(Close Window)
Topic: Postcards by Hernan Macagno and Tango Magic
Has anyone gotten an early look at Postcards by Hernan Macagno and Tango Magic.

Demo link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAzY4ozBroo

Looks like most sites still have it as a pre-order item.

Description: Hernan Macagno, invented "Postcards", an amazing apparition of a deck of cards that will become a classic effect in a short time.

Imagine showing an envelope that contains a empty and flat bicycle box of cards, take out the flat box and show it very clearly, them fold the box and the cards appear inside the box (the set doesn't include the cards).

One of the best opening for your close up, parlor or stage act.
*Very easy to do
*Extremely visual
*Easy and quick set-up
*English - Spanish version DVD
*Gimmick included
I seen this on MJM magic. I would lke to see a demo live. Looks OK. Waiting for review myself on this one.
His left arm is too apparent, at least to me - especially at the table where his left arm is frozen until.

how about another "original" for a looksy

2006 - http://davidregal.com/products/sudden-deck-ii

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/sudden-deck-2-by-david-regal-p-3301.html
Good effect. Tango Magic has some clever stuff. Thanks for sharing.
There is a trick that I believe is in The Amazing Miracles of Shigeo Takagi by Richard Kaufman that is very similar in appearance and that is easy to make up yourself.
Cool, that book is 1990, just shows that magic for the most is nothing really new nowadays, just a spinoff or a brought back for a re-discovery for a new/next generation.
It looks like it's probably best suited for sitting down (for the posted version). Doesn't seem very practical for roving magicians.
Doesn't look to bad. Though, reminds me a little bit of Sudden Impact II by David Regal.

RNK
There are stand up versions that don't involve having to sit down. He covers many variations in the DVD. I really like this.

Devin
I had a chance to review this tonight during the Magic Marketplace product review show and here are some of my thoughts from the show...

Overall:

This is a well made gimmick that allows you to remove a flat box from an envelope, fold the box together and then produce a full deck of cards from the box.

Cons:

* This requires you to either be seated or be wearing a jacket in order to perform the necessary steps required to make the effect happen.
* While the gimmick is well made the price tag of $60.00 seems a bit high.

Pros:

* The DVD and gimmick are both nicely done. The DVD goes over everything you need to know and shows how to perform the deck in various ways.
* Once you open the package there is very little that you need to do before you can start performing this. The gimmick is easy to assemble and everything you need is included.

Final Thoughts:

If you are the kind of performer that finds yourself seated in a more formal setting then this might work for you. I would personally recommend Sudden Deck 2 from David Regal. It's perfect for the walkaround performer and is half the price of Postcards. The gimmick here does everything the ad says but the limitations and price tag didn't seem to outweigh the pros this time.

luke
Thanks Luke for the review!!!

How well would the gimmick hold over time and can and does the DVD show how to recreate the gimmick.
I own Sudden Deck 2 and I don't think I will trade it with Postcard because I stand at most of my performances. But, if you perform by sitting down then you should get Postcard because I find it difficult to use Sudden Deck while I am sitting down. Thus, both effects are good and they complement each other.
What is the reset like?
[quote]
On 2011-06-15 09:06, slyhand wrote:
What is the reset like?
[/quote]

It's on this weeks Wizard Product Review and they say about 15 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzRsM5deuDs
I've seen some say a jacket is needed and others saying it wasn't.
If a jacket is needed I think I would leave this one.
I believe this is actually based on "Appearing Deck" by Kuniyasu Fujiwara from "Five by Five" Japan by Kaufman (fantastic book BTW). In the original, you use a wallet instead of an envelope and it can be performed sitting or standing. I hope he gives credit- the original appears not to have been noticed much- I haven't seen anyone (but me) do this. $60 seems steep (though I don't know exactly how the Postcards gimmick is constructed) given that the original could be made for next to nothing with stuff lying around.
I agree with the comparison to "Appearing Deck," an under appreciated trick. I have seen this in person. A little more to the gimmick which is probably "handmade" and therfore little cleaner then "Appearing Deck" but too much at 60 bucks
Love the trick. Do it now regularly. Plays well with lay people. It's a nice and soft introduction to myself being a magician, which fits my style perfectly.
I like the look of this, it's totally visual
Looking forward to hearing more about pocket space requirements and the trade off for not wearing a jacket. Now that it has been on WPR, I imagine sales will increase and we may have an opportunity to hear more about performing this effect. If anyone can comment on the above that would be great.
Just got this and have found that the gimmicks are not strong enough to do what they are suppose to do - spoke to another magician who has bought this and he has found this the case too.

Although I can resolve the matter - for this amount of knicker/wonga/cash I spent on it, I expect not to finish off the job!

Has anyone else found this is a problem for them?

As for the effect - it really is a nice gimmick (barring the above problem) and will try this out at tomorrows gig
Received this today and have to say that I'm extremely happy with it.

I'm unaware of the origins of the trick but, for me, Hernan's POSTCARDS is fantastic.

It's perfect for strolling and certainly doesn't need a table - if you can perform a David Stone style card box appearance then you've nothing to worry about.

In fairness I haven't worked it yet but have been playing with it for the last few hours, which has prompted this post.

I envisage walking up to a small group at a gig - introducing myself - and then asking someone to take out the contents of the envelope I remove from my inside pocket.

There could be a few items in the envelope which can make up your act - a business card etc. Then 'Bammo'! You perform postcards.

Very easy to perform, quickish reset (if you include the other stuff in the envelope) and visually stunning.

Definitely one of my best purchases in a looong time!

I didn't have any gimmick problems at all. Maybe I was lucky?

Pre-performance rating 9 out of 10.

I'm deducting one point as I found the explanation DVD slightly frustrating. I had to keep going back to understand which parts of the gimmick went where. Not a major problem in fairness.

808, thanks for your thoughts. I've been toying with picking this up and have a good idea of what I'll be getting. I like the plot, which previously caused me to buy Paul Harris's "Screwed Deck." I wound up selling that for one reason that I never read anyone discuss: you can't fit an entire deck into the gimmick. You have to take out a few cards. Given that "Diplopia" is a favorite effect, that was a problem.

I've been curious about the various comments about needing to wear a jacket, but if I understand what you're saying correctly, you just start with everything in play immediately, right?
Bugjack,

PM'ed you.

This is brilliant! Buy it!
[quote]

It's on this weeks Wizard Product Review and they say about 15 seconds.

[/quote]

Saw the review from "Wizard Product Review" by Craig Petty & David Penn, they gave it WORKER of the week. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/worldmagicshop#p/u/1/lzRsM5deuDs
From watching the demo alone I must say this a great way to introduce a deck of cards...actually one of the best looking ways! :)

I agree with rklew64 about some apparent handling in the demo which, however, is only obvious to us magicians and probably even only after watching the demo several times, so no issue in real world situations, imho! Can't comment on the gimmick's strength and price/quality relation but basically I find the envelope idea very appealing!
Looks really interesting. But they sell it in Germany for ~60...
Im not sure if it`s worth it.
[quote]
On 2011-06-16 19:57, trickychris wrote:
Just got this and have found that the gimmicks are not strong enough to do what they are suppose to do - spoke to another magician who has bought this and he has found this the case too.

Although I can resolve the matter - for this amount of knicker/wonga/cash I spent on it, I expect not to finish off the job!

Has anyone else found this is a problem for them?

As for the effect - it really is a nice gimmick (barring the above problem) and will try this out at tomorrows gig
[/quote]

I had the same problem. The gimmicks are not strong enough to make the mechanism reliable. At $60 for a gimmicked card box, I expect perfection. Or at least rock solid reliability.