(Close Window)
Topic: The Pass, Passed me
I've been studying cards for about a year now and have never taken the time to learn "A Pass". There seems to be many ways out there. Which do you recommend learning first and why? :cheers:

Thanks For the Time

"T"
The classic pass...personally I think that's the best one, since it can be done invisibly if you do it right and the move needed to cover the pass is so natural...
Classic Pass. Then advance onto its variations that cover the motions like the riffle, dip, etc.

Also, the Turnover Pass is good when done properly. This pass and the spread pass have different mechanics as compared to the classic pass. The pass I don't like is the LePaul Spread Pass. Too angly, too many restrictions. I do enjoy one variation of it and that is the outjog spread pass, Michael Weber.
ToPher...
First off, welcome to the Café. We're glad you're here.

As for learning the pass, if you've been studying the pass for a year, be prepared to take the next year to learn the pass well. It can be that difficult to really get down.

I still can't do a classic pass worth a hill of beans (and just how much is [b]that[/b] worth, anyway?). I've found the Herrmann pass (aka the Turnover pass) to be far easier, and as effective.

At the same time, there will be those who question why you'd even need to learn the pass; "why move 51 cards to control the 52nd?," they'll say. I will note, however, that almost every single person who asks that question already [b]knows[/b] how to do the pass. Draw your own conclusions.

Have fun.
Hello,

Technically, a 'pass' is any move with cards that transposes the two halves of the deck thus bringing a card in the middle to either the top or bottom of the deck once the pass is over.

In reality what you are looking for first are 'controls' that will allow you to 'control' a card from a position in the deck to the top (generally) or the bottom of the deck.

The Pass as in the Classic Pass is a really, REALLY hard move to master. Period. You need to set your time line at a minimum of a year or more even with a good instructional video or personal instruction. Take the moves in the Classic Pass one at a time and very slowly working to perfect them in steps. Speed will come with perfection of the basic motions.

On controls: There are tons of excellent ones much easier to learn than the Classic Pass or it extreme variants the Riffle Pass, etc.

In my Video #4 The Basics of Expert Card Technique I expose the use of the Hindu Shuffle Pass for a variety of reasons and then follow it with various convincers including False Cuts and False Shuffles such as the Slip Shuffle, etc.

Daryl's Card Encyclopedia DVD or tapes have a huge number of techniques available. A technique that is a killer and much easier to learn than most think is the Side Steal.

Best,
Brad Burt
Topher,

I've just started out with the pass myself and I would like to think that within 3 months, I have gotten it to a stage at which I can perform it fairly reliably in front of laypeople.

I learned my pass from Ninja 1 which is available as an instant download from http://www.ellusionist.com. The instruction on this is first rate. However, this video is very expensive and there are cheaper DVDs out there. e.g. On the Pass with Richard Kauffman and The Perfect Pass by some other guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

Alternatively, you could try learning it from http://www.e-magictrick.com/emagic for free. However you need to pass a simple quiz on magical knowledge to gain access to the webcam instructional videos.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you need to know more.
Thanks for all the advice.

"T"
The classic pass is hard and I am still working on it. I found the it's the misdirection that make it work. You could do it slow with proper misdirection. I also like the midnight shift.

Thanks, Tony
:bikes:
I think Kaufman’s video/DVD gives the best explanation. You can see the move and how it should look, and the timing.
You don't get this from a book.
And, you actually can't see the move when done at speed.
Message: Posted by: Daniel J. Ferrara Jr. (Sep 22, 2003 11:29AM)
I'm sure Brad Burt doesn't want to plug himself here, so I will do it for him. Pick up Brad Burt’s video on "The Pass" (www.magicshop.com) and you will learn many variations on the topic in great detail. He covers The Classic Pass, Rear Riffle Pass, Front Riffle Pass, and many other variations.

I purchased his video about two or three years ago. I consider myself to be pretty good at The Pass now, but I still refer to the video from time to time.
But listen to Brad Burt's advice.

There are a lot of very, very good card controls out there, and you will want to learn a couple or three down cold before you even begin to practice with the pass. Most say that you shouldn't perform the pass until you have managed to do it 100% deceptively, and that will take months at least, and possibly a year or more.

You probably know a few controls if you've been in magic (card magic) for a year, so I won't suggest the more obvious controls such as the jog control or the triple cut, but the control that helped me the most was Infinity by Martin Nash. It's a gaff-card control that can be used with a borrowed deck.

Having a few controls, other than the pass, will lend a feeling of even more impossibility when you finally use the pass.

Although I am suggesting that you delay learning the pass, I am not suggesting that you delay it forever. The pass is one of the few sleights where you can control a card to the top without it looking like you did anything more than squaring the deck. It's a good tool to have in your toolbox, but it probably shouldn't be your first tool.

Bill
Here's an exhaustive list for you to be going on with:

1. Classic pass
2. Riffle pass
3. Robinson’s Invisible Riffle Pass
4. Dribble pass
5. Dribble cover pass (Krenzel)
6. Hermann Style Dribble Cover pass
7. Higham’s Dribble Shift
8. Longitudinal pass (Higham)
9. Twist pass (Wesley James)
10. Silent half jiggle pass (Dingle)
11. Stoboscopic riffle pass (Dingle)
12. Silent Pass (Dingle)
13. Dingle’s riffle pass
14. Jiggle pass
15. Ireland Drop Cover Pass
16. Float pass (Green)
17. Float pass backwards (Hollingworth)
18. Fingertip Float pass (Hollingworth)
19. Fingertip Float pass backwards (Hollingworth)
20. Deal Shift (Hollingworth)
21. Spring Shift (u.a. Hollingworth)
22. Free Turn pass (Cervon)
23. Free Turn table pass (Cervon)
24. Longitudinal Free Turn table pass (Cervon)
25. Fuente Square up Pass
26. Gambler’s sweep table pass
27. From the Mind of a Cardician (Marlo)
28. Cardician’s Mind keeps Working (Marlo)
29. A Table pass (Marlo)
30. Wrist Turn Pass No.1 (Marlo)
31. Wrist Turn Pass No.2 (Marlo)
32. Wrist Turn Pass No.3 (Marlo)
33. Marlo’s Wrist Turn Pass
34. Marlo’s Wrist Turn Table pass
35. Marlo’s Wrist Turn Drop Cover pass
36. Body Pass (Marlo)
37. Combination Pass (Marlo)
38. Fingertip pass (Marlo)
39. Table edge Pass (Marlo)
40. Extended Fingers Passes (Marlo)
41. Turnaround pass (Marlo)
42. Spring Dribble pass (Marlo)
43. Spring Dribble Table pass (Marlo)
44. Bold Table Shift (Marlo)
45. Another Combination pass (Marlo)
46. End Tap pass (Marlo)
47. Tan Hock Chaun Pass (Marlo)
48. Unconventional Pass (Marlo)
49. Olram’s Ponsin Pass (Marlo)
50. Olram’s Bobble Cover pass (Marlo)
51. Marlo’s Tilt Pass
52. Tilt table pass (Marlo)
53. another tables tilt pass (Marlo)
54. Easy pass (Marlo)
55. Tabled Charlier pass (Marlo)
56. Midnight Shift (Draun)
57. Flutter pass (Draun)
58. Charlier pass
59. Invisible pass (Giobbi)
60. Falsche Volte (GK)
61. Pointer Pass (Swain)
62. Soft Riffle Pass (Swain)
63. Sleeve pulling Shift (Swain? Malone?)
64. Malone shift
65. Thompson pseudo pass
66. Marlo’s Variation (Topping Thompson)
67. Bottom cover pass
68. Spread pass (Le Paul)
69. Black pass (Fred Black)
70. Location pass (Vernon)
71. Sprong’s pass (Johnny Sprong)
72. Fan Pass (Walter Baker)
73. Mexican Joe’s table pass
74. Charlie Miller’s table pass
75. Erdnase Shift, One Hand
76. Erdnase Shift, Two Hands
77. Longitudinal Shift (Erdnase)
78. Open Shift (Erdnase)
79. S.W.E. Shift
80. Drop Shift (Dom Paolino)
81. Zingone perfect table pass
82. Flesh Grip pass
83. Jog pass
84. Braue pass
85. Curious turnover pass (Bardosis)
86. Vernon’s one handed pass
87. Ehlers Shift
88. Bertram’s square up invisible pass
89. Turnover cover pass (Kaufmann)
90. Cover pass
91. Jenning’s Cover pass
92. Herman Style Cover pass
93. Juxta pass
94. Circle Shift (Jennings)
95. Paradigms
96. Slydini Pass
97. Double Lift Shift
98. Hermann Pass (Stanyon)
99. Hermann Pass (Roterberg)
100. Jack Merlin’s Turnover Pass
101. Dr. Dayley’s Improved Turnover Pass
102. Sendax Tap Pass
103. Jack Miller Pass
104. KE Pass
105. Louis Histed Pocket Pass
106. Poltergeist Pass
107. Leipzig Pass
108. Light-Reft Spread pass (Forton & Keyserlingk)
109. Buckley Table Pass 3rd Method
The pass has remained elusive to me as well. Though I can do it, it is not 100% invisible to the eye. It takes some misdirection to get it done. I asked Ernest Earick about The Classic Pass once and he laughed and said he remembered wasting his youth on the pass. The best advice he gave was just keep working on it and it will eventually fall into place.
Eddie, you forgot Dingle's roach pass. :rolleyes:
Fellow magi kid each other about the roach pass, but I've seen Gregory Wilson do it in front of laymen as a nod to the magicians in the room, and not one layman caught the pass… too busy looking at the roach.
Go for the classic pass. The videos mentioned are an invaluable aid. They show you that it can be done and done effectively as well as how to do it. Practice and patience will take care of the rest. Best of luck to you!
--GF
The riffle pass was the easiest to get "invisible" for me. After I got that down many of the other variations came pretty easily.

Kaufmann's “On The Pass” video is good and Card College helped me too.

Jesper
Steve Mayhew does the most beautiful Dribble Pass I have ever seen. I do the classic pass, and I thought pretty well... that was until I saw a pass done with true skill.

Check out Steve's thoughts on the Dribble Pass. I forget what the name of the publication is, but it was put out by Steven Minch and was a two part "magazine," devote to Steve Mayhew's card magic.

John
Hi ToPher,
I started doing card tricks when I was 5 years old. A technique that I have been using for more years than I care to remember is what I thought was a classic pass. I learnt it as described in a first edition of 'Karl Fulve's' book "Self-Working Card Magic". :bluebikes:

Too my shock and horror, I was describing the method of the effect to a junior member of our society having just performed a trick at a 'show and tell' evening, only to be corrected by a founding member :lol:of our society, that the move I had actually done was a reverse pass. I don't think I have ever been so embarrassed in my life having been using that technique for the last 17 years of my life!! :eek:
It only goes to show how easily terms used to describe techniques in magic can be called by the wrong name.
Michael A.
Hello:

As I was reading the above posts again it struck me more strongly than ever that one of the toughest things to get 'down' with the pass is a REASON to do the darn thing! "Please return your card to the deck..thank you." (Now, watch as I toss in a completely out of place riffle or dribble or whatever.)

This was ALWAYS the tough one for me to get around. I had to spend many hours attempting to integrate the move itself with my attitude towards WHY I was doing the move! For me, eventually, a kind of casual/nervous demi-flourish thing came out of trial and error before lay folks. You see it in my 'messy' way of dribbling the cards of the cut off half onto the selection and performing the pass in the action of squaring the deck back up in a slightly hyper fashion. This works for me, but I am a somewhat hectic performer and this attack serves.

REALLY take a look at WHY you are doing a move like the pass. It's part of the invisibility of ANY move is that it is NOT PERCEIVED AT ALL. If your audience fails to 'see' the move, but yet they 'think' something 'may' have happened....In some ways I think that this is worse than outright busting you. It is easier to cover a total flub than to convice someone that what they 'think' they saw...they didn't!

Take care,

Brad Burt
4 years in card magic and I still don't know how to do the Classic Pass. The first pass I learned is the Hermann Pass,it took only 2 days. Then the Turnover Pass. After knowing the basic mechanics of a turnover pass, I devised my own passes. It's better this way as for me. And it's easier to bring the bottom stock to the top rather than the top stock to the bottom.

If you want a thorough lesson on passes, Brad Burt and Kaufmann tapes are good. If you want a quickie lesson on passes visit http://www.ellusionist.com and look for the NINJA1 video.

have fun! :)
The pass is one of the more difficult sleights which isn't used very regularly but when it is used it is a beautiful move and very rewarding when you perform it flawlessly. The classic pass is a must... if you are worried about concealing it try moving the deck to the left as you close the halves together.. I find that it covers it better as themotion disorientates the spectator. The turnover pass is also a great move and easier to conceal. they are my two personal favourites.
Message: Posted by: davidcartwright7142 (Jul 20, 2004 03:16PM)
I too am struggling with the classic pass, despite reading it in Royal Road and practising for a few months. I've tried the link for an instructional video that someone suggested earlier on, but I need to pass the test by answering some Q's. I think I have them right, but it's telling me I haven't. Anyone care to help me please ? These are my answers:

1) Ed Marlo invesnted Snap Change
2) A coin matrix uses four coins underneath playing cards
3) David Blaine levitated on his special using Balducci technique
4) Crazy mans handcuffs uses elastic bands
5)A chop cup is used to vanish objects

Please help !
5 is a magnetic cup.
It seems like you have to use the link for the advanced section as well unless I was in such a hurry that I made a mistake the first time around.
I'll see what is on the site and let you know.
To Eddy. True the more methods you know, the more versatile you will be when performing your magic. This is handy when you should perform one trick twice to the same audition;)
Kaufman's On the Pass DVD has helped me out a LOT!

It is great if you can stand the terrible and redundant music.
I think the classic pass is the best. A riffle pass seems like it draws to much attention to the deck right after you've done your dirty work. This could make some spectators feel like they missed something.
Ken Krenzel's tape is the way to go for learning the pass.
I think Classic Pass is best in some situations and Riffle Pass is best in other situations.

If you want Pass after closing Ribbon Spread, I have Spread Closing Pass in which you change top portion and bottom portion while you are closing the spread.

Best depend on the context of the trick.

Hideo Kato
I was given the DVD "Pass with Care" by Pete Cassford a while back, which I think is a great primer for someone attempting to learn the pass. I own a few DVDs that 'teach' the pass, but this one is by far the best resource for it.

Just my $0.02.

Steve
If you are interested in the pass I have some information on it on video at my web site in both my scrapbook video theater and my hidden theater.

It might be useful for members wanting to learn the pass.
Actually, I prefer Ninja before Richard Kaufmann. It's a lot better teaching, a lot easier to follow and get the technique good.
Which kind of pass is demonstrated by Michael Weber in den documentary Deceptive Practice - The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay at the 1:16:05 mark?

Thank you!
A good one.
Is there a name to it. A source teaching it?
15 years of card tricks, 12/13 years performing, 6/7 years working on my pass, & I'm only just starting to feel good enough about them to throw one in occasionally. Probably many a years to go, but hey magic's a journey aye? =P
[quote]On Oct 20, 2020, martink65 wrote:
Which kind of pass is demonstrated by Michael Weber in den documentary Deceptive Practice - The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay at the 1:16:05 mark?

Thank you! [/quote]

It looks like a Hermann style pass, but done very smoothly.
Notice that the rhythm at which the pass is done, matches the speed and style with which the cards are spread and handled before the pass is executed.
The Pass is one of those things magicians feel they MUST learn.

I did, and it's almost a rite of passage.

It's not needed.

That said, Dai Vernon suggested that you jog the lower packet forward to avoid that V that inevitably happens with the classic teaching.
Message: Posted by: thegreatscungilli (Nov 28, 2020 09:24AM)
Another vote for Daryll's encyclopedia of card sleights and his card reveals videos. He was a very good card worker and interestingly enough he says more than once that he does not go into the "Classic Pass" because it is hard to do well and there are many other ways to control a card that achieve the same result, most of which he demonstrates. I have to admit that I learned and practiced the classic pass years ago but have found that Daryll's point about many other ways to achieve the same result is true and I rarely use it now..One that I like is a Charlier cut with a break and a double or triple table cut a double under cut, or a couple of swing cuts. If you do it smoothly it can be quite deceptive and it is easier to learn than the classic pass.