(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Magic Shops
Hey everyone, just wondering what your favorite magic shops are? Please list the name of the shop and the city and state it is in as well as any other details you want to include.
Thanks!
-Jack
Misdirections, San Francisco
Denny & Lee's in Baltimore.
International Magic shop , in London,
great convention too
The Browser's Den of Magic- Toronto, ON
The Browser's Den of Magic.
Toronto, Canada.

Great devotion to the literature.
Midwest Magic Franklin Park Illinois just minutes from O'Hare Airport in the CHicago suburbs. Huge inventory.
Magicbox.
Newcastle upon Tyne.
UK.
Williams Magic in Tucson Arizona is a GREAT magic shop. VERY well supplied, with the the finest service you will find anywhere. williamsmagic.com

I am not affiliated, just a fan!
IllusionsMagic in Willowick, OH: Buck Bressler is very old school (but not very old) and being in that shop always reminds me of why we NEED brick and mortar shops.

The Cuckoos' Nest in Pittsburgh, PA: I have known Linda for a number of years and her commitment to customer service should be a model for ANY business. Her shop like Buck's mentioned above is very well stocked and the demonstrators are simply the best. (Not saying I am one of the best but I was a demonstrator there and Linda has this wonderful way of making her demonstrators feel important such that you WANT to work harder for her.)

Tannen's in NYC: This one might raise some eyebrows but I have seen remarkable improvement in the way Tannen's does business. They seem to have found the focus again that once made them of the legendary shops in the world.

Magic, Inc. in Chicago - Need I really say more??

Ahimsa,
Vlad
....Tam Shepherds in Glasgow, where you get a lovely welcome from Roy Walton and his wife and daughters.....Magicbox in Newcastle, smashing bunch of guys there...and, of course, the merchant of magic down in Hampshire ('cos they believedin 'Up The Ante' enough to promote it for me!!)

Cheers

Martyn
Tannens Magic Shop in NY City
Rogue Magic Shop, NYC. Fantasma NYC and Cuckoos Nest, Pittsburgh.
MJM...can't beat free shipping and a discount...
A vote for KW Magic Shop in Waterloo and Browser's Den of Magic in Toronto. =)

(For online........VanishingInc and Murphys)

- Arthur
I'm surprised no one mentioned those great magic stores:

WalMart
Michael's

and for certain items: Blick, Pearl, or other art supply stores

All you have to supply is your creativity :)
Cuckoos Nest, Pittsburgh PA - very nice customer service. They don't have everything, but when I visit, I usually find a lost gem. Unfortunately I don't get out there much anymore but I still support them via mail order.

Denny & Lee, Baltimore - Denny has to be one of the nicest guys and talented magicians around. I've seen his card work and it looks effortless. A true pro and very helpful to those starting out as well. He steers you away from garbage.

Tannens, NYC - I met the new owner. Nice guy. I like the vibe in the new digs as well.
[quote]
On 2011-06-01 10:22, Vlad_77 wrote:
IllusionsMagic in Willowick, OH: Buck Bressler is very old school (but not very old) and being in that shop always reminds me of why we NEED brick and mortar shops.

Vlad
[/quote]

Vlad - How often are you in Cleveland? I know Buck pretty well. Didn't think anyone would mention Illusions but I'm glad you did.

JT
Midwest Magic, Franklin Park, Illinois. Lots of books, nice people there, and good lectures.

Used to like Al's Magic in Washington, D.C.
Taylors Magic Shop. They've recently moved to bigger & better premises.
Great friendly service and a yearly convention.
Last week they had Martin Lewis lecture. Brilliant!

Richard
I'll second Misdirections in SF as well my personal favorite on line Hocus Pocus in Fresno Calif.

RIP Hollywood Magic, Hollywood Calif.

MMc
I've been to the Cuckoos Nest in Pittsburgh, Mistdirections in SF (great store), there used to be a very good store in Boston (someone else can supply the name). Living in New York, Tannen's is there but I've always been disappointed in their stock of books and I'm not thrilled with the new location.
Don't know why you guys don't like it, but I am a penguin fan (don't boo me)
they have low prices on everything
I will go with two places.

1)Tannen's magic in NY. The myth and the fact you get good service. I go there twice a year when I am in New York for business.

2) Magie Spectram in Montreal. My hometown store where I can order what I want.

Slim
William's Magic in Tucson AZ....Great Shop
Steve Johnson's Grand Illusions Magic Shop near Sacramento California.

http://www.grandillusions.com
7704 Fair Oaks Boulevard
Carmichael, CA 95608-1706
(916) 944-4708

Just a small shop but a big hub for Magic and Lectures by a host of excellent Magicians. Steve and his parents Leeora and Don make every one welcome. Don Johnson's Home made cookies at the lectures don't hurt either.

-Mary Mowder
Wunderground in Ferndale, Michigan
and
Abbotts, Colon, Michigan
Wow! Lots of favorites, Thanks everyone!
-Jack
Williams Magic in Tucson is one of the finest in the country. Great selection and the Williams family are the nicest people you will ever meet.

Steve Ehlers
I was just in Sedona and didn't think about Williams Magic. Rats.
Staples, Home Depot and the 99 cents store.
[quote]
On 2011-06-01 19:15, Hugokhf wrote:
Don't know why you guys don't like it, but I am a penguin fan (don't boo me)
they have low prices on everything
[/quote]

That isn't a brick and mortar magic shop. So really doesn't fit. It's an online shop but we are all thinking of actual buildings that you can go into browse and buy from while there.

As to why they aren't liked that much do some searching on the Café and you will know.
Penugin is one of reasons why there are so few brick and mortar shops left.
Denny & Lee's in Baltimore. Great shop and best advice you'll ever get.
Magic Spectram in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Like slim23 said, it's really good and you can order almost anything for if they don't have it.
Martinka's Magic, Midland Park, NJ
Misdirections, San Francisco
Browsers Den Of Magic in Toronto Rocks...Friendliest service anywhere... The 2 Jeffs are the coolest cats doing demos and service is awesome...
The Magic Corner in Raleigh, NC.

Mike
Denny and Lees , Las Vegas.
Used to be Flosso Hornmanns on W.34th street but that was 35 years ago. :)
Hank Lee's old shop with my Dad.
I quadruple thirds the seconds on Williams Magic in Tucson.

Truly an amazing magic shop and if you ever get a chance to check out their
traveling magic shop, do so. You won't believe how much stuff Mr. Williams
has packed into that wagon. He was here just the other day. Love it!

Jim
[quote]
On 2011-06-05 15:52, Jim Oliver wrote:

Jim
[/quote]

Traveling magic shop??? Can you give me details about that?
Thanks
-Jack
The Cuckoo's Nest
Pittsburgh, Pa
412-481-4411

Linda, Tom and the staff are great people.

Give 'em a call or find their website.

Shooz
On line my two favorite are MJM and Hocus Pocus.

Joe
Besides Home Depot it would be Browser's Den!

I'm a New Yorker, I visited Browser's when I went up for Magicana, and I (on a VERY tight budget) didn't end up getting anything (even though I wanted to). They were very friendly and conversational. Then I wanted to check out Morissey magic, and they gave me very clear directions, to their competition, WHAT?
Then when I came back for a private performance going on, when dealing with a customer they gave great attention to his needs, and when he was buying a magazine didn't upsell the guy(customer) or anything, just made he had got exactly what he came for!

If every business, magic or otherwise operated like that, much fewer would go out of business quickly! Which made me want to be something even more. And by the way they didn't seem upset at ALL when I didn't get anything. Keep it up guys.
My favorite shops are 52magic.com in China, magic-recipe.com in India, penguinmagic.com and mjmmagic.com!
I really, really, like Williams Magic Shop too! They're extremely nice and its a joy to browse around in there!
[quote]
On 2011-06-05 19:24, jackofspades11 wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-06-05 15:52, Jim Oliver wrote:

Jim
[/quote]

Traveling magic shop??? Can you give me details about that?
Thanks
-Jack
[/quote]

Yes I would also like some details! I did not know about this and its sound interesting!
I live in Australia on an Island state called Tasmania which doesn't have one magic shop. Hmm theres an idea for a business one day.

So Vanishing Inc and Dan and Dave online stores are my favourites
Fellow On-line shoppers,

Several years ago my local shop went out of business and I was forced to do the bulk of my shopping online. What I decided to do was always use a different site and find the best few then use them exclusively. Since there are so many it's going to take me a couple more years to get through them. The most important thing for me was to be fair to everyone. I was thinking I have to be careful not to let the purchases received reflect the store (when they are just the retailer). In other words, if I ended up loving the effect that shouldn't reflect the store but rather the author or creator. At first I also thought about places I visited in person not letting that bias my evaluation of their web store. An example would be Tannen's, I have some nostalgic feelings associated with that store and thought it might be unfair to another that I have never visited in person. I try to only order no more than 3 items to avoid that disappointing "backorder" notice.

Keeping with the spirit of this section of the Café, I will not use my personal list to hammer anyone. If I've had a bad experience (very, very few thankfully) I plan on not even mentioning them.

One thing that appeals to a cheap-skate such as myself is the discount coupons or discount codes. Everyone seems to offer them but some places make it hard to find them or I don't know what's available. On the flip side some email me every other day with sales and codes.

Threads like this one are great because they give me good ideas and have helped me find some good places. The idea of a secret shopper appeals to me and I hope to offer a nice list to everyone someday of the best of the best. Without revealing anything too soon I have found that when you buy items directly from people who have developed material (Vanishing Inc, Mr. Dean Dill, SFS, Viking etc) it really makes a difference. General retailers are more of a mixed bag.

Ease of use of the web site is something that hasn't been discussed, but is one of the biggest differences I have found so far.

Keep the ideas coming, I love it.

Respectfully,

Phil
You can see the Williams Magic Mobile shop on Youtube. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1uSVynJBNs
I have to say that's pretty interesting and something completely different huh? I like the idea and hopefully it continues to work well for them :)
Barry's Magic shop in Rockville Maryland http://www.barrysmagicshop.com (1400 miles from my house but worht the commute)

Stevens Magic in Wichita KS

Great shops with great owners.
Since I am up here in the city, as they say, I will plan to stop in to Misdirections today. Looking forward to it.
My faforate magik stoor is 3 milez far from the howz. I to try not bye magik from compewter.
[quote]
On 2011-07-15 03:17, mystrmagic wrote:
You can see the Williams Magic Mobile shop on Youtube. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1uSVynJBNs
[/quote]

That shop is new and also very cool. They have a full time shop in Tucson as well. Give them a call and chat.
Either directly from the producer or from penguin magic if possible :)
[quote]
On 2011-07-21 16:33, kennewhitson wrote:
Barry's Magic shop in Rockville Maryland http://www.barrysmagicshop.com (1400 miles from my house but worht the commute)

Stevens Magic in Wichita KS

Great shops with great owners.
[/quote]

I 2nd the recommendation for Barry's in Rockville. A fantastic shop, and Barry is great (and so is his staff). A wide selection of effects and good prices, too.
Greetings...

Does William's post any kind of schedule for where their mobile shop will be?

Thanks,
Joe
[quote]
On 2011-06-01 16:04, fonda57 wrote:
Midwest Magic, Franklin Park, Illinois. Lots of books, nice people there, and good lectures.

Used to like Al's Magic in Washington, D.C.
[/quote]
Another chicagoan! Do you ever go to PJs trick shop? I really like that store.
Keep away from this company, they don't exist, I wanted the vanishing radio they have on there site. http://www.kapmagic.com/index.php?searchstring=radio&x=0&y=0
I'd have to say that my two favorite magic stores are Denny & Lees in Baltimore and Browsers Den in Toronto. Browsers Den has a nice selection and I find the staff really friendly. As far as Denny & Lees, I happened to be there during a lecture. Denny probably spent an hour with me. There were a couple of items I had on my list and he would sometimes steer me to another item that he said was better (and often, less expensive). Its shops like these that give you great service that make me realize won't you can't get from an internet shop.
[quote]
On 2011-06-02 13:49, Dennis wrote:
Martinka's Magic, Midland Park, NJ
[/quote]

I agree. Whenever I get a chance I like going there. The store has a lot of history in it.
Denny & Lee Las Vegas is my favorite out west.
Williams Magic in Tucson is now closed, adding to the list of good bricks and mortar shops that are no more. My sense of those folks is that they were smart business people, so I suspect if they couldn't make a go of it anymore no one could.

However, they are keeping the online business going AND the mobile magic store. I saw the mobile shop when it was in Southern California about a year and a half ago. It's amazing how much magic they fit into that truck. Good prices too!
I was recently VERY impressed with Denny and Lee's when I had searched EVERYWHERE for two effects that I simply could not find. I had heard about D &L and when I went there, they had BOTH items in stock. I'll be shopping there from now on much more frequently.
There aren't many bricks and motar shops In the uk but a good few online ones such as merchant of magic
Max's Magic Shop in Albuquerque, NM!
We are very lucky to have Max Krause in here in the Land of Enchantment.
Of course he is knowledgable and gives friendly, professional service.
Wide selection of effects, including his own original mind-destroyers.
His presence bodes well for the magic community in New Mexico!
Merlins in Wakefield, Yorkshire, UK. Great bricks and mortar shop and Mark and Phil are always friendly and helpful.

Also, used to go to International in London, if Jerry Sadowitz was working there it was always an interesting visit!

Nick
Magic inc.
In Chicago!!
US Toy Magic in KCMO, Top Hat Magic and SpotLite Magic in Tulsa OK. and my favorite "Magic Shop" I miss was is my good friend Bob Sanders' house when he lived in Fayetteville AR back in the early 80s! He was my "go to" guy and mentor for sure! All good memories.
Big Guy's Magic in Peuwaukee, WI.

Twin Cities Magic in St. Paul, MN

Eagle Magic in Burnsville, MN
I've only been in this shop twice, but I give this shop a lot phone and internet business.

Magic Inc. in Chicago. It's the oldest brick and mortar magic shop in North America. It's been in business since 1926! (Although it was orginally called Ireland Magic Company) They are obviously doing something right!

Here's why I do a lot of business with them. Even though I don't have the privledge to physically be in the shop, everytime I call them, the person on the other end of the phone line always treats me like I am. Their customer service is top notch and everyone there is so knowledgeable and (get this) honest and very opinionated.

I absolutely love their unique publications. Check this out: http://www.magicinc.net/closeupfrenchstyle.aspx
(If you look at the bottom of the page you can see my two cents about this book, way back in 2011.) Close Up French Style by Bernard Bilis is a 52 page booklet sporting 9 unique and original card and coin items that you can't find anywhere else...Six dollars and ninety five cents...Think about it!

In my library I have about 70 or so of these Magic Inc. Publication manuscripts and trust me, they are worth their weight in gold! I personally think these manuscripts are THE best kept secert in magic and mentalism.

In addition to these manuscripts that they are practically giving away, they have great and unique books. Just like this one I'm going to pre-order in a couple of weeks: http://www.magicinc.net/thecompletealleech.aspx
Very excited it's finally here!

I'm going to end this opinionated rant here with a true story.

A little over a year ago I saved up about 400 dollars to get 1 extremely hard to find book: The Magic of Matt Scheullin. At this point, for the prior five years I tried to obtain a copy. The book was selling from anywhere between 200-350 dollars even back then. However, I told myself that year, "This will be the year I will get this book to study, come hell, rain, or highwater!" Of course, that's not the way life works. Despite the fact that I had the means at this point to outbid a bidder or make someone a 400 dollar offer, it still didn't change the fact that over a 9 month period I simply could not find a listing for it. It seemed hopeless and I gave up hope of ever finding a copy.

Ah, but then I had an epiphany, The Magic of Matt Schuellin is ,after all, a Magic Inc. publication; maybe there is a chance they will re-print it! I couldn't believe I hadn't thought about that before! So, I give them a call and Pedro answers the phone. (Great guy!) Here's a re-enactment of the conversatoin:

Pedro: Magic Incorparated, this is Pedro.
Me: Hi Pedro, this is David Martin here, I have a question for you regarding a book.
Pedro: Sure, how can I help?
Me: I've been looking for The Magic of Matt Schuellin for a number of years now without much luck. I know Magic Inc. is the publisher of it and I was wondering if you guys are considering re-printing it at some point in the future.
Pedro: Highly doubtful considering that there simply isn't enough interest in it. Most of the younger magicians now and days don't even know about the book or Schuellin's. So, I don't foresee us re-printing it anytime soon.
Me: I figured as much. Have you seen how much that book is going for now and days? Completely insane!
Pedro: Yeah, I've seen it go for around 200.
Me: I've seen it go higher.
Pedro: Want to hear a funny story?
Me: Sure.
Pedro: A few minutes before you called I was in the warehouse part of the store sorting some manuscripts and books. I found one copy of this book that was tucked behind the shelf...

(Yeah, my head was spinning.)

Me: You're kidding me?!?
Pedro: Nope, it's part of a run from the second time we printed it, back in 76'. Are you interested?
Me: Wow! Absolutely! How much?

(At this point, I didn't care how much. Finally, after all these years it was mine. I felt accomplished. What happened next almost made me faint.)

Pedro: How does 40 dollars sound to you?

(We just had a short conversation about how high this book is going for, he's charing me...40 dollars. I couldn't believe this was really happening.)

Me: It sounds to good to be true.
Pedro: Well, I see you placed an order with us yesterday kind of late in the day and your recent order hasn't shipped yet. Would you like me to add this book to your order?
Me: Please do!
Pedro: Sure thing, I'll charge your card.

This is one of many reasons why I love the shop.

David
David, I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Pedro at the 2014 combined convention and he is a real asset to Magic Inc. One of the nicest guys you'll want to meet if you ever get a chance.
[quote]On Apr 5, 2014, JoshTmagic wrote:
Magic inc.
In Chicago!! [/quote]

I second that!
Anything in San Diego? I'm heading there soon for a vacation.

Ed
Ever since my beloved Magicland closed in Dallas I have become quite a fan of Magic Etc in Fort Worth.
I heard reports that The Timid Rabbit Magic & Masquerade Shop in Kalamazoo Michigan closed. It is not true. We have been open since 1974 and have been at our present location since 1990. We did cut back our hours to Noon through 6:00 PM )Wednesday through Saturday). Stop by for a chat or demonstration.