(Close Window)
Topic: The Red Silk Mystery by Whit Haydn
Does anyone know if Whit Haydn's "The Red Silk Mystery" is available for purchase anywhere?
On this very forum, some time back, he has said his handling comes right out of Rice's Silk Encyclopedia.

-Patrick
It does indeed. It can be found in Volume 3 under the title (I think) "Rice's Sucker Egg to Silk." I use the same handling.
Rice actually sold their Silk to Egg with the Harold Sterling Egg back in the 1960's, with silks and routine.

[b]I have an offer from now until Sunday night at midnight. Any Café member that would like the Rice Routine only, can PM me their email address and I will send them a copy of the original routine in PDF format.[/b]

Don't worry, I don't keep the email addresses, so you will not hear from me, unless you would like to thank me for this offer. No strings attached, I am just a nice guy.

Posted: Jul 30, 2011 2:43am
Copies are running low, better hurry, only 32 hours left.
Thank you very much Bill,

You're very kind. Just got the PDF file and starting to study it.

Thank you very much again.

Oliver.
Thanks for mine, a very nice gesture!!!
Bill,

Sent you a PM

Thank you,

David
Bill,

PM sent.

Thanks
Nice effect, nice gift.
Thanks for sending it.
Thanks Bill.
I must stress that these directions as with all directions from years ago, do not include the proper body movement and showmanship that is so important to this effect to make it a 'killer' trick. It took me years, and the Chavez Course to make me aware of proper display and showmanship tricks require to pull the applause in from the audience.

I hope you all enjoy this version and will give it try, with the props in hand.
Thank you Bill

David
Only [b]24 hours left[/b] until the offer is over. I am becoming aware how many magicians are actually on the Café. Very interesting indeed.
Thanks Bill. Very kind of you.

-Ron
Thank you Bill!
Bill,

A Big Thank You!
Wmhegbli, ty for showing magicians that the "Classics of Magic" are indeed CLASSIC....and for a reason.

I too, would heartily encourage magicians interested in "all things silk" to invest in Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic....mine are treasures to me....and the illustrations by Francis Martineau are simply magnificent.
Time has now expired, sorry that only a few real magicians took me up on this offer. Even if you don't use this exact handling, it is always good to know of other ways of doing a trick to help you think and be more creative.
Anyone invest in this comprehensive version?
Looks interesting, anyone have it and care to comment?
Is the egg supplied any good, meaning well made without a seam?

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=TA2065&keyword=EGG
Bill:

That looks interesting....

My standard worker set and backup is a Viking Deluxe set, and the Stodare egg it comes with is just lovely, no seam, right weight and egg surface texture.

I'll see Bob Sanders this week in Colon and look at his Walk-Around set with brown Eggs and his dropper, too.

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 12:48am
Btw.......for what it's worth...I just realized....I HAVE A LOT OF EGGS!.....<with my egg bags, old and new gimmics, etc.>

Guess a magician can't have too many eggs, huh?
Rick,

That was in August! So what do you think now?

Bob
Bob,

After seeing your Walkaround Silk to egg and 20th Century set/egg dropper combo deal..........and seeing your brown eggs, I have two comments:

1. The combo deal you offer is simply the best deal on the market and can't be beat. For those who hesitated on Bob's deal...........just buy it.......best deal around....
2. The brown eggs are really nice, especially for close-up walkaround situations. In my opinion, the brown egg can be a real "throw off" item as they look so real they couldn't possibly be fake, right?

I have several parlor shows now til the end of the month and, as many magicians tend to do, I stick to my tried and true stuff for parlor shows, and that specifically includes a white egg for the Stodare egg trick when I perform in parlor and stage situations.

I also think that being booked on the same show with Johnny Thompson and Jeff Hobson was a pretty nice deal for me. Bob, you missed one Hell of a Magic Convention here in Green Bay last month~!!!
BTW. I use 24" 5 momme silks and a Jumbo Tirofog egg that I have reinforced inside with a thin layer of Rock Hard Water Putty and a flat white lacquer base paint. This makes the egg almost invulnerable, even to dropping on a hard surface.
What I love about the sharing is the technical side of the art. It may not be rocket science, but it has its own engineering and physics. Pop... Thanks for sharing.
Greetings and Salutations,

I have created an amalgam, still in the works, combining bits from Rice, knowing that's where Whit started, combined with William's fine offering, and then topping it all off with Bob Sanders excellent handling to create a routine that's coming together nicely. I am now looking at Cody Fisher's Silk 2 Egg, where your audience volunteer's "egg" becomes a real egg. It's an amazing bit of timing and audience management, but I think it will work a treat!

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses