(Close Window)
Topic: A Wikipedia game
A recent xkcd cartoon made the observation that if one picks a random Wikipedia article, and clicks on the first link that's not in italics or in parentheses, and continues that process, you'll eventually arrive at the "philosophy" article.

For example, starting with Max Maven, one gets:

Max Maven > United States > Federalism > Politics > Group decision making > Individual > Person > Human > Extant taxon > Biology > Natural Science > Science > Knowledge > Fact > Information > Sequence > Mathematics > Quantity > Property (philosophy) > Modern Philosophy > Philosophy.

So my challenge to the group is; find a cycle of articles (using the rules above) that does not include the philosophy article. Remember, italics or links in parentheses don't count. Otherwise, "ancient Greek" and "Latin" are both cycles.

Oh, and also... no editing articles to make the desired cycles. That's cheating. :)
What an amazing find!
I tried around 10 cycles, and in around 25 clicks for each one I was at Philosophy!

To win this game, how many clicks do you do?
Because if there was an unlimited amount of clicks, then you WOULD get to philosophy in the end.

Kyle
Banjo
Wait. I didn't read the rules correctly. I clicked something in parentheses.

Anyway, it's not really an amazing find, when you think about it seriously. At some point anything you want to know about is categorized in some way, and the beginning of categorization is philosophy.
I've heard a similar thing about "mathematics."