(Close Window)
Topic: End Of The World! May 21, 2011
Have you seen this commercial on TV?
http://www.familyradio.com/may21/

This story has been covered by all the major newspapers over the last few months. Apparently 1000s of people have quit their jobs, sold their homes and using their money to buy over 3000 billboards, radio and TV ads letting us know the end is coming on May 21!

I understand the Florida Association of Atheists are having a big party to celebrate the end of the world.
http://freethoughtflorida.com/wp/archives/275

Actually May 21st is suppose to be the long awaited Judgement Day. According to these believers, the actual world isn't
going to be destroyed until Oct 21.

What will take place on May 21?

On May 21, 2011 two events will occur. These events could not be more opposite in nature, the one more wonderful than can be imagined; the other more horrific than can be imagined.

A great earthquake will occur the Bible describes it as "such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great." This earthquake will be so powerful it will throw open all graves. The remains of the all the believers who have ever lived will be instantly transformed into glorified spiritual bodies to be forever with God.

On the other hand the bodies of all unsaved people will be thrown out upon the ground to be shamed.

The inhabitants who survive this terrible earthquake will exist in a world of horror and chaos beyond description. Each day people will die until October 21, 2011 when God will completely destroy this earth and its surviving inhabitants.

Someone will have a lot of explaining to do on May 22nd.

Just to be on the safe side I didn't book any shows for May 21. LOL

Devin
Bring a toothbrush and change of underwear.
The same group also said that the "judgement" would come back in September of 1994. You make the call!
I know, he said he miscalculated but has now revealed the correct date. They are quite arrogant about it, the press has asked what will you say on May 22. The answer is, "We won't be here, there is no chance of us being wrong."

Apparently thousands of people have sold their homes and quit their jobs and used the money to buy all those billboards. I was in Tampa when they were flocking the streets proclaiming the end. Apparently a lot of people are buying into this.

I still expect the world to be here intact on May 22. I can't wait to hear the excuses they make. I feel sorry for all those people who sold their homes and quit their jobs. They will be in for a rude awakening on May 22.
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 10:16, Devin Knight wrote:

I know, he said he miscalculated but has now revealed the correct date. They are quite arrogant about it, the press has asked what will you say on May 22. The answer is, "We won't be here, there is no chance of us being wrong."

Apparently thousands of people have sold their homes and quit their jobs and used the money to buy all those billboards. I was in Tampa when they were flocking the streets proclaiming the end. Apparently a lot of people are buying into this.
[/quote]
I believe this is the group you're talking about.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363837/Doomsday-campers-Project-Caravan-say-world-end-May-21.html

But are you sure about the "thousands of people have sold their homes and quit their jobs" bit?
http://www.doonesbury.com/strip

[img]http://cdn.svcs.c2.uclick.com/c2/4c211bb05dfa012ee3bf00163e41dd5b[/img]
If I was there I would be selling glow sticks.

All right folks, get your angel glow sticks. No-one gets into heaven without a glow stick.
This is the work of Harold Camping, head of Family Radio. Really sad stuff.

I was on vacation in March, in San Diego, and a couple of people by the big outdoor Maritime Museum gave me some literature. It was this warning that the end was coming - then I remembered Camping had made this prediction.
I've got my fingers crossed. This Hell on Earth stuff sounds awesome. I hope there will be zombies and Thunderdome style cage fighting.
Did he account for the extra centuries added to the calendar in the early mideval ages?
I wish I would have known in advance...probably some good real estate deals.
Wow who can beleive in anything now. I was just getting use to the fact that the world end in Dec of 2012. At least this way we don't have to suffer through presidental campaign ads and debates!
He broadcasts out of Oakland, about 20 minutes away. I get to see it up close!!!!!!
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 11:54, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Did he account for the extra centuries added to the calendar in the early mideval ages?
[/quote]
Gol-dang it! You beat me to it! :)
[quote]
[/quote]

Actually, that's a theory that's not backed up by conclusive evidence.
He didn't take in account the time zones in the world either. He says it will happen 6PM May 21, but what time zone?
It will be May 21 in Asia while it is still May 20th here. When it is May 21 in USA, it will already be May 22 in parts of the world due to the international date line. It can't be May 21 everywhere in the world at the same time. Yet his billboards appear all over the world saying May 21.

That means that the world depending on where you live could end on either May 20, 21 or 22. Out of fairness to his prediction we should give him until May 23 to say he is wrong. I know he is wrong, but I won't say, Look he was wrong until May 23.

Remember he claims the earthquake will encompass the entire world at 6PM.
One of the really, really interesting things about this is that it's basically a no-lose situation for the hard-core believers. Either it happens, in which case their faith is confirmed, or else it doesn't happen, in which case their faith is... confirmed. What happens all too often for end-of-the-world prophets who louse up the prediction is that they feel that their praying and spreading of the message is what averted disaster. It's a fascinating study.
Buy a glow stick and prevent the end of the world.

Only $10 each.

http://www.savetheworldbuyaglowstick.com
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 15:18, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Buy a glow stick and prevent the end of the world.

Only $10 each.

http://www.savetheworldbuyaglowstick.com
[/quote]

That's a broken link ;)
Disney bought the rights to the URL before I could activate it.
They would, I hear Seal Team Six uses a lot of glow sticks.
They do. They actually use a special non-glow version that I make. I charge double for those.
Rambo III:
Afghani rebel: "What does it do?"
Rambo: "It turns blue."
I understand they bought over 3000 billboards to proclaim this news. That is a lot of money! I wonder if he bought the billboards on credit knowing he would be gone when the bill arrives...or if the media wanted cash up front before printing all these things.
Here are the official rebuttals Mr Camping has given the skeptics:
What if May 21 ends and nothing occurs?

The Biblical evidence is too overwhelming and specific to be wrong. Christ's people can look with great confidence to this date because God promises His "beloved" He will not come upon them as a thief in the night.

God in His mercy has revealed the vital information needed to know the day. Judgment Day on May 21, 2011 will occur because the bible declares it. Anyone whom God has not saved will arrive at that day with no hope for salvation. God warns simply the "door will be shut."

Why is there no question now?

In the nineteen years since 1994? Was written the biblical evidence for 2011 has greatly solidified. Today there is no longer any question, May 21, 2011 is the day in which Jesus Christ will return.

What do you say to those who insist we cannot know the precise date of Judgment Day?

For one to object to May 21st, 2011 one must have BIBLICAL AUTHORITY to do so. Objections cannot be based upon consensus, traditions or fear. God has given far too many biblical proofs for anyone to disregard May 21 simply because he or she does not like it.

The Bible has led us to May 21, 2011

This date is not the product of the mind of one man or a group of men.

It is the culmination of study of the entire Bible, both the Old and New Testaments.

Every word written in the original Biblical "autographs" were dictated by God, therefore all words, numbers and sentences in these original writings are to be trusted as coming from God.

The fact that this date is the result of the synthesis of all of Scripture causes May 21st, 2011 to take on very sobering factuality. It is no longer opinion, but a matter of fact.

May 21, 2011 is God's date. All other predictions are man's attempt to predict the end. So it becomes a matter of eternal life, or eternal death. One can no longer presume May 21st of this year will be just another normal day.

Each person must come to entrust their lives to what God has written in His Word the Bible and plead to Him for mercy. Otherwise God will come upon them with unmerciful vengeance on May 21, 2011.

BESIDES and MOST importantly...THE BIBLE Guarantees it.

-------------------------------
WHO CAN ARGUE WITH THAT?...we're doomed, all doomed. I'm too young to die!
I would like to take some photo's and maybe take a video. Where is the best place to be for a photo shoot?
Iven :patty:
Coming from a book that has been rewritten many, many times.
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 16:32, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Coming from a book that has been rewritten many, many times.
[/quote]

Didn't Harold Camping say that the world would end in 1994?

In 1992 Mr. Camping wrote a book entitled 1994? In that book Mr. Camping highlighted the abundant evidence pointing to 1994 as a probable year of Christ's return. Given the abundance of information pointing 1994 and the urgency of time, the book 1994? was written. Mr. Camping felt as a teacher, he must share the Biblical information he had found and warn the world.

Important subsequent biblical information was not yet known, so this book was incomplete. Mr. Camping warned there may be something he overlooked therefore the question mark was prominently placed on the title.

Mr. Camping wrote on pages 494 and 495 of the book 1994? he believed 2011 was the most probable year of Christ's second coming. Given the fact 2011 is the 7000 year anniversary of the flood, but he misunderstood Jesus' teaching in Matthew 24 verse 22 "except those days should be shortened"

At the time Mr. Camping concluded the period of "great tribulation" would be shortened from twenty three years, as the Bible teaches, to 2300 evening mornings or six and one third years. .

Mr. Camping wrote in 1994?:

"God appears to be declaring that this final tribulation period should be a certain length of time. If it were that length of time, it seems it would fit perfectly with God's plan of 7000 years. Judgment Day would be 2011 A.D.

But for the sake of the elect those day will be shortened."

"What happens all too often for end-of-the-world prophets who louse up the prediction is that they feel that their praying and spreading of the message is what averted disaster."

Except the end of days is not a "disaster" in these folks minds. It is what they have been waiting for. so in this case: if the world doesn't end on the 21st, they lose.
I am truly amazed at these people. So positive that the world will end this weekend. As they say, no chance of being wrong, it is going to happen this time. I know people have predicted the end in the past, but NEVER has any group spent so much time and effort to get the word out or drawn as much attention and publicity from the media. I have read that other groups and churches are beginning to believe this and spread the message.

There have been many end of the world predictions but this has to be the most fascinating I have seen or heard of.
"Don't follow leaders, watch your parking meters..." -- Bob Dylan
Stephan Hawkings the great scientist has declared there is NO HEAVEN...
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/17/heaven-is-a-fairy-story-scientist-stephen-hawking-says/?hpt=T2

Wow, all these people being raptured away this weekend and NO PLACE to go!
OFFER: If there are any christian magicians on the Café who believe (sorry, KNOW) they will be raputured away this weekend and feel they no longer need their collection of magic...PLEASE PM me. I will be glad to take it off your hands before you leave.
[quote]I feel sorry for all those people who sold their homes and quit their jobs. They will be in for a rude awakening on May 22.
[/quote]
The worstthing I can see coming is anoher economy crash.
I was really surprised with all the news about Hawkings declaration about heaven... He is a scientist after all.
I know Ph.D. physicists from top universities who believe in the Christian God, heaven & hell, etc.
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 14:44, NicholasD wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Actually, that's a theory that's not backed up by conclusive evidence.
[/quote]

So's the Rapture :)
I've signed up to partake in the post Rapture looting

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=121968371215699

As have 142,898 others

I'm actually planning on going out a day early so I get the good stuff before it's all gone
What sucks is I'm a Christian but I consider myself fairly normal. It's nut jobs like these that give religion a bad name. I go about my day, do my thing and don't try to cram it down anyone else's throat. Idiots like this guy, Fred Phelps, and quite a few others make me look crazier than I already am.
How's about if we all HIDE for 24 hours after 'zero hour' to REALLY spook the believers?

Where did everybody go? ARBY's--roast beef sale. :)
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 19:25, Steve_Mollett wrote:
How's about if we all HIDE for 24 hours after 'zero hour' to REALLY spook the believers?

[/quote]

Better yet. We should all go to churches on Sunday and drop piles of clothes all around them. That way when the attendees come out it will look like they missed the big event.
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 19:25, Andrew Zuber wrote:
What sucks is I'm a Christian but I consider myself fairly normal.
[/quote]

If we don't see you on the Café next week, we will know you were raptured away. If you are a Christian you will be raptured away whether you believe May 21 or not according to the group.
Apparently they forgot to read Matthew 24:36 - "However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows."
What will take place on May 21st, 2011? I will be out biking, the sun will rise, and then the sun will set. Also, it might rain.
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 20:06, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Apparently they forgot to read Matthew 24:36 - "However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows."
[/quote]
Here is their answer:
The fact so many church leaders are insisting Christ will come as a "thief in the night" (that is, no one can know the day or the hour) is another very important Biblical 'sign' Christ's return is very close. Far too many people mistakenly presume they are at "Peace" with God and therefore in "safety."

Sadly, many assume no human being can know, because they mistakenly believe even Jesus himself does not know the day or hour of His own return.

The belief Christ will come "as a thief in the night" for everyone, including Christ's people, is the foundational basis for which most Christians, including church leaders and pastors reject May 21, 2011.

However, God has written in His Word he will tell his people exactly what he plans before he brings it to pass:

"Surely the LORD GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." (Prophet being in this case MR. CAMPING)

God's "beloved" people are not in darkness that that day would come upon them as a thief in the night. God graciously has written in I Thessalonians 5 verse 4

"But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day (the rapture) should overtake you as a thief."
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 20:25, mahucharn wrote:
What will take place on May 21st, 2011? I will be out biking, the sun will rise, and then the sun will set. Also, it might rain.
[/quote]
I'm sure that will all happen, but you forgot to mention the massive earthquake that will disrupt your bike riding! LOL
Start mixing the Kool-Aid.
I just wanted to point out, although I know their answers I am NOT part of the group, nor do I believe Judgment Day is May 21. I have just read ALL of the stuff on their website with great interest. These people are good. They have biblical answers and scripture to counter EVERY argument and skeptic. Most of it is very convincing and I can see how they have won over millions (yes millions) of believers around the world. They have a convincing answer for everything.

I can't wait to hear the answer that will be given on May 22 when they are still here! What possible answer can they derive from the bible outside of Mr.Camping being a false prophet when it doesn't happen.

I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into Jim Jones event with people committing suicide because they feel that is the way to heaven.

I have followed this story with great interest since it first broke. I have read the stories from competing christian groups. One fringe group who do not believe this will happen, INSIST that Satan will unleash demons on the world May 21 just to create havoc and confusion. One church group is even saying Satan may cause an earthquake that day to decieve the believers.

Regardless with all the billboards, ads on radio and TV the public is aware of this. Everyone is waiting to see what if anything happens on May 21. I frankly expect nothing out of the normal to happen, however if California has an earthquake that day, I know there are going to millions of people scared out of their wits, and that could just be a coincidence. ANY earthquake that day, anywhere in the world is going to freak people out.

One thing I can predict correctly is that on May 22 there are going to be MANY surprised people! You can take that prediction to the bank.

People surprised they are STILL HERE or people surprised the rapture really did happen and THEY ARE LEFT BEHIND.

Either way I predict I WILL STILL BE HERE and you can read that anyway you want to.
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 20:59, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Start mixing the Kool-Aid.
[/quote]

That's what I am afraid of....no joking!
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (May 17, 2011 08:09PM)
Is that with or without the missing several hundred years that are being discussed on the other thread?
I'm looking forward to the 5 months of anarchy that will follow before god destroys the Earth ;)
I think they came up with the date by using a magic square.

"See no matter how you add it up it totals 521, 521..., 5 21 which means May 21!" You can't argue with logic like that...
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 19:25, Andrew Zuber wrote:
What sucks is I'm a Christian but I consider myself fairly normal. It's nut jobs like these that give religion a bad name. I go about my day, do my thing and don't try to cram it down anyone else's throat. Idiots like this guy, Fred Phelps, and quite a few others make me look crazier than I already am.
[/quote]

True, though moderates give the crazies legitimacy.
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 19:31, Payne wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 19:25, Steve_Mollett wrote:

[/quote]

Better yet. We should all go to churches on Sunday and drop piles of clothes all around them. That way when the attendees come out it will look like they missed the big event.
[/quote]

More likely they would be amazed at the the lack of subtlety! :)
If any of the May 21st garbage was even almost true. Others like t the Pope would be proclaiming the end will start on May 21st He isn't and it won't. Even if he was making the same claims. It still really wouldn't mean that it will happen.

Devin said that the group making this claim has an answer to every skeptic etc.. They wouldn't every be able prove me wrong even on My worst day.

Yes I do believe in God but I know for a fact this group is a bunch of people with nothing better to do than make up false "facts" The ones that are in charge are making vast amounts of money off of all this too. If the world really was ending why would they even need the money that they have? They wouldn't.

If the start of the end of the world is on Sat Maybe we should all go out with a bang and do whatever it is we have always wanted to do. Hey at least it could make some happy lol.
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 22:37, RS1963 wrote:

The ones that are in charge are making vast amounts of money off of all this too. If the world really was ending why would they even need the money that they have? They wouldn't.
[/quote]
How so? I've heard nothing about them doing any fundraising. Only about how they are out selling and then spending everything they have, spreading the word.
The people doing this are all volunteers. They are paid NOTHING. Many, many people sold their homes and took all the money to help buy billboards. People are using their remaining money to fly to other countries. I have seen them on the streets and NEVER did they ask for money. These people are sincere and really believe the world will end, even if they are wrong.

I would hate to be in Harold Campings shoes, he is going to have to do a lot of explaining Sunday. What do you say to all those people who sold their homes, quit their jobs, left their families and spent the lost few months promoting a cause that never happened. A lot of people are going to lose their faith. You are going to have some P**SED off followers.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of them killed him for ruining their lives and being the cause of them being homeless and broke with life-savings gone. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that some of the followers committed suicide knowing they have nothing left and things they spent a life-time achieving are gone to buy some stupid billboards.

How much ridicule and shame will the followers go through on May 22 and 23 with thousands of Billboards still up proving the claim was false?

You have to remember this whole thing has gotten out of hand with millions of people believing this. The internet if full of stories of young children being terrified of this weekend. Many kids are posting on the net they are scared.

If you visit their web site, you will see these people have hit almost every state in the union with their traveling caravans. There is a slide-show on the website showing ALL the countries that volunteers are in. Yes the believers are in South American, Asia and Africa handing out tracts and buying billboards everywhere they can afford.

This has become world-wide event that is spreading over the globe. Yes other people have predicted the end of the world, but virtually no one has every gone to this extreme to spread the word. A search on the internet will show that newspapers around the world are covering this story since it is only a few days away.

Normally, I would have no interest in a group like this, but the pull and energy they are exerting to spread this news is unbelievable. They have affected millions of people with this falsehood. Lives are being ruined and destroyed by what is happening. I feel very sorry for all those who will suffer through the aftermath.

This weekend millions of people around the world will be relieved to find out Jesus didn't come, but on the other hand there will be millions disappointed and disillusioned because he didn't.

I know most of us will want to laugh and say those idiots were wrong, but they are following a deluded man, and I for one have concern for all the lives this has destroyed and will destroy in the name of religion.
Again some are making money and not getting rid of it to help "spread the word" Their wallets are getting bigger while their followers wallets are getting smaller. Also the followers are being led down the garden path and will end up having the hose turned on them.

If you really had studied this group you would know what I am talking about.
[quote]
On 2011-05-18 00:02, Devin Knight wrote:
The people doing this are all volunteers. They are paid NOTHING. Many, many people sold their homes and took all the money to help buy billboards. People are using their remaining money to fly to other countries. I have seen them on the streets and NEVER did they ask for money. These people are sincere and really believe the world will end, even if they are wrong.

I would hate to be in Harold Campings shoes, he is going to have to do a lot of explaining Sunday. What do you say to all those people who sold their homes, quit their jobs, left their families and spent the lost few months promoting a cause that never happened. A lot of people are going to lose their faith. You are going to have some P**SED off followers.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of them killed him for ruining their lives and being the cause of them being homeless and broke with life-savings gone. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that some of the followers committed suicide knowing they have nothing left and things they spent a life-time achieving are gone to buy some stupid billboards.

How much ridicule and shame will the followers go through on May 22 and 23 with thousands of Billboards still up proving the claim was false?

You have to remember this whole thing has gotten out of hand with millions of people believing this. The internet if full of stories of young children being terrified of this weekend. Many kids are posting on the net they are scared.

If you visit their web site, you will see these people have hit almost every state in the union with their traveling caravans. There is a slide-show on the website showing ALL the countries that volunteers are in. Yes the believers are in South American, Asia and Africa handing out tracts and buying billboards everywhere they can afford.

This has become world-wide event that is spreading over the globe. Yes other people have predicted the end of the world, but virtually no one has every gone to this extreme to spread the word. A search on the internet will show that newspapers around the world are covering this story since it is only a few days away.

Normally, I would have no interest in a group like this, but the pull and energy they are exerting to spread this news is unbelievable. They have affected millions of people with this falsehood. Lives are being ruined and destroyed by what is happening. I feel very sorry for all those who will suffer through the aftermath.

This weekend millions of people around the world will be relieved to find out Jesus didn't come, but on the other hand there will be millions disappointed and disillusioned because he didn't.
[/quote]
I don't know where you live ... but I have to tell you that up until recently, this story was attracting ZERO attention where I live. And certainly no billboards have been spotted here.

I find it rather hard to believe that MILLIONS let alone thousands of people are treating this seriously or even paying this any attention, except as a curiosity.

To get accurate information about how many followers there are, their website would be the last place I looked.
[quote]
On 2011-05-18 00:19, RS1963 wrote:

Again some are making money and not getting rid of it to help "spread the word" Their wallets are getting bigger while their followers wallets are getting smaller.
[/quote]
So, again, as you claim to know, how so? I've heard nothing about them doing any fundraising. Only about how they are out selling and then spending everything they have, spreading the word.
I know they were on one talk show and it was very obvious. They were even asked about it point blank but they refused to answer. They wouldn't even act like they had been asked point blank. So that tells you something right there. I don't remember what show it was. It was much earlier on just after they had made their false claim of the end of the world being on it's way.

I've read other things about them too where it's obvious. But I don't have time to dig up any links. The articles may still be around so if people so desire they can take the good amount of time it will take to hunt those down. I would but I don't have time.
[quote]
On 2011-05-18 00:53, RS1963 wrote:

I've read other things about them too where it's obvious. But I don't have time to dig up any links. The articles may still be around so if people so desire they can take the good amount of time it will take to hunt those down. I would but I don't have time.
[/quote]
Well, if you ever have the time, I would love to see a link.

The only thing I can find that even brings up the possibility of them making money off of this says the exact opposite of what you do.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/05/10/f-judgment-day-family-radio.html

Richard Ascough, a professor in the School of Religion at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont., has been watching Family Radio's campaign, and fully expects life as we know it to continue on May 22.

He has seen other apocalyptic predictions come and go, but Family Radio's differs in a notable way: it isn't accompanied by a bold, up-front request for money. And that's worrisome, in his mind.

"I think they really believe it's going to happen," Ascough said in an interview Tuesday.
8 11 501 1
500 2 7 12
3 503 9 6
10 5 4 502

[quote]
On 2011-05-17 21:32, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I think they came up with the date by using a magic square.

"See no matter how you add it up it totals 521, 521..., 5 21 which means May 21!" You can't argue with logic like that...
[/quote]
:rotf:
I'm guessing May 21st will go down much in the same way January 1st, 2000 did. Remember all the chaos that occurred when the clocks struck midnight? Yeah, neither do I. ;)

Devin - glad to know I'm safe either way! I will of course report back to the Café from the mother land, or aboard whatever space ship these people claim to be the mode of transportation to get there. I just hope there's a Starbucks on the way.
LET'S PARTY ON THE 23RD. OK!!!!

:dancing:
FROM THE SAME ARTICLE
Billboards are popping up around the globe, including in major Canadian cities, proclaiming May 21 as Judgment Day. "Cry mightily unto GOD for HIS mercy," says one of the mounted signs from Family Radio, a California-based sectarian Christian group that is sending one of its four travelling caravans of believers into Vancouver and Calgary within the next 10 days.

And then that predicted Judgment Day doesn't come.

"We've seen that happen in groups before, and then people are just wiped out, not just emotionally because it didn't happen, but financially," said Ascough. "Some people, it's led to them taking their own lives when they realize what they have done." (exactly what I said I was afraid of earlier)

Family Radio identifies itself on its website as a "non-profit, non-commercial, Christian radio network" set up in 1958 with one FM station in the San Francisco Bay area. From that station bought by Harold Camping and two others "with the sole intent of proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ," it has grown to a network of 66 stations through the U.S. It also broadcasts its programming internationally.

Some published estimates have put its net worth at $120 million or more.

"To have that kind of revenue base, if that's correct, suggests there must be quite a few listeners," said Ascough.

You don't raise that money unless you have millions of listeners who believe what you are saying.
From what I've read, the stations operate exclusively on donations from listeners.
It takes a LOT of listeners to have a worth of $120 million. The article also said:
"Once it gets mocked on The Simpsons, you know it's taken hold," said Ascough.

Ascough sees both a cultural fascination with end-of-the-world scenarios and a fascination with the Bible behind the appeal that religious groups such as Family Radio can hold for followers.
[quote]
On 2011-05-18 02:22, Devin Knight wrote:

It takes a LOT of listeners to have a worth of $120 million. The article also said:
"Once it gets mocked on The Simpsons, you know it's taken hold," said Ascough.
[/quote]
The Simpsons reference was not to the May 21 prophecy specifically, but to the entire 'End of Days' thing: "Family Radio is hardly the first group to predict the end. Movies, literature and television have told tales of a coming apocalypse, in many forms."

Based on what I have read, the VAST majority of listeners of Family Radio are NOT believers in the May 21 thing.

The radio station was set up in 1958 and making money LONG BEFORE the end of day May 21 prophecy started.
Devin, you've said a few times that you are curious how Mr Camping will get out of it. The answer is: in one of the usual ways. One way is to admit a miscalculation, but he's probably in too deep for that. He'll probably choose the "new revelation" method, which will be to say that due to the worthiness and energy of him and his followers, the world will be spared yet again. Many, if not most, of his followers will accept the explanation. Then another date will eventually be set, and the whole incident will reaffirm that they know the truth. The "new revelation" proves the worthiness of the prophet.

I mean, how many times has this happened before? About once a week back in the 19th century.
My guess is that on and after the 21st they will interpret ANY natural disaster, political upheaval, etc. as a sign that the Judgement has begun, thus prolonging things as we move to October. Slowly it will dawn on them that what is happening is what's always happening anyway and the disillusionment will begin.
Bob, you ain't much of a mind reader if you give us your guess. :) Stop "guessing". :lol:

There is a LOT of precedent for this (I'm too busy to look it up right now, but believe me, it's common). NEVER does wide-spread disillusionment begin. Most of the believers will still believe.

And the Kool-Aid incident was something else entirely. Most of the cults do not end up killing themselves (though many do, for that, too, is much more common than most would think).
Duck Hunters have been practicing for this fly over for decades.
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-608341?hpt=Sbin

During the past week, ads announcing a "Global Earthquake" on May 21, 2011 have popped up in New York City bus shelters. subway station platforms and cars.

According to local news reports, Robert Fitzpatrick. a retired NYC transit worker and Staten Island resident, has spent about $140.000 in the ads, what they call most of his life savings.

The ads also promote a self-published book by Fitzpatrick. "The Doomsday Code".

According to him, it all points to doomsday events coming up on May 21, 2011.
Whats interesting is that TV reporters have been interviewing people all over the the US who are handing out stuff about the 21st. Not one of the people interviewed sounded like a fool. All of them were educated and articulate people who really believe in this and are trying to warn others. A good number of these people have spent their life savings over the last few months believing this will happen. I thought only people who join cults could actually get sucked into stuff like this. Is life really that bad that people want and are looking forward to all of it ending?
Harold Camping is NOT the only one to determine that May 21 is the start of the end. I did some checking on Robert Fitzpatrick. He wrote a book about it, available from Amazon. Don't order it, the world will end before you can get it in the mail.
http://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Code-Robert-Fitzpatrick/dp/1609571215

Mankind has only one book that can prove itself to be the word of God. That book is the Bible. God took over 1,500 years to write it and now, more than 1,900 years after its completion, God has "unsealed" the Bible to reveal astonishing secrets it contains. The Bible tells us in Ecclesiastes 8:5: Whoso keepeth the commandment shall feel no evil thing: and a wise man's heart discerneth both time and judgment. God has promised to reveal not only the time when He will bring judgment on the earth, but also the nature of that judgment. In our day, God is using His ambassadors to warn the world that its time is almost over, and that they must be reconciled to Him or face the evil He is about to bring: five months of hell on earth. In The Doomsday Code, you will learn: • Why and when the earth was created. • What happens to a person who dies. • What the Bible reveals about conditions in today's local congregations of Christian churches, and what terrible thing happened there in recent history. • How we can know that Judgment Day begins on May 21, 2011 with a great earthquake, and that the last day of the earth's existence will be October 21, 2011. • What will happen to you if God has not saved you by May 21, 2011. • Which groups of people God will punish more severely during the five months of Judgment Day. • Whose countdown for the nation of Israel began on May 14, 1948. • How we can turn back our calendar to determine the date of the Crucifixion. The author is retired and lives in New York City.

So now we have TWO prophets. I know the bible speaks of two witnesses in the last days. Are these these two guys what the bible refers to.

TWO DIFFERENT PROPHETS with the same message...hmmm...can they both be wrong? YES!

He claims to know WHICH people God will punish more severely during the five months of Hell on earth. I sure hope it isn't phony psychics. If so I am in a LOT of trouble!
Ah Sunday the 22nd! Humiliation unleashed at full power. Vans and Billboards will scream CONFIRMED stupidity. Idiots, who gave away thier homes and bank accounts, will have devistated their families, yet the old fool in Oakland will still be allowed to spit his poison unscathed with some lame excuse...if he doesn't suck on an exaust pipe, terminally shamed for being a public dumbass.
Balducci is correct, this is little more than a curiosity except to devoted Harold Camping followers.
Wouldn't surprise me if they had a 'Kool Aid' social on that morning.

[img]http://www.strangecult.com/pisser/koolaid/km_picture_new.jpg[/img]
Hey guess who's fault it is! Surprise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk3ovpIfSz8
Homeboy's got some serious ears. I guess the Star Wars movies DID take place in the past, not the future, cuz this dude's got some Yoda in him.
The conservative Christian fixation with homosexuality is really interesting. I mean, gluttony is a sin, too, but you don't hear any grand pronouncements about how the world is going to end any day now because God is fed up with all the fat people running around and our general societal tolerance thereof.
I have brunch reservations on Sunday. Now I'm not sure if I should keep them or not. I assume all the heathens of the earth will still need to eat while I'm soaking up the good life on some heavenly beach, so I don't know if I should call and cancel so they have an extra table or what. Why couldn't Camping have indicated how to handle this situation???
TIME FINALLY EXPLAINED.

Cnn did an interview and finally I have been able to get to the bottom of what time zone.

Morrell explained that the massive doomsday earthquake will start at the International Date Line before moving west. New Zealand, he said, will get hit first – at 6 p.m. local time. And then that wave of destruction will roll around the world, wreaking havoc at 6 p.m. in each time zone.

Well I'm on the east coast in US, so you lucky guys in Vegas and CA will have 3 more hours to live before the earthquake kills you. You guys in the UK will go before us...too bad.
[quote]
On 2011-05-18 14:07, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I have brunch reservations on Sunday. Now I'm not sure if I should keep them or not. I assume all the heathens of the earth will still need to eat while I'm soaking up the good life on some heavenly beach, so I don't know if I should call and cancel so they have an extra table or what. Why couldn't Camping have indicated how to handle this situation???
[/quote]

Remember there is going to be a massive worldwide earthquake that will kill millions. If Camping is correct, the odds are that restaurant won't be standing or open for business. If every grave in the world is suppose to be torn asunder and the bodies are going to be cast out so the dead Christians can meet Jesus in the air...well that will be a horrific mess. Worst than any horror movie I can think of.
Harold Camping says Millions will die on May 21, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9acwNHKvoo&feature=related
Well, I'm 9 hours ahead of EST so I will let you guys know if the big one hit or not... if I remember to do so that is.
If the big one hits, you may not have electricity or internet service. We will be watching the news Saturday morning to see if any earthquakes hit the middle east. If they do, they we know the prediction is correct. That gives us all time in the US to repent before the quake hits us.
There were thumpers at every corner of every building on my campus today handing out bibblees. Every one was dressed like a used car salesman. I wonder if there is any connection between this onslaught of evangelism and the 'prophecy'?
[quote]
On 2011-05-18 08:08, Devin Knight wrote:
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-608341?hpt=Sbin

During the past week, ads announcing a "Global Earthquake" on May 21, 2011 have popped up in New York City bus shelters. subway station platforms and cars.

[/quote]

I wonder if they paid cash, or if they simply smiled and said "invoice me for the end of the month"?

John
I would think ads about this would be cash up front with no credit.
I'm near Cincinnati. According to Will Rogers, everything happens there ten years later. :)
Geez Devin, seems like this might have been a good year for you to attend IMX.

My friend Jo lives in Auckland but she's on vacation in Thailand. Now I know why.
I guess they figure they don't need the money now.

http://www.wecanknow.com/downloads/the-doomsday-code.pdf
Thanks for the link I just downloaded the book. If they are giving it away free, that means they really expect to be gone this weekend. I just found this information inside the PDF file which gives us the bottom line.

We may reasonably assume that very many
people, probably numbering in the hundreds of millions, will be
killed in the earthquake as a result of collapsing structures. Since
May 21 of 2011 will be a Saturday, perhaps a somewhat smaller
number will die than on a weekday. (If the earthquake strikes at or
soon after the sun sets over Jerusalem on May 20 - for that is
when the seventeenth day of the second month begins - it will still
be about mid-day on Friday in the United States). In any event, the
Bible paints a picture of a world of death.

The air will be badly contaminated in any area where there
is an industrial plant. Many chemicals, some highly corrosive, are
stored in great tanks in thousands of locations around the world.
These tanks will be badly damaged in the earthquake and spill out
whatever is stored in them. When these toxic fluids and gases are
exposed to the air, poisonous clouds will result. The severe
pollution that results will sicken many persons, some severely
enough to kill them.

Many dams, perhaps all of them, will collapse. All around
the world, there are some dams of immense size. The catastrophic
failure of the great dams will cause very many deaths.
Perhaps tsunamis will kill even more people than collapsing
structures. The earthquake may create waves of such size and force
that they travel several miles inland - further than ever before in
any area which has historically suffered these disasters. Many
areas which have never experienced a tsunami in all their recorded
history will also be destroyed by a towering wall of water.
Additionally, many volcanoes may erupt immediately after the
earthquake. Fires, resulting from hot lava flows, are also to be
expected. Besides the immediate destruction and deaths caused by
these eruptions, there may be also be a global impact on air quality
as enormous amounts of volcanic ash are carried high into the
atmosphere and fires rage in areas around the volcanoes.

At any moment on any day, there must be millions of
people all over the world traveling by car and in other types of
motor vehicles. Some of these drivers may be able to pull over
safely and stop when the earthquake begins; but for most of them,
there won't be enough time. There will be a tremendous number of
accidents and fatalities as vehicles crash into each other and into
slabs of broken concrete on highways and streets. Trees, light
poles, and pieces of various structures will fall and kill many
vehicle occupants. Bridges will collapse, dropping many vehicles
to the earth and waters below. Underwater and underground
tunnels will fail. Occupants of vehicles in these tunnels will drown.

Big cities depend on the continuing arrival of trucks for
their food supplies. The trucks will stop coming. Before long,
people will begin to starve. Even worse, the vast network of pipes
supplying water to the public will be badly damaged. The day of
the earthquake may be the last day many people have running
water in their homes.
Many fuel pipelines will be broken. Fuel will spill out of
these damaged pipelines, contaminating the environment. It may
be reasonably expected that in some locations escaped fuel will
ignite, resulting in terrible fires.
Holy Cow, we are all doomed if this comes true! This does sound like the end of the world IF IT HAPPENS. This would be a GREAT script for a disaster movie, probably the best one ever made. If this doesn't happen, he should sell his book as a movie script!
An earthquake big enough to affect the whole world would only be caused by a few things- and all of them would be exceptionally catastrophic (and fatal to humanity before October.) The two big one that come to my mind are a large asteroid impact, and a super caldera eruption. (Like the one sitting under Yosemite.)
A divine event hardly needs a known, natural cause.
That sounds like the premise to a Michael Bay movie. In fact it sounds like the premise to EVERY Michael Bay movie.
A different perspective follows:

I am a Christian who used to be a regular listener of Harold Camping. He impressed me as a good man with an extremely detailed knowledge of the Bible. There were times when I would go to the Bible to check up on him and found him to truthful and accurate.

Of course that changed when he came out with this end of the world prediction. I tried to follow his logic by reading the scriptures that he claims is infallible proof that the God has blessed us with this information. I could not make sense of it and even called him on his radio program and spoke to him personally. I still didn’t get it. How can a man who has obviously painstakingly studied the Bible reach such an absurd conclusion?

Still, I have never spoken to anyone in my lifetime who knows more about the Bible than this man. Is it possible that he is correct and, in our ignorance, we are all doomed?

Kool-aid anyone? :drinkup:
I've never put any faith in the "rapture." Jesus was clear that at the final judgment, at the end of the world. Those left behind are the righteous. The first to go are the bad. Matthew 13:24-30. So, if anything were to happen on the 21st and Pastor Camping and his believers go, then that is the culling of the herd.
Well, so much for the Mayans. ;)
I wonder if Michael Stipe feels fine about all this.
I'm joining my Facebook peeps and sneaking out early Sunday morning to leave old sets of shoes, pants and shirts outside of a few churches. "Hey, why'd we get left behind?!?" Heh heh heh!
If it starts at 6:00pm at the International Date Line, and the U.S. Eastern Time Zone is 19 hours behind the IDL, wouldn't we (in EST) know about it at 1:00pm on Friday?
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 10:05, Skip Way wrote:
I'm joining my Facebook peeps and sneaking out early Sunday morning to leave old sets of shoes, pants and shirts outside of a few churches. "Hey, why'd we get left behind?!?" Heh heh heh!
[/quote]

Now THAT'S funny! Thanks for the idea!

Bob
[quote]

[/quote]
Assuming the rapture does not come on May 21, it would be something if Camping and his key followers were able to successfully hide themselves from public view so as to make it appear that it possibly did.
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 10:22, Beano wrote:
If it starts at 6:00pm at the International Date Line, and the U.S. Eastern Time Zone is 19 hours behind the IDL, wouldn't we (in EST) know about it at 1:00pm on Friday?
[/quote]

Yes, although I don't expect this to happen, I will be monitoring CNN news starting Saturday just to see IF any earthquakes are happening anywhere that day.

BTW, CNN asked if they could be with the group on May 21 to film what happens. The group declined and said they were too busy and it would be too late to warn people. Most of the group have said they will be at home with family awaiting the end on the 2lst.

Camping did say in an interview this week, that he wasn't sure of the hour being 6PM. Here is what he said:

"We cannot say emphatically that it’s 6 pm. There’s a lot of information that looks at the probability of 6 pm in any city in the world–when that great earthquake will occur. It could be that it might be just one great earthquake, but there is enough evidence in the Bible that says it will begin at one point in the world, and it could be at 6 pm—that’s a great possibility. Then as it gets to be May 21 in any other country—there will be a great earthquake there.

But we know absolutely, without any shadow of a doubt, that May 21 will be the day.

By the end of 24 hours, the whole world will have been destroyed.

The purpose of the earthquake is three-fold: it will be enormously destructive as God is destroying the earth. Secondly, the people who died as true believers, they will come out of their tombs with their glorified spiritual bodies and will be caught up to be with Christ."

Read the full article here:
http://inthearena.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/17/harold-camping-prepares-for-judgment-day-may-21-2011/?hpt=C2

So guys if at 6PM we don't have a quake, don't be discouraged. It may not strike until 10PM that night when you least expect it.
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 10:41, balducci wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
Assuming the rapture does not come on May 21, it would be something if Camping and his key followers were able to successfully hide themselves from public view so as to make it appear that it possibly did.
[/quote]

Hiding won't do it. He has predicted a massive earthquake following the rapture. NO EARTHQUAKE, means no rapture. The Bible guarantees it!
A RAY OF HOPE!
We unbelievers WILL NOT BURN IN HELL FOREVER...thank God for that. Here is what the prophet said during his interview:
"For the unbelievers, the moment they die, they will never again have conscious existence. That is something that churches have never taught. They have never understood. They thought the Bible said they would go to Hell and be punished there forever as a result of their sins. The Bible says that the wages of sin is death, and the word “Hell” is actually a synonym for the grave."

This is the same thing the atheists teach. When you die, you die there is no further conscious existence.
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 10:45, Devin Knight wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 10:41, balducci wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hiding won't do it. He has predicted a massive earthquake following the rapture. NO EARTHQUAKE, means no rapture. The Bible guarantees it!
[/quote]
As I said, ASSUMING the rapture DOES NOT COME on May 21, etc. etc.

But I doubt that Camping and his followers would have the inclination to pull off such a disappearing act, even though it would make for a great episode of punked.
Thanks for that link.

There are some Christian sects that teach that there is no literal Hell also.

I believe that it is, of course, possible that there will be a giant earthquake at any given time. To say it's not possible is, to me, like saying that a hurricane, tornado, or any other such thing is not possible at any given time.

I also believe the chances of Mr. Camping looking like a fool in a few days is pretty high.

I was planning on spending Friday with my mom anyway, before I heard of any of this, so whether or not it's our last day together (and at 82 with Alzheimer's Disease - Mom, not me - it's possible) it will be a good day for both of us.
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 10:35, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Now THAT'S funny! Thanks for the idea!

Bob
[/quote]

No, they would come out of the churches, see the clothes, and think, "Is *this* really the best they can come up with? Heck, they didn't even notice the same joke was mentioned earlier in the same thread in the Café!" :)
So here we are at the last full day on Earth.
25 hours to go for us here (EST).

Oh wait, I'm on EDT - Daylight Time. I didn't see where he said anything about Standard vs. Daylight time. Since not all time zones participate in DST, how would that go. Do I have 23, 24, 25, or 26 hours?

Dang, now my head hurts.
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 10:42, Devin Knight wrote:

Camping did say in an interview this week, that he wasn't sure of the hour being 6PM. Here is what he said:

"We cannot say emphatically that it’s 6 pm. There’s a lot of information that looks at the probability of 6 pm in any city in the world–when that great earthquake will occur. It could be that it might be just one great earthquake, but there is enough evidence in the Bible that says it will begin at one point in the world, and it could be at 6 pm—that’s a great possibility. Then as it gets to be May 21 in any other country—there will be a great earthquake there.

[/quote]

Interesting that he uses 6pm as his time and it is really interesting that in this block of text, he uses 6 three times. That is one hell of a Freudian slip.
The reason they don't want CNN with them on the last day has nothing to do with being busy spending time with family. Many of these people LEFT their families behind to go on this ridiculous voyage across the US spreading this nonsense. They don't want CNN there because they don't want the rest of the world to see their dumbfounded expressions when the world does not, in fact, come to an end. I for one would give anything to be a fly on the wall in whatever bunker they're awaiting the rapture in.
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 11:50, critter wrote:
[/quote]

70 bags of mulch to spread,
...and it's still raining.
[quote]
[/quote]

Wait, I was off by a day. Strike this from the record. I was just so excited.
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 13:07, critter wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Wait, I was off by a day. Strike this from the record. I was just so excited.
[/quote]
Thanks, I feel much better now. Maybe I can get some of the tomatoes in too.
Just in case, it's been nice knowing you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0gSUPjVA0
It is interesting that after Harold Camping said that millions of dead bodies would be ripped from their graves Saturday that the GOVERNMENT has released how to prepare for dealing with the living dead. Perhaps they fear that GOD would turn all those dead people into zombies as part of the punishiment. This story has been carried by Time Magazine, LA Time, and NY times.
Here is a link to the actual CDC website. This is the real site, not a joke.
Read it so you can prepare, just in case the dead come back to life this Saturday during the great earthquake.
http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp
So who was the first doomsday prophet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0KHt8xrQkk
And who was the youngest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBBYXt9Uyk0
Devin, and all in the U.S. Eastern Time Zone:

I knew my math was wrong before.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?month=5&day=21&year=2011&hour=18&min=0&sec=0&p1=264&p2=418

When it's Saturday 6:00pm in Wellington, New Zealand (which is in the same time zone as the International Date Line (right?), it will be Saturday 2:00am here (Eastern Time Zone)

So, there's 29 hours, 53 minutes to go.

I'm not obsessing, I'm not obsessing, I'm not obsessing, I'm not obsessing, I'm not obsessing, I'm not obsessing, I'm not obsessing, just bored and restless.
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 00:18, Ken Northridge wrote:
...How can a man who has obviously painstakingly studied the Bible reach such an absurd conclusion?...
[/quote]

You may well have answered your own question. :light:
Harold Camping has been posting daily countdown videos on YOU TUBE. He is still insisting the world will end this Saturday. Not a chance of it not happening. He covered the so-called out that some have mentioned in this thread about using the excuse it didn't happen because the believers convinced god to change his mind. He said that was NOT going to happen, the believers COULD NOT convince God to change his mind. God knew Judgment day and revealed it in the Bible, hence Camping says there is NO WAY that the world will NOT END this Saturday. He says to wait and see...it is going to happen.

He said in 1994 he was rushed and not sure. He made a mistake. He says he has checked and double checked. There is NO mistake, no wrong calculations.This time he has it right and there is NO CHANCE of him being wrong!

You have to admire this guy's conviction!

OK Pastor Camping...I am skeptical but I have an open mind...you say wait and see...Ok I am eagerly awaiting Saturday, since you say there is no way this will not happen. Most of the world thinks you're delusional. That is probably the case, but you keep insisting, wait and see, it positively will happen, no doubt, because GOD has said it would happen.

Ok, I will wait and hold off Judgment...until Sunday...

Did you guys notice the FULL PAGE ad in USA TODAY proclaiming the world will end Saturday?
I mentioned this to my daughter who replied, "Won't his cheeks be red on Sunday morning?"
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 21:18, Steve_Mollett wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 00:18, Ken Northridge wrote:
...How can a man who has obviously painstakingly studied the Bible reach such an absurd conclusion?...
[/quote]

You may well have answered your own question. :light:
[/quote]

Speaking of absurd conclusions... :)

Ken, HC is known for his ability to claim to *not* understand some of the more 'standard' things about the Bible, but claim *to* understand....things such as this. When you read through his reasoning process as to how he came to his conclusion, you just have to shake your head.

We see all kinds of people in every walk of life, and he's one of them/us.
Is the end coming before or after the "Preakness"?
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 18:33, Devin Knight wrote:
It is interesting that after Harold Camping said that millions of dead bodies would be ripped from their graves Saturday that the GOVERNMENT has released how to prepare for dealing with the living dead...

Here is a link to the actual CDC website. This is the real site, not a joke.

Read it so you can prepare, just in case the dead come back to life this Saturday during the great earthquake.
http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp
[/quote]

"When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth."

- Peter (no, not *that* Peter!)
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 19:11, Beano wrote:

[/quote]

That would be the Prophet Adam. ;)
[quote]
On 2011-05-17 20:28, Devin Knight wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
Here is their answer:
The fact so many church leaders are insisting Christ will come as a "thief in the night" (that is, no one can know the day or the hour) is another very important Biblical 'sign' Christ's return is very close. Far too many people mistakenly presume they are at "Peace" with God and therefore in "safety."
[/quote]

I'm still not getting this. If the Bible, the revealed word of God, states in black and white (or red and white as the case may be) that we are not to know the day and time then why does this man insist he does know?

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp04192011.shtml

CHURCH LADY: "Hmmm, now who do we know who might possibly believe they understand the word of God better than Jesus himself? Could it be... SATAN!?"

Seriously, in one of the "People's Almanacs" (I had two and there was a third) the story is told of a pastor who claimed that the world would end on a certain date in 1900. He recalculated three times before his followers finally left him. I remember in that case, people also sold everything they owned and bought special "ascendtion robes" (sold by the pastor himself of course) to await the upcoming Rapture.

On the second date (remember, he predicted this three times in all) there was a sudden spring downpour which the followers took as a sign that the Rapture was beginning... apparently God does have a sense of humor.
There goes my weekend.:(
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 04:37, ed rhodes wrote:

I'm still not getting this. If the Bible, the revealed word of God, states in black and white (or red and white as the case may be) that we are not to know the day and time then why does this man insist he does know?

[/quote]
Pastor Camping's answer to this:
Sadly, many assume no human being can know, because they mistakenly believe even Jesus himself does not know the day or hour of His own return.

The belief Christ will come "as a thief in the night" for everyone, including Christ's people, is the foundational basis for which most Christians, including church leaders and pastors reject May 21, 2011.

However, God has written in His Word he will tell his people exactly what he plans before he brings it to pass:

"Surely the LORD GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." (Prophet being in this case MR. CAMPING)

God's "beloved" people are not in darkness that that day would come upon them as a thief in the night. God graciously has written in I Thessalonians 5 verse 4

"But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day (the rapture) should overtake you as a thief."
On Judgement Day its inevitable that some of the Judgements will be wrong - can someone let me know where I can download a copy of the Appeals Procedure?
It might come in handy, especially for all those lawyers who can earn a fortune fighting all the miscarriages of justice.
Will this be on Pay Per View? Or can I see the end of the world on regular TV?

Ron
PS - an anagram for Harold is... "AH LORD"!
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 09:31, R.S. wrote:
Will this be on Pay Per View? Or can I see the end of the world on regular TV?

Ron
PS - an anagram for Harold is... "AH LORD"!
[/quote]

Just go outside and look around you Saturday at 6PM, it is suppose to be worldwide!
Well, if Sunday does roll around, Camping may be mortally embarassed, but the Family Radio station running all the ads and billboards will have generated a ton of publicity. And they may have made a few people more fervently religious, but who knows if that will last beyond the weekend.

Don't know what'll happen about the people who sold their homes and donated all their money to the cause- I imagine Camping will have a lot of angry people to answer to. (And then they'll go on welfare.)
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1677098,00.html

Anyone remember this deal? Oral Roberts said God would "call him home" if he didn't get millions of dollars in something like 3 months? HE got his money, sadly enough.

BUT that is my favorite vision of God personally. God as a mafia loan shark. I mean what if he only got half the money? God would just break his leg or whatever? I mean what sort of vig was God charging the guy?

Oh well I digress, but since we are near the end I am entitled.
OK now it's the actual last day. Hope you've all stocked up on zombie fighting gear.
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 11:30, critter wrote:
OK now it's the actual last day. Hope you've all stocked up on zombie fighting gear.
[/quote]

I got my shotgun, my pistol, a melee weapon. I been practicing my survial skill in Left For Dead 2 on the xbox and Resident Evil on the Playstation.
Familyradio.com is getting so many hits you can seldom get into the site. Your browser freezes up. I guess a lot of people seeing this last minute ad blitz are going there to see what is going on.

BTW, according to Camping, TODAY is the last day you can repent and be saved. Tomorrow God closes the door. If you wait until the earthquake starts it will be too late, God will show you no mercy....so he says.

Supposedly, after today NOBODY can ever be saved again..just like the people who banged on the doors of the ark once it started raining...god wouldn't let them in.....

Well,I guess that means if you are on the fence and are having doubts, you better doing something today.

For me, I will take my chances.
The WECANKNOW.Com web site has posted the following:

Dear Friends,

With our Lord's Return such a short time away, we are no longer offering free printed materials since there is not enough time remaining for us to effectively produce and distribute them.
May the Lord bless and strengthen His elect as we await His Glorious Return on May 21, 2011.

WeCanKnow.com

Well that should convince anyone that these people REALLY BELIEVE tomorrow is the end. They have also removed their donation button. I guess they know they don't need donations anymore.
To be saved do you have to believe in Jesus....or Harold Camping?
Amituofo, y'all!
[quote]
[/quote]
[img]http://cdn.svcs.c2.uclick.com/c2/527019405e98012ee3bf00163e41dd5b[/img]
If it happens, I am not ready, I will be left behind to face gnashing of teeth knowing my city will soon be destroyed along with me. I fully expect to be here Monday unless of die in a car wreak this weekend...and not because of an earthquake!
Bah!

It's Saturday already here in Malaysia...

And...

Nothing.

I really want to hear his excuses.
It's not 6PM in Malaysia yet...
Yes, it is not yet.

If I go out first at 6pm I'll tell you guys ok... ;)
Kiritimati, in the Christmas Islands, will be the first to go, in about six and a half hours.
As you all know; Malaysia is latin for "Bad Asia," so it only makes sense that Revalation would start there.
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 17:34, critter wrote:
As you all know; Malaysia is latin for "Bad Asia," so it only makes sense that Revalation would start there.
[/quote]

:worry: :rotf:
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 04:15, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-19 19:11, Beano wrote:

[/quote]

That would be the Prophet Adam. ;)
[/quote]

Yep, as soon as he saw that naked chick running around the garden, he knew he was doomed. :)
As I posted earlier, Camping said the 6PM may be off, but it would happen sometime May 21, no chance of that being wrong. So he is NOT wrong until it been May 22 EVERYWHERE in the world. We've waited 2000 years for this, what's a few more hours?
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 18:00, Devin Knight wrote:
We've waited 2000 years for this, what's a few more hours?
[/quote]

Man, you're older than you look! You should update your avatar.
So basically he is saying on the 21st plus or minus a few trillion hours?
[quote]
Speaking of absurd conclusions... :)
[/quote]

Yes--I am. :)
A 5.2 earthquake hit Turkey, late last night. Is this just the start?
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/05/20/turkey.earthquake/index.html?hpt=Sbin
What are the odds that an earthquake would hit in Turkey?
No--that's the pre-game show. :)
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 19:26, Salguod Nairb wrote:
What are the odds that an earthquake would hit in Turkey?
[/quote]

MUCH greater than the odds that the world will end as Camping says.

Ron
Camping says there will earthquakes all over the world May 21. Normally if a psychic makes a prediction and it occurs 24 hours prior or after, it is considered a hit. Who knows GOD may be warming up for the big one to follow.

For now I am going to consider it a hit, more have to follow as only 1 earthquake isn't the end of the world. Still it is interesting it hit within 24 hours of his doomsday prediction. As said, this could be the pre-game show. I will be monitoring CNN news on and off during the next 24 hours seeing if any earthquake happens.

Yes, I have got better things to do with my time, but this is interesting and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, that is why I posted the first earthquake news.
Yer easy. The end of the world starts several times a day, I guess.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php
He is going to need some earthquakes of 8.50 or higher...maybe even some 10s to pull this off. Of course the bible says the earthquake will unlike any ever seen before or thereafter....so I guess we are talking a 12.
I would expect the dial to be set to at least '11'.

[img]http://citifield.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/spinaltap-11.jpg[/img]
CNN POSTED A LIST OF SONGS TO LISTEN TO WHILE THE WORLD ENDS TOMORROW...you can listen tonight too
“Eve of Destruction” by Barry McGuire

“It’s the End of the World” by REM

“Until the End of Time” by 2Pac

“The End” by The Doors

“Until the End of the World” by U2

“Waiting for the End of the World” by Elvis Costello

“Doomsday Clock” by Smashing Pumpkins

“Apocalypse Please” by Muse

“The End of the World” by Skeeter Davis
Don't forget "So Long, It's Been Good To Know Ya" by Woody Guthrie.
Here's Lord Byron's vision of the end of the world

Darkness

I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguished, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air;
Morn came and went -and came, and brought no day,
And men forgot their passions in the dread
Of this their desolation; and all hearts
Were chilled into a selfish prayer for light;
And they did live by watchfires -and the thrones,
The palaces of crowned kings -the huts,
The habitations of all things which dwell,
Were burnt for beacons; cities were consumed,
And men were gathered round their blazing homes
To look once more into each other's face;
Happy were those which dwelt within the eye
Of the volcanoes, and their mountain-torch;
A fearful hope was all the world contained;
Forests were set on fire -but hour by hour
They fell and faded -and the crackling trunks
Extinguished with a crash -and all was black.
The brows of men by the despairing light
Wore an unearthly aspect, as by fits
The flashes fell upon them: some lay down
And hid their eyes and wept; and some did rest
Their chins upon their clenched hands, and smiled;
And others hurried to and fro, and fed
Their funeral piles with fuel, and looked up
With mad disquietude on the dull sky,
The pall of a past world; and then again
With curses cast them down upon the dust,
And gnashed their teeth and howled; the wild birds shrieked,
And, terrified, did flutter on the ground,
And flap their useless wings; the wildest brutes
Came tame and tremulous; and vipers crawled
And twined themselves among the multitude,
Hissing, but stingless -they were slain for food;
And War, which for a moment was no more,
Did glut himself again; -a meal was bought
With blood, and each sate sullenly apart
Gorging himself in gloom: no love was left;
All earth was but one thought -and that was death,
Immediate and inglorious; and the pang
Of famine fed upon all entrails -men
Died, and their bones were tombless as their flesh;
The meagre by the meagre were devoured,
Even dogs assailed their masters, all save one,
And he was faithful to a corse, and kept
The birds and beasts and famished men at bay,
Till hunger clung them, or the drooping dead
Lured their lank jaws; himself sought out no food,
But with a piteous and perpetual moan,
And a quick desolate cry, licking the hand
Which answered not with a caress -he died.
The crowd was famished by degrees; but two
Of an enormous city did survive,
And they were enemies: they met beside
The dying embers of an altar-place
Where had been heaped a mass of holy things
For an unholy usage: they raked up,
And shivering scraped with their cold skeleton hands
The feeble ashes, and their feeble breath
Blew for a little life, and made a flame
Which was a mockery; then they lifted up
Their eyes as it grew lighter, and beheld
Each other's aspects -saw, and shrieked, and died -
Even of their mutual hideousness they died,
Unknowing who he was upon whose brow
Famine had written Fiend. The world was void,
The populous and the powerful was a lump,
Seasonless, herbless, treeless, manless, lifeless -
A lump of death -a chaos of hard clay.
The rivers, lakes, and ocean all stood still,
And nothing stirred within their silent depths;
Ships sailorless lay rotting on the sea,
And their masts fell down piecemeal; as they dropped
They slept on the abyss without a surge -
The waves were dead; the tides were in their grave,
The Moon, their mistress, had expired before;
The winds were withered in the stagnant air,
And the clouds perished! Darkness had no need
Of aid from them -She was the Universe!
[quote]On 2011-05-20 20:33, Beano wrote:
Don't forget "So Long, It's Been Good To Know Ya" by Woody Guthrie.[/quote]
And [b][i]The End[/i][/b] by the Beatles.
"No Mas" by Roberto Duran
Something is up and it is NOT the end of the world. Family Radio is already making plans to continue on Monday. Look at this information from CNN:
But overall, she estimates about 80% of her coworkers don't even agree with Camping's May 21 forecast. She has stuck to her work as usual, booking appointments and filling up calendars for her coworkers well beyond the May 21 date.

Meanwhile, some employees are questioning the meaning of Harold Camping's goodbye letter sent to the Family Radio mailing list last week. While he says farewell, he encourages employees to "steadfastly continue to stand with us to proclaim the Gospel through Family Radio."

Could that mean he plans on disappearing, but the company should still go about its business as usual?
Read the whole article here:
http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/19/news/economy/may-21-end-of-the-world-finances-harold-camping/index.htm?hpt=C1

Read the letter he wrote to his staff here:
http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/19/news/economy/may-21-end-of-the-world-finances-harold-camping/index.htm?hpt=C1

Sounds like either he is going to disappear with millions of dollars or commit suicide. This is beginning to sound like one big scam.

AFTER READING THIS...I am sure nothing will happen tomorrow. His own staff doesn't believe it.
You needed to read that to be convinced???
I wasn't aware that his own staff didn't believe him. I first thought that he believed what he was saying, but now I have my doubts. He said in interviews he was tired and looking forward to retiring. Could this mean, the end of the world means the end of the world for Pastor Camping? Could this be one big joke with him killing himself tomorrow saying the lord has called him home.

That letter he wrote to his staff telling them to continue on after he left, proves he doesn't believe the world will end tomorrow. I'm sure in the next few weeks it will all come out what he had really planned.
I didn't expect anything to happen tomorrow. I just thought he was sincere but delusional. Now I believe he knows good and well nothing will happen, otherwise he wouldn't have written that letter.
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 21:27, Devin Knight wrote:

Sounds like either he is going to disappear with millions of dollars or commit suicide. This is beginning to sound like one big scam.

AFTER READING THIS...I am sure nothing will happen tomorrow. His own staff doesn't believe it.
[/quote]
I don't see where you get that from. Sounds to me like he expects to be taken up into heaven, but he is not so sure about his doubting staff members.
Well, I guess I should say my goodbyes now. It has been a pleasure knowing most of you. I'm guessing I might even be joined by a few of you on the way up tomorrow. ;)
Here is something you can read while you are waiting to cash in your chips:

http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/appendix3.html
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 05:07, Devin Knight wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-20 04:37, ed rhodes wrote:

[/quote]
Pastor Camping's answer to this:

[/quote]

Still not explaining why Matthew says no one can know except God!

As far as the "24 hours = a hit," I have to say no. If he's predicting something as significant as the Rapture, he's not allowed any wiggle room. It happens within THIS 24 hour period or he's full of it.
Lots of money in doomsday whether it is climate, population, pollution or whatever.
Shouldn't it have hit New Zealand by now, according to that guy?
Yes, it should have, nothing is going to happen. He is full of it. I bet the true believers are beginning to get worried since there is no news of major mayhem starting to spread anywhere in the world.

Heck, I haven't even seen any reports of missing people.
WHAT A MAJOR LETDOWN...but the day isn't over yet.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 00:36, ed rhodes wrote:
Still not explaining why Matthew says no one can know except God![/quote]

Yes, but that passage also debunks the idea of a trilogy, that many Christians errantly hold onto.

But let's not digress... I've not heard of any but the "usual" type and number of earthquakes yet. Anybody?
Devin, with all due respect, I have to wonder why you feel it necessary to keep tellin us that he is full of it and that nothing is going to happen. I don't think there is anyone on here who thought that he just 'might' be right. I don't think I'm in the minority when I say we pretty much all know the guy is a crackpot.
Yea I was wondering that myself.
Because this is PERSONAL to me. I have family members and religious friends who bought into this crap, and they are STILL insisting it will happen today. I am very UPSET with what he has done, and the lives he has ruined. Even Harold's own kids didn't buy into this, but unfortunately there were many people who did and I'm mad as hell, that he has ruined some people's lives that I call friends, as misguided as they may be!
Just to clarify something. The Bible does explicitly say that we will not know the time nor hour of Christ's return. Anyone who thinks they know the time or hour are indeed crackpots. Just because this person calls himself a Christian does not mean that he represents us. Many of us believe that we will not know the time nor hour of Christ's return because the scriptures tell us directly. There is no room in misinterpretating it.

There are fanatics in all religions and cults, and I would clasify this fellow to be more part of a cult than a Christian organization. It makes for good converstaion though. If it gets even unbelievers talking about God, I think it's good.
It is way pass 6 PM in the Philippines where my family is and they are still there, and it is pass the time here as well. The only tragic thing today is that my cereal got soggy while I was on the phone working.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:13, Devin Knight wrote:
Because this is PERSONAL to me. I have family members and religious friends who bought into this crap, and they are STILL insisting it will happen today. I am very UPSET with what he has done, and the lives he has ruined. Even Harold's own kids didn't buy into this, but unfortunately there were many people who did and I'm mad as hell, that he has ruined some people's lives that I call friends, as misguided as they may be!
[/quote]

Then perhaps instead of preaching to the choir, it would be better served if you talked to THEM? Why bother with those of us who agree>?
I went to the Family Radio web site to hear what their current broadcasts might be.

It doesn't seem to be online today.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:27, Dannydoyle wrote:
Then perhaps instead of preaching to the choir, it would be better served if you talked to THEM?
[/quote]

Sounds like there's not much use talking to them through today, and tomorrow, they'll know they were wrong whether he talks to them or not.
[quote]
[/quote]
Just keep in mind that this fellow does not represent Christians. This guy is a cult leader, and should not be a reflection on the Christian church. Crackpots show up in all different types of religions, and the Christian church is no exception. True believers know that we will not know the time nor hour of Christ's return. It is sad to see those who were weak in their faith fall for this fool. Perhaps today most of them will have their eyes open, and that their so-called leader will be exposed for who he truly is.
This is my last post on this...I have tried talking with them...their reply was...GOD HAS BLINDED ME to the truth. Quoting the scriptures that if you reject God, he will let you believe a lie and be ***ed, etc. They kept saying, wait and you'll see. Well, out of respect to my misguided family and friends...I have waited giving them the benefit of the doubt. So far I have seen nothing...but people who have wasted the last few months of their lives expecting to be raptured away today.
Dude, you just don't get it. They will believe no matter what. Nothing you can do will change that.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:26, Salguod Nairb wrote:
It is way pass 6 PM in the Philippines where my family is and they are still there, and it is pass the time here as well. The only tragic thing today is that my cereal got soggy while I was on the phone working.
[/quote]

Oh no, NO! Surely soggy cereal is the first in an on-going series of events that will lead to our destruction!
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:36, Devin Knight wrote:

This is my last post on this...I have tried talking with them...their reply was...GOD HAS BLINDED ME to the truth. Quoting the scriptures that if you reject God, he will let you believe a lie and be ***ed, etc. They kept saying, wait and you'll see. Well, out of respect to my misguided family and friends...I have waited giving them the benefit of the doubt.
[/quote]
I was wondering why this appeared to be so personal to you. I don't recall you mentioning family and friends being involved before.

Still, it would be interesting to hear their take on this in a few days after they have really absorbed it.

I have to add, for all the supposed publicity this had, I never once saw a story about this on Canadian TV or a billboard about this in a Canadian city. Not saying those things did not happen. But I think the vast majority of the publicity was probably focused on a couple of U.S. cities, and possibly one or two random locations around the world.
I believe that the Universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure. I live in perpetual fear of the time I call "The Coming of the Great White Handkerchief"
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:27, Dannydoyle wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Then perhaps instead of preaching to the choir, it would be better served if you talked to THEM? Why bother with those of us who agree>?
[/quote]

Geez, Danny, why are YOU taking it so personal? How do you know Devin has *not* talked with - and is continuing to talk with - his family? How is this bothering you?
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:47, Salguod Nairb wrote:
I believe that the Universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure. I live in perpetual fear of the time I call "The Coming of the Great White Handkerchief"
[/quote]

[img]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/downboyz/towelie.jpg[/img]
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:00, Beano wrote:
[quote]

Yes, but that passage also debunks the idea of a trilogy...

[/quote]

No, it does not. :)
[/quote]

I have to add, for all the supposed publicity this had, I never once saw a story about this on Canadian TV or a billboard about this in a Canadian city. Not saying those things did not happen. But I think the vast majority of the publicity was probably focused on a couple of U.S. cities, and possibly one or two random locations around the world.
[/quote]
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/12/suicide-pacts-feared-on-may-21-end
It's been in some of the newspapers here, there's been some mention of it around.

Another song for your list:

http://youtu.be/k9IfHDi-2EA

Beautiful day here in Canada. Why do the birds go on singing?

Laurie
Anger is the emotion that I am feeling about this today.

I mentioned earlier on this thread that I was once a regular listener of Harold Camping. I respected him as a Bible teacher because he knows the Bible better than anyone I have ever heard. He lost me when he came out with this prediction. I just couldn’t make sense of it.

What a shame, this man had the motivation to build a world-wide radio broadcast. He had the opportunity share the good news of the Bible with the world and ends up doing a great disservice and embarrassing Christians.

[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:16, Gospel Dan wrote:
If it gets even unbelievers talking about God, I think it's good.
[/quote]

I would like to think that Dan, but I’m afraid to say any talk that has been generated by this does not reflect well on Christians.
One more:

http://youtu.be/66dBpSWyZdw
And how 'bout:

http://youtu.be/PIQl6ygRqhw
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:56, Chessmann wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

Yes, but that passage also debunks the idea of a trilogy...

[/quote]

No, it does not. :)
[/quote]

Well, you only picked the part of my post that you want to argue, rather the the whole thing, so I will not get into it with you. But you have proven my second point.
I must say I feel very bad for all those people being duped by false prophecy's and this pre-apocalyptic BS. Harold Camping is just another man preying on the weak minded, and I certainly hope this man gets the ass whooping he so deserves. I also know many people falling prey to this "Scheme" and it really does anger me. Here we are 12:27 PM Eastern Time and no reports of chaos or floating souls anywhere on the planet. Please don't get me wrong I'm a God fearing man but I don't fear or buy into this schmucks false prophecy's. But Mr.Camping, I'm still awaiting my big earthquake and waiting to see the clothes drop and souls ascend into heaven as you promised they would. However, better yet I'm awaiting your response as to why it didn't happen tomorrow on 5/22/11. So for now its a cold miller lite, a smoke, and working on my Faro LOL!!!!

I will certainly talk to you all tomorrow. But just remember spend time with your families as DOOMSDAY is family day!!! ;)

-Bobby :)
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:58, Devin Knight wrote:

[quote]
Balducci wrote:

[/quote]
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/12/suicide-pacts-feared-on-may-21-end
[/quote]
As I said, I saw nothing about this on Canadian TELEVISION. Nor did I see a billboard with my own eyes. The article says there were 85 billboards in Canada. Far from a big whoop if you consider how many cities there are in Canada, or what its population is.
Beano, that's right, because earthquakes issue was pretty clear.

I've proven your second point....about earthquakes? Well, you're right - no earthquake issues anywhere near the type that HC predicted.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:03, Ken Northridge wrote:
I would like to think that Dan, but I’m afraid to say any talk that has been generated by this does not reflect well on Christians.
[/quote]

As a non-Christian with a few Christian friends (including my best friend, who is a magician also), I'll give you my perspective - it doesn't reflect well or poorly on Christians. It reflects poorly on one particular guy (and to a lesser extent, those who buy into his belief), but it doesn't reflect on Christians in general at all. The Christians I know have the same belief as the non- Christians I know: this guy's full of it. Just like a lot of Jews, Muslims, atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, and every other group.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:26, atouchofmagic1 wrote:
...Please don't get me wrong I'm a God fearing man...
[/quote]

Not to get off subject, but I never understood this phrase. Why would you fear God?
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
As a non-Christian with a few Christian friends (including my best friend, who is a magician also), I'll give you my perspective - it doesn't reflect well or poorly on Christians. It reflects poorly on one particular guy (and to a lesser extent, those who buy into his belief), but it doesn't reflect on Christians in general at all. The Christians I know have the same belief as the non- Christians I know: this guy's full of it.
[/quote]

Well put.
[quote]
[quote]

Yes, but that passage also debunks the idea of a trilogy, that many Christians errantly hold onto.

But let's not digress... I've not heard of any but the "usual" type and number of earthquakes yet. Anybody?
[/quote]

No, it doesn't. From a non-theological standpoint it would, but from a theological standpoint it fits perfectly.
Wonder how many pages this topic will be by the end of the day?
As an aside, here's a thing to ponder: If you KNEW a certain day was going to be YOUR last day on Earth, how you spend the day?

I was sick on my mom's birthday last week, so we made plans to spend yesterday together. That was before I ever heard about this earthquake thing. We went to town, did some errands, brought a pizza, rootbeer, and ice cream home and had that for supper with my pop. Then we just hung out and visited until about midnight. We both agreed that, except for my sister not being with us (she lives in FL with husband & kids), if we knew it was to be our last day we would have wanted it to be just like it was.

Not expecting anything out of the ordinary to happen, I came home and we all slept soundly after having a good day together.

It doesn't get much better than that.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:33, Salguod Nairb wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:26, atouchofmagic1 wrote:
...Please don't get me wrong I'm a God fearing man...
[/quote]

Not to get off subject, but I never understood this phrase. Why would you fear God?
[/quote]

'Fear', when talking about God, is synonymous with 'respect', 'reverence', 'piety', 'awe toward a supreme power', etc.

[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:34, Dreadnought wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]

No, it doesn't. From a non-theological standpoint it would, but from a theological standpoint it fits perfectly.
[/quote]

Dreadnought & Chessman,

If you guys want to discuss things with Christian-church ordained minister (since Feb. 2000) we'll have to do that somewhere else. To END this comment line - which I'm sorry that I started - I'll just LEAVE IT that the doctrine I follow, along with a number of Christian churches, is that the trilogy theory is incorrect. The three entities are separate.

That's my belief. If it is not yours, I'll leave it to you.

I apologize for the disruption.
Beano, you brought it up. All Dreadnaught and I did was to say we disagreed with what you stated. We didn't challenge you, or try to persuade you to go farther into the subject.
The password is: Trinity.

A trilogy is, like, Lord of the Rings.

Not being a Christian, I don't have a dog in the Trinity Fight, but being an aficionado of rational logic, I will counteract the Appeal to Authority and point out that there are lots of ordained Christian ministers who do ascribe to the Trinity. Some of them have been ordained even longer than 11.25 years.
Chessman,

You are correct. I took the offense. I'm sorry.

Beano
LobowolfXXX,

Dang, I gotta get a new spill cheecker. :)
Besides, it's not like you guys are even going to be here after 6:00, anyway.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (May 21, 2011 12:02PM)
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:40, atouchofmagic1 wrote:...
'Fear', when talking about God, is synonymous with 'respect', 'reverence', 'piety', 'awe toward a supreme power', etc.

[/quote]

Depends on which god. For some it might be the taste of veal and for others it might be calamari or perhaps the puzzlement over ink as both food and writing implement.

So, all set for the 6pm event?
It depends on where in Sacred Scripture you are referring. Because there is also a genuine fear. The Greek word for fear used in Matt. 28:4 and 1 Peter 2:17 is Phobos which means terror, dread, unadulterated fear. Fear that someone would experience when standing before a judge ready to pronounce sentence or standing before a king. Another Greek word for fear is Diemos which is usually translated to mean panic. In Greek mythology Phobos (Fear) and Diemos (Panic) were the hunting hounds of Aries, the god of war. It was believed that before battle, Aires would release his hunting hounds, Fear and Panic, to roam the battlefield.

In Phillipians 2:12 St. Paul tells us to work out our Salvation "In fear (phobos) and trembling (tromos)." Tromos is a word that means a fear that makes one quake with sheer terror.

There are multiple reasons to fear God. One of those is realizing that He is the Creator of everything and thus as being Creator, to Him alone is the responsibility to render judgment and to destroy.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:40, atouchofmagic1 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Then why not just say that? I did a synonym search on 'fear' and none of those choices were listed. Fear is a specific term linked to an emotion. I do know of people that fear God and believe when bad things happen that they are being punished by God for some sin or digression. I'm not asking for a philosophical discussion, it's just that I never understood why so many people use that phrase.
[quote]
If you guys want to discuss things with Christian-church ordained minister (since Feb. 2000) we'll have to do that somewhere else. To END this comment line - which I'm sorry that I started - I'll just LEAVE IT that the doctrine I follow, along with a number of Christian churches, is that the trilogy theory is incorrect. The three entities are separate.

That's my belief. If it is not yours, I'll leave it to you.

I apologize for the disruption.
[/quote]

Ordained February 2005.
All good, Beano.

Camping was censured by his church from teaching his Sunday School class in the late 80's. After that he came up with his teaching that God was through with the church. So, he has been teaching some pretty off-kilter stuff for years.
[quote]
Then why not just say that? I did a synonym search on 'fear' and none of those choices were listed. Fear is a specific term linked to an emotion. I do know of people that fear God and believe when bad things happen that they are being punished by God for some sin or digression. I'm not asking for a philosophical discussion, it's just that I never understood why so many people use that phrase.
[/quote]

You can't discuss this without philosophy.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 13:03, Salguod Nairb wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:40, atouchofmagic1 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nothing more then a phrase my friend. Its been around for a very long time and I did a search on it and the above definition is what I came up with. The short of the tale is I am a Christian (Not perfect by any means but show me a man or woman who is) But I do believe in God but not to the extent where I will put down or tell anybody else their beliefs are wrong and I'm right. Faith is nothing more then that, its just faith. But I don't have faith in this Schmuck Harold Camping making false claims that the rapture is coming today. So like I said I'm going to enjoy some beers, some smoke and do the same things I do every Saturday!!!

End of story but certainly not the End of the world ;)

[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:36, Chessmann wrote:
[/quote]

Zero. My guess is zero.
"Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Matt 10:28
I have to admit though, if there had been an earthquake in New Zealand at 6:00pm their time ( 2:00am. this morning for me ), I probably would have pooped my pants. o)
The version of The End of the World I knew was this Herman's Hermits one with the adorable Peter Noone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U7_r2C6Q5A

I thought they had written it. Does the Skeeter Davis version precede it?
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 13:18, critter wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:36, Chessmann wrote:
[/quote]

Zero. My guess is zero.
[/quote]

:) I don't know - it seems ok so far.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 12:03, Ken Northridge wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 11:16, Gospel Dan wrote:
If it gets even unbelievers talking about God, I think it's good.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You're right that it doesn't reflect well on Christians, but I believe that most people will understand that this person does not represent the Christian church. However, that depends on us Christians to talk with people and educate them. I find it a great piece to open dialogue with someone who would normally not want to talk about religion or God. Most people are already talking about it anyways. It's interresting to hear what non-believers think about this, and to hear what their thoughts are on God and religion in North America.

However, with that said, I have to go find my wife. She seems to have disapeared on me. :)
It always seems that the clowns are the one who decide to evangelize more vocally.
Or perhaps, clowns make better news copy!
This is true!
Familyradio.com seems to be down and off-line. Lots of people wondering what happened to site. I have tried to log on for the last couple of hours and can't do it. I heard rumors that Camping told the power company to cut the power today...hmmm
I sure hope somebody is checking to make sure they don't do the "Krazy Kult Kool-Aid" thing.
UPDATE...UPDATE
Evans and his colleagues with the California-based network seem to be clinging to shreds of hope that their Judgment Day prophecy will materialize, even though their proclaimed 6 p.m. local time deadline has come and gone for New Zealand, Australia and other nations in that region of the globe — with no earthquakes, no raptures reported.

“We’re waiting patiently for the day to be completed and see what happens,” he said from his home in California.

But Evans added that once we reach midnight local time in the holy city of Jerusalem — about four hours away as I type this, unless like Family Radio I’ve miscalculated — he will be ready to concede that today’s rapture is a bust.

“If it’s not going to happen then, it’s obviously not going to happen today,” Evans said, “and we were wrong.”

Evans clarified that his “hope in the word of God has not changed at all.” He did remain with Family Radio in the wake of company president Harold Camping‘s failed 1994 rapture prediction. But Evans wasn’t prepared to elaborate on whether he would continue to work for Camping after a second failed prophecy. He did say that Family Radio’s board will have to sit down for a serious meeting with Camping if today passes without rapture.

“If nothing happens at 6 p.m. or before the end of this day, then we’ll certainly have to sit down and discuss where to go from here,” Evans said. “But, again, I don’t want to speak prematurely.”
Is it too early to PARTY?

Party away--I have both brandy and absinthe on hand.
:drinkup:
One of the oddest things about this is simply that America seems to be almost, if not THE only country in on the whole thing. My wife just got off the phone with her family in Poland. When she mentioned the whole "Oh you know, Waiting for the end of the world to start" thing, Her family had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. Same goes for a few friends of mine from Russia. Their family's back home never heard of it. In fact they seemed to get a kick out of the whole thing after they were told the story. I also have neighbors who hail from England. I talked to them yesterday and the thing happened to come up.. Again, no dice when it comes to relatives or friends still in England knowing anything about "The Rapture" occurring today.

Seems to me that if it were true, Others in other country's would have figured it out as well... It is a big world after all.

So I don't know whether to feel special that we are they only ones who know about it before hand... Or embarrassed that the rest of the world is again laughing at us because of some nut from California... Been a lot of that going around this month.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 16:40, Tfet wrote:
One of the oddest things about this is simply that America seems to be almost, if not THE only country in on the whole thing.
[/quote]

Family Radio is a USA organization (though I suppose people can listen online in other countries), and it appears he never 'caught on' to any significant degree outside the USA. I did a brief search in "Harold Camping" this morning and saw some Australian-based articles.

I remember being in Russia in the late '90s, at a bus stop with a friend and an interpreter. I see some lady across the street holding one of those super-size plastic drink mugs. This one has writing on it, and something about it looks really, REALLY familiar. The lady crosses the street, and asks me, "So, whats the latest news from Herbalife in the USA?" I turned to my interpreter and said, "Does her mug say, 'Lose weight now, ask me how!' "? My interpreter's eyes go big and she says, "YES!! How did you know???"

For some reason, I thought it was hilarious that Herbalife was in Russia.
LOL!! That is a good story. Yes it seems that just about everything from America infects other countries.

For example, My wife gets quite a few magazines from from Poland shipped to her from her mother. It is amazing how people in other countries (At least Poland from my experience, but I'm sure other countries as well) cling to the world of the American rich and famous. Their mags are filled with Brad Pitt and Jane Seymore and Johnny Depp and on and on. These are like... Entertainment mags I guess. But it seems that Polish stars actually get second billing to big names from America.

My wife says that just about everything that we have here, In the way of restaurants (McDonalds, Burger king, Red lobster, Olive garden) and shopping (Gap, Old navy) they also have in Poland... Just a lot more expensive.

I guess the whole rapture thing just never caught on over there....
RAPTURE? Maybe not...

But Rap? That is on the airwaves everywhere! ;)
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 16:40, Tfet wrote:

One of the oddest things about this is simply that America seems to be almost, if not THE only country in on the whole thing.
[/quote]
To be fair, there was a relatively big end of days cult in the news in Russia a few years back in 2007. But IMHO the US of A does seem to have more than its fair share of these cults in recent years.

Blast from the past that was 1984, when talk of The Rapture made it into the presidential debates:

[url]http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,954482-2,00.html[/url]

(You sure don't see that sort of thing happening in elections in many (if any) other major developed countries.)

This next article (and I preface it by noting that it may be biased and it may be nonsense, but it is after all just an article and people can make up their own minds) from my local and largely conservatively slanted (seriously) paper talks about why these cults may be flourishing in the States:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/opinion/apocalypse-soon-tomorrow-actually/article2028818/

[EXCERPT BELOW]

Why apocalyptic prophecy flourishes in the United States and why such prophecies receive avid public attention are intriguing questions – for which there are no easy answers. In his book Dreams of Millennium, University of Toronto philosophy professor Mark Kingwell argued that speculation about the end of time is a response to symptoms of social disintegration, evidenced by apparently unrelated phenomena, such as the fear of AIDS and the fashion for body-piercing.

Social and political upheaval has had a similar effect. During the English Civil Wars of the 17th century, many militant Protestants became convinced that the Day of Judgment was at hand, which emboldened their resistance to what they deemed the bogus authority of monarchs, aristocrats and bishops.

Apocalyptic notions, generally, have had a radical political edge. But the modern United States represents a deviation from this tendency. There, apocalyptic theory is linked to a conservative agenda. Before he became president in 1981, Ronald Reagan read and admired Hal Lindsey’s bestseller The Late, Great Planet Earth, which predicted, without giving precise dates, that we were nearing the end times ...

All this provides clues for answering our question: Why are Mr. Camping and his devotees taken seriously? A possible answer is: Because they occupy much of the same ideological and cultural turf as the mainstream conservatives for whom Mr. Reagan remains a secular saint.
The best part of that Article was...

__________________________________________________________________________________

In his book Dreams of Millennium, University of Toronto philosophy professor Mark Kingwell argued that speculation about the end of time is a response to symptoms of social disintegration, evidenced by apparently unrelated phenomena, such as the fear of AIDS and the fashion for body-piercing.

___________________________________________________________________________________

*** you body piercing blasphemers! You'll bring on the end of the world! :hysteric:
CAMPING GONE INTO HIDING...this from the local paper there. A must read!
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/articles/149707/20110521/failed-doomsday-prophet-harold-camping-hiding-silent.htm
I wonder if he's going to vanish to prove that he was raptured and, therefore, the only one worthy.
No one knows where Camping is currently. Both his house in Alameda, CA (according to Reuters) and compound in Oakland, CA (according to IBTimes reporters) are abandoned around the premise and not responding to inquiries.
DANG IT! I missed it!

I made a cup of tea around 5:00, fell asleep, and just now woke up to a full, cold, cup of tea.

There's my dang old rapture - I hate cold tea!

Wait... maybe I didn't miss it. Maybe I'm of them unholy s.o.b.s who are left here to endure the fire, brimstone, and have to drink cold tea forever.

I can't handle that. Maybe I'll just go back to sleep.
Who has any guess as to the earliest we will here from Mr. Camping?
The day ain't over! There's still a chance! Web chant:
"Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!.." Come on, everybody, "Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!"
I have a spider bite on my writst. Could be necrotic. Let's make this **** happen!
"Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!"
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 17:33, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
The best part of that Article was...

__________________________________________________________________________________

In his book Dreams of Millennium, University of Toronto philosophy professor Mark Kingwell argued that speculation about the end of time is a response to symptoms of social disintegration, evidenced by apparently unrelated phenomena, such as the fear of AIDS and the fashion for body-piercing.

___________________________________________________________________________________

*** you body piercing blasphemers! You'll bring on the end of the world! :hysteric:
[/quote]
Yeah, the article is probably taking great liberties when it comes to summarizing that fellow's book. Might be worth a read sometime, or at least a good browsing if I ever see it in a bookshop.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 18:32, PaulPacific wrote:
Who has any guess as to the earliest we will here from Mr. Camping?
[/quote]

I think he will be in hiding for a long time, according to the press tens of thousands of his followers sold everything and gave their money to the campaign. He probably is fearing for his life.

For instance, Jang-Lim Lee, leader of a Korean cult called “Hyoo Go” (Rapture), had predicted that in October 28, 1992, his followers will Rapture at the appointed time. Thousands of people believed in his prediction and gathered in a stadium, preparing themselves for the Rapture. They firmly believed that Jesus was coming on that date and they will be joining with him in the air. However when the event did not occur in accordance with the prediction, chaos broke out and some followers, filled with great anguish and disappointments, even tried to attack Lee with knives and kill him.
I go in with you Critter.

Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!

Maybe we could paraphrase the The Holy Modal Rounders song (B**bs A Lot)...

"Do you like zoms a lot?
Yes, I like zoms a lot.
Zoms a lot, zoms a lot.
You gotta like zoms a lot.
Really like zoms a lot.
Zoms a lot, zoms a lot.

They're big and round,
They're all around.
They're big and round,
They're all around."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd0WOD9yw0E
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 17:12, Tfet wrote:
LOL!! That is a good story. Yes it seems that just about everything from America infects other countries.

For example, My wife gets quite a few magazines from from Poland shipped to her from her mother. It is amazing how people in other countries (At least Poland from my experience, but I'm sure other countries as well) cling to the world of the American rich and famous. Their mags are filled with Brad Pitt and Jane Seymore and Johnny Depp and on and on. These are like... Entertainment mags I guess. But it seems that Polish stars actually get second billing to big names from America.

My wife says that just about everything that we have here, In the way of restaurants (McDonalds, Burger king, Red lobster, Olive garden) and shopping (Gap, Old navy) they also have in Poland... Just a lot more expensive.

I guess the whole rapture thing just never caught on over there....
[/quote]

I got to drive across Poland (from Ukraine) once, and got to spend a couple of days in Warsaw. Beautiful city!
Maybe Camping just forgot the third word....

Camping: Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Clatto... Verata... N-
[coughs]
Camping: [pause] Okay... that's it!

Later that day...

Followers: Did you speak the exact words?
Camping: Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 19:12, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Maybe Camping just forgot the third word....

Camping: Clatto Verata N... Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word! Clatto... Verata... N-
[coughs]
Camping: [pause] Okay... that's it!

Later that day...

Followers: Did you speak the exact words?
Camping: Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah.
[/quote]

:applause:
Klaatu Barada Nikto!!!
The Camping Trip has been called off.
Is it just me, or is the family radio site now down?
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 18:14, Devin Knight wrote:
CAMPING GONE INTO HIDING...this from the local paper there. A must read!
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/articles/149707/20110521/failed-doomsday-prophet-harold-camping-hiding-silent.htm
[/quote]

Jeesh... You see here in this article where it says "The popular broadcaster, who has been widely heard across the world,"?

That's B.S.

I've spoken to quite a few people from different parts of the world including Columbia, Mexico, Italy and so on, And none of them had relatives or friends back home who ever heard of this guy OR his "Prediction".

That's the media for ya'. ;)
CBS News has a sense of humor...

"If you're reading this, the world didn't end, and Harold Camping, famed Armageddon predictor, was wrong, again"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/21/eveningnews/main20065059.shtml
I'm not sure that "widely" is the same thing as "universally," but yeah, I can't recall hearing of him before this thread.
At any rate, that's the spirit Beano! Come on people, let's get those hordes in gear:
"Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!"
Critter,

Maybe we use this one and replace "Ike" with "Zombies".

"I like zombies
You like zombies
Everybody likes zombies"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va5Btg4kkUE
This was filmed not far from where I lived. Scared the snot out of me at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gUKvmOEGCU
You know, if the Zombies do come, it's Obama's fault. George tried to help us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoXgRtDysLY
Then there are the N-word Zombies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0MrxahZ0cA&feature=related
It seems all the networks are now proclaiming the end of the world has been adverted AGAIN. Harold Camping is now the butt of many jokes and the laughing stock of the USA. How embarrassing.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/21/doomsday/index.html
OK gang, until next year, when we can do this all over again, Dec 21, 2012 the end of the world according to the Mayan Calendar. At least this time it has nothing to do with Christianity. Camping should have know according to the Mayan Calendar that the world would still be here in 2012.
Camping was never NOT the butt of jokes....
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 20:42, Devin Knight wrote:
OK gang, until next year, when we can do this all over again, Dec 21, 2012 the end of the world according to the Mayan Calendar. At least this time it has nothing to do with Christianity. Camping should have know according to the Mayan Calendar that the world would still be here in 2012.
[/quote]

See this really really bothers me. I have to say that I spend at least 1/2 the year in Mayan town. Right on the peninsula. I KNOW many Mayans, some of whom don't even speak English OR Spanish. NOT ONE of them thinks the world is going to end. They simply think it is the start of a new cycle.

As a matter of fact, they think of it as a 'rebirth' as opposed to the end of anything.

For one so bent on teaching his friends and family the RIGHT way, I would have hoped you would do a bit more research.
I am well aware that the Mayan Elders don't believe it is the end of the world and it won't be, but many people will think it is, so it will start all over again.
Based on Devin's other posts, and his general attitude, I think he is joking. And that's o.k.

But this is one of few times I agree with Danny :) and it really p!zzes me off too - not the agreeing with Danny part, but about the ignorance and refusal of people to let go of something they have been shown to be absolutely false.

I know a number of educated and otherwise intelligent people who actually believe that the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world, whether they believe the prediction or not. And some have gotten so mad at me for showing them articles and interviews with Mayan decendants, that they no longer speak to me. hehehe imagine that, me making someone that mad. ;)

But again, I believe Devin is joking.
Same time posting. :)

Thanks for showing I was right. It doesn't happen too often.
Whether or not the present-day Mayans believe it would not seem to be crucial to the argument.
If you want to stop one of those loud mouths in his tracks, ask him if he's using the Julian or Gregorian calendar or accounting for that missing 1000 years when he's putting the Mayan date onto our calendar.

The look on his face can be quite funny.
Had a Jehovah's Witness gentleman ring my doorbell this morning. Asked whether I had heard that the world had not ended as some had predicted today, and whether I knew why. I said yes and bid him on his way.

I must say that I was impressed that at least some were already using this as a teaching and / or recruiting moment.
The whole 144,000 government rule thingie confuses me. I always thought that if only 144,000 got in, the LAST thing I would be doing is going door to door telling people about it.

BUT we had a Watch Tower represenative show up at our door once. Had some great brochures on how to survive the end of the world and Armageden. Thing is we have some boxers. (Dogs not fighters.) Nicest dogs in the world, but stay out of the yard until invited type of dogs. Also they have one heck of a bark I must say.

So this guy comes into the yard and starts to walk to the door and the dogs start barking. From behind the glass and door mind you. This guy goes running out of the yard like a chicken with the Colonel on his tail. Dropping his pamphlets. I picked them up and walked inside and simply read them. All sorts of great information on how to survive judgement day and so forth! It occured to me how amusing it was that this guy was going to tell me how to stand down the 4 horsemen, but ran like a scared little girl when 2 boxers barked! It made me laugh the rest of Saturday.

Also I knew a kid when I grew up whose father was a Jehovah's witness and his mother was an agnostic. On Saturday they went arround the neighborhood ringing door bells for no aparant reason.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 22:21, Dannydoyle wrote:
It occured to me how amusing it was that this guy was going to tell me how to stand down the 4 horsemen, but ran like a scared little girl...[/quote]

Maybe you didn't catch this earlier: http://youtu.be/66dBpSWyZdw

;)

Laurie
[quote]
The whole 144,000 government rule thingie confuses me. I always thought that if only 144,000 got in, the LAST thing I would be doing is going door to door telling people about it.
[/quote]

Danny, they are trying to earn their way to being one of the 144,000 by going door to door.
Uh oh...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/FaultMaps/122-38.html
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 21:13, Beano wrote:
Based on Devin's other posts, and his general attitude, I think he is joking. And that's o.k.

But this is one of few times I agree with Danny :) and it really p!zzes me off too - not the agreeing with Danny part, but about the ignorance and refusal of people to let go of something they have been shown to be absolutely false.

I know a number of educated and otherwise intelligent people who actually believe that the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world, whether they believe the prediction or not. And some have gotten so mad at me for showing them articles and interviews with Mayan decendants, that they no longer speak to me. hehehe imagine that, me making someone that mad. ;)

But again, I believe Devin is joking.
[/quote]

I was joking.
[quote]
On 2011-05-21 22:43, Beano wrote:
Uh oh...

[/quote]
Don't worry- that's a 3.0 or so. In California, they're an everyday occurrence. It's like being at the top of a building in a strong breeze. (2.0 is equivalent to a truck driving by.)

If it was a Rapture-magnitude earthquake, it'd be twice as big as the square with a "7" inside it, minimum. Besides- I'm near that area; I would have felt it.
[quote]
It occured to me how amusing it was that this guy was going to tell me how to stand down the 4 horsemen, but ran like a scared little girl when 2 boxers barked! It made me laugh the rest of Saturday.
[/quote]

When executing a search warrant I always went armed with Slim Jims. Dogs love Slim Jims.
[quote]
The whole 144,000 government rule thingie confuses me. I always thought that if only 144,000 got in, the LAST thing I would be doing is going door to door telling people about it.[/quote]

I have two very good friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses. The deal is that, after they die, members of the 144,000 will be immediately resurrected to serve beside God. The remaining members of the church will be unconscious until they're resurrected during the second coming.

Curt
[quote]
Uh oh...

[/quote]

Not an uh oh at all. These types of things as Esn mentioned happen all the time everyday. Not only in the area depicted but elsewhere. It's not a rare event at all a daily one yes. It may not happen in that area show everyday but darn close. the small quakes have gone on since probably the start of time and will continue to do so.
Bad--bad Harold! No bisquit!!
:jesterhat:
Earth... 4.6 billion years old and counting.

Ron
Well, I'm up and about and not a zombie in sight. Sad.
[quote]
Uh oh...

[/quote]
I think Archie Bunker had it right -- it's all St. Andrew's fault.
Tuter said Family Radio's AM station in Sacramento had been "severely vandalized" Friday night or Saturday morning, with air conditioning units yanked out and $25,000 worth of copper stripped from the equipment. He thinks it must have been an angry listener. He was off Saturday but planned to drive past the headquarters "and make sure nothing's burning."

Camping himself, who has given innumerable interviews in recent months, was staying out of sight Saturday. No one answered the door at his Alameda home, though neighbors said he was there.
Excerpts:

On Saturday morning, Sue Espinoza received a phone call from her father, Harold Camping, the 89-year-old Oakland preacher who has spent some $100 million — and countless hours on his radio and TV show — announcing May 21 as Judgment Day. "He just said, 'I'm a little bewildered that it didn't happen...'"

By late afternoon, a small crowd had gathered in front of Camping's Oakland headquarters. There were atheists blowing up balloons in human form, which were released into the sky just after 6 p.m. in a mockery of the rapture. Someone played a CD of "The End" by the Doors, amid much laughter.

"Harold Camping will never hand out poisoned Kool-Aid," James Bynum, a 45-year-old deacon at Calvary Baptist Church in Milpitas, said. "It's not that kind of a cult. But he has set up a system that will destroy some people's lives."

From Los Angeles Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-rapture-20110522,0,5118540.story
At least no one is shooting at his house. If he was only wrong then he will have to answer to his followers. However, if he embezzled funds then he will have to answer to the State. Either way it is not what you wouldn’t want to be remembered for so late in life.
I truly feel bad for his followers. Like Devin, I had family members that were duped by false religious leaders. My grandmother was taken for $3,000 by that very famous one on daily TV who also has done doomsday predictions, and continues with predictions every year. She didn't fall for one of his doomsday ones though.

So, while joking about it seems to be part of my human nature, my heart goes out to many this weekend, especially the elderly ones who became his victims.
Well, just one more:

[img]http://www.joshlovesjen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/230116_10150185126411725_502606724_6985125_1155282_n.jpg[/img]
This guy was ready...he had a Zombie proof attack home.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/18/zombie-proof-house-survive-undead-apocalypse/?intcmp=sem_outloud&intcmp=obnetwork

According to Fox News, this is the car you need to survive a Zombie Attack.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/05/18/best-car-survive-zombie-apocalypse/?intcmp=obnetwork
Since technically the world doesn't end until October, the lack of Rapture could be spun so that it's interpreted as God wanting the faithful to be here for the heathen and provide us with spiritual guidance for the next five months, with any natural disaster or calamitous event being one more step towards inevitable doom... and when THAT doesn't happen, it's a sign that the faithful were successful in spreading God's word during the countdown.
[quote]

[/quote]
And [i]that[/i] Danny my friend is why you'll never be one of those 144,000. :)
What if.... he didn't get the date wrong and there was rapture but no one was chosen. Perhaps we are all dam'ned?

[img]http://www.geo.utexas.edu/chemhydro/images/fire.gif[/img]
[quote]
On 2011-05-22 16:50, Salguod Nairb wrote:
What if.... he didn't get the date wrong and there was rapture but no one was chosen. Perhaps we are all dam'ned?

[img]http://www.geo.utexas.edu/chemhydro/images/fire.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Then explain why there are no zombies.
I guess they show up in October.
[quote]
On 2011-05-22 15:33, Devin Knight wrote:
This guy was ready...he had a Zombie proof attack home.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/18/zombie-proof-house-survive-undead-apocalypse/?intcmp=sem_outloud&intcmp=obnetwork

According to Fox News, this is the car you need to survive a Zombie Attack.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/05/18/best-car-survive-zombie-apocalypse/?intcmp=obnetwork
[/quote]
That's an awful zombie-proof car. Way too many handholds!
I pity those who sold all their belongings.

Sad really.
Harold is OUT of hiding...and will explain sometime today why it didn't happen. He may offer a revised date for the rapture.
http://hken.ibtimes.com/articles/149971/20110523/exclusive-harold-camping-to-speak-monday-on-failed-prediction.htm

Harold Camping's reaction was one of bewilderment and mystification after his failed May 21 Doomsday prediction, an associate revealed in a new report.

Camping is "a little bewildered" and "mystified", Tom Evans, a board member of Camping's Family Radio International said on Sunday, according to ABC News.
New billboards are going up that read, "Well, that was awkward. '...for no man knoweth the hour...' "
Pretty sure the same bunch are not responsible for these
From one of Harold's followers:
"It's not [Camping's] fault," said Ramsey, who added he also won't ask for his money back. "Nobody held a gun to my head. I read the Bible. The math added up."

I gotta agree. You can blame Camping but people have to take responsibility for their own choices. Maybe they won't be so gullible next time. Some lessons are more costly than others.
I was most bemused by a confused follower of Harolds who had "taken the week off work" to travel to Harold's church for the end of all things.

Taken the week off work ?
[quote]
On 2011-05-23 10:10, rockwall wrote:
"It's not [Camping's] fault," said Ramsey, who added he also won't ask for his money back. "Nobody held a gun to my head. I read the Bible. The math added up."
[/quote]

I guess they forgot to carry the 1.

[img]http://mathinscience.info/public/start_engines/math.gif[/img]
[quote]
On 2011-05-23 09:43, JRob wrote:
New billboards are going up that read, "Well, that was awkward. '...for no man knoweth the hour...' "
Pretty sure the same bunch are not responsible for these
[/quote]

I saw pics of those. I thought it was photoshop.
[quote]
On 2011-05-23 10:37, Salguod Nairb wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-23 10:10, rockwall wrote:
[/quote]

I guess they forgot to carry the 1.
[/quote]

There's a webcomic called "Super Stupor"

http://www.superstupor.com/index.html

I won't make you go through the whole thing for the punch line which has a hero mocking a villain's foolish plan;
"When you were adding the numbers up, did you remember the carry the stupid?"
[quote]
On 2011-05-23 03:10, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I pity those who sold all their belongings.

Sad really.
[/quote]
I don't get it. If the end of the world was coming [i]what did they think they were going to do with the money?[/i] :crazydude:
I thought they sold their stuff to donate to the billboards and such that were getting the word out at the last minute. Not sure, though...it was the only thing that made sense to me.
They can't be happy to see the bills rolling in...
Time to start building oversized cribs.

Did you see what I did there?
I saw something on the yahoo news on the phone. How to cope with the world not ending! My lord.
Family Radio has been updated, with all the stuff about the Rapture removed and NO explanations. Just a basic Bible site now.
Ahhhhh poor Harold. Don't be so hard yourself, Mr. Camping.. I mean, really... it`s not the end of the world!!
It's still up with the countdown clock frozen at zero.

http://www.familyradio.com/index2.html
If you just go to familyradio.com you don't see it.
[quote]
On 2011-05-23 14:52, Devin Knight wrote:
If you just go to familyradio.com you don't see it.
[/quote]

At the bottom of the homepage you see

[quote]Graphical Homepage updated on: 05/22/2011 18:39:22[/quote]

Guess they just have to move forward like the rest of us.

John
OAKLAND, CA -- Harold Camping, the radio evangelist who predicted the Rapture would take place on May 21, 2011, was reportedly raptured on Saturday at 6:00 p.m. just as he foretold.

"Yeah, I mean I haven't seen him since Saturday around six, so I'm just assuming he got raptured," said David Howard, one of Mr. Camping's most trusted followers. "I think it's pretty lame I wasn't raptured, though. I gave Mr. Camping pretty much all the money I had."

Pundits, members of the media and theologians have been openly ridiculing Mr. Camping and his apparent miscalculation when nothing seemed to happen over the weekend. Camping's group argues that something did happen: the entire world, except for Camping, has been left behind.

"Unfortunately, our souls weren't as pure as his," said Mr. Howard. "We're going to have to suffer the horrors of End Times without our leader."

Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, held a press conference this morning to put the matter to rest.

"Yes, I raptured him," said the Son of God. "But not because it was Judgment Day. I just couldn't bear hearing him go on and on about it anymore. So you're all good... for now."

"Oh, and 2012 is not the end of the world either," added Christ.

No date for Judgment Day has been confirmed.
He's still here.

[quote]Camping, 89, a co-founder and host for the Family Radio network, said at his Alameda home he was "flabbergasted" when his prediction for the rapture to arrive at 6 p.m. Saturday failed to materialize, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Monday.[/quote]

[quote]It has been a really tough weekend," Camping said Sunday.

The preacher had predicted the faithful would be called to heaven at 6 p.m. Saturday and those left behind would have to navigate a world of massive earthquakes until the Oct. 21 end of the world.

"I'm looking for answers," Camping said. "But now I have nothing else to say."

"I'll be back to work Monday and will say more then," he said. (c) UPI[/quote]
[quote]
On 2011-05-23 18:33, Devin Knight wrote:
OAKLAND, CA -- Harold Camping, the radio evangelist who predicted the Rapture would take place on May 21, 2011, was reportedly raptured on Saturday at 6:00 p.m. just as he foretold.

"Yeah, I mean I haven't seen him since Saturday around six, so I'm just assuming he got raptured," said David Howard, one of Mr. Camping's most trusted followers. "I think it's pretty lame I wasn't raptured, though. I gave Mr. Camping pretty much all the money I had."

Pundits, members of the media and theologians have been openly ridiculing Mr. Camping and his apparent miscalculation when nothing seemed to happen over the weekend. Camping's group argues that something did happen: the entire world, except for Camping, has been left behind.

"Unfortunately, our souls weren't as pure as his," said Mr. Howard. "We're going to have to suffer the horrors of End Times without our leader."

Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, held a press conference this morning to put the matter to rest.

"Yes, I raptured him," said the Son of God. "But not because it was Judgment Day. I just couldn't bear hearing him go on and on about it anymore. So you're all good... for now."

[/quote]

There is so much bad Theology in these statements that is hard to know where to begin.
[quote]
On 2011-05-23 20:50, Dreadnought wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-23 18:33, Devin Knight wrote:

[/quote]

There is so much bad Theology in these statements that is hard to know where to begin.
[/quote]
Unless Jesus Christ actually held a press conference as reported in that article, I think it is not meant to be taken too seriously.
I'm waiting for confirmation from Buddha.
I'm a little disappointed that all those annoying people are still here.
Well with all that claim to be going to heaven, does it ever occur to anyone that heaven is an annoying place?
Heaven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNdMc6wGtU

Everyone is trying to get to the bar.
The name of the bar, the bar is called heaven.
The band in heaven plays my favorite song.
They play it once again, they play it all night long.

Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.

There is a party, everyone is there.
Everyone will leave at exactly the same time.
Its hard to imagine that nothing at all
Could be so exciting, and so much fun.

When this kiss is over it will start again.
It will not be any different, it will be exactly
The same.
Its hard to imagine that nothing at all
Could be so exciting, could be so much fun.

Oh, they shouldn't have been guided by Harold Camping.... They should have been following the carefully wrought-out biblical teachings of "Talking Heads"! Of COURSE!

Doh!
Camping now says he was just 5 months off and the real event will take place in October. Some of his followers suggest that this was God's way of sorting out the true believers from the non believers.
An unapologetic Harold Camping made a new prediction Monday: the rapture is actually on Oct. 21, not May 21 as he originally proclaimed.

Camping offered no sincere apology when he spoke publicly Monday for the first time since his failed May 21 Judgment Day prediction. He insisted that his predictions have been right all along, only that his interpretation was more literal when it should have been spiritual.

Judgment Day on May 21 did come, said Camping. However, he clarified that the Judgment Day arrived in a spiritual sense rather than manifesting physically.

"On May 21, this last weekend, this is where the spiritual aspect of it really comes through. God again brought judgment on the world. We didn’t see any difference but God brought Judgment Day to bear upon the whole world. The whole world is under Judgment Day and it will continue right up until Oct. 21, 2011 and by that time the whole world will be destroyed," he proclaimed.

The president of Family Radio said he agreed to speak because many people have been asking and that he had to "honorably" face that.

Camping also took no responsibility for those who gave up everything based on his predictions.

"We at Family Radio never tell anyone what [to] do with their possessions. That's totally between them and God," he said.

But before Oct. 21, Camping said he will not sell any of his possessions, pointing out that he still needed a place to live and bills to pay until five months from now.

"Whenever Christ comes, whatever I have left, I will just leave it behind," he said. "Until then, I still need to live."

He said Family Radio has no intention of returning the money to donors.

"No, that money is still going out. We're still in business. We still have another five months," said Camping.

"Why would we return it? It's been given to get the Gospel out. We're spending it as wisely as possible."

He stressed that he has not received any salary and that they’re not trying to garner anything for themselves. There is no greed at Family Radio, he stated.

“We're spending it as wisely as possible and maybe by Oct. 21 we'll only have $10 left.”

“It wont be spiritual on October 21st,” Camping said, adding, “the world is going to be destroyed all together, but it will be very quick.”

Camping had previously pointed to October 21 as the last day on earth for all humanity.

His former assertion was that a faithful three percent would be physically pulled into heaven by God through the Rapture on May 21, to be followed by a five month period of great suffering known as the Tribulation, ending, finally, on October 21. On Monday’s broadcast, Camping speculated that perhaps a merciful God decided to spare humanity five months of “hell on earth.”

http://www.christianpost.com/news/harold-camping-breaks-silence-predicts-october-21-rapture-50438/

Genius, pure genius! It doesn't get any better than this. I almost feel obligated to donate money to his cause now.
Great. We can talk about this for at least another 5 months! :rolleyes:

William Miller made a couple of these predictions long ago. After his first or second failed, he decided on a final October date as well, i.e. October 22, 1844.

Anyway, here is a nice extended article about Camping and his new prediction:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1390268/Rapture-Harold-Camping-explains-wrong--says-God-bring-Rapture-OCTOBER-21.html?ITO=1490
Camping said his group would not be mounting another advertising push. In the months leading up to May 21, Family Radio billboards popped up across the country, warning that the end was near.

"We're not going to be passing out tracts," Camping said. "We're not going to put up any more billboards. We're not going to be advertising in any way. The world has been warned. We did our little share and the media picked it up. But now the world has been told, it's under judgment."

Hmmm, no advertising, no tracts....I bet most people will forget the world will end on OCT 21 and never realize it didn't.
Again...PURE GENIUS.
You have to admit, Harold Camping is not your typical wacko religious freak. I listened to some of his broadcast last night and he still impresses me as a very nice man who has steadfastly studied the Bible all of his 89 years of life. It is true that he never told anyone to sell their possessions or do anything such as that, only to pray for God’s mercy—and what’s wrong with that? Do we not all need God’s mercy?

When the subject came up about the mother who tried to kill her children he was horrified and spoke with great passion about the sanctity of life. Would Jim Jones or David Koresh do that?

Don’t get me wrong, I believe his conclusions about this subject are erroneous and am still angered that he has squandered the potential of this company he created. It just confuses me how many of his other positions are deeply rooted in scripture.
Ken, Camping has a number of other wild teachings. Might want to pick up a book called "Dangerous Airwaves". It will tell you much about Camping and his teachings. I listened last night, as well. He impressed me as a very nice man - who feels like the bible is his own personal Play Dough.
Ok, I get it, I think...maybe not.

Saturday was Judgment Day, we have all been judged as to who will go to heaven Oct 21. I guess since we have been judged there is no appeal. I guess that means that no new people can be saved. That is why no billboards this go round. We were warned to be ready for judgment day. If we weren't too bad, we were warned.

God in his mercy decided to let the sinners not have to suffer during the last five months before he destroys the world since they will all face eternal death.

Come Oct 21, Jesus will rapture away all God judged this past Saturday to be worthy to go to heaven. The rest of us will be destroyed on Oct 21, but it will be quick, and after we are dead, we will live no more as Camping teaches there is no hell, that we just burn up and that is the end.

Ok makes, perfect sense to me.

BTW, Camping has left himself NO OUT for Oct 21.
I would say to Camping and those that follow him, listen to him, take their spiritual guidance from him:

"Many false prophets will arise and deceive many" Matthew 24:11

This man's Theology is [b]EXTREMELY[/b] bad and [b]EXTREMELY[/b] dangerous. He is extremely mis-guided and his understanding of Sacred Scripture is that of a mad man. When his end comes, whenever that may be I hope God has mercy on his soul.
"I don't have any responsibility. I don't have any responsibility of anybody's life. I'm only teaching the Bible. I'm simply saying, 'This is what the Bible says.'"

Apparently, the whole brother's keeper philosophy escapes him. This is pretty amazing for someone who has studied the Bible for 89 years.
I have to wonder how many of his followers are buying into this new revelation.
I would not be surprised if they all are. I really would not be surprised if he gains more followers.
[quote]

[/quote]

That doesn't mean he won't make one up. I mean, he didn't have an out for this last one, either.
[quote]
On 2011-05-24 12:14, Devin Knight wrote:
I have to wonder how many of his followers are buying into this new revelation.
[/quote]

Any reason to think they won't?
Question is how many times does this Bozo have to be wrong before the press ignores him?
[quote]
On 2011-05-24 12:23, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

That doesn't mean he won't make one up. I mean, he didn't have an out for this last one, either.
[/quote]

Yes he did, he said the rapture on May 21 and the world to be destroyed Oct 21. He hasn't changed the date of the world being destroyed. It was Oct 21 in both cases. The only thing he changed was that the Judgment was spiritual instead of physical. He has not double prediction this time, it is Oct 21 or nothing.
[quote]
On 2011-05-24 12:26, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Question is how many times does this Bozo have to be wrong before the press ignores him?
[/quote]

If first you don't succeed try, try again.

He was wrong two times before, they say the third time is a charm...so maybe this time he will get it right. Highly doubtful.
[quote]
Genius, pure genius! It doesn't get any better than this. I almost feel obligated to donate money to his cause now.
[/quote]

Devin, you are a VIP here, so you obviously are worthy of great respect.

But you're a very poor historian. This stuff has all happened before, and in the same way, many, many times. No genius involved.

In fact, let me quote myself from earlier in this thread:

[quote]The answer is: in one of the usual ways. One way is to admit a miscalculation, but he's probably in too deep for that. He'll probably choose the "new revelation" method, which will be to say that due to the worthiness and energy of him and his followers, the world will be spared yet again.[/quote]

Now, please note that the "miscalculation" was that of what is spiritual or literal rather than dates, but it still applies. My second point is also explicitly stated in the article you linked to.

There's a "been there done that" aspect to this that means your choice of the word "genius" is completely off. Sorry.
[quote]
On 2011-05-24 12:28, Devin Knight wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-05-24 12:23, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes he did
[/quote]

No, he really didn't.

[quote]
On 2011-05-17 09:45, Devin Knight wrote:
What will take place on May 21?

On May 21, 2011 two events will occur. These events could not be more opposite in nature, the one more wonderful than can be imagined; the other more horrific than can be imagined.

A great earthquake will occur the Bible describes it as "such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great." This earthquake will be so powerful it will throw open all graves. The remains of the all the believers who have ever lived will be instantly transformed into glorified spiritual bodies to be forever with God.

On the other hand the bodies of all unsaved people will be thrown out upon the ground to be shamed.

The inhabitants who survive this terrible earthquake will exist in a world of horror and chaos beyond description. Each day people will die until October 21, 2011 when God will completely destroy this earth and its surviving inhabitants.

[/quote]

Was there an earthquake such as has never been seen before? Were graves thrown open? Are we now living in a world of horror and chaos beyond description? ok, maybe that last one, but it's pretty much the same as last week. He said definitively that these things would happen. He refused to even address the "What if it doesn't happen?" question because it was inconceivable. But now that it didn't happen, it turns out there IS a "what if it doesn't happen?" answer. He didn't know what that answer was on the 20th, but on the 22nd he did.

This is no "out." We're supposed to be raptured, dead from an unprecedented earthquake, or living in the chaotic, horrific aftermath of that earthquake. There was absolutely no ambiguity about what he said would happen on the 21st, and it flat-out didn't happen.
The Bible makes it pretty clear not to trust false prophets and false teachers... one of the criteria of a genuine prophet of God is they have to get it right all of the time.

The shame of it all is that Mr. Camping's followers care more about what [b]he[/b] has to say about the Bible, then what [b]the Bible[/b] has to say about him.

- Donald
[url=http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/996080--man-who-spent-life-savings-on-doomsday-ads-has-no-regrets?bn=1]"Man who spent life savings on doomsday ads has no regrets"[/url]
Sorry, I haven't read the history of failed doomsday prophets. This is the first one I ever paid attention to, and that was because of all the media coverage. It appears you have two prophets. Camping and Fitzpatrick.

I was correct when I said it appeared from what Camping claims, that God will NOT save any more people. From the above article Firzpatrick is saying the same thing...no one can be saved from now on...if you were not saved prior to Saturday, you are doomed... What a crock of BS!

“May 21 was actually the last day of salvation,” Fitzpatrick told the Star Tuesday from his home. “God won’t be saving anyone, so there will be no more gospel program. Then, in five months, everything will happen on the same day – the earthquake, Rapture, resurrection and destruction of the world. That’s what it looks like now.”
The groundwork for the next bogus "out" has already been laid - "That's what it looks like now."

No doubt, it will look different on October 22, and the goalposts will be moved yet again.
[quote]
On 2011-05-24 13:41, Devin Knight wrote:

Sorry, I haven't read the history of failed doomsday prophets. This is the first one I ever paid attention to, and that was because of all the media coverage. It appears you have two prophets. Camping and Fitzpatrick.
[/quote]
I previously mentioned William Miller in this thread. You might read up on him just to see how influential even a 'failed' doomsday prophet can be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Miller_%28preacher%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Disappointment
Jehovah's Witnesses have repeatedly predicted the end of the world: 1874, 1914, 1925, 1975 and 2000. It's a hobby.
I'm busy in October, can I move mine back to mid-November when I already have a week off?
[quote]On 2011-05-24 14:08, Uli Weigel wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses have repeatedly predicted the end of the world: 1874, 1914, 1925, 1975 and 2000. It's a hobby.[/quote]
We used to have some Jehovah's Witnesses who came by the house regularly to proselytize. One day one of them was quoting to me some passage from the Bible and I disagreed with his wording. Regarding mine, he said that that's not how it appears in the original Greek. I asked him if he were sure and he said that he was. I got my Greek New Testament and asked him to show me where it was in the Greek. He, of course, was unable to read Greek and couldn't find even the book, much less the chapter and verse.

They haven't returned since; that was several years ago.
It is easier to mindlessly swallow what others tell you and regurgitate it as your own personnel thought, rather than have to think for yourself.

[img]http://www.daytonamagic.com/product_images/uploaded_images/howdydoody.gif[/img]
[url=http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/appendix3.html] FAILED END OF THE WORLD PROPHECIES[/url]
[quote]
On 2011-05-24 15:45, PaulPacific wrote:
[url=http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/appendix3.html] FAILED END OF THE WORLD PROPHECIES[/url]
[/quote]

"B.C.-A.D. According to the New Testament, The End should have occurred before the death of the last Apostle. In Matthew 16:28, it says:

Verily, I say unto you, there be some standing here which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

One by one, all the apostles died. And the world rolled on for everyone else. . . ."

Bad exegesis. The Amazing Randi is as wild and loose as Mr. Camping. Jesus is not referring to the verse directly above this, on a deeply Theological level this is not an eschatological statement. It also refers to Judas Iscariot.
[quote]
On 2011-05-24 12:45, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Was there an earthquake such as has never been seen before? Were graves thrown open? Are we now living in a world of horror and chaos beyond description? ok, maybe that last one, but it's pretty much the same as last week.

This is no "out." We're supposed to be raptured, dead from an unprecedented earthquake, or living in the chaotic, horrific aftermath of that earthquake. There was absolutely no ambiguity about what he said would happen on the 21st, and it flat-out didn't happen.
[/quote]
If he'd only called for tornadoes, he'd have a few more believers.
There's a bunch of crazy immoral b****rds in charge of nuclear and biological weapons. There's a giant ball of constantly exploding gas that has the potential to wipe out all life in the galaxy. There are asteroids. There are new diseases popping up all the **** time.
The fact is, we are always on the potential brink of destruction.
Any second could be the last for humans.
We don't need a special day to be ready for the end. We should always be ready. 'Cause you never know.
[quote]
On 2011-05-24 21:48, critter wrote:

We don't need a special day to be ready for the end. We should always be ready. 'Cause you never know.
[/quote]That's what Jesus said, too.
Exactly.
Hey! We got til the 21st of October now! What are we going to put on our playlists for that day?
[quote]
On 2011-05-26 21:55, ed rhodes wrote:
Hey! We got til the 21st of October now! What are we going to put on our playlists for that day?
[/quote]

I thought we could die any day? :)

Anyway, let's party like it's 1994!