(Close Window)
Topic: Device on the Tony Clark Instant Dove Release
This particular dove harness has a device, almost like a tiny plastic hinge on it. Does anybody know what these are called, or where they can be found. I know I saw them in a hobby store or something a few years ago, but I can't remember where.
Jeremy, the technical term for this device is plastic hinge :lol: They are available in hobby stores and also in fabric stores like JoAnns.
Yes they're plastic hinges, and I have looked in JoAnn fabrics and other places, but haven't been able to find them lately. Does anybody know of any other places?
Isn't it a snap button? Or am I referring to something different?

http://asiabutton.win.mofcom.gov.cn/www/11/asiabutton/img/20079523710.jpg
Your thinking something different....... Tony Clark uses a plastic hinge on his instant dove. Did you try Michael's or AC more?
Plastic hinges are used on model airplanes. Check radio controlled planes and kits for them.

Richard
Jeremy, just out of curiosity, why do you need a source for these. The one that comes with Tony's harness is pretty much indestructible.
There are actually multiple uses I have found for them, not as replacements, but rather for other gimmicks in my dove act. One is for a covering for an appearing cage, to keep it concealed until it is pulled, similar to the dove harness, but on a lager scale, and with a different way to release them. I have actually done it with metal hinges which do work, but probably not as well.
I found plastic hinges on the Internet, but you have to buy a large quantity. Just do a Google search. I find a lot of this stuff referenced on the Café, put it my favorites, now my favorites is so large, it is lost again.
You might want to drop Tony a message and ask where he gets his from. He's a member here but you might have better luck sending him an email.
Ya I did try once. Maybe I'll try again.
I don't know if you took my advice, probably not as there was no comments toward that end.

So I Googled clear plastic hinge and come up with several choices. You have not mentioned the size of the hinge, as I do not own his dove bag.

You might get better response for Tony Clark if you ask to purchase the hinges from him. My experience with Tony Clark, is if he is uncomfortable answering an email, he will just not respond. I ask him if he would send me a DVD of one of his download files, due to his none response, I take it the answer was no.
I have done web searches multiple times and never really found anything acceptable. The hinges are quite small, each piece is about half an inch wide, and 5/8 inch long.
[quote]You might get better response for Tony Clark if you ask to purchase the hinges from him. My experience with Tony Clark, is if he is uncomfortable answering an email, he will just not respond.[/quote]

I've never had that type of situation with Tony. He's always answered my emails. I wouldn't use our PM system as he doesn't get here very often but he should answer your email.
As I do not know what you are looking for, then you will have to tell me what is wrong with these.

http://www.thefabricatorssource.com/products/19acryl.htm

[url=http://www.abcplastics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=31&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&cid=10031]abcplastics[/url]

@Dave, I am not a liar, I am only telling my personal experience with Tony Clark. Having met Tony several times over the years, he is a really nice guy. I think he is an excellent magician and I respect him very much. He was trained in the magic business by Norm Nielsen, and the policy of Mr. Nielsen must have been passed on as well. I sell what I sell and how I sell it. Norm told me once if I wanted my Sword thru Body with the silk wrapping, to just buy another sword from him. So the easy way to get the hinge would be to just buy another Dove Bag.
Tony is a top notch professional. I recently had question concerning making a custom prop based somewhat on one of his products. I have known Tony for years and contacted him. He graciously allowed me to make this for the gentleman.

As for the hinges, I must agree that I wondered why you needed these hinges also. You answered to my satisfaction. I am always careful in giving out sources as they are often the key to making various products. I am sure this is why you have not heard from Tony. I would just let it go and not press the issue.

There are Thomas Registers, the internet and several leads you have been given here. You have to take the time to find the items. I cannot tell you how much time I spend just hunting various materials. I protect my sources very closely.

Richard
[quote]
On 2011-02-14 22:40, wmhegbli wrote:
@Dave, I am not a liar, I am only telling my personal experience with Tony Clark. Having met Tony several times over the years, he is a really nice guy. I think he is an excellent magician and I respect him very much. He was trained in the magic business by Norm Nielsen, and the policy of Mr. Nielsen must have been passed on as well. I sell what I sell and how I sell it. Norm told me once if I wanted my Sword thru Body with the silk wrapping, to just buy another sword from him. So the easy way to get the hinge would be to just buy another Dove Bag.
[/quote]

Bill, don't misunderstand. I wasn't calling you a liar. I was, like you, stating my experience with Tony. The OP sounds like he wants several sets of these so buying 3 or 4 dove bags to get the hinges might be cost prohibitive.
[quote]
On 2011-02-14 22:40, wmhegbli wrote:
As I do not know what you are looking for, then you will have to tell me what is wrong with these.

http://www.thefabricatorssource.com/products/19acryl.htm

[url=http://www.abcplastics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=31&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&cid=10031]abcplastics[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this. These hinges are somewhat similar, I suppose that it might be worth checking them, but it's probably unlikely that they would work, at least not as well, because they are a little large, and it needs to be possible to remove the pins, and sew them unto fabric. One thing that I should probably specify about the hinges used on the Tony Clark harnesses, for those who haven't seen them is that the hinges are not actually used as "hinges", they don't have any pin connecting them, but something else entirely that gets removed during the act.

[quote]
Bill, don't misunderstand. I wasn't calling you a liar. I was, like you, stating my experience with Tony. The OP sounds like he wants several sets of these so buying 3 or 4 dove bags to get the hinges might be cost prohibitive.
[/quote]

Correct. I could simply order multiple harnesses, but it would be quite expensive because I do need several, possibly dozens, because in addition to the gimmick I mentioned, there have been multiple other gimmicks I have thought about making. The Tony Clark Dove harness is an ingenious gimmick, and I do believe that the same basic concept can be used in many other props. As I mentioned before, I have done it with similar metal hinges, which aren't as good, but maybe I'll just have to stick with them for awhile.
Jeremy, here's a site that might help. I don't the exact same hinge that Tony uses but it might be worth looking at.

http://www.ashfordmodel.co.uk/hinges-45-c.asp

If you're searching the web, try looking for mylar hinges rather than plastic hinges. I think mylar is closer to what you are looking for.
I did purchase Tony's instant Dove Release before. If Tony did not invent it, I was going to be the inventor: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=311746&forum=13 :nod:

What I do not like about the plastic hinges is the difficulty of trying to align the two parts of the hinges when putting thru the fish line. So I changed to using a mini metal hinge instead.
[quote]
If you're searching the web, try looking for mylar hinges rather than plasic hinges. I think mylar is closer to what you are looking for.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot for this suggestion. By searching for "mylar" hinges, somehow it eventually led me to finding these;
http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-dubro-hinges#page=1
http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-control-slot-cars/DUB257.html?fe_feedid=138&utm_source=thefind&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=feedexact
It actually turned out to be "nylon" hinges rather than "plastic" or "mylar". These are the best ones I've ever found online, and I'm still finding more. They still aren't the same as the ones on the Tony Clark harness, but they may very well be close enough, and may actually be easier to load.
Nylon hinges are are also used to build model airplanes. Check your hobby shop.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I do not know the size of these hinges but McMaster Carr has some. Look up surface mount hinges-plastic or polycarbonate with removable pins.

Half the battle of doing a search is knowing what to search for name wise.

Richard
You can also use metallic hinges, paint them black or any other desired color. They can be found in Home Depot and this kind of stores in USA in the furniture accessories section.
The problem with the metal hinges is their weight. Even though they are small, nylon/mylar ones are almost weightless.