(Close Window)
Topic: Kub Zag latch
Message: Posted by: GrassosMagicTheatre (May 31, 2011 11:13AM)
Where can I find these latches to my Mini Kub Zag door?
Message: Posted by: GrassosMagicTheatre (May 31, 2011 11:29AM)
Photo:
That looks hand made to me. Looks like it's just a piece of stiff trimmed leather trapped beneath the knob/handle. That could be replicated from any kind of stiff left-over material from leather to metal to plastic.
Message: Posted by: GrassosMagicTheatre (May 31, 2011 12:11PM)
It's not hand made. It's metal, not leather.
Looks pretty rough for anything machine stamped. Anyway, it could be made out of just about anything stiff and thin in 10 minutes or less.
Message: Posted by: GrassosMagicTheatre (May 31, 2011 12:18PM)
I don't want to make it. I just want to know if anyone out there knows where this is supplied, so I can match the ones I already have.

By the way, it's covered with a vinyl in the photo.
Well, if you can't see a way to make it yourself, over here is something a bit nicer:

http://www.knobsandhardware.com/latches/acorn-manufacturing-rldbp-barknob-rough-iron-cabinet-latch_g170895.html

Here's the latch home page:

http://www.knobsandhardware.com/latches_700.html
It's a type of bar latch, although I've never seen one like yours. I did a brief image search and didn't run across anything that matches. You could do a more extensive search if you want, but for my time, I'd be more inclined to replace them all with a different style that does the same thing.
I agree, Michael. I looked for images too. If you look closely at the left side of the bar, where it touches the small locking knob, you can clearly see the sharp points and edges that appear to be hand filed. If that's a stamped piece, it's gotta be the worst example I've ever seen. The whole arrangement -- bar, knobs, etc. -- looks old school DIY.
Message: Posted by: GrassosMagicTheatre (May 31, 2011 12:52PM)
Here's another photo: Anyone?

This is a Chalet Kub Zag. I just can't get a hold of George Kimmery. It is far from DIY. I'm just looking to replace 1 of the 3 that's on there.
All opinions as to quality aside, I don't know about Michael, but I spent 20 mins of my morning doing a search on your behalf, as well as providing links that I thought could help.

You're welcome.
It looks like it is a piece of aluminum flat bar, with a notch drilled/cut out of it and a hole drilled in the center to mount it. Then covered with vinyl or Tuff-Cote, which George uses on his props.
Message: Posted by: GrassosMagicTheatre (May 31, 2011 01:12PM)
I am familiar with using Google Images to search for similar latches. I figured I would post on the Café, hoping someone would know the actual piece of hardware used. Thank you.
[quote]
On 2011-05-31 14:09, David Garrity wrote:
It looks like it is a piece of aluminum flat bar, with a notch drilled/cut out of it and a hole drilled in the center to mount it. Then covered with vinyl or Tuff-Cote, which George uses on his props.
[/quote]

No, David, that would make it hand made, which we have been told is not possible. I mean, come on, the guy building a custom cabinet isn't going to know how to drill and file a piece of left over bar stock, now is he? Get real! It has to be store bought, there's just no other possible explanation.
This probably won't help you, but here is a photo of a Kub Zag that I refinished for a friend. It has brass slide latches. Would you be interested in replacing the old ones?

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/amosmc/Useless%20Junk/100_2258.jpg[/img]
Message: Posted by: GrassosMagicTheatre (May 31, 2011 02:03PM)
I actually like those. I am most concerned about the speed of the unlatch. I think those would do great. Thanks, Clinton.
Message: Posted by: Michael J. Douglas (May 31, 2011 02:22PM)
GMT,

First off, welcome to the Café. :)

Secondly, I can understand your frustration, but these guys know their stuff. Besides getting in touch with Chalet to see about getting a replacement, your best bet is to either fashion one yourself or take the advice offered and choose new latches.
[url=http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202597982&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202597982&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-202597982&locStoreNum=4802]This[/url] is the closest I've found - could you possibly use the lever as a replacement? You could easily attach a knob and coat it with a flat-black paint, if you wish to have them resemble the old ones.
It is a two hole strap that you can buy at any home center. One of the holes is notched with a jig saw with a metal blade.
Message: Posted by: GrassosMagicTheatre (May 31, 2011 04:27PM)
I actually contacted Smoky Mountain Magic and Dan suggested the slide latches also. Chalet has licensed him exclusively to produce the Kub Zag.
Sometimes it's easier to go straight to the source. :) By the way... Great Job on AGT Michael.
I had the same question. I was told it is made by KraftMaid and was used on doll houses. Havent been able to find it but may be worth a try. They are not homemade according to a few hardware store owners around here. It is an actual product I was told.