(Close Window)
Topic: What Would You Say Is the Best Gimmick You Can Buy?
I've been looking for the most amazing gimmicked magic trick ever. What would you suggest?
Thumb Tip

raven

twilight angels by paul Harris
Okay, thanks. Twilight Angels looks lik a good one. I would still like more suggestions.
The TT, when used properly, is absolutely amazing - a fantastic gimmick. It has morphed into lights, magnets, strobes - a very versatile prop. The Invisible Deck has to be considered an amazing gimmick. Walsh's canes and Fantasio's props are gimmicks themselves, but look like ordinary objects. If I think of any one gimmick that beats all the others, I'll be back.

Jim
Not sure if you are considering just 'in a box' type tricks but magic loops are AMAZING. Thread itself is cool but the loops have such portability (since you can wear it on your wrists) that impromptu tricks are easy to do :)
TT is king. Invisible deck is queen!
I agree - the 'amazing vanishing disappearing silk handkerchief trick' is the only trick I need. Can show it to a 4 year old girl, or a 90 year old woman ... it doesn't matter if they speak English or not. It is the only trick I need to be able to make a living as a magician.

-JoeJoe
Thanks everyone for your input! I really like the invisible deck. I'll probably get that at some point. Any more suggestions are welcome!
I would also suggest the "copper/silver/brass" gimmick. It's very easy to use and you don't need difficult sleight of hand (in the standard version).
It's one of my favorite coin routines.
I agree JoeJoe: It's pleaser. Plus salt, water coins, strings, cigarettes, bills, etc. I even balance a TT on the back of my hand and lean a playing card on it. Looks like the playing card is standing on edge and when I pick up the card, the TT goes back on and I'm clean as a whistle. Love it.

I saw a guy one time at the Castle in the 70's that did an 18 minute routine with about 4 TT's and bills with the same numbers on 'em. Brilliant routine. 18 minutes. Out of the pockets with clean hands. How cool was that and a lesson too.
TT
My personal favorite is the nice vinyl ones ... the plastic ones look like crap, and the latex ones feel like crap.

-JoeJoe
Nielsen's vanishing bottle gimmicks
Aside from the invisible deck, I also love bringing Svengali with me.
Message: Posted by: Magic from A to Z (Jul 31, 2011 02:55PM)
When you get tried of cards and coins and want something new from this year, reach for a chocolate. You can't go wrong with Sugar Rush.
It really depends on your style. Personally I think dresscode is brilliant.
I like Pointless by Greg Wilson. A Bic Pen that can do amazing things.
Has anybody ever been 'caught' with a TT though?

Sorry if this is a daft question, I am new to magic and would be a little horrified if I was caught out!
Andy, TT's scare the bajeezus out of me. Although I've heard Patrick Page has a DVD that really helps fill you with confidence. I'm sure there are others.

I think my fear comes from me knowing what it was before I got into magic and I worry laymen do to. But like everything, if it's done well they would never suspect a thing.

Mr Pink
My fave gimmick is a Sharpie with an embedded magnet for use with a paper chop cup routine.
Invisible Deck is my second fave.
My opinion is Scotch and soda if you're into coins, am IMP pad if you're into mentalism.
I'd have to say a TT. I also love the Wow out of more modern gimmicks
[quote]
On 2011-08-06 08:56, Andy Gemini wrote:

Sorry if this is a daft question, I am new to magic and would be a little horrified if I was caught out!
[/quote
I'm sure some have but if done properly
you will have no problem
Chop by craig petty
TT hands down but rattled is also very cool.
QB2,TT & ID!!!
MD by Promystic
A great Holdout with various attachments ;)
Message: Posted by: Jim Stan Magic Man (Sep 30, 2011 05:12PM)
The Topit is awesome. I do not see this used very often.
[quote]
On 2011-09-30 18:12, Jim Stan Magic Man wrote:
The Topit is awesome. I do not see this used very often.
[/quote]

+ the new Kaylor UCCU ;)
TT
[quote]
On 2011-09-29 10:36, nonvpro wrote:
QB2,TT & ID!!!
[/quote]

Yep, plus a FKHO, CC, and YPE! And lest we forget the GHU!
I would suggest any sort of magic wallet, with these you can do mentalism, card to wallet, credit card swtiches which open your routune to have a comic touch.
I would also strongly recommend "Pointless" by Greg WIlson
My vote goes with Scotch and Soda, although I perfer the magnetic version
The TT is tried and true. Get Examining The Thumbtip DVD by Master Magician Alexander de Cova to see the power.
WOW Card sleeve. When a Spectator sees a card transform into their signed card and no evidence of the previous card is seen, they are dumbfounded. Wonderful transposition utility.
Thumb tip easily. Another vote for WOW and Scotch and soda.
Subterfuge Magic System... hands down. You can use it by itself or with just about any other gimmick. I am a little bias on this but, what can I say, I love it!
The Universal Raven - an overlooked evolution of the original Raven that does a lot more than just vanish a coin.
Without a doubt the thumb tip wins hands down. As for getting caught with it... my mentor (many, many moons ago) told me I should paint mine fluorescent red. The reason being is that if it is used properly, no one will ever see it. Today I realize there are certain times when that would be impossible to hide the bright red, however my mentor was correct. Practice in front of a mirror and learn how to use it properly. You will be amazed at the different routines you can accomplish with this tiny gimmick. I met Casius Clay (Mohammed Ali) at Hollywood Magic in California. His very favorite trick at that time was vanishing and making a silk reappear in the TT (and he performed it exceptionally well).

Ray
The TT is, in my opinion, one of the most versatile gimmicks. Some years ago some friends at the bar asked me to show them some effect and, with my tt, I begun to let sugar, napkins and other stuff disappear and reappear.
At the end a friend of my said to me 'It's amazing, I've heard that in TV they use a tt but you don't have one because I couldn't see it, how did you made this?!'.
That was one of the greatest compliments I've ever received.
The invisible deck is also a gimmick I like a lot!
A Thumb Tip of course! ALWAYS GO WITH VERNET, they are the best, regardless of what any marketing hype says. it is absolutely the most useful gimmick in the world, regardless of how many children flash them in their little magic kits nobody is ever looking for them and they can be used in litterally millions of ways, it's only limited by your immagination. now, you can order one off the internet but I truely do not suggest it, because they come in all different sizes and getting a correct fit is crucial, find the nearest magic shop, even if its a few hours away (mines at least an hour and a half) and make a trip to it, you don't have to make a special trip but maybe just the next time you're in the area. tell them you need a thumb tip and if its anything like the magic shop near me they'll have like a bucket of them, pick through it trying them on until you hit the right size, it should only fit to the top knuckle of your thumb, not all the way over it, if you're unsure ask the guy behind the counter, he will know how it should fit. go ahead and grab two, they will eventually wear out but they're like less than $5 each I think, grab like a 9" silk while you're there, they'll have an assortment of colors to choose from, I use blue, you can put it in the thumbtip and carry it, for a silk production any time, you're probably thinking "silk production? really?" but it's really neat when you can pull a silk out of thin air and make it dissapear anytime, people will love it, and it works great for kids because it's really simple and easy to see the effect, you can even find something that's the same color as the silk and pretend to pick the colors from it if you like. I used to carry two thumb tips, one empty for whatever effect I had in mind, makes it easy to make small things vanish, and one with a silk stuffed in it. now I just carry one either empty or filled depending on what I want to do, of course you can always take the silk out if you wanna use it for something else.

second up would be the Invisible Elastic Band, or "loop", learn to tie your own and they become pretty cheep, can be used for loads of things, not quite as versitile as the thumb tip and requires a little more creativity to create your own effects, but easier to carry really, I have a piece of cardboard cut to hold five of them that I fill up and put in my back pocket if I know I'm gonna be performing, that plus 1 on my wrist gives me 6 of them on me because they do break easy. I would recommend buying at the guerilla guide to loops from E, it won't come with any loops or any thread but it will supply you effects, I have one of the three DVD's, it's really quite great. the best thing about a loop is it goes on your wrist and it goes unnoticed, it doesn't take up extra space or get in your way, every now and then they get snagged on something and can break off, so I always check my wrist before performing rather than just assuming it's there, but generally you can put one on in the morning and your good until it breaks from use.
Couple of things I should clear up about my last comment, I keep the cardboard holder in a home made envelope made to fit, otherwise the loops would break, and when I say to but the Guerilla Guide to loops from E, I mean Ellusionst.com, just to clarify who that is.
Thumb tip or an ITR.
[quote]
On 2011-07-16 22:32, JoeJoe wrote:
I agree - the 'amazing vanishing disappearing silk handkerchief trick' is the only trick I need. Can show it to a 4 year old girl, or a 90 year old woman ... it doesn't matter if they speak English or not. It is the only trick I need to be able to make a living as a magician.

-JoeJoe
[/quote]

Chris Capehart started his NYC busking career with the vanishing silk handkerchief. It was the first trick he bought and he went right out on the street with it!
TKO 2.0

and of course a TT
The TT for its versatility, even though I barely use it.
I use topits a lot, but make them myself. If you know what it is, I don't get the point of buying...
Now, some people who only do coin magic will tell you an expanded sh*** may be the best gimmick.

So, I guess it depends on the kind of magic you want to do: a TT and an sh*** don't help me vanish multiple billiard balls...
I agree, TT! As for feeling uncomfortable wit it on, or feeling like you may get caught...learn the promper hand posture/positioning, and put one on and wear it around for a day, or even a few hours. Likely NOBODY will notice, and will increase your comfort level having one on and acting naturally.
Stripper decks are wonderful as well. Can't ignore all the TT suggestions either. I've always thought that Stripper decks were a little cheesy but recently I've messed around with one and you can do SO many effects SO much cleaner with a stripper deck. All depends on what you like though.
The Copenetro Deck, is totally visual, plus it's on the cards and is undetectable, no one knows it is there and can see it.

You can watching, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0xVr0aA-i8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Is amazing.
TT & QB2
Kirkendall reel!
TT appears to win the vote and I agree. But I also get great use out of a Simplex Dye tube. Color changing hanks has always been strong for me. They are inexpensive and if you learn proper handling, you will love the gimmick. The color change appears truly magical in my opinion.

Bruce
[quote]On Jul 30, 2011, motown wrote:
Nielsen's vanishing bottle gimmicks [/quote]

Nielsen also produces (Yet, I think) a feke (not a gimmick) A "feke looks like something". a gimmick is never seen. The feke is for the bottle thru the table. (Great!)

The feke can ALSO BE USED IN VANISHING A BOTTLE (NOT A "BOTTLE")!
I,m surprised no one mentioned sponge balls
any routine makes people smile
Magnets have many uses. Also the TT
A thumb tip, but some ITR or loops are also really great.
TT wins on the breadth of effects that can be performed
Svengali or ITR. The former is so simple and yet so deceptive. That latter can make miracles happen.
Expanded Shell Coin :-) A great tool for coin workers ....
I have been getting a lot of mileage out of a Mental Photography deck!
TT's been hailed (rightly so), but I want to put a word in to go get a good marked deck. With those two things, you could be stranded somewhere and get a ticket back home.
Copenetro is the effect that gave me the greatest delight when I purchased it 35 years ago and discovered the amazing secret.
The answer to that question is going to be different for every performer as it depends on numerous things personal to each performer from close up magic to stage, from cards to coins and so on there are just to many variables to take in to account.
[quote]On Aug 6, 2011, Andy Gemini wrote:

Sorry if this is a daft question, I am new to magic and would be a little horrified if I was caught out! [/quote]

It can be a bit nerve wracking at first. You put this thing on, look in the mirror and say "The dude with Coke-bottle glasses in the back row of a darkened theater can see this!"

However, with some very basic handling,the TT can be nigh invisible. I'm not the most deft of magicians, and I've not been caught out.

Indeed, the fact that so mamy people know about the TT is actually a benefit to my perspective. They know what to look for, but not when/where to look. The fact that they can't find your well-known gimmick adds credence to the thought that you aren't using one. Thus, the mystery is heightened.
[quote]On Jul 7, 2011, jimhlou wrote:
The TT, when used properly, is absolutely amazing - a fantastic gimmick. It has morphed into lights, magnets, strobes - a very versatile prop. The Invisible Deck has to be considered an amazing gimmick. Walsh's canes and Fantasio's props are gimmicks themselves, but look like ordinary objects. If I think of any one gimmick that beats all the others, I'll be back.

Jim [/quote]

I just happened to be "surfing", and read friend Jim's post!

Sorry Jim! Russ Walsh would cry if he read that! --Walsh canes, and Fantasio canes & candles are PROPS!

More technically, they are FEKES. --They appear to be something that they are not.

A "TT" interestingly enough is, arguably a FEKE, --OR-- a GIMMICK!

I can't think of "ANY ONE GIMMICK that beats all the others" either. --So, I won't be back!!!

P.S. I think that my dear friend, JNeal, will get a kick out of this post! hee hee
So, I lied!...............

P.P.S.!

Copper, Silver, Brass, Scotch & soda, expanded shlls are FEKES.

Just for the fun of it, I read the thread, and "picked out a FEW (???) more examples!

Neilsen bttls are FEKES

Svengalis, Strippers, or Mental Photography decks are FEKES.

DRESS CODE!!!, is the name of a routine.

sponge ball(s) are PROPS

Copenetro is not an EFFECT. An EFFECT is what the spectator perceives!
For me the Svengali deck is still one of the greatest gimmicks of all time providing you don't reveal that it is one.
The Invisible Deck never fails to stun people and I've never come across anybody who has seen it before.
[quote]On Jul 11, 2017, AceOfJokers wrote:
The Invisible Deck never fails to stun people and I've never come across anybody who has seen it before. [/quote]

Surprisingly, yes! For all of the ubiquity of this effect (among us, at least) I'm frequently shocked at the reactions I get. I was put on the spot yesterday (last minute) for a brief series of short talks illustrated with a bit of magic. I happened to have an invisible deck on hand and went with it. In each case, I got marvelous reactions, and even after all this time, I'm surprised by that.
I have 2

TT
Mystery Box
Egg bag
Thumb tip(s)
Invisible Deck
Pointless (Greg Wilson)
B'Wave

A few of my top contenders.
The best gimmick has got to be the one that you use the most. With that in mind, although I guess I'm a bit biased, would be Secret Servante. I use it at every gig, and have done so for the past three years since I released it!
Never use tt, so my list will be quantum bender, parapad and extractor, then of course any electronic products: like promystic or labco
[quote]On Aug 6, 2011, Andy Gemini wrote:
[/quote]

Probably not, because I keep mine in my practice room. Good idea to get a DVD and start really training with it.
When I watch others I think wow, I should work, to get to that point. Inspiring.
Is it really hard to use, or just intimidating in its simplicity?
Just to add a new big boy into the mix I would like to mention Quiver as its such a versatile tool and is very deceptive when used in a subtle manner :)
I always carry a TT/w silk. Sure to please and surprise. Quiver has become a powerful tool, a subtle coin pouch that packs a punch. If I am bit more prepared for a social outing, I like to include an invisible deck and my MD cube, oh and some coin magic from Copeland.
Jay Scott Berry has a couple of items that I find fascinating and useful.

All based on the Sanada gimmick, but with easy to do modifications, his work with the standard Sanada, plus the Cloaking Device and the FS2 are - imho - worth looking into.

They don't seem to be in production anymore, but all you need are some Sanadas, a couple of inexpensive & easy to find drugstore items, and Jay's Penguin Live Lecture (which tells you how to make and use them) and you'll be good to go.
Double Face Card
Finger tip. Fools both magicians and laymen.
You can get a lot of mileage out of loops
TT, shell, bite coin.
TT, Chop cup and Dye tube (and all the various forms of dye tube)
Bruce
The rubber latex egg for the beautiful rose petal to egg trick.
Wouldn’t the best ‘gimmick one could buy’ be determined on what you are wanting the outcome to be?
You got it Wravyn, it is just a matter of the type of magic you perform.
Wravyn... You are absolutely correct in that the answer depends entirely upon the type of magic that interests you and that you want to perform. For me, something to carry around and perform impromptu close up, it is hands down the TT. A complete magic show in your pocket.
The other day rocco gave away the thumb tip in an article in the new york post,referring to it as a magician's "false thumb."...why would he do such a thing?
Most under exposed gimmick in magic. Oops did I say Under exposed. Still my favorite. If used properly blows people away. Dual rotation silk vanish right under someone’s nose and even most magicians miss it and say, “TT, no way!” Yes way! Over 150 effects and counting with one little gizmo.
[quote]On Sep 16, 2018, will lane wrote:
TT, shell, bite coin. [/quote]

Will, none of those are gimmicks.

A gimmick is a secret, unseen device or holder, that makes it possible to accomplish a secret unseen task, usually used in combination with misdirection.

In my manipulation act, I have 12 gimmicks on my clothing, not can be seen.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (May 1, 2019 10:43PM)
I work with all sorts of electronic gimmicks but the pocket index is the most versatile MENTALISM gimmick I have ever used.

CT