(Close Window)
Topic: Top 10 effects for 10-13 yo
What would be your choice of the best things for this difficult age group? They are jaded and intelligent beyond their years. What would you do?
Sleight of hand stuff, Thieves & Sheep coin effect, always kills them. sucker effects also kills them, Hippity Hop, Acrobatic silks, die box.
Bill
They are not a difficult age group. They are easy. A pure pleasure to perform for.
I did that age group this evening, and I opened with six card repeat followed by cards across. I followed with a balloon swallow. After that they fairly much went for everything - even the talking dog puppet.
If I think they are going to be cynical I open with something strong and quick to gain their respect. Then it is business as usual.
Ha Ha, my favorite age group. Needle through balloon, McCombical deck, (The Dagger chest, the Hand Chopper, visible sawing through body) on them, smash and stab, catching a dart shot from a gun between my teeth on me, and ending with the production box, rabbit wringer, and the circus wagon producing a real rabbit.
The Supposed dangerous tricks done on them are done in a somewhat comical yet dangerous way. They do not know if I'm serious or just kidding.
Example: The Hand Chopper is a $500 trick I got off of E-bay for $50. Why so cheap? It came without instructions. I've only used it once, last October. You may have read about it in the newspaper. I cut a boys hand right off. The last I heard he is doing fine. Yes they were able to sew his hand back on. He was lucky though. He didn't have to go to school for a month. Oh and I have put on a bloodied lab coat.
I blow the kids away with my show, especially boys!

At one time this was the worst group to perform for.

I also now have a Lester Lake Guillotine I could add if I want to. But then that would be overkill. HAHA!!!
I would certainly do a cups and balls routine, similar to Dai Vernon's.
Smash and Stab
Bill to Lemon
mentalism like Wisseman color cube
Snake basket
Kolossal Killer
Dream Prediction or other prediction trick
Rabbit production with rabbit picking card
Red Carpet (Palter)
Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot
Invisible Deck
News Flash
Rope
Ring and Rope
Linking Rings
Spelling Bee
Book Test
Contact Juggling
Mental Epic
Card Flourishes and Card Jugglery

These all work for that age group but I wouldn't do all of these in one show.
Mostly if it's just this age group and not too large a crowd I try to talk them into Close-Up.
This age can be over sensitive about watching a baby show and I'd rather avoid the whole fear for them.

-Mary Mowder
Kids this age love the same kind of magic you'd do for an adult audience.
Kalver's growing/shrinking head
The Scorpion
Card in balloon
I close with a Lester Lake chopper

Jim
[quote]
On 2011-03-16 23:09, wizardpa wrote:

Example: The Hand Chopper is a $500 trick I got off of E-bay for $50. Why so cheap? It came without instructions. I've only used it once, last October. You may have read about it in the newspaper. I cut a boys hand right off. The last I heard he is doing fine. Yes they were able to sew his hand back on. He was lucky though. He didn't have to go to school for a month. Oh and I have put on a bloodied lab coat.
I blow the kids away with my show, especially boys!

At one time this was the worst group to perform for.

I also now have a Lester Lake Guillotine I could add if I want to. But then that would be overkill. HAHA!!!
[/quote]

I love this...it actually made me laugh out loud. VERY inventive...and perfectly suited to your market!

David
HaHa!!!! David. How about this?
My Dagger Chest Illusion.
The knives have been covered the whole time. I pick my volunteer and I have them sit down in a chair I brought.
I have a special surprise today. I bought an illusion that has been on back order for 6 months. Today, as I was backing out of my driveway to come to this show, the UPS guy delivered this to me. All I had time to do is take it out of the box. (I UNCOVER THE KNIVES). Please excuse me for a minute while I read the instructions.
(I PULL OUT A SHEET OF PAPER WHICH I HAVE TYPED INSTRUCTIONS ON IT and proceed to read them.) The DAGGER CHEST ILLUSION is one of the most popular illusions of all time. It is also one of the most dangerous. After many hundreds of hours of practice it should be safe for most magicians to perform. The magician has the volunteer sit in a chair. The magician then blindfolds the volunteer. The magician then places the Dagger Chest onto the volunteers head and has them hold onto the handles. Both the front and back panels are put in place. The magician then proceeds to place the daggers into the dagger chest one at a time and at the same time watches for any signs of blood. Once all of the daggers have been put in place, the magician removes the front panel. If done correctly, the volunteer should be unharmed, because his head is in another dimension of time and space. The magician then replaces the front panels, and removes all of the daggers. The magician then pulls out the front and back panels and removes the Dagger Chest. The makers of the dagger chest illusion can not be held responsible for any accidents or injuries resulting from the improper handling of this illusion by the magician. Do not attempt this illusion at home. IT IS VERY DANGEROUS!!!!

wizardpa