(Close Window)
Topic: Torn and restored newspaper?
Message: Posted by: Mattia (Jul 1, 2011 10:22AM)
Dear Friends,
There are many versions of torn and restored newspaper. What's the one do You prefair? I like very much Axel Hecklau's and Alex Elmsley's. What about You?
Message: Posted by: dpe666 (Jul 1, 2011 10:57AM)
I like Joel Bauer's version because it is easy to set up and resets in 3 seconds. :devilish:
Message: Posted by: nonvpro (Jul 1, 2011 11:11AM)
Axel Hecklau's version. Recently purchased version 2.0. Excellent teacher, DVD and gimmicks.
Message: Posted by: Pete Biro (Jul 1, 2011 11:34AM)
Andrew Mayne's. Borrowed and signed if you wish. No set up. Fooled me badly when I saw him do it.
Message: Posted by: Domino Magic (Jul 1, 2011 11:34AM)
Go to:

[url]http://searchthemagiccafe.com[/url]

And search for newspaper tears and you will see a ton of threads on this subject.
Message: Posted by: Mary Mowder (Jul 1, 2011 12:44PM)
I really like Alex Elmsley's slow restore-al but before I got conversant in that I got Axel's first NewsFlash.

Now I'm doing Axel's 2.0 which is easier to set up and is going over GREAT! There is an audible intake of breath at the revelation.

I just saw Andrew Mayne's T&R last night. I can't say it fooled me but I wasn't watching as a lay person might. It has many advantages, impromptu, signed and returned. I may practice it just to have one in my "hip pocket" so to speak.

I don't enjoy news print on my fingers.

-Mary Mowder
Message: Posted by: Dr_J_Ayala (Jul 1, 2011 01:10PM)
The Gene Anderson Newspaper Tear is my all-time favorite, and I also like NewsFlash 2.0 from Axel Hecklau, as mention above.

Like Mary Mowder, I saw the Mayne version and it did not fool me either, but I also stopped getting anything from Mayne because some years back, I bought three different effects from him, not all at once, and I was terribly disappointed. After that, I swore off Mayne products, no matter how good they look, or how good they might actually be. That is just my opinion.
Message: Posted by: Domino Magic (Jul 1, 2011 01:19PM)
Here's the thing about Mayne's newspaper tear. It's not all his. It's a minor variation of a Jim Steinmeyer routine in his book Conjuring Anthology:

[url]http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/product.php?productid=17523&cat=249&page=1[/url]
Message: Posted by: Dr_J_Ayala (Jul 1, 2011 02:04PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-01 14:19, Domino Magic wrote:
Here's the thing about Mayne's newspaper tear. It's not all his. It's a minor variation of a Jim Steinmeyer routine in his book Conjuring Anthology:

[url]http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/product.php?productid=17523&cat=249&page=1[/url]
[/quote]

That I did know because back when I used to perform illusion shows, I used the Steinmeyer version from time to time.

I hate to bash Mayne or to sound like I am, but that is part of my issue with him. His ideas and effects are absolutely wonderful and inspirational, but the handling, the quality and the workability of the vast majority of them, at least for me, are very poor and in some cases, useless.

Again, my intent is not to discredit him as a performer, or his ideas. I just think he could do a better job with what he puts out.
Message: Posted by: Ony Carcamo (Jul 1, 2011 09:44PM)
I've tried nearly every versions out there, and right now I love to use Paula Paul's newspaper tear. One-hand flash restoration, and I can set it up in about 5 seconds! Paula said it's inspired by Pat Page's version.
Message: Posted by: Mattia (Jul 2, 2011 02:53AM)
How about Axel Heclau's newsflash 2.0? I only tried the first one and it was great, but it took to me 10 minutes to reset. How much does the 2.0 take?
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 2, 2011 04:50AM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-02 03:53, mattia wrote:
How about Axel Heclau's newsflash 2.0? I only tried the first one and it was great, but it took to me 10 minutes to reset. How much does the 2.0 take?
[/quote]

Read what Axel has to say about it here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=421597&forum=95
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 2, 2011 10:44PM)
I just bought Gene Anderson's DVD from a fellow Café member. It has the Newspaper Tear on it. I am looking forward to seeing it and giving it a try.
Message: Posted by: Mattia (Jul 3, 2011 01:07PM)
Thank You for your advices!I'll try some of these and I'll let You know.

Best regards,
Mattia
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 3, 2011 09:46PM)
Yes...be sure to report back which one(s) you liked best.
Message: Posted by: bwarren3 (Jul 3, 2011 10:31PM)
I used Gene Anderson's for years but now I'm using the Ultimate Newspaper tear because it has an instant re-set and a No Fail working. Very Nice. Very Simple.
Bill
Message: Posted by: todsky (Jul 4, 2011 08:21AM)
Anyone doing the Slydini newspaper tear?
Message: Posted by: Dr_J_Ayala (Jul 4, 2011 10:29PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-04 09:21, todsky wrote:
Anyone doing the Slydini newspaper tear?
[/quote]

A loooooooong time ago in my parlor shows. It was my other favorite next to the Anderson Newspaper Tear!
Message: Posted by: Mattia (Jul 5, 2011 07:06AM)
How is it possible to tear the newspaper in a "clear" and precise way? I tried folding it hundred of times, I tried ironing and also using glue,but the tear always go wherever it wants...
Message: Posted by: Domino Magic (Jul 5, 2011 07:44AM)
A couple of tips. The first is it just takes practice. When I was learning the Anderson Tear, I probably practiced it over 100 times before I ever performed it. You just learn that how the paper is going to tear and how to adjust the speed of the tear, position of your hands, etc.

Another tip is to use a serrated tracing wheel that's available at any fabric store. This will create little perforations in the paper making it a bit easier for you to tear it evenly.

I've been doing the Anderson Tear for 32 years and there are still some shows where the paper gets away from me and it's not a clean, straight tear. You just move on and keep tearing. Again it's all about experience.

It's been mentioned in the other paper tear threads, but it doesn't matter which tear you use. They are all great and one isn't better than the other. Your best bet is to try as many as you can and see what works for you and once you find it, then stick with it and know it inside and out so you don't even have to think about it.
Message: Posted by: Dr_J_Ayala (Jul 5, 2011 08:35AM)
Domino Magic was spot on. I will add just two things to what he said:

First, you do not need an absolutely perfect tear every time, just as long as it is not a completely errant and large rip. Even then, theoretically, it would still not matter, but it would take a certain amount of more-than-necessary fiddling to make it work. As Domino said, if it tears a little more/differently than you want it to, just move on and keep going.

Second, occasionally and just because I could, I used an edged (read: sharpened) letter opener on stage to tear the sheets during the routine, then I removed one small and single section of torn newspaper. After the restoration, everything was whole again except the missing piece of newspaper. That missing piece, and the letter opener used to tear the paper, were then used to do a Knife Through Coat effect with a borrowed coat. This combination of effects always worked very well for me, but I did not always to the Knife Through Coat.

Anyway, you can use a blade or create perforations as suggested by Domino - but you will still need to practice and try different versions to find the one that best suits your needs.

I hope this information is useful to you.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 5, 2011 09:16AM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-05 08:06, mattia wrote:
How is it possible to tear the newspaper in a "clear" and precise way? I tried folding it hundred of times, I tried ironing and also using glue,but the tear always go wherever it wants...
[/quote]

Go to a fabric store, purchase a dress makers wheel. Use this to score the newspaper.

You can actually learn to tear a paper kind of straight buy practice tearing and learning how to tear in opposite directions when things start going in another. It takes lots of practice.
Message: Posted by: jskalon (Jul 5, 2011 09:30AM)
Is there a demo of Paula's tear? Also, who carries it? I heard about the tear here on the Café awhile back, but this is the first mention of it since then.
Thanks
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 5, 2011 10:48AM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-05 10:30, jskalon wrote:
Is there a demo of Paula's tear? Also, who carries it? I heard about the tear here on the Café awhile back, but this is the first mention of it since then.
Thanks
[/quote]

If you searched you would find that Paula Paul aka Alexandra the Great is a stripper. Doing magic topless. I think if there was a demo you would have to pay to see it.

I think the guy is just 'pulling your leg', as he would not have paid any attention to the newspaper tear.
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 5, 2011 12:50PM)
Hegblini...LOL.

Maybe we could re-name that one the "Double Barrel" Paper Tear?
Message: Posted by: GlenD (Jul 5, 2011 04:17PM)
No mention of Baxt's Better Newspaper Tear (unless I missed it)... well now there is. It's the one I use and I can't really compare it to the others since I never performed any other version. It's not broke and has always gotten me rgeat reactions so I never attempted to "fix it" or learn other methods. Although I have seen different versions performed and some I have really really liked as well. The Baxt paper tear is basically a quicker/cleaner setup and reset than Gene Anderson version but about the same otherwise. Like any other version, practice until you got it down cold then kill 'em with it.

Glen
Message: Posted by: jimhlou (Jul 5, 2011 04:45PM)
Glen, I too do the Baxter Tear. I've been doing it for about two months. I really like it because there's no glueing and I can set one up in one or two minutes.

I did have an issue with the paper tearing in certain places during the restore, but this was solved with a couple of pieces of Scotch tape. It's an extra step, but still much simpler than Anderson's (which I also have).

Jim
Message: Posted by: Ony Carcamo (Jul 5, 2011 07:07PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-05 10:30, jskalon wrote:
Is there a demo of Paula's tear? Also, who carries it? I heard about the tear here on the Café awhile back, but this is the first mention of it since then.
Thanks
[/quote]


I got the instructions directly from Paula a looong time ago. I believe she's the only one selling it. I was searching the thread she started about her version here at the Café but I couldn't find it now...
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 5, 2011 07:26PM)
Here is Paula Paul's profile page:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=950

Ony Carcamo - here is your posts from 2010.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=388644&forum=8&10

There is no demo of this trick. She also does dove magic and large bird magic.

She has not been on the Café in a year.
Message: Posted by: jimhlou (Jul 5, 2011 08:43PM)
I think she officially retired.

Jim
Message: Posted by: jskalon (Jul 5, 2011 10:34PM)
HMMM. AGAIN another one of my replies (a reply I made to a post) has mysteriously disappeared. Amazing! It must be magic. Funny the last time this happened was when I posted a reply to the same person.
It must be nice to have that POWER!
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 5, 2011 10:46PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-05 21:43, jimhlou wrote:
I think she officially retired.

Jim
[/quote]

Yes, but her posts in the dove section, Polly Wants a Cracker, of the Café, suggested she would be around to share some ideas and sell some her illusions.
Message: Posted by: jskalon (Jul 5, 2011 11:08PM)
Thanks Jim.
I was just curious because I love Torn and Restored Newspaper effects and would like to start collecting the different versions.
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 6, 2011 09:12PM)
I just found out that Gene Anderson is a member of the IBM Ring that is closest to my house. I live two hours away, which is why I am not a member of that local ring. I had always known that there was a Gene Anderson that was a member there (I was a guest a few times when I was a teen)...but I never put the two together.

I am going to try to make the July meeting to discuss this discussion with him. Should be fascinating!
Message: Posted by: Dr_J_Ayala (Jul 6, 2011 09:42PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-06 22:12, Mike Maturen wrote:
I just found out that Gene Anderson is a member of the IBM Ring that is closest to my house. I live two hours away, which is why I am not a member of that local ring. I had always known that there was a Gene Anderson that was a member there (I was a guest a few times when I was a teen)...but I never put the two together.

I am going to try to make the July meeting to discuss this discussion with him. Should be fascinating!
[/quote]

Wait, Gene Anderson - In Michigan? What city? If you would rather not publically post and would not mind, PM me the info please!
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 7, 2011 08:30PM)
Gene is in the Bay City area.
Message: Posted by: magicgeorge (Jul 8, 2011 09:37AM)
I too am considering doing this effect and from the videos I have seen online I do like the look of Axel Hecklau's version.
How long is the set up time on it?

Also, I've never seen anyone do a really funny version of this trick. Apart from doing a few headline gags most routines I have seen are pretty dry.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 8, 2011 11:18AM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-08 10:37, magicgeorge wrote:
I too am considering doing this effect and from the videos I have seen online I do like the look of Axel Hecklau's version.
How long is the set up time on it?

Also, I've never seen anyone do a really funny version of this trick. Apart from doing a few headline gags most routines I have seen are pretty dry.
[/quote]

Hecklau version 2.0 gives several methods for set up, one he says only takes 2 seconds. Anderson's takes 10 minutes if you know what you are doing.

Your are absolutely correct, I have not seen any comedy presentations of the torn and restored newspaper. I wonder why the audience always laughs at the tearing and restoration of the trick anyway. Could it be the actual trick in itself?

Maybe you should come up with a comedy presentation for this trick, it would be unique if you are performing for magicians.
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 9, 2011 10:03AM)
I might have to look into this variation as well. I have also heard good things about Baxt's version.
Message: Posted by: magicgeorge (Jul 9, 2011 12:24PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-08 12:18, wmhegbli wrote:
Your are absolutely correct, I have not seen any comedy presentations of the torn and restored newspaper. I wonder why the audience always laughs at the tearing and restoration of the trick anyway. Could it be the actual trick in itself?

Maybe you should come up with a comedy presentation for this trick, it would be unique if you are performing for magicians.
[/quote]

Just after I posted that remark I looked in the next thread along and there was Geoffrey Durham posting. I'd forgotten about his presentation which was (& still is I presume!) pretty amusing and darned entertaining.

It was just a variation on the classic patter I believe.

I suppose it's just a good effect and has little room for variation or too much comedy. Maybe it's best left as just the kind of effect that is short and sweet with a couple of gags.

I can't come up with much funny about it. Newspapers are in the news at the moment what with the news of the world and daily star debarcle. I think you'd probably get a good response from just ripping up a news of the world and leaving it at that at the moment...
Message: Posted by: Mattia (Jul 9, 2011 01:26PM)
Dear friends,
I haven't tried Axel Hecklau's Newsflash 2.0, but I think that there are a few things to consider before buying the first one. When performed well,it's very impressive and looks very natural: also the handling of the newspaper when restored is absolutely perfect and natural. Nevertheless, there are other things quite uncomfortable:for example it takes A LOT of time to set up. I usually set up other versions in about 2 min. Newsflash takes me at least 15 minutes. Also, it's not so easy to perform:a little mistake in preparation or tearing and...well,You know what happens. In my opinion, regardless to these "cons", it's one of the best versions:audience likes it, it doesn't matter if it's hard to perform. Regarding the presentation,I use it only with a music background. I like very much Harbin's presentation(You can find it on Youtube). And yes,I agree: it's rare to see a magician performing well this trick. Maybe tell a story to explain why You are tearing the newspaper(watch Harbin). About people laughing at the tearing, I don't know why,but it never happened to me. I think that every audience has a different reaction at the same trick. Maybe people with different sense of humor react differently at the same thing(thing that,in fact it's not funny).

These are only the ideas I had reading this topic, let me know if You agree.

Magically Yours,
Mattia
Message: Posted by: TommyJ (Jul 9, 2011 08:03PM)
I fell in love with Ron Wilson's Slow Motion Paper Tear years ago and I have used it ever since. As I understand it, his version is a version of the Elmsley paper tear. I love the ease of handling and the very fast and convenient 30 second re-set.

A lot can be said for flash restorations. They are amazing to watch. But I love the look of the slow motion paper tear as it appear the paper simply "melts" back together and it appears that you are left so clean at the end. I added a clip below. I incorporated a little of Ron's patter. (RIP Ron and thanks for the contribution to Magic. You will be missed. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fB_1yrohKs
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 9, 2011 11:09PM)
Very entertaining Tommy J., I like it!
Message: Posted by: Ony Carcamo (Jul 10, 2011 03:54AM)
Nice, Tommy.
Message: Posted by: Harry Murphy (Jul 10, 2011 04:34AM)
You are right. There is much to be said for the slow restoration of the newspaper. It is argueable which (flash or slow restoration) gets the greater reaction. I suspect that it is like everything else in magic that the audeince reaction depends more on the presentation and performer than the trick.

Nice work Tommy! I really enjoyed watching your handling of this.
Message: Posted by: TommyJ (Jul 10, 2011 08:00AM)
Thanks guys. Glad to share it. I close most of my shows with this tear.
Message: Posted by: Brian Tanner (Jul 10, 2011 08:46AM)
Very nicely done, Tommy! I really enjoyed this.
Message: Posted by: JNeal (Jul 10, 2011 09:58AM)
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've never figured out what (if any) is the difference between Ron Wilson's Version and the original Elmsley.
I have the printed instructions for both (Elmsley's method was sold by Magic Inc for ...$2.00!) and it beats me!

Still, it is my favorite method and has tremendous impact on an audience if the presentation is good.
Regards-
JNeal
Message: Posted by: charliecheckers (Jul 10, 2011 10:50AM)
Hecklau's version is my personal favorite. Despite what others have written, it is easy to reset once you commit to learning it. Alex goes into extreme detail. There is only one tear that is against the newspaper natural grain and needs practice to tear properly. A previous post suggested it can be a challenge to get the restoration right but I have no idea what they are talking about. The other newspaper restoration I like is Anderson"s, which has a similar effect but a less natural position of the newspaper at the end. I am glad others convince themselves that the slow restorations are so wonderful because it makes my audiences so excited to see the flash restorations that I use.
Message: Posted by: TommyJ (Jul 11, 2011 07:29AM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-10 11:50, charliecheckers wrote:
I am glad others convince themselves that the slow restorations are so wonderful because it makes my audiences so excited to see the flash restorations that I use.
[/quote]

Its not that we convince ourselves that they are so wonderful . . . they ARE wonderful. So are flash restorations. I used to perform Anderson's. I also have Axel's. They are both great, but time consuming in between shows to re-set, whereas the slow motion paper tear is extremely fast and simple to reset.

Since I have used both I can attest that audiences like both. My response to the first post is: I prefer the Slow Motion paper Tear. Why don't you give it a try Charlie :)
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 11, 2011 10:30AM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-09 21:03, TommyJ wrote:
I fell in love with Ron Wilson's Slow Motion Paper Tear years ago and I have used it ever since. As I understand it, his version is a version of the Elmsley paper tear. I love the ease of handling and the very fast and convenient 30 second re-set.

A lot can be said for flash restorations. They are amazing to watch. But I love the look of the slow motion paper tear as it appear the paper simply "melts" back together and it appears that you are left so clean at the end. I added a clip below. I incorporated a little of Ron's patter. (RIP Ron and thanks for the contribution to Magic. You will be missed. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fB_1yrohKs
[/quote]

Tommy...that is, indeed, a very nice paper tear. Dangit...I'm gonna have to get a loan jus to buy and try paper tears.

I am hoping to see Gene Anderson in a couple of weeks. I want to discuss all this with him, as well.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 11, 2011 11:28AM)
Newspaper Tears I have known:

Al Baker Newspaper Tear
Neil Foster Center Newspaper Tear
Marconick Center Newspaper Tear
U.F. Grant's Foolzum Newspaper Tear
Al Koran Newspaper Tear
Pat Page 10 Second Newspaper Tear
Alan Shaxon Newspaper Tear plus vanishing Liquid
Joel Bauer's Trade Show Torn & Restored Newspaper
Magic Hands Newspaper Tear plus vanishing Liquid
Karroll Fox Newspaper Tear
Alex Elmsley Newspaper Tear
Ron Wilson Newspaper Tear
Slydini Newspaper Tear
Robert Harbin Newspaper Tear
Alex Hecklau News Flash Newspaper Tear
No Tear Newspaper Tear
Robert Baxt Better Newspaper Tear

I know there is a couple I have missed. Start collecting, they are all very good. It makes sense that everyone should not be doing the same newsapaper tear trick.

I personally like Neil Foster's and Alan Shaxon's tears.
I combine "Egg In Paper Plus" with the Neil Foster Center Tear.
Message: Posted by: charliecheckers (Jul 11, 2011 05:56PM)
My first exposure to learning the paper tear was the slow restoration. I learned it from a vetran performer who owned a magic shop. He tried to sell me on the beauty of a slow restoration. Out of respect to him I could not tell him how bad I really wanted to do the flash restoration I saw and how much "cooler" it looked. Once I learned the Anderson tear - I never looked back. I can prepare a new one in about 1 minute, so I'm not sure where the concern of prep time is. Sure I use stick glue instead of rubber cement and I use the wire for artificial roses in place of what Gene recommends, they work better for me. I admit I have the luxery of only doing a few shows a day vs some who may have so many shows a week that the time is a factor, but I enjoy the fact that I can choose my production method that gets the maximum reaction for me, without concern of a little extra effort. I also wonder if audiences are just being polite to those who perform a slow restoration (just like I was to the one who taught me the routine). When people see mine - they gasp.
Message: Posted by: TommyJ (Jul 11, 2011 07:05PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-11 11:30, Mike Maturen wrote:

Tommy...that is, indeed, a very nice paper tear. Dangit...I'm gonna have to get a loan jus to buy and try paper tears.

I am hoping to see Gene Anderson in a couple of weeks. I want to discuss all this with him, as well.
[/quote]

Thanks Mike. I used to perform Gene Anderson's paper tear all the time. Then I saw Ron Wilson perform his Slow Motion paper tear on a video tape from Hank Lee's conclave, I think it was 1993, and I fell in love with it. I had to keep rewinding the tape over and over and I hadn't a clue how he did it. I found out thru a friend that he wrote his routine up in his book "The Uncanny Scot" and the rest is history. Unlike a flash restoration (which everyone and his Uncle are doing) the audience can see the paper slowly restoring. To me, it looks as close to real magic as it gets. I'm glad a lot of guys aren't performing it! :)
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 11, 2011 09:28PM)
Is that the only place the effect is available, through the book?

I'll have to see if I can find it used...I believe it sells new for $45.

I am still waiting for the Gene Anderson DVD...plus if he is at the July IBM meeting, I'm going to try to bend his ear for a bit.
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jul 14, 2011 03:02PM)
Gene Anderson, hands down for me. I do some alterations to the effect, making it accident-proof and doable outdoors in a gale, if I am so inclined! :)
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 14, 2011 11:15PM)
Excellent, Autumn! I just received and watched Gene's DVD today...and will start working on it this weekend. I also found Ron Wilson's Slow Motion Tear, which I will also begin to work on.
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jul 16, 2011 08:29PM)
You will love it, Mike! PM me if you want to know how to make it bullet-proof!
Best,
Autumn
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 16, 2011 10:02PM)
Thanks Autumn!
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 16, 2011 10:03PM)
Can I share your thoughts with Gene if/when I see him next week? If so, go ahead and PM me your "bullet-proof" ideas.
Message: Posted by: charliecheckers (Jul 17, 2011 12:16AM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-16 21:29, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
You will love it, Mike! PM me if you want to know how to make it bullet-proof!
Best,
Autumn
Sorry to have stole your thunder, but I believe I shared that in my post above.
Message: Posted by: Mary Mowder (Jul 17, 2011 02:56AM)
Dear charliecheckers,

Just to make it clear could you quote the part of your post that makes it bulletproof?

-Mary Mowder
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jul 18, 2011 10:11AM)
Thanks, Mary Mowder. Charlie Checkers: No thunder stolen, no apology needed. I will be sharing ideas with Gene directly, because I know him to be a gentleman who will give me credit for any improvements or handling changes. We sure love that newspaper tear!
Message: Posted by: magicgeorge (Jul 19, 2011 11:22AM)
Do any of the versions restore a newspaper of more than 2 sheets (4 pages).

Whenever I have seen this effect (even before I was much of a magician and viewing the presentation through layman's eyes) I've always thought it odd that the performer doesn't pretend it is a whole newspaper but never seems to give any reason for this. I'm always left thinking are we supposed to think this is a whole paper? And if not the only reason a spectator is left with to as why it isn't is because it can't be done with a whole newspaper.

Maybe it doesn't take much away from the effect but to me it seems distracting.

TommyJ's presentation made use of the fact that there are 2 pages which gives some motivation.

A lot of newspapers have pull out sections for sport, classified or cartoons etc. I was thinking it might make sense to base your presentation about one of these sections which are expected to only have a few pages ie concoct a reason and motivation in your patter to pull out the sports section and rip it up for example.

What are your thoughts on this?
Message: Posted by: Mary Mowder (Jul 19, 2011 01:15PM)
I agree George but I'm not inclined to give up the effect because it is STRONG (I'm using NewsFlash 2.0). Axel Hecklau has a version on his 2.0 where it is a piece of trash to begin with and not the whole paper. The papers I use are small community newspapers and the locals know these are not very many pages, I only remove one full sheet to make mine.

I think there is some recognition that the paper becomes unwieldy and hard to tear if there are more sheets and I think there is some theatrical acceptance that this is a Magic Effect, not that that is a great thing.

My partner and I have discussed sharing sections of the paper as you have suggested but since I'm using the free Local Papers there are no sections big enough . My cheap instincts will out for now.

-Mary Mowder
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jul 19, 2011 01:36PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-19 12:22, magicgeorge wrote:
Do any of the versions restore a newspaper of more than 2 sheets (4 pages).

Whenever I have seen this effect (even before I was much of a magician and viewing the presentation through layman's eyes) I've always thought it odd that the performer doesn't pretend it is a whole newspaper but never seems to give any reason for this. I'm always left thinking are we supposed to think this is a whole paper? And if not the only reason a spectator is left with to as why it isn't is because it can't be done with a whole newspaper.

Maybe it doesn't take much away from the effect but to me it seems distracting.

TommyJ's presentation made use of the fact that there are 2 pages which gives some motivation.

A lot of newspapers have pull out sections for sport, classified or cartoons etc. I was thinking it might make sense to base your presentation about one of these sections which are expected to only have a few pages ie concoct a reason and motivation in your patter to pull out the sports section and rip it up for example.

What are your thoughts on this?
[/quote]

You are correct, but no one has come up with a decent flowing patter routine as of yet. Will you be the 1st, if so I will buy your words. Looking forward to you creativity.

As for several sheet torn and restored newspapers, Elmsley, Page, Shaxon, Bauer, and Anderson come to mind immediately. If you do weight lifting and can tear those last few folds with today's papers, great. Some find it difficult for the last tear of 16 pieces of newspaper.

I think your comments are more about the performance/performer then the torn and restored newspaper. You are not satisfied with there reasoning for bringing a newspaper to a magic show, and you would be more entertained if the performer explains to you why he brought this newspaper with him to show you a magic trick.
Message: Posted by: charliecheckers (Jul 19, 2011 01:54PM)
George - your magical instincts are correct. It is a great idea to tie the presentation in with the section of the paper you are using. This strengthens the fact that the paper is real. I have often heard audience members say that "I took their sports section from the paper, tore it and put it back together". I always use the current daily paper - either the USA Today or our local paper. I have seen magicians use just any paper and while it obviously "works" and few who see it think twice about it, I believe if you are going to do something you might as well do it right. If you present to music, you can still discuss the content of the paper prior to the actual tear and music beginning. Done correctly, this will be one of the effects your audience will remember the most so think twice about taking short cuts.
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jul 20, 2011 09:51AM)
MagicGeorge, Gene's tear is 'five' sheets shown to your audience, or what looks like a full section from the morning paper. You can also START with a full paper like I do, taking it straight from the morning delivery bag! (The bag protects it in transit.) THEN pull out a section, set the rest on your table behind you, and start to work.

If you want to be fancy, you can prepare a Clippo section right in the want ads that got discarded and go back to that after you are done with the tear. You can even do a force to get them to pick the page and the column. You can work up great patter to this if you think a bit. Mine goes along with my culture and ecology. I use an audience assistant and produce a bird from my paper, too.

I used to call Gene's Newspaper Tear my 'white knuckle' trick, because I am dyslexic (no kidding, that is why I don't do card effects). I was always so afraid of getting 'something' reversed and exposing 'something', but I never did. When I passed the '2000 times in front of an audience' point, I no longer worried, but am still careful. This effect works beautifully and you will develop a great routine with great patter, if you just do your chosen tear every chance you get.

Hegblini, I can't sell you my routine and patter, because it would not fit in your show (since mine is a culturally-themed show). However, YOU are brilliant! I know you can come up with some wonderful patter! PM me with your show theme and I will be glad to kick around some ideas that you can sculpt into art! :)
Message: Posted by: Dr_J_Ayala (Jul 20, 2011 11:32AM)
I am not dyslexic myself but I can appreciate the challenges that a dyslexic magician would face - especially in card magic! Thanks, Autumn, for sharing that.

In my silent stage act, I did a Charlie Chaplin theme and on the background we had the silent film-style words projected for each scene when necessary. I would sit on the bench and open the newspaper to read (I used a full newspaper for this effect as well) and start reading. The police officer would notice that I had a dog that was not on a leash and we started to "argue" about it. After some time, I ignored him and sat back down to my newspaper - which he was just content with ripping to bits with his hands - and his club. After a roundabout chase and whatnot, I went back to the bench to find my torn newspaper - obviously angered and discontented. I would fold it up and proceed to restore it to its original condition.

That is a short description of my presentation, which never failed to get great reactions and gasps from the audience. At one point, I also added a bit where a drunkard poured water into my newspaper and in my attempt to dump it out on him, it vanished and the newspaper was restored. This was an idea from an old friend of mine from Europe.

Anyway, it is important to tie some sort of presentation into the effect to liven it up, and I have seen some really nice ideas here.
Message: Posted by: magicgeorge (Jul 20, 2011 12:36PM)
Thanks for the info, Autumn. Do you mean 5 sheets as in 10 pages?

Anyhow, I went ahead and bought the Hecklau version. I really like it, it looks great. I've been practising it for about 5 hours straight.

I'm wondering if you don't go through and show all the pages are folks likely to realise it's not a full paper. I like the poster trick aswell, I have some ideas for that. As for a routine for the paper, I have a few ideas at the moment and will test them out on the comedy circuit when I am ready.

Papers are in the news at the moment what with the hacking scandal. I wish I'd picked up the last ever copy of the news of the world that mioght've made for an interesting angle.
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Jul 20, 2011 12:51PM)
Sometimes 'fessing up can help others, Dr_J_Ayala. Years ago, I worked in a magic shop and (please don't laugh) could not do Invisible Deck. I still can't: I cannot distinguish the pips or do quick math in my head without getting the wrong number. However, I graduated at the very top of my college class, both undergrad and master's, so I do have more than a 'clump of damp grey clay' between my ears, lol! I am good at creativity and can usually come up with routining that others cannot come up with, because they don't have my weird little brain.

Not to derail the topic: There are some GREAT ideas in this thread if one is motivated enough to try them! I love your idea of the Charlie Chaplin routine! This is a fabulously natural way to present the newspaper! Thematic magic is so perfect, because the magic has a purpose and a story! Your routine makes me wish I were a guy with a Chaplin moustache, but my hubby would surely complain ;)

Your suggestion, Dr_J_Ayala, makes me think of other scenes where the paper is found naturally. This makes me think of all the great bits by Red Skelton. Just watching some old Red Skelton bits could surely stimulate new routines for the Newspaper and more!

MagicGeorge, my apologies. I am counting in a weird sort of fashion. I mean that am holding a single section of the paper and I first show the front page only, then I open to the 'second' page (two pages are showing in the open-paper position) then the 'third' page (two pages are showing in the open-paper position), then the 'fourth' page (two pages are again showing in the open-paper position), then I close the paper and show the back page only as the "fifth and final page of the paper." I look like I completely showed every single page of the paper.

So really they first see page 1, then I open to show pages 2&3, then 4&5, then 6&7, then page 8. I think it sounds tedious to say: "The first page of the paper, the second & third page of the paper, the fourth & fifth page of the paper, the sixth & seventh page of the paper and the eighth and final page of the paper." But maybe I am wrong. Maybe I will try to do this next time and see how it feels. Saying it this way makes it seem like you have a full newspaper in your hands! Theoretically, you could add more sheets, as long as you folded it properly and tested it for smoothness, but why mess with Gene's perfection!
Message: Posted by: Dr_J_Ayala (Jul 20, 2011 11:21PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-20 13:51, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
Sometimes 'fessing up can help others, Dr_J_Ayala. Years ago, I worked in a magic shop and (please don't laugh) could not do Invisible Deck. I still can't: I cannot distinguish the pips or do quick math in my head without getting the wrong number.
[/quote]

That I understand completely because my brother-in-law is dyslexic - not the brightest guy in the world some days, but dyslexic nonetheless. All around a good guy though.

[quote]
Not to derail the topic: There are some GREAT ideas in this thread if one is motivated enough to try them! I love your idea of the Charlie Chaplin routine! This is a fabulously natural way to present the newspaper! Thematic magic is so perfect, because the magic has a purpose and a story! Your routine makes me wish I were a guy with a Chaplin moustache, but my hubby would surely complain ;)
[/quote]

Thank you, and I think most any hubby would complain about that...

[quote]
Your suggestion, Dr_J_Ayala, makes me think of other scenes where the paper is found naturally. This makes me think of all the great bits by Red Skelton. Just watching some old Red Skelton bits could surely stimulate new routines for the Newspaper and more!
[/quote]

As a matter of fact some of the inspiration came from old Red Skelton skits, as well as the Tribute to Red Skelton as performed by Tom Mullica. If you have not seen it and if you ever get the chance, his tribute to Skelton is dead on, very well acted, very accurate and extremely hilarious!
Message: Posted by: magicgeorge (Jul 21, 2011 05:06AM)
I know we are veering off topic but that's allowed isn't it? We're still talking T&R newspapers and I think they've all been mentioned and everyone's said their favourites. I was originally talking about routining to help me decide which version to get but now I've committed to one I'd quite like to kick around some ideas.

I'm going to have to watch some Red Skelton. He's pretty much unkown in the UK (wll he is now at least).

This Marx Brothers bit always makes me think that this might be a good premise for a T&R routine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzfiBMRDc5Y

Usually when I hear the "I'm not tearing the newspaper" patter I'm not a big fan. It doesn't seem to carry any weight and just seems like a glib premise to talk about. However, I've just seen Whit Hadyn's version and it makes a lot more sense.

The way he gradually builds up the ridiculousness of it all plus the timing of the lines really makes it work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzHb2zTW44

Also now I know Hecklau's version (I've just timed myself doing the express set-up 3:07 it took) I can appreciate the improvements he has made to Anderson's version however to a layman in a routine like this I don't think it would matter which version you use.

I'm thinking of using the celebrity setting and ripping it to an anti-celebrity rant then spotting something interesting on one of the pieces as an incentive to repair the paper.

George
Message: Posted by: Dr_J_Ayala (Jul 21, 2011 07:11AM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-21 06:06, magicgeorge wrote:
Usually when I hear the "I'm not tearing the newspaper" patter I'm not a big fan. It doesn't seem to carry any weight and just seems like a glib premise to talk about. However, I've just seen Whit Hadyn's version and it makes a lot more sense. The way he gradually builds up the ridiculousness of it all plus the timing of the lines really makes it work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzHb2zTW44
[/quote]

I quite agree on both accounts.
The whole "I am not actually tearing the paper" bit is kind of along the lines of the one thing I hate in presentations of magic - describing exactly what you are doing as you do it. "I pick up the ball and put the ball in my hand, I take the wand and tap my hand. I then tap the cup and open the hand, the ball is gone and now it is under the cup. I pick up..." The version done by Mr. Haydn is brilliant!

[quote]
Also now I know Hecklau's version (I've just timed myself doing the express set-up 3:07 it took) I can appreciate the improvements he has made to Anderson's version however to a layman in a routine like this I don't think it would matter which version you use.
[/quote]

This is very true. As with any magic effect you perform, at least where the audience is concerned, it is not the method you use to get a result, but rather, it is the result itself that matters. Of course, when the presentations stinks, so will the rest of it...

[quote]
I'm thinking of using the celebrity setting and ripping it to an anti-celebrity rant then spotting something interesting on one of the pieces as an incentive to repair the paper.
[/quote]

Very clever. I like it! That same idea could be tied into a money-driven incentive as well.
Message: Posted by: Sealegs (Jul 21, 2011 09:42AM)
Like George I really like this effect but I have never found a way of making it funny enough to include in my show.

I've played around with the Alan Shaxon's, Pat Page's, Gene Anderson's, Alex Elmsley's, Alex Hecklau's, Tony Steven's and other versions. All have their virtues regarding their mechanics and the look of the magic.... but a presentational angle still elludes me.

I watched the clip of the slow motion restoration posted in this thread and I think it completely missed out the very aspect that makes Elmsley's torn and restored so effective. That is, the torn edges of the newspaper should still be seen to be torn even as the pieces are being restored.

This is what creates the illusion of the pieces melting back together as they reform into the complete newspaper. Performed well (I've seen Nick Lewin do it and it looks fantstically magical) it's equally as strong as the best flash restoration but in a completely different way.

While the tried and tested presentation of, 'I'm not actually tearing the newspaper' is obviously one that works for some performers, and is one that audiences generally seem to respond well to, it's never appealed to me.

It's a presentation that is either often a bit too twee for my tastes or otherwise bordering on being smug for my liking. I'm pretty sure I would struggle to likewise adopt such a presentational ploy without it similarly as coming across as such.

However, the Groucho clip Magicgeorge gave a link to might provide a good angle to explore... tearing out parts of your contract that you don't like and then (maybe) discovering at the end a final clause that says if you alter the contract in anyway you won't get paid... thus providing the motivation for restoring it.

That though is more of a torn and restored sheet of paper rather then a torn and restored newspaper. The latter seems more attractive as an item to use for the effect as it's something that everyone is familiar with.

One thought that springs to mind from something else that magicgeorge posted here is the idea of tearing up the paper and at the end discoveing an article on one of the pieces about,...

'...a magician who earned a fortune with his act where the highlight was what he did with a newspaper. The magician tore the newspaper into pieces and ....'

but the rest is on another bit of the paper among the many torn pieces..... so you restore part of the paper to continue being able to read the article....

which reads, 'then surprised the entire audience because he......' again the rest is missing so the paper is restored in full.

with the final tag being that the article finishes...." ... didn't do the usual thing of restoring it"

Doh!

Then again maybe not. For the moment the presentational quest will continue.
Message: Posted by: daffydoug (Jul 21, 2011 06:01PM)
I've used a bunch of tears over the years. Anderson's, Baxt, and some that I don't even remember the names of, because that was decades ago. I love Anderson's, but I don't like the long set up time. And it took me forever to find "st*ve w**e, as he recommends in the instructions.

Lately, I have just decided to get plain lazy, and use the "no tear newspaper tear." It's a snap to set up and re-set. No muss, no fuss, no bother. Resets in all of five seconds. Use it over and over and over till the paper starts to yellow. And you can throw in a bunch of good comedy lines if you are so inclined.
Message: Posted by: TommyJ (Jul 22, 2011 07:07AM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-21 10:42, Sealegs wrote:


I watched the clip of the slow motion restoration posted in this thread and I think it completely missed out the very aspect that makes Elmsley's torn and restored so effective. That is, the torn edges of the newspaper should still be seen to be torn even as the pieces are being restored.



[/quote]

Actually the pages do look torn, but from stage it wasn't emphasized enough. I can see your point, and I noticed this fact too after actually seeing my clip after the show. Since then I have made my gimmicks with a very pronounced tear so even from stage you can see the crooked tears as it melts back together. (Never thought anyone else would notice that fact. Great eyes!)
Message: Posted by: magicgeorge (Jul 25, 2011 06:02AM)
I've had a few ideas about presenting this (one invloved turning the Daily Mail into the Guardian but I decided political satire wsan't my thing) I am thinking of going with this:

Cutting a lady in half. Well ripping..

The lady in question is called Kate, she's 27 and from Bromwich. She lives on page 3.

Good idea?
Message: Posted by: TommyJ (Jul 25, 2011 06:50AM)
One way to find out George. Give it a try in one of your shows and let us know how you make out.
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Jul 25, 2011 02:29PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-20 13:51, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
Sometimes 'fessing up can help others, Dr_J_Ayala. Years ago, I worked in a magic shop and (please don't laugh) could not do Invisible Deck. I still can't: I cannot distinguish the pips or do quick math in my head without getting the wrong number. However, I graduated at the very top of my college class, both undergrad and master's, so I do have more than a 'clump of damp grey clay' between my ears, lol! I am good at creativity and can usually come up with routining that others cannot come up with, because they don't have my weird little brain.

[/quote]

Don't feel bad. I can't remember the math either (and math was favorite subject in school). What I do is an idea I got from Becky Blaney. I fan the cards towards the audience and look right at the back of the other side and split the cards at the chosen card. Also, I write "Odd" on the case so I know which side is facing me. Another thing I do is write the two kings that are on that side of the deck so I don't have to remember them either. Trust me, when you don't want it to happen, someone will call out the king of something and you are stuck.
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Jul 25, 2011 03:16PM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-21 10:42, Sealegs wrote:
For the moment the presentational quest will continue.
[/quote]

I PM'd you with something I have been working on.
Message: Posted by: Sealegs (Jul 26, 2011 06:13AM)
Thanks to mtpascoe for the PM. He's a very nice man.

I think magicgeorge's idea is a great set up and premise for the effect.... cutting a (page 3) Lady in half...and half again...and in half again....with the rest of the paper getting torn up and restored almost, apparently, incidentally... great idea.

It means once that you've established the premise of what you are going to do/are doing you can focus your script on that comedic premise rather than on the process of tearing up the newspaper which, afterall, everyone can plainly see is what you are doing.

It's such a simple idea it's tempting to think it's obvious... and yet no one else thought of it! Nice one George.
Message: Posted by: magicgeorge (Jul 26, 2011 09:12AM)
Cheers Neal. I was doing some compering last night and decided to give it a bash. Went well.

A friend of mine once did a routine where she had several page 3 girls but had drawn bras on them with a sharpie. She graciously allowed me to use her idea. So for a kicker after the restoration when I went to check if she was OK she had taken her marker bra off and was holding it in her hand.

Also, I got a laugh just by reading the wee random quote beside her. They're usually pretty daft & random.

I started with quite a lame intro about how you're always asked two things as a magician (the rabbit question and the sawing question). It did the job but any suggestions for better opening lines much appreciated.

George
Message: Posted by: Mike Maturen (Jul 26, 2011 10:25PM)
Had a great conversation with Gene Anderson tonight. There was a lecture tonight (Nathan Kranzo), but we spent quite a bit of time both before and after the lecture.

Gene likes all the versions we have discussed here. He was interested in why you all like the versions you liked, which I shared with him.

I can tell you this: Gene is a pure gentleman, very cordial and DOESN'T knock others effects.
Message: Posted by: Axel Hecklau (Sep 7, 2011 10:21AM)
[quote]
On 2011-07-26 23:25, Mike Maturen wrote:

I can tell you this: Gene is a pure gentleman, very cordial and DOESN'T knock others effects.
[/quote]

I totally agree. I had the chance to spend some "Quality-Time" with him - Gene is great!


btw. here is a link to my new NEWSFLASH 2.0 Universal TRAILER

Maybe you like to watch :-3)


Greetings

Axel Hecklau
Message: Posted by: Axel Hecklau (Sep 7, 2011 10:22AM)
Sorry forgott to paste the link :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36b9j-nKy8Q
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Sep 7, 2011 01:23PM)
Alex, your Newsflash 2.0 is great. It solves all of the problems I had with the first one. Thanks for making the changes.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Sep 7, 2011 05:13PM)
My goodness, that is an exciting promo trailer!!
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Sep 7, 2011 05:52PM)
Yes, I was a paid spokeperson for Alex Hecklau. No, actually, the trick is more streamlined and better to use. My only adjustment I would make is to put an extra page on the restored pack so you can flip through it like Gene Anderson does.
Message: Posted by: Mary Mowder (Sep 7, 2011 06:51PM)
The name is AXEL Hecklau.

Myra Mowder
Message: Posted by: mtpascoe (Sep 7, 2011 07:35PM)
This was tongue in cheek. I was trying to show that I (wink, wink) was paid from him, then at the same time misspelling his name.
Message: Posted by: Pop Haydn (Sep 7, 2011 08:49PM)
Here is a recent performance of the Gene Anderson tear at the World Steam Expo in Dearborn, Michigan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNkAY9B4Ws8

I like Axel's version as well. Both Gene and Axel are wonderful performers and complete gentlemen.
Message: Posted by: Dr_J_Ayala (Sep 7, 2011 09:27PM)
[quote]
On 2011-09-07 21:49, Pop Haydn wrote:
Here is a recent performance of the Gene Anderson tear at the World Steam Expo in Dearborn, Michigan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNkAY9B4Ws8

I like Axel's version as well. Both Gene and Axel are wonderful performers and complete gentlemen.
[/quote]

Wonderful performance! I wish I could have been there - my wife and I both work in Dearborn and I was just way too busy to come.
Message: Posted by: wally (Nov 19, 2014 08:56AM)
I am going to try paul potssays version. I do have J, Bauers which is good.
Message: Posted by: Sealegs (Apr 24, 2016 10:54AM)
Clear!..... whump.. deet....deet....deet

And so was that a thread started in 2011 and that was last contributed to in 2014 was bought back to life...

I've been working on the Torn and Restored Newspaper and if JNeal hasn't found the answer to his question about the difference between the Elmsley and Wilson versions in the intervening 6 years I can tell him what the difference is. It actually makes quite a big difference to one aspect of the routine. I was convinced they were the same too... but they're not.

I wonder if George is still doing Newsflash? and if so I wonder how he's now presenting it? (For those that can't be bothered to go back and read the 4 pages of this old thread George posted about his journey with doing it in this thread.)

I still haven't got a good patter line or even idea for it for this effect. But I love the slo-mo restore (Elmsley/Wilson version) and have made some changes to the set up and the handling that make the reset as good as instant and the handling even easier and the restore even more like the pieces meld together.

Even without much in the way of a script I've included it in my act a few times.... I also set it up twice more to do.... and forgot to do it both times. :hmm:
Message: Posted by: JNeal (Apr 24, 2016 02:53PM)
SeaLegs... clue me in!

I have both versions of it (Wilson and Elmsley) and I may have interpolated both into whatever version that I do unconsciously. But I would like to know what you have discovered if only for academic purposes!

Regards-
J.Neal
Message: Posted by: Sealegs (Apr 24, 2016 03:45PM)
I've PM'd you Jonathan... l missed the difference too and still couldn't see it when it was pointed out to me. But then the penny dropped.
Message: Posted by: JNeal (Apr 24, 2016 04:24PM)
Thanks SeaLegs! it was hidden in plain sight!
Message: Posted by: Bamboozled (Apr 24, 2016 07:36PM)
Although its not a full newspaper tear, I really love Neil Foster's Center Tear. Lance Burton used it in his dove act.
Message: Posted by: spiltrap (Oct 24, 2016 07:34PM)
Newsflash can't be beat.
Message: Posted by: JassTan (Nov 4, 2016 07:27PM)
Have been using Gene Anderson's Newspaper Tear for the longest time, can't wait to try out Axel Hecklau's version seems like a lot of people like it.
Message: Posted by: Bairefoot (Nov 5, 2016 02:39PM)
Love Newsflash!

Bairefoot
Message: Posted by: AndreOng1 (Nov 9, 2016 09:06PM)
Newsflash is what I use in my shows, It's easy to perform, gets great reactions.
Message: Posted by: bkmeyer (Feb 2, 2019 02:05PM)
Question for you Newsflash 2.0 users:

Do you use the surrounded version for non-surrounded venues, or is that running when no one is chasing? Just purchased Newsflash a few months ago and love it but I'm curious what you've run into in performance. Thanks for your input.

Bruce
Message: Posted by: tgplano (Feb 3, 2019 05:54AM)
I use it in every show. I like the tabloid version and have never used the surrounded version. Never seen the need for the surrounded version. I just hold it relatively close to my body.

However, a word of warning. If you don't follow the instructions in the reveal correctly and accidently hold the final packet upside down for the final reveal the packets will come up on the outside of the restored sheet, not the inside.

Ted
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Feb 3, 2019 08:13AM)
I also use it all my shows. I have never had a need to do the surrounded version.

This is one of my all time favorites to perform.

Mark
Message: Posted by: Lester (Feb 4, 2019 05:12AM)
Axel Hecklau every time. Newsflash 2.O worth its weight in gold to every magician!
Message: Posted by: bkmeyer (Feb 4, 2019 09:52PM)
Thank you for your help, Ted, Mark, and Lester.
Message: Posted by: GlennLawrence (Feb 5, 2019 01:16PM)
Anyone use the Slydini Newspaper tear? I've played around with it but have never performed it, would be curious to hear from those who have, thanks-
Message: Posted by: tgplano (Feb 5, 2019 03:38PM)
GlennLawrence: I played with it and felt that Newsflash 2.0 was much better.

Ted
Message: Posted by: GlennLawrence (Feb 6, 2019 12:37PM)
Thank you Ted! I appreciate your response and perhaps I will look into Newsflash.
Message: Posted by: martini (Feb 6, 2019 09:28PM)
Greetings Lester;
It is good to see you again, hope you and the family are all in good health.

These are my thoughts about the torn and restored newspaper.

I have played with just about every newspaper tear on the market. In 1969 I bought
the Al Baker tear from Phil Thomas the the old Yogi Magic Shop in Baltimore. A couple of
years later while visiting with Frank Garcia in New York, Frank took me over to visit with
Slydini and he graciously spent almost 3 hours covering every detail of his tear, which I
have used ever since.

In the 80's Denny Haney talked me into trying the Gene Anderson tear, and that one I
used for a while as well. Up through the late 90's I would use Gene Anderson's for my stage
performances, and Slydini's for banquet and smaller shows.

I have played with most of the others through the years, but still kept coming back to
those two, I guess more out of sentimental value than anything else, but a few years back I
had the chance to see Axel Hecklau's tear and I fell in love with it.

I still do Slydini's tear just to keep in practice as I'm not getting any younger, lol
But the one I use in all my shows now is Axel's. It has all the points checked off, making
it ideal for any situation. Also being in this business for as long as I have, I have to say
that Axel's DVDs cover every detail going way above and beyond anything else out there.

It reminds me of the detail that Ken Brooke put into The Nemo Jumbo Card Rise years ago.
So for what it is worth, I highly recommend Axel's Newsflash 2.0.

If the price is putting you off, remember that quality is always worth any price and in
the end, you are investing in yourself, not another trick for the desk drawer.

All the Best
Marty
Message: Posted by: thomasR (Feb 8, 2019 03:37PM)
You can always combine some things... I use a modified version of Jim Steinmeyer’s script, Ron Wilson’s physical routine, ending with some tears from Gene Anderson’s book.

I think the Ron Wilson handling is the cleanest you can get.
Message: Posted by: Nem (Apr 7, 2019 05:51PM)
[quote]On Jul 11, 2011, TommyJ wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-07-11 11:30, Mike Maturen wrote:

Tommy...that is, indeed, a very nice paper tear. Dangit...I'm gonna have to get a loan jus to buy and try paper tears.

I am hoping to see Gene Anderson in a couple of weeks. I want to discuss all this with him, as well.
[/quote]

Thanks Mike. I used to perform Gene Anderson's paper tear all the time. Then I saw Ron Wilson perform his Slow Motion paper tear on a video tape from Hank Lee's conclave, I think it was 1993, and I fell in love with it. I had to keep rewinding the tape over and over and I hadn't a clue how he did it. I found out thru a friend that he wrote his routine up in his book "The Uncanny Scot" and the rest is history. Unlike a flash restoration (which everyone and his Uncle are doing) the audience can see the paper slowly restoring. To me, it looks as close to real magic as it gets. I'm glad a lot of guys aren't performing it! :) [/quote]
I too am glad a lot of guys aren't doing it as well. It's a GREAT torn and restored.
Message: Posted by: thomasR (Apr 8, 2019 12:41PM)
The Ron Wilson is my favorite as well. I really love the clean display of the paper at the end.
Message: Posted by: TommyJ (Apr 17, 2019 06:37AM)
[quote]On Apr 8, 2019, thomasR wrote:
The Ron Wilson is my favorite as well. I really love the clean display of the paper at the end. [/quote]

Totally. And the re-set is one of the easiest among all paper tears. So practical. Mindblowing too!
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Apr 20, 2019 12:46PM)
I have the Anderson tear and the Slydini tear in my library. The Slydini tear no longer details the restoration process the way they used to. It just says "follow the photos" (very blurry photos, I might add) "to restore the paper." I know for a fact that the old copy of the tear I USED to own went into great detail on how to properly restore the paper. The Anderson tear is rather involved in preparation.

I have a problem which probably doesn't effect you guys as much. My local paper; The Providence Journal, costs $2.00 a copy! Maybe $8.00 isn't a lot to you guys, but I have trouble justifying it.

We used to have a free tabloid paper called The Providence Phoenix, and I tried to use that. But they've gone out of business! Their replacement is more of a magazine, with a stapled spine, so I don't think I can use it.
Message: Posted by: tgplano (Apr 21, 2019 06:55AM)
I'd love to get a copy of the Ron Wilson Newspaper Tear. Anyone have a source?

Ted
Message: Posted by: Nem (Apr 21, 2019 10:19AM)
It is in the book written by by Richard Kaufman, "The Uncanny Scot".
Message: Posted by: thomasR (Apr 21, 2019 10:53AM)
Yes! Great book. Highland Hop is in there (card trick) along with his excellent color changing silk routine, his crazy good chop cup, and his confabulation.
Message: Posted by: Pop Haydn (Apr 24, 2019 12:10AM)
[youtube]XQ7TAaxpIB0[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: Richard Kaufman (May 12, 2019 01:27PM)
Of all the version of Torn and Restored Newspaper I've seen, Ron Wilson's version of the Elmsley Tear (in The Uncanny Scot) is the by far the best.
Message: Posted by: Pop Haydn (May 12, 2019 02:25PM)
It is a beautiful presentation:

[youtube]o7I2bJZITV4[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: Quentin (May 19, 2019 09:57AM)
[quote]On Jul 10, 2011, JNeal wrote:
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've never figured out what (if any) is the difference between Ron Wilson's Version and the original Elmsley.
I have the printed instructions for both (Elmsley's method was sold by Magic Inc for ...$2.00!) and it beats me!

Still, it is my favorite method and has tremendous impact on an audience if the presentation is good.
Regards-
JNeal [/quote]

In Ron Wilson's handling he pastes in an extra page, denoted as "A" in the instructions from his book.It doesn't appear in the Elmsley book explanation, nor Nick Lewin's handling.