(Close Window)
Topic: Is this possible or a joke?
http://www.maniacworld.com/impressive-water-trick.html
If you can do that one...you truly can do MAGIC !!!
Thanks for link. Fun to watch!
If we take in count the lot of physics laws that are been broken in that video. I don't think it can be possible, so there must be a good job on the video editing. Anyway, as Godzilla said, it was fun to watch!

Thank you!
Very good joke, and well made.

...I can only imagine how many houses are much cleaner because of this video.
[quote]
On 2011-02-21 14:32, Vick wrote:
http://www.maniacworld.com/impressive-water-trick.html
[/quote]
I believe it can be done with NLP (Non Liquid Physics)
When I was young, whenever my father and I would go to a restaurant and get bad service he would leave a cup of water upside down like that with 3 pennies in it. It might have been a jerk move, but there have definitely been times when I wish I had a card myself. I HATE bad service.
If you're going to do something like that, you should put in a good tip. Make them want to make the mess.
That was cool. I am thinking of a method now. I can think of one that is practical, but not doing the splash at the end. I will work on it. Nice link and effect. Thanks!

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 9:22am
-------------------------------------
You could have a another smaller glass inside like an insert with a hole in the bottom (top when its upside down) and when you pull the other cup off the excess water would spill out a bit and drip down the sides?
[quote]
On 2011-06-19 01:19, hackmonkey wrote:
That was cool. I am thinking of a method now. I can think of one that is practical, but not doing the splash at the end. I will work on it. Nice link and effect. Thanks!

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 9:22am
-------------------------------------
You could have a another smaller glass inside like an insert with a hole in the bottom (top when its upside down) and when you pull the other cup off the excess water would spill out a bit and drip down the sides?
[/quote]
Great clip! It reminds me of a lot of what we see nowadays on TV with the magician doing an actual (explainable) effect and then they add camera trickery at the end to add the 'non-explainable' part. David Blaine, Criss Angel, and Derren Brown do this :)
Wow! A guy at work actually told me about this this morning. I told him no way could it be done. Not so sure now. It looks real!
[quote]
On 2011-04-18 09:49, P.Synenberg wrote:
When I was young, whenever my father and I would go to a restaurant and get bad service he would leave a cup of water upside down like that with 3 pennies in it. It might have been a jerk move, but there have definitely been times when I wish I had a card myself. I HATE bad service.
[/quote]
Wow, that would certainly be a sign to waiter!
As much as I had hoped there was some type of unknown element/chemical involved to make this possible I assumed it to be C.G.I. If you watch it in high def slow motion you will know the answer to if it's fake or not.
I agree, no question that it is fake.
A second glass wouldn't work as the light refracting through glass (plastic, etc.) and water would mean the glass will be clearly seen.
Fake; He has a youtube channel with some other things as well. He is student or something in "training"
with special effects.
That would be impressive to see live...
Griffindance, depends on the lighting, the material of the insert and how thin it was maybe?

I agree it's CGI but want to try recreate a similar effect.

One idea I had was a disc with a thin skirt of cling film like plastic, the water tension might keep it steady till you tapped it?
You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a0peGqPNYs
Nice how the cone of water continues to spin and swirl. Great video.
What would had been better is to put a goldfish in the water.
This looks really good. He knows how to sell the fakery I think. If I were a bit younger I would have started practicing.
I don't think it can be done either.....

So, Vick, what do YOU think?
It can't be done. If you slow it down, you can see the editing. Cool to watch none the less.
Great video, but, fake.
I've just noticed that when he 'touches' the water, he doesn't!
In Quantum Physics, you CAN actually suspend water molecules in a temporary form using a high energy electromagnetic field. This phenomenon has been observed around electromagnetic fields...of course I'm pulling all this out of my butt. Great fake! But it's something to think about and creat a cool effect that is similar.
I've also just noticed that when he lifts up the glass it is in fact INFRONT of the aleady formed water. I still love this clip, I WANT to believe it.
[quote]
On 2012-05-19 17:11, jugglestruck wrote:
I've also just noticed that when he lifts up the glass it is in fact INFRONT of the aleady formed water. I still love this clip, I WANT to believe it.
[/quote]

The glass isn't full to the "bottom" either and the water left behind is the shape of the bottom of the glass.
I'd still like to know how he got the water to look like it did.
The use of Sony Vega, using the floating water video effect. Clever though.
Very intertesting indeed.
[quote]
On 2012-05-26 18:15, thementalist814 wrote:
The use of Sony Vega, using the floating water video effect. Clever though.
[/quote]

Thanks for that!
I'd think you could do it using clear jello (does plain gelatin come in clear?).

The trick would be switching out the water for the jello. (No problem in the video, because it's a cut rather than a continuous shot).
How funny. I wonder how many people have actually tried this over and over again.
[quote]
On 2012-07-29 09:40, danhughes wrote:

The trick would be switching out the water for the jello.
[/quote]

Exactly.
Nice video editing skills! You can probably do that in Adobe After Effects in a few days, from what I have seen on YouTube so far...

There is no way to make water remain in that position, not even by using jello. It defies the laws of physics.
Clever use of 3D and object tracker.
Let's face it though, it's a nicely put together gag :)
This is old hat and has nothing to do with computer editing skills or "non-liquid physics"...whatever THAT is. The mis-direction is a little primitive on this video's presentation but, essentially, the correct principles have been observed and the correct moves have been made. It is pretty much the same as we did as 5th formers at Roedean College in England in the 1960s. Lots of people found it boring and so it never really caught on...especially when television arrived and dominated.
Just good editing. and bad misdirectuon
The key to knowing it is fake is when he tells you to keep practicing because it is hard. He is messing with us and hoping we make a mess.
This works best with a 30 gallon garbage can over a priceless Persian rug.
No, this actually works.
I got it to work about the 20th try, I put a barricade around the glass with towels, the secret is in the twist.
You have to do it just like you were dropping out a jello mould but faster, and paradoxically, with a smaller motion of the wrist. (smaller amount of turn)

My Mom worked as a waitres many many years ago, and used to get her tip in an upside down glass from time to time.
She could slide the glass off the table and on to her tray spilling a very small amount of water and turn it back over.
Or, she would just pick up the glass spilling water all over the laps of the jokers.
Being a jerk can work both ways.

And no, I didn't really get the water to stand up by itself. Raise your hand if you believed me for just a second.
Hahaha. What I love most about this video (and I'm not being patronizing here) is that even with a fake video all the best magical minds are clicking over into overdrive to try and figure out a way this can be done live. And no doubt someone will come up with something eventually as you guys always do.
It's called slush powder :)
FFFake!
A fake, a good fake...or we have to revisit the physic's law of nature and another world will emerge !!!
I just saw this new shot glass. It could be useful!

Ever spinning shot glass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB6yHSIn4SE
Sorry for the mom who's child saw this video,or uhm...sorry for the child who saw this video.:D
Some people who I have shown this video to have bought it completely - others not so...
It was probably made using magnetic water, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JRXt3QSh0c
I doubt it but nice video!
[quote]On Nov 28, 2011, hackmonkey wrote:
Griffindance, depends on the lighting, the material of the insert and how thin it was maybe?

I agree it's CGI but want to try recreate a similar effect.

One idea I had was a disc with a thin skirt of cling film like plastic, the water tension might keep it steady till you tapped it? [/quote]
I don't think that would work (worth a try though), but maybe with something kind of like slush powder? It would have to not change the water color, but that is not to outlandish to exist.
[quote]On Apr 7, 2013, jugglestruck wrote:
It's called slush powder :) [/quote]
slush powder frosts up the water, plus he could not have taped it at the end like he did. It's actually called video editing.
I feel that the verdict of video editing was reached well before the slush powder comment. My slush powder comment was made, slightly tongue in cheek, in reference to the question of how could this actually be done in real life. Apologies if this comes across as pedantic...
They are using magnetized water. It is sooo obvious.

[youtube]6Y2cYMBM3e0[/youtube]
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" LoL! Good one ;-)
Trolololol
Magnetized Water. I am not kidding:

[youtube]8JRXt3QSh0c[/youtube]
Jello... :ohyes:
[quote]On Sep 1, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Jello... :ohyes: [/quote]

:) Nope.
[quote]On Sep 1, 2014, Pop Haydn wrote:
[quote]On Sep 1, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Jello... :ohyes: [/quote]

:) Nope. [/quote]

Not the magnetised water... That's been taught in science classes for ages.

I meant how to do the OP original video for real... ;)
If you had a premade cup of clear gelatin, then poured a identical glass of water, made a switch, then did it you could give a pretty good illusion.
I have a sneaky feeling gelatine always makes for a cloudy gel.
Jello is pretty clear other than the coloring.
I've tried making clear gel using agar agar which always comes out cloudy. It would be interesting to try with gelatine but being vegetarian...
It's all for the name of magic.
I'd need more convincing than that :)
What did a horse's hooves ever do for you
I haven't eaten meat for 30 years and as there are so many alternatives, Agar agar being one of them, I would be loath to start using gelatine just for the sake of a magical experiment...
I believe gelatin would be cloudy & not clear. Gelatin works great in a white foam cup for me.
[quote]On Apr 18, 2011, P.Synenberg wrote:
When I was young, whenever my father and I would go to a restaurant and get bad service he would leave a cup of water upside down like that with 3 pennies in it. It might have been a jerk move, but there have definitely been times when I wish I had a card myself. I HATE bad service. [/quote]

I saw someone do this once in a restaurant. The turned two glasses over with a few coins in each. The manager approached the table to ask them to leave. The waitress said "oh, I don't mind cleaning it up!" and proceeded to lift up the cups with the customers still sitting at the table, totally soaking them. The got exactly what they deserved. It was funnier than hell.
I believe this is done with negative water. The trick is to place a positive magnet under the table to hold the water in place.
Message: Posted by: Some_Magical_Idiot (Jul 3, 2017 02:13PM)
So this begs the question is this considered magic?