(Close Window)
Topic: Pull my hair (But don't call me Sally...)
With all of this strongman talk going on I was reminded of an act where a car (Or other heavy object) is pulled by a performers ponytail.

As I am the owner of a most magnificent and luxurious head of hair, on that requires extensive maintenance and only the finest of shampoos and conditioners...It is time that it earned it's keep! No more freeloading on top of my head, it must seek gainful employment!

Anyone have a clue how to tie it into a loop that I can pull stuff with? I have some ideas, but if there is an existing method I would love to take a look!
Thanks!
Gwyd
Sally! Nyah, nyah, nyah!
Look what happened to mine !!! don't do it.

Ken.
That's what you get for hanging out at the Strand! Kondini, the man who used to be under locks!
Gwyd, I like it. There is a circus arial, rope spinning stunt where the performer hangs from their hair. I saw it once in a close-up, private performance.

I don't remember the details, but I didn't detect any slieghts or gaffs. The guy handling the rope was very open about the set up. It looked like the real thing.

If I remember, the tie was made with a loop of rope covered in purple velvet. The rope was about a 1/2 inch thick. It wasn't knotted, just looped on a couple times. I'm thinking it used friction to hold the hair. I'm betting a knot for tying two different size ropes would be a place to start. I have a book on "rescue knots" I refer to. I'll check that.
Don't know about any knots but I can recommend the book "Spiritual Journey of Joseph L. Greenstein: The Mighty Atom" which is a reprint of "The Mighty Atom." Actually it is a really good book for the general public as well.

Michael
There is a new escape/challenge in this. I can see it now!
[quote]
On 2011-02-16 17:20, joe yang wrote:
Gwyd, I like it. There is a circus arial, rope spinning stunt where the performer hangs from their hair. I saw it once in a close-up, private performance.
I don't remember the details, but I didn't detect any slieghts or gaffs. The guy handling the rope was very open about the set up. It looked like the real thing.
[/quote]

Here is one gal...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0GWwqfefLY
I have no definitive knowledge, but I would assume that a cloth or metal loop is secured into the base of the braid (similar to a weave maybe?) that attaches to the object, rather than attaching the hair directly.

Great idea, btw; looking forward to seeing it!
Ravi The Scorpion Mystic does this in NYC. He might be able to help you out.

However he doesn't pull objects, he gets lifted by it, and I'm pretty sure he is only using his hair, or so he claims. From seeing it in person, I'm going to believe him.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Feb 17, 2011 08:19PM)
There is no Gaff to Hair Hang, unless technique is considered a Gaff..I worked a few shows w/ Hair-Hang Divas..altho I do not know the procedure they use to braid, they do wet the hair and weave in a hook w/ a swivel...