(Close Window)
Topic: Repaint/Refurbish Multiplying Bottles Again
What to do with an eight bottles set that's been in the magic closet for over twelve years? Take them out, and make them look completely different from the junk
coming from the Far East. You won't regret it.
http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss308/wkitwizard/?action=view¤t=BottlesPix.jpg
Very nice!

Jim
I've got an old set of multiplying bottles I purchased on eBay a couple of years ago. They're aluminum Harvey Bristol Cremes from England. Fairly old, paint is chipping off but the bottles themselves are in great shape. I'd like to refinish them and have no idea how to start. Can you give me any hints as to how you went about your process? Did you strip the old paint? What kind of paint did you use to repaint? Where did you get new labels?

Your overhauled bottles look great, by the way.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
John
Thanks for the compliment.
First get rid of the old labels-Goofoff, GooGone, etc. To strip the paint, use acetone and a clean rag. Or take to a stripping location, where they will "dip" the bottles, stripping away everything, down to the bare metal. Then you want to prime the bottles with indoor/outdoor primer-smooth coats, not heavy. Then use an enamel gloss such as Krylon to paint the exterior of the bottles. Seal with a clear sealer spray-light coats, not heavy. I've left a bunch of wine bottle label artwork links on another thread here, so just follow the webpage links. I print them out on a Canon i9900 color printer on Kodak print quality picture stock, cut them out, then use SpraMount adhesive to place on bottles. The necks are cover with actual foil-called GlueFoil, adhesive back color paper-use SpraMount adhesive.
Take your time, it's not a fast project.
Good Luck
Thanks so much, Wkitwizard. This is very helpful. I'll look out for your other posts re: labels. Thanks for the quick reply!
John
Just remembered. If you want to use a boxload of real labels: FREE SPECIAL OFFER! I've acquired over one hundred original, each different, full-size wine labels from Italy, France, Belgium, Holland and the US. Just PM me to see the details and I will ship out eight different labels no charge-just pay return postage. Glad to see people use them if they can!

Posted: Apr 4, 2011 4:53pm
Locked?
Wkitwizard,

Beautiful work on the bottles.
Thanks. I've got some photos of an sixteen bottle group that shows a lot of detailed work, Will post a link soon.
Great looking bottles. Looking forward to seeing the 16 bottle group.

Thom
Thank you. Need to get them assembled on a table and shoot it asap.

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 6:24pm
Here is an updated photo set of the SIXTEEN Bottle Setup-different labels, and different colors.

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss308/wkitwizard/?action=viewĄt=Bottles3.jpg
Wowů great job, that is one of the best looking sets that I have seen. Your work on the other props with the Egyptian motif looks great too!

Thank you for sharing,
Bruce
Thank you very much!
Awesome!