(Close Window)
Topic: Selfworking prop
I have been using a dove pan with one dove and it has worked really well for me. But I am looking for a effect that is equally as strong as the dove pan. I would be very thankful if you could share your thoughts on that.
What sort of effect? Another appearance? A Vanish? How do you see this working in your routine?
I would like it to be an appearance a final trick for my show
Get a mini Blammo Box.
Whatever it is, if it's to be your last trick (and assuming you work alone), make sure it has plenty of air holes.
The Mini Blammo is a really neat device!

What sort of sizes are they available in in terms of load capacity? Are there plans available if I wanted to build one to my specifications?

I've been toying with ideas of how I could make my Macaw appear short of a big-bird silk load...
Dove from Newspaper
I hope this thread isn't going to fill up with everyone's favorite dove production box. Einzo requested an effect, not a prop, so he just doesn't want (I think) a "here's-an-empty-bag-box-or-tube-and-presto-now-there's-a-dove-in-it" prop.

So, einzo, consider a silk to egg, or egg on fan, and when you finally crack open the egg, it contains a dove or something like that. If you have to have a prop that the dove sits inside while awaiting the grand entrance, consider something like Jim Gerrish's variation of the Rainbow Surprise Box (Found in his Hardboard and Duct Tape Magic Book 2 under the topic of "Pass Through Tubes.") That is a complete effect in which a gift box, handled by a spectator, changes colors and ends with a surprise appearance of the dove when the spectator opens the box looking to retrieve some vanished personal item. If you must have a box, that would be a good one to consider because it is a complete effect and the dove is comfortable inside it for up to an hour.

While I'm thinking about you using a dove pan, I hope you are doing a routine that allows you to have the spectator handle both the top and bottom of the empty pan and that you explain the large top as a fire safety measure. Most magicians don't show the top empty before the bird appears, and I think I'm alone in allowing the spectator to handle the empty top before I load it in plain (but unseen) sight. No, on reflection I think Stephen Christopher also performs the dove pan like that, but it's rare to see the average kid show performer take the time to really learn the dove pan.
Spell.

Cool idea on doing the load after the spectator inspects the top. Unfortunately ,my bird would never sit still for long enough in an unclosed pan :)

I DO explain it as safety precaution, and even create a mini "disaster" with some flash cotton to motivate covering the pan :)
It's called a metal screen and it has a magnet on top. Does that help? It is drawn away when the bird appears.
More than requires talking secret ju-ju stuff.
Clever!

Nope no more is needed :)
[quote]
On 2011-02-10 20:52, Spellbinder wrote:
I hope this thread isn't going to fill up with every-one's favorite dove production box. Einzo requested an effect, not a prop, so he just doesn't want (I think) a "here's-an-empty-bag-box-or-tube-and-presto-now-there's-a-dove-in-it" prop.

[/quote]
I could swear the title of this thread was "Self-working prop" the last time I read.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Feb 13, 2011 10:23PM)
Define self working?
A prop that, eh... works by itself, lol. I mean, one that does nearly all the dirty work for you, as in no needing to press a foot-switch, doesn't need an assistant or anything else other than removing a lid (As in a Blammo Box), for example.
Think about Trays. Kevin James carries a product titled Flash in a Pan, which is a visual Dove pan. Then there's the Dove from Picture frame, Very visual and baffling. Dove from balloon and I also perform a Dove from fire tray.
You are right Kyle. I am surprised I did not think of the Dove from Balloon Tray or Dove from Picture Frame. I got both of them.
The biggest issue with a dove tray is the amount of time the bird would be loaded. You said you were looking for a closer, so if your show is of typical length, that's too long to have the dove loaded. (Assuming you don't have an assistant who can manage this during the show.)

Personally, I used to use a Crystal Cylinder for a finale dove production. Worked well.
I have both Dove in Balloon and Gloves to Dove. Both are very well ventilated. I've been using them over 30 years! Mine were made by Chalet.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I think a Dove tray like mine, which is a modified dove tray which is cloth on the top and bottom, with small needle pin holes in it will allow the dove to sit in it quite snugly. I've had her in it for 15 min max... although I do believe it can last longer In there, I wont risk it. I'm not sure what model my tray is, but its modified so the top and bottom are cloth. The dove is very snug if you ask me...
The holes in mine are at least 1/4 inch.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander