(Close Window)
Topic: Liebrary eBook test.
The effect: A spectator selects any one of several eBooks, turns to the page of his/her choice as you look away. The spectator concentrates on one word and you name it.

LIEBRARY offers 7 separate eBooks and the option to purchase supplementary modules with even more eBooks!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
I had the pleasure of receiving a preliminary copy of "Liebrary" from Prager for testing and evaluation when it was in its early stages of development. Although I have made no secret of my disdain for mentalism effects for iPhones, iPads and similar devices in the past because of the obvious implication that they are dependent on electronic gimmickry for their accomplishment, a good look at "Liebrary" has forced me to rethink my objections.

While the fact that it requires the participating spectator to think of a word on a page from an ebook viewed on an iPhone, iPad or computer screen makes it impractical use in other than one-on-one or close-up performance, I WAS IMPRESSED and if I can load it into my newly acquired smart phone (a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10) WILL HAVE NO QUALMS ABOUT USING IT on those rare occasions when I might find it appropriate to perform impromptu. While it does have some obvious limitations -- e.g., suitable only for one-on-one or close-up performance, immediately repeatable for the same spectator only if a different book is selected, etc. -- it IS a real fooler. The method is based on a well-known method popularized by Larry Becker its adaptation to an ebook format is very clever and, so far as I have been able to ascertain, original. IMO the fact that the participant has a free choice of any page in any of the seven books combined with a VERY reasonable price (in fact, IMO it could easily sell for more) and the option to purchase additional books if desired make "Liebrary" a real bargain and I am happy to have the opportunity to endorse it enthusiastically.

Although I understand that Prager credits me with contributing to the project in a notation in the instructions, my contribution was limited to offering some suggestions re: marketing. I have no financial interest in this or any of Prager's other products.
WOW ! This is a real good beginning for your product Jose.
Im glad that you came up with a nice idea , original and giving proper credit/reference.

The best for your product.
I have also had the privilege of seeing this project during its many stages of development. I feel honored that Mr. Prager has allowed me to contribute my thoughts. His energy/enthusiasm is contagious. Dealing with Jose is as good as drinking espresso.
In anticipation of the likelihood that someone will ask for a comparison of J. Prager's "Liebrary" vs. Alan Rossison's "Dracula Ebook Test for iPhones" I will post a comparison to the "Inner Thoughts" forum shortly.
Dragged kicking and screaming Dick, welcome to the 21st Century. Yes, this technology is becoming engrained and commonplace.
[quote]
On 2011-03-11 11:47, Tom Cutts wrote:
Dragged kicking and screaming Dick, welcome to the 21st Century. Yes, this technology is becoming engrained and commonplace.
[/quote]

Tom,

No offense intended but don't be too quick to judge. Read my comparison of "Liebrary" (which is NOT an app) vs. Alan Rorrison's ebook test which IS an app. I am hardly a luddite and have nothing against technology* per se for magic or mentalism so long as it can be used in a way the does not make it transparently obvious that techno-gimmickery is employed in order to accomplish the effect. IMO "Liebary" is designed so that it meets that criteria.

*case in point: I started using what was arguably the first truly "portable" computer (an Osborne "Vixen") in running my business long before either personal desktops or laptops were as ubiquitous as they are today.
Do you not recall where you stated right here on The Café that an ebook test would always look like electronic wizardry; when others were saying clever performers will come up with solutions which overcome such concerns?

It appears LieBrary might just be the first of what will be a long history of "book tests" which use contemporary forms of "books".
[quote]
On 2011-03-11 13:10, Tom Cutts wrote:
Do you not recall where you stated right here on The Café that an ebook test would always look like electronic wizardry; when others were saying clever performers will come up with solutions which overcome such concerns?
[/quote]

Tom,

Of course I do -- in fact, I addressed that very issue in my initial post to this thread and went on to explain why I don't have the same concern about "Liebary." I will continue to endorse other ebook tests (just as I do book tests that don't involve ebooks) just as long as they meet what I consider to be essential criteria for credibility and will continue to deride those that scream "app."

Don't you ever bother to actually READ my posts before taking issue with them?
Oh I read your post, Dick. I also read the posts where you repeatedly stated that ebook tests will never be anything less than electronic gadget wizardry. But I know, the trend is to staunchly argue against something, then meekly announce one has changed their mind. I'm just congratulating you on overcoming that mountain of objection you had toward what others said was coming.

In fact, that IS something that others should not take lightly. It speaks well of the product.
I had the pleasure to read this new effect.
What I can say the this is really good. I tried it immediatly: I killed the spectators.
The wonderful thing is that if you have a smartphone you can perform it anywhere
and anytime. It is very easy to learn and to perform.

If you like the book test this version is for you. This is just a modern version and it is good like
the classic one or better.

Very good job.

Congratulation Josè

bye
Tommy.
Where can we get this?
GeneTony,

PM J.Prager (see the opening post on this thread)
It is now available: http://www.mentalshockproductions.com

:)
J. Prager is an exciting young talent.

I wish him much success.
I received a few moments ago my copy of this product ( as a matter of fact, 7 eBooks)

Very nice idea. Good thinking behind, VERY easy to do. The selection procedure is completely hands off.
Works great in iPhone 3GS ( at least in my own, hehe).

Well credited as well.

You gain a "thumbs up" from me José!
WOW!

Thank you all of you for your comments, they mean a LOT to me.

We have tested LIEBRARY and it works perfectly with PC, iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.

It also works with a lot of smartphones, if you are not sure about a specific smartphone model please PM me.

LIEBRARY eBook test is NOT a special application, software, program, etc.

Effect: Spectator selects one of several eBooks, goes to ANY page as you look away, he concentrates on a word and you can reveal it!

You really don´t know the page selected by the spectator and there is no fishing.

If you have any questions please PM me I am here to help.
$30!!!!

LOL!!!! Pick up a book and riffle force. iForce THE best iPhone mentalism effect is only $3

Crazy times.
James
Yes and wow, Dick has come over to the what will make regular books a thing of the past. Welcome aboard Dick, I never thought I would see you endorse this. "Why are you using those old paper things" LOL! :cool:

Decomposed

PS: I may have to give up my push button landline phone and get me a fancy carry one so I can get this.
[quote]
On 2011-03-13 03:36, Decomposed wrote:
Yes and wow, Dick has come over to the what will make regular books a thing of the past. Welcome aboard Dick, I never thought I would see you endorse this. "Why are you using those old paper things" LOL! :cool:

Decomposed

PS: I may have to give up my push button landline phone and get me a fancy carry one so I can get this.
[/quote]

Don't bet your life on that. Those who think paper is doomed probably said that vinyl was doomed when 8-tracks were hot. Vinyl is now making a major comeback among serious audiophiles. I am confident in predicting that printed books will NOT disappear -- at least not in our lifetime. The useful life of a CD or DVD is estimated to be only about 20 years. While other digital media will probably be around forever, books are likely to be as well.

I don't plan to abandon print media, nor do I anticipate ever using ebooks, apps or other effects that rely on digital media in my performances simply because they do not lend themselves to the situations in which I perform (i.e., stage, plaform, cabaret for audiences as small as a dozen to as many as several hundred or more). Despite the fact that I will have few opportunities to use LIEBRARY myself, I have endorsed/recommended it because I know that many (probably the majority) of the Café subscribers perform almost exclusively for friends and family or one-on-one situations and rarely, if ever, perform on stage. I have also recommended it because of its versatility (i.e., it works on a variety of devices), the fact that it is clearly NOT an "app," is completely "hands off" and, although it uses an electronic/digital device, does NOT appear to be dependent upon techno-gimmickry in order to work. In those respects it is VERY different from most of the other similar (but hardly comparable) effects that are so popular and highly touted.

If and when other effects come along that offer comparable flexibility, portability, reliability and apparent "cleanliness" without the limitations/objections inherent in the other "techno-effects" I've seen you can expect me to endorse and recommend them as well. So far I haven't seen any.
You can get LIEBRARY here: http://www.mentalshockproductions.com

If you are interested in LIEBRARY PM me I have something very special for you...
I was lucky enough to get a review copy to try out. I first used it on a Blackberry Curve 8530 using the Repligo PDF Reader. With a small amount of research I was able to get this to work like a charm. I like it a lot. In fact I think I will be buying extra ebooks to put with the 7 that come with it for a wider array of choices. Very cool & super easy...leaves a lot of room for actual performance & drama!

Love it!

Nathan

PS Not saying this because it was free...saying it because I LIKE it!
[quote]
On 2011-03-13 06:23, Dick Christian wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-03-13 03:36, Decomposed wrote:

Decomposed

[/quote]

Don't bet your life on that. Those who think paper is doomed probably said that vinyl was doomed when 8-tracks were hot. Vinyl is now making a major comeback among serious audiophiles. I am confident in predicting that printed books will NOT disappear -- at least not in our lifetime. The useful life of a CD or DVD is estimated to be only about 20 years. While other digital media will probably be around forever, books are likely to be as well.

I don't plan to abandon print media, nor do I anticipate ever using ebooks, apps or other effects that rely on digital media in my performances simply because they do not lend themselves to the situations in which I perform (i.e., stage, plaform, cabaret for audiences as small as a dozen to as many as several hundred or more). Despite the fact that I will have few opportunities to use LIEBRARY myself, I have endorsed/recommended it because I know that many (probably the majority) of the Café subscribers perform almost exclusively for friends and family or one-on-one situations and rarely, if ever, perform on stage. I have also recommended it because of its versatility (i.e., it works on a variety of devices), the fact that it is clearly NOT an "app," is completely "hands off" and, although it uses an electronic/digital device, does NOT appear to be dependent upon techno-gimmickry in order to work. In those respects it is VERY different from most of the other similar (but hardly comparable) effects that are so popular and highly touted.

If and when other effects come along that offer comparable flexibility, portability, reliability and apparent "cleanliness" without the limitations/objections inherent in the other "techno-effects" I've seen you can expect me to endorse and recommend them as well. So far I haven't seen any.
[/quote]

Vinyl is making a huge comeback. Sales are rocking amongst youngens. Just need to find my turntable and get me a book test that will work on it. A hip hop book test with a proper mix and dancing will go a long way on the floor.
I made a 50% price drop on LIEBRARY, I also added 1 more eBook, so you will receive 8.

People that paid 30 USD has now their money refunded and the updated files.

You can get it now for 15 USD, some people disagree with me, they have told me that this is too good for giving it at such a low price.

LIEBRARY works perfectly on any PC, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and Kindle, we have also tested it in a lot of smartphones with success.

Remember if you have any questions I am here to help.

You can get more information here: http://www.mentalshockproductions.com
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 14, 2011 10:30AM)
I was wondering if it worked on Kindle! Holy crap, this is cool.

Best
Ray Noble
Have just downloaded this. Wow - I am going to have fun with this.

It was wonderful value at $30, but $15 makes it exceptional.

Hesitate no longer - and included in the price are some classic books which you may also enjoy reading.
J. Prager,

Just sent you a PM from my other address.
Thank you, Neil!
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 15, 2011 03:18AM)
I just bought this thing.........

First thought after reading the short instructions........WTF!

This is too easy for a knock em dead routine! LOL

Yea, this is vey good. Funny thing is that I don't use a I-pad , I-phone, kindle or smart phone. But, now I will go look at a kindle. LOL

Hey, for those who have this, try this..... Use a lay persons I-phone, Ipad or what ever, and go to the internet and go to your HOME computer. See if you can access the e-books and then TRY to do the book test! If it works that would be cool, because you can use the spectator's VERY OWN phone!

Great job on this, J.

Ray
Now I am really interested. Wish I had a fancy phone....

Decomposing
[quote]
On 2011-03-15 04:18, Magical Dimensions wrote:

Hey, for those who have this, try this..... Use a lay persons I-phone, Ipad or what ever, and go to the internet and go to your HOME computer. See if you can access the e-books and then TRY to do the book test! If it works that would be cool, because you can use the spectator's VERY OWN phone!

[/quote]

Hi Magical Dimensions,

You may not want to access your home computer from another person's phone for security reasons, but I suspect you can upload the ebooks to your website and simply access them from there. I don't have this, but that may accomplish what you suggested. However, Jose indicated you need a "go to page" function on your phone and so I don't know if that would work when the ebook is on a website. Cool idea to try out :)

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 15, 2011 07:42AM)
HiSteve,
Yea I thought of that after I posted..... I have another idea but don't want to say it here because of little trolls. LOL

Ray
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 15, 2011 08:41AM)
As I was reading this I thought to myself what if a person selected page ?. That would be nuts!

Well I did this for my wife and she did select page ? and I missed!

So I will have to say please selcted a page between ? and what ever. LOL

So the first time out of the gates I fall on my butt! LOL

Best
Ray
MD

I can't see this happening unless the spectator disobeys your instructions. In which case you can explain why you failed, i.e. "I had eliminated that page from consideration because I instructed you to..."
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 15, 2011 09:08AM)
[quote]
On 2011-03-15 10:05, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
MD

I can't see this happening unless the spectator disobeys your instructions. In which case you can explain why you failed, i.e. "I had eliminated that page from consideration because I instructed you to..."
[/quote]

Well yea! LOL

I just thought what are the odds of this happening? LOL Darn, I should have my wife play the lotto!

I have now added more INSTRUCTIONS to my patter. LOL

Ray
Decomposed you don´t need to have a phone for making this effect possible.
I actually carry a complete LIEBRARY on a USB at my keychain (a lot easier than carring 100 paper books)

If you need LIEBRARY in some specific language PM me.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 16, 2011 07:20PM)
Hey, I just bought a NOOK e-reader.

This book test works on a NOOK!

Ray
[quote]
On 2011-03-15 04:18, Magical Dimensions wrote:

[/quote]

I've spend the last year adapting many different types of mentalism routines I like to work on iphone, ipads...etc. One big challenge is to create routines that justify using this technology. Another challenge is to create the routine so that the spectator ultimately believes that what you did has nothing to do with the technology.

Why use someone's iphone to access your computer so you can access an e-book? Why not just use an e-book on the iphone you are borrowing? Or if you're going to the internet, why not just access any website that has text on it?

Having to go to a specific e-book points the spectator to the fact that you have to use THAT particular e-book.

I love trying to use open technology in mentalism. It's a challenge. But the ultimate goal is to make the technology seem irrelevant.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 16, 2011 11:17PM)
[/quote]

I've spend the last year adapting many different types of mentalism routines I like to work on iphone, ipads...etc. One big challenge is to create routines that justify using this technology. Another challenge is to create the routine so that the spectator ultimately believes that what you did has nothing to do with the technology.

Why use someone's iphone to access your computer so you can access an e-book? Why not just use an e-book on the iphone you are borrowing? Or if you're going to the internet, why not just access any website that has text on it?

Having to go to a specific e-book points the spectator to the fact that you have to use THAT particular e-book.

I love trying to use open technology in mentalism. It's a challenge. But the ultimate goal is to make the technology seem irrelevant.
[/quote]

Well? Did you figure out a solution?

Ray
[quote]
On 2011-03-16 23:09, Mr. Mindbender wrote:

[/quote]

One of the great things about Prager's LIEBRARY is that it does NOT involve just a single book and is therefor suspect -- the participating spectator has a free choice of any of 8 ebooks as well as a free choice of page within the book giving it an air of legitimacy lacking when only a single book is in play.
Just echoing what everyone else has said: this is a tremendous book test!

Bravo, Jose, Bravo!
A couple different possibilities, all depending on the situation and the spectator.

I have a book test I use on my iPhone -- spec can pick from any of a dozen books I've purchased from the iBook store. There's a reason built into the presentation of why I use these dozen book, so it prevents someone from saying "Do it again, buy use one of my books..."

I have another version that uses any written document someone has on their phone -- a text, and e-book, an e-mail. It's not as clean as the first book test, but it has the benefit of allowing me to use almost anything as the source.

I'm currently working on an effect where I send two spectators an e-mail, they each concentrate on a word from the e-mail, and it ends up they both are thinking of the same word. It's kind of like a digital version of Jack Tillar's Design Duplication.
[quote]
On 2011-03-17 00:25, gmeister wrote:
Just echoing what everyone else has said: this is a tremendous book test!

Bravo, Jose, Bravo!
[/quote]

Thank you! :D

I am very glad because everyone is enjoying LIEBRARY.

I am currently working in the spanish and german edition, if someone needs it in some other language let me know.
Review : LIEbrary by J.Prager
from http://www.amirasideas.com

Jose is a creator from México. He has some products that in the past created a lot of controversy for lack of crediting and references for his ideas.

Lets forget all that and just focus now in this new offer from him that is also creating opinions from the community, but good ones now.

This product costs U$15 in
http://www.mentalshockproductions.com/

My opinion:

For 15 bucks you will receive a file that contains 8 different eBooks. Each eBook allows you to create one mindreading effect, for that reason if you want to repeat the effect , you need to use a different eBook.

The "explanation" eBook is just 2 pages long, and althought the methodology is super simple and easy the idea can be expanded and analyse in a more profound way.
This eBook works in iPhone ( from personal experience) and for that reason you can have hundreds of "normal" eBooks and be always ready to performr a eBook Test.

One criticism for the eBooks is the lack of covers. José knows very well how to do cool images and I think that this point is neccesary to indirect sell the idea that this eBooks are just that and not fake one.

Rate: 8,5/10

Althought the main principle is very old is a very nice mix of ideas that allows you to create mindreading without the use of apparent "magic apps".

Congratulations José!

Original description:
I have just sent an update to all the LIEBRARY owners.

The eBooks now have a cover as my friend Pablo suggested.

The new buyers will receive the plain text eBooks and the eBooks with cover design.
I have finished working in the covers.

They are beautiful and very real looking.

I am sending the eBooks with covers to the owners of LIEBRARY at this moment.

Great reviews from everyone! Thank you and please let me know your thoughts about the new covers.

Now I am going to drink some tequila! But before leaving... I want to give one LIEBRARY for free.

First one to PM me gets it!
As the others said this is a nice book test.

"Why?" you may ask...

For me it seems very useful because it works on my mobilephone which I carry around all the time. If for whatever reasons I want to do a book test hands off, I can take my mobilphone and just do that. Read a spectators mind!

You can do it EVERYWHERE where you can't find a book to do your regular ungimmicked book test! Normally - if a book is available - I would prefer to do my ungimmicked book test, a combination from several others, including David Hoys book test. But it is good to know that I have something to fall back on...

Currently - as english is not my native language and I prefer to do it with german ebooks - I am working in cooperation with José on a german version of this ebook test.

At the moment it seems as if my arranged ebooks will be available soon for everyone interested in german ebooks.
Just got this, VERY simple and very clever!
Really easy to do, and fries them (tried it today, fooled badly!

A great, commercial, modern book test :)

Kyle
I am thinking of getting a Kindle 3G. I will get this then. Anyone have a Kindle with free internet service (not Wi-Fi)?
Kindle otw, see if I say goodbye to paper......
Like you, Decomposed, I was none too sure about ebook readers. But my wife got me a Sony one for Christmas and I was soon converted.

Not only will you be able to perform Liebrary on it - which is really worth having - but it allows you to catch up on some of the ebooks you may have but never got round to printing out or reading on screen.

I think you'll be well pleased.

Neil
Are the books used in the effect common public domain books? One of the biggest issues I have with book tests is justifying why I picked those specific books. If they are common public domain books, I can explain that I have them because they were free.
They are very common titles and I don't think you need any special justification for having them. Most are really well known and in the public domain.
The introductory price of LIEbrary will finish soon.

If you are thinking about getting it, go for it now and you will save 15 USD.
AMAZING feedback from everyone that owns LIEbrary.

If you are not sure about getting it PM me. I will make you have it.

Are any supplementary modules available yet?
All,

I just got this, as I also just got an IPOD touch, and I immediately added this to it.

I have only performed it for a dear friend, and he liked it!

Comes in handy if you are out on the run and don't want to carry books around.

I really like the premise, and I like the way the covers look, as well as everything is so easy to understand.

Get this, as it is a good effec to add to your arsenal!

Alex