(Close Window)
Topic: Airport security!!!
I'm going on vacation to California and I decided to bring some tricks(of course). I'm bringing them in a bag on board with me and in my bag I have pen through dollar and some other metalic items. would those mess up the metal detectors? or should I just put them in my lugage? thanx
Unless you can afford to lose them, put them in your luggage. The pen could be confiscated because it can easily be used as a weapon.
I also have a Kaps on Fire Wallet and I'm guessing I should also put that in my luggage?
Message: Posted by: Alexander the Magician (Aug 1, 2003 12:47AM)
Take cards on the plane, carry on NOTHING else. NOTHING, its only a couple hours, you'll make it.
Actually last August I took my entire close-up briefcase to Mexico. I went through three airports in and three out, twice through customs and no one even opened the case.

They did have a procedure where they checked the locks, hinges and handle for signs of explosives. I figured when it went through the metal detector it would have to be opened, but not at all.

I did go through it and removed any questionable items such as the cap gun I used for my Sure As Shootin shooting through a card routine, the butter knife for a card stab trick, etc.

I suppose I was just lucky but the way I see it I would rather they lose my luggage than that case of magic.
Alexander, nothing? He can take his cards and a good book! :rotf:

I also went to Mexico not to long ago and carried my close-up pouch on the whole trip and was only asked to open it up once...

I did remember to REMOVE my color changing knives, that might have been a problem. :jump:
I always carry on my close-up case with me. I made a boo-boo a while back by not checking before I got on the plane.

I was booked at a conference to do strolling magic the night before at the intro cocktail party and at the last night's party. I asked my host to buy me a container of lighter fluid since I could not fly with it. I carried my close-up case on with me.

My host bought the lighter fluid as requested and I used it the first night in my fire wallet and I put the rest into my close-up case in the same spot I always do, so I could use it for the last night of the conference.

On the last day, the conference center experienced a brown out so we were moved to a new location. Well, the transportation to the new location and setup time ate into the dinner schedule and my strolling gig was cut. No biggie. The problem is, I forget to remove the lighter fluid from my close-up case.

The next day I flew out of San Diego to Salt Lake with no problem. I had a 4-hour layover in Salt Lake so I left the airport for a little while. When I returned, they did a thorough search of my case and found the lighter fluid. It was not a laughing matter.

It took over an hour to get that worked out. And of course I missed my flight and had to wait for the late one. The moral of the story is - even if you're sure, check again. Bob
Sounds like that was a painful experience.

I remember flying to Dallas from Toronto, and forgetting to empty out some questionable items from my pockets (it was a business trip for the full time job, not a magic related trip.) I alway carry a few things on me just in case, (TT, cards, a few coins, and lately my Ninja Rings).

Well, the people at the airport were a little more than curious as to what they were for, but it was sorted out in about 10 minutes.

David.
When I did Mac World in 2002, I ran into some very unpleasant issues with airport security.

First, outbound from Chicago - no problem. All of my stuff was checked, but no problems.

On the way BACK, flying out of Laguardia, things got decidedly dicey.

In my carry on, I had my act and in it I had a lunchbox that I got as a gag prop from American Science Center. It's a typical tin lunchbox with a Radiation Hazard tag on one side and a Biohazard sign on the other.

I had checked with the FAA and the offices of airport security before going out there and was told that, because it was a prop and obviously no threat (it held a deck of cards, some sponge balls and some rubber bands), that there would be no problem. I even had a copy of the faxed notice with me.

At Laguardia, the security guy scans my stuff and opens it.

I am suddenly getting rhinoscopy with the business end of an M-16 from the National Guardsman standing at the booth.

They stopped just short of a strip search. NOT fun.

Other things to be aware of - airport security does not seem to like the following items (I speak from experience) - color changing knives, even if the blades are glued down and inoperable, scissors of ANY kind, nail clippers (New York, especially.

I always wondered about that one - what is someone going to do with a pocket nail clipper - MANICURE the passengers to death?!

They also do not like ANY kind of liquid that is not in a water bottle that you may be asked to drink from. Slush powder, if found, will probably earn you a strip search. Flash paper, remarkably, does not seem to be much of a problem except in Miami where they do the sniffer devices and even there, you can usually get them to go with it by proving you are a magician.

So be careful, folks. Airport security is no longer a laughing matter.

Now, can anyone tell me how to get this muzzle flash deflector out of my right sinus cavity?

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
thanks for all the posts, it's really helpful and hopefully I wont have to learn first hand on some of these!
Coins can cause problems as well. I always carry my Lassen gaffs with me as carry on as I don't trust the airlines enough to put them in my luggage. I am stopped everytime and searched. I was told by security that they are now making knives that can be hidden in coins.
I don't know if this is true, it's just what I was told.
Bruce Johnson (Charlie the Juggling Clown) tells a wonderful story of going through customs at the airport and when they opened his trunk marked Magic Props, his appearing cane opened and shot across the room.

He then had some explaining to do :wow:
I travel with my close-up case every time I travel. I make it a point to inform security before I go through the line as to the nature of the objects I am carrying. Pyrotechniques and knives are never accepted, therefore they must go with your checked luggage.
Ahem, Michaels, how about sharing with everyone what happened to you a long time ago when you forgot to remove the Al Cohen effect from your jacket? It's a really funny story (but if it happened today, you'd be doing "bar" magic as in magic behind bars). :baby:
I agree with MrHypno...
Really intelligent people don't wind up in airport security jobs. Seriously, what real damage could be done with nail clippers? Yet you can take a steel Cross pen on board with no problem at all and I can think of at least 6 ways to kill, maim or otherwise incapacitate a person with a good ball point pen. However the business class passengers wouldn't be without a pen or pencil...so what is security really all about?
Cordially,
tr
:cool:
When I was a kid, some pop cans had to be opened with a can opener, and those cans were much thicker and tougher than today's aluminum cans -- similar to a soup can. I used BIC pens to open those cans! The commercial from the 70's gave me the idea. A BIC is one nasty weapon.
Yeah, it would seem that a shaprened pencil would be much more dangerous than a nail clippers... Maybe they're worried about those blades that some nail clippers have on them that are used to remove dirt from under the nails. I guess that could be used as a weapon, sort of.
"Anything is a weapon in the hands of one who understands." - Chiun, Master of Sinnanju, from the Destroyer novels.

Unfortunately, airport security views things through a myopic set of regulations that misses some serious items, like the Bic pen (they ignore it because it takes more skill and power to use it than an edged weapons, I'm told), drumsticks (a triple paradiddle on someone's cranium can be FATAL!), belts with large buckles (see any Jet Li movie), and a host of other innocent items, including glass bottles!

But they have their marching orders, so we who conjure have to deal with it.

Just be careful, check the regulations and cooperate when they tell you to do something - do it cheerfully.

Having an M-16 jammed up your nose with the Safety OFF is NOT an experience I want to experience again, nor do I wish it on anyone else!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Whoa! Hold on! Did that really happen to you? If it did then could you please explain? I don't mean to bring back any bad memories but you stirred my curiosity!

Chris
[quote]
On 2003-08-01 17:52, Larry Davidson wrote:
Ahem, Michaels, how about sharing with everyone what happened to you a long time ago when you forgot to remove the Al Cohen effect from your jacket? It's a really funny story (but if it happened today, you'd be doing "bar" magic as in magic behind bars). :baby:
[/quote]
(Transferred from another forum)
About 30 years ago when it was cool to wear a sports jacket with an open shirt and no tie is when my story begins. I was in college at the time at Maryland University when I decided to fly to Florida on spring break to cultivate my tan for the then accepted fashion with a sports coat.

Whenever I flew back then, I would wear a sports coat and it was always loaded with "Dagger Dime" which was one of the first tricks I ever purchased from Al Cohen in DC.
For those that are unfamiliar with "Dagger Dime" I will describe. It was a six inch blade covered by a sheath which was attached to an elastic pull. The effect I assume is obvious.

Forgetting that the blade was up my right sleeve, security proceeded to pull me aside after I went through the x-ray type machine. As I'm explaining to security that the miniature dagger up my sleeve was a magic trick, approx. 2 more guards appeared out of nowhere. After being thoroughly searched they requested I demo the trick to prove my innocence. Still skeptical I proceeded to demo a few tricks in my carry-on bag. Needless to say I was scared out of my mind and the security got a free 5 min. performance. Try performing under those conditions without shaking.

Today, that would have landed me in jail.
[quote]
On 2003-08-04 19:11, Seismic wrote:
Whoa! Hold on! Did that really happen to you? If it did then could you please explain? I don't mean to bring back any bad memories but you stirred my curiosity!

Chris
[/quote]

Yep! Really happened to me. Last year, leaving MacWorld in NYC, flying out of Laguardia.

I have a lunch box, which was in my camera bag (the one I use to carry my props) that has a radiation warning sticker on it and a biohazard warning on it.

I had cleared it in advance with airport security, but the guys at the gate evidently missed the memo or something, even when I showed it to them. The National Guardsman, seeing the security types gathering around me, decided that there as a problem and I wound up with an M-16 up my nose until the supervisor got there.

Once they opened the box and saw that it contained 2 decks of playing cards, 6 half dollar coins in a little bag, 4 sponge balls, a small golf ball, a handkerchief and a roll of Rolaids, they lightened up a little.

Then, one of them got the bright idea to check my business card.

I wound up having to do 10 minutes to PROVE that I am a magician! Needless to say, I no longer carry that lunchbox on gigs I fly to.

Then they decided that my shoes had some sort of metal inserts in them and X-rayed them as well, just to be certain.

So be careful out there. And don't believe everything that the Security staff tells you on the phone.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
I think that nail clippers could possibly be used to sever wire connections for vital functions of the plane - or communications perhaps. Assuming you had access to the right wiring.

Also, most nail clippers come equipped with a metal file that could be used to sharpen something into a weapon - like a broken peice of plastic. You could make a knife in a relatively short period of time.
I had a blank gun and a switchblade knife in my CHECKED bag... and was told to "declare" these before hand... which I did (in Portland, OR). So, they put it through x-ray, then opened the case (my stand up comedy magic act) and started to take everything out and lay it on a long table... I had some expensive "one-of-a-kind" props that are fragile and when I asked if they would let me re-pack, that set off their brains... it was the inspection from Hell.

I had four C0-2 cartridges and they took two, saying "you are only allowed 2" (I use one each show and if I had more than two shows what do do? -- I ship ahead?)

Anyway, there is a website to keep up with the latest rules. The one important item, if you carry a blank gun and it is in checked baggage it ALSO MUST BE IN A LOCKED CASE. And you declare it at the check in counter and fill out a form.

I could go on but my arms are tired, I just flew in from FISM and Prague vacation.

No problems other than delayed flights due to weather... I was nervous though having two spoons in my bag and a smoking thumb gimmick. :worry:
Thanks for the advice guys! I will be flying out of LAX to Orlando later on this year and I do plan on taking some magic with me. Probably just a couple coin purses and some cards.

I have heard horror stories from bringing Rocky on board!

I guess this rules out my Bullet Catch trick! (j/k!)

Chris
They might start checking our decks too. I just read that they think some decks could have a metal sharp edge and be used for throwing.
When will this madness stop.
[quote]
On 2003-08-07 08:00, 20Robert04 wrote:
they might start checking our decks too. I just read that they think some decks could have a metal sharp edge and be used for throwing.
[/quote]
One year ago security went through every one of my decks at Ft Lauderdale Intern. Now I know why. Thanks for the answer Robert!
Isn't it scary that security checks our bags and stuff, yet they don't check our wallets?

Very easy to carry a glimmer card.

Chris
For 12 years I have worked corprate security for a major airline, (I will not say who) and have had to take on my share of issues. (Remember that I'm the last step prior to the FBI)

There are a few things that should never be flown with, flash paper, flash cotton or any other combustible divice is a major no-no. Not because of the threat of a weapon, but just the fact that a fire at 40,000 feet is virtually impossible to put out.

Any container that has ever had combustible material also should not be flown with. I say this because at elevation gasses can sublimate much faster. An small regional outfit in Hawaii found this out the hard way. Containers that had stored kerosine had been loaded onto a small 6 seat aircraft. They were comletely empty. About 15 minutes out the pilot nearly passed out because the fumes had become so strong.

Compressed gasses like C02 are another issue in my mind. I removed a paintball gas can from a teenager about a year ago. The can was allready bulging from his outbound trip. Allthough the gas was inert and would not cause a fire if it were to rupture, if it were against the aircraft skin (which is only milimeters thick) is could cause a catostophic decompression of the aircraft. Forcing you to land in some other city than desired and probably missing your show.

The bottom line is, the governments security is not perfect, and will never be. It is only a deterent, and we as citizens must be prudent in our actions. I agree that some things seem outragous, but I promise noone intends to tell granny that her 14 inch knitting needles are being confiscated because she's a terrorist. But who might be sitting next to her? Trust me when I say there are plenty of loopy folks who fly and they are as much as a threat to your safety as any Mohammed Atta.

My advice to you all is simple, comply with requests, answer questions openly and without humor, and be on you best behavior. I can't believe that I even have to say this, but I have dealt with adults who have worse manners than my four year old son.
Diamond Jim has the right of it. Rule One in dealing with airport security is COOPERATE in a friendly, honest and open manner. Do NOT screw around with them!

These guys get plenty of guff from run-of-the-mill idiots. Magicians can be really off-putting if they decide to cop an attitude.

Remember, people, these folks can cause you MAJOR grief, including jail time, fines in the tens of thousands of dollar ranges and even force a body cavity search, should they deem it necessary (at last look at the regs.).

The LAST person you want to ***** off is the person who is going to do a body cavity search. Doing that is as bad as ticking off your dentist. You will experience a new definition of pain AND humiliation - trust me.

If it goes "bang, pop, flash" or uses compressed gas - leave it at home or ship it separately. It's just plain safer.

I learned my lesson the hard way (without the cavity search, thank you very much!). Don't repeat my mistake.

Although I DID check with Airport Security before ever going through and was told everything was okay, the guys at the checkpoint must have missed the memo or something.

NEVER trust what they tell you ahead of time. LOOK at your props and ask yourself - could this doohickey POSSIBLY be dangerous in ANY way that's remotely obvious, including someone snatching it from you and using it for a purpose that it was not intended for (like the knitting needles)?

If the answer is "yes," then either pack it, leave it behind or ship it separately.

Trust me on this. A 5.56mm (standard round in an M-16)nose job simply is not worth it.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Decks of cards is a new one on me. Let's just hope security never gets to see a copy of Ricky Jay's book, Cards as Weapons!

Hey Jim, I was in Security for ten years myself. I wrote training programs. Hmmm, both former security, both magicians, let's hope they don't find out we both work here, who knows what they would think about that. :)
Here is a link to the list of "Permitted & Prohibited Items" put out by the Transportation Security Administration: http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=12
While I wouldn't try to make a case for an item being permitted based on this list, it's a good place to see if something is definitely prohibited.

Undone
I would think you'd be OK with those items. Heck some of them even look like normal everyday items.
On similar note, I was travelling through Brownsville, TX airport on my way back from Mexico.
I acquired a new crucifix collection most made of copper, silver, and wood/steel combinations.

Well as soon as that thing hit the X-ray machine the fun began. Asked to open them, they looked at me rather strange. I assured them I had receipts and one certificate of authenticity to prove they were rightfully mine. Some advice here, never give more information than necessary. The concern and question at this point was can these large crucifixes be used as a weapon? I was not happy at the idea of confiscation. They had their fun with me and proceeded to examine the items.

Thanks for the link above member "Undone". The quoted rule at TSA/Transportation: "Items that are voluntarily abandoned cannot be recovered and will not be returned to you." Believe me I was reminded of that and not happy to hear it as I spent much time shopping for them and a little $. Why would I abandon the items you ask? I was nudingly reminded it would spare everyone legalities to include jail time.

The entire collection was removed from case, each unwrapped, and inspected as if they would eventually find a swivel piece exposing some contraband.

Finally made it through to do it all over again at DFW airport!
[quote]
They might start checking our decks too. I just read that they think some decks could have a metal sharp edge and be used for throwing.
[/quote]

If you had a shimmed card, that would appear on an x-ray, and, I would add, look rather suspicious. Also any deck that has been altered in anyway, would also look different.

Again, I would just check your bag, it is insured by any domestic airline up to $2500.00. If you are traveling international, it is only $640.00, so you may wish to purchase additional insurance.
One more question for those of you that have been recently traveling...

How many carry-on bags do they allow now? I hate the hassle of checking my bags. I just have a duffle bag and a backpack. If I MUST check my duffle bag I will, but I prefer to just take it as a carry-on.

Do they still allow 2 carry-ons?

Chris
Two carry-ons is what I found was allowed on my last flight (and meets the specifications for my upcoming one), but many airports now have the x-ray machine set up to only allow the correct size bag to pass through. If not they will probably have a basket at the start of the jet walk to limit the size of carry ons. Of course I still see many people with oversized carry on bags make it through, but don't count on it.

-Undone
Thanks Undone.

My duffle bag is pretty small. and my backpack is well...a backpack! Thanks again.

I just hate the thought of losing luggage. I've heard many horror stories.

Chris
The rule is (defined by the TSA): One carry on, and one small personal item (ie. laptop, reading material, male or female purse). Unfortunatly a backpack is up to opinion. You may be asked to check it.
Thanks for the info Jim. If I must check a bag then it will be my duffle bag. Backpack will have the magic equipment as well as CDs and CD player, etc.

I am kind of nervous about flying, not about terror attacks or anything, but about the whole getting through security!

Chris
I went on the plane and thanks to your help, I didn't get stopped! thanks again. :dancing:
I'll bet that airport security folks are getting a pretty good education on the different types of gaffs, gimmicks, trick coins, secret pockets, fake wallets, and other magical secrets.
MJMarrs, you are correct. Remember that anything we use for magic purposes, someone has thought about how to use them for gainfull purposes (and not kindly). In fact some of my most devious tests relied on my magic background.

I am glad to hear that Yzetadrummer. My biggest job, is to make sure that the traveling public is safe and "comfortable". All to often, the TSA forgets that. I don't, because I get my paycheck from folks like you, not a government guaranteed program.
Lots of good information. I definitely learned a lot.

I think they are going overboard now with what items you can bring on an airplane though. After what happened Sept11, if someone pulled that again, I bet almost every person onboard would put up a fight.
[quote]
On 2003-08-14 22:36, jarrod wrote:

I think they are going overboard now with what items you can bring on an airplane though. After what happened Sept.11th, if someone pulled that again, I bet almost every person onboard would put up a fight.
[/quote]

I know if I was on a plane I would definitely put up a fight. It is easier said then done. When you're 30,000 feet high with a knife to your throat things become much different.

Kind of scary to actually think about all aspects of that situation.

Chris
[quote]
On 2003-08-15 01:30, Seismic wrote:
[quote]
On 2003-08-14 22:36, jarrod wrote:

I think they are going overboard now with what items you can bring on an airplane though. After what happened Sept.11th, if someone pulled that again, I bet almost every person onboard would put up a fight.
[/quote]

I know if I was on a plane I would definitely put up a fight. It is easier said then done. When you're 30,000 feet high with a knife to your throat things become much different.

Kind of scary to actually think about all aspects of that situation.

Chris [/quote]

There's a marvellous set of threads on the Uechi-ryu karate board about this issue. http://www.uechiryu.com and hit the bulletin board option (chat rooms). Run by the head of the style for the USA, Mr. George Mattson.

One thing we have to remember is that in stress situation the chemical cocktail (adrenaline rush) can and will totally screw up your fine motor skills, so forget about hanging coins and beat the bugger to death with that lexan wand!!! ;)

I carry one when I travel. Security usually doesn't give it a second glance. I mean - it's got laser crystal tape on the ends and it's transparent! :)

Not to mention that I usually have to do 5 minutes for the TSA troops just to "prove" I'm a pro.

Ghu knows WHAT I might be able to do with them there aluminum cups after all! Or the gold plated walnut shells ( DID catch a problem search on THOSE, BTW)!

Just funnin' you Diamond Jim. I always cooperate to the fullest and do NOT dis the security types at the gate.

They get enough flack from the regular civilians!

Kind regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
[quote]
On 2003-08-09 11:30, Jim Davis wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

If you had a shimmed card, that would appear on an x-ray, and, I would add, look rather suspicious. Also any deck that has been altered in anyway, would also look different.

Again, I would just check your bag, it is insured by any domestic airline up to $2500.00. If you are traveling international, it is only $640.00, so you may wish to purchase additional insurance.
[/quote]

Yeah, but I imagine the insurance isn't going to help a lot if they've "misplaced" your bags and you have to cancel because your props are on their way to Scandinavia!

:bawl:
Have a chat with the airline about the situation. Most times "misplaced baggage" is returned within hours. I have, myself, made special arrangements to help in situations where it was going to be longer.

mstrhypno, I still have a sense of humor, just not at the airport. :bg:

Having studied two forms of martial arts, I realize that they both get thrown out the window when it comes to subdue someone in a 22 inch aisle, at 35,000 feet, with the captain going to take things in his own hands. (And believe me the pilots will now react to events like this a lot different. Remember prior to 9/11 not many deaths occured in hijacks.)

And have they gone to far? Well, if it never happens again, then I would have to say no. If it does happen again, we still need more, but how much more? Remember security was to "deter" events like 9/11.
When I went to the Reno PCAM convention I took the handchopper, there wasn't any problems at all.
I traveled from Toronto to Ottawa to present a workshop for my work. During the workshop, I do a few magic moments to illustrate my points.
I do a centavo to twoonie switch for example. The workshop went very well.

I went to the Airport in Ottawa to fly home. I had an assortment of coins in my pocket for safe keeping (around $200.00 worth – not face value, but replacement value).

Security is hectic. I was rushed to get to my flight. They took forever ripping apart my computer and wanding it. I finally rushed to the boarding area and caught my plane.

As we started to fly, I realized that I had no jingling in my pocket. I had left the coins in the tray at the security counter. I asked an attendant and she said I would have to call when we landed in Toronto.

In Toronto, I found the number. I had to call Airport security in Ottawa and report the missing coins. I called and a very efficient and authoritive voice answered. I apologized and explained that I had left some things in a tray.

He said, “Yes, sir. What did you leave?”

“Some coins,” I explained.

“Some coins’” he repeated. I could definitely hear a tinge of annoyance and possible incredulity in his voice.

At this point I am sure he thought that I was some nutbar calling because I lost fifty-three cents, so I tried to explain…

“You don’t understand. They’re magic coins!!!”

“Right. Maaaagic Coins.”
[quote]On Aug 1, 2003, Payne wrote:
Coins can cause problems as well. I always carry my Lassen gaffs with me as carry on as I don't trust the airlines enough to put them in my luggage. I am stopped everytime and searched. I was told by security that they are now making knives that can be hidden in coins.
I don't know if this is true, it's just what I was told. [/quote]

My father had a "knife and sword collectible" catalog. One of the items was a large Liberty dollar that had TWO blades hidden in it!

Here's some I found;

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=French+Sous+Coin+Knife&form=IRIBEP&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover
18 Year old thread. Got to be some sort of record.
Kizops are not any smizartor.
More than once I ended performing some magic to security airport who ask for the content of my baggage... I know for shure that will happen again.