(Close Window)
Topic: Broken Wand :: CONOVER
I am very sad to report on the loss of yet another amazing performer, Tim Conover. According to those that have contacted me, Tim died at his own hand. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends: http://bit.ly/dHijZ2
That is sad news indeed!

Robert
This weighs on my heart very heavily....I live in Williamsburg, just a short trip from Tim in VA Beach. I spoke to him several weeks ago via Facebook and he seemed to be doing well. This is devastating. Words cannot express the loss this is to the magic community. I feel horrible and very saddened by this. Tim, you were always the kindest, warmest and most generous person I have met- my Cylinder and Coins wouldn't be the same without you. Rest in peace Tim- a true friend and a legend.

Jonathan Brown
I am at a loss for words. I just saw this on FB. What a tragic loss. So sad. When he did Goshman's act it was amazing.
RIP Tim.
I'm absolutely stunned. Tim helped me in so many ways. Hehelped me put an act together that enabled me to earn a living for almost 20 years. He was such a kind, sensitive person. I'm not really sure what to say or do right now. If anyone knows about any services for him please let me know.
So very sad.. He was an inspiration to me; generous and dynamic.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Feb 2, 2011 11:08PM)
How horrible. I will never forget the wonderful time we had together sharing magic back in the 80's when I went down to Maryland. He came to our Coin seminar a few years ago just to hang out, and show the guys some incredible coin stuff. He gave a memorable performance, doing Goshman's salt and pepper shakers, the cylinder and coins, and a few other things. It was an honor and privilege to watch. I knew he was having problems, but never dreamed it would come to this. He must have been in deep pain. The magic world will miss not only a wonderful performer, but a great guy as well.
I met Tim at the 2nd Magic Live and was really blown away by his skill and warm personality. Such a shame to lose yet another giant in our industry.
This is devastating, saddening news. I truly can't believe it.
I met Tim when he lectured at my restaurant about 2 or 3 years ago. What a stand up guy. I'm shocked by this news! RIP Tim...!
:{
Terrible and shocking news. Such a talented and generous artist. I am extremely saddened.
That is very sad. He was the best mentalist I had ever seen. He will be missed. :devilish:
How sad and tragic. Having lost a son in a similar way we never know how deep ones hurt runs. That is why it is always so important to listen and offer support.

I remember Tim as a young guy at FFFF blowing guys away with the cylinder and coins. I never had chance to see him work the mentalism but I am sure it was every bit as Flawless.

Rest in Peace Tim.

Richard
Tim will always be remembered as an amazing person and talent. His take on Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins still hails as one of the finest. Check the Mullica Bash Video for it.

May he rest in peace.
That is the most disappointing news I've heard in a long time. Like several others, I use some of Tim's original work in my Cylinder & Coins, and I'll never forget how he personally walked me through his version of Translocation.

Eric Mead was practicing it at Bob Kohler's house during a major convention in Vegas (one of the Magic Live! events), and I asked him if he would share some of the handling that I didn't quite get. Eric told me it was Tim's and that I should ask him. So the later at the convention room I bumped into him [Tim] and asked him about it. He immediately took me over to an empty corner of the room and we sat down on the floor where he proceeded to walk me through the routine until I got it.

I've known many very generous pros over the years, but none were more generous that Tim Conover.

TW
There are no words to express this loss both on a personal level and to the world of Magic. Timmy was one of our very, very best and a dear friend who grew up in our neighborhood in Alexandria, VA. I can only pray that he has finally found some peace from his pain.
This is terrible news... he was truly one of the great sleight-of-hand workers and a super guy. I can't think of anything to say... :(
I just wanted to let everyone here know that I have spoken with Tim's family and they wanted me to convey that all of the outpouring of sympathy is greatly appreciated. Right now they are understandably overwhelmed with grief, and may not be able to respond to everyone's kind messages that were left on Facebook. They take some comfort in knowing that Tim was so loved and respected in the magic community. Services for Tim are still being arranged and the details of which may be made available later.
Thanks for the excellent clip of Mr. Conover working. An awful shame and tragedy.
A real loss to the world, magic or otherwise. I received a phone call late last night with the sad news. :(

Tim was the best close-up magician I've ever seen. His moves were flawless. He did all the [i]classics[/i] and did them proud. In addition, his mentalism stuff was just as amazing.

Quite in person, when Tim was performing he reminded me of a Pentecostal preacher - very animated and full of energy...lots of energy. :)

The last time I saw Tim was in Boston. I ushered him over to perform some stuff for uncle Paul. Chosse was stunned. :nod:

I shall miss Tim very much.
Very sad news.
A terrible loss and such a sad state of affairs.
[quote]
On 2011-02-03 18:44, Steve Brooks wrote:
A real loss to the world, magic or otherwise. I received a phone call late last night with the sad news. :(

Tim was the best close-up magician I've ever seen. His moves were flawless. He did all the [i]classics[/i] and did them proud. In addition, his mentalism stuff was just as amazing.

Quite in person, when Tim was performing he reminded me of a Pentecostal preacher - very animated and full of energy...lots of energy. :)

The last time I saw Tim was in Boston. I ushered him over to perform some stuff for uncle Paul. Chosse was stunned. :nod:

I shall miss Tim very much.
[/quote]

Energy is an understatement- there was never a stagnant or dead moment in his show- I can still hear him shouting and jumping up and down, "TREMENDOUS DECISION...TREMENDOUS!!! Kind and charismatic, he touched everyone who saw him. My girlfriend treasures the spoon he bent for her- keeping it on her make up vanity! He was one of the few who took routines that no one did and made them gems and fooled everyone badly. His mem deck work and his bending coin routines, the way he did Slydini and the list goes on and on...Tim was a giant, troubled as most artists are, but an incredible talent none the less.
A very close friend of mine was mentored and a close friend to Tim's. At the last Magic Live in Vegas, my friend asked Tim if he would be gracious enough to perform a little private close-up show for us. Tim didn't hesitate - he set up his show in an empty banquet room and performed at one of the tables right there. There were about 10 to 15 of us watching. I sat right next to Tim as he performed some of the most powerful, classic, close-up magic I had ever seen. The Goshman shakers, cylinder and coins, a bent coin routine that still is burned in my memory. Unbelievable technique that just didn't stop. But what got you was his personality - just so approachable, so nice a guy. And very giving. I am heartbroke over this and I only met the man once, but I'm so blessed that I did.

Doug Brewer
R.I.P Tim Conover
This was and is very sad news. SIGH:(
May God bless his family.
Tim's family has asked me to share the following details with the magic community. All are welcome to attend. Feel free to private message me with any questions.

The Memorial Service celebrating Tim's life will be held on Friday, February 18th at 6:00.

The location is as follows.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
2397 Newstead Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
The following message was posted in the comments thread of my report on Tim's passing (http://bit.ly/dHijZ2), But I thought that I'd share it here for those that do not read comments to insure that more see it. The Memorial Service celebrating Tim's life will be held on Friday, February 18th at 6:00 pm.

In addition, you can read a touching memorial to Tim from a friend here: http://bit.ly/fv1r2f

[i]Timothy Gene Conover was born at 1:25 AM on April 1, 1959. He has been our pride and joy from that day forward. The nurses in the hospital where he was born insisted that he would be famous one day. It has taken days for me to write my feelings, and only now do I realize there are no words to express the pain of losing our Tim. God Bless my dear child.
Mom[/i]
R.I.P. Tim

:(

Regan