(Close Window)
Topic: Patrick Redford DVD on Any Card at Any Number coming soon
I received an email from PATRICK REDFORD and his take on the Any Card @ Any Number plot.

See the demo video here: http://vimeo.com/19329505

"Hey Folks!

I'm very excited to announce the upcoming, March, release of a DVD
called Hands Off - my take on the Any Card @ Any Number plot.

The disc itself includes three different approaches to this classic
card puzzler. The main effect is perhaps the most exciting. It
allows for the deck of cards to remain in full view in its box the
entire time completely untouched by the performer. The subject may
remove the cards, do all the counting, and yet any card is at any
position named. The deck is clean, the box may be handled freely, and
there's no complex math to perform, no stacks to remember, and no
sleights to execute. Also the subjects really have a free choice of
naming any card and any number.

If you're familiar with my original version from Mendacity you know
that the deck couldn't be tossed out and opened by an audience
member. In this new version it can.

Also included is a stage version where the deck remains isolated in a
bag held by an audience member, removed from the bag from an audience
member, and counted by that same audience member without the performer
touching the deck.

Finally the DVD ends with a demonstration and explanation of my
Impromptu approach called Fantasy Impromptu. This version involves
one move that will take some time to master, but it's well worth
learning.

See the demo video here: http://vimeo.com/19329505 "
If the main effect plays how it reads then it is real magic , so basically it is impossible as was The original Berglas effect. Cannot possibly be done that clean I don't care what the ad reads or the demo shows it cannot possibly happen dream on.
That sounds nice, but I am a bit disappointed that the trailer is cut, and was edited in a way that we cannot see the entire routine... can you give us more details Patrick? :)
The price and purchasing source(s)?

Also, did I misunderstand this video? I only ask since, to me, the video suggests that at least two decks were in play--the one in his hand (and which he instantly changed away from [i]after[/i] the card and number were named) and the one on the mantlepiece). If that is the case, this has me wondering how many more decks, if any, might have to be used to cover all outs. I only mention this because the video has me wondering about the cleanness and practicality of the method used.

I can hardly wait for others to buy this and post reviews on this latest ACAAN effort.
I think it is not out yet
Available in March 2011
From Patrick Redford website
As Turk said, I also noticed than at 0:39 the deck is blue, he is talking about the deck he's holding (5 of clubs, number 7), and at 1:10 the deck the spectator is counting is red... disappointing! Is there not only one deck used? Is it possible to see a whole performance?
Vids won't play
From the video looks like a variant of Route 01 by David Forest,
maybe I made a mistake.

MP
It woks for me

Must be your browser..

http://vimeo.com/19329505
It's good, read Patrick's "Mendacity"... :) Jan
2 decks in play. The deck that the revelation comes from(get ready for the screaming caps) IS ON DISPLAY THE WHOLE TIME AND THE PERFORMER TOUCHES IT FOR 1 SECOND TO OPEN THE BOX. It uses a gimmick to do the work and it is very clever. If you are looking for the one that uses one deck and the performer doesn't touch the deck at all, the one that is actually magic or that requires you to get lucky, this is NOT IT. If you want a ACAAN that is easy, does not require a memorized deck, and looks like the real thing then THIS IS the one to buy. Look we understand that you have been abused and taken advantage of by ACAAN's in the past but baby we've changed I promise we will be good to you this time. Seriously though this routine is very practical just look for some of the routines of the previous version from Mendacity.

Posted: Jan 31, 2011 7:15pm
Thanks Jan for the endorsement, Here are some more.

Lord of the horses-
Auspicious Coincidence, which is, from the performance point of view, a very neat Any Card, Any Number effect. It may not be the final word on this kind of effects but it really comes close to that.

David A Whitehead-
Yes, both books are fantastic. I will post a more thorough review once I've fully digested them. His ACAAN effect is worth the price of the book. It is diabolical. And you don't need a memorized deck!

Joshua Quinn-
I've never done an ACAAN routine because the concept simply didn't excite me, but Auspicious Coincidence has changed that. Patrick's take on the effect is not only exceptionally clean and technically easy, but in reading it I found a presentational angle that appeals to me. I'll definitely be using this one.

And when the DVD comes out I am sure there will be more.
Count me in. Can't wait. I believe you Ted.
[quote]
On 2011-01-31 17:07, JanForster wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks Jan. [b]And yes, it's really GOOD.[/b]

[quote]
On 2011-01-31 19:06, ted french wrote:

Seriously though this routine is very practical [b]just look for some of the routines of the [i]previous version[/i] from Mendacity.[/b]
[/quote]

Is there a major change between this and the previous version, by way of the gimmick and/ or the handling?

:xmas:
Included there is a 1 deck impromptu version that is a fooler.
Looking forward to it. Hope to see the full performance though.
[quote]
On 2011-01-31 20:21, ted french wrote:

Included there is a 1 deck impromptu version that is a fooler.
[/quote]

Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Hey folks.

Just caught wind of this thread! Wowza!

For the record, the version that David Forest put out came out after my version so one could say his is a variation of mine. In reality, it was simply a case of independent creation. My version predates his by several years.

This is a new version that uses a special gimmick. The version from Mendacity does not allow folks to open the box themselves nor does it allow the box to be handled freely by the audience. In this new version called "Hands Off" it does.

If one wanted to, it is possible to toss the deck that's been on display and untouched by the performer out to an audience member, he or she may open the box, remove the cards, and count to the named number to find the named card. In the demo video I open the box simply because.....who cares who opens the dang box!?
[quote]
On 2011-01-31 19:06, ted french wrote:
***Look we understand that you have been abused and taken advantage of by ACAAN's in the past but baby we've changed I promise we will be good to you this time. Seriously though this routine is very practical just look for some of the routines of the previous version from Mendacity.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, Ted.

You are quite right that many in search of a practical AACAN have "have been abused and taken advantage of by ACAAN's in the past". I value your opinions quite highly and I feel certain that your assurances that this version is "very practical" does much to assuage many peoples' skepticism occasioned by past ACAANs that did not deliver in the manner a reasonable person would have read and understood the glowing ad copy of past versions to portray.

I am looking forward to Patrick's impending release of his latest AACAN version.

Mike
Have you any idea of a release date yet Patrick?
March 2011
What I don't understand is that ted french says: "The deck that the revelation comes from(get ready for the screaming caps) IS ON DISPLAY THE WHOLE TIME AND THE PERFORMER TOUCHES IT FOR 1 SECOND TO OPEN THE BOX", whereas Patrick, the creator, states that the performer doesn't need to touch the deck. Maybe ted french was talking about the version from "Mendacity", wasn't he?
[quote]
On 2011-02-01 10:41, doriancaudal wrote:
What I don't understand is that ted french says: "The deck that the revelation comes from(get ready for the screaming caps) IS ON DISPLAY THE WHOLE TIME AND THE PERFORMER TOUCHES IT FOR 1 SECOND TO OPEN THE BOX", whereas Patrick, the creator, states that the performer doesn't need to touch the deck. Maybe ted french was talking about the version from "Mendacity", wasn't he?
[/quote]

Watch the video again. It's really not a big deal.
It is important for me! I really want to purchase this, because I am a big fan of Patrick's releases, but before is ti possible to answer these questions?
- Does the performer has to touch the deck in which there is the prediction, even for one second?
- How many decks are implied?
- Is the deck that will be counted on really in FULL view before everything begins? When and how does it "appear"(because on the video, at 0:41, the red deck is NOT on the table, and at 0:57, the red deck has appeared on the table: what is the link?)
- Are there restrictions in the choice of the couple number / card?

By the way, this looks amazing, cannot wait for the release date :)
That segment of the video presents two performances edited together. In performance B, you can see that he takes the red deck from the mantlepiece behind him.
I'd say it's safe to assume that in performance A, the red deck was resting in a similar location -- in full view, but out of reach.
Price?
So why the edit?
I see just a misleading ads.

He claims that this effect is hands off, I see that he touches the deck. He takes "another" deck and for me this is not hands off.
If the method is hands off he has to ask the spectator to take the red deck and not from himself.

Hands off means: The performer doesn't touch the deck from the start to the end ever.

Just my opinion.

MP
Any precisions from Patrick, himself, to the points we are talking about? That would be great! Also, any idea of the price as it was asked before?
Once you're done, can you keep the same deck and keep performing other effects?
[quote]
On 2011-02-01 13:46, doriancaudal wrote:
It is important for me! I really want to purchase this, because I am a big fan of Patrick's releases, but before is ti possible to answer these questions?
- Does the performer has to touch the deck in which there is the prediction, even for one second?
- How many decks are implied?
- Is the deck that will be counted on really in FULL view before everything begins? When and how does it "appear"(because on the video, at 0:41, the red deck is NOT on the table, and at 0:57, the red deck has appeared on the table: what is the link?)
- Are there restrictions in the choice of the couple number / card?

By the way, this looks amazing, cannot wait for the release date :)
[/quote]

Hey there everyone.

Just to repeat the performer does not have to open the box. The subject may open the box, remove the cards, AND do all the counting UNTOUCHED by the performer. Hence the name "Hands Off"

There are two decks of cards and only two decks of cards openly in display. Actually to be clear there are no other decks in play in secret either.

The cards may be used for another effect at the conclusion of Hands Off. In fact - both decks may be used in any other effect and are left ungimmicked. The deck of cards could in fact be given away at the end of the effect as well.

The deck that will be counted down really is in full view before the effect begins.

There are no restrictions in choice of the number or the card named. This is a true any card at any number.

I hope this helps answer the questions above.
Hands off means that you don't touch the deck ever. If you touch the box and then the subject open the box and remove the cards
this effect is not hands off.

Hands off is something like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXIVQ-asqU

MP
[quote]
On 2011-02-01 10:41, doriancaudal wrote:
[/quote]

doriancaudal,

Perhaps the performer does not touch the [i]deck[/i] at all--but "merely" touches the box? I sincerely hope we are not playing such a linguistic game.

What I am taking away from both Ted's and Patrick's statements is that the performer does briefly (for one second?) touch the box, but, [i]to the audience[/i] (since the [i]deck[/i] inside the box is never seen to be touched), the performer is seen to have used a Hands Off methodology. Hence, if you consider the box as part of "the deck", Ted's statement is factually true and Patrick's statement is true as perceived by the audience.

Time will tell what the effect actually entails when "first purchaser" buyers step up to the plate, by the item and then post actual informed reviews.

Still waiting for an answer to my original post asking for the price (including S&H) of this item.
"Hands Off" is the title of the effect. Presentation wise its the theme of the effect. The ad copy doesn't claim the performer doesn't touch anything.

Included in this release is the stage version of the effect allows the subject to remove the deck from a bag they've been holding the entire time. They reach into the bag, they remove the box, they remove the cards from the box and again do all the counting. They know there's a deck in the bag because the subject can feel that it's there.

The box must be removed from the table or mantle or wherever it's been sitting by the performer. It's literally for a moment to hand it or toss it to someone. The box may be opened, cards may be removed and then counted all by an audience member.

I'm not sure on the cost of this DVD as of yet. I apologize for not being able to answer that question.
Thank you very Patrick and Turk for all these precise answers. Cannot wait for the release date! Do you have a precise idea of "when" in March, beginning, end... from Patrick Redford's website only ? ;)
Excellent! Hands off is not hands off. (This is a linguistic game :) )
What are the differences between Hands off and Route 01,
I believe it is same effect, maybe changes only the name.

MP
Entermagic, read again what Patrick wrote : "Just to repeat the performer does not have to open the box. The subject may open the box, remove the cards, AND do all the counting UNTOUCHED by the performer. Hence the name "Hands Off"
It is logical for me that it IS hands off, even if you just have to touch the box for some seconds.
Hands Off is an updated and improved version of an effect he released years ago before route 1 was released so I doubt they are the same similar maybe but Patrick put the work into this release so that it is improved enough to justify the release. Don't forget there is a bonus impromptu version that is different from the main effect but it is very unique in the world of ACAAN type effects.
Yes, Ted, we both think of "Auspicious Coincidence". Jan
[quote]
On 2011-01-31 17:07, JanForster wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]
On 2011-02-02 18:29, JanForster wrote:

Yes, Ted, we both think of "Auspicious Coincidence". Jan
[/quote]

You first made me to lookup "Mendacity" and then "Auspicious Coincidence"; and in turn I had to look up "Fantasie Impromptu". You really have the knack of keeping us on our toes Jan. :) ;)

Eagerly looking forward to Patrickís take on the Any Card @ Any Number plot.

Have a peek at David Britland's "Cardopolis" column in the December issue of Genii Magazine. He details Raynaly's Card At Any Number (originally published in 1908). It's a fantastic, unusual approach to this effect. It's very easy to accomplish, and a real stunner. Best of all, the presentation is wonderful.

Also, for a very fresh, astonishing, and oft-overlooked version, see Guy Hollingworth's "Drawing Room Deceptions (Mike Caveney's Magic Words, 1999). Guy's effect uses a signed card, and the procedure is, dare I say, almost too fair. It's about as perfect an effect as one could ask for and the applications go far beyond Any Card/Any Number.
Thanks a lot for the references, Illucifer.
I shall look those up...
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 11:14, Illucifer wrote:
Have a peek at David Britland's "Cardopolis" column in the December issue of Genii Magazine. He details Raynaly's Card At Any Number (originally published in 1908). It's a fantastic, unusual approach to this effect. It's very easy to accomplish, and a real stunner. Best of all, the presentation is wonderful.

Also, for a very fresh, astonishing, and oft-overlooked version, see Guy Hollingworth's "Drawing Room Deceptions (Mike Caveney's Magic Words, 1999). Guy's effect uses a signed card, and the procedure is, dare I say, almost too fair. It's about as perfect an effect as one could ask for and the applications go far beyond Any Card/Any Number.
[/quote]

The Hollingworth routine is, indeed, very clever. Though it isn't an Any Card @ Any Number routine. It is still simply a card @ any number (though it is a supposed signed card at any number) that doesn't allow for any card @ any number. It also has a bit of restriction as it uses a dual reality approach.

I can't speak on the effect published in Genii as I haven't had a chance to review it. Thanks for the heads up!
Will you be selling this at your Missouri lecture?
If all goes well, I will have these on my upcoming tour!
WOW, the demo looks very good.
Can you perform it without to show the blue deck?
In my opinion, if you don't show the first blue deck,
the effect becomes very impressive and removes any malicious thoughts.
Release date?

-Antonio
Patrick, to summarize, what will be the major differences with "Auspicious coincidence", apart the fact that the spectator can open the box and remove the cards?
[quote]
On 2011-02-04 03:28, InfinityDream wrote:
WOW, the demo looks very good.
Can you perform it without to show the blue deck?
In my opinion, if you don't show the first blue deck,
the effect becomes very impressive and removes any malicious thoughts.
Release date?

-Antonio
[/quote]No definitely not IMO.
[quote]
On 2011-02-04 11:29, doriancaudal wrote:
Patrick, to summarize, what will be the major differences with "Auspicious coincidence", apart the fact that the spectator can open the box and remove the cards?
[/quote]

There are three different approaches/handlings included in this DVD project.

You get both instructions for the close-up version of the gimmick and the stage gimmick which are different gimmicks.

Both gimmicks are vastly improved from previously published material.

In the stage version, an audience member holds onto a package (in this case a gift bag) with a deck of cards inside it (they can feel and confirm that it's there and theoretically could even be shown that the cards were in the bag before its handed out to hold but this (in my opinion would kill the effect theatrically).

In the close up version, not only is the deck openly on display, but the box may be viewed from all sides...in fact even handed out to the audience top be opened. This was not possible in the original version of the effect. The gimmick that does the secret something is essentially self vanishing. This was not the case in the original version.

In addition there are additional details not included in the original versions that apply other systems to this system. Everyone will have their preference on which system works best for them. This is one of that great things about this effect is that different people will prefer different handlings and they're all talked about and explained on the DVD. I'm being purposefully vague here as to not give away the farm. There's some clever thinking from Tom Baxter, for example, that really brings in a different approach to the cards themselves.

The impromptu version, which we should have a video preview of that up soon, has seen print before but this is the first time the necessary something has been explained and taught in video format. A lot of folks have felt the need for more visual instruction of the one simple invisible move.

There's been a lot of work bringing this project to where it is and has been in development for a very long time. Many of you are familiar with some of that work along the way. I'm thankful to be working with Anatomy Productions in finally bringing this project the digital video world of light.

-PGR
Patrick, you will be lecturing at Tannens next month, but I will be out of town on business that week :(
Are you doing any other lectures in the NYC area?
Thanks for your answer Patrick, cannot wait :)
Wish you every success with this project Patrick.

Best

John
I should also note that the differences between my original version published in 2005 (Auspicious Coincidence) and David Forest's that was published a few years later (Route 01) both involved a similar principle but his involved tape, glue, and what not. The original version of this effect did not involve having to glue or tape anything together. That is not the case with the updated gimmick, but the original method is briefly discussed in passing on the DVD and if you'd like to go that route (no pun intended) you may certainly choose to do so.

-PGR
Is the DVD going to be available to buy from patrickredford.com or one of your other websites ? Thanks! :)
Hi Dorian,

Yes it will be available through my usual product site and eventually all other dealers soon.
This update has fooled me! I'm looking forward to your new work o this subject.
Thanks! I'm glad you've enjoyed it!
[quote]
On 2011-02-09 11:02, Patrick Redford wrote:
Thanks! I'm glad you've enjoyed it!
[/quote]

Dear Patrick,

Firstly, let me just say that I think I'm becoming a fanboy of yours. And I definitely need to look up your lecture tour dates (in the North?). You're style and charisma never seem to fail to charm me; and the hat is awesome.

Secondly, is it possibly to use my own deck stack with this? You say yours doesn't require maths or memory work, but I am worried that it will be something that (when spread) is obviously stacked. I only ever like to carry one card deck around with me, though I will now carry this second gimmicked one too, but I like performing with this deck in my own style. I use it to do card calling and so on.

Do I have to change the structure of my deck, or can it remain as it is? If you do indeed have a clever way of removing all the mentally hard work, then I'd love to use your deck, but I am worried that if I do it will mean I cannot do things like Card Calling or so on.

xx
Eshla,

Thanks for the kind words. While a memorized stack is not required, nor is any full deck stack, it certainly may use one if you choose. I'm a big fan of the Aronson Stack and have used a modified version of it for years. That said, whatever stack you choose to use (where you're able to know the position of every card at every number) work well with this effect. Again, it is not necessary to use such a stack or any stack that has any pattern to it. On the dvd I describe how to perform this effect with what is essentially a legitimate shuffled pack of cards (with a few exceptions) where it would be very difficult to spot any pattern as any pattern that does exist only does so amongst five cards.

I don't see the use of another stack with this method being an issue.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-PGR
Message: Posted by: Tragic Geek Patriot (Feb 12, 2011 01:59AM)
I'm confused. Does Hands off use a stacked or doesn't it?
[quote]
On 2011-02-11 15:43, Patrick Redford wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Aronson Stack and have used a modified version of it for years...
-PGR
[/quote]
What we could see in the video... being myself a fan like you... :) Jan
He says, Again, it is not necessary to use such a stack or any stack that has any pattern to it.
Oh, Ted, I got that already in the first place... Jan
I know, I was talking about the post before yours.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Feb 12, 2011 11:38PM)
I wish there were no cut-away edits in the video as well. You know the ACAAN effect is a very simple one to watch and when I see edits in the performance it raises red flags to me. But as I've stated so many times in the past it will be interesting to see how this version is received by the magic community. I will say this to future inventors of ACAAN---if you make an unedited real life performance video of your ACAAN and its good---I will buy it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I don't think we can blame Patrick for editing it slightly. He does need to hide a bit of the method. The only point that worries me is how much "shuffeling" or changing I have to do in order to get said card to said number - slight of hand is most deffinetly not my specialty. However I am really looking forward to this release; the line of "no, you shouldn't be impressed..." is just brilliant to me and is similar to how Osterlind makes people think he is about to use a deck before saying "let's not use the cards".

I do have one more question though, and it's about the gimmick itself. I have a rough idea of what the gimmick is and what it does, but I was wondering. Can the gimmick be on the table and have giant question marks on it? For example I'd love to start an evenings close-up show by just leaving a deck in full view, with a question Mark on it, and saying "that's for later" very mysteriously. Then later it transpires that the deck is for my final routine, the ACAAN. That would be superb.

I suspect I shall need to cut out the colour changing aspect of the cards, as I will have used the deck previously in the evening; so my audience will know I am using a red deck. If it was a single, stand alone effect, then the colour change would be far easier to pull off - atleast if the methodology works as I think it works.
Patrick's stuff is usually very clever. I am looking forward to this one!
[quote]
On 2011-02-13 05:35, Eshla wrote:
I don't think we can blame Patrick for editing it slightly. He does need to hide a bit of the method. The only point that worries me is how much "shuffling" or changing I have to do in order to get said card to said number - slight of hand is most definitely not my specialty. However I am really looking forward to this release; the line of "no, you shouldn't be impressed..." is just brilliant to me and is similar to how Osterlind makes people think he is about to use a deck before saying "let's not use the cards".
[/quote]
No shuffling or cuts or passes need to be done to do the secret dirty work. I offer two methods to do the necessary something. One involves no sleight of hand, the other involves a simple invisible move (nothing as difficult as a pass) that involves no complicated math before execution.

[quote]

I do have one more question though, and it's about the gimmick itself. I have a rough idea of what the gimmick is and what it does, but I was wondering. Can the gimmick be on the table and have giant question marks on it? For example I'd love to start an evenings close-up show by just leaving a deck in full view, with a question Mark on it, and saying "that's for later" very mysteriously. Then later it transpires that the deck is for my final routine, the ACAAN. That would be superb.
[/quote]
Yes. The pack that's on the table may have a giant question mark on it.

[quote]
I suspect I shall need to cut out the colour changing aspect of the cards, as I will have used the deck previously in the evening; so my audience will know I am using a red deck. If it was a single, stand alone effect, then the colour change would be far easier to pull off - at least if the methodology works as I think it works.
[/quote]
The decks may still be two different colors even if you choose to have a question mark on one of them. While the footage is not included on the DVD, I perform a few card effects prior to "Hands Off" with a blue deck of cards in play. I'd be happy to work with you after you've purchased the product to iron out any details you need further help with.

-PGR

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 6:59am
------------------------------------
[quote]
On 2011-02-13 00:38, The great Gumbini wrote:
I wish there were no cut-away edits in the video as well. You know the ACAAN effect is a very simple one to watch and when I see edits in the performance it raises red flags to me. But as I've stated so many times in the past it will be interesting to see how this version is received by the magic community. I will say this to future inventors of ACAAN---if you make an unedited real life performance video of your ACAAN and its good---I will buy it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[/quote]
Eric,

I'm right there with you. Though it wasn't fully my decision to edit the video as it was, I understand the reasons the producers hold for presenting the effect as they have. It is my feeling that the video accurately represents the product and the 5 seconds you don't see don't impact or lesson the power of the effect on an audience of either magicians or real folks. What it would do is give fodder to the rewind button.

Also we'll soon have an uncut impromptu demo up very soon for public viewing.
This is now available for purchase as an INSTANT DOWNLOAD at Elmwood Magic. Here is the link http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=9127
Message: Posted by: Tragic Geek Patriot (Feb 13, 2011 08:21AM)
Will this also be available as a DVD?
Yes.
[quote]
On 2011-02-13 09:15, ted french wrote:
This is now available for purchase as an INSTANT DOWNLOAD at Elmwood Magic. Here is the link http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=9127
[/quote]

So the gimmick is not included with the DVD, if it is already available as an instant download? Am I right, is the gimmick easy to construct? :)
Just wondering how different this is from Route 1, I wouldn't want to re-purchase the
same effect/method. Thanks.
The gimmick is easy to make and most important it is something you will want to make.
Tom,

Route 1 doesn't allow for the box to be freely handled . Hands Off does.

Route 1 requires you to use a playing card (a joker) to record the named card and number on for the method to work.

Hands Off requires no writing on the back of any cards. A card is simply named and a number named.

Route 1 doesn't focus on allowing the deck to be on display in full view from start to finish of effect....right up until the very moment of the box being opened. Hands Off does.

Route 1 doesn't allow the subject to remove the cards from the box. Hands Off does.

And finally the box that the cards are removed from at the end may be viewed from all angles.

I hope this clears up some key differences.
Great, thanks Patrick.
Any reviews? :) This product sounds really really great...
I will wait for the DVD, sounds promising
Anybody get the download yet?

I might just have to purchase it tomorrow from work!

I have a faster computer and can download much faster.

If no reviews are up today, I will take the plunge tomorrow and let everyone know.

Alex
Message: Posted by: Tragic Geek Patriot (Feb 13, 2011 01:24PM)
It reviews yet!?
I have the book mendacity and thought the acaan A.C. was very clever but I did have some problems with the handling and following the descriptions of some of the moves. I always thought if it was in a d.v.d. with step by step instructions it would be so easy to fully understand and appreciate this. If this was only the A.C. acaan explained in d.v.d. I would buy this, but Hands Off sounds even better with the ability to hand the box out in full view. I must admit knowing how A.C. works this is baffling to me. I'm looking forward to this.
This item is available for download. You must be registered and logged in to our site to purchase it. To login or register, click here.

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=9127

PLEASE click here for our Download Information Page BEFORE making your download purchase.

Available Exclusively from Elmwood Magic!

Order now at this introductory price and save $5!

Using his original effect Auspicious Coincidence as a jumping off point (Mendacity, 2005), Redford has taken his Any Card at Any Number to a whole new level.

Someone names (really) any card, another (really) any number. The performer asks if it would be impressive if that card were found at that number in the deck of cards he's been holding with a death grip. The audience of course agrees, but the performer admits it wouldn't be very impressive as he's been holding onto the deck the entire time and could have done something sneaky. What would be more impressive is if that card was found at that named position in a deck of cards that the performer's gone no where near. Better yet, its been in full view since before the effect began.

The closed box is tossed to an audience member who opens the box, removes the cards, and counts them one at a time face-up to find the named card at the exact named position.

* No Memorized Stack
* No Crib Sheets
* No Complicated Math
* No Force
* 100% Accurate
* Deck Examinable
* Virtually Moveless
* Ends Clean
* Quick Reset
* Easy to Do

There are three variations included in this special release:

* Close-Up Hands Off - The main effect
* Hands Off Stage - A variation suitable for stage performances
* Fantasie Impromptu - An impromptu card at named number with an interesting plot hook.

Available as a Window Media File (WMV) Download ONLY.
Is the download the same as the d.v.d. that will be coming out? will the construction of the gaffs be explained step by step? Like I said in my previous post in the book some of the instructions were hard to understand. Finally will the sw---- move be shown in detail?
[quote]
On 2011-02-13 15:58, drphil wrote:
Is the download the same as the d.v.d. that will be coming out?[/quote]
Of course not !
You don't have the dvd with the download version...
Any other silly question?
I just downloaded this.I believe this solution to ACAAN is pretty *** good. The instructions are pretty straight forward and it took me about an hour to construct the gimmicks. I have bought many ACCAN over the years since I have never devoted the time to memorized deck and I think this version is the one I will use.
You gotta love it when new effects are released,they are picked to death here,dissected and so many questions asked that usually the method can be guessed!
I think your answer is silly. What he said is if the content in the download is that same as in the DVD. Not he want a DVD.

[quote]
On 2011-02-13 16:32, parmenion wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-02-13 15:58, drphil wrote:
Is the download the same as the d.v.d. that will be coming out?[/quote]
Of course not !
You don't have the dvd with the download version...
Any other silly question?
[/quote]
First review good one.
Parmenion my question was about content not the media differences. I have purchased downloads in the past that the content was different than the d.v.d. My post was not intended to fish out a method, as I stated I have mendacity and I have used A.C. in the past. If you felt my question was silly perhaps I did not make myself clear. Sorry I'l try to live up to you'r expectations in the future l.o.l.
[quote]
On 2011-02-13 05:35, Eshla wrote:
I don't think we can blame Patrick for editing it slightly. He does need to hide a bit of the method. The only point that worries me is how much "shuffeling" or changing I have to do in order to get said card to said number - slight of hand is most deffinetly not my specialty. However I am really looking forward to this release; the line of "no, you shouldn't be impressed..." is just brilliant to me and is similar to how Osterlind makes people think he is about to use a deck before saying "let's not use the cards".

I suspect I shall need to cut out the colour changing aspect of the cards, as I will have used the deck previously in the evening; so my audience will know I am using a red deck. If it was a single, stand alone effect, then the colour change would be far easier to pull off - atleast if the methodology works as I think it works.
[/quote]

shouldn't the answer to this be, BUY IT!

J
All,

I took the plunge and am downloading now....as soon as I finish downloading and watching everything through I will post a full review.

It will be sometime in the next couple of hours...so wait for it.....

Alex
I'm a complete sucker for ACAAN routines. I've learned quite a few over the years. Based on my own needs, my favorite to this point has been Matthew Johnson's ACAAN, but I have a few things from Patrick Redford, find his material super compelling, so didn't even question getting this. I've only been through the instant download once, but really like what I see. Clever idea, well thought out routine, clear explanations, simple to do. It's a winner in my book.
Ok as promised here it is.....REVIEW

Patrick Redfords ACAAN

I am a big fan of ACAANs, and I currently use versions from Tommasso, Matthew Johnson, Silent Running, etc, etc.....and nwo out comes this one.

For the introductory price of $24.95, I thought, heck why not, lets see what Patricks version has to offer that the other versions don't have or lack.

The download sits at about 337MB or so, and the video is a little over an hour long.

The video starts with the demo you all have seen, and then patrick reviews the history, notes, and construction of the gimmick.

This is going to be a lot of fun to do, when I get the time, I am doing it right away.
I have several shows this week, but time permitting, Im starting on this right away.

After the construction phase, you get to see a performance piece of patrick actually performing the effect at the bar....whole routine.

patrick then goes over the whole performance routine you just saw, and breaks down the steps.

you can use a memorized stack if you wish or you don't really have to memorize anything.

I especially liked an idea by Tom Baxter that Patrick pointed out using cards, its awesome!

Patrick, then reveals the second version for stage.........and it looks so impossible!
You basically have a bag out in the audience from the start, and after then name a card and a number,
you pull out the cards inside that they have been holding the whole time, and the card is at the number....very clever!!

The final version is Patricks impromptu version of the effect which is also killer, and very nice, and you do need to execute a move, but patrick shows you how to do it....so no sweat!

All in all, this is a great download for $24.95.....I recommend it.

Content: 10/10
Clarity: 10/10
Gimmick Construction: 9/10
Notes, Psychology, and more 10/10
Effects: 10/10

Total: 9.8/10

Love it, and will be using it, once I make up the necessary items.

Way to go Patrick!

BTW I have never owned anything from Patrick in the past....

Alex
If this is as good as I hope it will be then I will be an official fan boy.
No instant download available. You have to wait for approval. I wonder what the time difference is? Probably middle of the night, so long wait.
I just got this and I am not disappointed. One of the best ACAAN effects I have purchased. Look forward to performing it.
The single best ACAAN routine I have ever seen performed. Given the fact that it works 100% of the time and 100% of the time it is "hands off" it is in a sense actually BETTER than the Berglas Effect (atleast if you believe, like me, that in most cases Berglas must touch the deck).

The explanations are simple and clear. The mathematical teaching is superb, especially if you chose to use Si Stebbins stack. The video quality is exactly how all videos should be for magic education, one man and a table. My only complaint is that Patricks patter is so good and clever that I doubt I will be able to resist stealing it completely. I shall just have to try my best to resist that urge.

After watching this download, I like Patricks thinking and workings so much that I feel physically attracted the man.
Steady!
[quote]
On 2011-02-14 11:34, Markymark wrote:
Steady!
[/quote]
Said an actor to a bishop.
Go to agree with Eshla.

And add that at fifteen quid - this is a steal!

What a wonderful refreshing change it makes to see just how a magic instruction movie should be conveyed. You 'warm' to Patrick immediately. He leaves no stone unturned and oozes style instead of the pathetic inane chatter between two old buddies heading up Tangent Boulevard. (You all know who you are.) that we have become used to!

Excellent Patrick, truly excellent. I just need some patience now and get it all going!
BMWGuy, Roger, and Eshla. You took the words right out of my mouth. Redford is a genious.
Wow, where to begin....

I'm pleased you have all enjoyed the latest project! I'm truly grateful for the above responses. Thanks guys. I hope to meet some of you folks when I'm out on the lecture tour circuit next month!

-Patrick
It's a real pleasure to see this effect live. I don't know what Patrick is lecturing on but he also has the best 20 card poker deal I have ever seen before.

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 9:18pm
I'm sorry 10 card poker deal.
I'm excited to hear the many good reviews on this (from Ted, BMWGuy, et al.). And I'm glad to finally learn the price. Three unanswered questions are:

Is the method practical in the real world?
Are angles an issue?
Is the methodology easy or is it a knuckle-buster?

(I'm assuming that the answers are, in order, "Yes", "No" and "Yes" respectively.)

BTW, is the download able to be downloaded and burned onto a CD or DVD and then playable on any computer? Is it playable on a set-box DVD player? I only ask in that I'd like to transfer the downloaded video to either my Android cell phone or my Zune player?

Thanks for the info.

Best,

Mike
When can I buy the DVD?
I just bought this and I like it. I think this is the best teaching format a magic video could have.
Excellent Patrick Redford!

Turk asked;
"Is the method practical in the real world?"
Absolutely

"Are angles an issue?"
Not really, Patrick discusses audience management and cover

"Is the methodology easy or is it a knuckle-buster?"
Very easy but presentation skills are required

"is the download able to be downloaded and burned onto a CD or DVD and then playable on any computer? Is it playable on a set-box DVD player? I only ask in that I'd like to transfer the downloaded video to either my Android cell phone or my Zune player?"

There is no DRM so it can play on any computer. It is a WMV file o I don't know about Zune or android. You will have to convert it more than likely.

Hope that helps,
James

[quote]
On 2011-02-14 23:12, Turk wrote:
I'm excited to hear the many good reviews on this (from Ted, BMWGuy, et al.). And I'm glad to finally learn the price. Three unanswered questions are:

Is the method practical in the real world?
Are angles an issue?
Is the methodology easy or is it a knuckle-buster?

(I'm assuming that the answers are, in order, "Yes", "No" and "Yes" respectively.)

BTW, is the download able to be downloaded and burned onto a CD or DVD and then playable on any computer? Is it playable on a set-box DVD player? I only ask in that I'd like to transfer the downloaded video to either my Android cell phone or my Zune player?

Thanks for the info.

Best,

Mike
[/quote]
Congrats for this release Patrick! I felt in love with your method :) And for only 18Ä, it is almost too cheap compared to the wonderful thinking you have put into this effect :)
Just a question to those who have bought it, will you use the preconised stack, you own stack, or no stack? I'm still hesitating...
Not fishing for methods but is the stack very important and is it hard to remember?
I can forget things like that easily lol.
I won't be using a stack. GH256 - worry not - you really don't need one, but if you have one that you are comfortable with, it will save you (a little) work. Patrick demonstrates a perfectly good alternative that I have to say is better than working with a mem deck or stack. But then again, I don't work with either.

It really is fantastic. I'd love to get this down with total confidence. The only stumbling block I see with the whole package actually has nothing to do with the effect or it's performance. It's making the darned thing!

Patrick - Why didn't you have them professionally made and sell the effect for $150? Okay - Just kiddin' ;)

Incidentally Patrick, when I saw your design, it made me smile, as I have been performing [b]Brainwave[/b] by just that very method for quite some time now. (Those who have Patrick's Hands Off, will immediatley recognise what I'm talking about. Go on - you know you want to - give it a try! :) )
Thanks very much Roger, I think I shall be hitting that purchase button soon.

Glenn
You should hit that button. The methods are all great.

You can use pretty much any stack you like, including Sti Stebbins and BCS. The maths is VERY simple - if you can divide by 4 in your head then you can do this. I am terrible at ACAAN maths, and the methods taught here are very simple.
[quote]
On 2011-02-15 11:05, Eshla wrote:

You can use pretty much any stack you like, including Sti Stebbins and BCS. The maths is VERY simple - if you can divide by 4 in your head then you can do this. I am terrible at ACAAN maths, and the methods taught here are very simple.
[/quote]

I think I will use the no-stack version, very very deceptive! But I am tempted to test the SS stack, just because the method (Tom Baxter's idea) is excellent, but I am a bit worried about the fact that, during the dealing, the spectators sees that the deck is stacked (at least, 1 red, 1 black, 1 red, 1 black, 1 red...). Any piece of advice for me concerning that point? :)
I really don't mean to pry into the method here.
But there's one question I must ask regarding the gimmick: do you need to alter the deck itself in order to construct it?
In other words, once this trick is done, can you keep performing (other effects) with the same, full deck of cards, and even let spectators handle it?

If I'm asking beyond my keep, feel free to put me back in my place. :)
[quote]
On 2011-02-15 11:18, doriancaudal wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-02-15 11:05, Eshla wrote:

[/quote]

I think I will use the no-stack version, very very deceptive! But I am tempted to test the SS stack, just because the method (Tom Baxter's idea) is excellent, but I am a bit worried about the fact that, during the dealing, the spectators sees that the deck is stacked (at least, 1 red, 1 black, 1 red, 1 black, 1 red...). Any piece of advice for me concerning that point? :)
[/quote]

I have not purchased this and don't think I will, I have a version that is good enough for me... but with the red/black issue, I don't think people will pay attention to that. I believe that your spectators are so intrigued by the premise and presentation that they will just be looking to see if the card named/chosen appears before the number selected. If you are not big in scripting then I recommend "Scripting Magic" since it will give you many ideas to start brainstorming. By scripting, you will in sort, "condition" your spectators to look at what you want them to. As I am sure you have realized, in Mr. Redford's performances,he is into scripting and presentation(At least, that what has led me to believe after buying various of his other products).

The red/black sequence will not cross their mind. But, check it out and try it out anyways, if this advice fails then use what ever else is suggested in the download.'

As long as you don't specifically say "LOOK AT THE RED/BLACK ORDER PLEASE BE AWARE." Then not many people will see it. I promise :).

Hope that helps.

Ricky
Thanks a lot for this answer Ricky
[quote]
On 2011-02-15 11:18, doriancaudal wrote:
Any piece of advice for me concerning that point? :)
[/quote]
Here's mine, for what its worth doriancaudal. Don't use the SS. Don't use anything! No need to risk attention being brought to what is a NORMAL deck. I'm scratching my head to understand why [b]any[/b] stack would improve this. (Maybe I'm missing something?) As I said before, Patrick provides a very simple and effective explanation for the alternative - okay, it involves a very tiny bit of math - but it's so simple, it's hardly worth a mention.

[quote]
On 2011-02-15 11:49, Gorecki wrote:
In other words, once this trick is done, can you keep performing (other effects) with the same, full deck of cards, and even let spectators handle it?

If I'm asking beyond my keep, feel free to put me back in my place. :)
[/quote]
A fair question Gorecki (nice name by the way - after the Composer?) YES - the deck is ready to go! So therefore, this is a priceless opener.

However, I'm thinking along the lines that the effect is so pure, I doubt if there's anything worthy to, literally, follow it. (Not in my meagre repertoir anyway) Maybe in a good mentalism set featuring no other card effects, OR, simply do this one, soak it up, and glide away... :)
[quote]
On 2011-02-15 13:02, Roger Kelly wrote:

A fair question Gorecki (nice name by the way - after the Composer?) YES - the deck is ready to go! So therefore, this is a priceless opener.
[/quote]
Yes, after the composer. :)

[quote]
However, I'm thinking along the lines that the effect is so pure, I doubt if there's anything worthy to, literally, follow it. (Not in my meagre repertoir anyway) Maybe in a good mentsalism set featuring no other card effects, OR, simply do this one, soak it up, and glide away.... :)
[/quote]
Oh, I agree with you, Roger, it's probably a closer. But I often try to sequence each of my short acts so that I leave the door open for those "please just one more" pleas from the occasional spectactor.
And, from your description, it sounds like this one would be perfect for that. Use it as a closer... or perform one or two additional effects with the deck if need be.

(At a wedding, a couple of years ago, I used a very simple setup of two decks: I took a card from a red deck and put it in the blue deck, and took the same card from the blue deck and put it in the red deck. When I started my act, I asked the bride what her favorite color was. "Red? Fine, you hold on to the red deck, and I'll get to work with the blue one."

I then went through about a dozen card effects with the blue deck -- except I had the red card in there, which I concealed the whole time. After about 30 minutes, I concluded my act the way I usually did (can't remember the specific trick for that occasion), and I announced that I was done.
But the groom himself stepped forward and asked for "just one more." I said I would be happy to oblige, and proceeded to perform Bizarre Twist, producing the red card to everyone's bafflement. Someone asked where the blue 7 of clubs (or whatever it was) had gone... And THEN I asked the bride to take out the red deck she had been holding for the past half hour, and spread it on the table. Big finish.

So you see? I already had a strong act with what I'd done. And I would have been quite happy to leave it at that and walk away. But with the additional effect -- which looked like it couldn't have been planned in advance -- I had a total miracle.

And that's the kind of "open door policy" I was hoping for with Patrick's Hands Off. I didn't want to end with a dirty deck, just in case.)

Now, because of Roger, I'll soon be $25 poorer. :)
[quote]
On 2011-02-15 14:21, Gorecki wrote:
[/quote]
poorer, possibly, happier, propably. ;)
[quote]
On 2011-02-15 14:55, Roger Kelly wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-02-15 14:21, Gorecki wrote:
[/quote]
poorer, possibly, happier, propably. ;)
[/quote]
Downloaded and watched.

Roger, you were right. :D
This is very clever. Now I just need to construct the *** thing...
[quote]
On 2011-02-15 12:58, Roger Kelly wrote:
I'm scratching my head to understand why [b]any[/b] stack would improve this. ...
[/quote]
Roger, believe me it does... :) Jan
Fair enough Jan, I'm sure there must be a reason but I've been running this [b]through my mind[/b] using a Si Stebbins and I just cant 'get it.' I mean, I don't see any benefit. Surely the [i]alternative[/i] method that Patrick teaches in a mixed deck is less of a [i]prep[/i] and therefore, the way to go?

But, of course, I see the benefit of a mem-deck, if that is firmly planted in one's brain. But any none mem stack, like a cyclical... Hmmmm, maybe its just me. (But I couldn't (or wouldn't!) walk until I was two, and I've only just removed the stabilisers from my bike!)
Except that you will have to reset the deck if it is not in some order.
The Si Stebbins method goes right back in the box with no moving of any cards.

I had never seen Tom Baxter's calculations before and I love it.
This is a great ACAAN.
James

[quote]
On 2011-02-16 06:03, Roger Kelly wrote:
Fair enough Jan, I'm sure there must be a reason but I've been running this [b]through my mind[/b] using a Si Stebbins and I just cant 'get it.' I mean, I don't see any benefit. Surely the [i]alternative[/i] method that Patrick teaches in a mixed deck is less of a [i]prep[/i] and therefore, the way to go?

But, of course, I see the benefit of a mem-deck, if that is firmly planted in one's brain. But any none mem stack, like a cyclical... Hmmmm, maybe its just me. (But I couldn't (or wouldn't!) walk until I was two, and I've only just removed the stabilisers from my bike!)
[/quote]
While we're on the topic of stacks, anybody using Mnemonica?
I own the book but I have yet to take the plunge.
So, if you use a Si Stebbings or an Aronson stack and the spec picks, for instance, 34, would you know which card was in that location? If so then this would be easier for me in the long run.
You absolutely would. This is what a mem stack of the si-stebbins system explained on the DVD would offer. Though I wish to be clear to anyone considering this... the effect does not need to use a full deck stack or any stack where a pattern is evident. If you can count to five you can easily have the Hands Off system work on your behalf from what is 95% a truly shuffled pack without any memorization or crazy calculations. Stacks certainly will work with Hands Off but really aren't necessary.
[quote]
On 2011-02-17 03:56, Patrick Redford wrote:
...If you can count to five you can easily have the Hands Off system work on your behalf from what is 95% a truly shuffled pack without any memorization or crazy calculations. Stacks certainly will work with Hands Off but really aren't necessary.
[/quote]

Thanks Patrick - this is exactly what I've been trying to say. Notwithstanding Jan's kind words via PM and other's opinions, I just can't see the reason or need for anything other than this method.
Thank's Patrick. My mind goes blank when I'm perfoming so I need as much help as possible. Lol.
I wouldn't learn a stack just for this effect (as it can easily be done without one as Patrick and others have said), but if you already know one, it'll speed up the proceedings.

Plus, on the off chance that spectator 1 would happen to name exactly the card that lies at the number chosen by spectator 2... well, you could simply hand them the deck right there and then. :)
[quote]
On 2011-02-17 09:35, Gorecki wrote:
you could simply hand them the deck right there and then. :)
[/quote]

... true, but not as directly :)
[quote]
On 2011-02-17 10:04, doriancaudal wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-02-17 09:35, Gorecki wrote:
you could simply hand them the deck right there and then. :)
[/quote]

... true, but not as directly :)
[/quote]
Easy enough to clean up, I'd say. ;)
Any more reviews on this?
[quote]
On 2011-02-17 17:31, gh256 wrote:
Any more reviews on this?
[/quote]

watched it quickly once,
it's good, clever

you are going to have to carry the 2 boxes and the gimmicks to perform this,

making the gimmick first time can take 15-30 minutes of arts and craft

there are a few discrepancies in the performance that should go unnoticed in real life but have to be edited out in the demo
you do end clean! and can continue on with your favorite card trick

no stack is required, but a stack can be used
you can either count to 5, or do some addition multiplication depending on method

Tom Baxter's Si Stebbins Secret is very very cool, I will be using this method.

The impromptu version is also surprisingly descent
Ta very much Suux88 :)
[quote]

watched it quickly once,
it's good, clever

you are going to have to carry the 2 boxes and the gimmicks to perform this,

making the gimmick first time can take 15-30 minutes of arts and craft

there are a few discrepancies in the performance that should go unnoticed in real life but have to be edited out in the demo
you do end clean! and can continue on with your favorite card trick

no stack is required, but a stack can be used
you can either count to 5, or do some addition multiplication depending on method

Tom Baxter's Si Stebbins Secret is very very cool, I will be using this method.

The impromptu version is also surprisingly descent
[/quote]

I would say there is really only one very minor discrepancy and on the DVD I explain exactly how to make this invisible even to the most discerning audience. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

-PGR
I have this and like it.

The only problem I have is that the first deck is brought out for no apparent reason, other than to say I won't be using this deck.

It also can't be used for an effect before you go into this.
There are some really fine tricks with the Si Stebbins setup and if you use a stack that you know there will be many tricks you can use.
James

[quote]
On 2011-02-18 05:07, David Klass wrote:
I have this and like it.

The only problem I have is that the first deck is brought out for no apparent reason, other than to say I won't be using this deck.

It also can't be used for an effect before you go into this.
[/quote]
Yep, I know James.
But do you know a routine where the cards remain face up throughout ;)
Don't be put off by words of discrepancies. There is one only and it is so minor and should be familiar to anyone performing this as it is sooooo similar to a card move and goes unnoticed.

This is very clever - and for the price, I'd just get it without quibbling. You won't be disapointed. The hardest bit is making it!
I actually think the second deck makes this stronger. It's that idea of bringing something into play that's been clearly visible from the very beginning...kind of like Tommy Wonder's card box, though in this case you wouldn't necessarily have to even mention the other deck. Just act as though you're fishing in your pockets, bring out the first deck, set it aside and bring out the second one along the guise of "I like the blue ones better" or any other number of lines. Seeing as how you're a magician I don't think too many people will find it odd that you carry two decks with you. No odder than pulling out a set of bright red sponge balls anyway ;)
I have not been through the entire video yet but early on I sort of feel like Klass. I have no problems having two decks around. Not being able to use the first in an organic and flexible manner limits the manner in wich this can be fit into a show. If I am missing something sorry.
When we shot this video I performed a set before the finale with the blue deck of cards. It's a simple matter of routining to make such possible. I'd be happy to help anyone in PM's who would like to learn how to do so if having trouble.

-PGR
I have this and I have used this. If Redford doesn't mind me chiming in performing any pocket deck s****h will make everything very smooth. This way Hands Off can be the closer to any card set. As Patrick said, it's all about routining. I'm surprised as the download is very detailed that this point wasn't covered. Any particular reason why?

Tim
Sigh...this "instant download" ain't so instant. How long does it take to become available once you've paid?
I think I got access within 24 hours
Good stuff! This is a great item.

It looks like something I'll certainly use. While I see both perspectives as far as using a stack, I think this is something that I will learn a stack to use with. I've never used one before and this looks like a great reason to learn, though as many people have said it is truly in NO way necessary to do so. Very clever thinking, and (from what I've seen anyway) the video is well shot. No thrills or additional bits that just get in the way. Simple, clear explanations, and Patrick goes into all the details you need to know to make this work for you.
I found the download of this at Elmwood magic but I'd rather have the DVD. Where can I buy it?
The DVD is not yet available but will be coming out in March.
Probably first week of March
Message: Posted by: Tragic Geek Patriot (Feb 23, 2011 09:54AM)
Will Elmwood have the DVD in stock or just the download?

Posted: Feb 24, 2011 3:13am
--------------------------------
And if not, where will I be able to purchase it?
Every store will have it.
I just received my order confirmation and can't wait to explore another approach to ACAAN!
What a compelling and beautiful theme guys.
The upcoming berglass book, McLeods fantastic yet simple approach, Matthew johnson's ACAAN (i will hopefully see it at his lecture in april).. and so so much more.. now this one here. probably the year of ACAAN.. (not forgettin all the beautiful CAAN versions out there)

thanks in advance Patrick!
I just finished watching the video. It just took a few minutes to process my order, then download. I have to say.... good lord man... your a deceptive genius!
Really Great Work! A+++ Gonna get started building my gimmick tonight, this one is a must have in my routine
Thanks for the swift and speedy reply, very much appreciated Patrick. Gimmick isn't hard to build and I always get a warm feeling I just built something that will fry peoples minds. I give this one a solid :) :) :) :) out of 5 smiley faces.
[quote]
On 2011-02-28 09:47, sketchomagic wrote:
I just finished watching the video. It just took a few minutes to process my order, then download. I have to say.... good lord man... your a deceptive genius!
Really Great Work! A+++ Gonna get started building my gimmick tonight, this one is a must have in my routine
Thanks for the swift and speedy reply, very much appreciated Patrick. Gimmick isn't hard to build and I always get a warm feeling I just built something that will fry peoples minds. I give this one a solid :) :) :) :) out of 5 smiley faces.
[/quote]
Where did you order it from?

Thanks
Phil
[quote]
On 2011-02-27 09:19, ArtIn wrote:
I just received my order confirmation and can't wait to explore another approach to ACAAN!
What a compelling and beautiful theme guys.
The upcoming berglass book, McLeods fantastic yet simple approach, Matthew johnson's ACAAN (i will hopefully see it at his lecture in april).. and so so much more.. now this one here. probably the year of ACAAN.. (not forgettin all the beautiful CAAN versions out there)

thanks in advance Patrick!
[/quote]
What's the McLeod version you're referring to?
[quote]
What's the McLeod version you're referring to?
[/quote]
I think he is referring to the version published in his DVD "Opening Minds", which is very deceptive :)
Colin's routine is lovely. If you're a fan of this plot I certainly recommend it!
Count me among those who think it's much better with a stack. at a minimum I'd want to know the deck's midpoint, because the most important move also happens to be -- outwardly -- strictly superfluous, and certainly not something that would be done with precision or over a perceptible duration, if it were done at all. the outer boundary of naturalness is showing the card that was named and, then, maybe, approximating what the selected number implies. it seems that the slightest deliberation or apparent insistence on an exact placement destroys things. with a si steppins, for instance, that's the effortless in and out it needs to be. I suppose it's conceivable that someone might be able to do that as quickly without a stack; but that's dubious. so if you think that bringing that in-an-out duration of the card to an irreducible minimum is essential to the success of the effect, then by implication a stack is essential, as well.
I couldn't agree more! I'll pm you. :) Jan
What I liked the most about the video was not the trick, but the tough crowd of semi drunks that actually watched and were amazed, I perform for meth heads, wackos, cowboys, bikers and carnies - few of the finger flickin fancies will hold my audience, even in the demo some viewer were having trouble counting to 10, I know this audience, a very bold choice for a preview - best of luck, I think I will throw a few buck towards my favorite brick and mortar store (I'm old fashioned) and check it out - enjoy the thread, but my goodness haven't any of you wasted money on an effect before? It helps to support the art and ebay - but this one sounds like a goodie!
[quote]
On 2011-03-04 12:58, ernie guderjahn wrote:
What I liked the most about the video was not the trick, but the tough crowd of semi drunks that actually watched and were amazed, I perform for meth heads, wackos, cowboys, bikers and carnies - few of the finger flickin fancies will hold my audience, even in the demo some viewer were having trouble counting to 10, I know this audience, a very bold choice for a preview - best of luck, I think I will throw a few buck towards my favorite brick and mortar store (I'm old fashioned) and check it out - enjoy the thread, but my goodness haven't any of you wasted money on an effect before? It helps to support the art and ebay - but this one sounds like a goodie!
[/quote]
I've had to work with similarly tough crowds before, Ernie, and yes, it's refreshing to see that we're not alone! :)
[quote]
On 2011-01-31 21:18, Patrick Redford wrote:
Hey folks.
In the demo video I open the box simply because.....who cares who opens the dang box!?
[/quote]
I care! I want Kylie to open mine!

But for ACCAN erm not botthered.
If you were performing for Kylie, she could open the box for you, no problem!
Wo hoooooo .... I'm off upstairs to tell the wife that you said I can go and play with Klylie! :)
Just watched the download. Very clever, not sure whether I'll use a stack or not. Will see how it flows without, once I've made the gimmick up. I really like the Stebbins 'subtlety' too, though. Whichever I settle on however, I will be using this! Thanks Patrick, bloody brilliant!
Is the download the same content as the DVD? Obviously I guess the DVD has a menu and chapters. If that is the only difference between the two I think I will go for the download.
I watched this this week...the method is so simple yet so devious!

This has to be one of the best acaan's available.

Great job Patrick and Anatomy Magic!

Paul
Thanks so much PMC. I really appreciate the outpouring of comments and such. Thanks guys you have made my month!
This magic stuff is driving me crazy because I can't stop spending. I'll be getting this as soon as I'm done typing. It only took me three days to get the Mnemonica stack down so it looks like this is going to be fun.
Message: Posted by: Johannes Lindrupsen (Mar 8, 2011 05:10AM)
I just bought the download version now, so now I just have to wait for the download to be activated! I am looking forward to view the video :)
Ordered my DVD from Denny & Lee Magic Studio yesterday and it is shipping today. I would imagine all of the magic shops are in stock this week. I can't wait to get started learning!
Mines for sale
Pm me!
I got the download and I love the brilliant thinking. And with so much information for all the different venues, this is indeed a winner!
[quote]
On 2011-03-08 06:10, Johannes Lindrupsen wrote:
I just bought the download version now, so now I just have to wait for the download to be activated! I am looking forward to view the video :)
[/quote]
I got it at Elmwoodmagic and the download was instant! Why the wait?

Anyway, I viewed this product this morning and can't wait to start constructing the gimmick and start rehearsing. Very creative thinking in this one. I really like the stage version too.
Message: Posted by: Johannes Lindrupsen (Mar 8, 2011 01:48PM)
[quote]
On 2011-03-08 11:30, sevenup wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-03-08 06:10, Johannes Lindrupsen wrote:
[/quote]
I got it at Elmwoodmagic and the download was instant! Why the wait?

Anyway, I viewed this product this morning and can't wait to start constructing the gimmick and start rehearsing. Very creative thinking in this one. I really like the stage version too.
[/quote]
I also bought mine from Elmwood, and they had to activate the download for me. Didn't take more than half an hour or something though!
Got mine from Denny's shop while visiting LV...brilliant thinking and combination of methods...congrats Patrick on this effort!
Message: Posted by: Your Thinking Cap (Mar 10, 2011 02:32PM)
I am going to see Mr. Redford lecture tonight at Tannens. I can't wait to pick a copy of this up and see what else he has in store!
Thanks for coming out to the lecture!

And thanks everyone for making Hands Off an Instant Sell Out world wide!
Well done Patrick.
Cheers!

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 1:18pm
--------------------------------
Just to let everyone know - Hands Off is available again.
This is sneaky magic at it's best, so bold and in your face. I love this kind of thinking, reminds me of Dean Dill.

By the way, the review from the boys was way off, there seemed to be a bias based on Craig's preference to Matt's C.A.A.N. the scores were off target. And their review missed the beauty of this, Hands off. My score is 95 for original thinking and 92 for handling. This is one gutsy A.C.A.A.N..
This is a fantastic solution to the acaan plot. It is not the holy grail magicians are looking for, not sure if that exists.
It will however leave the impression that you never touched the deck. The impromptu version is great, the Dan Fishman dribble p..s is a fantastic move that I will be using.
Highly recommend this to any acaan enthusiasts!
Mines on ebay if you want a bargin
Will I have to most likely go out and have to find the materials to make the gimmicks or will I likely have the gimmick already in my household, pm me if necessary
You'll have most of what you need around the house. The something you may have to go out and get is not necessary for the gimmicks to do their job, they just make it easier.

Hope this helps
This is A must have for mem. deck workers. You can show A blue deck and A red one that you then place away from you. Then take one card from the blue deck place it face down and ask spectator for A number from 1-52. Note card is placed down before number is called out. Now you explain the difference between a magician and a mentalist. You demonstrate how A magician might have you select A card return it back into the deck, with this 1 move all the dirty work is done. place the cards back in the box, And as you turn to grab the red box you state however A mentalist would use A deck that has never been touched. When the cards are counted down to their number it will match you'r prediction, This fries them You put the card down before the number was stated and you never came near the red deck, other than to hand it to them. This is is now my go-to c.a.a.n.
I have found this great video performance for Hands Off that gives the right kudos
to this effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2CGEuTthK4

In my opinion, it looks perfect.

MP
Can someone please help with the Si Stebbins calculation? What happens if you have a position not evenly divisible by 4 and end up with either a zero or negative value after doing the subtraction step? It seems to fall apart when running into those scenarios or my math is not right.

Say for example you have the 10 of diamonds and 10th position. That ends up with a calculation of 12 minus 13 = -1. So what happens next? I tried going "remainder" cards left and right and neither ends up with the correct result.
This post may need to be deleted for exposure. Contact patric redford on here he is a member.
Sorry, I didn't mean any harm by my post. I'll contact him instead as suggested.

I can't seem to edit the above post though if a mod could sensor out whatever is required. Thanks.
I'm interested in this but have two questions first.

One: I already have down a memorized deck. What is the benefit of doing this effect with a stack?

Two: What is the re-set like on this?

Thanks!
The benefit is that it makes it even easier. The real cool aspect of this product is the gimmick. The gimmick is very clever in the design and how it works.
[quote]
On 2011-08-26 14:06, ted french wrote:
The benefit is that it makes it even easier. The real cool aspect of this product is the gimmick. The gimmick is very clever in the design and how it works.
[/quote]
Yeah, I figured it made it easier, but how so? Are there less moves? Can the card be positioned with just a cut instead of running the through the deck and moving it?

And again, what is the reset like?

I really don't really care if it has a cool gimmick or is gimmickless. The audience isn't aware of that either way. I just want to know if it's something that suits my needs.
Iím a few monthís behind here, but this method is diabolical. Iíve researched a whole ton of different methods out on the market and none of them come close to this. Patrick / George: you are simply genius. Your methods and thinking are always out of the box, fresh and practical. (I have a lot of fun with your chair prediction test, Quartet!)
Exitmat: sorry no-oneís given you any straight answers. Assuming your question about re-setting is from a walk around / table hopperís perspective and requirements, this is actually pretty easy to reset. Thatís all I can say without giving too much away on this open forum. As for your question about using a memorized stack, this is even harder to answer without exposure. This effect is based on a named card appearing in a named position, so of course a stack will make life easier. I have never bothered learning a stack as my memory and maths (especially in the heat of performing) suck. And I donít intend to for this effect, either. As Patrick describes in the DVD, you can position a few cards in the pack to help you keep track. (In the same way as a 300mm ruler doesnít have 300 numbers on it. It displays 10mm, 20mm, 30mm etc and you count from or to the nearest 10mm display.)
The main point you are dismissing here, Exitmat, is that the gimmicks are the crux of this method and what make it stand out from all the other ACAAN methods out there. Secret gimmicks are used for our benefit, not the spectatorsí.
I am not sure this has been addressed but this is EXACTLY like David Forrest's Route 01. The gimicks are essentially the same, although Patrick's uses a few extra touches, but even in Route 01 the same technique is described using two of the secret something needed in Route 01.
I believe this was out first in a book by Patrick titled Mendacity. I had this book before route 1 was out. I use the aronson m.d. with this and I find it makes for a very easy acaan.
Patrick keeps coming out with great ideas. What an idea man. His latest is The Infinite End.

Comp
Hi Guys I am relatively new here at the Cafť but wondered whether anyone can
suggest where I might purchase the card effect "Intuition" by Hondo. Reads
similar to A C A N but with a prediction in envelope reveal after the card
and number are given and the routine has been concluded.

Many thanks David J. (down under)
Currently searching for the "Holy Grail" of ACAAN effects, after being blown away by Charlie Fryes performance of ACAAN with Jumbo Cards at Blackpool.

This sounds like the real deal.
[quote]On Mar 20, 2015, MikeMgc wrote:
Currently searching for the "Holy Grail" of ACAAN effects, after being blown away by Charlie Fryes performance of ACAAN with Jumbo Cards at Blackpool.

This sounds like the real deal. [/quote]
I give Asi Wind's AACAAN my highest recommendation.
[quote]On Mar 20, 2015, Exitmat wrote:
[quote]On Mar 20, 2015, MikeMgc wrote:

This sounds like the real deal. [/quote]
I give Asi Wind's AACAAN my highest recommendation. [/quote]

Same here, a little time consuming, but at the same time, you'll learn something you'll use for another effects ;)

Best ACAAN for me.