(Close Window)
Topic: Mic Mouth by Axtell
Here's the new product we released at Vent Haven in Mark Wade and Ken Grove's lecture on new ideas for Vents! It's a moving mouth on a dummy microphone called "Mic Mouth".
Check out the videos on this page - Mark Wade, Jay Johnson, Bob Rumba.... many more coming.

Here's the Web site -
http://www.axtell.com/micmouth.html

[img]http://www.axtell.com/mm_sarahjones.jpg[/img]
Ax
Steve, this will be a hit, for sure!

I want one.
I ordered for 2 pcs already ;)

Thanks Ax :)
As soon as I get mine, Ill give my vent masks a rest :)

Mic Mouth will give my audience a fresh approach to my old routine!

Thanks Ax! Yodaman! :)
Wanlu, do you want to sell your used vent mask for a good deal????
I, along with just about everyone else at the ConVENTion I think, ordered one of these. It really solves the problem with the awkward few minutes getting the mask on.

Ax, is it possible to put something at the bottom of the mic so that it looks more like a wireless unit? Or perhaps a dummy mic cord coming out of it?

Thanks.

Bob
[quote]
On 2011-07-19 22:00, Howie Diddot wrote:
[/quote]

We might have to stop making them so I might just keep mine in case they come handy in the future... thanks for asking though :)
HOwdy y'all....been too long since I was here. Missed this place : )

Ax, this new vent mouth is totally awesome....

Mark
Bob - It was great to meet you at Vent Haven... I really enjoyed your spot on the show.

Most hand held wireless mics no longer have anything hanging out of them, but you could add a wire or black string if you want.

Here are some pics of some real ones on the market...

http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionRegular/Shure/797073.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROlUKwn87yFl85tF8K0yAcRNT3I8sehYR1LU2W67WDw2B8GJhu
Welcome back Mark!
[quote]
On 2011-07-19 22:33, Wanlu wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-07-19 22:00, Howie Diddot wrote:
[/quote]

We might have to stop making them so I might just keep mine in case they come handy in the future... thanks for asking though :)
[/quote]

Why are you going to stop making the mask?
Got mine ordered! I think it will be great for routine where I have several members of the public up and I can interview them all.
Saving up my pennies for mine.
It'd be funny to have a dummy mic without the lips attached that you use as a prop as you're calling someone up onstage, then do a quick switch to the Mic Mouth as you're ready to interview. It'd make for a really good laugh.

-Philip
[quote]
On 2011-07-20 12:45, Servante wrote:
It'd be funny to have a dummy mic without the lips attached that you use as a prop as you're calling someone up onstage, then do a quick switch to the Mic Mouth as you're ready to interview. It'd make for a really good laugh.

-Philip
[/quote]

Cool suggestion Philip!†
[quote]
On 2011-07-19 23:44, axtell wrote:
Bob - It was great to meet you at Vent Haven... I really enjoyed your spot on the show.

Most hand held wireless mics no longer have anything hanging out of them, but you could add a wire or black string if you want.

Here are some pics of some real ones on the market...

http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionRegular/Shure/797073.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROlUKwn87yFl85tF8K0yAcRNT3I8sehYR1LU2W67WDw2B8GJhu
[/quote]

Ax is correct, the real one I use in my gigs (Shure Wireless SM58) is almost the same with the†Mic
Mouth.
Here is Mark Wade's presentation and introduction of MIC-MOUTH!

http://youtu.be/JwwBWba4tnE

Ax
This is a really eye catching new item.
Question: Are the lips latex or are they made from a different material that I don't have to worry about decaying with time.
The lips are latex. Keep it treated with 303 every 3 months...it can last from 3-10 years depending on your care.

We will be coming out with different configurations, mustache, tooth missing, etc. Ax
Cool ! I wondered how far you planned to take this idea.

Having a tooth missing would be perfect for using a hillbilly/hick voice.

Tell me Ax, do you ever sleep, or just sit up in bed jotting down new ideas all night long ???

:D

Mark
I'm really excited about this new prop. I think it is incredibly versatile. I ordered one straight away at the convention and I can't wait till it arrives.

The different configurations sound fantastic. I love the idea of a big twirl mustache!
Sarah and I took a photo with this at the conVENTion....

http://www.axtell.com/micmouth.html (Its also at the top of this thread).

Any ideas for "Fairy" presentations Sarah? Turn someone into a Frog perhaps! Ha.
Mark - You benefit from my ADD.... it's just another idea in my notebooks. This one was in the pages of my 2002 idea notebooks. There are over 200 inventions in them... of course who knows if they are all original or not, they are inspirations and ideas. This MIC-MOUTH was original but was also a combined concept... read the Mic-Mouth Story on the page http://www.axtell.com/micmouth.html Ax
Ahh, the legendary Ax notebooks :D I hope that when you are old and gray, you start publishing some of those that are "used up" (ie : the ideas have already been brought to fruition). Many creators could benefit from studying your thought processes, seriously. Some of my favorite magic books have been those that document the true creators in the field. I think one of my favorites is the book on Reidel. It details his career, and his steps in creating illusions that became staples in magic shops all over the country. Of course in a way, you already do that, with your website. It is literally a treasure trove of an all night read.

You continue to inspire us all man...

Mark
Thanks Mark... hopefully when I'm gone, they won't just toss them in the dumpster! Ha!
Great idea Steve!!!!!!!
Steve,
Will the Mic Mouth come shipped in a non-compressible type tube to keep is from getting bent or crushed???
Bill
In the 60's we had "cotton mouth". "Mic Mouth" sounds like a condition that might afflict a smoking, drinking lounge performer who doesn't know when to leave the stage.

Seriously, it looks very cool. It has lots of potential.
This is a great update of the classic "Dummy Mask" device. I am definitely buying one in the near future. Nice job, Steve! Your products are wonderful!
Thanks for your kind words. They will ship in a box. We are building like crazy with hundreds of them on order.
[img]http://www.axtell.com/mm_production.jpg[/img]
I'm wondering where we can get a protective box or something to protect it when we bring it around from show to show. It would suck if it broke if I didn't protect it the right way
Good point MT. I'll look into it. It's actually super strong but you wouldn't want to sit on it. I think an inexpensive plastic craft, tool or tackle box might work....

[img]http://www.axtell.com/mm_rabbit.jpg[/img]
Cant wait to get mine but I think I'm at the end of the que!
I must say that I'm very impressed with the customer service attitude of Axtell puppets and their staff. They are very friendly and approachable. I buy stuff from them all the time and am always very pleased. At VentHaven, their staff was really cool. They have very good interpersonal skills and very engaging with people. I wonder how they developed such a culture at their company. It sure is worth imitating. Got any tips or secrets of customer experience you can share, Steve?

I ordered 2 mic mouths and am looking forward to them.
Step 1, Have a great product
Step2, Be proud of your great product and want it, always to be the best it can be.
Step 3, Want the customer to be really happy with the product.

A good deal is when both sides have got a good deal.

Hows that for starters.
Awesome!
All I can say is we at Axtell Expressions love what we do, we love the products and we love our customers. Lately we have become so overwhelmed with orders that we have had to hire more folks... Part of my goal is to have fairly quick turn-around on orders, but right now it's longer than we want. Our new product MIC-MOUTH is just now ramping up and we have hundreds on order so the lead time to build and ship all these is too long. We are working on speeding that up and I'm hiring even more artists to help. It's harder than you might think to keep high quality production on my constant flow of innovative concepts. Certainly harder than I ever imagined it would be 30 years ago when we started... but we love it and we are SO THANKFUL for your orders and putting our concepts in your shows.

Speaking of new concepts... Colin came up with a new routine which uses our products (he's a power user) and it's going to be released soon with a new Axtell product! He's got it as one of the routines in his new DVD from Practical Magic. Love this kind of synergy with our customers and friends! See you at Magic Live!

Ax
I have never seen an Axtell product I didn't like

:gift: :bunny: :baby: :bigsmile: :dancing: :yippee: :banana: :bigdance: :sun: :bubbly: :dancing: :comply: :bigsmile: :banana: :dancing: :bigsmile: :bigdance: :dancing: :bigsmile:
Practice "Safe Comedy"! Here's a video showing how to apply clean protective tape to the back of the MIC-MOUTH. Change the tape each show and you'll be a clean comedian!

http://youtu.be/gWW3K2ngW2Y

Ax
Ax:

I hope you're paying Uncle Bill DeMar some royalties for your "Tape Behind Mouth" routine.

:)

Bob
Haahaa.. I'd like to see him do that one! : )
Hello All recieved my Mic-Mouth today and I love it. Ax you have done it again. So simple yet so well built and as with all Axtell products it speaks before it says a word. Thanks again.
Mic Mouth is fantastic. Just received mine today and the quality is excellent!! No more having to deal with the mask not fitting the assistant. Thank you for this Steve!
I saw these in the manufacturing phase earlier this week....(Happy Birthday Steve!)...Got caught trying to sneak one out...(back pocket)

Dang...

Ken
Good thing we have tight security in the facility.... Ken was detained for questioning by Theresa.... and given a stern talking to using her Mic-Mouth.

Hey folks... post your photos! Love to see you using them! Ax
A few MIC-MOUTH Sightings around the world.....

[img]http://www.axtell.com/mm_deiter.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.axtell.com/mm_MarioZamboniCadieux.jpg[/img]
Hopefully mine will arrive anytime next week. I ordered 2 pcs and a Diva :)

Mine has arrived yesterday and I'm giving it a try for a 5 minutes routine this weekend!
We already have a couple of routines planned for a TV show...

Wow... our MIC-MOUTH sold for $315 in the auction at KIDABRA! Just got a note from Tammy! Ax
Wow Joseph! Yours got to Singapore already! I'm still waiting for mine. :( Apparently our mail system is slower!!!
Got my Mic-Mouth, and after looking at it, sent it back to have Steve make one in a pinker color like the prototype he showed us at the Vent Haven
convention where mine was purchased. It was way too red for my use and Steve had offered to make one pinker if I wasn't happy with the color.
Another example of Axtell's great customer service!
So, one more is available for the many on the waiting list.
[quote]
On 2011-08-15 09:05, tacrowl wrote:
Wow Joseph! Yours got to Singapore already! I'm still waiting for mine. :( Apparently our mail system is slower!!!
[/quote]
Well, perhaps it's because I've ordered it immediately after Mark's presentation so I'm ahead of the queue. :)

Anyway, here's a video of mic-mouth in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-1TuIESOwY

Quite OK for first time, but there are definitely room for improvement after watching myself.
[quote]
On 2011-08-15 09:05, tacrowl wrote:
[/quote]

Tom;

USPS should really be called the "United States POST-pone the mail SERVICE"
Mine is on hold at the customs office since Aug 10... they are probably trying to figure out how the voice is recorded... :)
[quote]
On 2011-08-16 03:45, Wanlu wrote:
Mine is on hold at the customs office since Aug 10... they are probably trying to figure out how the voice is recorded... :)
[/quote]
Maybe they are waiting for your title deed? :D
LOL Joseph :)

I don't think so unless the US Embassy has changed to USPS Embassy.
You never know.....
Mine finally arrived after a few days in customs. I had to call the local post office and asked them to follow up delivery. They did not ask for a land title but they did ask for a $105 tax for the 2 mics and the fabulous looking Diva :)
Using the mics this afternoon in my mall show... I'll try to take a video :)
So exciting! We are back from Magic Live. Lot's of new MIC-MOUTH users... many pros like Jeff McBride, Kevin James, David
Williamson, Michael Finney...etc.
I was not able to take a video of mic mouth in the mall show this afternoon...but my pal might have taken some pictures. :)

The MIC MOUTH did very well and the crowd went crazy when they saw it... :) It was fun! :)

We are using it in a TV show soon... :)

Thanks a million Ax!!! :bigsmile:
Awesome Wanlu!! Can't wait to see you use it on TV!
[quote]
On 2011-08-18 22:26, Wanlu wrote:
Mine finally arrived after a few days in customs. I had to call the local post office and asked them to follow up delivery. They did not ask for a land title but they did ask for a $105 tax for the 2 mics and the fabulous looking Diva :)
[/quote]

Wanlu;

If you paid $105.00 for the mics, you must have had to give up your house for the two headed figure you purchased
Mine is on the way! Can't wait! Really looking forward to it!

Ken
[quote]
On 2011-08-21 23:38, Howie Diddot wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-08-18 22:26, Wanlu wrote:
[/quote]

Wanlu;

If you paid $105.00 for the mics, you must have had to give up your house for the two headed figure you purchased
[/quote]

Not really... Sent you a PM :)
Anybody else's mouth a little squeaky? Does that go away with time?

Thanks.

Bob
One of my 2 mic mouths is squeaky and the lever is a bit hard to press.

The other one is perfect! :)
I got 2 and both are OK.
I saw here the ad yesterday. I LOVE the idea! Good luck!!
Wanlu email Joel joel@axtell.com He'll help you with it.
Hi Ax... No need, the squeek is not a problem for me.

I was just replying to Bob :)
Oh ... Bob email Joel also. He's our tech manager. The squeak can go away. Ax
Thanks, Steve. Will do.
A drop of oil on the lever hinge point or just a drop of the latex protectant that comes with it, makes the squeak go away. I am super excited about seeing the videos that you all will be putting out soon! Some amazing ideas being kicked around out there! Ax
I used this for the first time yesterday at a show on a 3 year old kid. I told all the other kids that with this magic device we can really hear what's going on in the kid's mind. It was really funny. Everyone loved it! And because the mouth never touches the kid he didn't know what was going on. He just went along with the ride.
Awesome! Did you get any photos? Email to me at steve@axtell.com

Ax
I got mine, I have a million ideas running through my head. I do not do a vent act, but a magic show. And I happen to be able to do vent. I sometimes get the kid up that is jumping up and down to help, but when I get them up, they will not talk. So I can pull this out and make them talk. Sometimes a kid cannot decide what kind of balloon animal they want, so I will have them say "I want a pink poodle, Mr. Magician"
I plan on always carrying this in my magic case, and using it impromptu.
I also do a lot of one and two year old parties. Sometimes I get the kid's mom to sit on a stool, hold them, and help in the show, as the guest of honor. Now they can talk. The baby can say "I want a new sports car, mommy" and I can make the mom answer. "Okay sweetheart, anything you want!" After a do a few shows, I could probably write a book on my ideas I come up with.

This is gong to be fun. I have not been excited about a new prop that I can actually use in my show in a long time.

ACE
Thanks ACE! Great MM report and I can't wait to see your book!

Here's a fun MIC-MOUTH video of magician Sonny Fontana as the INVISIBLE MAN being interviewed by ventriloquist Kevin Johnson!

http://youtu.be/_8Pl1Qzbe6w
Our last one is #15 MARK WADE! He is the Executive Director of the Vent Haven ConVENTion and a wonderful Kidshow entertainer!

After watching this last one, I would appreciate you clicking on the Comment link, and leaving your thoughts about the series. We are really proud of this and want it to be an archive on the internet for years to come.

I hope you have enjoyed the MAGIC MOMENT series, and now here is MARK WADE to wrap it up!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149423/thread/1313883997/last-1314925330/%26quot%3BTHE+MAGIC+MOMENT%26quot%3B+Video+Series
Whoops sorry for that last post. It had nothing to do with Mic-Mouth, it was another video series.

Mark Wade's Mic-Mouth video is here... http://youtu.be/JwwBWba4tnE
Karl Jeffry - unboxing a Mic-Mouth! Haa.... http://youtu.be/0wUFNmvPOhY
Some new Styles....

[img]http://www.axtell.com/mm_all_sm.jpg[/img]

More info - http://www.axtell.com/micmouth.html

Ax
If someone is wanting a mic mouth and wanting to save a few bucks, there's one on ebay (no, it's not me, I don't have one);

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290613719651?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Do you think that's a copy? it looks a difrent color to a micmouth.
Probably the photography.
Message: Posted by: Steve at The Dummy Shoppe (Sep 28, 2011 04:29PM)
It is definately not a copy. Dirk ordered his at VHC as soon as they were introduced. It is the real thing.

Steve

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
I love ebayers!
That mic mouth was put up for auction with a starting price of 90. or a buy-it-now price of 110. - and free shipping - already a decent savings. But no, no one took it at that. They've got it up to 120. now and it still has a day to go.
(where is that slap my head smiley when I need it)
Our used stuff usually goes for about the same or more than we sell it for. Some of our discontinued ape puppets that once sold for $49.95 have gone for over $350 on Ebay.

Ax
It's one thing to pay more for something than it sold for new if it's no longer available, but something that's still available new - to pay the same or more for it used?
That's just plain stupid.
I'm thinkin' that most of the people who actually DO that aren't aware of the larger marketplace...don't know that the Axtell site is there. They've never seen anything like this thing they see on ebay and put in a bid. They're not vents or puppeteers or magicians or anything else. That's the only way it makes sense to me.

-Philip
It's not just this stuff they do that with, you name it, someone is paying too much for it on ebay.
What I've always figured it is, it that people are assuming, if it's on ebay, it's cheaper, when often a simple search may show other places to get it cheaper.
I am that stupid guy who bought it. I paid 120 with no tax and free shipping, so I saved quite a bit actually.
Hahahahahahahahaha!
I thought it ended at 125.
There's no tax anyway unless you live in the same state as the merchant, so I think all you saved was the shipping - (plus 4. because I think the mic mouths are 129. new).
Should have jumped on the BIN price for 110. then it would have been a good savings.
You're right. It was 125. There would be tax and shipping and possibly duty coming into Canada as well. I missed when Dirk listed it and didn't get that chance. I am happy with what I paid as it is practically new and I am helping out a friend, so it's all good. Thanks for worrying about me and my intellect.
When I asked Axtell directly what it would cost me, it came to 154.00 with all in.
I can't wait to see what you do with it Neale! Enjoy! Ax
BREAKING NEWS! See Video

http://youtu.be/2gHonNBmabc
[quote]
On 2011-09-30 23:45, Neale Bacon wrote:
I am happy with what I paid as it is practically new and I am helping out a friend, so it's all good. Thanks for worrying about me and my intellect.
[/quote]
I'm glad you're happy.
When I made my original comment about ebayers, I did not know I would be "worrying about" you or your "intellect" - or that anyone here would end up being the one that reminded me of P.T. Barnum.
You know Neale, if you lived in the USA it would not be an issue; thatís the problem LOL
Makes perfect sense, actually. I was thinking of someone in the U.S. and looking for a reason. Someone OUTSIDE the US, though? Hadn't considered the extra financial burdens. Smart buy, Neale.

-Philip
Neale, I'm not sure if customs knows about the risk of possible epidemic you have now brought into Canada....

It might be good to keep this video out of the hands of the authorities...

http://youtu.be/2gHonNBmabc

Ax
Karl Jeffrey un-boxing his Mic-Mouth on Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wUFNmvPOhY

[img]http://www.axtell.com/______IDeaPHotos/mm_karljefferyDog.jpg[/img]
I just got this email from Taylor Mason...

Frankly, I didn't think it would work.
I opened the box and I thought, "what am I gonna do with this?"
Last Thursday USAirways canceled flights, delayed flights and didn't send my luggage to Cincinnati for a performance where I showed up 2 hours late. The audience (those who remained) was not happy.
I had no puppets. I had only the "MicMouth."
To say it saved the day would be an understatement. How much personality and humor is contained in this simple-yet-very entertaining device is unknown right now. I'm just starting.
Suffice it to say: the MicMouth WORKS and it absolutely paid for itself in the first few minutes I used it.
Thank you, Steve. taylor mason

[img]http://www.axtell.com/______IDeaPHotos/mm_taylormason.jpg[/img]

Ax
So cool!!! :)

From now on...my mic mouth never leaves the car...
My mic mouth arrived! I paid 125 online, with no tax or duty (I AM IN CANADA) so I saved approx 30 bucks from what Axtell's shipping people told me the total would be plus I jumped the line and didn't have to wait for production to catch up for mine.

I am quite happy.
Great Neale! Have a blast with it!
I have been having GREAT fun with my Mic Mouth! I have a couple trips coming up where I have to fly to the shows and I am so thankful for this wonderful invention! It will fit in my carry on with my main figure and another small puppet so most can be with me in case of the worst scenario of a missing suitcase!
Ljlvent...thanks for your email. Your experience with flying is not unusual! Check this out..

Mic-Mouth Testimonial...from Taylor Mason:
Frankly, I didn't think it would work.
I opened the box and I thought, "what am I gonna do with this?"
Last Thursday USAirways canceled flights, delayed flights and didn't send my luggage to Cincinnati for a performance where I showed up 2 hours late. The audience (those who remained) was not happy.
I had no puppets. I had only the "MicMouth."
To say it saved the day would be an understatement. How much personality and humor is contained in this simple-yet-very entertaining device is unknown right now. I'm just starting.
Suffice it to say: the MicMouth WORKS and it absolutely paid for itself in the first few minutes I used it.
Thank you, Steve. taylor mason
I used my mic mouth for the first time live yesterday and it was brilliant.

I have one slight issue in that the lips stick together if left for an hour or so and have to pull themselves apart.

Has anyone else found this and if so have you done anything about it?
Just did a Halloween show where I dressed a kid as a wizard and use a mic-mouth on him. It's fun!
Mark, you can wipe a little mineral oil or armorall between the lips since it's already been treated with 303 at our factory before we shipped them. Don't add the protectant in the packets more than every 3 months or it can build up. We don't like sticky lips.. I agree. Glad your show went so well!

Joseph, did you get any photos of that? Sound fun indeed! We have an old man version that makes a good wizard too! Ax
Love the concept, but am wondering if it is in any way possible to adapt/modify the gimmick so that it was hands-free? Could it be strapped onto a mask?
Thanks Mach! We have several ways to make it hands-free, but none that we love. Electronics will drive the price high, even an attached remote cable control (my original invention) has drawbacks like if the victim controls their own microphone they might not keep it in front of their mouth. We specifically didn't want a mask here, so that's why we put this out.... it's really different and simple. Nothing to attach or strap on. The simplicity and spontaneous use of the gag is what makes it so dang funny! We might still come out with other versions but these are my thoughts at this point. I'd love to hear more from others. Ax
Nearing the end of our introductory offer on the amazing Mic-Mouth. Jan 1st it goes up $20. http://www.axtell.com/micmouth.html
Ax
I received mine a few days ago and put it to use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbDz-KHzaNo&context=C323f200ADOEgsToPDskIs2IrBF-3LWdWiRnEjYoFC