(Close Window)
Topic: Is TV getting to be the thing of the past?
Ok I understand that most folks still enjoy watching television. TV is definitely here to stay: its not going out of fashion any time soon.

But do people really watch TV as much as they use to? I seems as though its become more "background noise." kind of like having the radio on. You come home from day from whetever your do. You turn on the TV right away. Maybe go into the kitchen, do your thing, play with you hobbies, chase the family dog, harrass the kids etc.

There is the ever popular if you have cable: just flip through the channels from channel 2 to 1000 and then start over again. Or if you find something you stop and watch until a commercial comes on, then you keep going till you find something interesting again.

Ok before I go any further I still have the old style TV. Then it went Digital and I didn't have TV for like three months. Went out and got one of those converter boxes. Then after a year the converter box didn't work. Still didn't buy a new TV. Now Ive been without TV for like 9 months. I do miss it at times. But Ive realized if I go a friends house and they have cable there are the same shows are on when I had cable like five years ago.

I understand that most folks have shows they enjoy to watch. BUT? Has TV become the thing of the past? Do you play with your Hobbies more? Play on the Internet? Try to watch shows on the internet? like hulu or youtube?

Ive realized Ive gotten a lot more things done in life without my TV. don't get me wrong I miss it. Just haven't bought one. I want to get a projector to play with instead. Maybe I'll buy one when I get that projector.

But yeah Ive done other things like playing Lps on my turntables and mixer. Playing on the Magic Café, which is making me a better writer. Plugging in the VCR and getting through those Harry Lorayne videos: which I can perform a lot of those nowadays.Thanks Harry!

Just something I realized overtime. Just curious what others have to say....well I'm off and done with my ramblings .... thanks for your time and patience :)
For me it is background noise, doesn't matter if it tv or radio. My wife can actually follow a show, I cannot even name the major charactors on most shows I consider ones that I watch. For example I watch The Big Bang Theory and I know the main guy is Sheldon, I think the girls name is Kelly, but that is about it...and I really pay as much attention as I am capable of with that show. Since my wife is disabled she is homebound 99% of the time and if she would learn to work a computer I'd get rid of cable, which I can't afford anyway.
When TV went digital I lost all channels. Even with the converter box. No signals got to my house. I do have a BUD: 12-foot C-Band analog "Big Ugly Dish". The only thing on there now is C-SPAN, and a couple of preachers.

I finally went from dial-up to DSL in October so now I get my TV fix from the internet, some DVDs, and about a thousand VHS tapes of shows I've been recording for 30 years because something told me this would happen. And yes, I do have some tapes that I recorded 1982 that still play.

Right now, as I write this, I have a DVD, recorded over the air, of That 70s Show playing in the background. Like Santa, my favorite is Big Band. I get it at cbs.com the day after it airs.
Football (the kind you use your feet for) and Rugby, that's about it, I have no other interest in tv.
No. It is bigger and more popular than ever before.
Rod.
I’ve noticed the younger generation does not watch TV all that much. When they do they watch that crap on MTV. Social networking, which also includes youtube, is how this generation spends their time.

As for me, there is still no better way to relax than to watch a movie, or watch one of my favorite shows, or just catch up on the news. Not to mention football and Nascar. And when I need some help in getting to sleep, I put on the history channel.
I watch the news channels (real news NOT FOX), the food channel, and the travel channel once in a while. Yes the one eyed monster is on it's way out.
They said radio was dead too and look what they did in the last round of political B.S.
I don't thnk tv is dead, I think it is in transition. Probably it won't be long before only a few watch shows when they are broadcast and most will watch their favorites whenever they want over the internet.
HerbLarry
All those angry people on radio will kill that media too. The only radio that I listen to is PBS, and congress is trying to kill PBS too.

Cairo
First you say TV is not dead, and then you say that soon you will only be able to watch your favorite shows on the internet. Unless I'm missing something that is the definition of broadcast TV death.
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 00:50, kasper wrote:
Ok I understand that most folks still enjoy watching television. TV is definitely here to stay: its not going out of fashion any time soon....[/quote]

Shorter episode runs per season and irregular scheduling have pretty much lost network TV for me. Is it a special event when a new episode of a show airs at its expected time? When does the next season of South Park start? It's getting to be much simpler to catch up after the event when the DVD set comes out and someone at work lends me the set a month later.

This just in - the TV show The Cape is cut - and the last episode(s) will only be available on the internet till the DVD set comes out. Amazing.
Al, I think you are missing something. I don't think, or think I said, broadcast TV is dead or dying, just changing. TV producers will always make programs that will be broadcast, some people, perhaps most, won't watch them at the time they are broadcast, but at a time convenient to them. As the internet and tv morph into a single device - you've probably heard "google tv" is the first of these type products coming out now - it seems like viewing habits might change, but I'm sure there will always be tv shows and tv commercials..
TV is boring, their is nothing on most of the time. But we still sometimes catch a good program,
I don't think it's a thing of the past.

Just get Netflix on your gaming consol,8 dollars a month for unlimited movies. A lot more
intresting then what's on the tube..
The One Eyed Monster is just evolving...

Now it knows where you are. ;)
The one eyed monster of the future will be your servant, and not the other way around.
[quote]
On 2011-03-05 14:51, Al Angello wrote:
The one eyed monster of the future will be your servant, and not the other way around.
[/quote]

That's what they want you to believe. ;)
Can't beat moments like these:
[img]http://bp0.blogger.com/_HUo6bwW5eJI/SC__1BrPRPI/AAAAAAAAAB8/SSOxovL8FiA/s400/1702170.gif[/img]

Yeeeeeeehaaaaaawwww, mother humpers!!!
Am I the only one who 'the one eyed monster' means something else to?
[quote]
On 2011-03-08 22:33, MagicSanta wrote:
Am I the only one who 'the one eyed monster' means something else to?
[/quote]

Nope!

Am I the only one LOLing at the media/political references in this thread?
Takin' ol' one eye to the optometrist...
[quote]
On 2011-03-08 22:14, critter wrote:
Can't beat moments like these:
[img]http://bp0.blogger.com/_HUo6bwW5eJI/SC__1BrPRPI/AAAAAAAAAB8/SSOxovL8FiA/s400/1702170.gif[/img]

Yeeeeeeehaaaaaawwww, mother humpers!!!
[/quote]

That's everything that's truly great about television right there :D
[quote]
On 2011-03-08 22:40, critter wrote:
Takin' ol' one eye to the optometrist...
[/quote]
A pair of glasses!! How do you balance them?
Electric is going to be a thing of past after Friday.