(Close Window)
Topic: Need Help with Servo's
I have a project in mind and need to animate/move, or activate something via remote control..I had been told I could use a step motor to complete each part of the animation, another suggestion was to use servos to make each part of the animation happen...I need sources or more info on how these work. Any help would be much appreciated
Here's one source I have used before.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/servos.html?gclid=CKbtwKLA_KYCFUdrKgodaE6eCg
This may help:

http://makeprojects.com/Wiki/Servos

I believe it's an excerpt from Make Magazine, vol 19.

You might also try searching the Instructables site.
Check out a post called Rising Chest Lid - Any Ideas? There is some great information on the basic stamp and servo motors.
Of course, knowing a bit more of your project (what needs to move, how much etc.) would be helpful so people could offer some information.
There are lots of ways to go here. How many servos? Do you need to sync it to music or other audio? Does it need to be completely self-contained, or could you tie it to a computer? I'm assuming you want programmed motion that is triggered by R/C, as opposed to simply moving something via R/C by, say, twiddling the sticks on an R/C transmitter.

A lot of robotics enthusiasts these days are driving servos with programmable microcontrollers, like the Arduino, BASIC Stamp, and many others. For really simple applications, I have driven single servos directly off the BASIC Stamp (see Rising Chest Lid thread mentioned by davidj40). For more complex programming and multiple servos, I've used servo controllers, with a microcontroller or a computer sending it move commands. There are some servo controllers that work standalone, with onboard memory storing the movement info. Google "servo controller" to see examples of what's out there.

I am definitely not an expert on this. I only know enough about electronics and servos to get myself into trouble. There are many online communities that can help you. Folks that are into building Halloween props often do animation with servos. Google "Prop Controller" to see some ideas and products, or check out places like hauntforum.com. Search on "servo" on the Instructables.com site to see some examples of what folks are doing with servos.

Good luck,

Ross
[quote]
On 2011-02-09 21:59, davidj40 wrote:
Check out a post called Rising Chest Lid - Any Ideas? There is some great information on the basic stamp and servo motors.
[/quote]

Just out of interest. What forum would I look in to find this post?
Thanks
doug
[quote]
On 2011-07-02 10:38, en2oh wrote:

Just out of interest. What forum would I look in to find this post?
[/quote]

It's in the Workshop forum, several pages back:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=393802&forum=26&25