(Close Window)
Topic: Wood thickness for B**e
What thickness wood is recommended for a deceptive b**e?

I started building a crystal casket in '09 and want to finish it this year. The table part of it is 2x4 as a frame with 1/4 wood on top. What wood would be recommended to support an assistant?
Paul Osborne recommends using 1/2" plywood glued and screwed in place. The size of the b**e and the assistant might require some adjustment however.
Thanks!
I think some people use aluminum for the lower part because it's thin and it gives.

Jim
I've seen others recommend fiberglass, but you also need to construct a form if you're going that route.
Do not use wood. Go with an aluminum sheet as suggested. Upholster the inside with black vinyl to seal it.

Its thin and strong with a little give. It also greatly reduces the overall weight of the prop. You'll want that.
If he goes with aluminum, what thickness aluminum would you recommend? .09? .125?
It depends on two factors... weight and span.
Back in the day... I bought old street signs from the city of san diego... they were overkill as far as strength.. but they were CHEAP! I made a GREAT vampire illusion out of one... and a Palanquin.. ***ized from both the osborne plans and the rand woodbury palanquin 2000

You'd be surprised how big some of them are when you see them up close... and I had them cut at a sheet metal shop for $15 per cut.

It was a great deal at the time.. and it would surprise me if you couldn't track down a deal like that again.
I LOVE the street sign idea... ingenuity at it's best!!
Aluminum or fiberglass would be a great alternative to wood and would both be sturdy and lighter. Also would not need to be as thick which would allow it to be slightly smaller.