious Card routine with three cards where the Ace of Spades keeps rising to the top. Just when the spectators think they've got the trick figured out ("Hey, all three of the cards are aces"), you turn the cards over one by one to reveal that they are all red aces. Great effect, totally impromptu, but requires a little bit of skill.

A good combo is to get the deck ready for Out of This World while looking for the 3 cards you're going to use for Old Faithful. Then after you're done with Out of This World, follow it up with "This Is Mindreading?" form Harry Lorayne's Close-Up Card Magic. It's a really great 1-2-3 routine with some of the strongest effects and themes in card and mental magic.

Good luck,
kou
In Eugene Burger's book, that was a compilation of his booklets, has a great effect called "Psychic Sense". It was originally in his booklet called "Rediscoveries". It is similar to Daryl's "Untouched" from "Daryl Does Den Haag", but I prefer the Burger version.

A number of tapes come to mind when it comes to impromptu card magic:

Real World Magic -- Mark Mason (I think it's in 2 volumes, now)

Card Stunts -- Gregory Wilson

Double Take -- Gregory Wilson

I Spell Magic F-U-N -- Dick Stoner

More I Spell Magic F-U-N -- Dick Stoner
If I don't have a table I do these in order..

2 Card Monte
my own Card to Cardcase or pocket
Eddie Fechter's, That's It!

if more are requested...

Ambitious card
Jennings card/Deck to pocket

If I've got a table I add these in
depending on factors...

Las Vegas Leaper
Twins
Jumping Gemini
Smiling Mule (I think it's called)
I am surprised that no one mentioned the Classic Ambitious card trick... or maybe I just passed it up. I am a lazy reader so I tend to just scan through the really long post.
:coolspot:
David you said
[quote]
I also know an effect where it leaves the spectator feeling like they did the magic...
[/quote]

Do what fooled you when you got started... Something you will like to perform over and over again. It doesn't matter what we tell you. It has to come from within you. Most important When you are done learning the trick, add yourself. Change the patter to fit you just the right way. Become David
Not some kid that does tricks.

For me, I do what people like, and if they don't I learn something else. Just remember you are not doing magic for the mirror.
:dance:
Well if you can't somehow pull off a deck switch then take it and get down on it. But don't just think of any trick. Feel the cards and how they work. Some cards are impossible to do some sleights with. And try to stay away from tricks where you have to have set up. I would go for the Ambitious card routine. Pull a DL and a couple of passes.
Have them think of a card as you spread the deck in front of their eyes; casually ask if the deck is complete as you do so. (Whatever they answer, carry on). Try to find the card. If you fail, ask them to call it out. When they do, tell them that you are pretty sure that that card is not in the deck (this is done with an attitude of puzzlement, not accusatory).

Spread through the deck to show that the card is not there. Ask for the name again; pull it out of your pocket... "Lucky for you, I just happen to have an extra one on hand".

Follow with your best colour change sequence.
Segue with Triumph, but get them to deal through the deck (watching for face up cards) and end up with the selected card stuck on your forehead.

Ftarsinic mentioned Jumping Gemini (within a very good set, may I add). Of course, you need reasonably clean cards, so that rules out some borrowed decks with spagetti stains and bent corners. When I perform it, whether impromptu or not, I always play up the fact that I do not always carry cards with me, except for 4 special cards for a special trick. During the pitch, I cull and palm the appropriate cards and extract "those special cards" from my wallet.

If it is from a borrowed deck, and if it completes the previous Think a Card routine, the sight of more cards from my pocket (or wallet) is rather unsettling for the spectators. Especially with the empty hands convincers in print, notably Ortiz's and Kurtz's.

Doing the sequence, and returning the deck to its owner, is rather unsettling.

(the two other queens are on the bottom of the deck. A cut, prior to returning, centralises them).
Message: Posted by: Steven the Amusing (Jul 27, 2002 04:48PM)
I've found the best spectator reaction I get is from the old standby "Designed for Laughter" by Hugard/Braue in the [i]Royal Road to Card Magic[/i]. It's also called "Trick Switch" on the [url=http://www.ellusionist.com/order/trick.html]Ellusionist site[/url].

I have developed patter for it which I call [url=http://ring216.tripod.com/slc/magic/cards/psycho_switch.html]Psycho Switch[/url].
I too would recommend Gemini Twins (or any variant thereof). Allan Ackerman has a variation where the selection works for four cards instead of the normal two.

My other choices would be "Twisting the Aces" or one called "Vernon's Variant". This last one gets them involved as well, and you can have as many participate as you have cards to hand out.

David
Well if a friend of mine gave me a deck of cards, I would do something with aces, for example, there are a lot of routines with aces or tricks like those.

Actually, last Friday I went to my friend's house and his little brother made me do some card tricks. He gave me a deck of cards and I began. I did a lot of aces tricks, I did Reset from Paul Harris, I did the Travelers Aces from Paul Harris and a lot of other tricks.

There are many possibilities to do with a deck of cards.
I'll do Ambitious Card or Las Vegas Leaper if it's only one person. If there are at least two people, I'll throw in Sankey's and Sanders Change Places Aces which is *very* fun and has a cool kicker climax. And if I'm lucky enough to have a rubberband on me, I can do the cool Rubberband Rise thing from Sankey.
I would use a little routine from Paul Curry's [i]Worlds Beyond[/i] called Two Card Routine. It is a nice nine-phase card routine but you can always shorten it if you like. I always do it as a seven-phase routine.

There is also another one that is really easy (the two-card routine isn't really easy). It's called You're a Liar. If you want details on that one, send me a PM.
There is a good trick from Aldo Columbini. I think it's Decksterity or something like that. It involves making a prediction on how many cards will be turned over after numerous cuts and flips from a spectator—virtually self-working.

Also, I just wrote a raving review of a telephone trick from David Regal's new [i]Constant Fooling[/i] vol. 1 book, most impromptu card magic. It's an awesome killer. Basically, after a spectator picks a card face-down and reinserts it anywhere into the deck, you pull the cards immediately above and below where they are stuck their selection. Then you cut the deck once and have them cut the packet into another two piles, turn up the cards "they've" cut to and suddenly they realize the cards they are looking at represent their very own PHONE NUMBER!
The Aldo Colombini trick is on his Lasting Impressions video vol 2. It's called Pre-Deck Ability and it's killer, but does need a bit of a set-up.
Bob Longe has a book called worlds greatest card tricks. (regular decks no set up)
Message: Posted by: Magnus Maccormack (Aug 11, 2002 01:08AM)
[quote]
On 2002-07-16 01:37, MagicManDennis wrote:
I am surprised that no one mentioned the Classic Ambitious card trick... or maybe I just passed it up. I am a lazy reader so I tend to just scan through the really long post.
:coolspot:
[/quote]

The trick that fooled Houdini. How can you go wrong?

I like to throw in a few selection/prediction tricks as well. Mac King had a cute little card revelation in his book "Tricks With Your Head."

Fan through the cards (faces toward you) sniffing deeply every few cards. As you come to the selection (obviously you will have to already know it) take a deep sniff moving your nose to the middle of the card using it to cause the card to rise out of the fan. As it rises you should be able to grasp the bottom of the card with your mouth, turning it over to reveal it for your spectator.

It's goofy, but then so is Mac King. The book is a fun read. :rotf:
I once had someone hand me a beat up deck to show them something. I asked if all the cards were there. The guy said most of them were, but there was an ace missing. When I looked thru the deck-all the aces were there. So I pulled out three of them and showed everyone as I put them face down on the table. I then told them I needed 4 aces for this, but I guess I could use a 2 for the last ace. Just a quick double later when I turned over all 4 cards to show the 2 had turned into the missing ace-jaws dropped. Then I went into a 4 ace routine. Now I always ask if the cards are all there. Or I will miscount them and say there is one missing.
If the deck is REALLY battered, check that your friend doesn't mind losing the deck and then do Card Warp.

I find that you can do the set up as you are apparently considering what to do and under the cover of dividing the deck in half and riffle shuffling (hold deck with right thumb extended under deck and do the preparation by pushing down with the left thumb - it takes a little practice, but works OK as there is no heat on you and the move has no apparent purpose linked to trickery). Bold, but entirely doable with suitable misdirection.

This will blow their mind ... and means that they have to buy a NEW deck for you to show off the rest of your repertoire next time!
If I'm feeling really lazy I'll do something "self working" but strong.

Daryl's "untouched" or perhaps the "Gemini Twins"
Here's an interesting idea. Since the deck has been given to you, you can go through the entire pack asking whatever ("Is this a full deck", "Let me make sure that the jokers are out"). Under cover of checking whatever you said you are checking, you can cull cards. Find four aces or something. This is an example when a borrowed deck is actually a great thing, because you cannot cull cards so openly with your own deck (who would believe you if you said you're going to check whether your own deck has all the aces).
I like to do Dingle's 'All Backs with Selection' with a borrowed deck. Its a great routine, totally impromptu, with very entertaining patter (this version of 'all backs' actually makes sense to a layperson, in virtue of the story that you tell), and with someone else's deck it seems truly impossible. Check it out in "The Complete Works of Derek Dingle". :bluebikes:
In reading over the responses to the original question, I'm surprised that so many suggestions were just thrown out there as to what trick to do, but no one has asked: Who am I doing them for? Is it a male or female? Is there a large group, just a few, or one? Is the person asking the intellectual type, the sensitive type, the compassionate type, or what? Is the request one for entertainment, out of curiosity, or to present a challenge? Who are you dealing with here?

Michael Skinner was fantastic about picking the absolutely perfect effect for the spectator of the moment. He would always size them up and select an effect he thought would cater to their character type. Some tricks are analytical, some are tactile, some are funny, some are mysterious, etc., and I don't see how one favorite can work best for every spectator. What in part made Skinner such a wonderful magician was that he always included the audience in the equation.

That said, I'd do any trick that included a diagonal palm shift, because it just nails them.

Thanks,

TCR
I like to personalize my magic to what the spectator thinks *of me.* I'm 14, so I'll act clumsy, and shuffle the deck back to front (usually I'll do an absent-minded mid-air riffle shuffle). I actually do a triumph shuffle. Then, when they tell me I've done it wrong (they always wait until after I've finished), I spread the deck, with all the cards beautifully arranged.

It's fast, simple, and about two inches away from being a sucker trick.

At that point, just about anything you do will seem miraclous, so I stick with simple stuff. Finding a card with the one handed cut from Dai Vernon's Cutting the Aces is pretty, and looks like it takes lots of skill. I just flow out from there, sometimes even (scary, but often works) making it up as I go! Once people are over their first fears, they'll flash their card, or forget to ask obvious questions.
I mainly do card effects with a normal deck so I'm really good when someone asks for a card trick out of the blue. Over the years I have had a number effects but I have come down to a few which prove fruitfull for me.

This is my routine in order of performance:

Astounding Appearance by Bob Long
Twisting the Aces (own version)
Heir to the Throne by Milton Kort
Elevator Aces

Magically

Aus
I'd do the three card prediction that you can find in Eugene Burger's Mastering the Art of Magic.
I just do whatever effect I feel like. Most my friends are easy to fool (pure laypeople) so I don't have to strain to amaze them. I could make a massive post naming all the impromptu effects I know but I won't. How about Pick-a-card and I'll reveal it reversed in the middle of the deck. Simple enough.
Magically, Jack :yippee:
Yesterday I was asked to do something with a borrowed deck while at work. Didn't have much time, so I did a simple crosscut force, and announced what her card was. I named the wrong card on purpose, with 12 people watching me.

After making them believe I was stumped, I had one of the guys go across the room to the printer, and had him pick up the piece of paper that was there. As he held it up to the group, he read the words "You will choose the King of Clubs!" Thankfully, I earlier had about a five minutes where I could run to the office and have the page printed.

Not a big routine or trick, but short and to the point. It was enough to amaze a lay audience, and to cause them to applaud (especially since they thought I messed up).

Brian
Fingered #3 from Simon Lovell's first book. It has a great plot, a surprise ending, and the magic happens in their hands. Completely impromptu, and only a couple of sleights (control and DL).
I'd start off with Ambitious Card. Triumph, 2 card monte, gemini twins, then my Vegas cheat routine.
I like a lot of the ones mentioned above, but you might want to check out J.C. Wagner's Impromptu Out of this World -- it is a Great Trick and will work with any deck, no mater what condition.
2 Card Monte and Ambitious Card Routine. Flawless tricks with an un-prepared deck.
Let's see... I would start off with a trick that I saw on Jaw Droppers. Where you would have your friend shuffle the cards then make 3 even piles then have them pick a pile shuffle it and look at the top card.

They then place the card on top of another pile but face up... then they place the third pile on top of the other two face down. Have them riffle shuffle one more time and cut the cards.

You then spread out the cards and pick their card. The best part of this effect is that you are nowhere near the cards when they are doing all the work... you just spread and find.

Then after that one while I was fixing the cards I would set it up for the drunken shuffle.

Then follow up with, Just for Laughs (this one can be found in Royal Road to Card Magic).

Hope this helps.
George
I am wondering why a friend would do that to me. If I was in the mood to do a trick I would probably do face to face aces, if I wasn't in the mood I'd do Card Warp and hand the deck back.
Jay Sankey's Back in Time!
A friend of mine handed me a deck at a party last night and insisted on some magic. So I start to look at the deck and rant hystericaly, "Where the hell did you get this deck, and why is it in such bad condition? Do you know how valuable these are?"
Then he asks why and I say "Look man, I'll show you."
So I riffle through the deck, and ask him to say stop. He does and looks at his card, then places it back in the deck and he shuffles it. I start to stare at the deck and then into his eyes and say "9 of clubs"; his jaw dropped along with everyone in the room. Then I said I wasn't ever going to use those cards again.
Man they're too valubale, so I get away with doing only one trick with an old beat up set of cards which he now thinks are goddly.
Forgot the name of the effect but its the first effect in Royal Road--spectator cuts in four piles to four aces. Self working with a minimum of set up.
With two decks, Do As I Do--both of you shuffle decks, switch decks, both shuffle again, etc, choose cards, the cards turn out to be the same. Easy and miraculous if handled well.
landmark
If a friend hands me a deck and insists on some magic, I tell him I'll vanish the deck and put it in my pocket. I never have to buy cards these days, ha ha! :bg:
I also like performing Sankey's 'Back in Time, then follow it up with Cody Fisher's 'Table-hopping Triumph'. It rocks!

-Jared
Ambitious Card comes to mind, but I think I would do "Hary the one armed gambler" by Father Cyoerian. A great one handed poker routine where the spectator shuffles the cards. Also I would do hir rubber band cutting the deck. :bluebikes:
I'd probably do the card to pocket, and the one where I have them freely select a card, loose it into the deck, then put the deck up to my forehead and predict their card, and reveal it in some cool way. :bluebikes:
Triumph or Ambitious Card routine.
1. Untouched

2. Do as I do with 1 deck

3. OOTW

4. ...

Peter Vanspauwen
This question is easy. The first trick I would do is Dai Vernon's Triumph. Not prep and it's very easy. The best trick for any laymen.
[quote]
On 2003-07-11 01:12, landmark wrote:
Forgot the name of the effect but its the first effect in Royal Road--spectator cuts in four piles to four aces. Self working with a minimum of set up.
[/quote]
"A Poker Player's Picnic", minimal setup good effect. I use it sometimes to start other four aces tricks.

I sometimes try to avoid "pick a card and find it out" tricks, maybe because my friends are a bit skeptic and don't like to be challenged.

Bong
Assuming that no table would be available and the cards would be worn, I might do the following:[list][*]Dr. Daley's Last Trick
[*]Twisting the Aces (I doubt old cards would hinder an Elmsley count)
[*]The Ambitious Card (the routine I do doesn't require a table)[/list]I would stick with the tried and true classics.

Actually, I don't get this opportunity too often. But I can see that performing with a borrowed deck would probably strengthen the overall impression in the spectators' minds.

Emily B.
Gemini Twins, Ambitious Card, and Twisting the Aces
My choice is always to do a standard "pick a card—blahblahblah—is this your card?" trick, then when people laugh, follow it with:

"I'm glad that you enjoyed the magic, some people feel kinda threatened by it and start trying to make my life difficult. Like, a while back I was doing the trick I just showed you, but decided to add in an extra riffle shuffle so it would look more impressive..."

Where during this patter I start the trick (have them select a card, I control to top) then set up for the riffle shuffle and...cue Triumph.

It's a great follow on. Start with a card finding trick, then repeat it but halfway through the second rendition—and here I'm always telling a story about the time I tried this trick at a festival with lots of drunk people—it becomes Triumph.

Oh...and then Vernon's Out of Sight to finish it off.

Oh, as an addition to that, if I'm feeling particularly confident I'll do:

Twisting the Aces*
The Last Trick of Dr. Daley*
Out of Sight...**

Two different (easy) routines that require no setup. It just depends how comfortable everything feels, because even at the best of times my hands are shaking around like a mess. :)

*Thank you Ammar
**Learned from an illusionist video
[quote]
On 2002-04-20 09:01, Platt wrote:
Great question, David.

Here's my advice: Always carry roughing fluid with you. When they hand you a deck, excuse yourself to the bathroom. While in the bathroom make an invisible deck out of the cards. It only takes twenty minutes or so. In my experience, if you making groaning sounds, they'll just think you're constipated and shouldn't question a thing.

Perform invisible deck.

To get the cards back to normal, simply ask for any upset stomach medication (Pepto is a good choice) and get back to the bathroom. They won't suspect a thing! Gently rub the back of each card with a damp towel, let dry, and casually hand the cards back to the owner. There you have it. Magic at a moments notice.

Another good idea is turning their deck into a stripper deck. A pair of scissors, a little super glue (for repair), and you're all set for another impromptu miracle.
[/quote]
You have to love this man's sense of humor!
HaHa!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:spinningcoin:

Oh yeah, I would have to say I like "I should have done it myself" off the Bill Malone DVDs. Very simple to do and it gets a good laugh.
Phil Goldstein's "Destiny" from the [i]Green Book of Mentalism[/i]. Works great with beat up cards.
I have a great problem when this happens, because the cards used normally here in Brazil are not the same quality of Bicycle cards (I prefer an old Bicycle than a new one from here). Then what do I do?[list][*]Sinergy
[*]Some force to reveal later as I'm reading his mind (this has better reactions than I expected)
[*]Untouched
[*]I don't know the name: after the spectator puts the card back in the deck, he holds it in his backs and inserts a face-up card in the middle and it is exactly over the selected card.[/list]
I do an ambitious card (I love this trick) and I also do a trick using the erd******* colour change.

:bluebikes: :bikes: :bikes: :bluebikes:
OOTW if only one trick (still believe it's the best card trick of the 20th century).

If two tricks, then start with Ambitious Card.

If three, then start with a spelling trick (using a simple key card approach).
:firedevil:
I usually do a Zenneth Twist or if I'm really feeling ambitious I do a move by Daryl (hahahahah—no? OK. :( )

And another good one is Card in Pocket.
You should do the four aces routine (on top of the deck). :goodluck:
I would suggest either The Biddle or The Ambitious Card routine. These are great effects and require no setup at all.
Ambitious Card
Two Card Monte
Any Card Force and read their minds ;)
I would do a number of the routines listed if I knew what the deck condition was. That is the vital ingredient. If the deck is in poor shape, a lot of sleights most likely won't work.

So under this condition, what would you do? First thing I would do would be to glance the top and bottom card, and if the cards allowed sleights after some fast checking, I'd reverse one in the center of the deck.

Now you have endless ideas possible.

MM
Well, you can never be too sure about the quality of the cards, so I'll have to agree with

the

SPELL-TO MYSTERY
using the key card approach. if not, you can use an injog to do it and pick up from there...

otherwise you can do Ambitious Card depending on how the condition of the cards might suit your sleights.
Ok giggip just mentioned this but I'm already to the end of the posts so I am gonna second the biddle trick.It's any easy sleight to learn and very impressive.I get great reactions.I also use it when a spectator insists on shuffling the cards when I don't want them to . :wavey:
Kundalini Card Rise
Out of This World
Gemini Twins
Unadulterated Cutting The Aces
and Clairvoiance (by John Guastaferro / Brainstorm video)

Enjoy,
Rannie
I'm a big fan of Brother John Hammon's Twins, Vernon's Twisting the Aces, Daley's Last Trick, and Fechter's That's It! If the deck was beat up enough that it would beat up my presentation, I would definitely do Untouched, in part because I just learned it a couple days ago. :hmm:

Mike
I always keep a three-trick routine ready that can be done using any deck of cards at moment's notice:[list=1][*]Totally Baffling Card Control (PaulGordon)—the kings are seen and placed into different places in the deck and all gather at the top of the deck.[*]Dr. Daley's Last Trick (Bill Malone)—I believe David Blaine did this trick on one of his specials as well. The aces are separated by color and switch places while they are in the spectators' hands.[*]Card on the Back of the Hand (Bill Malone)—awesome trick!!! Never fails to get a great reaction.[/list]
I have a lot of success with Mark Willson's Automatic Card Discovery. Have the selected card turn face up in the deck. Great reactions for impromptu magic.
I assume that most of the time the cards are in shocking condition. I like tricks where they do the magic and you just instruct. I do a "you do as I do" with my own deck (I always carry one) where to spectators select three exact cards without me touching the cards using some forces.

I do a routine where one spectator selects a card and then they count few cards and know which card the spectator selected. I can't recall the name and I do prediction. Most of the above use forces.

If they insist to see more I say your cards are Sh---ocking and then use my own deck.
I like to do Wack Your Pack. If the cards have a white border, I do Twisting the Aces. If I can have some set-up time, I do Pre Deck Ability or Out of This World. Ambitious Card never fails.

If in good condition, I like to do Snap Change. I also do "one-handed pass" (name of trick, not actually one-handed pass). Two Card Monte as well.
Harry Murphy:

I tried your first trick suggestion a few times today when asked to show something and it met with good reactions. I added a little where you false shuffle the deck first (after "removing the jokers/checking to see if any cards were missing"), toss out the top card, shuffle again, toss out the second card, shuffle again and then are good to go. :) It got some really good reactions!
I'd perform Reset.
Or a Sandwich effect.
Or an Ambitious Card routine.
Or an Oil and Water routine.
Or a Triumph.

I don't know, too many choices.
A trick I love to do when someone tries to hand me a deck of cards and says do a trick is Daryl's Untouched. I like to say, "Let me think of a card and you find it. I won't even touch the deck."

Then I do the routine and it kills!

Shawn D
No matter what the condition is, usually you can always do a key card effect.

I try to keep it simple with good impact, then give the cards away.

MM
Design for Laughter is the correct name of RRTCM trick mentioned and it's a great magician in trouble effect, as it really brings in the spectators emotionally. It's an impromptu favorite of mine and the way I play it, especially for a group of new spectators who are doubting of my skills as a magician, is to reaffirm their doubts and explain that I just starting working on this trick and I'm not sure if it will work. It sets the stage for the magician in trouble premise.

You need to control to the bottom and do a glide. I've been doing this effect more and more when someone hands me a deck, as I get a lot of enjoyment out of the effect and the spectators are baffled. The magician in trouble overtone misdirects their attention enough that they don't pay attention to any sleights, not like they're that difficult anyway, so you can really ham up the performance. When the revelation finally occurs, I congratulate them on naming the correct number, thereby removing the sting.
Fastest Gun by Darwin Ortiz
I like
:erdnase color change andLarry andersonsa business sandwich. always gets great reactions.
I argee with Shawn D. Daryl's Untouched (Ammar Vol. 4)is worth learning and in the right conditions (not loud parties, ect.) Larry Jennings' Immpossible (Ammar Vol.6) is very powerful.

Some overlooked masterpieses are:
Learn Magic --Henry Hay
(some great insight into misdirection, don't overlook it as too much of a "beginners" book)

The Amatuer Magician's Handbook--Henry Hay
(another inexpensive must) for a GREAT impromtu effect look at the optical fan location p. 113, learn a few "outs" and you'll have some smooth magic

Close-Up Card Magic --Harry Lorayne
I really like Vernon's "Out of Sight, Out of Mind." This is one of the best mentalism effects going, and it would probably work fine with an older deck.

I also like "Las Vegas Leaper" or "Whack the Pack", both by Harris.
To put in my 2 cents in a more general manner,
I always carry a small show in a fanny pack in my car, and can perform a number of effects at a moments notice.
Some of the items I carry are spong balls, ring and rope, floating pen, cards, an invisable deck,some packet tricks, a hot rod, safety pins, rubberbands,and coins, some gaffed.
This sounds like alot of stuff, but it fits nicely.
On my person I carry 1 coin, a thumb tip and a sqweeker. Oh and business cards.
I agree CK, Vernon's routine is top notch.
[quote]
On 2002-04-20 04:43, David Smyth wrote:
They ask you to perform some card magic for them. What would you perform?

Thanks,

[/quote]

"Cheesewrestler's Ultimate 52-Card Pickup Supreme Deluxe"

Take the cards and spring them into the air, using the technique in "Supersecret Inner Secrets of Magic Dai Vernon Didn't Think Were Worth Talking About".

Say, "Pick up any card."

Spectator does so.

Say, "Great! Only 51 to go!" and walk away, executing the Marlo One Foot In Front Of The Other Shuffle.

(All manufacturing rights reserved)
Excuse me, Cheesewrestler, but that trick is actually the Groucho Marx Exclusive, from the movie Duck Soup, first performed on Mrs. Teasdale at the reception for His Excellency, the President of Freedonia, Rufus T. Firefly.

Please, if you are going to credit material, get the credits right! And if you do say the secret word, the duck will come down and leave something in your soup!

Lee "Captain Spaulding" Darrow, C.H.
"The world would not be in such a snarl, if Marx had been Groucho, instead of Karl!" - Oscar Levant
[quote]
On 2006-09-11 04:37, Lee Darrow wrote:
Excuse me, Cheesewrestler, but that trick is actually the Groucho Marx Exclusive, from the movie Duck Soup, first performed on Mrs. Teasdale at the reception for His Excellency, the President of Freedonia, Rufus T. Firefly.

Please, if you are going to credit material, get the credits right! And if you do say the secret word, the duck will come down and leave something in your soup!

Lee "Captain Spaulding" Darrow, C.H.
"The world would not be in such a snarl, if Marx had been Groucho, instead of Karl!" - Oscar Levant
[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder!

However, if you watch closely you'll see that the Marx routine uses quite a different technique for the get-ready. Although this technique has been credited variously to Bro. John Hamman, Mickey Katz, and Moe, it was probably taught to Groucho by an otherwise unknown card man named W.S. Esandre.

(This is according to the book "Really Really Inside Secrets Which Dai Vernon Thought Were Lost But Actually He Left Them Right There In Plain Sight On The Kitchen Table Next To His Car Keys Because He Was Getting A Bit Forgetful By Then".)
I second Emily and Brian's suggestion - Dr. Daley's Last Trick
May I suggest Last Man Standing, by John Bannon. Simon Lovell has a very similar effect, but I forget the name.
If the cards can be faro'd, then Estimation Aces by Marlo.
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Yeah an ambitious card routine is Killer.
Pick up and go!
Leave em dazzled!
The last volume of David Regal's "Tricks" series ("Enough with the Tricks Already!") is all impromtu card magic.

There's great stuff.
[quote]
On 2002-04-20 09:01, Platt wrote:
Great question, David.

Here's my advice: Always carry roughing fluid with you. When they hand you a deck, excuse yourself to the bathroom. While in the bathroom make an invisible deck out of the cards. It only takes twenty minutes or so. In my experience, if you making groaning sounds, they'll just think you're constipated and shouldn't question a thing.

Perform invisible deck.

To get the cards back to normal, simply ask for any upset stomach medication (Pepto is a good choice) and get back to the bathroom. They won't suspect a thing! Gently rub the back of each card with a damp towel, let dry, and casually hand the cards back to the owner. There you have it. Magic at a moments notice.

Another good idea is turning their deck into a stripper deck. A pair of scissors, a little super glue (for repair), and you're all set for another impromptu miracle.

Good luck,

Platt
[/quote]

Stop stealing and telling others my ideas!!!!
Wow, lot of responses to this question!

I would do one of the following, depending on my mood...Ambitious card, OOTW or my floating card routine.

GlenD