(Close Window)
Topic: Jay Sankey's Slyder
I'm surprised I haven't seen a discussion on this yet. It looks like Jay has kicked up his hype machine into full gear. 7 youtube videos but no normal demo of the effect from what I can see. I still don't understand what kind of effects this does. The preorder is 7/28 starting at 4pm Eastern and only open for 8 hours in which you will get 4 bonuses including a second gimmick.
Just looks like a fancy paperclip to me...
I don't think it even looks too fancy.

Just sayin'...
After bending the Real, I'm going to wait for an actual review.
It appears to be an expansion of a trick from BTR.
Hmmm --- hype for the pre-order -- he's really going for it this time.

Still by the sound if it its fantastic --I'd hate to think this was going to be an effect where you slide the paper clip up or down a list of words and the spectator says stop and amazingly the word that is within the window of the paperclip is the one predicted. I mean it surely couldn't just be that with all this hype...could it ?
I was thinking the same as Ray. It is a useful idea and Jay is very creative so maybe he has come up with some brilliant use for it.

if that indeed is the same prop
Jay's hype is SO annoying...it's a freaking paperclip.
It's an expansion on a classic but if I get one thing out of it I'll have gotten my moneys worth. This seems to have many uses that are not as possible with the original....

Fingers crossed it's a quality release. BTR... Was awful.
After my experience with "Bending The Real" and all the hype that went with it, I was very interested to read about this. I watched the latest video last night where he actually shows the Slyder gimmick, and it does seem to me that it is going to be a variation on the gimmick that he explains how to make for the effect on BTR. The effect in question is pretty much the one Ray describes above.
I used to get excited about the hype videos but now they are just getting annoying. I would much rather have the effort made into one quality demo so I can see the effect and not have to worry about preorders and deadlines and getting or not getting bonus effects.
I agree. I'm looking forward to reading the reviews of this one. As I said in my review of the "Bending" DVD, I'm pretty new to all this, so it's interesting to see how much of products on the market is hype and how much is actual substance. The preorder hype for Bending sold it to me on the strength of the extra booklets, which were pretty weak to tell the truth.

I have heard that Mr. Sankey does have some very good DVDs etc, so I suppose it's a matter of sorting the proverbial wheat from the chaff. Either that or it's all just a matter of personal taste.
Jay is very creative. He keeps coming up with more and more ideas for the community. Wonder what his strolling set looks like and what he actually uses?
Interesting idea,I wouldn't expect it to be more than $15.00.

Mike
I believe Jay said on his latest YouTube update the price is going to be $40.00.

Joe
[quote]
On 2011-07-27 21:41, Joemv wrote:
I believe Jay said on his latest YouTube update the price is going to be $40.00.

Joe
[/quote]

I really cant see paying $40.00 for 2 flat paperclips,I really liked the potential of this gimmick but not for $40.00.

Mike
[quote]
On 2011-07-27 20:46, Decomposed wrote:
Jay is very creative. He keeps coming up with more and more ideas for the community. Wonder what his strolling set looks like and what he actually uses?
[/quote]

I think it's funny that on every video he says that he uses "this" all the time,his close up set must be hundreds of effects ;)

Mike
Wow,
After the entire "Bending Me Over...Really" fiasco that I was stupid enough to be a part of, I was pretty much ignoring anything from Sankey. From the threads I have read on the "BABOM", wait a minute, where did those threads go?!...Hmmm...Anyway, that was a disaster of EPIC proportions and now "Slyder". I had not even looked at one frame of the "Sankey Hype Machine" videos about "Slyder". Then I checked out this thread and started saying to myself, "No way, not even Jay would have cajones big enough to release one of the effects from "Bending The Real" just a few short months later as a stand alone release!" So I checked out the videos and I have to tell you, it sure appears to be exactly what he is doing!!! This sure looks like "Remote Control" from "Bending The Real". So, let me get this straight, you are going to release one of the average at best effects from "BTR", one of the few that were not from previous releases that didn't absolutely blow (and not your mind!!!) by itself mere weeks later AND charge $40.00 for it??!! If this is the case, I have now officially lost all respect for Jay Sankey and I used to be a fan. After "BTR", I was a highly annoyed fan but still a fan. After reading how he handled the whole "BABOM" fiasco and the rude and dishonest way the people who got suckered into that one were treated, I was no longer a true fan. If "Slyder" is just "Remote Control" dressed up with a fancy "Roy Kueppers produced" paper clip included that costs MORE than the entire P.O.S. that was "Bending The Real" costs, then I have now lost all respect...period. I guess we will see shortly...

Hank
Wonder if we're seeing the result of some late night bet he made with a buddy over an adult beverage or two. Something along the lines of "Man, I could sell sand in Saudi Arabia! I bet I could go to Staples, buy a load of rubber bands, then sell them for $1 each to magicians. I'll tell them they're 'perfect' for their rubber band effects. Oh no, wait... this is even better... I'm the 'Paperclipped' guy, so I'm going to sell them paperclips for $20. Heck, I'll bet you I could sell them for $40." [Friend:] "Hah! You're the MAN, Jay... but I'll believe it when I see it..."

Or maybe this is a great prop with a bunch of interesting handlings on a DVD.

Which Jay Sankey will show up?
I recommend you guys to see this video
to understand a little bit more about the history of the effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB2-Lj6wC4A

And this to understand
what it is for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTZW6jAgok4

Each 'SLYDER' gimmick is hand-made by Roy Kueppers
And comes with a DVD full of routines!
there's no way this to be cheap and should not be so cheap (we have to give more value to magic products!)

This looks like a worker for me
It looks to me like Jay said Slyder is $15. It's the preorder package, which comes with the extra gimmick and other effects, that will be $40. Maybe I misinterpreted, but that was the impression I got from the video.

In any case, not for me.

Kevin
[quote]
On 2011-07-28 06:35, Mercury52 wrote:
It looks to me like Jay said Slyder is $15. It's the preorder package, which comes with the extra gimmick and other effects, that will be $40. Maybe I misinterpreted, but that was the impression I got from the video.

In any case, not for me.

Kevin
[/quote]

Yeah I got that too! will wait for a proper review before I purchase this one,

Thanks

Dean
I'm sure this is simply a way to hide information written on a billet. correct me if I'm wrong
I think I know exactly what this is. You guys remember PSI Series 2 - Word of the Ring? A ring is moved around a book, user says stop, and then the word inside there matches his prediction. Looks like Jay duplicated it with a paperclip. That's why it's so large - so you can see a word or two from one paperclip edge to the next.

If so, this would be great to have. The only downside being the magazine/bill, whatever is not 100% examinable afterwards.
Yup
[quote]
On 2011-07-28 10:00, DougNicols wrote:
I think I know exactly what this is. You guys remember PSI Series 2 - Word of the Ring? A ring is moved around a book, user says stop, and then the word inside there matches his prediction. Looks like Jay duplicated it with a paperclip. That's why it's so large - so you can see a word or two from one paperclip edge to the next.

If so, this would be great to have. The only downside being the magazine/bill, whatever is not 100% examinable afterwards.
[/quote]

Agreed.

Lloyd
Iv just been reading round this idea and came across the Word of the ring from Banachek , which was also similar to Max Mavens Isolation Gimmick, now I have no personal knowledge of ever of these, but from reading around it seems that Jays Slyder could be similar though I may be wrong.

Dean
Just saw the video... The bonus notes are $15 value each 3 booklets = $45 plus two gimmicks... Pre-order price $40.
More info:

http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48457
Eddie Fields once told me he was able to sell blank pieces of paper to college students for $1 a piece. Obviously some people can be sold anything if the marketing is good enough. One of the most successful direct mail campaigns--according to a sales course I once took-- was sent out by an Evangelist to his mailing list. It said, simply: "Send money immediately. Will explain later."
[quote]
On 2011-07-28 04:28, EmersonRodriguez wrote:

Each 'SLYDER' gimmick is hand-made by Roy Kueppers
And comes with a DVD full of routines!
[/quote]

I see no mention of a DVD, not even one full of routines :)
'GOING GAGA.' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91RonPBPj1k
If Slyder is what I think it is, it essentially appears as one of the opening effects in a very well regarded 1999 book by a famous mentalist / magician (search your libraries, as I'm not about to expose it here in an open forum). I'm curious how the business end of this works, whether that author will receive credit (or any royalties, if appropriate). But that is not really any of my business, besides which I suppose we'll find out soon enough once Slyder is released and reviewed.

But if Slyder is what I think it is, then from the description it is ABSOLUTELY an improvement on the original. Its design should make the 'work' MUCH easier to put in. Props to Sankey for thinking up the improvement, if that is what he did.

Otherwise, I'm going to produce and market my idea myself. :)
Banachek published an awesome improvement on this principle in an issue of Reel Magic Magazine.
Pulp Fiction was the one that broke the Sankey spell for me- man that was terrible. You find them all over for sale for next to nothing, because that is what they are worth! The shame of it is that Jay has produced some really excellent material- Lots of ideas, clever gimmicks (Killer Key is still one of my favorite), good basic training material for newbies about presentation, handling, etc. Some of his mentalism DVD's are jammed with great material and ideas, loads of suggestions on how to manage the audience, and are well worth the money I paid for them. I learned a lot from his material, and still go back to it. But the last few years, I have to admit, it's all just hyped up nonsense. After Pulp Fiction I don't buy the hype...

One man's opinion...
BTW the book I was talking about is from 1999, but the effect in question was apparently written up and / or first published in 1977.
Man... bummer to hear all this bad publicity... I have a lot of his effects/dvd's... I did purchase the earplugs and was terribly disappointed in the earplugs... they aren't even usable... maybe for a drunk chick at best. I perform sponge ball effects a lot so you know I'm not just flapping my gums on this.
Yup... exactly what I thought.... I do not see at all what is new here....
I'm gonna go against the flow here and suggest that anyone who has used the "traditional" material for these effects (and I sure have) knows exactly the benefits of this product just by looking at it.

$45 is steep no doubt.

But there are a couple of routines what could possibly make this a worthwhile investment.

I'll do it the old-fashioned way, just because I wasted all that time trying to get it right.

d
Is this similar to MAGICIANS BOOKMARK that was offered by House of Enchantment a few years back? Not sure but it may belong to Jay Leslie. There was also another effect along the same lines that was also done with a large paper-clip. It was more limited in effect than the aforementioned BOOKMARK.
[quote]
On 2011-07-29 11:48, dmoses wrote:
I'm gonna go against the flow here and suggest that anyone who has used the "traditional" material for these effects (and I sure have) knows exactly the benefits of this product just by looking at it.

$45 is steep no doubt.

But there are a couple of routines what could possibly make this a worthwhile investment.

I'll do it the old-fashioned way, just because I wasted all that time trying to get it right.

d
[/quote]

$45 steep ?

Its a precision made paper clip for gods sakes !!!

They could charge 3 times the amount etc etc etc :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8U2mCgYa7Y&NR=1

Another interesting demo--- I'm not sure what this one is selling to be honest as it doesn't appear to using any kind of gimmick ?

In fact in card terms it would just appear to be a classic f*rce
$40 to sell a "perfect" version of a gimmick others have already published about and released as parts of other tricks is ridiculous. But - hey - if he has buyers... I have made and experimented with the very principle this is - had ZERO problem making the gimmick, having it completely in full view, having it "durable" etc.

Me thinks Jay is either selling ice to eskimo's or hasn't really done much due diligence. It would be VERY interesting to see if he ends up crediting guys like Barry Richardson in this final product. If he isn't done editing yet - maybe he will!

I used to have so much respect for Jay. The days of Sankey Pankey, etc... were AMAZING. INSANELY good material put forth by a great performer. Not sure where he "fell off", but man - this really hurts to watch the hype machine knowing what he once was. It was quite disheartening to listen to his recent Magic Newswire interview. I didn't know if he was trying to "put one over", was really just a depressed/frustrated artist, or was really trying to believe in the various concepts (and their blatant contradictions) he was attempting to share.
I challenge any one not to make a gimmick up the deows the same job...
[quote]
On 2011-07-29 19:27, Alan Rorrison wrote:
I challenge any one not to make a gimmick up the deows the same job...
[/quote]

What?
Does*... mate this is in no way new. not one thought in this is new at all
I'm done with the hype, he has lost a customer. I won't be buying anymore of his stuff. I'm done.
Un rouded or flat paper claps are available everywhere. Ive not found a stationary shop in scotland yet that dosnt sell them...
From bending the real... I'll wait...
OK, just playing the devils advocate here, not defending anyone, just thinking aloud. Perhaps there is too much attention on the prop. Maybe its the routine's and creative ideas that you can achieve with a paper clip that's worth the investment. He has put out some clever stuff in the past but sadly also clangers of recent.
[quote]
On 2011-07-30 06:04, Alan Rorrison wrote:
Un rouded or flat paper claps are available everywhere. Ive not found a stationary shop in scotland yet that dosnt sell them...
[/quote]

Interesting- never saw them here in the US, but then again- I'm not a paper clip connoisseur by any stretch.
BTW, Alan- cool performance on P&T Fool Us.
Hey Guys,
Hope you are all having a great day. Between spending time with my awesome wife Lisa and my two beautiful kids, performing at gigs, working on creative projects (and trying to get to the gym!) it has been a long time since I posted anything on the Café. And unfortunately, it still seems to be, largely, a place where people who -for the most part- have created very little, feel safe to criticize people who have created quite a lot. Stikes me as a strange way to spend your time, and I just don't see how it can be bringing many of you much joy or insight. But hey, 'each to his own' right?

As for 'SLYDER,' response has been OVER THE TOP. Thanks to the many of you who share my excitement about it. We've received HUNDREDS of pre-orders and even though we are no longer including all the bonus stuff, orders are STILL pouring-in. As for the clips themselves, they are most definitely NOT 'ordinary
clips.' Each hand-crafted clip is custom-designed to make the very most of a very versatile and extremely deceptive principle. Second, including 2 booklets, a second hand-crafted clip AND a bonus trick ('Private Property') with the 'SLYDER' pre-orders, all for JUST $40 was a GREAT deal. Killer value. I know it, and the hundreds of excited people who ordered 'SLYDER' know it too.

Thx for reading these words, and if you would like to get in touch with me directly, please send an email to contact@sankeymagic.com. Unlike far too many people in our community, I still personally answer the vast majority of my own emails because I don't take fans of my work for granted. Never have, never will. I sure hope you all have a nice day. Sincerely, Jay
Well I have to say that the second demo with the bill looked pretty ordinary.

You'd virtually stopped the paper clip on the chosen number before your spectator told you to.

Tou then asked the spec to turn their hand over to reveal...er nothing.

Then showed a pen written number scrawled on your own hand.

All the impact of being hit with a wet fish I'm afraid.

You're creativity is something to be hugely admired--- you're quality control around what is really a worthwhile effect to publisg is somewhat lacking though if you don't mind me saying.
Cheers bud... I needed flat paper clips for another effect I had been toying with and found them really easy to get. A lot of the bigger offices favor them as they do not mark the top edge of there documents too much.
On a side note. Even thought Im not even close to being sold on this product etc. I still respect the fact that jay has taken the time to come on and try and get through some of the questions. ALOT of creators don't even do this so kudos on that
Ah good point. I stand corrected
Will this work on foxes and/or badgers?
I have no idea what all the hubbub is about, because I think that Jay's newest offering is worth its weight in gold. Without going into any detail, out of respect for those who perform such routines, there are more than a few professional level entertainers who use during their shows (or even close their stand up/stage shows) routines using the principle behind the "Slyder" gimmick.

I'd say the price was too high if the gimmick was mass-produced in some third world country by unskilled workers using shoddy materials. But seeing how these are made of high quality steel by a well-known master craftsman from our close-knit community, to me the price is a bargain even if there weren't any routines included. Personally I'd rather spend a bit more to ensure that the proper quality control measures were taken into account. It's like the old adage goes: pros can't afford cheap props. Kudos to Jay for working out the one subtle (but all important) detail that has always bugged me about using such a gimmick in one of my mentalism routines.

Best,
MJ
I hear people talking about how this was on a video in the 90s or so, but really, the idea of the gimmick is rooted (at least) as far back as Anneman. Just for what it's worth. This is way way old. But still fun.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Jul 31, 2011 08:10PM)
I haven't got a clue why my post was removed, but it's no wonder people constantly rebel against the Café. I was merely calling out an individual who sent me an uninitiated and unnecessary attack in this thread. I don't appreciate being called a mouthpiece. I have my own voice and my own opinions.

A lot of the people here who seem to have issues with Slyder just seem to have issues with Sankey. You may not be a Sankey fan, but I bet if another magician or mentalist released Slyder you might not be so quick to jump on the hater bandwagon. I personally think it looks very useable, and with a booklet of 25 ideas it sounds like you're getting your money's worth. Will I use it? Not likely, as I'm almost strictly cards nowadays, but I see huge potential.
This is the gimmick I thought it was way back when I posted on the first page. And I still stand by what I said there, that while the idea may not be new what Jay comes up with surely will be.

Second, Id like to point out that while this looks like an ordinary paperclip, it most certainly isn't. I have seen flat clips, and clips of various sizes etc. But I don't think I have ever seen one quite like this. It has an extra sturdiness thanks to the 16(?) guage steel and will withstand lots more bending and flexing versus and ordinary clips. Its flat to allow you more surface area for dirty work, and the flatness will help as you slide it around the object you attached it to. And lastly, its a bit oversized so you have more, shall I say, leeway with the size of your force object(s).

I have played around with this idea before and never connected the dots to get a paperclip made like this to make this idea just a bit more practical. This is the difference between a pro and a hobbyist. The small nuances that take the idea a bit further and make the job a bit easier are what the hobbyist can never quite appreciate.

I say kudos to Jay and I hope he sells a ton of them.
[quote]
On 2011-07-31 17:51, Alan Rorrison wrote:
[/quote]

Hmm.. seems that the "point" Alan was responding to was deleted.
I ordered, and for good reasons, in my own mind.

#1 I love versatility, and the freedom to create many routines with a single prop. And I can see that Slyder has a truck load of possibilities. I loved his "Insider" ( http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=424678&forum=109&0# ) for that reason, and I think I'm going to be happy with this, too.

I guess I just like the idea of something so small that it takes only an inch of space in your pocket or wallet, yet has a world of possibilities, and is ALWAYS ready to rock on a moment's notice, That is what turned me on to this. Plus, Jay is including TWO Slyders and the bonus material. That's a good deal, to me.
[quote]
On 2011-08-01 00:46, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-07-31 17:51, Alan Rorrison wrote:
[/quote]

Hmm.. seems that the "point" Alan was responding to was deleted.
[/quote]

My point was about the somewhat aggressive tone of Mr Sankey's original post and since that has been toned down then no harm no foul .
Has anyone actually SEEN one yet? This product has been thrashed because... of what it might be? Because of marketing hype?
Probably.
[quote]
On 2011-07-27 16:54, mayniac wrote:
Jay's hype is SO annoying...it's a freaking paperclip.
[/quote]

But he is a great salesman. Goes nicely with his mentalism material. :cool:
Well this is a bit ridiculous. 3 pages of Sankey bashing and not a single user review. No one owns this, and yet you're all just slamming the guy's work because of... what? I've been a Sankey fan since I was 14 years old, and own probably 100 products. No, not every single project of his has been gold. But his great projects are SO great, they easily outweigh a few duds along the way.

And more importantly, even if you could get a paperclip to these exacting specifications on your own (which you can't), the $40 you're paying is mostly for the routines themselves. Who's to say that the effects and presentations themselves aren't worth the price? None of you bashers, because you don't own it.

As with anything, if this doesn't look like it's for you, don't buy it! If it does, do so. If you're not sure, wait for legitimate reviews. I'm the first to admit that the hype has become a little absurd, but so what? Sankey is Sankey doing what Sankey does. He's a little absurd. And most of the time, the magic community has reaped the reward for putting up with his absurdity, or rather, [i]because[/i] of his absurdity.
I just received mine yesterday. To put this in perspective, I'm generally a kid's performer; the most in-depth I've ever gotten with mentalism was Fearson's Aces and Twisted Sister. But I do want to be a bit more rounded. and this sounded like a good deal, so I went for it. It's not the first Sankey product I've bought, but I generally don't buy a lot of Sankey because I'm not cards and close-up.

In the package: two Slyder gimmicks, a booklet of ideas, the complete "Private Property" trick, Sankey's "Out of My Mind" booklet, and an unannounced free gift. In terms of value for all the items I received, this was well worth it.

The Slyder clip is exactly as Jay has described: bigger, flat wire, dull finish. Like he said, it looks like something you'd pick up off the ground. We're always getting slammed for using something that screams "magic prop!!"; Slyder is *not* going to do that!

One of the greatest values to me (maybe not to you, though), is all the explanations of how Jay thinks through what he does and how he does it. Yes, the use of Slyder is a bit limited to certain applications. Many Sankey products are like this: one-trick gimmicks and decks. Jay does go into some length to give you several different ways you can maneuver within the limited application of the clip. And he gives you some of the small details that really can make a routine work better than just "you thought of this, right?". His energy and excitement bleed through on this (so if someone getting excited about a paper clip bothers you, don't get this!).

No, I haven't actually had a chance to set it up and play with it, much less perform with it, since I just got it yesterday. I'll mess with it more this weekend. Yes, it's got one basic use. But that one use can be applied in several different ways. I'll pick one or three and concentrate on those. It might even be worth getting a couple more of these, just to be ready for different situations.

Ed
I ordered as soon as it was released, but mine is yet to arrive. Mailman must be slower in different parts of the country.
Mine finally arrived today! I'm a happy camper. The booklet has literally dozens of Slyder routines that will keep me busy for a long time, PLUS Jay threw in a bunch of extra goodies!

I am way beyond pleased with what I received.
[quote]
On 2011-07-28 22:05, 723sabre wrote:
...(Killer Key is still one of my favorite) ...[/quote]
I like Killer Key, too. A friend of mine sent Killer Key to Ken deCourcy (now deceased), and Ken said it was similar to something Supreme Magic once sold.

Bobby
I believe that was called "Key Kaboodle" or something like that.

-Ron
In Sankey's Demo video he tells you and shows you that it is an ordinary paperclip that has been made to exacting standards. He says that the principle it uses is an old one that he has played with before.

He then releases two demos that clearly show the gimmick in use from beginning to end with no cuts.

This is exactly what people are always screaming they want in a demo.

He has every right to be enthusiastic. I hope he sells a million.
I have them, I was a bit tiddly one night and ordered it...they came, and are fine quality...he states you need to make a couple of small alterations/preparations to the clip(s)...

they are well made, they do the job as advertised...its usage has been around for decades and decades and decades...

the clips have no extra functions compared to a standard one...they just work a bit better...
Can anyone provide some sources of effects using this gimmick/principle? I know its an old idea but I'm hoping Jay or someone provides some more routines beyond the booklet and 2 youtube effects.

Also, I'd just like to let everyone know I wrote a small complaint to sankey magic because my order only arrived with 1 slyder (supposed to have 2). They apologized and immediately sent me not only the missing slyder, but an extra one as well. GREAT customer service.
Once again Michael's post disappears like magic.
[quote]
On 2011-09-28 01:52, MeetMagicMike wrote:
In Sankey's Demo video he tells you and shows you that it is an ordinary paperclip that has been made to exacting standards. He says that the principle it uses is an old one that he has played with before.

He then releases two demos that clearly show the gimmick in use from beginning to end with no cuts.

This is exactly what people are always screaming they want in a demo.

He has every right to be enthusiastic. I hope he sells a million.
[/quote]

On the other hand if it sells a million then that says there are a lot of magicians out there who haven't really done a lot of historical research and so are ripe for being re-sold the same old tat under a new name.

But also if it sells a million there are a load of magicians out there who need to be spoon fed the simplest of ideas because they can't come up with it themselves.
Well, I just now received my Slyder after Jay sent it to me a few times, and it got lost in the mail, I guess. In typical Sankey style, he personally emailed me back and even called me to personally apologize! He then had a courier deliver the package to me the very next day, which was yesterday. As usual, Jay is #1 in my books . . .
[quote]
On 2011-10-13 22:00, theboywonder wrote:
Well, I just now received my Slyder after Jay sent it to me a few times, and it got lost in the mail, I guess. In typical Sankey style, he personally emailed me back and even called me to personally apologize! He then had a courier deliver the package to me the very next day, which was yesterday. As usual, Jay is #1 in my books . . .
[/quote]

Typical Sankey style? It took me a few weeks and a few emails for something I pre-ordered to get sent to me. I just got told to keep waiting and it should show up. When I finally told them to give me a refund or send me another right away they finally sent it. And I requested priority mail since I had waited so long but I guess they didn't feel that was necessary. I guess we have different books...
Don't judge a book by it's cover . . . ;-)
Hey guys,
Jay and others say that you will need to make an adjustment at home for this. Is this something I can do while aways and not able to attain items easily. For example, if I needed some Super Glue (not for this of course!), I can't go to the local ACE store and pick it up. I would have to order it and wait weeks...

I tried e-mailing Jay, but didn't get a response back. Our e-mail sometimes gets screwy. I am sure they didn't see it, or something.

I just thought I would ask on here as well.

As far as a lot of people not liking the idea of this, it is their right to not like it. For me; I have no issues with Jay bringing to the present effects from the past. And for Roy to assist in this says it is of good quality. Yes, I know it is a paperclip so please don't remind me.

How many "Sponge Balls" Dvd's, packages have come out since their "invention"?
How many silk changing routines, devices, ect.?

I just ordered Tarbell 1-3. I bet I will find some stuff in there that has been sold as something "new" recently. I am excited to see what gems I can find in these.

Anyone want to buy my new invention: "The Phantom of the Card". You will change a white backed card to a deep blue color backed card with empty hands.
I am joking.. My dry sense of humor, stinks. :)

Bottom-line: Jay has done a TON for magic. Some hate him, some love him. But you have to agree that he is a huge part of magic today and IMHO has helped keep the "Magic" going.

For those that don't like all the hype and have been "burned", I fully respect you and understand if you don't buy his products anymore. Your right to buy what YOU want.

Yes, I know I can (and will) e-mail him again.

Please PM me if you want.

Thanks for reading my long and non-focused post.

Anyone want to buy my "Phantoom of the Card" for $40?
BTW: Phantom of the Card is not to be confused with "Phantom of the Wallet"! :)

Mike
Slyder is a great item if you use your imagination. Here's a effect I do with it, heck it might even be in the routines booklet but to be honest I didn't read a lot of them as I had my own ideas for what I wanted to do with it.
Anyways here's a idea Ive been working with for a group of people.

I show the spectators a strip of paper with a paperclip on it and explain that there is list on the my side of the paper, but right Im not going to show them it as someone here going to make a prediction and don't want them to think Ive influence them. I choose a spec and tell them Im going to use the paper clip as a marker as I move down and please say stop.... maybe when you feel something.... or you just think its time to stop.

They do..I ask are you sure you can move on if you wish. They say yes or no. I tell them to hold there hand out flat and we'll leave there prediction face down on there hand for right now. I ask if anyone has a loonie (in canada we have a one dollar coin called a loonie). I put specs 2 coin in my hand and say I want everyone here to get a good look come close, the date on this coin this coin is 1972.... I slowly look at the strip of paper on the spec hand and turn it over and show everyone out of a list starting from the 1950's till now they predicted the date on the coin! 1972!

Now I did have one guy ask well what if the coin was made before 1950's and I told him the honest truth the chances of some one carrying a coin in there pocket from before the 1950's is very rare.

Im not sure from my description but this doesn't take as much time as it sound it actually has a really nice flow and amount of time at least with how I present it.

Anyways now think of what just happened here. The spectators have did all the magic.... in there minds. that's what I love about something like this.
The first spectator said stop 100% on there own. Another spectator gave me a coin of there own. Even with all that the spectators prediction of the date was right!

Since I received mine Ive been doing this routine solid and it been getting amazing reactions.... People every time have been speechless..they just cant believe what happened.

Jay has given us a rare opportunity to just let the magic happen. If you use your imagination with device and stop your own thoughts from limiting you...this will be something you always carry with you!
You know it funny how you don't notice things till you right them down. Now even though no ones called me on it. Loonie was even made in the 50's hahahaha so Ive change this to asking a spectator for a quarter. But as I said no one has ever called me on it and Ive been doing it alot, I rather use a quarter because of this.
What I love about Jay's work: he's made a lot of great things! Paperclipped, Insider, Extremely Mental, etc.
What I hate about Jay's work: the hype! I was following him on Twitter and Facebook so I could get all the informations about new releases, but
in EVERY single post he would use CAPS LOCK, which was irritating me so I unfollowed him. It's okay to use it the first time you advertise something, but always?
This brought me to the conclusion that Jay has probably taken NLP classes in order to sell his products better. I don't blame him, but if you don't have anything good to sell, then don't market it.
However I respect Jay cause I can't forget all the great things he has made and BABOM was a great offer, if I had money and opportunity I would've gotten myself one.
[quote]
On 2011-12-03 18:46, stefo wrote:
What I love about Jay's work: he's made a lot of great things! Paperclipped, Insider, Extremely Mental, etc.
What I hate about Jay's work: the hype! I was following him on Twitter and Facebook so I could get all the informations about new releases, but
in EVERY single post he would use CAPS LOCK, which was irritating me so I unfollowed him. It's okay to use it the first time you advertise something, but always?
This brought me to the conclusion that Jay has probably taken NLP classes in order to sell his products better. I don't blame him, but if you don't have anything good to sell, then don't market it.
[/quote]

I just recently got this and must say this is one item that lives up to the hype. I knew what it was, but it really is awesome. You really cannot see the gimmick and it is made very nice.

Steve
I probably won't be buying Slyder as I have so many things to amaze with which is what it all comes down to, just another prop and/or gimmick to do another piece of amazement. But I feel even $40 isn't a bad deal at all for a well made item that can guarantee success and all us magicians hate being laughed at because of a mess up. We've all been there at one time or another and know the pain. I like Jay and think he's a total hyper-head that would make a great salesman on an infomercial but really has a creative side to magic performance that goes way outside the box. For a mentalist, Slyder could be a great prop to have, in my opinion.
What a great way to pull off a random number generated, for acaan. This may be old but it seems the gimic is improved to make the effect worth looking at. Sankey usaly has good ideas with very effect.
See my use for this down below ;)
MichalMystic, that's a nice routine you came up with using the borrowed coin. A couple of different layers of deception going on there. Almost makes me want to order one of these Slyder gimmicks someday.
I think it's funny that people are bashing Jay before owning this and saying its "just a paper clip" yet will spend hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars on 3 cups.
[quote]
On 2012-03-28 16:15, ixnay66 wrote:
I think it's funny that people are bashing Jay before owning this and saying its "just a paper clip" yet will spend hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars on 3 cups.
[/quote]

I agree. It's a pretty interesting thing, and somewhat disappointing, to see all this bashing page after page. Perhaps people are buying other ideas and not just an improvement on a gimmick... You obviously get a DVD and some extras. For Gods sake, how many freaking DVDs and books discuss a deck of cards? You do not hear people complaining, "Oh, it just uses a deck of cards." "The first deck of cards was printed in… it's not new." I see very little respect being thrown around and quite frankly this is why numerous creative people stop coming here. If this product or Jay is not for you, what's accomplished by discouraging those who might not have had the experience or familiarity of similar effects? Some of the comments and direction verge on bullying and smearing Jay and each other… and it appears as if several have been removed. I don't get it. I happen to be on Jay's site to mention a glitch in an idea and saw this product which led me here. I had interest in the paper clip as I dabble in mentalism and even the tinniest improvement on something like this is worth it at times. Then I read pages and pages of garbage... and am now feeling somewhat obligated to add more. Sorry about that... but it's like seeing someone talk on the cell phone in a movie and ignoring it. Something just seems wrong about it. Jay appears to be creative as they come. I wish we had more like him around.

The Magic Café Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's Slyder

Seems to be interpreted as:

The Magic Café Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest Complaints? » » Jay Sankey
Ixnay66, Rich Ferguson, well said!

I don't have this, but have other Sankey material and enjoy and use it. He did a great Penguin Live lecture recently.

Rich, thanks for counter balancing some of the meanness.
Jay is selling this now for $14.95 and I think I will get it. Despite all the negative posts here it seems that everyone that actually bought it is happy if not very happy with it. With the reduction in price I think it is worth a try. Plus I have been very happy with many other Sankey products in the past.
Is the slyder on a dvd explanation, Should I buy it, I am just putting some close up work together,
"SLYDER comes complete with TWO of the specially-machined, custom-design paperclips + 45 minute tutorial video."

You'll get a link to a private YouTube video, not a DVD.

Jay has done a great job with his recent YouTube videos, such as Holy Moly, Grand Opening and many others.

If you don't want to have to be on-line to watch the videos, there are many ways to download the video.

Dave
Hi. The Slyder is no longer in the Sankey's website from weeks... Do somebody know can I order it from somewhere?
Dennys Magic

http://dennymagic.com/store/slyder-by-sankey-magic-trick.html
Thanks!
Sankey himself has some more of these back in stock now.