(Close Window)
Topic: Looking for Morgans
Hello coin wizards,
I am looking into investing into some Morgan dollars. Where can I find smooth and soft Morgans? I'm sure this has been asked before so I apologize for that.
Best place is a local coin shop where you can expect to pay the going rate of silver, approximately $20-$25 per coin now for old soft circulated coins.

Posted: Jan 18, 2011 1:43pm
One other thing, Joe Mogar ( advertises here) sells ferromagnetic Morgan replicas which are very very nice. So they are $10 each so that's another option plus the magnetic property opens up another door for you too. They go by the name Magical Morgans on Joe's sight.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=397187&forum=3
In my opinion, eBay is the best place for a magician to acquire soft, matching Morgan dollars.

Your local coin shop will have an extremely limited variety of coins. If a person is both patient and careful, one can buy exactly matching condition Morgans on eBay. The more carefully you shop, the lower a price per unit you can get. At any given time during the course of a day, thousands of Morgans sell. Inevitably, the "soft" Morgans are the ones that go begging. It's the higher condition examples collectors look for.

eBay is tailor made for the patient magician who is selectively looking for worn coins that still have details, but are worn.

I've had great success on this handy auction site. I've gotten a score or so Morgan dollars, all in a nice "soft" condition that still have the appeal of good details, many with the same date. I've kept my budget under 20$ a a piece, including shipping, with no problem. Most of them I paid 15-16$ a crack.

don't bother to bid on anything that isn't well pictured. Be careful to look the photos over well for signs of uneven, or heavy wear, only in certain areas. Make sure the coins are photographed clearly on both sides, and avoid sellers with under 50 feedbacks....and obviously, only buy from USA sellers, since these are USA coins and shipping would be more from anywhere else.

I am extremely picky about the "feel" of my coins. I want them less soft than some magicians. I like a certain amount of remaining detail, but want Lady Liberty's face pretty smooth with only traces of her hair below the word "Liberty" visible. I want the coin's rim even and undamaged, with an appearance of a rim, but not much at all in the way of actual raised area left there.

One would think that shopping for this exact a requirement would be impossible....but it's actually easy, because of the huge numbers of these coins being sold every day. You simply have to have enough patience to look, and believe they exist.

I think having exactly the right sort of coins that are just perfect for you is a very personal choice for every coin magician. For casual vanishes I'd say it doesn't matter. One can vanish a coin, a ball or a shot glass, after all.

But when it comes to backpalming or intricate moves involving multiple coins hidden in the same hand...I think this is more of an exacting art/science. In the same way I paint with specfic brushes...I want to know my tools, and just what I can expect them to deliver.
Terrific advice anyone!!!
Seriously, thank you very much with all of the help.

-Eli
[quote]
On 2011-01-18 13:43, Rizzo wrote:
1 other thing.Joe Mogar ( advertises here) sell ferromagnetic Morgan replicas which are very very nice. $10 each so that's another option plus the magnetic property opens up another door for you too.They go by the name Magical Morgans on Joes sight.
[/quote]

Ferromagnetic Morgan coins are available also in E-Bay for $2.50 each including shipping.
Do ferromagnetic morgans have the same weight and feel?
I'm afraid they don't - They feel completely different, are much lighter and (To me at least) don't really look or feel much like real coins when subjected to close scrutiny. That said they do have their uses, to my mind they'd be good for stage or parlour work particularly if you need a large number for your act.

~ Pete.
I fully agree about the weight being lighter. When you see the Magical Morgans I spoke about above, they are quite nice. Up close next to real Morgans,they are identical. These are not China knock off bad quality coins.
The Chinese replica coins in IMO beside the weight factor are exactly the same as the original Morgans and they don't have any "copy" mark as is advertised. In fact I think that all the replica coins in the market are made in China.
Magical Morgans are great, even have the jumbo one. I did opt for the super model.
As much detail we always make a fuss about coins, as far as Morgans, Walking Libs, Barbers, etc. you realize laypeople have no friggin reference or clue on about these coins. Say at a kids party or not, I doubt very much the audience would be able to discern a real morgan from a fake if your say doing a 3 fly, one could just as easily use washers for goodness sakes - especially if your not offering them for examination and you would not have time in the set.
I worry more about my handling and performance than pour over the details for coins being soft, matching, etc. I say that only because the magicians I've been lucky to see perform/lecture seem to not really care. If anything, it would be size being the issue like Kennedy half dollars and so compared to Morgans, Peace, and Ikes. So I've followed that approach.
You can also post in the For Sale section for what you want here on the Café. Sometimes there are folks willing to part with sets of well worn/soft morgans they really don't use. I've come across several sellers of this, some nice sets and or coins. Good luck. :) Coin shops could have what you want but Hare makes a good point here, that ebay is a good idea as well, that's actually where I got mine. ;)

Oh and in general I agree with rk64 here...Most times it don't make much difference at all what a set of coins look like to specs, long as they look pretty similar. Most of all the rest of it is all in the magician's head as to all this deeper need for matching, IMHO. :D
Ok I think I'm going to try the "the great auction site" and see what I can find there, but one problem.
I know that the amount of wear on coins is pretty much attuned to specific taste, but I have never used morgans before, (but I find halfs are too small) so I was hoping that perhaps one or two of you could take a picture of a few of your morgans and send them to my email so I can see what the ballpark is for the correct amount of wear is for a "soft" morgan.

again thanks a bunch people.

email is - kidmagician@thefreesite.com
Worn (Soft) Morgans look like this but can vary with greater relief or less, which make some look a bit better than others.

http://www.toddlassen.com/coins/dse/lrg/softpre1921_morgan_d.jpg
These are the coins I use. There isn't any "right answer" as to the amount of wear, as it depends on the magician's aesthetic values and preferances when it comes to balancing quietness versus looks of the coins. As Morgan dollars become more worn and "flatter", you start to lose the beauty of the actual coins. I prefer coins with visible details- I want to see what looks like a raised rim, even if I cant feel it. (You don't want to feel it casually working with the coins. They are less apt to talk if you cant feel the rim of the coin with your finger or thumb. Just barely catching it with your thumbnail is okay, but no obvious feel at all.

That's just my own rule, but it makes for a pretty exact amount of wear to hunt down.

Finding coins in this state online from pictures is a matter of examining Liberty's hair below the word "Liberty" on the face side. I like a hint of hair there- but not much. On the verso, the feathers of the eagle's wings should be worn and almost gone in the upper section, the breast of the eagle should have no detail at all- it should be smooth.

Generally I have found Morgans in this state I can handle quietly, and I love how they look too.
Another photo.
That's perfect, thank you all so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These coins are so beautiful

Truly works of art
Eli, be also aware that a lot of these coins are sets, gaffed or ungaffed, and that's a big part as to their look - you have to pay for that. most times quite a bit more. ;) There are those, like me, who picked them from the garden that is ebay, :D so my coins don't look as spiffy as Hare's (though I suppose had I cared more they could have moreso than not) but to me it's more about how the specs see them as I present what I do. I'm not very fussy and don't begrudge those that care about such things, just that in the dynamic here the spec is what's most important. So if they see 4 Morgans looking generally the same, then basically they are the same to them and that's all that matters to me. But I must admit pretty coins are pretty nice as well. To each his own, but now you know the rest of the story. :)
I don't really need coins that are, the exact, same, just coins that resemble eachother. As long as the specs cant tell the difference, it doesn't matter to me.
[quote]
On 2011-01-18 22:53, Bambu wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-01-18 13:43, Rizzo wrote:
1 other thing.Joe Mogar ( advertises here) sell ferromagnetic Morgan replicas which are very very nice. $10 each so that's another option plus the magnetic property opens up another door for you too.They go by the name Magical Morgans on Joes sight.
[/quote]
Ferromagnetic Morgan coins are available also in E-Bay for $2.50 each including shipping."

How does these magnetic Morgans handle when doing a 3 coin Fly, for instance?
Seems like it could be problematic.
Hi guys.. I've also decided to get some morgans. I'm thinking of purchasing Roy Cuepper's set. I'de like to ask wich copper coins have simillar size with the morgans. On Roy Cuepper's web page says that there is an Indian 5 rupee but I can't find it anywhere.
Not sure about the cheap E bays but I can assure you, the ones from Joe Mogar are very very nice. It will not be problematic at all as they handle like regular coins unless they come in contact with a magnet as the coins themselves are not magnetic. Hope this helps

How does these magnetic Morgans handle when doing a 3 coin Fly, for instance?
Seems like it could be problematic.
[/quote]