(Close Window)
Topic: The Witch of Glastonbury
Hey Guys & Gals,

I have performed Peter Marucci's Witch of Glastonbury for a long time and always enjoyed the responses I received. After contacting him, he gave me permission to sell sets of the cards along with his routine. I made some additions of my own.

I added my own routine and there is one from Christopher Gould, who you may know from Alchemy Moon and his work with Outlaw. The cards are all handmade, cut and aged, as is the envelope they come in. The cards are printed in a way to allow you to show the face of all three cards before you begin, which is a nice subtlety added by Chris. The instructions are in a 20 page 8 ½ X 11 full color, professionally printed saddle stitched booklet.

I tried to keep the price very low while still providing a quality handmade product for the bizarrists out there. You can get more information, watch a video and purchase them from my website here: http://www.paulprater.com/paulprater2.22_015.11

Thanks
Paul Prater
Paul:

Do you know if he has fixed the instructions?
There was an incorrect step in them when he first released them in his notes.
It is a really nice routine.

Tony
Tony,

Frankly, I am not sure. I did rewrite and explain in detail how to perform the routine in the instructions and have a video showing the performance. Also, I passed all of this by Peter a few months ago. Of course, I am also always available for help as well.

I would be more than happy to discuss with you in a PM or email if you would like.
Thanks Paul, I just ordered a set - I couldn't resist with a price that low. I'll post a review soon.
Paul:

Thank you for taking care of that small issue, it is a wonderful performance piece that Peter assembled.

Tony
Incredible props, equally impressive routine. Strong and clean, YOu have certainly done yourself and Peter Marucci proud!

Two eager thumbs up on this one. Well done Paul.

KOtah
It seems one could add some extra convincers in the handling, but the cards and routine look lovely...
Postage was very steep to send to Ontario Canada(more than half of the cost of the effect) but considering how fair the price of the effect itself is, I could not resist. Looking forward to this.
Ha,I paid 15,- bucks for shipping to germany... :)
Hey all,

Thaks for the support so far.

Just to clarify, the issue Tony raised was addressed. No problems.

As to shipping, my standard shipping is via priority mail flat rate envelope. USPS shows shipping to be $11.35 to Canada. I can do first class international for $8.44 to Canada. These are actual costs, nothing added. If anyone wants to do something special in regard to shipping, please just email me at paul@paulprater.com. I can and will do whatever you like to lower the cost of shipping. I hate it too.

Lars, actually when I print your label, I will be giving you a refund of a couple dollars. $13.25 is actual shipping via priority mail. I do this with anyone. I don't charge packaging, handling, or other such nonsense.
Pay pal charged $15 For shipping. No worries though, keep the extra money. The effect looks great and worth 40 bucks for sure. I think you are under charging for the effect. I just want to make sure you are getting the extra cash and not the post office.
Nice work. Just placed my order as well.
I ordered mine.
I was lucky enough to see an early version of this effect, and Paul has quite clearly put a lot of care and hard work into this. This is an excellent routine with some great aged cards (with a different method than you would expect making this easy to perform) and a great story to accompany it. All that Paul releases is of the highest quality and this, I predict, will be a massive success!
Congratulations Paul, exacting quality is a given with your work, hope this is but the first of many more to come!
Visiting the West this year...?
Paul, congratulations on this great work!
Guys,

I can't thank you all enough for all of the kind words and support that you have shown me.

I have a few quick updates. All orders placed as of 7:00 this morning are in the mail today. All of my overseas customers received a partial refund for the overage on shipping. Sorry you paid more. In that regard I believe that I have fixed that issue. PayPal's shipping options when creating buttons for overseas sales is a bit clunky. However, if there any future issues, email or PM me.

Also, if you have been thinking about purchasing this and want it immediately, please do so now. I have five sets remaining. After that I will have to make new sets and have more instructions printed. I plan on doing this ASAP, but given my schedule ASAP may not be until next weekend.

Thanks again!

Paul
Hi all,

I would just like add my endorsement to all that has been said. I received my copy of "The Witch of Glastonbury" yesterday (Tuesday) and am delighted at the detailed quality of the product. Three complete routines, nicely presented and easy to work.

At the price, you can't miss!

Highly recommended!

Leslie
I got my set late last week, played with it, and have already performed it a few times.

It's excellent stuff!

My full endorsement!
Well, this sucks to have to post up. I shipped all of the initial orders on March 1. I took them all to the post office and our local brach did not bother to scan any of them in, therefore, there is no tracking information. Obviously, some people have received them because they have stated so here. Part of the delay is that I charged shipping via media mail domestically, since I was shipping a book, to try to save shipping costs for the customer. I shouldn't have done that and won't make that mistake again. There are a few that show they arrived in the destination city yesterday, so for a few of you, they should be there in the next few days.

For those of you who have not received your cards, I sincerely apologize. Unfortunantly, since they did not scan in my numbers, I have no way of knowing which arrived and which did not. Even more frustrating, some people in the same state received them while others have not. If you have not received the cards, please review the tracking information and if there is nothing and if you haven't received them, please contact me and I will get another set to you and I will ship via priority. Obviously, this is not the scenario that I wished for and it is extremely frustrating. While I would prefer not to post this here, I want to be open and transparent with everyone. I am very sorry I may have started off on the wrong foot, but be assured, I will make everything right.

I appreciate your patience.
Paul, appreciate the update. Hopefully the postal service will come through by the end of next week. I'll keep an eye out for it and let you know.
Thanks
I ordered books from Paul, right after ordering the Witch set. I received the books 2 days later. As Paul states the cards were not scanned in sooo the USPS has no record of them. I'm waiting and hope they show up in the next few days. Unfortunately the USPS is not always predicable or reliable in making prompt deliveries.

Paul- keeping fingers crossed here for the cards.

Changing a bit I have spent time with Paul's books "Malificium" and "Medicine Show Magic"- all I can say is Wow- great job ; lots of good ideas in both. For those of you here in the "spooky" part of the Café, "Malificium" very much follows ideas and thoughts that were presented by our beloved Curator in his "Capricornian Tales" and "hauntiques" there are also hints from Froughtan in "Dark Waltz". I am very impressed and am on my third reading now. Please consider purchasing Paul's books- not just for his effects but for his thinking and tips. As I said to him in email- I just wish I lived closer so I could see him work live and pick his fertile brain. Thanks Paul for your courtesy and honesty. --- John
Ah yes media mail. I was wondering where mine were at. That explains it. Not a problem, I am patient. I'll look for it sometime this coming week - media mail can take a while longer.
Mine showed up, Media Mail and all. They are very cool and well made. Please add me to your list of received orders and happy customers.
Thanx for the info Paul. Being in Canada, these may take quite a while to get here. No worries though! I do appreciate the fact that you wanted to save us as much in shipping as you could.
All,

Here is a perfect example of what a poor job our post office did. Necroloid's was actually scanned in and shipped on March 1. I also sent a few shipements to the UK on the same date, which have already arrived. All international shipments were shipped priority.

Chad, USPS shows your arrived in NC on Friday so you should have it within a day or two. Some people in Cali got theres in 4 days. In checking all orders, I saw the post office scanned in one for yesterday for being processed in Little Rock. I dropped it off on the first.

Our firm has had problems frequently with the downtown post office. Not only will I not be using media mail, I will not be dropping anything off downtown. Again, I thank you for the support and apologize for this ridiculous situation.
Hi Paul You are to hard on your postal system. It can take up to 3 weeks for a package to pass custums up here. I think there is a good chance it might show monaday. Either way, I am more than confident it will show.
Andre
Happy to report that the tracking info on my set has at last been updated and it appears to be on the way..Thanks for keeping us all informed Paul..
Hey, I'm an Outlaw kinda guy - I know all about being patient and waiting on good things to come. ;)
Just got mine today! Thanks Paul
Received in today's mail. All is well.
Just got mine as well. Looking forward to reading through it!
After playing with this for a while I must say that I am even more impressed. The instructions are simple and the stories are great for getting the creative juices flowing and for helping you come up with your own unique versions. The cards themselves are very nicely done (I keep smelling them, as they smell old and mysterious...) and the design of the cards are a nice touch - both the artwork and the way they are made to help with the "moves."

Might I add that the video demo was great for showing the handling - I liked being able to read the instructions, then watch the video again to have all the "moves" connect instantly.

Also, a shout out to Mr. Peter Marucci for the original routine and for giving his permission for Paul to go forward with this.

Excellent job all around.

Chad
I received this yesterday! What a great product.
Even the production value and design of the instructions are top notch.
The cards are really well made and quite mysterious looking.

I am very impressed. A big congrats to all involved.
This is a story routine with tarot cards that you will use.

Bravo!
Paul,
Congratulations on the GREAT job you've done of The Witch of Glastonbury.All the kind words here on this forum are well-deserved.
Peter
Thanks again to everyone for the positive words and patience.
Hi, I also recieved the package 2 days ago! And its awesome! You guys did a really great job! It is very easy to do, but it hits hard!
Greetings Everyone...

I too received my set...and I'm very impressed with the idea of the presentation and equally impressed with the instruction booklet, storyline, and the cards. At the risk of offending some of the great card workers out there...I'm one of those that loath card tricks. I've always felt that there is only one card trick...the spectator selects a card...the magician reveals what card they selected.

The variance comes into play by way of the thousands of ways the selected card can be revealed. So, I almost passed on The Witch of Glastonbury...until I read the posts...about the story and the Tarot cards involved. As it turned out, albeit, cards are used as the star props of the effect...it is really the story and the presentation of the cards that are the real effect.

My congrats to all involved...so even if you don't like card tricks...you might want to treat yourself on this particular item...especially if you do anything with Tarot cards or related storylines.

Continued Success...
This is a well-received fun and easy effect. More importantly Paul is a standup guy with impeccable customer support. Highly recommend! He has some very good books as well…………
Hi all,
Like Dr. Dan, I'm no fan of card tricks; and I conceived of the witch because of that.
Paul has done a wonderful job on the witch and I am happy to read so many positive responses.
I am really enjoying this effect.
It is fun to perform and does not feel like a card trick at all.
The wife found it quite creepy and had no idea how it was accomplished.

I find myself picking up the cards and going through the moves for my own entertainment.
Thanks again Peter for coming up with this brilliant piece and to Paul for creating this lovely set.
So Peter,

Can I just ask - is this a "Halloween" version of good old Color Monte?

I hope so.

If it is, I'm buying one :)
I'll let Peter or Paul confirm the above question (CM), but I believe that's the case. I just know it goes over well with my audiences, and I enjoy performing it. Kudos to Peter and Paul!
I will answer for him. Basically, yes, only much better. It can be done with no sleight of hand.

Here is a demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o1fhR2NbiQ

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks Paul,

That sounds great.

Can I use the same moves as Color Monte if I wish?

As I do CM all the time, it would be much easier to learn, won't it? :)
James,

Yes, if you can do CM, then this will be dead simple. Heck it is for anyone!
I am not a card man but CM is my favourite packet effect, I like this bizarre twist on it.
CM was one of the first effects I ever purchased after seeing a magician perform it at a magic shop in the Silver Dollar City amusement park in Branson, Missouri. I was just a kid and it proved a little too complicated for an impatient child to learn, but watching it performed sparked in me a lifelong interest in magic. I've kept it all these years and pulled it out of the closet after seeing this thread. After spending a few minutes working with it, it's very amusing to look back and remember how difficult I found it all to be. I'll have to pick up The Witch of Glastonbury after watching the video and again experiencing that rush of delight at the revelation that first drew me to magic all those years ago. Nice work, Paul.
There seems to be some problem with the link: http://www.paulprater.com/paulprater2.22_015.11

Both Internet Explorer and Chrome display the html text, rather than the actual frame that the text generates.
W.O.G is the opening effect in my halloween show this year. I love performing it.
W.O.G is the opening effect in my halloween show this year. I love performing it.
This is a great effect... practically self-working and very convincing. A must for Halloween shows!
Bill,

I have rebuilt my website a couple of times since that initial post.

Here you go: http://paulprater.com/witchofglastonbu.html

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
I received my Witch of Glastonbury earlier this week, but work forced me to look at it longingly on my shelf until this evening when I finally had a chance to discover all the dark delights it holds. As others have said, the cards do a lot of the work for you, which is always a nice treat, and the design is not only well considered and well executed but an ingenious part of the effect in its own right.

It's also worth mentioning that the instructions were far and away the most professionally produced of any I've ever laid eyes on; a glossy, fully illustrated, colorful, and more importantly, easily readable manual complete with presentations. Admittedly the glossiness of the manual has no bearing on the impact of the effect to the spectator, but it's certainly a nice indicator of a level of perfectionism that I think most people enjoy seeing in a merchant.

You've earned a very satisfied customer, Paul!

Thanks,
Michael
Very late to the party here, but let me add my voice to the chorus of folk who love this effect. For anyone starting out in the bizarre, you could to a lot worse than starting right here. It has the perfect intermingling of mystery and story-telling into a beguiling whole. The price is reasonable, the quality of the props is excellent, and the teaching and story-telling outlined in the included booklet are superb. In fact, I love this effect so much that I wish someone would make an even more deluxe version of it. The cards supplied are handsome and more than functional, but I would love to have a version with hand-aged and weathered cards that looked and felt genuinely antique. Perhaps some day Mr. Prater will offer the community something along these lines. In the interim, thank you for creating such a marvelous effect.
[quote]On Jul 16, 2020, balzar wrote:
Very late to the party here, but let me add my voice to the chorus of folk who love this effect. For anyone starting out in the bizarre, you could to a lot worse than starting right here. It has the perfect intermingling of mystery and story-telling into a beguiling whole. The price is reasonable, the quality of the props is excellent, and the teaching and story-telling outlined in the included booklet are superb. In fact, I love this effect so much that I wish someone would make an even more deluxe version of it. The cards supplied are handsome and more than functional, but I would love to have a version with hand-aged and weathered cards that looked and felt genuinely antique. Perhaps some day Mr. Prater will offer the community something along these lines. In the interim, thank you for creating such a marvelous effect. [/quote]

There definitely was a deluxe version available. I have the standard and absolutely love it but I can recall drooling over the deluxe version too. I’ll rack my brains and let you know when it comes back to me Balzac.
Balzar: Uhhmmm...The last paragraph of the description on Paul's site references an Elite Set that is only available by special order. I don't own it, but there are pictures of it if you go through the slideshow. Perhaps this is something closer to what you seem to be looking for. Maybe you should try contacting him about it.
Thank you to both Bogbadger and GReed3649. I had not bought the effect from the Paul Prater site, and I did not know that there was a deluxe version available.
I appreciate you both bringing it to my attention.
I'm thinking of getting this, but I've got one concern -- some of the adverts for it say that the cards are not necessarily like those in the demo, and at least one reviewer complains that they look like they've been drawn on computer rather than looking like genuine old cards, so are not very convincing. Can I ask those who've already bought this what the quality of the cards is like?
[quote]On Oct 1, 2021, jimlad1066 wrote:
I'm thinking of getting this, but I've got one concern -- some of the adverts for it say that the cards are not necessarily like those in the demo, and at least one reviewer complains that they look like they've been drawn on computer rather than looking like genuine old cards, so are not very convincing. Can I ask those who've already bought this what the quality of the cards is like? [/quote]

Having seen youtube demo ,there is a version by F PauL Wilson called Gypsy Monte which uses standard Tarot cards also and is basically same effect with a differnt story,the moves are simpler also.