(Close Window)
Topic: Great pop songs for children's parties
Message: Posted by: keeblem (Mar 26, 2011 12:44PM)
I've had a problem with my ipod and I've had to restore it to "original settings". Of course I've now lost my playlists and I can't restore it on my PC because a while back we bought a new lap top (the PC is in bits in the loft (attic!) and will remain there until my wife and I have passed on and one of our children will have to sort it out!)

So now I've got to create new playlists (just as well as they were a little out of date). Any recommendations for pop songs that you feel go down well at children's parties? Any age group as I perform for all ages and it all has to be replaced!

In the past I've found the Pop Party series a good resourse.


Message: Posted by: Potty the Pirate (Mar 26, 2011 01:27PM)
Yes, the Pop Party series is very good. I have a "kids' favourite songs" playlist, that includes "Who Let the Dogs Out", "Barbie Girl", "10/10", "Fast Food Song", "Cheeky Song" "Don't Call me Baby", "Hot Hot Hot", "We No Speak Americano", as well as Abba, McFly, and other popular kids' groups. I'm also interested in this, as I've recently included a disco in my advertising. Of course, you also need all the popular dances like "Superman", "Hokey Cokey", "Cha Cha Slide", and others. A good mix of modern classics, as well as classics from the 70s and 80s is essential, as many kids have musical influences from their parents.
I must get "Rolerblading", and some Adele too, keeping up with the popular stuff is vital if you're offering a disco package.
Any more ideas?
By the way, I think it's a great idea to subscribe to an online backup service, so that you never lose your files again. This is high on my priority list, in fact I'll probably sort that out on Monday!
Message: Posted by: John Breeds (Mar 26, 2011 02:32PM)

I always kept a playlist back-up on a flash memory card.

In this way you could plug it into your ipod and instantly restore the playlist on site.

Back home on the PC you can easily update the card.

Message: Posted by: JamesinLA (Mar 26, 2011 02:47PM)
Having to rebuild my playlists but mostly remix my tracks would be a nightmare for me.

Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Mar 26, 2011 06:02PM)
Everybody please keep in mind that unless songs are royalty-free or in the public domain, you MUST pay a royalty in order to use them in performance.

I use music from MagicTracks and Opus One productions for my routines that are performed to music. These are royalty-free and VERY well done...written specifically for magic performance.

I believe both owners are also members here.
Message: Posted by: magic4children (Mar 27, 2011 05:36AM)
YMCA, the birdie song, Crazy Frog and Michal Jackson are big hits in my disco show. Take a look at my disco show-reel; let me know what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nPUUlrtcho
Message: Posted by: mike storz (Mar 27, 2011 06:48AM)
I, too, am interested in this. I also use Opus One on performances. I'm interested in good fun Pre show and after show music to play during set up and break down.

Mike :)
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (Mar 27, 2011 01:28PM)

I use a variety of Arthur Stead's cds for pre-show and specific tricks.

Jim Kleefeld's "Sound Control" 15- minutes of silence between tracks

"YMCA", "Maccarana", "Char Char slide" for dances (Barrie James has also just written a "Fish and Chips" song)

Disney's "Following the Letter" and "Happy Birthday".

All venues in the UK have to have the appropriate licenses (Schools are currently covered by their LEAs)
Message: Posted by: Potty the Pirate (Mar 27, 2011 02:45PM)
Nearly every venue in the UK has a PRS license. So long as ALL your venues have this, or you only perform at private parties, you don't need a separate PRS license. On the other hand, if you provide outdoor discos or music at venues that don't have a PRS license, you'll no doubt hear from the PRS and need to establish whether or not you require such permissions.
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (Mar 27, 2011 04:16PM)
if I'm in doubt I use the royalty free songs (and make sure I've got the cd case in the car to prove I've paid for the royalty free music)

Recently a hair-dresser in Dudley got done for 1500 costs (and the license fee) as she didn't have a license. ;(
Message: Posted by: ColinDymond (Mar 28, 2011 02:32AM)
Hairdressers are different, it's their venue so they should have a licence. This part of the topic has been covered before but for all indoor venues liked village halls etc they will have a prs licence, if it's in a private home for a private party, you don't need one. if you are still in doubt give PRS a call.
As for a play list I try to keep all my music up to date with various dancable tune from the top 40.

BEWARE! If you are downloading tunes from itunes etc that lots of songs have a radio edit and that the originals are not suitable for a kids party! I play Forget You by Cee Lo Green, if I didn't have the radio edit I would be thrown out of the party!

Colin Dymond
Message: Posted by: Tod Todson (Mar 29, 2011 07:16PM)
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever come across what a royalty-fee is for an average song? What do radio stations and public venues pay?
Message: Posted by: Sam Sandler (Mar 29, 2011 10:14PM)
2 words
radio disney

Message: Posted by: Potty the Pirate (Mar 30, 2011 02:43AM)
As far as I'm aware, there is a scale of different fees, depending on venue, capacity and other factors. Also, the original artists' work is evaluated so that some receive greater royalties than others. I'm not entirely sure on these matters, so I did a quick google, and found something much more interesting:
So should torture music be rewarded by royalties? ....
:band: :heavymetal: :nana:
Message: Posted by: harris (Apr 1, 2011 07:03AM)
On my ukulele, I use a simple "Do Wop" chord progression, and make up lyrics based on the venue and kids names, or "yummy vegetables". (hmmm wasn't there a great thread on names somewhere around here?)

Example....Brocolli instead of Lolly Pop....