(Close Window)
Topic: Wizard Product Review 46 - 6-4-2011: (Dresscode, PSI Poker, Starlight, International Pocket Change)
New episode is up:

Link to show - [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glqqibAjxD0]Click Here![/url]
I don't own any of these (so I'm not sure if I get to vote or not).
Based on video of the effects, I've got to vote for Dresscode. International pocket change looks great though; I'm sure I'd actually perform it more often. But Dresscode takes my vote.
Although I haven't seen the effect, pocket change sounds very cool. Ill have to see a demo of the effect before I make my vote. Tbh psi poker just confused me but agree that poker players might like this. I actually really liked starlight for some reason but could the card when examined by spectators be held up to the light again without revealing what just happened? Dresscode looks great and would probably suit me. Its a tough one to decide which is the best product this week! :P
Holy c**p,a swe shift with a phone and wallet,priceless!
Anybody else see the irony in Craig talking about dresscode while wearing *that* jumper! ;)

Not sure about which is worker of the week but Elliot's trick is Dad/Uncle-Magic of the week.
International Pocket Change is a bit expensive for a coin in pocket prediction. Also can't see how quickly you can set the gimmick in demo video.

PSI Poker is for poker players only. Not my type.

I can't just believe Craig couldn't work Starlight out.

I liked dresscode, I can use that if I wear shirts in the summer. That's my worker of the week!!

And please don't wake up Craig & David just for the show.. David couldn't even open his eyes there.. :)
Elliot looked like such a nice guy!!!
My problem with PSI Poker is that it is quite off in terms of the dealing procedure. I understand poker "themed" tricks, but since this tries very hard to be exact, it doesn't sit well with me for some reason. In reality, you deal two cards to each player, burn one card followed by the flop, burn another card followed by the turn, then burn one more followed by the river. I think this would work better on an audience that has a little knowledge of poker but doesn't actually play.
PSI Poker... yikes.

Not good for someone who doesn't understand poker, and not good for someone who does.

Not sure who this is geared towards.
Either way....I [i][b]desperately[/b][/i] want to play poker with Craig and David! [img]http://www.bonsaichat.net/gallery/data/506/rofl3.gif[/img]
Now I'm sure: PSI Poker really sucks. Thanks for the demo guys !
[quote]
On 2011-04-06 18:18, fvdbeek wrote:
Now I'm sure: PSI Poker really sucks. Thanks for the demo guys !
[/quote]

I Agree.
[quote]
On 2011-04-06 13:14, Magicsquared wrote:
PSI Poker... yikes.

Not good for someone who doesn't understand poker, and not good for someone who does.

[/quote]
Ditto.

Sure like the t-shirt switch and pocket change effect. Each should share the worker of the week. Sure a routine could be figured out with them combined.
Look at John Bannons Power of Poker for an excellent poker routine. Easy to follow and you can even have a instruction card to show ranks of the different hands.
Didn't care to much for the sarcasm and condescendence toward that fellow at the end. Reminded me of something high schools kids would do if they had a video camera. If you are professional magicians be professional at all times, especially in front of the camera. Just not cool.
[quote]
On 2011-04-06 10:10, Korhan wrote:
I can't just believe Craig couldn't work Starlight out.
[/quote]
His dumbfounded/amazed schtick is starting to rival that of Jon from the L&L videos. :P
[quote]
On 2011-04-06 13:14, Magicsquared wrote:
PSI Poker... yikes.

[/quote]

Exactly. There are no "points" in poker and the dealing procedure would look extremely strange and unfamiliar to anyone with more than passing knowledge of poker. Burn three cards in a row and then no more? Huh? Dave's comment is right on target -- it just seems as though you're dealing cards out until they match your prediction, and it will seem even more so to anyone that understands poker.
Totally agree with all the comments here about PSI Poker... those who know nothing about poker will be lost, and those who do will think you have no idea what you're on about.
I think going by the clips dresscode should win worker of the week.As for craig looking shocked by the trick starlight he's not the greatest actor ha ha I've also seen him on other wizard product reviews.he either doesn't knopw much about magic or he's doing it for the camera.This may sound harsh but I don't mean it to be just my opinion.Going by the clip of star light I presume it works like the old hofzinser see thru card.So maybe the info is seen when held up to the light.And then I seen the name of the trick and that sounds even more like I could be right unless you where joking and you where sending it up because you thought it a bad trick.
Craig has stated multiple times that his reactions are genuine when he sees things. These guys have NO problem trashing something (and even allowing someone to set it on fire and videotape it) when they don't like an effect. If they don't like it, they're not going to try to hype it and sell you on it.
He's not acting.
[quote]Didn't care to much for the sarcasm and condescendence toward that fellow at the end. Reminded me of something high schools kids would do if they had a video camera. If you are professional magicians be professional at all times, especially in front of the camera. Just not cool. [/quote]

I was thouroughly confused by that segment because It didn't occur to me that they would do that to some one.

I hope that is not what was going on but It sure looks like it.
It was clear that neither Craig nor Dave intended to add Psi-Poker to their own acts. It appears that Craig's relatively high mark was based on his own lack of knowledge of poker and his assumption that people who understood the game would be impressed at how closely it followed the rules of Poker. Unfortunately, that assumption is unwarranted because it doesn't.

My vote for WotW goes to International Pocket Change. While I am a big fan of Dresscode and think it is awesome at the right place and time, the clothing/style requirements just aren't going to work for most professional performers, so I think its "worker" potential is limited. Not so with IPC.

I too was disappointed with the closing segment. While I could understand Craig and Dave finding the encounter amusing at first, it grew uncomfortable to watch as they strung him along until it was quite clear they were making fun of him. They've taken issue with how other performers treat people on the WPR. If you're going to do that, you need to walk the walk.
I’ll have to admit that I thought Craig’s reaction to Starlight was a tad odd. Mind you, I’m not saying that it was fake, but it certainly would not be the norm for this most [b][i]obvious[/i][/b] trick. I might very well be wrong in my assumption here, but this simply looks like some type of variation on the Hofzinser Transparent Card which is older than St. Peter! In my humble opinion, the first thing a person would do is to do the exact same thing that the other person did (in this case John) and to also hold it up to a light and try to see what he (John) did! Of course when that happens the trick is blown as he (Craig) would have also seen the 7 of Hearts. I remember years ago when I used to make gaffed card’s professionally that one person wanted me to make a few of these cards, but to have the name of [b]Houdini[/b] appear on the card when it was held before a candle.

I was going to post about this yesterday, but I first wanted to watch the demo for it, which I just did today. Another demo that is [i]totally[/i] misleading. Obviously the person who was asked to look at the card and reveal the card chosen by the other person was a stooge as he was never asked to hold the card up to a light source (which you MUST do), or for that matter, never told to do anything, and yet he named the card! Nor, does it ever say in the description of this trick that the card is held up to a light, but that the chosen assistant merely glances at the card and is then able to reveal the chosen card. God....demo’s like this [i][b]really[/b][/i] tick me off! :evil:

Don’t get me wrong in that I feel the Hofzinser Transparent Card no longer has a place in magic as it certainly does. I’m simply taking issue with this particular handling of it as it would only be natural for the spectator, when given the opportunity to examine the card, that he or she would do the [i][b]exact[/b][/i] same thing that the other person was instructed to do, and hold it up to a light! Also, if I’m right, the same card must always be forced to match the gimmicked card. Obviously, in my opinion, this is a two thumbs down trick and should by no means even be given the slightest consideration for the WOTW. However, if by chance I’m wrong (and it certainly wouldn’t be the first time) in my assumption that this is simply a variation on the Hofzinser Transparent card by all means please let me know. ;)
[quote]
On 2011-04-07 12:38, gaffed wrote:
I’ll have to admit that I thought Craig’s reaction to Starlight was a tad odd. Mind you, I’m not saying that it was fake, but it certainly would not be the norm for this most [b][i]obvious[/i][/b] trick. I might very well be wrong in my assumption here, but this simply looks like some type of variation on the Hofzinser Transparent Card which is older than St. Peter! In my humble opinion, the first thing a person would do is to do the exact same thing that the other person did (in this case John) and to also hold it up to a light and try to see what he (John) did! Of course when that happens the trick is blown as he (Craig) would have also seen the 7 of Hearts. I remember years ago when I used to make gaffed card’s professionally that one person wanted me to make a few of these cards, but to have the name of [b]Houdini[/b] appear on the card when it was held before a candle.

I was going to post about this yesterday, but I first wanted to watch the demo for it, which I just did today. Another demo that is [i]totally[/i] misleading. Obviously the person who was asked to look at the card and reveal the card chosen by the other person was a stooge as he was never asked to hold the card up to a light source (which you MUST do), or for that matter, never told to do anything, and yet he named the card! Nor, does it ever say in the description of this trick that the card is held up to a light, but that the chosen assistant merely glances at the card and is then able to reveal the chosen card. God....demo’s like this [i][b]really[/b][/i] tick me off! :evil:

Don’t get me wrong in that I feel the Hofzinser Transparent Card no longer has a place in magic as it certainly does. I’m simply taking issue with this particular handling of it as it would only be natural for the spectator, when given the opportunity to examine the card, that he or she would do the [i][b]exact[/b][/i] same thing that the other person was instructed to do, and hold it up to a light! Also, if I’m right, the same card must always be forced to match the gimmicked card. Obviously, in my opinion, this is a two thumbs down trick and should by no means even be given the slightest consideration for the WOTW. However, if by chance I’m wrong (and it certainly wouldn’t be the first time) in my assumption that this is simply a variation on the Hofzinser Transparent card by all means please let me know. ;)
[/quote] that's basically what I said above the see thru card I called it by hofzinser but I meant transparent card.
Starlight: That was my immediate reaction as well. I wanted him to hold the card up to the light... I don't know what happened there.

As for the ending, well, let's just say I've seen more respectful closers.
[quote]
On 2011-04-07 15:16, magic soul wrote:
that's basically what I said above the see thru card I called it by hofzinser but I meant transparent card.
[/quote]

You did indeed, and it seems as though I missed your post in reference to the Hofzinser card. With that said, it would seem more likely than not that Starlight is nothing more than that, and in my opinion, a pitiful use of it.
Craig and David, if you go to youtube, Calen has an awesome demo of Dresscode made for formal presentations. Unfortunately, no matter how much I post, no one can offer me more detailed instructions. To go from a dress shirt and tie to a new dress shirt and tie is incredible!
Wow...if the dress shirt and tie thing is possible, I may definitely look into that!
[quote]
On 2011-04-07 16:58, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Wow...if the dress shirt and tie thing is possible, I may definitely look into that!
[/quote]

[i]Supposedly[/i] it is although I still have no idea how. I've had it for a long time and never used it as I don't wear t-shirts with an over shirt. Being 64 I just don't find it quite appropriate, for me at least, to dress like that. If I remember correctly is that Calen said he would be putting up instructions on how this can be done with a dress shirt and tie a [i]long[/i] time ago (which is why I purchased it), but so far.....nothing. I just keep forgetting to put mine up for sale. Other than that, I'll have to admit that it is a very strong looking effect, but unfortunately just not for me.
Hmm...that's not good news. I watched the video and literally said "wow!" out loud when he turned back around, but if it's not practical or instructions haven't been provided I wouldn't be interested. I almost always perform in a suit and tie so the t-shirt aspect wasn't as usable for me (interesting, but not fitting for the situations I work in.)
[quote]
On 2011-04-07 05:39, prestopresto wrote:
[quote]Didn't care to much for the sarcasm and condescendence toward that fellow at the end. Reminded me of something high schools kids would do if they had a video camera. If you are professional magicians be professional at all times, especially in front of the camera. Just not cool. [/quote]

I was thouroughly confused by that segment because It didn't occur to me that they would do that to some one.

[/quote]

Hi Guys,
I just thought that I would set the record straight. Elliot agreed to film that segment as a prank and we were going to release it on April 1st. David Penn is well known for his awesome April Fools pranks on friends and he does go to extreme lengths to obtain the required outcome. We had been dropping several hints on our media pages to promote this during March.

However, due to time constraints and other commitments, we were unable to get this up on April 1. Therefore we put it on the end of the show this week for a bit of light entertainment. By showing this lighthearted clip (which involved quite a few re-takes to generate the sequence required for the April Fool gag) we continue to create discussion within our community. We were going to award it WOW on 1st April just to see if you guys fell for it.

No Magicians or members of the public were harmed or had their feelings hurt during the fiming of this comedy sequence.

All the best
Jim
[quote]
On 2011-04-07 16:58, Andrew Zuber wrote:
[/quote]
If I'm not mistaken, there is a clip on Calen Morelli's youtube page that shows him magically changing his dress shirt and tie.

[quote]
On 2011-04-07 19:25, Jaz2005 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
Hi Guys,
I just thought that I would set the record straight. Elliot agreed to film that segment as a prank and we were going to release it on April 1st. David Penn is well known for his awesome April Fools pranks on friends and he does go to extreme lengths to obtain the required outcome. We had been dropping several hints on our media pages to promote this during March.

However, due to time constraints and other commitments, we were unable to get this up on April 1. Therefore we put it on the end of the show this week for a bit of light entertainment. By showing this lighthearted clip (which involved quite a few re-takes to generate the sequence required for the April Fool gag) we continue to create discussion within our community. We were going to award it WOW on 1st April just to see if you guys fell for it.

No Magicians or members of the public were harmed or had their feelings hurt during the fiming of this comedy sequence.

All the best
Jim
[/quote]
Good to hear that, sure fooled me.
Although I posted that I vote for Elliot's trick as WoW on Youtube. I did kinda feel bad after rewatching the clip.
I Don't see all the fuss about 'Calen'..... 'Dresscode' is not as 'Practical' as many think.. besides the 'Unmotivated' Turn About you must do.. in a professional Walk Around Gig.. you would expose it to the other parts of the venue.... plus the 'Bigger Size Shirts' one must wear.. and the way you are left after the effect
[quote]
On 2011-04-07 19:25, Jaz2005 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Hi Guys,

All the best
Jim
[/quote]

I'll take your word for it, but it looks like Elliot wasn't as in on the prank as you are leading us to believe.
Either that or Elliot is one d*mn good actor
Awesome episode as always! Just wish iTunes would be updated as regularly as before :( The last episode posted was Part 1 of Blackpool.
[quote]
On 2011-04-07 23:37, yin_howe wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, there is a clip on Calen Morelli's youtube page that shows him magically changing his dress shirt and tie.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5SAZpAwcSw&feature=related
It's interesting that in this episode we have one instance of them trying to pass off acting as reality (Craig's reaction to Starlight -- if he really didn't know what was going on there, he's completely unqualified to be offering reviews). And one instance of them trying to pass off reality as acting, (that weird thing at the end with Elliot -- if he really was "in on it" then he's the world's greatest actor).
I think you guys continue to do an awesome and authentic job with your review show. Thank you for striving to find your own original voice in the magic world and provide us with this service while trying to entertain us. NOT an easy job!

I do believe Craig when he gets fooled on the set and often wish that I could recapture that childlike suspension of disbelief when I watch magic these days. I was not offended by the April fools prank, but was more puzzled than anything else. Sometimes timing IS everything. Perhaps an April Fools banner would have helped.

My only real concern is that Craig is still wearing that durn patterned sweater that should be banned from the show! I was truly disappointed he didn't pull a quick change DRESSCODE on it into something more palatable! Lol!

Love ya guys, mean it!
In the shirt and tie dresscode I believe he ends with his shirt un-tucked, still looks cool, but I am not sure it meets the requirements for formal dress. I don't know if it is practical or effective to then proceed to tuck in your shirt by hand.
[quote]
On 2011-04-08 13:39, Xcath1 wrote:
In the shirt and tie dresscode I believe he ends with his shirt un-tucked, still looks cool, but I am not sure it meets the requirements for formal dress. I don't know if it is practical or effective to then proceed to tuck in your shirt by hand.
[/quote]

Yes, when I first saw this with the dress shirt and tie I have the distinct feeling that one would have to dress pretty sloppily! This includes having to un-tuck ones shirt, and I have serious doubts about having and hiding a tie and shirt with another tie and shirt. Bottom line, you would more likely than not end up looking like a slob.

As for the ending (which didn't seem to bother me quite as much as it did others) [i]supposedly[/i] being an April fools joke....I don't get it? Just exactly what was the "joke" supposed to be? Sounds to me more like back peddling, but perhaps I'm wrong seeing that the "joke" went [i]completely[/i] over this 'ol guys head! ;)
The ending didn't really bother me either. Maybe I'm just mean and get a kick out of stuff like that :P

Seriously, why would Craig fake a reaction? I'll say it again - these guys showed video of someone setting iFloat on FIRE WITH A BLOW TORCH. If they don't like your effect, they're not going to hype it.

I truly don't think it's in their best interest to hype something if they don't believe in it. When you sell a dud, it hurts your business, and it would damage their credibility as reviewers. Unless that too was an April Fool's joke....
Okay first things first let me set the record straight with regards to Starlight. I had no idea how it cued the information to John. Yes in hindsight I should have held it up to the light but I didn't. I had 3 hours sleep the night before and had been reviewing magic since 6am. 

If something fools me I'm not like most magicians - I have no problem showing I'm fooled. Even though I'm fairly knowledgeable I do not know everything and had never seen this principle before. I knew it cued information but I didn't know how. When your sitting in front of a camera in a recording studio you tend to miss things sometimes. If anyone doesn't believe me that's fine but I think I've proved enough times on the show that we don't over hype things and if somethings not good we say so. 

Now let me address your comments Magicsquared. I'm used to people not liking myself and Dave Penn since starting the WPR. For every hundred emails I receive thanking me for the show I get someone telling me I suck. However you stated if I was fooled by Starlight I am unqualified to review magic. Let me tell you why I am qualified IMO - 

I have been a professional for 10 years. 

I have been into magic for nearly 20 years

I have released over 20 products, DVDs and books to the magic community. Many of these were very good sellers including Chop which is currently selling out all over the World. 

I am one of a handful of performers who were invited straight into the Inner Magic Circle with a Silver Star. 

I have lectured all over the uk including the magic circle headquarters. 

I co-run one of the largest Childrens entertainment companies in the UK dealing with over 1500 bookings a year

My company holds over 30 residencies in the UK and is a nominated supplier to over 10 restaurant chains. 

I was invited to compete at Blackpool in the close up competition twice in a row. 

Many top magicians have commented favourably in my work including Doc Eason, Thom Peterson, Greg Wilson, Pat Page, Eric Jones, Josh Jay and Rune Klan. 

Most importantly I'm not afraid to say when I'm fooled unlike most magicians who don't want to look stupid. 

But I don't care about any of that stuff. My favourite thing in the world is filming the WPR and I'm glad so many people find it useful. If you think I shouldn't be doing this cause a card trick fooled me maybe you should tell me what I need to do to be better qualified. After all you seem to know everything. 

Craig
Message: Posted by: james_thecanadian_magician (Apr 8, 2011 03:12PM)
Heck, I was fooled by Starlight.
@ Craig Hell, I‘ve been fooled by more obvious things! I hate to admit it, but just about two months ago I was taken in by a TT! lol I guess I was just surprised that you didn’t do exactly as John did and hold the card up to a light source also, (something I feel most people would naturally do) which by the way, is the reason I so strongly dislike this particular trick.

I never noticed the comment that if you were fooled by Starlight that you have no business reviewing magic tricks. Yikes....that’s a tad strong and harsh to say the least! For what it’s worth, keep up the good work. There is no way on earth that you, or [i]anyone[/i] for that matter, can please everyone. I occasionally disagree with you and David on a few things, but that certainly doesn’t mean that I still don’t look forward to your and David’s input and reviews. If we all agreed, and or reacted the same way on everything this would indeed be a very boring world.

P.S. If you’re ever in Las Vegas……. [i][b]STAY AWAY FROM THE POKER TABLES![/b][/i] ;)
Craig,

I never said I didn't like you. I don't have an issue with your show. I said you're a bad actor.

The only other option is that you were fooled by a gimmick that is described with its own chapter in Hofzinser's Card Conjuring. (Not some new application of that gimmick -- just that gimmick used in the most basic way.) And that you don't have the common sense to hold something up to the light after watching someone else being told to hold it up to the light, them holding it up to the light for 10 seconds, and them receiving information by holding it up to the light.

So if your knowledge of magical history is less than mine (and mine is pretty slight). And you lack the common sense of the typical person I perform for, then you're not qualified to review magic FOR MY PURPOSES.
I'm not sure I buy the business about the April fools joke but so be it.
Being rather blunt there, squared...what do you expect? Someone who knows every gimmick, sleight and routine ever created, and should be able to access that knowledge 24 hours a day, even with a lack of sleep? When did being tired (and yet still filming the show on the day of a gig) equate to someone not having common sense? Are you telling me you've never dropped something? Gee, it's gravity. There are, like, a million books on it. I can't believe you didn't have the common sense to hold onto it tighter. Remind me to never let you hold anything of mine.

Apparently a vast amount of experience in magic, as well as doing the show and releasing entire DVDs and lectures for free to the public, still doesn't satisfy some people.
Andrew,

Your reading comprehension is stellar. Clearly when I said I thought he should be familiar with a gimmicked card that has been around 100+ years that was invented by one of the most important figures in magic history and had a chapter devoted to it in one of the classic texts of magic, I was insinuating that he should know "every gimmick, sleight and routine ever created, and should be able to access that knowledge 24 hours a day, even with a lack of sleep."

I don't want to argue the point, because I don't really care that much, if this seems like a genuine reaction to you:

http://www.youtube.com/user/worldmagicshop#t=15m45s

then there's nothing I can say that's going to change that.
The one thing Iw as surprised Craig didn't do was hold the queen up to the light, since you told John to do to that.

Still, I have to believe that had he done that, the gimmick was no longer in play.
[quote]
On 2011-04-08 19:55, Magicsquared wrote:
Andrew,

Your reading comprehension is stellar. Clearly when I said I thought he should be familiar with a gimmicked card that has been around 100+ years that was invented by one of the most important figures in magic history and had a chapter devoted to it in one of the classic texts of magic, I was insinuating that he should know "every gimmick, sleight and routine ever created, and should be able to access that knowledge 24 hours a day, even with a lack of sleep."

[/quote]

I might be mistaken, and I [i]hope[/i] I am, but I think that perhaps you meant that you were [i][b]not[/b][/i] insinuating that he (Craig) would, or should know every gimmick and or sleight that was ever created. After all....who could!! Well, except perhaps Harry Lorayne as he invented [b][i]everything[/i][/b]! ;)
Craig,

Please continue to do what you do. I appreciate the fact that when you are fooled you don't hold back your reaction. No magician is familiar with every principle. I think others have missed the fact that you were on camera and "hold it up to the light" might have sounded to you like a direction for the sake of the camera and you both stated that it was early.

It would be a bad thing if you became self concious about this sort of thing. It's great that we get to have direct input like this but you should probably ignore comments at both extremes. (ie "You're a God" as well as "You Suck").

Thanks for the great shows. Keep it up and have fun!
Craig,

I also want to say how much I enjoy your broadcasts.

The reason that people make negative comments is because you are now a target. The Wizard Product Review may now be the most important factor for reviews of magic products. Your opinions effect the sale and success of a product.

When you mentioned on one broadcast that 16,000 people view the show, well you are now the gold standard in reviewing. That is because you have created a valuable and well-produced series of shows.

Are you perfect? No. Have you provided a useful service for people like me who have limited funds and want to know what are the best products and will they fit my style of performing? Yes!

JB

I think people are being overly harsh on PSI Poker, a lot of that was Craig's handling of the effect. When they are discussing points they simply mean Card Values, You will win by 1. If their best card is a Jack, you have a Queen. If they have a Queen, you have a King. The advanced version of the effect allows the prediction to be card specific rather than generic. Rather than the prediction saying 'turn over for the card you needed' it will say 'turn over for the Eight you needed' for example. The advanced effect is handled in almost exactly the same way, it mostly requires more preparation before you start the effect.

My slight annoyance with the ebook is that it requires knowledge of particular magic principle, and assumes you know it. Not hard to find by any means, but 1 extra page to the book could have covered the basic requirement and made the document self contained. Other than that the book is clear and easy to follow.
I agree on PSI Poker, however the "points" thing really confused me. Is the idea of points actually written in the book? I've played poker in Vegas for years, I spend half my time at a poker table whenever I go. I've never in my life heard anyone mention points in a poker game.
[quote]
On 2011-04-09 10:02, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I agree on PSI Poker, however the "points" thing really confused me. Is the idea of points actually written in the book? I've played poker in Vegas for years, I spend half my time at a poker table whenever I go. I've never in my life heard anyone mention points in a poker game.
[/quote]

Seeing that Craig and David knew nothing about poker, I thought that perhaps using the term "points" was the only way he could explain a winning hand to David. I’m not much of a gambler and never really have been although I’ve played my share of poker years ago. Not [i]once[/i] have I ever heard the term “points” in reference to poker. I would think that even those who don’t know all the nuances of poker, or for that matter not even having played the game would find the term “points” rather odd.
Alright, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I've picked up Dresscode. I REALLY want to make this work with the suit and tie. I'm gonna have to stare at it for awhile and contemplate the best way to make it happen. It also messes with my opening routine which I'll need to consider. It's a good DVD though - although I'm not too crazy about some of the forces he uses (like the soft drink...seemed quite sketchy to me.) That said I just bought it for the quick change aspect and I can really see it working in my venues!
[quote]
On 2011-04-09 12:57, Andrew Zuber wrote:

I've picked up Dresscode. I REALLY want to make this work with the suit and tie. I'm gonna have to stare at it for awhile and contemplate the best way to make it happen. It also messes with my opening routine which I'll need to consider. It's a good DVD though - although I'm not too crazy about some of the forces he uses (like the soft drink...seemed quite sketchy to me.) That said I just bought it for the quick change aspect and I can really see it working in my venues!
[/quote]

Let's hear how it works out. I honestly can't see it working without the neck area (tie) looking rather odd, but I might very well be wrong.
Hi
I'd like to say I enjoy the shows very much! Keep up the good work.
thanks
Ralph
[quote]
On 2011-04-09 14:22, gaffed wrote:
[quote]
Let's hear how it works out. I honestly can't see it working without the neck area (tie) looking rather odd, but I might very well be wrong.
[/quote]
Yeah, I'll make one up once I'm back in the states next week. I'm eager to try it out - but not eager enough to but another shirt and tie. I'm shipping too much magic crud home as it is :P

I'll report back on what I find.
I was going to buy the PSI Poker trick, but after all the negative reviews and descriptions of it being totally crappy, not a chance.
I don’t believe anyone ever referred to it as being “crappy”. I think that perhaps there is some confusion mixed in with a bit of discrepancy as to how the game of poker (in this case: Texas Hold’em) is played. Some, or it seems most on this thread seem to be basing their respective views on it based upon how Craig performed it for David. Both of whom by the way know nothing about poker, so it turned out to be one of those cases of the blind leading the blind, and something to keep in mind. Obviously, not the best of all scenarios! I’m not a gambler by any stretch of the imagination, and card manipulation is by far from my strongest points, so this effect is definitely not for me. However, you might possibly get a better perspective on it by reading [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=397908&forum=159]THIS THREAD[/url] which is solely dedicated to PSI Poker
It looks to me like a rick that will play very well, or very badly, depending on your audience and their familiarity with texas Holdem (which has been very popular in the US in gaming circles.)

I could see this killing in vegas and laying a giant egg in Millwaukee :)
[quote]
On 2011-04-10 14:06, gaffed wrote:
I don’t believe anyone ever referred to it as being “crappy”. I think that perhaps there is some confusion mixed in with a bit of discrepancy as to how the game of poker (in this case: Texas Hold’em) is played. Some, or it seems most on this thread seem to be basing their respective views on it based upon how Craig performed it for David. Both of whom by the way know nothing about poker, so it turned out to be one of those cases of the blind leading the blind, and something to keep in mind. Obviously, not the best of all scenarios! I’m not a gambler by any stretch of the imagination, and card manipulation is by far from my strongest points, so this effect is definitely not for me. However, you might possibly get a better perspective on it by reading [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=397908&forum=159]THIS THREAD[/url] which is solely dedicated to PSI Poker
[/quote]

I read that thread and then Tom Frame's review over at Genii and the comments there, and I'm even more confused. Over at Genii both Ben and Tom recommend not doing this for people intimate with Texas Hold 'Em because the procedures differ in order to make the trick work. So, like some others, I'm wondering who this is for. Why authoritatively demo something for people that's not really the way it's played? And why do a long dealing trick for someone not interested in the premise behind the dealing?
It sure looks like some guys in this thread are politely saying that Psi Poker is, if not crappy, then certainly not something a guy should consider purchasing.

Plus the Wizard Review guys are saying exactly the same thing.

Just my own take on it, but at some point we've got to listen to the reviews and ignore the guy trying to sell us the trick.
Guys trying to sell their tricks on magic boards will say anything to make the sale, and then tell you you're an "idiot", and that you don't understand magic if it's a total piece of unusable junk on delivery.
Actually Artie, the Wizard Review gave it a positive review. It's just that a lot of the viewers of the review weren't impressed. Ben Harris puts out great stuff but nothing is for every body. The thing I like about the Wizard Review is that you get to learn a lot about a trick beyond a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Between the ad copy, the reviews, and the comments people should have enough information to decide if this trick is for them or not.
Though you felt you had to defend yourself Craig most people on here know what great magician you are and most people buy tricks on yours and david's say so,myself included.
you were fooled by xray a while back and since then I purchased it(on your reaction) and fooled many others.

just keep up the good work you 2.

ps not too many great ratings pls your bankrupting me.
If its true that there are obvious discrepancies from the way TH is actually delat then I would tend to agree that's a weakness, since without a strong knowledge of TH this just isn't interesting.

To be fair that's also something that Craig and Dave made *very* clear to us that they couldn't really comment on themselves.
I’m in no way shape or form defending, and or saying that this (PSI Poker) is a good trick as I haven’t the faintest interest in it. It’s been [b][i]years[/i][/b] since I played any poker, and I’ve never played Texas Hold’em in my life albeit I’ve watched a few tournaments on T.V. as it’s a very popular game for the past several years or so. There was something right from the get go that bothered me about it when watching Craig perform it, but with all the laughs of neither of them knowing squat about poker I forgot what it was until I just recently watched it again.

The term “burning” a card is normally associated with Texas Hold’em and I’ve never seen it done with any other type of poker game. A card can be burned by the dealer before the next card is turned over. Emphasis on “card”, as in “singular” (ONE card). When Craig burned THREE cards right at the start I thought to myself; “What the hell is that all about….THREE cards?”, but then quickly forgot about it. Well, that is until I watched it again. Now, supposedly there is another version in which to use this effect (whatever it is), and also an “advanced” version to the poker effect. However there seems to be a major problem here and someone else more or less pointed out the same thing. If by chance you know nothing whatsoever about poker (Texas Hold’em), like Craig and David did; then what? It will be a total hodgepodge of nonsense followed by explanations from the magician that there should be no need for in ANY magic trick. Then on the other side of the coin; if one perhaps should know how to play Texas Hold’em, they’ll simply think to themselves; “What the hell is he doing?”, and or, “That is NOT how a hand of Texas Hold’em poker is dealt”.

Either way, it all seems a tad contrived and obviously not for me. Other than that, I have no idea what is contained in the instructions and perhaps it may all be thoroughly explained by Ben Harris, whom by the way, I have the [b][i]utmost[/i][/b] respect for. ;)
I have the effect, and the patter suggested by Ben Harris is to explain that this procedure is STANDARD in Texas Hold 'Em games -- even though anyone who actually plays Texas Hold 'Em will immediately know it isn't. Clearly, Ben recognizes that such an odd and contrived procedure must be motivated, but suggests motivating it in a way that will highlight it for poker players and strongly suggest the method. The "advanced" handling allows you to reveal the numerical value (not the suit) of the missing card, though the procedure is even more suspect and even Ben says he prefers the basic handling.
Dresscode looks like the WOTW... However although hi 9 Function dvd was fun to watch most if not all required to much set up to my liking...
WOTW?

WotW War of the Worlds (book by H.G. Wells)
WOTW Windows on the World (restaurant in the World Trade Center, New York)
WOTW Word of the Week
WOTW Women Of The World (website)
WOTW Way of the Warrior (video game)
WOTW Warriors of the World (online gaming group)
WOTW Worst of the Worst
WOTW Woodmen Of The World
WOTW ****** of the Week
WotW Writers of the Wind (website)
????
Uh Worker of the Week
[quote]
On 2011-04-12 14:48, paisa23 wrote:
Dresscode looks like the WOTW... However although hi 9 Function dvd was fun to watch most if not all required to much set up to my liking...
[/quote]

I'm a tad confused here? Just what is Hi 9 Function?? I don't recall seeing anything by that name on this weeks episode of Wizard Product Review. Other than that, I'm sure most here know what is meant by WOTW. ;)
I think he meant to type 'his' (Calen Morelli's) Function 9, which is the name of his latest DVD.
[quote]
On 2011-04-12 22:46, jtb wrote:
I think he meant to type 'his' (Calen Morelli's) Function 9, which is the name of his latest DVD.
[/quote]

Ah....OK. Obviously that connection to Calen's DVD just plain and simply flew over my head!
LOL no worries and my mistake, I was just kind of refering to the high praise of his DVD and Dresscode.
I agreed with Craig and Dave's raves of Function 9. Calen Morelli has an extraordinary creative mind and Dresscode can be a great worker under the correct circumstances.