(Close Window)
Topic: Homedepot...
Home depot has great cases and boxes for my close-up props..and they are pretty attractive cases as well!
Great idea. I get my AV cases there. MUCH less expensive than getting custom jobs.
Good idea. I will have to check there. I'm in need of some larger prop cases. Thanks for the tip. Rob
For those who twist balloons, Home Depot also has these fabulous, durable tool caddies with a gazillion pockets. You simply slip the caddy over a bucket. They are great for storing specialty balloons, and you can put your apron in the bucket for transportation. They're also cheap -- under $15.
I need to take a trip to home depot thanks for the great idea.
Nope. Nothing at Home Depot. Stay away.
I have bought two of their tool boxes for $20 each that look like steel. I use them as prop cases and they are wonderful! I set it right on my table and work out of it.
Clowneybeth I use one of those things that hang off the back of a door to put shoes in for my Balloons. I have made a stand for it to hook to and it works well. each pouch can easily hold a full bag (100 balloons)
Harbor Freight has some great cases
I use the cases from Harbor Freight. I had some graphics printed on PVC plastic and it attaches to the front via magnetic strips. The whole thing sits on top of an aluminum tray jack that I bought from a restaurant supply store for 25 bucks.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad31/aaronsmithmagic/CaseTrayJack.jpg
[quote]
On 2011-04-08 15:57, Aaron Smith Magic wrote:
I use the cases from Harbor Freight. I had some graphics printed on PVC plastic and it attaches to the front via magnetic strips. The whole thing sits on top of an aluminum tray jack that I bought from a restaurant supply store for 25 bucks.

[/quote]

That looks very nice! Great idea.
Message: Posted by: Aaron Smith Magic (Apr 12, 2011 11:19PM)
Thank you Eric.. :)
I am actually building a "shadow box" illusion based on Andrew Mayne's Specter Cabinet plans. All out of materials from Home Depot and for under $75!

I don't use a case or bag ON stage, so I don't worry too much about what they look like.

However, since I am building a new illusion show, I might build a couple of crates as set decoration that can then double as storage for the illusions once broken down for transport. My son is great in a workshop, so I might have him build me a couple of vintage looking ATA cases, complete with stenciled lettering on the sides.
Home depot has a rolling toolbox that opens on top with compartments as well as a large section. Add a top board and it is a great travel case. About $50
[quote]
On 2011-04-22 08:59, dandydimartino wrote:
Home depot has a rolling toolbox that opens on top with compartments as well as a large section. Add a top board and it is a great travel case. About $50
[/quote]

I believe I saw on another thread that this was a Stanley rolling case.
I saw a construction guy with one of these pencil pulls clipped to his shirt lapel. Been meaning to go to Home Depot to see how quick it retracts.

http://www.pencilpull.com/product.html
[quote]

[/quote]

Just curious how that "World Class Entertainer" on your sign is working out for you. I can't help thinking that if I really were world class I wouldn't have to announce it to everyone.
Is that for a street act or paid gigs?
[quote]
On 2011-05-01 16:19, The Cardfather wrote:
I saw a construction guy with one of these pencil pulls clipped to his shirt lapel. Been meaning to go to Home Depot to see how quick it retracts.
[/quote]

Ok, so I checked it out... the thing retracts rather slowly. It sells at Lowe's with a carpenter's pencil. I tried it with and without the pencil, and the pull just seems rather weak. However, I can see using the attaching piece of rubber in conjuntion with another pull. These can be purchased independently at the website (when you include S&H doubt you save any money from just purchasing the pull at Lowe's.
[quote]
On 2011-05-06 00:28, videoman wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Just curious how that "World Class Entertainer" on your sign is working out for you. I can't help thinking that if I really were world class I wouldn't have to announce it to everyone.
Is that for a street act or paid gigs?
[/quote]

I could actually care less what you think about my signage. You do NOT pay my bills, my clients do. My post was intended to help [i]professional[/i] magicians, not armchair quarterbacks like yourself.
My Home Depot no longer has anything except the aluminum briefcase. For the longest it also had them in black and red. Is that still true at any of their other stores?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2011-05-18 20:00, Bob Sanders wrote:
My Home Depot no longer has anything except the aluminum briefcase. For the longest it also had them in black and red. Is that still true at any of their other stores?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[/quote]

Bob,

Haven't been to the Depot in a while...but you might want to look on their website. Quite often you can find things that might not have sold well in your region, but are still available other places. Just a thought.
I have a couple of intrument cases that have been converted to carrying some of my stuff. They work well and have the velvet lining in them to protect the cups and other metal items that may be contained in them. They also lock. I have converted sax and trumpet cases for friends and they seem to work the best. A flute case is a little small but I did see a nifty harmonica case at Guitar Center recently that would make the perfect and ideal size case for smaller items such as coins and such. Check it out.
For storage of my effects when I am not working, I use plastic tool boxes with a removable top try that I got from Lowes for $8.00 each. They are huge and they work great, and they are extremely durable for the price.

When I am working in more formal restaurants and venues, I do not carry the case holding my props from table to table but I keep my things in a case that I modified, which was the case to a poker playing set. I removed the poker stuff and lined the entire inside with a plush black velvet lining, sewed two black elastic straps into the underside of the lid to hold various items and I also made a few velvet-covered dividers for the bottom section of the case, which can be added as needed or removed completely. I also had Pattrick Przysiecki make me a custom-cut close-up mat (easy, since I lived about 10 miles away from him at the time) that would cover the top of the case for when I do use it tableside, and would also fit inside for easy storage/transportation.
The case is well made and I did purposefully purchase the poker set just for the case, which was only $20.00. It has thick, matte-finish aluminum covering with nickel plated edge liners and corner protectors and it closes with clasps. Total investment with all modifications including the custom 10"x7" mat: about $30 dollars.

@ Mike Maturen: How close is Harrisville to Frankenmuth? I noticed you are within the same area code. I currently live in Wyandotte and we come up to Frankenmuth once a month. I would love to see one of your shows sometime!
I ahve a guitar case that I picked up for cheap at a pawn shop that I converted to hold props. It's just fun to carry it in.
[quote]
On 2011-07-21 15:57, kennewhitson wrote:
I ahve a guitar case that I picked up for cheap at a pawn shop that I converted to hold props. It's just fun to carry it in.
[/quote]

Great idea!

Lol, I just had a thought: It would be hilarious to walk up/in to your next performance with this giant guitar case in tow. Set it down and open it up to reveal...a deck of cards.
That is a brilliant idea kennewhitson! So for smaller gigs, use a violin case. Great inspiration.