(Close Window)
Topic: Sidewalk Sign
I've been gearing up for summer with a new sidewalk sign ... 4 feet by 2 feet, has a chalk board on it to write the next show time.

The letters are painted with "glow-in-the-dark" paint, I lost count of how many coats - at least 10. I'm wondering if that will actually work ... it seems that stuff starts glowing at "dusk" and by the time it gets "dark" it has lost it's charge. I dunnu, maybe I'm wrong ... anyone work with this stuff before?

I've got about 2 ounces left, I'm thinking I should just go ahead and use it all? Or will it matter? I'm thinking this stuff was made for indoor use where you turn the lights off and it is suddenly "dark".

http://joejoeonline.com/news/media/sidewalk%20sign%203-1.jpg

-JoeJoe
I may be a little too "into" electronics these days, but those glow in the dark paints flouresce under black light... And may benefit from the use of some UV LED lights. You could probably mount them onto the sign itself, along with a battery pack. I believe certain types of chalk would flouresce as well, doubling the bang for your buck.

Something to experiment with at least.
You can mount this on the sign... and run it off a small 12v from radio shack...

http://www.blacklight.com/items/CYI431

battery:

http://www.all-battery.com/12v1400mahnimhbatterypackforrcaircraftwatt-ageandminirobots.aspx

call both to make sure the battery and light are compatible.
JoeJoe,

We use glow in the dark tape to spike our props on some stages. If the tape is anything like the paint you are using, you can activate it by hitting it with a powerful flashlight. That is what we do right before a show and it makes the glow in the dark tape really pop in the dark.

Sincerely,
David
Batteries are not an option ... I already have more than enough things to charge.

I've been googling, and from what I can tell I need stronger glow paint. I've looking at Glow Inc. "v10" ... which claims to have a 24 hour charge, compared to the Rustoleum's 2 hour (which is what I used). Reading their forums suggest this will hold the charge, but the brightness will depend on how much light pollution there is in my area ... which is not a lot, practically pitch dark. Anyone ever use this stuff??

http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=41

My other option is to remove the glow, paint the letters gloss-white, and use a solar-powered LED light. Which at this point I'm thinking might be the better option?

-JoeJoe
I bought a set of these LED string of lights- solar powered - to line a dark stairway in my house for visitors. It works nicely. The solar panel is in a bright sunny window and keeps the lights going most of the night. If it were outdoors, the charge would probably last longer.

http://www.harrietcarter.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/40D41C07-C573-4032-8408-8F788ABEB109/productID/8A886E09-E947-4AE1-B27B-ECA97D449C1D
I went ahead and ordered the v10 super glow-in-the-dark paint ... I'll report on how well it works.

-JoeJoe
If you don't mind doing some wiring, LEDs come in UV wavelengths as well. You could run those off of your solar battery. You’ll need to be sure to add a resistor in the circuit.
JoeJoe:

I don't have any suggestions, but I really like your sign. Very nice!

Ron
Thank you Ron! :)

So I've been playing with this v10 super glow-in-the-dark paint ... it is impressive. The stuff is so bright that if you look closely you can actually see it glow in broad daylight just by casting a shadow over it. I'd say it is at least 3x as bright at the store-bought paint, and the glow lasts about 3x longer. Anyone using glow props should look into this stuff.

With shipping, it cost $15 for a 1/2 ounce bottle about the size of a bottle of finger nail polish. I've gone through about 1/2 that bottle applying two coats to the "THE JOEJOE MAGIC SHOW" letters on one side of the sign. But I'm still not sure if it is going to be strong enough ... at least not with the "light pollution" in the area, maybe if it was a pitch black pitch.

I have one light on an inverter I use to light up the area I perform, normally a "street lamp" style light on a pole. I'm going to take one of the light boxes out of my studio and see if I can't attach to the sign to light up both my space and re-charge the glow on the sign ... I can then rotate the sign after each show to re-charge the other side. I think this will do the trick.

More to come...

-JoeJoe
So my solution ... I usually have a "lamp post" I perform under ... this summer, I am taking one of the light boxes out of my studio, painted it blue with some white stars to match and attaching it to the sign.

During the show, it will charge the glow paint. After the show, I can turn the sign around and charge the other side.

So now I have a rig. :)

http://joejoeonline.com/news/media/sidewalk%20sign%204.jpg

-JoeJoe
Looks great, JoeJoe!
So the sign has been in use now for a week ... my conclusion is there is just too much "light pollution" in the area for the glow-in-the-dark to be any more effective than a gloss white paint would have been.

But ... it does give it a nice color even during the day ... that greenish/yellowish glow color like those little plastic balls they used to give away in Capt. Crunch cereal.

-JoeJoe
This "chalkboard paint" seems to work best on a very well sanded surface; ie: it would work much better on drywall than plywood.

But after it rained one night ... I learned that using wet chalk actually works better. So if you ever use this chalkboard paint on wood and your not happy with the way the chalk lays on it, try using wet chalk.

Just something to know. :)

-JoeJoe