(Close Window)
Topic: Dave Forrest's 'DECEPTION' Vol.1
Also on the Horizon from Full 52: Dave Forrest's 'DECEPTION' Vol.1

http://www.full52.com/deception.htm

The Trailer for Dave's new offering (to come) is excellent. Very stylish.

The best thing about it is that it's not yet another trailer shot on a street,
using quick cuts of drunken spectators.

I love Dave's work. It's always very creative. Looking forward to getting this one.
Can't wait to see the new gaffs.

And if there's a Volume 1, I'm sure there will be a volume 2.
Here's the Contents:

Here's a complete list of what's in store:

ONE MORE THING: The four Kings are lost in the deck and then sudenly produced from four very unexpected places.

ONE: A named card is the only one in the box. Dave opened his Magic Castle act with this effect - a STUNNER!

MATRIX: Four X’s drawn on the back of a signed card magically congregate in one corner, visualy moving one at a time.

PICCALILLI: An incredibly magical sandwich effect with two selected cards!

S.C.T.A: A clever and direct handling of ‘Spectator Cuts the Aces’.

MENTHOLISM: A signed card visualy appears, folded up inside a completely empty Tic-Tac box! You have to see it to believe it - it’s JAW DROPPING!

DALI: A prediction - a drawing of a playing card - suddenly jumps off your business card becoming a real miniature card!

THE SPECTRE: An ingenious gimmick that allows you to produce any card from the card card case.

DISCARDED: A selected card appears between two Aces on the table that shouldn’t even be there! Dave’s handling of a popular John Bannon effect.

PROBLEM SOLVED: This could well be the most direct handling of the Hofzinser Ace Problem ever devised.

R.S.M.S: The Riffle Shufle Multiple Shift allows you to invisibly control a number of cards to the bottom of the deck under cover of a riffle shuffle.

DON’T BLINK: Two variations of an incredibly open and visual colour change. With just a wave of the pack and without cover, one card morphs into another!

PLUS: You'll also learn the incredible 'WHIRLIGIG CONTROL', the 'ROUNADBOUT PRODUCTION' and Dave's 'TILT SUBTLETY'
Sounds fantastic as most of Mr Forrest's work is - is there a release date yet?
At the Blackpool convention.

but, available for pre-order.
There is some great stuff on this project!

"One" is Dave's most recent version of "Alone" from his "Nevermind" dvd. We reworked the effect via a bunch of emails and streamlined the heck out of it. Dave used it to open his Magic Castle set. I used it as the opening effect at my recent lectures. It's great! But then again, I'm biased.

Dave also shared The Spectre with me a while ago. Absolutely ingenious gimmick. Typical Forrest ingenuity. You guys will love it.
[quote]
On 2011-02-08 19:36, Cameron Francis wrote:
There is some great stuff on this project!

"One" is Dave's most recent version of "Alone" from his "Nevermind" dvd. We reworked the effect via a bunch of emails and streamlined the heck out of it. Dave used it to open his Magic Castle set. I used it as the opening effect at my recent lectures. It's great! But then again, I'm biased.

Dave also shared The Spectre with me a while ago. Absolutely ingenious gimmick. Typical Forrest ingenuity. You guys will love it.
[/quote]
"Nevermore" lolz..nevermind
During the filming sessions of GatheRing and SCARED, Dave shared with me a couple of items from this new DVD. Again, this is a very bias opinion but it is some beautifully crafted magic. His control (the name escapes me but can be seen in the demo) is absolutely gorgeous and is so incredibly deceptive. I've used it ever since seeing it and rate it through and through.

This man is like a computer, he is constantly ahead of the trends and most everything he comes out with is pure gold. Not to mention his glistening white teeth and the was he seems to run in slow motion!... Just me?!

This is gonna be rocking!

Jamie Daws
[quote]
On 2011-02-08 19:48, JamieD wrote:
During the filming sessions of GatheRing and SCARED, Dave shared with me a couple of items from this new DVD. Again, this is a very bias opinion but it is some beautifully crafted magic. His control (the name escapes me but can be seen in the demo) is absolutely gorgeous and is so incredibly deceptive. I've used it ever since seeing it and rate it through and through.

This man is like a computer, he is constantly ahead of the trends and most everything he comes out with is pure gold. Not to mention his glistening white teeth and the was he seems to run in slow motion!... Just me?!

This is gonna be rocking!

Jamie Daws
[/quote]

Agreed! Dave's stuff is 99.9% of the time spot on! Just great magic. Keep Em Comin Dave!

RNK
Anyone seen this?
Message: Posted by: james_thecanadian_magician (Feb 28, 2011 08:49PM)
Its funny you asked, cause I just received mine tday . All I can say is this is yet again great Dave Forrest magic. It really is.

The first one I want towork on is Spectre. Ireally like that one.
Message: Posted by: james_thecanadian_magician (Feb 28, 2011 09:31PM)
I just wanted to add something else here. I know thsat that Hofsinzer ace fans are going to love the version that's on this dvd. In my opinion, it's the best version I've seen. It's impropmtu but also VERY magical.

Thanks,
James Colonna
I agree, I got it at Blackpool.
So much GOLD.
Classic Forrest!

Kyle :)
Dave gave me a copy in Blackpool -the actual material on the DVD is really good and well structured.
You can't go wrong with anything Mr.Forrest comes up with ;)

Peter
Thanks for the nice comments guys. A few people have said this is the best material I've ever put on DVD...I blush!

Here's a couple of Youtube links so you can see actual performances straight from the DVD of both 'ONE' and 'MENTHOLISM':

'ONE' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wi_6fFG8VI

'MENTHOLISM' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf17ZtZQH3Y

These are the two effects I was demming most at Blackpool. Also, I opened my Magic Castle act in January with 'ONE' to some amazing reactions but there is a lot more stuff on the DVD and it's all totally practical stuff so you'll actually use it instead of watching the DVD once before shelving it!

All the best,

Dave.
Hi all,

Here's a review of Deceptions:

The DVD is very nicely produced, with good quality video, audio, and transition effects.
It all looks very classy and modern.
In addition, the value for money is phenomenal, with 12 brilliant effects and moves, for only £20.00!
Here are some of my highlights:

1. ONE - A stunning mentalism effect, that really plays big. A named card ends up being the ONLY ONE in a box! (And depending on other situations, various twists can also occur).
2. Piccalilli - A really nice sandwich effect, that I really like using. Very fun and commercial!
3. Spectre - A no palm card to box, that is so clean, and the gimmick is very very ingenious indeed!
4. Problem Solved - A commercial and clean Hofzinser Ace problem themed trick. Probably the most streamlined one out there!
5. Whirligig control - This is an extra on the DVD, explained in one of the tricks. I find it a very fun and fooling control, but some will love it, and some will hate it!

So overall, a well produced DVD packed with lots of commercial tricks and moves, all for a great price.
Recommended.

You can buy it here: http://www.full52.com/deception.htm

Best wishes,

Kyle
Yeah, this is great. Kind of surprised more people aren't talking about it. If you guys liked Trickery, you will love this. Clever, clever material.
Yep, this is Dave Forrest at his creative best. Lots of effects here that I will use. And totally agree with Motown....can't wait for volume 2!
I too really enjoyed this DVD. This is probably my favourite Dave Forest DVD since The Trickery and that is saying something!

All the effects are good, but some of my favourites are: Spectre, which is a diabolical gimmick which can be used to create absolute miracles, Problem Solved which is my favourite handling of the Hofzinser Ace problem to date, and One More Thing is a fantastic version of Richard Sanders' King Thing!

Plus, I LOVE the Whirligig control!

Highly Recommended!

Iain.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Congreave (Mar 10, 2011 09:48AM)
I agree completely Iain, I've just watched it and it's got some great stuff on there, I can't wait to start using some of this stuff.

Well done Dave, cracking stuff mate!
Awsome DVD Dave,

I love it. As soon as I saw the first effect I knew what to expect from this project. As with all your work great commercial material well put together routines and some great new controls (loving the Whirligig)

Everyone will find something they can use on here.

Great stuff as always and one of the best DVD's I have seen to date.

TOP NOTCH.
Message: Posted by: james_thecanadian_magician (Mar 17, 2011 10:14AM)
Bring on volume 2 !!!!!!!
I give this an 8 out of 10. Practical, well routined magic, with something for every skill level. The ONE routine had me laughing out loud. Verrrrry cheeky and a great performance piece.
Well done David on an excellent dvd.

John
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for saying nice stuff n'that!

To anyone who's interested you can download two free effects and explanations from 'Deception'. These were two effects that were supposed to be included in the project but, due to having no room left on the disk, they ended up on the cutting room floor! But, I've saved them and they can now be downloaded by anyone who might like to see them, free of charge - just visit the website and head to the 'Deception' page...

And, I'm currently offering free shipping site-wide for a limited time. Just use discount code: 'freeship' at checkout!

Thanks again everyone - all the best!

Dave.
There's only one thing better than Forrest - FREE FORREST!

Just watched the performances, not sure I'll perform boxer but Mr.E is a great little trick and I can see myself performing it as it's a simple go to trick that I can see giving laypeople a big headache.
And what's better than giving a layperson a headache? Um.....I don't have a witty answer to that at the moment.

Thanks Dave - I will be purchasing Deception Vol 1 as soon as I have money!
I'm just watching this now but just wanted to say..........The Spectre is worth the price of the DVD alone. Dave, you could have quite easily sold this as a one trick DVD, it's ingenious!!

Gary Jones.
I thought he was going to sell it as a one trick dvd! :) Amazed he put it on this collection as it could have easily been marketed on its own.
If the two free effects that Dave is offering is any indication of how awesome the dvd set is...then this set will rock.

I rarely buy new dvd's but I will be getting this soon.

The whirligig control looks like it would kick as hard as Chuck Norris.

DO
Just ordered it.
WHERE IS IT?................What do you mean I have to wait for it to be delivered? That's ridiculous!

I'm a little bit excited about getting this.
Hi All,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on Dave Forrest's new DVD Deception.
bought it on the 18th (as you'll see above) and received it yesterday, 23rd.
First impressions are very good, production value, artwork and general feel for the DVD are all top draw.
I'd like to say that all of the material is terrible and not worth buying so that no-one else buys it but unfortunately that would be a categorical lie.

As a regular worker and performer of card tricks when I buy a DVD I'm usually happy with a DVD if there's 2 tricks I can take from it and add to my repertoire.
With Deception I can honestly that I can see myself using every trick on this DVD as all of it is solid, hard hitting, streamlined and easy to perform.
The couple of tricks involving gimmicks maybe slightly harder to slip in to a working routine but the effects using the gimmicks are SO strong that I will find a way.

The teaching is thorough without being patronising and with every trick bar one once I had watched the explanation once I could remember the handling already.
Can't wait to get out and perform some of these effects.

Congratulations Dave on a top notch DVD, can't wait for Volume 2!

Regards,
Chris Piercy
Specter should have been a one trick dvd. All the effects on here are kickass. now one back routine on there imho
Couldn't agree more Alan, Spectre is an absolute killer and could clearly have filled an entire DVD with jawdropping material but Dave has generously given the principle so to buyers of Deception to let their imaginations run wild with and I'm not going to argue about it! haha.
Message: Posted by: james_thecanadian_magician (Mar 24, 2011 03:02PM)
The one routine that caught me off guard was one of the free effects, that was left off the dvd. The mystery card trick. I want to use that one.
Haven't ordered the dvd yet, but yes Mr. E (Mystery) :) is just fantastic. I haven't stopped playing with this since watching.
Great stuff Dave!
Hi,

Thanks to all of you for saying more nice stuff!

Interesting point about 'Mr.E'. The method behind this was a nugget of an idea that I came up with years ago. I showed it to Cameron Francis and we both started exploring the possibilities but we both agreed in the end that anything we developed at the time was just way too complicated. I think we both laboured under the misapprehension that the core deception was too weak to stand on its own. So, we tried to disguise it under a load of fluff - that's what you call thinking like a magician! As it turns out, the deception actually benefits from being untouched. It's clarity that makes this trick effective and that's what we completely lost sight of.

Incidentally, I really like the title too - 'Mr'E'. Sounds like 'Mystery' while also being a tribute to the man who created the move around which the whole deception is built!

Was that interesting? Hope so...

Anyway, do remember that there is currently free shipping at the website. Use code 'freeship'.

And, you can also get 10% off this DVD by using the code: 'newtenoff'

You can input both codes and enjoy both discounts! Just put one code in and hit 'update cart' then put the other code in and hit 'update cart' - easy! When you use both discounts it adds up to pretty healthy saving!

All the best,

Dave.
[quote]
On 2011-03-25 04:55, Dave Forrest wrote:
Hi,

Thanks to all of you for saying more nice stuff!

Interesting point about 'Mr.E'. The method behind this was a nugget of an idea that I came up with years ago. I showed it to Cameron Francis and we both started exploring the possibilities but we both agreed in the end that anything we developed at the time was just way too complicated. I think we both laboured under the misapprehension that the core deception was too weak to stand on its own. So, we tried to disguise it under a load of fluff - that's what you call thinking like a magician! As it turns out, the deception actually benefits from being untouched. It's clarity that makes this trick effective and that's what we completely lost sight of.

Incidentally, I really like the title too - 'Mr'E'. Sounds like 'Mystery' while also being a tribute to the man who created the move around which the whole deception is built!

Was that interesting? Hope so...

Anyway, do remember that there is currently free shipping at the website. Use code 'freeship'.

And, you can also get 10% off this DVD by using the code: 'newtenoff'

You can input both codes and enjoy both discounts! Just put one code in and hit 'update cart' then put the other code in and hit 'update cart' - easy! When you use both discounts it adds up to pretty healthy saving!

All the best,

Dave.
[/quote]
Oh no I just ordered this before seeing Dave's post about the discounts. Darn my luck.
Sevenup,

I've just refunded what you overpaid by PayPal.

Thanks for the order.

Dave.
Well said, Dave. I think we both fell into that "magician's magic" trap that we all fall into occasionally. I love that you took the original concept and went back to basics with it. It's just direct and awesome now.
[quote]
On 2011-03-25 10:14, Dave Forrest wrote:
Sevenup,

I've just refunded what you overpaid by PayPal.

Thanks for the order.

Dave.
[/quote]
Wow, I didn't expect that Dave. I'm looking forward to this greatly.
I agree with everything that has been said so far.

Spectre is awesome and opens the door for so many effects.

Dave's handling of the Hofzinser Ace plot is so clean and super simple.

His work on the multiple shift puts it into the hands of anyone almost immediately.

Whirligig control is just awesome. Period.

So many great effects and ideas on here...as I watched, all I could think about was wanting to see a second volume!

DO
Watched this last night while waiting for a gig to start. Excellent DVD David. Bravo!!
David's best work to date in my honest opinion. Some extremely strong and very practical performance pieces on this dvd.
Well done David.

Best

John Carey
This is indeed an excellent DVD. It's filled with clever plots, interesting methods, and most importantly - solid useable material.

If you'd like a chance to win a FREE copy we're giving one away today on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/elmwoodmagic
Best DVD this year so far. I agree with the rest of the group are saying, the effects on this DVD can be sold as single effects and Dave would have been richer...nevertheless, I am grateful for having it on a price I can afford, especially with FEDex shipping (normal shipping is still a heavy risk in my country).

I especially love "Problem Solved" in which I believe the cleanest and simplest way to perform Hoffiznser's Ace Problem. I have to biased since I am obsessed with the effect fot many years and Dave provided me the best solution yet. In addition, I also shared my own handling to Dave in order to remove a sleight near the end of the effect. Dave said it's a cool idea so just PM me if you're interested.

Bottom line, this DVD fits right next to John Bannon's Bullets After Dark and Eric Jone's Extension of Me (2009 and 2010 best DVDs for me).
Not bought this yet , but I heard about One and really liked the idea ,and then hearing the rave about Specter , I think its worth a shout, iv said this before but every time I wanna move away from cards someone brings something out that stops me!!!

Thanks

Dean
May have to pick this up as well!
Another excellent DVD from Dave Forrest. I am a big fan of his material and use quite a few of his effects, his material is practical and unique. I have been roadtesting 'Dali' off Deceptions Vol.1 to a great response. Looking forward to vol.2.
Currently £5.00 off on this DVD - offer ends Monday.

Get it while it's hot!

Dave.

P.S. Have you read this review... http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0907deceptions.html