(Close Window)
Topic: Ru Paul
Message: Posted by: jdmagic357 (May 12, 2011 05:06PM)
With all the talk going on about Obama I was wondering what people thought of Dr. Paul?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3RB_56WziA&feature=related

OK, I just had to. :)
Message: Posted by: critter (May 12, 2011 05:48PM)
I always liked RuPaul. Her politics are good too. I think "You gotta' work, !@#$%!" is a fantastic platform in today's economy.
Message: Posted by: jdmagic357 (May 12, 2011 10:56PM)
Couldn't agree with you more, about working that is. Not so sure about your gender identification, though?
Message: Posted by: critter (May 12, 2011 11:04PM)
Well the proper etiquette is to use the 'she' descriptor while they are in the drag persona, regardless of physical gender.
Message: Posted by: jdmagic357 (May 13, 2011 12:21AM)
Yeah and if I dress like Napoleon, the proper reference would be "bonjour mon capitaine". Or can we size you up for this straight jacket? I could of course escape, but would the people of France accept me?
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (May 13, 2011 12:27AM)
Reminds me of the Smullyan anecdote where a guy was trying to get released from a mental hospital, and for his interview, he was hooked up to a lie detector...the psychiatrist asked him if he was Napoleon, he said, "No," and the machine said he was lying.
Message: Posted by: landmark (May 13, 2011 11:39AM)
Ah, but you have to also know that the machine is faulty and is mistaken exactly half of the time . . .
Message: Posted by: Steve_Mollett (May 13, 2011 07:30PM)
Dr.: "Who are you?"
Patient: "Napoleon."
Dr.: "How do you know?"
Patient: "God told me."
Patient in next bed: "I did not!!!"
:crazydude:
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (May 14, 2011 10:33AM)
[quote]
On 2011-05-13 01:21, jdmagic357 wrote:
Yeah and if I dress like Napoleon, the proper reference would be "bonjour mon capitaine". Or can we size you up for this straight jacket? I could of course escape, but would the people of France accept me?
[/quote]

Your analogy would work if Ru Paul dressed and behaved as if she thought she were Marilyn Monroe and expected to be addressed as such.
Does it really hurt anybody to call Ru Paul (or any transvestite in female garb) "her?"
Message: Posted by: jdmagic357 (May 14, 2011 07:44PM)
[quote]
On 2011-05-14 11:33, ed rhodes wrote:
Your analogy would work if Ru Paul dressed and behaved as if she thought she were Marilyn Monroe and expected to be addressed as such.
Does it really hurt anybody to call Ru Paul (or any transvestite in female garb) "her?"
[/quote]

Idk if it "hurts", but to live in a world of fantasy, with an avoidance of reality, might be harmful to ones psyche? Or so I've been told. ;)
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (May 14, 2011 10:39PM)
[quote]
On 2011-05-14 20:44, jdmagic357 wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-14 11:33, ed rhodes wrote:
Your analogy would work if Ru Paul dressed and behaved as if she thought she were Marilyn Monroe and expected to be addressed as such.
Does it really hurt anybody to call Ru Paul (or any transvestite in female garb) "her?"
[/quote]

Idk if it "hurts", but to live in a world of fantasy, with an avoidance of reality, might be harmful to ones psyche? Or so I've been told. ;)
[/quote]

hey, "she's" making a living off of it and is getting massive returns.
Message: Posted by: critter (May 14, 2011 10:46PM)
[quote]
On 2011-05-14 20:44, jdmagic357 wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-14 11:33, ed rhodes wrote:
Your analogy would work if Ru Paul dressed and behaved as if she thought she were Marilyn Monroe and expected to be addressed as such.
Does it really hurt anybody to call Ru Paul (or any transvestite in female garb) "her?"
[/quote]

Idk if it "hurts", but to live in a world of fantasy, with an avoidance of reality, might be harmful to ones psyche? Or so I've been told. ;)
[/quote]

I don't think so. I think it's when someone doesn't know the difference between their fantasy and reality that it's a problem.
I don't believe that RuPaul/Andre Charles fits the demented category.
Yeah, I know, winky. Just sayin'
Message: Posted by: Destiny (May 15, 2011 06:24AM)
"... to live in a world of fantasy, with an avoidance of reality, might be harmful to ones psyche? Or so I've been told."

You shouldn't take too much notice of what you're told.

We all play roles in this life and what may appear a fantasy to others might just be reality to the person concerned - not an avoidance of reality but a different aspect of their character.

I spent 10 years performing wildlife shows in ranger uniform - I found when I put on the uniform, my personality changed to suit the character that went with the uniform. I was not acting out a personality - I was simply bringing to the fore the aspects of my personality which suited the perception of the uniform. When I finished a show I was still in public, in the uniform, and so I continued to behave in an appropriate manner.

I fail to see how Ru Paul, or indeed myself, in my current character, stray from this paradigm.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (May 15, 2011 11:07AM)
Amen, child.
Message: Posted by: Donal Chayce (May 15, 2011 12:13PM)
Beneath this cheap veneer is just more cheap veneer.
Message: Posted by: jdmagic357 (May 16, 2011 07:56AM)
[quote]
On 2011-05-15 13:13, Donal Chayce wrote:
Beneath this cheap veneer is just more cheap veneer.
[/quote]

I suspect that HIS makeup, is anything but cheap?
Message: Posted by: critter (May 16, 2011 10:20AM)
[quote]
...HIS...
[/quote]

Well, if you're comfortable with this sort of intolerance then there's nothing I can do about it. Just as long as we're all aware that this is disrespectful to another human being who's done nothing to earn disrespect.

And here I thought this was gonna' be a fun thread.
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (May 16, 2011 02:40PM)
To all those arguing that RuPaul deserves to be referred to in the feminine gender (specifically Critter), please see HIS wikipedia page of which I have pasted a portion:

"RuPaul is noted among famous drag queens for his indifference towards the gender-specific pronouns used to address himóboth "he" and "she" have been deemed acceptable. "You can call me he. You can call me she. You can call me Regis and Kathie Lee; I don't care! Just as long as you call me." "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ru_Paul
Message: Posted by: critter (May 16, 2011 03:31PM)
[quote]
On 2011-05-16 15:40, Dr. JK wrote:
To all those arguing that RuPaul deserves to be referred to in the feminine gender (specifically Critter), please see HIS wikipedia page of which I have pasted a portion:

"RuPaul is noted among famous drag queens for his indifference towards the gender-specific pronouns used to address himóboth "he" and "she" have been deemed acceptable. "You can call me he. You can call me she. You can call me Regis and Kathie Lee; I don't care! Just as long as you call me." "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ru_Paul
[/quote]

For one thing: I didn't start the arguement.
For another: Every member of the trans community that I have ever known would jump down your throat if you called them a "he" when they weren't in male clothing. It is considered offensive and intolerant within the community. So RuPaul might be an exception in terms of HER preference, it is disrespectful to most who live this lifestyle.
Like I've said before, I'm not big on PC, so this isn't a life or death arguement with me. (Although if it were a full time transgendered person we were talking about then it would be very serious to me.)
I was called out for adhering to the customs of the community so I supported my position. And I still stand by it. There's not one thing a 16 year old quote pasted into Wikipedia says that changes that.
Message: Posted by: critter (May 16, 2011 04:59PM)
Still odd that I was singled out of everyone else in that reply. "Especially" maybe since I was the most vocal, but "Specifically" is pretty, well, specific.

Destiny, do you prefer the "He" or "She?"
I always think of you as a very funny "she" but if you prefer the other then I can adjust.
Message: Posted by: Destiny (May 17, 2011 05:15AM)
Hi Critter,

It's funny how often you draw the lightening bolts, because I find myself in agreement with you on so many things.

I'm with you. I address people as they see themselves - if it's important to them that they be 'he', 'she', 'Dr', 'Mrs', 'Ms', 'Reverend', 'Your Holiness', or 'Your Majesty' I have no problem with it, whether I personally find Queen Elizabeth to be majestic or not.

My birthname was Anthony but I've never been called that, even as a young child, and I think that gave me an early acceptance that people should be addressed as they chose.

I've been known as Destiny longer and by more people than have ever called me by another name so I really think of it as my name - I have to admit to some annoyance though, that after decades of having a fairly unique name, thanks to Beyonce, there is now a Destiny on every second street corner.

As far as 'he' or 'she' most people refer to me as 'she', but I am not offended to be addressed otherwise - except when people do it pointedly which I feel is rather petty.

I should point out I am not much of a socialiser - work consumes most of my time, so very few people know me privately.
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (May 17, 2011 07:35AM)
[quote]
On 2011-05-16 17:59, critter wrote:
Still odd that I was singled out of everyone else in that reply. "Especially" maybe since I was the most vocal, but "Specifically" is pretty, well, specific.
[/quote]

No intent to hurt your feelings. I did single you out because you called someone "intolerant" for stating their opinion (and disagreeing with yours). While you may be correct that some consider it to be rude to call he a she (or whatever), that should be about the extent of your argument. Instead, you pursued it further, calling JD intolerant and disrespectful to humans. Rather a bold statement to be so blatantly wrong as it relates to this specific thread (considering that RuPaul is not threatened or bothered by the "his" label). I called you out because your response was factually incorrect with regard to this specific topic, and because you resorted to name-calling. Like I said, sorry if I hurt your feelings. I didn't really care to respond to this thread until I saw your post.
Message: Posted by: critter (May 17, 2011 09:03AM)
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 08:35, Dr. JK wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-16 17:59, critter wrote:
Still odd that I was singled out of everyone else in that reply. "Especially" maybe since I was the most vocal, but "Specifically" is pretty, well, specific.
[/quote]

No intent to hurt your feelings. I did single you out because you called someone "intolerant" for stating their opinion (and disagreeing with yours). While you may be correct that some consider it to be rude to call he a she (or whatever), that should be about the extent of your argument. Instead, you pursued it further, calling JD intolerant and disrespectful to humans. Rather a bold statement to be so blatantly wrong as it relates to this specific thread (considering that RuPaul is not threatened or bothered by the "his" label). I called you out because your response was factually incorrect with regard to this specific topic, and because you resorted to name-calling. Like I said, sorry if I hurt your feelings. I didn't really care to respond to this thread until I saw your post.
[/quote]

Well, bud, I'd say that capitolizing the HIS was the first insult thrown when I'd already stated that it is an intolerant statement within the community. That kind of makes it directly intended as an insulting statement. Especially when combined with the previous statements about living in a fantasy world and being detached from reality. When the HIM is said with such disdain, then that's namecalling in my book.
So if I respond in kind well then I'm sorry I hurt [i]your[/i] feelings.
Message: Posted by: critter (May 17, 2011 09:05AM)
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 06:15, Destiny wrote:
Hi Critter,

As far as 'he' or 'she' most people refer to me as 'she', but I am not offended to be addressed otherwise - except when people do it pointedly which I feel is rather petty.
[/quote]

That's the way I've been taking it here. Pointed and petty.
Thanks for the insights.