(Close Window)
Topic: Doves and pareekets
I was wondering if I could put a 3 month old dove in with my pair of pareekeets, I got from Chris Moss, for training?
Dave Scribner, are you out there?? what do you think, I think it would be ok, just curious about any diseases that the parakeets may have to throw into the situation or vice-versa?? Any vets in the house. not military but animal?? I would think that a young age things would work out well. plenty of room in cages etc. If it was an outdoor aviary and all can get away from each other if needed.
I really do not think that would be a good idea. A huge soft bill bird with small hard bill birds. Someone would end of dead. Remember pecking order. Just my thoughts, but I don't think it would be a good mix at all.

I would ask a pet store, they keep them separated for a reaon.
If the cage or aviary is large as Chris mentioned, there shouldn't be a problem. Fighting occurs when a male tries to establish dominance but you are mixing breeds so there should be no jealousy. Since neither parakeets or doves are preditory animals, they should get along fine.

Pet stores keep their birds separated for reasons that have nothing to do with pecking order.
Thanks you guys for chiming in with your thoughts, I met with Alan Hogan tonight at the fcm meeting. A good ole boy. we discussed it a little more, Said he posted then got busy on other projects in magic and was looking forward to response, and BAMM, come home and here you guys are. Thanks again for your input. Look Alan,,, they chimed in,,, I told you they would stop by soon!! isn't the Café a hoot! good folks here.
I don't raise parakeets, but I have heard that they will gladly do bodily damage to the Doves.

Just get a second cage. Cages are inexpensive nowadays.
Training has a lot to do with it. If the pararkeets are trained as well as the doves, there shouldn't be a problem. Again, it depends on the size of the Café or aviary.

I think probably the best thing to do to answer this question is to give it a try. If there is a problem, they can always be separated.
I have tried this.... not a good idea, the keet will attack the doves.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (May 10, 2011 11:08AM)
Here at our aviary, when I am working with the both of them, the parakeets are just as afraid of the doves as the doves are with the parakeets. it all seems about conditioning at this point. starting them at a young age being housed together and with plenty of room I would think would be the key. My only real issue was maybe with any sort of diseases and the sharing of them, but if all birds are in a healthy environment then Like Dave says, Give it a shot, just be sure to be around to do a visual on their behavior, and then adjust accordingly. I understand Wmhegbli's concern about the hardbill on Parakeet, they are some serious pinchers, but doves have some serious flappage with their wings if need be, they could flap that little parakeet right off a perch. I waTCH THESE DOVES OF MINE FLAP WHEN THEY WANT AN UNWANTED GUEST AT THE NEST... oops cap key( aaarrgh). Room is the key. Also Fabio has a good response with more caging to seperate, but I have seen Allans (owln) caging, we are talkking large aviaries outside with seperate areas for breeding pairs so should be no reason for fighting. Alan. give it a try for a day or so with supervision and fill us in, so we all can learn something here.

Posted: May 10, 2011 12:11pm
Graham, I was typing my post as you had posted, wish I had seen yours first before sending mine in.... So the parakeets attack do they. are they doing it just to be mean, a small cage? give us some detail please. Why do you think they were attacking with your situation.

Posted: May 10, 2011 12:22pm
Alan, look what you started..LOL
Well I thank you all for the infomation I believe I'll just keep them seprated at the present time, Just wanted to bring the dove in for some training, so I'll just bring in another cage for my wife to love. Thanks

PS Chriss are you still looking for a yellow parakeet, I have one, you can check out the 17th Owln_1
I breed indian ringnecks, pigeons, doves, parakeets, african lovebirds as a hobby, my uncle got me into it. Yes you can mix them in only if it is a colony cage setup, and when we say colony cage setup, it should be a large cage, parakeets and doves are not territorial species unlike pigeons so don't worry about them fighting.
Chris, I have never caged the keets and doves together. the keet would attack the doves when they were both outside their cages. This always happened after I left the room then I would come back and a dove would have a wound on the top of its head(happened twice, doves were fine both times). I think its because the keet sees the dove eating spray millet....
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (May 13, 2011 09:19PM)
Graham, thanks for filling us in with the situation. Makes since. Sounds like My buddy owln, was going to bring them inside for training and try to keep them close in the same cage, which again... sounds like a small cage set up and not a large area where each would have their space. So good ole Owln has come up with going with 2 cages and seperating, Thank for chiming in with your input.
Doves can be very territorial, especially bonded males.
[quote]
On 2011-05-12 18:27, themarkgician wrote:
parakeets and doves are not territorial species unlike pigeons so don't worry about them fighting.
[/quote]
Mark, you are incorrect. Fabio is absolutely right. Doves, especially males, are very territorial. You can almost never put two or more of them in the same cage unless the cage is very large. They take charge and protect their areas at all cost.
Sounds like you already got the answers, but yes, the parakeets will attack the doves most of the time.
I've seen a couple of pictures of doves who had their beaks ripped off by the strong bills of parakeets and cockatiels. I've also heard of people housing them together and it working out fine. I don't think it's really worth risking.

I don't see how it would work out well as far as safety or cage design without it being huge and pretty much an aviary.

My parakeet is pretty territorial about her cage. I guess maybe she's just pushier than others, I don't know. I know her sibling from the same clutch, and she's even more territorial though.