(Close Window)
Topic: The Way To A Woman's Heart...
Hi, Guys...

I've been incorporating more and more mentalism into my close-up. For the past couple of months, I've been using an effect that's been working really well. It uses ParaLabs Picture Cards, a pendulum and a sneaky-but-spiffy method. (You could use tarot cards...or even (shudder shudder) playing cards.)

The effect is called The Way To A Woman's Heart. It's a prediction designed to broaden the scope of human knowledge and to answer the question "What will work to get a woman's attention?" OK. It's mentalism/prediction/revelation comedy starring a member of the audience and your pendulum.

I'm interested to know what you think of it...so I'll happily send you my richly illustrated and profusely explained PDF on the conditions that:

1) You let me know what you think (but please keep in mind that I am sensitive and cry very easily)
2) IF you know anyone who created the "sneaky-but-spiffy" method before I thought it up you'll let me know so I can give credit where credit is due...
3) That you keep the material for your own use and don't pass the PDF around

If you'd like to know "The Way To A Woman's Heart" just PM me with your email address.

Don't say I never gave you nothin'.

David
David was kind enough to share this with me, so here are my thoughts:

This is a great little piece of theater. The premise and presentation are well thought out and no doubt it plays well.

The method is sneaky and fairly bold, but is well integrated into the presentation. As David says, it is likely that someone has thought of this before, but I haven't seen it. The Paralabs cards are perfect for this, but it could also be applied easily to index or business cards and done impromptu. A nice technique for the toolbelt.

As the more experienced performer will understand, the best part of this is the presentation, so even if you were afraid of this method, you could easily use another and it would be a just as valuable read.

To boot, David has put together a nice looking and fun to read PDF.

Although I won't perform it as written, as it doesn't quite match my character, it is definitely food for thought and has got me thinking.

Thanks David,
Matt
I have to agree with the review of Last Laugh !
David , was so kind to share with me also!
After, seeing David's post's on the Café,it was like being explained to you ,as a friend would explain on how to do !
Very enjoyable read!

Thanks David,and "Rock On Dude"!
Gary
I just finished reading this most enjoyable PDF. David has a very novel presentation that will appear to a lot of people.
The method isn't new and well-informed card men will probably be familiar with it, but that isn't important. What is important is the commercial approach that David has taken to create an effect that will please most any woman who views it. Well worth the time to read, and you may learn a new method you are not familiar with.

Devin Knight
The effect is pretty good,the method is not new but the presentation is brilliant!
I love the idea. Thanks David Thiel for sharing your great idea.
David kindly sent this to me to look at.

Here is an extremely short first impression.

In a sentence I would say " an effect that has great appeal, easy to accomplish, and builds a bond with the audience. And it all fits in your pocket."

OK two sentences.

Steve
Great stuff man. I love the premise... and your writing style. Your one funny dude.

Thank you so much David. Very kind of you to share.

Good luck with your August launch of http://www.MagicPendulums.com. Im sure it will be a huge success.
David nice routine the premise is great and like the manuscript says can play in a variety of ways, the pendulum is the icing and really makes it personal.
Thanks David for letting me take a look at this, the presentation is fantastic it will appeal to many and something that iam thinking about using for a parlour/open mic type set. The method is simple and clever, I have used a similiar move when I did cash cabaret with the stealth assassin wallet, so its not a new move as such. Iam not one to use a pendulum, but may consider doing so, or come up with an alternative.

Iam thinking as I type here and the idea of saying " well this is what I would do if I wanted to attract you I would...." then reveal the thought of card

I love the item and presentation of this and well done for the time and effort that has been put into creating such an emotional effect, I have many ideas coming to me know..

Using more than one women , could ask the first women to write a chat up line that has worked for her in the past, then get one or two to other women to choose one of the cards each, reveal the cards in any way , then finish with revealing the chat up line from the first women , just an idea

Thanks Again

Dean
Very nice, very simple method to gather information. I like the setting too. Just a thought David, if you end up having to hold the pendulum them have her hold your other hand to get the vibrations. This has great scope to build interest and rapport, especially if she is particularly atractive. :)

Thanks for sharing this.

Derek
[quote]
On 2011-06-20 16:45, kinesis wrote:
a thought David, if you end up having to hold the pendulum them have her hold your other hand to get the vibrations.
[/quote]

Nice idea Derek. It's often those little differences that make the big differences.

Bob
David,

First of all, thanks for sending me the pdf.

Secondly, I really like the way you write - the subtle humor, the footnotes, etc. I also like the fact that you DID NOT put in your own script. Everyone should make their own based on their own personality.

Now on to the routine!

Upon reading the method, at first, I thought that it would be too obvious to the spec.
But later, when I actually used the cards, I saw the light & realized that this would most likely fly by the specs. Plus, I believe you when you stated that you've done this effect well over a hundred times!

The icing on the cake is letting her (the spec) find the chosen card with the "mysterious pendulum".

I think you have a winner! (that's "winner", not "Weiner")

Thanks again & keep up the good work,
Mark
Thanks for sharing this David. Simple method and a great presentation. Your writing style makes it fun to read as well. After seeing this sample of your work, I'm looking forward to your upcoming website. I've sent you a pm.
You guys are the best. Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate them more than you know. It's just a little nerve-wracking posting an effect for your peers to...ummm...peer at.

As to the credit: several of the PMs suggest they read a similar treatment by T A Waters in an effect called Handbook using ESP cards. Another person thought it may have originated with Marlo, but he couldn't recall the exact reference. Either way, I am in very good company!

I'm looking forward to seeing some responses here or in my PM. Please keep them coming.

Again: thank you all for the encouragement. I hope you enjoy the effect, cause I do.

David
An excellent effect. Very nice presentational angle. Last Laugh's idea of using business cards is a great one because you can engage the spectator and/or the audience in coming up with the things that every woman wants. It can be as sleazy or as funny or as austere as the situation dictates.

What I like most about this effect is that it serves as a vehicle for the imagination. Even someone completely lacking in original thinking (like myself) can use this as a springboard to come up with a presentation that is unique to our individual performing styles.

Well done, David, and thank you for sharing.
The mnemonic for the fourth card is “De Cocoanut Tree”. You have to sing that Harry Nilsson song to yourself, “You put de lime in de cocoanut and drink ‘em boat togedder”. (See? Now you can’t get it out of your head! Bwahaha!)

Your “peek” is brilliant! I’m giggling like Eshla right now. (Well, maybe not quite...)

Yes, I know without even testing it that I can fly this past almost anyone. In fact, thinking back, I believe it’s flown past me at least once!

This is a really fun read. Your humor is genuine and contagious, and can see your audiences having a great time watching you flirt openly with a gorgeous stranger. Good stuff!

And I look forward to seeing your sight open in August. Best of Luck! My “pendulum” right now is a gold pocket watch on a chain, but I’ll be glad to win the Pirate Gold during the test as well! ;) (Using Gold is part of my “back-story”.)

Good Stuff, David. Thank you for sharing!
This is a practical effect that I really like. I think it could make for a very fun and engaging presentation. It has an interesting premise that I haven't seen explored before in mentalism, and the method is both interesting and new to me. Nice job, David!
WOW David! What can I say that hasn't already been said? First off - Thank you for sharing this well thought out and VERY commercial routine with me and others here. This has applications well beyond your great routine (just replace the paralab cards with five cards of anything else ie. cards with product names for tradeshow work). Secondly my thought on the 4th mnemonic is "Destination" because that is what a trip is in reality.

I look forward to your online shop opening. I also look forward to more routines from you in the future. I will use this effect in one variation or another in up coming shows. Thank you!
Your Friend in Magick,
Doug
Thanks David
I like it a lot.
I am going to use it !!!

Lior
Thanks, David!

David was kind enough to send me a copy of his effect, and while the method is not new, the presentation is wonderful. The combination of mystery and personal appeal takes the effect into the class that will be remembered. David also mentions in the manuscript that he is launching a site dedicated to pendulums! I for one am a big fan of pendulum work, and can not wait to see what amazing items he has to make money vanish from my pocket. I suspect that his offerings,both of effects and tools, is going to be of use to many of us.

Stan
Just read through the preview PDF....

Very nice and well written with bits of David's humorous personality mixed in.

The volunteer finds their own prediction with a pendulum. The routine will play great as presented. I will be playing with this.

Also, the close up pictures are all very sharp and well done.

Thanks for the preview and good luck!
Bob
David, thanks for sharing this with us--I can tell that the presentation you outlined suits your sense of humor, and I'm sure it's a knock-out.

I agree with Last Laugh and Steven that using blank cards and allowing the spectator to create the images would be fun. Maybe ask her to draw (or write) 4 cheesy pick-up lines and one that genuinely touches her. It becomes more personal to her, and you can have a bit of fun with the process of drawing them.

I'm sure this isn't a problem when you perform it, but I'd warn others who might try this presentation not to overdo the "a person like YOU would never talk to a person like ME" bits. I know many women who feel guilty or insecure about the way they acted when they were younger, and it might put her off a bit.

Anyway, a very nice unique effect--thanks again for sharing!
David,
thank you for this gift. the method is wonderfully simple and clean. a nice practical experience that can be played several times for the same group.
thanks again
bob
Thanks again. I appreciate the posts as well as the PMs. You guys rock!

David
I'm going to enjoy performing this.
How do I know?-- I'm thinking of about ten ways I'd do it differently.

That's a great sign of a rich premise!

Thanks David

Dave
Well, there's not much to add, is there ?

I have always been put off by the use of pendulums. It's an object that made me feel silly, a bit like the weird professor in the "tintin" comics I adored as a child.
But David has created a light and fun routine, something I might actually use.
And what's more, David's writing style is entertaining... Something that is lacking in many "magic books".
This is one of those effects that are simple and beautiful.
Congratulations, David !
With kudos from so many folks – including "names" like Devin Knight and Lior Manor – my humble opinion won't add much. But I do know David, and I know how smart and witty he is, so I wasn't surprised at how good The Way To A Woman's Heart is. And I'll go on record as predicting (with no outs) that his pendulum site and pendulum e-book will contain stellar stuff (and even more uses of the word "spiffy" – which seems to be his trademark expression)

Spiffy work, Mr. Thiel.
David, first off thank you for sharing this with me, and everyone else for that matter. The manuscript is well written and an absolute joy to read. The routine it contains is great as well, I see it working its way into regular performance for me. Could even be great for those "show me something" situations. A few blank business cards, borrow her long necklace with a pendant and you are set. What better way to find what is in her heart, then with something that is always close to it to start?

David J
I thought the fourth mnemonic was obviously [b]D[/b]esert Island. :)

Derek
Girls and what they like - what a great premise! :)
I read through the effect and at first I thought I must have missed something - the selection procedure seems sooo bold (especially since the cards are lying openly on the table before grabbing them up!) I couldn't imagine one can pull it through....but it seems to work and fly by most spectators!?

Personally, I guess I would add some lighthearted shuffling without big emphasis before offering the cards - but that's certainly a personal choice.

The whole story and patter sounds great and I like the meanings to the picture cards!
As a side note, the PLF cards are so clean and modern looking, I would absolutely suggest to use a sort of pendulum that captures the "look" of the cards as well, maybe a necklace-like pendulum e.g. that subliminally resembles a jewelery and thereby fitting the theme.

Anyway, a great take on the PLF picture cards that is at the same time very original and touching!

Thanks for sharing!
Felix
Just as an aside you could change gift to chocolates and trip to diamonds (women love those things and the mnemonic would fit perfectly). Just a thought.
I'm coming in on this late due to technical difficulties with my email but it was well worth the wait.

The effect is elegantly simple and wisely puts presentation before method. David provides all the specifics on how to perform this while also allowing enough room for each performer to tailor it to their own style.

The eBook is well written and well laid out- A nice change of pace from a lot of eBooks that look like they were typed and put up for sale in one sitting. David's writing style is entertaining. He has a great sense of humor and shows that there's no reason a manuscript can't be as entertaining as an effect.

I'd say more but the other posters on this thread beat me to it.

Thanks David! Well done!

PS "D" for "Destination" :P
LOVE IT!
It's is always nice to read a routine by someone who 'gets it".

Thank you for sharing this David.
David, Well done! I'm sending my thoughts telepathically. But, just in case, I'll PM you.

Jorey
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jun 23, 2011 06:34AM)
I think that this is a wonderful routine in its simplicity and impact that it can have.

I love using a pendulum and now I have another reason to do so!

Best
Ray
David,

You understand, better than most, what mentalism is about. The premise is very good. The method for obtaining the information is trivial but that, as you know, doesn't matter in actual performance.

However, and maybe it's me, I just don't get what you're talking about when you use the term "reveal."The audience knows the chosen picture as does the woman who chose it. Presumably, only the performer and the washroom attendant don't know it. So, just what is being revealed by the movement of the pendulum.

I, too, like pendulums a lot. I like coherent premises even more.

I think it's worth working on and I will.

With all due respect,

Sid
Hey David,

Sorry for my late feedback, but I must say I like The Way To a Woman's Heart very much!

Taking the method aside (which is so simple, and yet so good), it is possible to create a strong personal experience for the participant. I love the pendulum idea and think it adds a lot in the effect!

Well, I worked with it and tested a bit, so I'll PM you with some ideas.

Oh, and it was a delightful reading!
Thanks for that, Mr Thiel.

Cheers,
Ale
David, thanks for sending this to me.

I wholeheartedly agree with the positive comments already made. I too like the premise and the use of a pendulum gives the effect a mystical aura.

Hat off to work well done.

Peculiarone.
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Jul 9, 2011 11:32AM)
David ditto to all the above. :)

Looking forward to http://www.magicpendulums.com .
The way to a womans heart is through the vana cavia.
[quote]
On 2011-07-09 12:32, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
David ditto to all the above. :)

Looking forward to http://www.magicpendulums.com .
[/quote]

Looking foward to it as well... Looks like there will be some great stuff there!
David has come up with a very nice and effective routine. I have been playing with it since he sent it to me and am very impressed with what he has done.

I recommend this without hesitation.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Thank you to everyone who had such nice things to say about "What A Woman Wants." I really appreciate it.

Thank you also to everyone who has come by http://www.magicpendulums.com over the past two days looking to win the treasure hunt and the "Pirate's Gold Pendulum" I offered on the last page of my "What A Woman Wants" routine. You guys rock!

A few you (okay SEVEN...but who's counting?) have also come by to look over the site and probably said to yourselves "HUH? This is a single page...where's the site? WHATEVER shall I DO? Are my dreams of finally -- at long last, acquiring a limited edition pendulum of glittering crystal and fine pewter CRUMBLING before me?" -- or variants thereof. (I'm pretty sure.)

Ahem.

We've got one page there to explain why you aren't seeing the planned ten pages, bristling with new pendulums and information about "the-top-secret-really-big-project-that-will-blow-you-away-when-you-find-out-who-contributed-routines-and-information-to-it."

We've had to delay putting the site up until September 1st. **sigh**

Let me be honest: we were just MOSTLY ready by yesterday. Assembling pendulums, lining up suppliers, my own performing schedule and working on the aforementioned "top-secret-really-big-project" took WAY more time than I expected. Watching over my shoulder as the deadline crept up was really stressing me out.

Our designer (all pendulums are designed and hand-made by one "award winning jewellery type" person)is also a novelist. She ran into delays with the release of her second book. You get the picture, right? The timing just wasn't working out.

We would have released a site that was just "mostly ready." I'd rather give you something that is perfect...because you'll probably buy more stuff then. :)

In the meanwhile, please feel free to pop by and add your names to our email list. We'll bribe you with discounts and send you one or two potentially life altering updates about the "top secret" project and the site. By way of cleverly getting you to do so, we're offering a SECOND Pirate's Gold pendulum, much like the one below that will be awarded to a random "email-list-joiner-upper."

The winner will be announced on September 1st.

Among other things: we will be advertising here on the Café because this place rocks...and out of respect for the policies here, will NOT be hijacking this thread to publicize the website...because moderators, clowns and those big furry mascot things really scare me.

Updates will be put on our website...but I'll happily answer questions here or in PM. Just don't ask me about the "Top Secret" project... :)...unless you're up for a little teasing. Cause this thing...seriously...rocks.

David
David, I hope you don't mind me teasing them a little about the top secret project. I'm pretty excited about it. I got a sneak peek at the contents a couple days ago when they were temporarily up on your site. Don't worry, out of respect for you I won't reveal anything.

I'm pretty new to pendulum work and this looks like it will be a great resource. This ebook looks to be really awesome, full of great routines and tips. As far as the contributors, you guys will just have to wait and see...and you may even be surprised. I have a feeling http://www.magicpendulums.com is going to be quite a success.

George
Nah. I don't mind, George.

Thank you for your kind words. I agree with you! :)

David
David,...You Rock ! :)

-G
Thanks, Gary! We rock and the pendulums sway, huh?

Lately I've been dreaming in pendulums. Life is a little strange at the moment. Not bad...just strange.

David