(Close Window)
Topic: License to use Bunny in show
It was brought up elsewhere in the forum that the USDA requires a magician to have a license in order to use a bunny in a magic show. I have called the USDA, and asked to have a packet/application sent out to me. I understand there will be a case worker assigned once I complete the application.
I would like for anyone that has a license for this, to respond and tell us just what is involved in this process? What is the case worker looking for in the inspection? How long the the process take?
After I get my license I'll post my experience.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Mar 21, 2011 03:29PM)
Wizardpa, That was me who brought up the licensing. If you will just be doing birthday parties ans Private Venues, then you should be ok. My issue was and is, I do a lot of state Fairs where animal acts are a part of the norm. Most hoof stock and other exotics are covered by licensing for their protection (animals) and the public. Basically any public exhibition of these animals. First step is ... you will recieve the booklet, This booklet will give you some simple guidelines to follow for your licensing. It will give you the amount of square inches needed per pound for your rabbit. thgis cage will need to be placed in an area free from other Natural preditors. Adequate heating and air to keep the critter comfortable. Easy for us since ours is in the house or Room addition. Clean and secure storage for their food, basically any tupperware that seals to keep mice and disease from the food. You will also have to do a vet visit . they will provide the paperweork for this vet visit as well. usually a 40 dollar bill covers this. This is also great just to help you keep your Rabbits health in check. Then you will be scheduled for a visit from a USDA REP. in our case it is a local vet that has taken on this responsibility due to the work case load in our area. They can do surprise visits at any time, but will not be the case for you since you are not a sanctuary open to Public but a home owner housing the critter. So they will call you to attempt to schedule a visit. . If you need me to. give me a shout and I can answer any in depth answers to any questions at another time. I just wanted to help get you started. Once again, for many small venues and private events, it may not be needed, but if doing major fairs or festivals then you run into a 50/50 chance of getting targeted.
Thanks Chris,
I have not done any fairs or such, and 99% of my shows are private venues. But I plan on getting a license anyway.
As far as I know I already have everything covered anyway except for the vet visit which I'll do as soon as I'm supposed to.
Just guessing Chris, what is the approximate time line for all of this?
Chris
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Mar 22, 2011 04:24PM)
After doing all your paperwork, and getting the vet to sign the papers. The time it takes to get your license is totally up to the inspector and his or her time available,What takes the time is to get the inspector to visit you, this will vary depending on their schedule. Hopefully you can get them to visit you quickly, The key is to keep communicating with your division be it western or eastern. Be courteous and kind at all times, try not to be rushing them . but the key is,,, if you have any questions before your visit in regards to meeting requirements, you can always call your regional office with the question, they will refer you to the certain pages in booklet that may apply to you and help you out to the fullest extent. So ... the visit could last just a few minutes, then they go over your paperwork, get that small check from you, then they will actually mail in the paperwork for you. it may take just a matter of a week to be licensed. write if you have anymore questions.
This really is not something specific regarding this post, but you might find it informative in light of what you are discussing.

Many years ago I did quite a few corporate gigs in the US and I would have to bring my doves into the country from Canada.

At the time I would have to have a vet inspect them in Canada - then get Agriculture Canada (our version of USDA) certify them - when landing in the US I would have to have a USDA vet meet me at the airport to certify the health and arrival of the doves. Nine times out of ten the vets had very little experience with birds - they would look in the cage and say "yep, their doves, their alive" - they signed the form, I paid them and that was it.

To leave the country I did not have to check with USDA unless it was beyond 30 days, in which case I would have to pay for a US vet to inspect them, then USDA to certify them. Regardless of this back in Canada it was another vet with Agriculture Canada certification.

Round trip - less than 30 days - it was at least $250 in fees, but well worth it once you knew what was involved in the paperwork and how to do it.

I know of a few horror stories of magicians trying to get across the border, simply because they did not follow the proper procedures. Also you had to know which flights were direct (airlines would not allow birds to fly if the plane did a temporary touch down in a state where the temprature could be at freezing on the tarmac) and could take the birds. In some cases we could spend at least a day just making travel arrangements for the birds!! Cast and crew were easy:)

However I have to say that all in all, my dealings with USDA was great - they were very professional, reasonable people to deal with.

Just another view.

MM
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Mar 22, 2011 08:57PM)
Motivator, you are correct, the USDA is not a bad entity at all. Treat them courteously and with respect, and they will do all in their powers to help you. Dealing with doves is still a tough issue, good to hear your stories, thanks for sharing.
So glad to hear about this not being that bad. I will keep everyone posted as things progress.
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Mar 24, 2011 02:23PM)
I found that the Animal Welfare Act does not currently seem to apply to birds or reptiles. I called the USDA number listed and they could not answer that question. I have a call in to someone who can be sure of the current updates. There are a few conflicting rules, which makes things a bit vague. When I speak with a USDA rep, I will let everyone know what applies. I know magic bunnies must be licensed.

"Animals Covered. The act applies to any live or dead dog, cat, nonhuman
primate, guinea pig, hamster, rabbit, or other warmblooded animal determined by the
Secretary of Agriculture to be for research or exhibition, or used as a pet."

"The AWA explicitly EXCLUDES birds, rats, and mice bred for research; horses not used for research; and other farm animals used in the production of food and fiber.3 Animals sold in retail facilities are not covered, unless they are wild or exotic animals. Cold-blooded animals like fish and reptiles also are excluded from coverage."

Here is a link to this page: http://www.southalabama.edu/researchcompliance/pdf/AWA-CRSreport.pdf
It's interesting that the AWA also applies to "dead" animals!

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 6:53pm
Also the USDA and CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. http://www.cites.org) already have regulations for exotic birds/parrots.
Oh No! Please don't tell me I need a license for my Axtell Expressions Talking Toucan Puppet?
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Mar 24, 2011 08:14PM)
[quote]
On 2011-03-24 18:51, David Charvet wrote:
[/quote]
As macabre as it seems, there are a handful of heartless, sick people who would kill their performing animal when confronted by authorities rather than be cited. Think: "Bad circuses with problem animals, Greyhound races with hounds that finish last, cock fighters with losing roosters, etc.] By including dead animals, the AWA has more teeth and animals are more protected. Isn't that terrible to even imagine someone so cold and cruel?
I said I'd keep everyone posted about the process to obtain a license for using rabbits in my magic show.
I've just received my packet today, 5 days after I called the USDA.
I have not had time to look over the application yet. I does not seem to be too involved though.

Posted: Mar 26, 2011 7:09pm
Well I filled out my application in about 5 minutes and I read over the Animal Welfare Act and Animal Welfare regulations, pertaining to rabbits, and as far as I know I'm in compliance. I'll be sending out my application and my $10 check on Monday.
[quote]
On 2011-03-24 21:14, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-03-24 18:51, David Charvet wrote:
[/quote]
As macabre as it seems, there are a handful of heartless, sick people who would kill their performing animal when confronted by authorities rather than be cited. Think: "Bad circuses with problem animals, Greyhound races with hounds that finish last, cock fighters with losing roosters, etc.] By including dead animals, the AWA has more teeth and animals are more protected. Isn't that terrible to even imagine someone so cold and cruel?
[/quote]

I think there is a less macabre reason for that clause.

Note that it refers to "exhibition" as one thing covered. There was a time when Taxidermy (particularly creative taxidermy) was a regular part of side shows. Dead animals can still carry disease bearing pests if not treated and stored properly.
OK, I'll be sending my application and $10 check out today, 1 week exactly to the day I first called the USDA. I also have an appointment today with a vet for my rabbits initial checkup. I keep the PVC, and the aphis form 7002 at my house after I get the vet to sign those forms.
One thing I found weird is how few vets handle rabbits. As far as I know without calling every vet, is that there are only 2 out of 74 vets in a 50 miles radius that do handle rabbits.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Mar 28, 2011 11:40AM)
My vet looked over the paperwork and said,,,,,,,,HUH????? so we had him call the regional office to understand what all we definately needed to discuss as far as diseases etc. Although he is good with the rabbits as far as vet care, but Wizardpa is correct, some vets are just good ole dog and cat, or perhaps horses as well here in oklahoma. I have finally found one that is great with the birds. Thank goodness, Wizardpa, keep us posted.
Well, I'm another step closer. My rabbits got checked out by the vet today and both are great. My vet did not know about the USDA's requirements for having a license either.
I had even called the USDA today to make sure I filled out the application correctly. As Chris from tropicalillusions said: The USDA has been nothing but extremely helpful. The girl from the USDA said the process should only take 4-6 weeks if all goes OK.

My vet gave me a web site to look at: http://www.houserabbit.org or http://www.rabbit.org. I'll be going there now to check it out.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Mar 28, 2011 09:35PM)
Morningstar, when I last spoke with my inspector, he had also stated that the USDA is going to have guidelines for the hookbills, but not to soon, Having issues on guidelines to write up for folks to follow. They say it will take some time to get in ironed out but they are working on it. It would be fun to sit in on that staff meeting to get that organized........ Wizardpa, sounds like you got it going on my friend. Remember,,, the USDA is your friend....LOL.
Oh by the way for anyone following this post and planning to get a license, you will have to take your rabbit to a vet. I found out that is not so easy. Very few vets treat rabbits, but if you go to that http://www.rabbit.org web site you'll be able to find a list of vets by state.
Has anybody been caught. I hear a lot of people that the bunny patrol is out all over the use. What a surprise the gov't needs to get money, and I hear there are some very crazy rules you have to agree to when you get the license!
I have a buddy in South Carolina that at one point used an advertisement about having a rabbit, and sure enough, he got a phone call which he thought was a booking, but the lady started questioning about his rabbit, and after a few more questions, she asked if he had a license for the rabbit, and from there it went downhill on the conversation. She was with an agency that dealt with that sort of thing and gave him a warning that he'd better have a license or he would get fined if he was caught. He since has changed his advertisement and advertisement photo.

-Alpha
Hey Alpha, glad to hear you chime in. I was one of those that was caught. but it wasnt a bad experience at all. unknowingly, the inspector was sitting in the audience, enjoying the show, she even complimented the program and its educational value. She made it known that she was with the USDA immediately, and was very kind. She asked if the Rabbit was licensed, and I stated that" licensed, heck he cant even drive". I got a chuckle //// then the explanation. she was very kind and showed me the paperwork that we would need to get started. We only had a few days left at the fair so I asked her if that meant that we would need to take the Rabbit out of the show for know. Then in a casual way, she let me know that she doubts she would be out to inspect any more due to her schedule, so maybe I could finish up the fair dates. BUT..... make sure it gets done!!!! we finished up the dates, and I immediately followed up with the process of licensing. Each year we make that Particular fair, she always shows up for a visit BEFORE the fair opens, does her inspections, we have a great working relationship. Be kind to your Inspectors and they will be kind and helpful to you. Alpha in your friends case, he would only have issues if it was a very public performance, or,,, if he was tricked into doing a private show for the agent. I doubt the agent would Bust a birthday party, shoot teargas in and advance on the magician,,,,LOL. But the good part is he was forewarned. give me a shout alpha, I want to burn a shoe....LOL.
I'm just wondering, does one bring their Bunny license to the shows they do? Also, I guess, since I never do shows outside of a 50 mile radius from where I live I would only have 1 inspector and of course they would know I have a license. Is this correct?

Chris
If you hear about license requirements being set up for the hookbills, pls let me know. We take excellent care of our birds and the only one I use in a show right now is Sunny the Cockatiel, and him maybe a few times a year.

Still, you want to be in compliance. Its a warm fuzzy feeling if nothing else. The rules do exist for a reason.
Wizardpa. yes you must keep your records with you, If you are at home with your animal, then papers should be at home for review in case of a visit. If you are on the road, even if just for that 30 minute private visit, then paperwork needs to travel with the animal at all times and all locations for review in case of a visit. As far as the 50 mile radius, You more than likely would have the same inspector for that region. I am guessing once you explain your situation to them, ... once they do the first inspection and all goes well, if they understand that your bookings will be all close to home, then he may want a performance schedule. This would be hard to do since you may get some spur of the moment bookings, They will understand this. So the key is, send in a schedule of when you can have records of schedule, then in case of a surprise visit, have the paperwork with you any way. So it is not like you are trying to get away with anything. Once your inspector hears what you are doing, they are going to think,,, WHAT.. JUST ONE RABBIT TO INSPECT???? these guys are used to doing Sanctuaries with Big Cats, Mammals, Etc. an individual with A circus. or sanctuary... My Inspoector thinks it is a bit silly that he has to come check out one rabbit, but we both go thru the motions. So the key is, keep papers with you and the animal, try your best to give them a schedule, and if you can't... don't sweat it, these folks will work with you and your 2 rabbits

Posted: Apr 2, 2011 9:43pm
Cybercat, They tell me it will be possibly years before any sort of rules to follow will be organized for the hookbills. This is just from the USDA. not sure about any other organization. But I understand your point, It is not like the USDA is getting rich from this, they only charge me 40 bucks all together for the year, and that covers up to 4 animals or more under that one license, so I figure 10 bucks a rabbit, cant beat that, Not like the government is going to helpcorrect our National debt with this funding...LOL. And you are also correct to have pride in provising great care for our animal family, they should be treated right to begin with, so licensing should not be an issue but a blessing to show that you are up to organized standards. And those standards are meant to help that critter be comfortable and live long and prosper. I like your attitude.
Keeping anyone interested in the licensing process, I received info from the USDA today. It is notice that they received my application and that my inspector will be contacting me soon to set up my first prelicense inspection.
I also received some more forms, APHIS form 7019, record of animals on hand, and APHIS form 7020, record of acquisition, disposition, or transit of animals.
I'm at this point in the licensing process after exactly 2 weeks after my first phone call to the USDA.

Posted: Apr 7, 2011 4:28pm
For anyone following this, I got a call from my inspector today. He said that if the Government shuts down, then he will not be able to inspect me until Republicans and Democrats agree on the budget.
Gee, and I thought I might break a record getting my license faster then anyone ever.
Wizardpa - I am laughing at what you said! Guess the rates just went up! *LOL* Republicans and Democrats agree? You may be waiting a LONG time! *LOL* Really, laughing at your post.

-Alpha
Yea Alpha, you know what? I better check to see just how long do rabbits live. They both just might not live long enough for me to get my license, Republicans and Democrats agreeing, Ha!

Whenever I tell anyone I need a license to produce a rabbit in a magic show, no one believes me. There is no wonder we are in debt.
I have had people after a bday show ask "so where is the rabbit?" and when I tell them that there are laws now in effect that require the production of a rabbit, theirs mouth's just drop open. They understand, and are taken back at the absurd laws there are. Same with my colored doves (past). They are white again, for now, only because of questions and the law in a neighboring state that does not allow for that kind of thing, and if I travel plenty through that state. Even transporting an animal of not a natural color (dog, rabbits, etc.) is against the law, so, would rather not risk the hassle. Fun stuff, huh? *smile*

-Alpha
Record of acquisition, this is the form I was telling you about pa. Basically give them an idea of where you got him from, then if he croaks, when did he croak, and where did he get disposed. Wild stuff for a magic rabbit. I think I am going to start pulling politicians out of my hat. keep us posted
OK, I'm getting my inspection this Wednesday. Just a little over 3 weeks since I made my original phone call to the USDA.
I will be in shock if I do not pass this Wednesday. As far as I know I have everything ready.

Chris
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Apr 11, 2011 09:51PM)
Excellent
Yea! I passed my inspection. I'll probably receive my license next week. I gave my inspector my $30 check and he will send the paperwork off to where it needs to go. If anyone needs their license super fast then you can over night the inspection report to where it needs to go.
I must say the whole process was very painless. First off, I can not see anyone housing their rabbits in an unhealthy environment to begin with. Next, the $40 per year fee should not be a reason not to get your license.
I can see someone not knowing about the law to begin with. But once you know, get a license.
As a word of warning though. Do not ask for a packet and not go through the process of getting a license.
You are pretty much telling the USDA that you use a rabbit in your show and have decided not to get a license.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Apr 13, 2011 04:24PM)
Congratulations my friend, you are official. Glad you are on board with the licensing, It is a good thing for both parties involved ( you and the Rabbit). Once your audience learns what you have done, this is a plus in their eyes as to how much you care for your animal family, Not saying that those that do not license don't, but this is a positive reinforcement of the fact that you do care. Also great to have this for when one is approached by anyone that is any sort of activist.If you explain the process to the activist (vet visit, housing conditions etc. ) They tend to backdown and support you a bit more.great job PA. I am proud for you today.
Thanks Chris, I am so grateful of your help and support. I hope to help others as well.

Once I actually have my license in hand, I'm going to put pictures of my rabbits on my web site and I'm going to also mention that I have a license for them.

I'm going to re-post videos I have, of performances of my bunnies on youtube.

I'm a little surprised that more people have not posted some sort of reply about this. I'm just guessing here, but I would think that most magicians that use rabbits in their show do not have a license.
Good for you! happy for you. I no longer use a rabbit in my shows. Once my rabbit passed, I just never got another pet rabbit. My daughters want one BAD (so if I did get one, it wouldn't be for show, just for them to have a pet), but its actually nice for me to carry less around during travel, and one less thing to worry about since I carry so many doves with me. I DO have an up-to-date vet statement that I carry with me for my doves, but I am happy right now without the rabbit. If I do get another pet rabbit for show, I will go the license route to be safe, but for now I'm content *smile*. Again, happy for you and now go public with the rabbit and smile big! *haha*

-Alpha
I must say that everyone from the USDA was extremely helpful. The entire process was easy.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Apr 13, 2011 06:51PM)
Send me links to the vids when you get them posted
Well I finally got everything the USDA requires to conform to the regulations and saved up the $10.00 from my allowance for the application fee.

I have an appointment to take my rabbitís in for his yearly physical; I sent in the application and now I will wait for my inspection; soon I will be able to use my rabbit for shows
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Apr 23, 2011 08:40PM)
Howie, Glad to hear you are taking the extra step, you wont regret it.
Yea! I'm legal now. I got my license yesterday. The whole process took only 5 weeks.
Thanks Chris,

My rabbit passed her physical and I am now waiting for a phone call from the FEDERAL GOVERMENT to schedule my inspection; in a few weeks I will have the obtained the same permit for my little 3 pound rabbit that Ringling Brothers Circus is required to obtain
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Apr 28, 2011 10:44PM)
Its crazy... I know, not like you are hauling around elephants and giraffes or tigers. But none the less, you and your Rabbit will be happy healthy, and my goodness, you can sure let folks know you are so proud of the care you give to your rabbit that you are now licensed with her. Your clients will appreciate it. shows that you are a true caregiver. Good job, keep us posted.
I passed the inspection with flying colors; now I wait for the permit to come in the mail and Iím legal to use my rabbit in my routine; it is quite easy to obtain the permit and will save a hefty fine if caught
Congratulations Buzz!

My oldest bunny now wants a license to drive a car.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (May 23, 2011 01:33PM)
Just got my renewal notice.... It is nice to get the reminder from them as well.
Chris, how far in advance did they send your renewal?
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (May 25, 2011 08:05PM)
Wiz, My date of renewal is July 20th got the notice May 20th, looks like a 2 month pre notice. It is a easy thing to forget once you have went thru the initial inspection, then you get busy with life.... So it is a Luxury for me to get this notice
Tropicalillusions

How much do they charge for a renewal?

[quote]
On 2011-05-23 07:01, wizardpa wrote:
Congratulations Buzz!

My oldest bunny now wants a license to drive a car.
[/quote]
wizardpa

Thank you
and as you know, I received my USDA permit

:gift: :bunny: :baby: :bigsmile: :dancing: :yippee: :banana: :bigdance: :sun: :bubbly: :comply: :question: :yippee:
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (May 29, 2011 04:48PM)
Howie diddot. It is the same as the original fee. $40 bucks and that covers up to 5 animals on the same license, So if you have the 2 rabbits then 40 bucks, all the way up to 5 rabbits, or 3 rabbits and 2 leopards, etc.
Tropicalillusions

Thanks for the information, I know the original permit price, I had not asked the renewal fee. I need to start saving up

Buzz
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (May 31, 2011 07:02PM)
No problem, always glad to help.
I have been licensed by the USDA for about five years, and unlike most of you posting, I think this is ridiculous. I was "busted" at a library show, because the inspector saw a picture of me holding a rabbit in the newspaper. During my meet and greet session after the library show, the inspector interrupted a nice conversation with children and their parents by sticking a badge in my face. No, she couldn't wait until the kids had left. At my home. during the inspection, she wouldn't pass me, because my travel cage didn't have two sickers on it that said "live animals." She also said the sticker had to have an arrow pointing up, so we would know which way the cage should be carried (most people would use the handle).

I am sorry, but I do not enjoy the government being allowed to enter my home whenever they feel like knocking on the door. I also don't like having to fax my whereabouts to the government if I am gone more than two days. I also don't like having my busy schedule interrupted by an inspector, who takes 5 mins for the actual inspection, then needs 45 more to sit in my kitchen, hook up a laptop and printer, type slowly, talk my ear off, etc., all the while throwing my entire day off schedule.

I am glad to read so many of you love having these USDA agents coming to your homes. I am not one of them. And with our country going broke, I can't believe hassling magicians is still a priority.
Man Daz, sounds like you folks don't get along to well. Sorry you have such issues with the agents. Me and my inspector do coffee, lunch, and I learn a lot about care and handling for our pet. As far as visits and getting unwanted knocks on doors.... well. we usually get a call and set up the appointment, Our inspector understands it is just 1 rabbit for a magic show, and he himself thinks it is a bit crazy, but we work well together. Man Only in America, huh..... We always call with an updated schedule, and only once have we actually got an inspection while travelling on the road. At major fairs we always get an inspection due to the fact the Fairs have so many exhibits that should be licensed, so to be fair they check us all no matter how big or small. Once again, sorry to hear you and the agent don't get along. biut I am glad to hear of others getting along well. Wish you the best in your magic with animals.
Since I know Daz and Chris, I can say that neither are hard to get along with nor would ever hurt or harm an animal. It just shows what can happen when government gets the wrong people involved.

I would prefer to keep government out of my affairs also. Once they get involved, it is almost impossible to get rid of them. I wonder if they go around and hassle all the 4-H and FFA kids like they do magicians?

Richard
Richard. it is odd that they do not have to license the rabbit for an FFA exhibit, I asked about that. the fact that these rabbits would be raised for meat, would make you think health and welfare would really be monitered????? P.S. should have some time to shoot vid this weekend for you . chat soon.
Governmnet....don't try to figure it out. Just avoid it, endure it if you must.

Richard
Well said, you just avoided a tax audit with that one....LOL.
Dazmagic,

I am thinking by your post that you are being paid back by the Government because they caught you in the act of performing without a licensee.

By what your posting here, it sounds like when the inspector visits, you donít welcome him, or her with open arms; my first inspection lasted 15 minutes, he looked at my cages and then showed me where the rules were in the book, then said see you at renewal time.

It was a very pleasant visit
Wow ive been using a bunny for the past 8 years didn't know you had to have that. I never got targeted but nows a good time to get one
For me Blake, It was an easy process. It only took 4 weeks to get my license. What you do not want to do is call the USDA and not follow up on your license.
I am bidding on a gig and the group actually asked if I had a USDA permit to include with my bid

This is the results of working in San Francisco