(Close Window)
Topic: The Last Greatest Magician in the World
You've read the article and excerpt in Genii Magazine, now you can hear Jim Steinmeyer discuss his new book on Howard Thurston in Episode 204 for the Magic Newswire podcast: http://bit.ly/hL1pET
The "publication date" for this book is finally tomorrow, 2-3-2011: I am hoping my local Barnes and Noble will have it ready for me to pick it up- wish I had it today here in snowy Michigan where practically everything is closed here today including most retail stores before noon at least. Fired Up!- looks like a great read. I was impressed (and convicted) by Thurston's willingness to do as many programs as he could for needy children.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 3, 2011 05:16AM)
The Last Greatest Magician in the World?

I would think that André Kole might better fit that bill. Unless you are just talking about people who are living impared.

Ray
Mine arrived from Amazon today (preorder). I am excited to begin the read as I can count on a well researched and entertaining read from Jim. This will be a must have history to add to your library. cheaha bill
By what yardstick do you measure greatness? Audiences played to? Consecutive performances? Money made? Length of the run? Check the stats.....
I think Seigfried and Roy rate at the top of list of those limited catagories. Have I missed some?
FWIW....
Ted L
Wow- I read almost the entire book already over the last few days- Steinmeyer did a wonderful job- no sugar coating and well documented. Magic comes out looking good- almost like baseball in terms of standing up through all the societal changes that have taken place. I found reading about the very tough early years of Thurston's life to be incredible... I had no idea...
Here's a chat with Jim on Irish News Radio talking about the new Thurston book: http://bit.ly/gQCOBs

Details magazine: http://www.details.com/celebrities-enter...or-book-musical
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 06:16, Magical Dimensions wrote:
The Last Greatest Magician in the World?

I would think that André Kole might better fit that bill. Unless you are just talking about people who are living impared.

Ray
[/quote]

I thought it to be sort of an allusion to how so many magicians think they are the greatest in the world. But, I don't have the book yet. The line at MagiFest was too long and I had a class to go to. Anyone know if someone is selling signed copies?

Thanks.

Jim
Another home run, Dodd! Your interview with Jim was so interesting. Thanks, once again.

Ron
Does anyone have an ACTUAL review of this book on the Café?
I've found it a good idea to keep up with the schedule of Coast to Coast AM on the radio, as, I have caught Jim Steinmeyer in interviews there at least twice, as well as, other shows/guests discussing magicians.

Michael