(Close Window)
Topic: Worst dvd (or dvd's )s you've ever purchased...
There are so many dvd's out there, I know I have purchased some real gems as in horrible productions, bad edits, bad tricks etc. I think it would be fun (and get some laughs) out of hearing about some bad purchases and why they were so bad.
Glass Mirage dvd. Cool effect but I can't believe that when they filmed the whole video ( including the bonus features) they did not notice that the fire alarm needed a battery so you hear a "cherp" every 2 minutes or so - it is so annoying....
Nate Kranzo's Box Monster.

I thought there'd be a monster or something and there wasn't.
Pop Secret. Didn't even have a single performance on it.
X-Finger what A waste. lousy method and left dirty at the end.
The instuctional DVD for 'The Impossible Prediction Revolution' by Ed Magic.
A totally amateur, patronising, self-gratifying, badly produced waste of time and materials!!

Paul Mc.
[quote]
On 2011-04-15 17:59, Andi Peters wrote:

[/quote]

His newspaper tear video is horrendous
So many.... Specialy single trick DVD. But my worst is Revolution coin vanish by brad christian.....
Revolution is by Kevin Parker. Brad Christian only taught it.
The Corner Project by G
Geist Visual Comedian DVD
Pop Card by Steven and Michael Pignataro - a friend of mine had it... there are no words to describe how terrible this is.
[quote]
On 2011-05-02 23:36, mantel wrote:
Revolution is by Kevin Parker. Brad Christian only taught it.
[/quote]
thanks for the corection, I just remembered Brad perform that trick on the video......
[quote]
On 2011-05-04 10:16, Mind_Magic wrote:
[/quote]

I have almost bought that several times...
[quote]
On 2011-05-05 11:36, Gary Shelton wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-04 10:16, Mind_Magic wrote:
[/quote]

I have almost bought that several times...
[/quote]

Gary, save your money.
Buy onother magic stuff.
Any DVD that you instantly know it's a mere copy of the VHS release. No chapters or any real thought put into the production of the DVD. Just an attempt to get more mileage and $$$.
Michael Maxwells Incredible Magic at the Bar Volumes 1-6. I think I paid $1 each and right now that seems like a lot of money for these.
[quote]
On 2011-05-06 12:35, SmittyWitty wrote:
Any DVD that you instantly know it's a mere copy of the VHS release. No chapters or any real thought put into the production of the DVD. Just an attempt to get more mileage and $$$.
[/quote]

What about Michael Ammar's Cups & Balls? Is that not a brilliant set?
I agree with Pop Card..great premise but awful execution. It wouldn't fool Helen Keller. Another bad dvd is Brian Geer's Heavy Hitters. It is just bad.
[quote]
On 2011-04-28 18:09, drphil wrote:
X-Finger what A waste. lousy method and left dirty at the end.
[/quote]

I agree---X Finger was one of the worst
Another vote for X Finger .. What were they thinking?...
With X Finger the video shows him performing to crowds on the street. Since you end dirty, tell me did no one in the crowd think of asking the right question....?
I'm pretty fortunate. I can't really think of any bad DVDs off hand, but as for actual effects? That's another story.
One more thing, IFloat:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12303
Thanks God I don't have it. if I buy this things, this is should be the worst......
(but, I don't think magician will buy this item, specially after they watch the demo video...)
see what Craig and David said about IFloat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQUNsn9lqRU
Mickey Oconners the ultimate clown.
[quote]
On 2011-05-03 21:40, j100taylor wrote:
The Corner Project by G
[/quote]

Yes. This was just bad. An expensive couple of coasters.
The corner project by G.
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 04:11, wally wrote:
Mickey Oconners the ultimate clown.
[/quote]

That sounds interesting! The ultimate CLOWN???
Don't confuse bad production values with bad magic. The magic on the video is great. You see him perform the trick live and obviously it works. But clearly, Nate does not give a crap about sexy production. However, I would trade bad production for good commercial magic any day.

[quote]
On 2011-04-29 07:16, tmoca wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-04-15 17:59, Andi Peters wrote:

[/quote]

His newspaper tear video is horrendous
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 16:19, in flames wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-03 21:40, j100taylor wrote:
The Corner Project by G
[/quote]

Yes. This was just bad. An expensive couple of coasters.
[/quote]

LOL.

What do you think of his other offerings. I bought Imagine against my better judgment because of rave reviews on Wizard Products but was disappointed. He's got another one out with a good looking card fold but that looks interesting but I won't be fooled again.
Wow! I think imagine is great! What don't you like about it?
Ninja by Brad Christian. Pop it in once and never did again.
[quote]
On 2011-05-24 12:55, Cameron Francis wrote:
Wow! I think imagine is great! What don't you like about it?
[/quote]

I think the adds were misleading. To me the method isn't subtle - just brute force. After all the hype I was expecting something more satisfying. Also I wasn't impressed with his performances where half of his presentation had to be bleeped.

I am probably biased - after wasting $60 bucks on the Corner Project garbage it would have taken a lot to impress. (PS if you want a review of that I am probably going to get bleeped myself).
Hmm. Well, I don't agree. I think it's a great effect. I don't see how it's brute force. I think it's clever and a worker. But to each his own.
Rice Papers.
I watched Kranzo's newspaper tear video and was so disgusted that I took it out and threw it in the trash can.
The same day I read this forum, I also got messaged on facebook from a fan telling me they love x-finger. Its interesting how polarized magician's reactions have been.
Complete Card Magic 1?
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Sep 2, 2011 04:02AM)
Michael Close Workers series. "just give me one of these" Got old fast. In fact, so fast, it seemed that the material on the program was old and stale as well. Because it was. I seen hundreds of bad DVD's but nothing put me off as much as this series.

You know bang for the buck you can not beat the pair up of Dave Forrest and Cameron Francis. Even though what they do is not my cup of tea since I work as a mystic and a mentalist but the DVDs have a certain quality I really like. The reason I am saying this is that a lot of those previous mentioned could stand to have a look at what these two minds are doing and have done. Who knows maybe they will and then they will see how it could be done with a bit of class.
I was playing with my youngest son's rattle. It is red on one side, and yellow on the other. I was perfoming the paddle move with it, and my mother inlaw was watching. She was absolutely blown away from what she was seeing. The rattle on both sides seemed to be yellow to her until I magically turned it red. I did this a few times because I was thinking to myself, "How can this be fooling her? It's the oldest trick in the book."

I learned something very valuable that day. You don't need to buy highly hyped effects to create magic. And, you don't need to be on Jay Sankey's newsletter to be a good magician.

Frozen is the worse DVD I purchased. Frozen was at first misleading customers through their ads and demo. Many bought Frozen do to a certain effect demonstrated in the demo. It turned out that you could not do what was shown in the demo. E was reluctant to change the ad, but to avoid legal action, they eventually re-edited the demo and ads. There was also a serious danger involved with Frozen which was never made clear before purchase. It is required by law to disclose any safety issue's or chemicals that maybe involved before purchase, not after purchase.

Remember, "Warning" by E. It was pulled from the shelves when parents threatned to sue E. However, Warning was not original by any means, and Dan Garcia didn't invent it either. E later gave out Warning as a free gift. Goes to show you how much they care doesn't it. Dangerous tricks that have no warnings before making a purchase are the worse tricks on the market. Those who produce them have no concerns about the safety of their customers until someone gets hurt, or threatned with a law suit.
The worst is the PK clip by magic makers, horrible trick.
[quote]
On 2011-09-02 05:02, MentalistCreationLab wrote:
Michael Close Workers series. "just give me one of these" Got old fast. In fact, so fast, it seemed that the material on the program was old and stale as well. Because it was. I seen hundreds of bad DVD's but nothing put me off as much as this series.
[/quote]

That's because you are a mentalist.
The Ultimate Card Through Window by Eric James. I have thought about selling it on ebay but I wouldn't want to rip anyone off!
Glad for the warning on Frozen. Almost bought it several times.
[quote]
On 2011-05-26 10:31, slyhand wrote:
Rice Papers.
[/quote]
Really, how comes?!
Everytime I get something from Elllusionist I am disappointed. Sadly to say, they usually still get me a couple times a year.
Step system by lee smith
[quote]
On 2011-10-13 17:30, Hondo88 wrote:
Step system by lee smith
[/quote]

That's a shame it's full of working material that has paid my bills and served me very well. Some of the routines are from great magicians who have also used the routines in their sets for years.

Do you not work for laymen? This has been very well receive

Can't please everyone I guess.

Lee.

Lee,
[quote]
On 2011-10-08 16:08, brehaut wrote:
Everytime I get something from Elllusionist I am disappointed. Sadly to say, they usually still get me a couple times a year.
[/quote]

I have very few one trick DVDs in my collection, but my favorite is Factory Sealed which is an Ellusionist offering. As a matter of fact, I need to dust that old chestnut off and start working it again.
[quote]
Step system by lee smith
[/quote]

Hondo are we on about the same disc as I have Step System 1 & 2 and I would put them on my top 5 list along with M Ammar's Easy Card Magic series and J McBride's sries, the psychology on the Step System is worth the price of the disc and the tricks are very good to.

I cannot believe some of the discs some on here I use Imagine and stuff from Rice Papers so I can only think that these were included by magicians who do not like to practice and just want selfworking magic.

Ben.
[quote]
Step system by lee smith
[/quote]

Blimey O'Reilly!!!

Horses for different courses I suppose - and I'd rarely comment on folks' opinions - BUT I'm amazed The Step System features in this thread.

Hondo - Have you tried ANY of this material? It's singulary the most inspirational DVD set I've purchased in the past few years, and like Ben (above), I'd rate it in my top five too. Maybe higher!

I'd certainly be interested in your constructive criticism of it to substantiate your opinion.
[quote]
Step system by lee smith
[/quote]

The step System by Lee Smith how can you possibly say this is the worst DVD you've ever bought I was lucky to have seen lee preform some of this material at a wedding in Hichin about 3 years ago and the reactions he was getting were awesome yes Hondo some of this material isn't self working and you will need to work at it but but you cant really dismiss all the material on these DVDs.

These DVDS I rate as some of the BEST material that came out on DVD last year with GREAT and easy to understand instruction, he has KINDLY shared his vast knowledge and bread and butter material with you.

Lee don't be put off by these remarks its people like yourself that has moved magic out of the past keeping it fresh and entertaining

Best M
[quote]
On 2011-10-14 06:19, benmagic1 wrote:
[quote]
Step system by lee smith
[/quote]

Hondo are we on about the same disc as I have Step System 1 & 2 and I would put them on my top 5 list along with M Ammar's Easy Card Magic series and J McBride's sries, the psychology on the Step System is worth the price of the disc and the tricks are very good to.

I cannot believe some of the discs some on here I use Imagine and stuff from Rice Papers so I can only think that these were included by magicians who do not like to practice and just want selfworking magic.

Ben.
[/quote]

That is some high praise because I consider the ETMCM series and McBride's Art of Card Manipulation series some of my favorites. I'm going to have to look into the Step System DVDs, especially after with all of the posts defending it right after it was mentioned, haha.
[quote]
Step system by lee smith
[/quote]

Want to sell them?
[quote]
Step system by lee smith
[/quote]

Are you sure you're not confusing this with The Step System by Jane Fonda?
Thanks to everyone for their comments, it really means a lot. I am so glad so many people loved the project and got so much use from the routines. STEP SYSTEM was a best seller last year and is still selling well now. We as creators can only hope that others use the material the way we have after we put it out.

I don't usually get involved in theses types of discussions but I feel I must defend something that lots of hard work went into. I always make sure that I only release effects or routines that have been tried and tested in live settings many many times over and I know for FACT that they do what they say on the cover.

I think this thread really shows the different types of magician that are out there?

I must admit I was a bit shocked to see this project in this thread (as I am some of the other great material in the thread) I just think its harsh for somebody to say it's the worst purchase they have made when I pay my bills and earn a comfortable living from much of the material. Some of it has come from some of the best magicians of today and they also use it in the same way (I have just got back from a show using much of it tonight) and I the reactions on the DVDs and the fact that its performed live should be proof enough that the material is strong?

I am not sure what some people want from projects anymore? I know you cant please everyone but it does make me wonder?

Hondo88
I will give you some advice - Please do not buy my latest DVD it's filled with lots of really strong usable magic. You will not like it.

Please save your money.

Thanks so much again to all the people that have supported all the projects to date we all need to stick together to keep the magic alive.

Here is a like the the original thread. I hope others will read this if they are not sure what he project is?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=351832&forum=111

Many thanks again.

Lee.
For me Bluff has to be one of the worst. What an I'll conceived project that was. The guys involved with that project should have taken some lessons from they're countrymen David Stone. At $100 it was way, way over priced.
Lee. You're flogging a dead horse here on the Café trying to defend your project - which needs no defence in my opinion.

Unlike the other forums, this place is frequented by a plethora of trolls and naysayers who just like to load the bullets for others to fire.

Of course, there are those who offer a reason for their negativity by backing it up with appropriate constructive criticism.

But, alas sadly, many just use the Café to vent their spleen behind anonymous pseudonyms because it's easy and they can!

Take no notice mate and keep producing the goods!
[quote]
On 2011-10-15 02:39, Roger Kelly wrote:
Lee. You're flogging a dead horse here on the Café trying to defend your project - which needs no defence in my opinion.

Unlike the other forums, this place is frequented by a plethora of trolls and naysayers who just like to load the bullets for others to fire.

Of course, there are those who offer a reason for their negativity by backing it up with appropriate constructive criticism.

But, alas sadly, many just use the Café to vent their spleen behind anonymous pseudonyms because it's easy and they can!

Take no notice mate and keep producing the goods!
[/quote]

Thanks Roger, you are right, I have had a couple of PMs stating the same. I just wanted to come on and thank everyone for the support. I'm not posting anymore in here. Thanks guys. I will be looking forward to my next project.

Lee.
[quote]
Step system by lee smith
[/quote]

WOWZERS! I've seen Lee perform countless times, however there is no bias here. Lee knows that if I don't like something he does I will tell him, and I'm sure he appreciates the feedback he gets from everyone.. However watching Lee's material is what first got me back into magic, and I have since started to perform at weddings, parties and even a few corporate events. Some of the effects on STEPS are still some of the core material I perform, and it has led to a repeat booking on nearly every gig. There are some people that like/dislike certain effects as they don't fit their style maybe, but this DVD set should 10000% be in a topic called "the best dvd you've ever bought".
Hmmmmn - looks like one of the trolls' posts has been pulled which kinda makes my last post appear a little out of context and over reactionary.
Interesting turn in this thread. I believe turned by a troll. Regarding Lee Smith's Step System DVD set, I bought it a while back based on it's presence in a thread about BEST DVDs. I wasn't disappointed. It's a great set, with lots of very practical material. The material is quick, visual, and fairly easy to do. The proof of it's practicality is that the set features live performances in a bar setting with REAL, unrehearsed spectators. It's very clear that this magic is entertaining and effective for real laymen.
Got to say that even the cr***iest DVD's are beneficial, even by negative example. I have lots of DVDs I haven't even watched yet, but when I do, I always get something out of them, for better or worse. Usually I'll write down "great effects," "great tips," and "things to avoid" in a journal, for future reference. The good DVDs, I'll watch several times. The others - well, that's what Ebay is for.