(Close Window)
Topic: Pigeons?
Okay so I built an aviary... hunted for a while for white doves... boy are they hard to find, but ended up getting some... turns out they are probably white pigeons... they've grown :) I've had them for a couple months and they are fairly well trained now and it doesn't bother me because I won't be doing a dove (pigeon haha) act or b*dy loads and they seem to fit everywhere I need them too... even in a dove holder with their head sticking out, but I'm worried that there is a reason nobody uses pigeons, they work for me alright, still need a bit more training near windows but apart from that, is there any reason I shouldn't use them? Should pigeons be kept in an aviary? Cheers!
People (Magicians, that is) don't usually use pigeons because of their size, which is far larger than the average dove. Other than that, I see no reason why, but there could be others.
The harnesses for doves and pigeons are not exactly alike. The differences in the way the tails move can also become a problem.

Where are you? Doves can usually be found. Call local feed (not pet) stores and ask for leads and permission to post a "Wanted" notice. This is dove breeding season. Your luck should be good.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (May 18, 2011 11:37AM)
Post a pic my friend let's see what you got.
Fabio - Cheers, mine aren't too much bigger really, like I said they fit in a dove holder although I'm sure they are pigeons or another type of dove...

Bob - That's no big deal, I won't be using a harness but may use a holder sometime, and if I do I'll make a larger one. The Thing is I'm in New Zealand and well even the dove magicians here are low on numbers and have trouble finding more... there ain't many.

tropicalillusions - It's late here now but will try get one up in the next day or two, although I have just been to stay with a magician here who does a dove act and haven't seen his doves since I've had mine before... I was sure his were bigger but after seeing them recently I know mine are not the same.

Thanks guys, I have decided I will continue with them as they still do everything I need them to do and have gotten quite attatched to them now :) But if some white doves do pop up sometime, I will snatch them up too.
Tropical - they are pretty much like these here although these look just a little longer - http://202.162.73.3/Pets-animals/Birds/Birds/Doves/photos/a-361168882/p-163187226.htm
I know how you feel, hah. Finding white doves over here in Brazil is nearly impossible, let alone doves well cared.

You're doing right in keeping them. What matters the most is thay you both are happy with each other. Doves / pigeons get very attached to the humans who care for them and even if they do not make good stage animals they are most excellent pets.
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (May 19, 2011 10:13AM)
Mike, thanks for sending the link. georgous birds, they look like fantail pigeons.we wish you the best with your bird work, this could be good for you, the only one in your area working withthese type of birds.
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (May 19, 2011 07:23PM)
Beautiful birds! I have worked with fantail pigeons in my show before. They are really showy! I produced mine from a flash pan and kept mine in a very large cage. A small 6' X 6' X 8' aviary would be very nice, but as long as they have a really big cage and get to come out and fly a bit they should be ok.

Pigeons are extremely smart and love to please their keeper. Be sure you give them grit and pigeon mix grain and an occasional boiled egg. They will raise babies if you want, but you will have too many pigeons, VERY quickly. I remove my bird's eggs before they have a chance to incubate.

You can train pigeons to fly home, but don't try this with doves. Doves cannot EVER learn to fly home! Lots of people in the USA use white pigeons at weddings and funerals, releasing them at the ceremony. Since pigeons have homing instincts, they fly back to their home all by themselves. Pretty cool, eh? You might could use this homing instinct to your advantage. Best of luck!
Autumn is so right about homing instincts being very different in pigeons and doves. I often tell people that my doves have such poor navigation skills that they couldn't find the backyard from the back porch.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Thanks Guys (and Girls)! :) I have a really decent sized aviary... built my own and it's about 7ft long by 6ft high by 3ft wide, they fly around in it quite a bit. Good to see someone else has used them, 2 have paired up already and I expect there may be some eggs in the aviary one day soon haha!

One thing is I emailed one other magician today to see if he had some, while he does not he told me of another magician who will probably have some spare doves, I will give him a call tonight and if he has 2 spare I'll get them, one thing... can I keep doves and pigeons in the same aviary? I have 4 pigeons, 2 which aren't as friendly as I have been focusing on just 2 for a while so I would let 2 out to fly around the house if I had to but otherwise may have to extend the aviary somehow...
Yes, you can keep 'em together as long as there is either only one male regardless of the species and the aviary is big enough to accomodate them.

Pigeons and doves do get attached to their caretaker, so if you "play favorites" that might be a reason why the other two are not behaving as well. Make sure to give all of them enough attention and, if possible, go to another room with the 2 not-so-friendly ones until they get used to you, so the other pair won't feel jealous.