(Close Window)
Topic: Follow Up Question: Producing a Rabbit
So, follow up question to my last one:

For those of you who uses a rabbit, what do you use to produce the rabbit?

What have you found that works well, and is safe for the rabbit?

Thanks!

RevJohn
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Feb 27, 2011 10:34AM)
Both rabbit productions that I have are Test Tube Bunny & Circus Wagon. My rabbit is very comfortable with both. Sometimes she doesn't want to leave the Test Tube (only in practice) but she is a true professional when she is on stage.

Mark
I highly recommend a drawer box. First, it fools (adults even) which I never imagined. You can leave it cracked open an inch, so there's plenty of air, and you can peak on your buddy during the show.
I use a pet presto that was produced by Barry Mitchell. I don't think he makes them any more. One was for sale on ebay last week cheap. I also have an Abbotts production box and a cage production ala lady to lion which is an awesome production. All are audience surround proof. After doing hundreds of birthday parties I use only angle proof easy set up equipment and tricks.
I also use the Circus wagon. You can keep the rabbit in it during the show (NOT LOADED) and Load it moments before you do the production. I like the circus wagon but I am looking to change it up to something different as it will not fit the theme of an upcoming show that I am putting together. I am thinking of going with either the draw box or a duck bucket, not sure wich yet.
I use this balloon to box: http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auction/APViewItem.asp?ID=17429

I purchased a used one on *bay three years ago and have been lucky enough to find two others as backups since. I can't imagine using anything else. The bunny has lots of room and the air holes on the bottom are plentiful and large.

If you can find one buy it, it's either Milson Worth or Chalet (I've seen them advertised as both)
The Presto Production Box coachc mentions is among my favorite, as are the Wolf Funhouse and Happy Day (the spring present from birthday card to box production . . . I think this one's on Hank Lee's site).
The Presto Production Box coachc mentions is among my favorite, as are the Wolf Funhouse and Happy Day (the spring present from birthday card to box production . . . I think this one's on Hank Lee's site).
I've used a bunch. My favorite is Abbott's Elusive Bunny Box.
Abbott's looks very nice! Might have to check that out.

Thank you all for your insights, and suggestions. Would still love to hear more!

John
Some more options for you:

[url=http://www.fairchildmagic.com/fairchild_magic_048.htm]--> Livestock Magic page on the Fairchild Magic website[/url]

- Donald
3D Bunny Box
Donald,

Thanks! Have you had good luck with this company and quality?

This leads to another question...

How does the balloon breaking on some of these productions affect the bunny... granted, the screaming kids might be more of a concern, but just wondering.

John
John -

I don't perform livestock magic.

I haven't ordered from [url=http://www.fairchildmagic.com/fairchild_magic_002.htm]Fairchild Magic[/url] yet, but his website is one of my favorites. There are several items I want to get from him in the next while. Also, I've heard good things about his products.

- Donald
I have Great Pumpkin from Fairchild Magic and I love it! It is welled made, super easy, and gets a great reaction!
I have Test Tube Bunny, and, while I don't use livestock, I can see how easy it would be to do.
This is the way I do it mostly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ-v0jTWf9A
[quote]
On 2011-02-28 11:46, RevJohn wrote:
Donald,

Thanks! Have you had good luck with this company and quality?

John
[/quote]

John, I can vouch for Fairchild Magic. Joe Eddy is a fabtastic builder, and he will stand behind his products.

Regan
I have been using Barry Mitchell's Pet Presto for years and feel that it is the only type of livestock production item that my rabbit is comfortable in. With the exception of an item I purchased here at the Café a few months ago which works very similarly to the PP and also holds my rabbit quite comfortably.

On the other hand, I purchased a Duck Bucket intending to use it as in alternate for producing my rabbit but found that it just seemed too small. My rabbit is approximately 6 lbs and everyone tells me to use the Duck Bucket but I believe she would be way to uncomfortable in it. I have also found that a lot of the time when an advertisement for a livestock production item states that it can hold a very large rabbit...mine won't fit in it. I didn't think that a 6 lb. rabbit was that large...perhaps I am wrong.

Anyways, I like the Pet Presto...though I haven't seen them around lately.

Wolly
Wolly, The rabbit that I've used for over 150 shows also weighs at least 6 pounds. Of course when I first got her I was told that she would not get very big because she was some type of a dwarf rabbit. But she got too big for the circus wagon I had at the time so I had to make my own circus wagon not shown in my video.
So I say to anyone purchasing a bunny. They just might outgrow the prop you use to produce them.
My new bunny, shown in my video is a Netherland Dwarf and I saw her parents and her Grand-parents.
Thanks Wizardpa,

Your Netherland Dwarf in your video is a lot smaller than my bunny. Yes, I was also told my "Polish" bunny was a dwarf and would not get very big...but she did outgrow the props as you mentioned. My bunny is very near "retirement" and will need to be replaced soon. I will have to look into the Netherland Dwarf breed. I am looking for the smallest breed that I can find.

Thanks again for the tip,
Wolly
Found a local breeder in a very near by town, so will be talking to them as my research continues!

Thanks!

RevJohn
A good, reputable breeder is a huge plus! Get a book on dwarf bunnies too if you can. It helps to learn all you can about them before you actually bring one home. You also may learn some signs that might save you from getting a "so-called" dwarf that turns out to be huge.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will pick up a book for sure! I have two good leads here in the area. So I will check both of them out!

John
Were can one view a Pet Presto? Can't find any info on line. Is it an older prop?
That would be "where".
I bought my Pet Presto several years ago. Perhaps Barry Mitchell is not making them anymore though I thought I saw something similar online somewhere a couple of weeks ago. I will have to check.

Coachc mentioned in his post above that he has seen a Pet Presto on eBay recently.
The bunny you see in my video is only 6 weeks old. She will get bigger. But, I have seen her parents and grand-parents.
I'm curious, wbzwolinski, or anyone else, how do you know a bunny is close to retirement age?
From what I have found/heard... Barry Mitchell used to make it, but is not longer.

Looking for one to purchase myself.

John
Abbotts has a great livestock production bag. I use it and my top hat to perform a seldom seen but classic illusion of magic.
Well wizardpa, I'm honestly not sure. Mine is 16 years old now and I was told when I got her that they typically have a lifespan of 10-15 years...so, I figure she's got to be close, one way or the other. That, and the fact that she's asking about her pension plan.

Wolly
http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=TA2329&keyword=BUNNY%20BOX

Nice Load Space
Nice Plot ( Drawing the rabbit )
Can Be customized
Nice Size
Nice Air Holes
Descent Price

From years of using the "Wagon" Im trying this right now and works VERY VERY WELL!!!!
-H
The response I get from the production of a real rabbit is so great that I worried about what I would do if something happened to my 3+ year old bunny. That is why I got my new bunny. Now I have a lot of new ideas since I got my Netherland Dwarf. Even full grown she will be half the size of my 3 year old bunny.
I'm almost finished building almost duplicate props of what I used to produce my bunny. Now I can have my 10 year old Grand-daughter/assistant do a Do as I Do routine. Of course she'll produce the smaller bunny and I the larger one. Also I can produce my small bunny, from a production box and place her into my rabbit wringer and wring out a large flat rabbit. Place that into my circus wagon and presto, my baby rabbit has now grown into an adult. I could call my rabbit wringer a time machine.
Hansel,

That bunny box looks great.

John
Yep! And works very well!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone have a photo of Barry Mitchell's Production as mentioned earlier in this thread?

Would like to know that I am looking the correct item, and I have no idea what this even looked like.

Thanks!

RevJohn
Hey Revjohn,
I've got the Abbott's SUpreme bunny vanish, the one with the cloth that pops off, Bunny Bucket or Duck bucket, Test Tube bunny, Chalet Blammo box, Chalet Bunny Wringer.
I've got the Chalet Blammo box for vanishing a Rabbit in the Hat puppet and the appearance of my Big White Bunny, he is at least 3-4 lbs. I just got 2 beautiful brother & sister, Netherland Dwarf Black bunnies. I liked that idea of producing one in a test Tube then vanishing the bunny and making him appear in a different box all the way across the stage also. I wanted a way to produce a bunny but I really liked the idea of using the Rabbit in hat puppet, telling the kids he is not real and that he can't do magic but he actually does end up doing magic and then vanishing and producing the big white bunny. I had 2 Black bunnies but they weren't Netherland Dwarf bunnies and wouldn't fit in hardly any of the props I wanted to use them for, so I found them a new home and also found a great breeder specializing in nothing but Netherland Dwarf bunnies. I told her I wasn't interested in breeding them and didn't need a pedigree so got them for $20 apiece, brother and sister. I've also got her looking out for me for an all white with blue eyes...
I also found a great pdf booklet online about making cages from all wire plus the stand is made from PVC pipe, really easy to do.
Bill