(Close Window)
Topic: Thumb Tip Flash by Marc Antoine
This is one of the coolest items I have seen in a long time. Remember when FISM Flash came out? Well, most of you probably don't, because the majority of the people on this forum haven't been doing magic all that long. FISM Flash was John Cornelius' secret flash unit. It underwent many incarnations. I have one of the first ones. It is big and cumbersome, but it does put out a flash!!!

Well, Marc Antoine of France has just released his Thumb Tip Flash unit. It's basically a FISM Flash built into a flexible thumb tip. It's bright, rechargeable, and easy to use.

Imagine that you are doing a coin trick. You place a coin into your left hand, wave your right hand over it, and when you open your left hand, there is a flash of light and the hand is empty. Not bad, eh?!

The unit recharges fairly quickly. A charge is good for about 100 flashes, without a 15 second wait time between flashes. It comes complete with a charging cord, which plugs into a USB port on your computer. If you don't have a USB port on your computer, you can purchase a standard AC-USB charging module from your local electronics shop for about $10.

It works just like a D-Lite only it's a real BURST of light!

It's not cheap. It will set you back $165. But then you don't want the kid down the street to pick these up at a magic kiosk, do you?

Available from Stevens Magic Emporium.
http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_39&products_id=112230

Scroll down for demo.
I have the original Cornelius Fism Flash and it is a bit cumbersome; I should probably list it in the For Sale or Trade column and put the money toward one of thes thumb tip flashes! Thanks for the post Bill.
Bill, I couldn't agree with you more. Indeed, I bought a second TTF about two months after I purchased my first one just to be sure I had a backup if/when they're no longer available.

I'm very much hoping the realtively stiff price tag will keep it out of the hands of people who would ruin it for the rest of us through overuse and/or misuse.

BTW, each of mine came with an adapter allowing you to charge the device using an electrical outlet and not a USB port on your computer.
The ones that Joe Stevens is selling now comes with the USB adapter.
I love mine.
It is a really bright flash.
I'm sure some effective routining could be used in getting this in and out of play, but watching that demo video at the Stevens site made me think, "Great, now BOTH hands are dirty at the end of the vanish."
I love flashing.
Well, last year I helped a friend of mine to get three of these TT. So I used my credit card, and he transfer the cash as he doesn't have a plastic. As for Steven's Magic, their service was extraordinary excellent.

Even though I didn't open nor try the thumb tip, but my friend was extremely happy and satisfied with them. He even said the battery is very long-lasting. I wish that I could try one of them so I could a review in here. However, Bill's review is a good one and he is a well-respected member of this forum.

I just can't find a good routine for this and I never use any TT before :)
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Mar 7, 2011 10:53AM)
This is a modern age miracle, a small miracle, but one non the less.
You say "wow look at that high price!"
Well well thought out methodology and excellent technology/construction are invaluable.

The flash is strong, there is a half-second delay which is marvelous, it is tiny and deceptive, and recharges with ease.
It's very strong misdirection, and very unexpected, easy to access and easy to ditch.

Okay, what more could you want? Especially when open flames are banned more and more in venues.
I love my investment as do my two colleagues who now own a unit.

Magically,
Walt
This is why I love the Café. I would probably never have stumbled across this myself. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Bill for bringing this to my attention!
Warm Regards,
Steve
I bought mine from Stevens while I was at the World Magic Seminar in Vegas. Does your TTF also have a darker spot on the outside where the glue attaches the electronics with the outer TT?

Also I would love to have a longer delay, let´s say 2 seconds after pressing the button.
But all in all I love it, even if I now have to find a few ideas where to use it.
[quote]
On 2011-03-06 22:16, Randwill wrote:
I'm sure some effective routining could be used in getting this in and out of play, but watching that demo video at the Stevens site made me think, "Great, now BOTH hands are dirty at the end of the vanish."
[/quote]
There is a very simple way to do a coin vanish cleanly, without ending up with two dirty hands. Think "Coin Go" or use Nick Niberco's method -- a simple utility R**L. If you do Ring Flight, you can do some work on a coin so that the Ring Flight gaffus works double duty.

I don't think a coin vanish is necessarily the most efficient use for this item, though.

Posted: Mar 8, 2011 7:16pm
There are a couple of darkish spots on the TT. The TT is not opaque, because there must be light transmission.
[quote]
On 2011-03-08 19:14, Bill Palmer wrote:
I don't think a coin vanish is necessarily the most efficient use for this item, though.
[/quote]

I concur. I utilize it to add some punch to a bare-handed silk production that's part of my opener. When I then tuck the silk into my breast pocket, I ditch the gimmick.
Cheers to modern technology. I love this. It adds a great and unexpected magical moment. Really amps up the "magic-ness" of what ever you're doing.

BTW, I still have my original FISM Flash. Works like a charm, though cumbersome.
Is this just for indoors, or is the flash bright enough for a sunny day?

Thanks,

Jim
[quote]
On 2011-03-07 03:38, Failed Magician wrote:
I just can't find a good routine for this and I never use any TT before :)
[/quote]

There's a great older effect called Tin Can Telefax (by Professor Putter, I believe) whereby you use a blank deck as fax paper and a few tin cans and stringed gimmicks, a la the old kids teleophone with tin cans and a string. You patter about how times have changed and you now use the cans as a fax. You F***E a card and then go through the routine of sending the fax through the tin cans. At the moment you have the spec hit the "send button", the Professor recommended using a fism flash to create a visual effect...and voila, the faxed card ends up on the other end in the blank deck.....this thumb tip will make that effect so much more effective! I'm buying one today! If anyone wants to know how to make the gimmicks, PM me. best, bob
P.S. as per my earlier post, I sold my Fism Flash in For Sale or Trade today!
Real cool for a sunny day; works like hell. Cool, COOL, cool!!! JP
Thanks, John!
I just got mine today and it's truly wonderful. It charges quickly, works great and the flash is amazingly bright. I had the old Fism Flash, but because of it's bulkiness and awkward use I never used it, and my wife said the thumb tip really startled her when she first saw me use it. While some of you like the delay, I'd prefer to have it instantaneous, to take the guess work, or timing factor away. But not an insurmountable problem, just practice. Thanks Bill for bringing this to the table!
Is there any sound during the recharge, like a high-pitched whine?
Bekralik, you can't hear a thing....and used just like a TT...except for the microchips on board!
PS.... I mispoke, it's not the type of TT you'd use for the standard TT effects....sorry for any confusion......
[quote]
On 2011-03-08 18:25, Card-Shark wrote:
I bought mine from Stevens while I was at the World Magic Seminar in Vegas.

Rats! I stopped by the Stevens booth at least ten times during WMS and never saw it demonstrated.

Problem solved: I just ordered it.
This looks like a good solution, and your hands are left clean
I saw it at Blackpool and it's very bright!
http://www.magictricks.co.uk/products/1-STREET/5453-Cobra-Flash-by-Alex-Lourido/?bc=no
Matt,
I think the one you bought is NOT the same!
- that one is a Cobra Flash made by Alex Lourido, and is not built into a Thumb Tip as this one is.

Me
[quote]
On 2011-03-06 22:16, Randwill wrote:
[/quote]

My thought as well. FISM Flash might be cumbersome but once it's set up with a toe switch it's a much better solution then putting a light in a thumbtip.
The thumb tip is so-o-o-o much easier to produce the flash with....it's a beauty.....and while not as "flashy" as the Fism Flash in that it LOOKS like a flash bulb going off, while the thumb tip ia a brilliant white light coming out of your hand....they don't even know it's coming from your thumb. This thing is a marvel and fun to use and fool folks with. Just my pinion. As I said, I had Fism Flash till I got this, then sold it very quickly.
I would still like to know if this is only my TT that has this dark spot and a dent where the electronics are glued inside. I feel uncomfortable with it.
As Bill Palmer noted on his March 8 post, there are a couple of darkish areas on the TT. Mine has a small darkish spot around a tiny dent over the base of my thumb pad (the same area that you describe where the lower end of the electronics are cemented).

But I really can't imagine it being noticed by the average spectator. And, so far, no one I've performed it for has.
[quote]
On 2011-03-24 17:42, marknem7 wrote:
As Bill Palmer noted on his March 8 post, there are a couple of darkish areas on the TT. Mine has a small darkish spot around a tiny dent over the base of my thumb pad (the same area that you describe where the lower end of the electronics are cemented).

But I really can't imagine it being noticed by the average spectator. And, so far, no one I've performed it for has.
[/quote]

What he said. :nod:
[quote]
On 2011-03-24 20:13, Donal Chayce wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-03-24 17:42, marknem7 wrote:

[/quote]

What he said. :nod:
[/quote]

What they said :)
[quote]
On 2011-03-19 05:26, matt.magicman wrote:
This looks like a good solution, and your hands are left clean
I saw it at Blackpool and it's very bright!
http://www.magictricks.co.uk/products/1-STREET/5453-Cobra-Flash-by-Alex-Lourido/?bc=no
[/quote]

This looks very nice... I was playing with super bright LEDs myself to try to do something similar.

But the demo leaves me wondering exactly;y how you use it. Do you need to palm it and ditch it on a pull? Is it placed on the body and you do your move in front of it?

If someone who has it could PM me just that much information id find it very helpful in figuring out if it would be useful to me or not.
PMd you Cyberqat.....
It's no secret.
I'm sure as the ad states, it can operated using a tilt switch ie. when you lift your arm up, or the manual button
Anyone know how these work with black shirts?
Matt
Sounds nice! I was recently looking around for something similar to the FISM Flash, which is unfortunately no longer available for reasons I'm sure most know about. I want to use this for several different effects, mainly for anytime that you want to punctuate a climactic vanish or production. Is the TTF appropriate for this type of use?

Also, can the TTF be used for close-up work? Or is it just for stage or parlour work? If it is no larger than a standard TT then it should be fine, even with some dark spots on it, as the spectators should never notice a TT if handled properly.

Thanks!

Jim
Certainly can be used close-up with care. Same as the TT.

Damon
The TTflash is really very nice, neat & professionally build....is great for stage routine e.g bright light to bird! :)

Personally for close up, I will go with the latest cobra flash(very very bright light) or the latter model of Fism flash (with the side panel switch)cos it is more clean & nothing to ditch if the audience are around or very close to you. :)
For those who wonders how long this gimick can last Per charge OR when will the battery wear off (after countless time of charging) & need to buy a new TTF..below is the reply from thr manufactuer:

..........Dear Joe

.......Make please 100 or 150 Flashs and Charge (No memory effect )

.........is better to charge more than not enough ...

.........Battery is the same thecnology like Iphone or many Lap top

......Regards

.......Marc Antoine
I like this item a lot but did not find the immediate use for it in my repertory.. So mine is for sale on this forum, brand new.
Pro Light by Marc Antoine is coming to a dealer near you soon. Sort of a cross between D'lite and thumb tip flash that we already love. Any reviews invited.
I just bought one of these - probably the last one available anywhere- 2 weeks ago, online. Fortunately it was considerably less than $149.
I have to say, it's really neat, and very well thought out; I haven't often seen the kind of planning and ingenuity that went into this. Just the method of charging via USB -that is, the custom connectors- made me chuckle, it was a brilliant way to keep the size down.
Also brilliant (hah! twice the pun) is the built-in 1 second delay. This allows you to get your hands in a better position for the actual flash so as not to give it away.

That said, there are certain situations this wouldn't work well in, but what utility is perfect? If you're doing heavy sleight of hand for example, the original fism might be a better solution as it leaves your hands clean and unobstucted, but that method is a lot of work to set up.
For plain simplicity and quick set up, even something impromptu you can carry anywhere with you, it's just mega cool and well made. Or was. I take it this is discontinued for an improved design?
I gave my review on Thumb Tip Flash above.

As for the PRO LIGHT, please read below :)

This is a very bright RED light dlite...with charging function...similar to TT FLASH....I got from Marc Antoine a few weeks ago

However I am not sure if Marc sought any permission from Rocco/Juan Mayoral (They are BOTH the inventor of dlite)

IF there is none...then in my view, I feel the China made version is better cos it has 6 BRIGHT HIGH Density light (RED, Pink, Blue, Yellow, White & Green) ALL build into 1 single TT

Whereas Marc version comes in only 1 colour, RED or Blue & thety are using the same light blub (the high desnity as the China version which has SIX lights)

Though I dislike China entices in copying & quality....BUT their 6 colour TT really impressed me.

I currently using BOTH Marc & China version in my act & they really put the old dlite (the usual LED to shame)

Hope this helps :)
You bought a Chinese ripoff?
A friend gave it to me...I am crazy with LED Light stuffs...I am just giving my honest review :)

Meanwhile, I am curious if Marc has any approval from Juan Mayoral/Rocco to make his dlite AKA prolight ?
Does JMR post here? We should ask him.
Dove-boy, do you have a link to the chinese version?
I wish the thumb tip flash came in a large size.
like vernet does for their tt.
This little gizmo is just spectacular - it works incredibly well and, for me, is simpler to use than my FISM Flash. I am delighted with the purchase.

MW
Love it. Very bright light, a real worker, easy to load and ditch, no assle to get cable all around your body.
Does anyone have contact details for Marc?
I placed a large order with him last month and Ive had no response. I've tried his website and email but they are now no longer available.

Thank you
Phil
Since this has been out for over 2 years now I have a question about the battery. Has anyone's battery gone bad? Is the battery replaceble when it does go bad?
Thanks,
Steve
Phil:
You might try to connect Marc via this website : http://www.paris-magic.com/
I know they are in touch with Marc Antoine. Marc is a great creator but he's also known to be tricky to deal with..

Steve: This item uses a rechargeable battery.. I've had no problem so far (about 3 years) but I don't use it very often.
[quote]
On 2013-06-10 19:41, Guillaume Vallée wrote:
Phil:
You might try to connect Marc via this website : http://www.paris-magic.com/
I know they are in touch with Marc Antoine. Marc is a great creator but he's also known to be tricky to deal with..

Steve: This item uses a rechargeable battery.. I've had no problem so far (about 3 years) but I don't use it very often.
[/quote]
One sure bet is that rechargable batteries eventually fail. Does anyone know if this can be replaced?
TIA,
Steve
Hi,
I just would to rectify what I wrote.. My weak knowledge of the english language made me screw up.

Marc Antoine is an extremly fair and gentle guy and I didn't mean any bad comment.

When you get in touch with him, I'm sure he'll do his best to help.
I need to contact Marc Antoine, to get his Pro ligth. I contact the http://www.paris-magic.com
by email and phone but no answer.

paulo
Here the email from Marc Antoine is a very kind magician!

magicmarcantoine@gmail.com

Paulo Cabrita
Thanks everyone.

Marc is a great guy to work with and the quality of his product is outstanding! He chased up my order and it arrived safely.

Highly recommended!
Phil
Got to have one...
I am looking for this product can someone tell me where I can find it
I think you can find it on the Penguin Magic website.