(Close Window)
Topic: X-Way Pad by Reg Blackwwod
[b]X-Way Pad[/b] by Reg Blackwood

Hi all

I was sent a copy of x-way pad yesterday evening and have had the opportunity to sit down and make up this clever little concept.

Firstly I remember years ago I performed an effect using a pad that was a bit knacky and took some getting use to before I could go out and perform with it.

This on the other hand is excellent, the construction takes a couple of minutes but it well worth the effort.

The x-way pad is a great utility pad enabling you to correctly predict outcomes with cards or pretty much any presentation which requires you the performer to make a prediction.

If you want a pad that is fool proof and perform effects or routines using pads to create predictions, thought of words or drawing duplications this is it.

I have some crazy ideas spinning around my mind that I'm going to put to use with this little gem.

Great work Reg

All the best

R
Thanks Rus,
Glad you like it! I look forward to seeing what ideas you come up with.
Since I first came up with the idea for it, I'm never without an X-Way Pad (or two) when performing and I'm already hearing about some great routines from other people, so there's bound to be an update at some stage to include some more of mine and others' ideas.

Reg
First I have to say how impressed iam at the art work and photography of the site and products, I have visted the site a few times and is always great to look at, a little bit dark and creepy in places but great work!

And of the effect it says 'The X-Way Pad allows you to predict 1 of up to 12 outcomes, potentially more.'
So showing the spectator some designs/pictures or lists of words/names what ever, then being able to predict that choice with the note pad, is that the effect? Is the prediction in the note pad or is that somewhere else? Is this suitable for close up, or would stage/parlor be better?
Just a couple of questions, I wouldnt wanna give anything away, just an example of a routine maybe from the audience perspective.

Thanks

Dean
Just purchased this and I really like it. This is going to be used in my stage show, I already have a few routine ideas that will work perfectly with this. Very happy with my purchase!
Thanks Stephen!
You can thank J. Prager for persuading me to bring it to market after I showed him a pic of one of my own pads.
I understand Mental Shocks also employed the help of some pretty notable researchers to confirm its originality.
Once again, if you want to share how you use it and how it goes, please PM me to let me know.

Reg
Just bought it too, clever idea :)
Together with some p**-s*** work one can achieve great results. The instructions are clear enough with a detailed step-by-step of how to proceed in order to build X-way.
It's a great bang for the buck and a solid idea, recommended.

David
If you are interested in a way to predict thoughts (Zodiac signs, Months) having nothing more than an apparent normal pad and any pen, you will enjoy this.
Thanks!
David - Yes, the p**-s*** like that I describe in the PDF, while not essential, definitely helps with the confabulation.
Amira - By making it exactly as described, it's ideal for zodiac signs and months of the year, that's true!
This has my mind full of ideas.
It is good and the price is fear.
This sounds interesting but is the pad just limited to containing prediction(s) or can it be used for other purposes during a performance ie the spectator writing on a sheet of paper?
Thanks for all the positive comments.

NeilS, I'm not sure I understand your question.
It depends how you have guided what they draw or whether they draw one of a number of options they have been presented with.
Rus mentioned the possibility of Drawing Dupes and you can certainly have a LOT of possibilities covered with X-Way Pad.

It really is extremely flexible.

I use it for Sw**i Op***r type effects (but without needing a Sw**i) various MO effects and also a reverse mind reading, where the spectator "divines" what I wrote.

One over-enthusiastic person who shall not be named sent me a four word review: "Death of the Sw**i!" I told them that's probably going a bit too far.
But maybe it's a superficial wound. ;)

I'm not being deliberately vague and mysterious. Like a lot of the Mental Shocks stuff, it's a very simple idea which could be summed up in just a few exposing words and I do mention some of the obvious influencing principles in the text.

At the end of the day, it's 10 bucks for an original, flexible and field-tested idea which isn't available elsewhere.
Best part is, even though it seems a lot of people will be using it, used well, I don't believe it will be all that obvious they're using it.
Like Mind_Magic said, I think that's a fair price.

Reg
Where do I buy this again?
[quote]
On 2011-06-14 18:52, Thomas Cooper wrote:
[/quote]

http://mentalshocks.com/portfolio/x-way-pad-by-reg-blackwood
Having had some time to play with the idea and make more pads up I think this is ideal for Sw**i Op***r effects. I tend to use those a lot and now I have a great way of doing them.
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Jun 21, 2011 05:20PM)
This also got a glowing review from Paul Brook. I bought it on the back of this & I'm not dissapointed.
Thank you for your support!
Yeah, I was pretty happy about Paul's review in his newsletter and he's right:
There's no reason it wouldn't work on a much larger scale, if you catch my drift.
I bought this a few days ago and have been playing around with it. I like the concept very much and while performers at all levels will find it to be a very useful utility device, experienced mentalists will discover that there is a lot more that can be done with this than meets the eye. And the price is more than reasonable.

I recommend this, particularly to those with a creative bent who like to create their own routines.

Good thoughts,

Bob Cassidy
I was curious enough to pick it up.

Simple...brilliant...infinitely adaptable. I think every performer of every level is going to find something utterly wonderful here!

David
Thank you!
I am humbled by the response to my simple little pad.
And as Bob and others have discovered, the fun really starts when you've made it up and start to play.

Reg
Reg,

As you know I had one the first ones you made, I never leave home with out it and its bloody brilliant, whats next???? come on mate you can tell me on here and I promise not to share LOL
You're lucky you're in New Zealand Sean. Everybody else has to make their own ;)
Reg
Reg gave this to me as a gift...

At first I was put off by what seemed to be a crazy way to construct this X-Way Pad. I kept reading and saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

All I can say is, I am finally going to get to perform a close up version of Technicolor Prediction!!!!

I LOVE this idea and I have always been turned off with the alternative to this idea. Thank You Reg for the gift and I cant wait to get more ideas from his wonderful tool.

Thanks again

Aaron
You're welcome Aaron,
Thank you for the feedback.
When I saw the X-Way Pad as a possible solution to a problem on a thread you started, I didn't want you to think my response was just an ad, so I sent you a free copy of the PDF.
So glad you found other possible uses too. Nice idea!
Keep them coming.

Reg
Reg,

It is a GREAT solution to the problem in the other thread!

No question.

Aaron
So many great reviews, I'm really interesting in buying it. This sounds like a great prop, being absolutely normal and natural to the spectators. Nice.
A wonderful and simple tool! The uses seem almost limitless.

Rich
I bought this out of curiosity after reading some good reviews. After reading through the PDF and making a pad up, it immediately replaced P***** W****** for predicting which chess piece a participant would name, and in which colour in a routine which I was already happy with and thought needed no tweaking. I can't give a better recommendation than that really. For the low price tag this is a no brainer!
I have to be honest and I feel a little disappointed with this, to start with for me it has nothing on a Sw*** opener, with a Sw*** , you can turn your business card straight round with the thought of number or what ever you choice to be revealed on it. This for me you cant, I don't want to give anything away , but I cant see participants not figuring this one out , well at least in part.

Dean
Thanks for all the feedback.

Deano88, thank you for your honesty and sorry you were disappointed.
OK. In performance of convincing Sw*** opener type effects, you might need to tweak the presentation ever so slightly (I'll PM you the details) but you also have the speed of the reveal versus the perceived number of options and not forgetting the additional logical disconnect of the suggested p** s***.

Reg
I pretty much agree with Dean...
There are methods that achieve the same thing, whilst being more direct and deceptive.

I can see this working in combination with a force, though...
Runeflax,
The positive reviews here are all from people who have made one up and played.
So make one up and play.
Any old $2 hand-sized notepad, scissors, ruler, pencil and 5 minutes (less time and no pencil or ruler if you do a rough one just to play with.)
I think you'll like how easily it handles and how natural it feels.

Reg
Reg,

why do you assume that I didn't make one up?
[quote]
On 2011-06-22 16:45, runeflax wrote:
Reg,

why do you assume that I didn't make one up?
[/quote]

I did, didn't I.
Sorry :(

Did you? ;)

Reg
I did. :)

I can only repeat what I already said:

I don't find it to be deceptive enough to be used as the ONLY method of a routine.
However, this will probably work well, if it is used in combination with a force or other "layers of deception".

Please reread my post... I never said it was bad ;-)

Florian
[quote]
On 2011-06-14 18:52, Thomas Cooper wrote:
[/quote]

Why do you need two?
[quote]
On 2011-06-22 17:04, runeflax wrote:
I did. :)

I can only repeat what I already said:

I don't find it to be deceptive enough to be used as the ONLY method of a routine.
However, this will probably work well, if it is used in combination with a force or other "layers of deception".

Please reread my post... I never said it was bad ;-)

Florian
[/quote]

Runeflax I just wanted to say that in the first thread page, most comments already refer to use X-pad together with other stuff, either types of routines or techniques.

I wanted to tell you that if you're a bit disappointed with your buy, just leave it for some time and in a month or two get back to it and you'll see that there's at least one routine where it'll fit like a glove :)
I've made some less good purchases in the past and almost all of them turned out to work great for certain type routines. Just let it drain to the back of your mind so you can think about some great uses for it.

David
UPDATE:
Thanks to feedback from people here and elsewhere, I'm working on an update to the original manuscript which should be ready in the next few days.

An additional several pages include an alternative "open cover" handling, some extra killer logical disconnects and several suggestions for things which can be predicted.

All thanks to some brilliant thinking and all-important field reports, this update makes what was already "a very useful utility device" for me, even better for us all.

Those who have already purchased will receive the update free of charge and I'll announce the update here on the forum.

Thanks to all who have contributed suggestions, either directly or indirectly.

Reg Blackwood
X-Way Pad is now available in its second edition at the new MindShocks site:
http://mindshocks.com/products/x-way-pad

An extra four pages include:

Additional handling tips and construction notes
Some additional logical disconnects
And performance notes on how to use the pad for the following predictions and effects:
Signs of the zodiac, months of the year, chess pieces, ESP symbols, technicolor prediction, drawing duplications and more

The price remains the same and the update has been sent out to all previous purchasers.

Thank you to everyone who contributed!

Reg
Just received the update. Thanx- looks great. This has some very good potential.
Even though I have read only half of the ebook up to this moment, I easily urge everyone who has any interest for mentalism to buy it! It's an excellent and very practical idea for the working performer, one that every mentalist would be glad to have in his arsenal. It's one of my best purchasings ever!! You will no regret for buying it, be sure. Also, many thanks Reg for the excellent update! By the way, Reg has another original and ingenious idea, in his BACKTRACK ebook. Check it out. It's worth the trouble.
Yes. Some VERY good ideas in this update. If anyone has any question regarding the "Technicolor Prediction the X-Way"...just ask me.

Thank you Reg for including my thoughts on this effect. Your X-Way Pad is a real worker.

Aaron
Thanks all.
I received so many good ideas about this, I could have turned it into a much larger Ebook.
Some of them (including Aaron E's close-up version of Technicolor Prediction) could possibly be worthy of independent release.
However, I wanted to keep this as an update to the original manuscript and the price the same, so condensed each submission down to just a few lines.
Bought it..think it's terrific and will definitely be using this....for the price of a couple of cups of coffee...this was a tenner really well spent...thanks Reg...great job mate!!
Thanks Stevie,
Glad you like it. I'll buy you a coffee or two next time I'm in Perth.
Reg
Thanks Reg for the kind words on "Technicolor Prediction the X-Way". I am glad you found it worthy to be included with your X-Way Pad!

Aaron
The coffee or shandies will be on me, if you ever get over to the west Reg...as I've already mentioned for ten bucks ,i think your pad is a beaut idea..like it a lot
Great update, Thanks!
Thanks for all the comments on X-Way Pad.
My "BackTrack!" principle has been mentioned a couple of times here and I have a brand new manuscript which uses the principle coming out really soon on the MindShocks site.
It's a "spectator as mindreader" plot which requires no p**-sh** and has no DR elements.
I just need to work out logistically how it gets released as an update to those who already purchased the principle on Lybrary.
When you buy it from MindShocks there will be no requirement to have already bought the original manuscript.
So watch this space!

Reg Blackwood
I shall look forward to the update. I have already started thinking about BackTrack and creating a routine.
I look forward to hearing your ideas Stephen.

[quote]
On 2011-06-29 03:53, S.WARD wrote:
I shall look forward to the update. I have already started thinking about BackTrack and creating a routine.
[/quote]
This pad is brilliant. I love it.

Drawing duplications, zodiac signs, months, cards, spectator reading your mind, you reading spectator's mind, predictions, thought of animals... I'm trying to think of something that this pad [b]can't[/b] do.

It's a piece of cake to make with stuff you probably already have (scissors and a notepad anyone?), and the idea itself fits together so well, it's all justified and makes sense.

5/5 stars.
I agree with Bob Cassidy. Out of curiosity, I bought this, too. This is a very good tool. What's nice is that you can make it yourself and, with experience, it can probably take you half an hour or less to make a custom one. Also, experienced mentalists will realize that the basic routine (the one Dean criticized) is actually the least effective of the possibilities that one can do with this. It's another one of those "limited by your imagination" ideas.

And, to NeilS, as I don't think his question was answered, yes, you can do effects where the participant can write in the notebook, but the notebook cannot be freely examined or given away as a souvenir.

- Jheff
Thanks DekEl and Jheff for the support,
I answered the question posed by NeilS in a PM, but thank you for the clarification here for all to see.
Thanks again!
Reg
I really like the updates thank you very much for it! Great job! :)

Martin
X-Way Pad is now also available at Lybrary:
http://www.lybrary.com/reg-blackwood-m-59245.html
"The X-Way Pad allows you to predict 1 of up to 12 outcomes, potentially more."

Can this extend to as many as 18? I have a particular effect in mind.

Mike
Definitely, using one of the ideas you could make it go up to 24. In fact if you combined it with Broken Wings by Dee Christopher it would be even stronger.
Yes. It really depends on the presentation Mike.
Mostly I have mine made up as 10-way (or 20) or 12-way (or 24)
Feel free to PM me more details of the specific effect.
I will answer later as it's approaching bed time here in NZ.
Cheers!
Reg
Thanks Reg (I have sent a PM) and DekEl

Mike
Decided to get hold of the The X-Way pad and I am not disappointed. It's a great little utility prop with almost limitless uses. A real stimulus to creative thinking. The instructions for making up the pad are excellent and the handling tips are particularly helpful.

In addition to its main stated purpose - i.e., prediction effects, it occurs to me that it would be ideal for use as a c*** in any complex memory routine.

Nice one Reg!

Mike
Thanks Mike,
Glad you like it and have found yet another idea for using it.
Reg

[quote]
On 2011-08-05 15:56, Michael Daniels wrote:
Decided to get hold of the The X-Way pad and I am not disappointed. It's a great little utility prop with almost limitless uses. A real stimulus to creative thinking. The instructions for making up the pad are excellent and the handling tips are particularly helpful.

In addition to its main stated purpose - i.e., prediction effects, it occurs to me that it would be ideal for use as a c*** in any complex memory routine.

Nice one Reg!

Mike
[/quote]