(Close Window)
Topic: It won't be up long so look now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLc-f6Cgr9A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u9ZtKbLL0A

Nothing here is claimed as original. Nothing is claimed to be the best in the world or any virtual measuring nonsense we so often see. It is simply the post hypnotics that end my show.

Yes I could lose some weight, I limp because of a torn ACL, and actually believe it or not have pnemunomia while doing this exact show. Yes lighting is poor. It is what it is.

People keep asking me for clips. Here is a couple. As I said they are what they are. Maybe we can just have one thread that does not trun into "I do this better than you" or whatever.

For the impromptu guys this may not be your cup of tea. No problem. It has been the end of my show in one way or another for 25 years.
I am in a state of shock. I never thought Danny in a million years would post this on the magic Café. What a surprise! Of course I have seen it in action live many times.
Just trying to change the tone in here a bit
Brilliant!
There is a real life hypnotist.

As a working Hypnotist I will attempt at offering a thought.

When you nominate people your back is to the audience, obscuring the audiences view of who you are talking to. I used to do this as well, until a great theatre Director, which I paid thousands to, help me change that.

Walking behind the chairs holding you Left hand over the persons head you are about to nominate by touching them on their head, not the shoulder, lets the audience get a very clear view and they will attach the suggestion to them. Then you can work your way down the line..

Pacing back and forth in front with your ass to your audience was something I did for years as well.

I hope this advice is taken for what it is,

good thoughts,

Andrew Gerard
Most interesting and entertaining, Danny.
Thanks for posting it and I'm sure it will be of interest to all types of hypnotists.
[quote]
On 2011-07-07 17:01, A.G. wrote:
There is a real life hypnotist.

As a working Hypnotist I will attempt at offering a thought.

When you nominate people your back is to the audience, obscuring the audiences view of who you are talking to. I used to do this as well, until a great theatre Director, which I paid thousands to, help me change that.

Walking behind the chairs holding you Left hand over the persons head you are about to nominate by touching them on their head, not the shoulder, lets the audience get a very clear view and they will attach the suggestion to them. Then you can work your way down the line..

Pacing back and forth in front with your ass to your audience was something I did for years as well.

I hope this advice is taken for what it is,

good thoughts,

Andrew Gerard
[/quote]

Yes I know exactly what you are saying. You are right. I worked with a director also and we went over this. I blocked the show as you are saying and then something happened to change my mind. I had a volunteer roll right out of the chair. Yes I know all the ways to keep them in the chairs, and right where the rubber meets the road not one of them is 100%. Then a few weeks later, another roller.

I searched through all the script, and fact is there is no way to fix it verbally. Needless to say there is NO way to catch them when you are in the back of the row. So I simply know it looks better, but can't help it. I know it is only a few, I know it is a small fraction, but ONE would be far too many injuries.

So the solution is I simply address it in the beginning. Right before the first induction I explain how I must have my back to them and while it is poor theater, it is simply necessary to insure the saftey of the volunteers. In context, it is something that gets looked past, while in clips it is something that is pretty bad looking.

It is also the reason that I leave the front of them far more than most do. I don't YELL key words as it drives me nuts! Even (actually especially) in the post hyps I feel if the words work they work no need to yell them.

Again, my only concern is the saftey of the volunteers. While I may be a bit more paranoid than is necessary, I don't mind.

Thank you for the suggestion. It makes perfect sense. You are right! I just can't get anything done about it.
I think Danny is right here. And another argument for staying in front of them is to observe what is going on. If you are standing behind them you can't see their faces and know if they are sniggering or coming out of "trance" however you define it. And the safety factor is indeed paramount. The point makes sense though and I do agree with it. It is the practicality of it that is the problem. One way around it I suppose is to have an assistant in the front to watch out for safety issues but I know that Danny doesn't use one and in any event I would prefer to see the faces of the subjects throughout so I know what the hell is going on. A stage hypnotist has to be constantly on the alert and standing behind them interferes with this a trifle, I think.
What good would an assistant who is 15 or 20 feet away be?
You are right. I am on your side.

They are quite useful though when the hypnotist is in front of the subjects because between the assistant and the hypnotist falling subjects are within reach very easily.

Some hypnotists find assistants useful and some don't. But that would be a topic for another thread. On this particular topic I actually agree with Danny for two reasons. One is safety and two I think it is necessary to keep an eye on the subjects. You can't do that properly if you are behind them.
I have seen hypnotists use them. I always thought that they were a bit much. That is simply an opinion, and not a fact needless to say. It is a simple matter of taste. It gets a bit cluttered. But that in no way is an inditment of the idea. Just my personal preference is all. If it is safer for some to use them, then by all means it makes sense.
There are advantages and disadvantages to using them. I suppose the main disadvantage is that you have to pay them! As for the "clutter" thing I agree with that too in certain instances, mainly when the hypnotist has a whole slew of assistants. I have actually seen some hypnotists use three or four which I have always thought overkill. Even two is too many I think. I would never use more than one and would make bloody sure he or she is a good one. You are certainly better off with no assistants than a bad one. I personally find a good one to be quite an asset but it certainly isn't essential and many, many good hypnotists go without.
But of course we are getting off topic.
Nice work! I would have liked to see the first part of the act though, such as intro speech, inductions, games played to promote cooperation, etc. It's clear that you know what you're doing with your skits and the audience loves it! I would also love to see some advice on what to do when things go wrong. In 25 experience, surely you have your share of stories. I'll start a new thread for this. I hope to hear from there Mr. Doyle! Once again great job! I enjoyed your clips immensely.

- SeVryn
Overcoming Hypnosis Fail Thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=423871&forum=22&0

- SeVryn
If I make them, is there a market for chairs with a 5 point seatbelt attachment? :lol:
If I make them, is there a market for chairs with a 5 point seatbelt attachment? :lol:
There sure would be!
Wonderful, Danny!
Best stage hypnosis thread on the Café in recent times. ;)
no stage snobbery intended towards the impromtu guys. :)
I remember the days when this forum was nothing but this type of hypnosis and quality. Good job Danny.
Danny_ very amusing !!
Hello Danny

Assuming you gave them all the suggestion that they will not roll out of their chairs, and they were hypnotised and were all capable of being Elvis, why do you think they did roll out of their chairs? Did they roll forward or to the side?

In terms of hypnosis, does this mean that those subjects did not have a protective mechanism to prevent them doing something dangerous while in hypnosis?

And I suppose the question to Mark would be were those subjects playing along as they rolled out of their chairs?

HK
[quote]
On 2011-07-09 04:57, hypnokid wrote:

And I suppose the question to Mark would be were those subjects playing along as they rolled out of their chairs?

HK
[/quote]

Some of them would be playing along and some wouldn't. There are always going to be a few exhibionists. But as I have mentioned many times there are a fe very susceptible people who delude themselves that they are hypnotised. And if you want to call that self-delusion "hypnosis" be my guest. We will only be talking semantics anyway.

But since this is Danny's thread I don't want to get into this anyway as it is not the subject of the thread.

However, I will say one thing. In certain venues such as universities where there are a lot of young people you may actually WANT people to fall off their chairs since it looks very spectacular and you aim this at the ones who are acting rather than in a state of self-delusion (sorry, I meant trance). It is aimed at fit young people who aren't going to hurt themselves. You say "You will NOT fall off your chairs. You will NOT fall off your chairs. But if you do happen to fall off your chairs you will slither like a snake so you do not hurt yourself" In a young crowd that will encourage various young idiots on stage who are good actors to slither off their chairs and since they will be quite conscious and know exactly what they are doing they will make sure they don't hurt themselves and it will create quite a sensation in the audience. Lots of gasps and laughs over it.

This is also good at army or police shows where the subjects are fit and well trained. The ones who are under real trance however you define it will stay put and the actors will take the hint and do a bit of slithering.

It is best not to do this on a stage since it will be difficult to see the subject on the floor. So this makes it a bit tricky to do in high schools since the shows are always done on a proper stage and it is too high up for the audience to see the floor. And of course one hypnosis authority believes there may be some concern from teachers that the kids are falling about and possibly hurting themselves. I have no idea if this theory is true.

On certain specified occasions it may actually be a good thing to see people fall out of their chairs or at least onto another empty chair beside them. I will never forget the effect it had on me the first time I saw a hypnosis show and Lorde Payne did exactly that. A chill went down my spine and I became an instant believer. Later on I wasn't such a believer but that is another story which I have already related elsewhere.

Aa a rule don't do it but I think you can once in a blue moon if you use good judgement. The worst guy I ever saw doing it was Mind Punisher's hero the late Robert Halpern. It was an awful show and he had bodies all over the place. Paul Goldin never did it and neither did Barry Sinclair as I recall. Lorde Payne only rarely. And these were the best three stage hypnotists I have seen. Barry is the only one alive out of the three. I don't know if he is still working. He must be getting near 70 by now.
I've done both stage (although I do NOT consider myself to be a stage hypnotist) and impromptu or street-hyp, and God knows Danny and I have clashed a little bit more than just a tad in our argument over that little chestnut. LOL.

However you have to say what you see; I don't really care about the high professionalism of stage ordinance (I don't think there's one living lay person who give's a rat's arse), obviously DD is more than aware of all of it and his reasoning is more than plausible.

I just know what I was watching. I've seen Danny's work before and recognized this favourite close to his shows. It didn't stop me from laughing (quite loudly) once again. I laughed at the woman with the non-memory , the tie, the plaster, the sticking and yelling and of course that line that changes in volume and modulation as it gets funnier each time: "Awe shut-up!" is just one of those human things that most of us find gut-wrenchingly funny. I do believe I laugh at hearing most of all at the audience squeeling with their own different laughter noises. Some of them sound like they're going to be sick with laughter...... 'sick with laughter'. How funny can a show get?

And it's here that I'd have to say that, no, I've never seen street hypnosis or impromptu be as 'funny' as an experienced stage-artist plying his well worn worked-out skills in hypno-comedy.

Naw, credit where credit's due. I felt I was watching a consumate stage-hypnotist sailing through what he does, again and again and again. I agree with Owen. Par excellence. Well done Danny!
[quote]
On 2011-07-09 04:57, hypnokid wrote:
Hello Danny

Assuming you gave them all the suggestion that they will not roll out of their chairs, and they were hypnotised and were all capable of being Elvis, why do you think they did roll out of their chairs? Did they roll forward or to the side?

In terms of hypnosis, does this mean that those subjects did not have a protective mechanism to prevent them doing something dangerous while in hypnosis?

HK
[/quote]

I didn't read Marks post because it was to many words.

Here is the deal. In the hypnosis show you can lose suggestion very quickly. What I mean is this is not therapy. We do things VERY quickly and we move from suggestion to suggestion at a rapid pace. EVEN IF you give that suggestion at the start, it goes away eventually in some cases. I always give the "you will never lose your balance" and "not roll out of your chair" suggestions. But as I said we are not dealing with long term suggestions.

Also for many reasons some people will read it as "look at how hypnotised I WAS as compared to everyone else, I fell to the stage". Now the suggestions you mention can easily take care of a LARGE percentage, heck 99% will be done. But if you have 250 shows a year with at least 8-20 people per show, eventually the numbers catch up with you.

Now there are those who don't mind people piling up on stage, I have seen those who encourage it. At colleges and comedy clubs. I have never been a fan of the practice simply from a saftey point of view. Also I work at places where people just would not want to be laying down on a stage where people have been walking. I just don't like the look of it is all.
[quote]
On 2011-07-09 08:19, bobser wrote:
I've done both stage (although I do NOT consider myself to be a stage hypnotist) and impromptu or street-hyp, and God knows Danny and I have clashed a little bit more than just a tad in our argument over that little chestnut. LOL.

However you have to say what you see; I don't really care about the high professionalism of stage ordinance (I don't think there's one living lay person who give's a rat's arse), obviously DD is more than aware of all of it and his reasoning is more than plausible.

I just know what I was watching. I've seen Danny's work before and recognized this favourite close to his shows. It didn't stop me from laughing (quite loudly) once again. I laughed at the woman with the non-memory , the tie, the plaster, the sticking and yelling and of course that line that changes in volume and modulation as it gets funnier each time: "Awe shut-up!" is just one of those human things that most of us find gut-wrenchingly funny. I do believe I laugh at hearing most of all at the audience squeeling with their own different laughter noises. Some of them sound like they're going to be sick with laughter...... 'sick with laughter'. How funny can a show get?

And it's here that I'd have to say that, no, I've never seen street hypnosis or impromptu be as 'funny' as an experienced stage-artist plying his well worn worked-out skills in hypno-comedy.

Naw, credit where credit's due. I felt I was watching a consumate stage-hypnotist sailing through what he does, again and again and again. I agree with Owen. Par excellence. Well done Danny!
[/quote]

Bobser, thank you.
Excellent presentation Danny!

Good thoughts,

Bob
Thank you sir.

I am glad we may have changed the tone here a bit, it was getting tiresome with all the measuring and bickering back and forth. (Even when I was involved in it :( )

So I deceided to be productive about it. Maybe I will get the opening up one day. But it took me a LONG time to do this so who knows? LOL.
Thanks Danny. I'd still like to know why it happens but that can be saved for another thread sometime.

HK
OH no I am sorry lets talk about it.

In the end NOBODY KNOWS! Seriously. People come up because they like and trust you. They are following directions very intensely. They are focused down to the sound of your voice. Very narrow focus. They often are just not paying attention to themselves.

I have just assured them I would take perfect care of them, I would make certain they are safe, so some of those things are turned off.

Some are more outgoing attention getting types. "Look at how hypnotised I WAS!"

I guess it could be 1000 reasons.

I am only worried about them falling forward. One thing I do during the induction is to lay the heads on each others shoulders. Then when I do a reinduction handshake I always pull them to anothers shoulder. This gets them in the habit of sideways. This can be tricky too because of head clunks or what not.