(Close Window)
Topic: Al Schneider book by L&L
I just got an email from L&L for preordering a huge Al Schneider book for $69.95, with mid June delivery.
http://www.llpub.com/new-book-from-ll-publishing-al-schneider-magic/

I wonder if it is the previous material combined in one single book or it is a new re-write also with new photos and so on.

Pablo
I've had actually had a chance to look through this book and I must say, it's certainly one of the magic publishing events of the year. Some material has never seen print while others, such as Matrix, have been completely re-written. What's more, the book is a representation of Al's philosophy regarding magic so there's also quite a bit of performance theory that is very worthwhile, even apart from the tricks (which are terrific!)

At the end of the day, this book is a summary of Al's thoughts and creations. If you're an Al Schneider fan, this is a must-have. If you're not familiar with Al's work, this is more than the perfect introduction.
This is one book I'm really looking forward to. A book filled with great thinking and magic. It's hard to imagine you can get a book with over 700 pages with 1500 plus photos for $80. $69 of you buy it now.
Thank you Jim, I will pre-order the book
I e-mailed Mr Schenider several months ago looking for a copy of his zombie routine and he mentioned he was working on something with L&L. I was thinking DVD and keep looking for one. But this is even better love a good magic book thanks for the heads ups have to get this one.

Best
Leo Jr
Just made my pre-order for the deluxe edition. Can't wait!
Yes, Mr. Schenider has a lot to say about the philosophy. Even if you don't want to read all the theory, the magic is next to creating miracles.

I once knew a magician who studied Al's material, such as his coins across, and it was the closest thing to performing real magic one could ever possibly do.

I have performed his Matrix for years and just love it, if you like to perform real type magic.

His Zombie move is just pure genius, covering a ball while suspended in mid air. All you close-up guys will jump for joy as this is a close-up routine. He use to do it at magic conventions at his dealer table. You can't get more close then that, now can you.

All his material will of course take a lot of practice. It is not a read it and do it type of magic.

Those that choose this material to learn will be way ahead of anybody in magic. This is the real deal, guys.
What level of sleight of hand do you need to perform his effects? thanks
The book "Al Schneider on Zombie" is what inspired Tommy Wonder to start working with the Zombie - an effect Tommy didn't care for until he read Al's book.

Al's student, Suzanne The Magician, just won The Castle's Close-up Magician of the year.

So you just know this book is going to be great!
To whom it may concern: If you really like Al Schneider and his magic, you should at least write his name correctly.
Sorry about that I do the same thing with numbers some times.Mr Schneider is great.Need change for a twenty?

Thanks
Leo Jr
Ordered the book today, cause I am a fan of Mr Schneider.
I just pre-ordered the book, looking forward to a good reading this summer
I have it pre-ordered too. Hurry up L&L!!! Man it is rare enough these days that LARGE magic books are even being published let alone the work of one of magic's greatest thinkers.

I also have a Korg KRONOS 73 on the way from Sweetwater Music. It's going to be a FUN summer with no sleep!! YAY!! (N.B. The main manual for Korg's new workstation weighs in at 1100 pages and Schneiders's book is 700+ pages. I may be vanishing for the next three months :P)

Ahimsa,
Vlad
The Al Schneider book is now in stock and shipping. I had a chance to look at the pre-press .PDF but now that the book is in my hands, it really is something.

This book really is a must-have!
I want mine NOW!!! ( I can wait a little ...)
Look forward to some reviews
Recently ordered my book. Hopefully I should have it any day now. Going to have fun practicing this stuff.
Brehaut asked back on May 21st what level of expertise do you need to perform a lot of Al Schneider's magic from this book. Now that is has shipped and is in a few people's hands, can anyone provide some feedback on it?

Thanks!
I don't have the book, but am familiar with Schneider's material, and familiar with most of the contents of the book (this is essentially a collection of Schneider's classic works). The work is attainable. It requires practice, but Schneider gives you drills to learn things. I wouldn't say anything is particularly difficult if you follow his instructions and practice the material.
My copy shipped today - can't wait.
[quote]
On 2011-06-23 00:49, BobMc wrote:
My copy shipped today - can't wait.
[/quote]

Mine as well. Someone mentioned earlier that this book could be the publishing event of the year [in magic]. I couldn't agree more!! L&L is usually VERY good with shipping so I am hoping by Saturday to be lost in this - just in time for the end of the torture known as summer session grad school ;)

Ahimsa,
Vlad
My copy shipped as well,
Not sure what answer I expect but...I have Al's 4 DVD set. Is there a lot of updated or new material here or mostly the pleasure of having it in print? Thanks
Did you read the Table of Contents in the book's description?

[url]http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=2778[/url]
Still waiting for mine. Hope to get it soon.
Got mine today and I'm overwhelmed with the sizeof book and amount of materialin it. GREAT BUY!!

Leo Jr
Just think Leo, you could have bought two DVDs with maybe 6 or 7 tricks for the same price. Enjoy!
Motown
Now I want his DVDs
Best
Leo Jr
There excellent, well worth the money.

Craig
I love his honesty in the book. Page 194 is a perfect example.

This is one of the best magic books on close-up sleight of hand magic I've ever read. This should be getting a lot more attention than it is. Back to practicing...
I opened this yesterday and it has been a while since I have encountered a book that shakes me out of my comfort zone. This book should be required reading for anyone desiring to learn magic. Mr. Schneider's essays alone are worth the price of this book. As I was glossing it, I felt the same sense of thought provoking exploration by the author with his reader as I have felt with the classics of magic - most recently Wesley James's Enchantments.

I predict that the Schneider book will stand as essential reading alongside works by Vernon, Marlo, Lorayne, Slydini, Ramsay, Ortiz, Hilliard, Hugard, Fitzkee, Wonder, etc.

2011 is shaping up to be a GREAT year for magic and I know the dollar is stretched farther than the elastic of your corpulent aunt's bloomers, but, you really owe it to yourself to forego the 5 trick DVDs and INVEST in this landmark volume.

Be warned that this is not a quick read book; Mr. Schneider will challenge you.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Are people receiving this? I was also notified mine shipped 6/23 to Phoenix but nothing yet.My first L&L order so don't know what to expect for shipping time.
[quote]
On 2011-07-02 08:57, bnburns wrote:
Are people receiving this? I was also notified mine shipped 6/23 to Phoenix but nothing yet.My first L&L order so don't know what to expect for shipping time.
[/quote]

Hi bnburns,

Unless you specify otherwise L&L ships via USPS media mail (uggghhh). Still, you are NOT that far from Tahoma, CA. You should give them a call. Mine took 8 days from Tahoma to NW Ohio.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
I am in NY and it have not arrived yet,shipped on 6/22, I expect to have it by Tuesday :)
It's been an outstanding year for books so far.
[quote]
On 2011-07-02 21:02, motown wrote:
It's been an outstanding year for books so far.
[/quote]

Yep, yep, yep, I agree.
Just received my copy. A great, great book! Almost didn't buy it. I am glad that I changed my mind on this one.

Nicely laid out; nice sized font (for these older, tired eyes :) ) and plenty of photos. The effects are tried-and-true, and all are well described. This should be a strong candidate for book of the year.
Angelo
Got my copy today and I was amazed of the sheer size of it.
Summer is saved thanks to this one and the Berglas book.
[quote]
On 2011-07-01 10:38, Vlad_77 wrote:
I opened this yesterday and it has been a while since I have encountered a book that shakes me out of my comfort zone.
[/quote]

Vlad,

In what way(s)? Would you elaborate?
Got the book, have read the very first pages only. First impression is very large book, the pictures look larger and clearer than of the previous Schneider's book, the early chapter in theory is excellent.
Great buy ...
Pablo
I spent last night reading this book and can honestly say it has already helped me. I wish I could say the same about the Berglas book which seems worse and worse as I read further and further. The descriptions of the coin moves is some of the best and clearest I've read.
I'm just getting into it and thumbing around, but so far I like that Mr. Schneider is very direct with his opinions- it was interesting that he thought most (if not all) "improvements" on his Matrix are anything but!
Mr. Schneider might want to work on his spelling and proofreading. While these shortcomings are minuscule in comparison to the the theoretical and methodological goals of "Al Schneider Magic," it gives one pause when Mr. Schneider repeatedly refers to the "Han Ping Chien" move as the "Heng Ping Chen" move. This peccadillo is odd in a book in which a "majority of routines . . . utilize coins" (page 28). Sometimes Chinese names are misspelled in translation, but "Han Ping Chien" does seem to be the accepted spelling, given that it is listed this way in Bart Whaley's "Who's Who in Magic," Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic," Richard Kaufman's "Coinmagic" and Lewis Ganson's "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic."

A similar faux pas occurs on page 542 when Schneider refers to Jay Marshall as Jay Marshal and Howard Paul Bamman as Paul Howard Bahman. Given that Schneider believes these gentlemen to be seminal figures in his "magic involvement," it is somewhat surprising that he didn't take the trouble to confirm the correct spelling of their names.

David Roth and T. Nelson Downs might be forgiven for taking umbrage at Schneider's claim on page 108 that "as of this writing in 2011, I still know of no one that uses it nor have I seen it in print." The move in question is Schneider's "Thumb Flick," which Downs utilized in his "The Free and Unlimited Coinage of Silver" routine in the early 20th Century and was published as the "Kick Move in Roth's 1985 "Expert Coin Magic' (page 288).

It also might have been preferable to substitute a revised version of Schneider's "The Theory of Magic" eBook (2000) for the abbreviated theoretical section that opens "Al Schneider Magic." In condensing his theoretical claims into a mere 17 pages, Schneider leaves us with some puzzling statements. To wit, "I apologize I cannot say more about this for it is an idea that occurs to me as I write this" (page 27) and "I also realize that this introduces a bit of contradiction in the Five Steps of Magic . . . I am not sure how to handle this" (page 27). Spur-of-the-moment conjectures and unsolved contradictions are not the kind of rigorous exposition one expects in the theoretical sections of a book that explains "why my magic looks good" (page 11) and one in which the readers will "treasure" because "I have put my very best into it" (dust jacket).

While Mr. Schneider should be judged as a magician rather than an author, the writing often reads as if it were composed in a single draft, bringing to mind Gore Vidal's comment about Jack Kerouac, "That's typing, not writing."

These quibbles, as stated earlier, pale in comparison to the thrust of the book, but the carelessness Schneider displays undermines his credibility, to the detriment of his readers and himself. Admittedly, the previously posted positive comments about his book are more relevant, but given the nature of some of Schneider's claims, his minor shortcomings bear attention. It will be enlightening to read a critique of the book by someone as discerning, for example, as Jamy Ian Swiss.
I believe the magic effects speak for themselves. All these sold called shortcomings may not be the work of Mr. Schneider. Remember, L & L assembled and converted the text to the book page and sent it to a publisher for printing. Who knows where the claim for these minor imperfections lies.

I find it interesting you have not mentioned one routine from the book. I have seen these in person by Al Schneider and another magician who learned them from previous publications. I can only say they are true miracles in the proper hands.
"
These quibbles, as stated earlier, pale in comparison to the thrust of the book, but the carelessness Schneider displays undermines his credibility, to the detriment of his readers and himself."

boy, couldn't disagree more. This book is a revelation for me, and the first book in a while that really wants to make me do a through study. Don't know how a few typos could prevent anyone from seeing the real genius in this work or think it reflects on Mr. Schneider's credibility. First, I never thought his credibility was ever in question.
Kokot-

Your criticisms may be valid in terms of how they may reflect poorly on the author, but really, the mistakes you're talking about should have been caught by the editing and/or research department, and unless the book is self-published, those are services that should be supplied by the publisher.
Maybe they are so used to making dvd's they missed them!
It was Trumnan Capote -- not Gore Vidal. The precise quote was, "that isn't writing at all, it's typing."

The editing and research department missed it the first time around. In doing so, my credibility was undermined.
Truman.
Truman.
Truman.
Truman.
Truman.
I received my book yesterday. While it doesn't effect the content of the book, I really wish L&L had done a better job with the books design. It deserved better. The cover reminded me of something I'd find a funeral home. I though the typography could have been much more interesting. The photos are poorly cropped and feel like they were just plopped in without any sense of design. So much wasted space as a result. L&L just Hasn't ever put the same kind of care into the design of their books that Kaufman and Minch do. Which is really to bad.

While I love the contents of the book, I can't say the same about the design. Sorry, that's the art director in me.
To anyone that kares.
I did it all.
The book did not end the way it began.
I flunked English writing three times in college.
I wrote the book, attempted to edit it, did the cover, set the type.
Did I miss anything?
The book was to be just a collection of past material.
The reality of putting it all in one book altered what happened.
All the pics had to be re-shot.
They were all for internet quality which is to low for a book.
I had to buy a camera. I got one for $90.
I found I could not focus it as it is a computer job that focuses itself.
I had great difficulty in taking pictures.
80% have been edited to make silver coins look silver and rings visible.
I wrote a word processor to set the type.
In all of this I had one intention, give the reader something of value.
Much of the material was outdated. My thinking has changed since most of it was released.
Thus, I rewrote almost all of it.
I looked into hiring a professional editor. That could cost over $10000.
I doubt if L&L will make that much on sales. Magic is a small industry.
All of this greatly exceeded my initial time frame to produce the book.
I started and completed the book in 2 1/2 months.
When I first got the book in my hands I could not believe what I had done.
To me the book was a bunch of words on a computer screen.
I could not visualize what the final product would be.
I'm sorry I am a fat 68 year old computer geek that works on airplanes and pacemakers.
I clearly know nuttin about magic or publishing a book.
I beg your forgiveness.
Al Schneider
To anyone looking to purchase this book- please do. I'm new to performing and have been "lurking" in the fringes for--- well lets say I bought my Tarbell's in 1978- oh and I was born 1950 - Ive coleected and read a lot in that time. For me and only speaking for me I have improved more since using Al's DVD "Al Schneider Technique" than at any time before, his thinking resonates to this science geek - Biologist/Pathology Assistant and Educator ( HS andCollege). I would recommend that in the future the book and the DVDs be packaged together. In the few typos I saw, it is far far better than anything I get at the college level and HS well at least 1/3 to 1/2 can't write in cursive and much less can write , compound sentences. So I do not judge soley on whats printed on the paper but n the concept quality. I took the time to view effects as I read them in the book. I found, that the effects and subtleties as written are very much as Mr. S describes on the DVD. The" translation" of his explanations to print are to me excellent. I read between 5-6 books a week on a variety of topics and you would be amazed at the errors that large publishing houses miss. I recently read a text where dates, and middle names were misspelled and just plain wrong - this was by an expert on the topic and they got it wrong and the publisher missed it- the author (a friend) and I had long discussion about it - needless to say when he checked his notes he admitted to transcription error.

Writing a book is a huge undertaking and getting photos just right for publication is an even bigger PIA. Try writing for a peer reviewed journal and submitting prints; digital or otherwise, then having to wait for review and their decision to accept or not to publish.

Thank-you Mr. Schneider- as I said to you in an email, I appreciate your work .

john
There are very few books that I'm jealous about not publishing: Al Schneider's book is one of them. I asked Al several times over the years when he was writing for Genii and we were in touch often if he would let me take all of his eBooks, and older books, and turn them into a big truly great book that would be there 100 years from now. I could never convince him.

I'm glad he's finally done it, warts and all. I just started reading my copy today and the content is superb as I knew it would be.
Dear Mr. Kaufman
I am touched. I was always afraid of such a subject.
I guess the problem is that you never spoke my language.
I speak $$$$.
Especially at a time I need to pay the rent.
Let's talk.
By the way, I am worried about you.
My computer says your web site is down ????
Al Schneider
I only have one comment: This book is fantastic. I have loved reading every page. I'll be studying this book carefully for years to come. All I can say is thank you Mr. Schneider for one fantastic piece of work.
You DID it Mr. Schneider!!
"The Penalty Of leadership" from Cadillac. Just a thought for all of those on the sidelines.
Bill G.
Virginia, USA
Ps. Does Mr. Kaufman like Georgetown Cupcakes?
Well, for me.. The so called mistakes, etc.
I think it makes it more personable!
And thank you Mr. Schneider for your honesty. And thank you for sharing this book with us!
Mine (Delux edition Signed!)arrived damaged (not by shipping), but L & L quickly agreed to send me a new one. I mailed the damaged one back... Now That was hard to do!!!! I wanted to wait, but that isn't right... I want to thank L & L for their excellent customer service! Thank you L & L!

Anyways, while I had it for a few days, it was REALLY good!!!
I actually chuckled when I saw the mistakes. WHO CARES!!! I don't. Like I said, it makes it so much more personable.

But, we all have a right to our opinions.

Now I am waiting again for this masterpiece of Magic to arrive!
I am deployed, so the mail can take a little longer. Mail did not come today :(
OMG.

Mr. Schneider I'm impressed. Writing AND layout seems impossible to me. My most recent book (or booklet) was 60 pages and it took about a year start to finish. (And I had help on the layout). I assume you have no hair now from pulling it out on this project :)

Congratulations on getting this done. I've ordered it and will be reading it soon!

Doug
I appreciate your comments.
It really helps.
Al Schneider
You know there's always that crazy uncle at the party from too much Wild Turkey.
My 2nd copy arrived today!!! That was really quick. I am really excited and impressed with it already.
Thank you for sharing your Magic with us! Now, we can hopefully share it with others!

Mike
Al,

I've worshiped your clear thinking about magic since I bought a copy of Matrix back in 1977, for the best four dollars I ever spent on magic.

To your credit, you acknowledge your shortcomings in editing and proofreading, both then and now. Trust me, there's no shame in it. Your brilliance obviously shines elsewhere.

As a retired journalist and proofreader, I can tell you I would have proofed your book solely for the honor and pleasure of doing so. Well, and for a copy of the finished book, of course.

Contact me anytime. I am humbly at your service.

And thank you for Matrix.

Mark Nemmers
Alakazam Magic are showing this book on their website but they are in fact out of stock of the item. So if you want it quickly, don't order from Alakazam!

Max
I ordered Approaching Magic last friday from Alakazam. I received a mail a hour later that's the book out of stock and
that they will send the book on Monday. Monday I received a mail it has been sent.
On Thursday the book was in the post box.
I live in Germany. I can only recommend Alakazam.
[quote]
On 2011-07-21 17:39, maxamillian1 wrote:
Alakazam Magic are showing this book on their website but they are in fact out of stock of the item. So if you want it quickly, don't order from Alakazam!

Max
[/quote]
Annoying. I ordered it. Guess I'll be waiting a while. Not the first time this has happened.

They should add an in/out of stock indicator.
I have an earlier publication from Al, The Practice of Magic Deception. It's had a profound impact on the way I view magic. This larger collection of his works, looks to be a real treat. Thank you Al!
I am a great admirer of Al Schneiders magic, his thinking and his teaching. He has this rare talent for making you look at your own magic with new eyes - more clear eyes.

Since I already have most of his manuscripts and DVDs and not so much money, I am not bying this book. But I wish I could afford it!!

Troels
I'm really having a hard time choosing between this book, and the older DVD set. Part of the problem is that the ToC for the book is not quite as detailed as I might wish. Would someone be willing to "fill in the blanks" for me? For example, what moves are taught in Chapter 6 under "Coin Moves"? The DVD set has a section on lapping; does the book contain any teaching on lapping?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.
[quote]
On 2011-08-01 11:24, Garrett wrote:
I'm really having a hard time choosing between this book, and the older DVD set. Part of the problem is that the ToC for the book is not quite as detailed as I might wish. Would someone be willing to "fill in the blanks" for me? For example, what moves are taught in Chapter 6 under "Coin Moves"? The DVD set has a section on lapping; does the book contain any teaching on lapping?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.
[/quote]

I purchased this book about a month ago...Here are some answers:
- there is no lapping
- Coin Moves: FP, CP, Schneider Vanish, Schneider Classic Vanish, Snapback , Pop Up Move,Max Al Ping Chein, Twirl Load
Quite a bit of detail is given on each
I also have Al Schneider Technique DVD Vol 1 ...a few of these moves are also taught in that DVD
Tm613,

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks for the help!
[quote]
On 2011-07-22 17:00, Andi Peters wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-07-21 17:39, maxamillian1 wrote:

Max
[/quote]
Annoying. I ordered it. Guess I'll be waiting a while. Not the first time this has happened.

They should add an in/out of stock indicator.
[/quote]
I know how you feel, I've been waiting for 3 weeks for an out of stock item to come back in. In the meantime they have my money.
The book received a very positive review by Jamy Ian Swiss in the latest issue Genii. This was well-deserved and I hope it helps your sales.

The material in the book and the way it's taught make this my favorite magic book in a long time.
Agreed. This book is very well written. The teaching is extremely thorough. I don't own any other written material from Al, but would definitely pick up something else if I came across it.
What is the skill level for this book?
I have read the table of content but still have no clue about the difficulty
I like the fact that Al wrote the book himself. His personality shines through every page.
[quote]
On 2011-08-18 00:34, Hugokhf wrote:
What is the skill level for this book?
I have read the table of content but still have no clue about the difficulty
[/quote]

The book is self contained so every move you would need to do an effect is taught in the book....There are no knuckle busters and . I would say that the effects range from basic to intermediate to advanced (some of the HPC related effects can be difficult to get timing on but are obtainable)...some you will get quickly others will require more practice...
Thanks for your reply,
I am sure I will be getting this soon, to introduce some variety into my act.
thanks
Just a heads-up that Al is starting to offer some more of his writings (as E-books) here:

http://www.omenquest.com/wmcsales/aaaa.htm

In addition, his Fast Track Coin Magic is now available on Amazon.
I just met Al Schneider at this year's Houdini Club Convention in Green Bay and because we were both dealers with displays across from each other, had the oppportunity to sit down and spend quite a bit of time talking with Al about performing magic for civilans.

Al is a thinking man's magician, is very approachable, LOVES to talk magic with magicians, and is, in my opinion, a GREAT guy.

I now have an autographed copy of AL Schneider Magic in my library, which will proudly sit next to the other classics of magic books autographed to me by Vernon, Slydini, Bobo, Stewart James, Et al...

If you are a serious student of magic.........buy the book!

It's a BARGAIN for what it contains........
Thank you Mr. Schneider for your interest in magic and this book that shares your ideas.
Don't skip the Schneider Vanish. You might think you can vanish a coin, but this is the best sleight-of-hand vanish of it's kind. This is such an awesome book!
This book is a gem; it opened my mind like few other books did in the last 20 years! Thanks Mr. Schneider for this unbelieveble labour of love!
I think (I hope at least!) I will spend the next 20 years taking the Al's book from my library!
Cheers Mr Schneider!
Matt from Italy
Is osmosis coin trick on dvd.
One of the very best books on close-up magic ever published IMO!
I was looking on Amazon and saw that Al had several books out before this "big one" came out. Are all the materials from his previous publications included in this huge work?
Perhaps Al himself can answer that question.
Doing some research on Al Schneider and found this page. As a Labor Day special, LLepub is selling the book download for $10 as well as his Technique videos, also for $10 each. What a great deal.
Will probably also by the hardcover but it is really nice to have a digital copy to carry around on my iPad and phone.
[quote]On Aug 31, 2017, PhilJake wrote:
Doing some research on Al Schneider and found this page. As a Labor Day special, LLepub is selling the book download for $10 as well as his Technique videos, also for $10 each. What a great deal.
Will probably also by the hardcover but it is really nice to have a digital copy to carry around on my iPad and phone. [/quote]

Thanks for that. Now I don't have to wait for black Friday sales.
[quote]On Aug 31, 2017, Wordsworth wrote:

Thanks for that. Now I don't have to wait for black Friday sales. [/quote]
Sign up for their email list. They have 50% - 60% off sales several times thru the year.
[quote]On Sep 3, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
[quote]On Aug 31, 2017, Wordsworth wrote:

Thanks for that. Now I don't have to wait for black Friday sales. [/quote]
Sign up for their email list. They have 50% - 60% off sales several times thru the year. [/quote]

That's true. The last few years I've been in the habit of just waiting for their black friday sales. I got one of the Skinner Workers this weekend, and probably looking to add one or more of the Malone meets Marlo videos also.