(Close Window)
Topic: Note by Matt Sconce
Here is the ad copy:

Finally, there is a word to body effect that is not only simple to do but is virtually impromptu. Matt Sconce and Paper Crane present "Note".
Note is a rare effect in the world of magic products. It's not often that buyers have the opportunity to get an effect that is not only a TV caliber magic effect but also has the practicality of the simplest impromptu card effect. Note is portable, packs flat, is easy to do, is virtually impromptu, and is magic effect that you will be doing in just about every situation.
Note is easy to do, requires no lengthy arts & crafts time, and can be performed at a moment's notice. When you learn the extremely clever method to Note YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE HOW PRACTICAL IT IS.

With Note you can make any message, word, card, shape or drawing appear on the spectators body.
This is not like other methods where the set up is difficult and can be impractical for everyday use.
Note is something that you can do within minutes of opening the package, IT'S JUST THAT EASY.
Included in this instructional DVD is the gimmick to make all this happen. Also, Robert Smith walks you through this amazing effect with applications and routines to get you going immediately after watching the video.

Be prepared to blow people's minds with Note!

http://www.papercranemagic.com/note.htm
R U kidding me? This looks insane!
Matt's product as are always rock solid! This is a no brainer to buy.
James
SO how is this different from Tagged By Richard Ferguson. To me Tagged looks better.

http://www.ellusionist.com/tagged-by-rich-ferguson.html
Way different. The main difference is the gimmicked used and the possibility of doing this with any word or card or shape, whatever. Paper Crane supplies the gimmick so you don't have to build anything. Sure the effect is good but the real strength in this product as far as the magician is concerned is it's ease of execution and the extreme practicality of the gimmick.
I have a couple of questions:
1. How fast is reset? Could I immediately put the same, or a different word, on somebody else?
2. How long can the word be?
3. What kind of refills are required, and how often?
4. Could I walk around and, throughout the night, put a certain word on a group of people? (For a f**ce, where everyone finds that they have the word on their arm.)

Thanks, this looks great!
I have now seen it, and it is incredibly practical!

This is TAGGED on steroids!
Great questions TTrushin. Can anyone answer?
You can perform this many times throughout the night. You can use this with any word because the very innocent looking set up for this is something you can do right in front of the spectator.

In plain English I will give my reason for why I love this method, Note is the type of effect David Blaine or Criss Angel would do on a TV special. As magicians we know that an effect like Note has some pain in the butt set-up or some type of stooge involved in order to create the effect that we eventually see on TV. With NOTE non of this is true. There is no insane amount of set-up or stooge or anything that would make a magician not want to perform this effect. Like it has been said before what makes Note different is that it is PRACTICAL both for the magician who performs for family and friends(which is most of us) and for a pro.
[quote]
On 2011-07-28 07:50, TTrushin wrote:
1. How fast is reset? Could I immediately put the same, or a different word, on somebody else?
4. Could I walk around and, throughout the night, put a certain word on a group of people? (For a f**ce, where everyone finds that they have the word on their arm.)

[/quote]
Looks like the ending of Exile, only moved up their arm (easily done with the Tagged intro method).
So far, so good. Just looks awesome. Wish I could see the entire effect though from beginning to end.

Decomp
Ok, please TRUST ME, if I recommend you this, is because it is one of the best ideas I have seen in a lot of time!

This is pure genius!

Practical, easy and extremely versatile.

IMO it is impossible for someone to don't love it, I am very excited (as you can see) with this idea.

I have constructed the gimmick in less than 10 seconds.
Just wondering what type of ink this uses? not sure I like the idea of having the spectator end up with pen ink on their arms.
You will have no problem at all.

:)
Wow. I've been performing Tagged and variants thereof for quite a while and this is truly a practical solution
to a lot of the issues with preparation and much like Tagged the DVD/Download offers many suggestions for obtaining
or forcing information. Very practical.
[quote]
On 2011-07-28 07:50, TTrushin wrote:

[/quote]
OK let me answer those question.
Resets in seconds if you need it to happen, yes you can do different words or put the same word as many times it depends on your creativity I guess.
The word can be long or short.
The gimmick should last for a very long time and getting refills are as easy as buying milk(there everywhere).
Yes you can put words on a lot of people, if you want.

Long story short, ITS EASY ITS PRACTICAL AND ITS SOMETHING YOU WILL DO.

I know when I see a demo like this and see the impossibility of an effect like this I think that there is no way it's a doable effect for the real world. But this is different and you wont be disappointed with the method.
I cant believe they got marky mark to be in the demo
I remember seeing a demo that Matt put out a few years ago, where he successfully marked every person in a classroom without them knowing it. This was shortly before "Tagged" had been released.

I got Tagged, but I never wound up using it, because I didn't feel like it really met my needs for ease-of-use and simplicity.

I've never met Matt, but I do know that he's a clever guy. I'm sure he's continued to refine his technique over the last few years. All of these positive comments about the practicality of Note have me curious to check it out.

Kevin
I was the same with Tagged. Always wanted to do it but never felt safe with it! This one sound promising though! Cant wait for the reviews!

Jamie Daws
Please everyone, TRUST ME, go for it!

I too always wanted to do Tagged but for me it was very impractical.

I purchased Note today and I have already performed it twice with amazing reactions.

For me this is my purchase of the year, use it with a book and prepare to drive people crazy!
Is there a way to make a different font or colors...the reveals look like they're written by a stick and I was just wondering about sprucing it up
You can use colors, you can create any font.
[quote]
On 2011-07-28 21:28, emyers99 wrote:
I cant believe they got marky mark to be in the demo
[/quote]

Are you kidding? Is that really him? Wasn't he one of the Menudo group?

Decomp
Ill give it an honest shout in a minute.
Ok bought, downloaded and watched.

First thoughts: Well there is some solid theory here. The method discribed to do the work WILL do it I jsut feel it has been under thought. With in 10 mintues I have a reloadable, re usable and instant way to do this right infront of them over and over if need be which I think any one could have thought of if they took the time. In saying that the instruction is good and all in all what is presented will work... Just try and think of it as a starting block..
Emeyers99 at what point in the demo is the marky mark look a like?
Alan would love to hear your idea sometime.
After Alan's and Ted's posts, it sounds like there's going to be extra's added to Note.

Note v2.0. The Rorrison Edition
Thanks for your take Alan. Looks like creative juices are flowing already.
Alan, could you share your idea in a PM?
I am really interested mate.
Ok... Tongiht I took out my addition to this and rocked it a little. when I say rocked it. I mean it fricking killed. BUT THIS but understand your buying the idea... The idea will work but there is a small gimick you can make which lets u, Load anything at any time on the person with the one gimmick.. It is worth t as long as you hit on the idea... Ill contact the folks at paper crane about it!
I was at the filming and this got some of the best reactions I have seen.
Thanks for checking out Note! Robert Smith did a great job with it on the DVD. I am excited it is finally being released and I hope you get a lot out of it. I have destroyed with this effect. As someone mentioned before, I wrote on all the arms of a room full of Junior Highers. When the reveal occured, one of the kids stood up and walked out. He later said his mind just couldn't take it because there was no explanation. I love it! Best wishes, Matt
Any other thoughts on this? Reviews died off quickly.
If you are looking for a simple and effective way to stamp/tag someone, this is it. I think it is a great purchase.
[quote]
On 2011-08-04 14:13, smacks183 wrote:
If you are looking for a simple and effective way to stamp/tag someone, this is it. I think it is a great purchase.
[/quote]

Thanks! It is the only method I use to do this because it is so simple and quick to do. I like its versatility as well. Best, Matt Sconce
Do we know if Alan's improvements have been added to the notes?
I have not heard from Paper Crane about that yet. I would send them an email to see. Best wishes and have a great time with Note! Matt Sconce
This is very simple and I'm sure many will come up with tons of ideas on their own.
Note is a modern update from something I read decades ago in the book The Discovery Of Witchcraft,but Note is miles ahead in some regards and way more organic for this day and age.
I like this alot!

Steve
[quote]
On 2011-08-04 23:43, Steve Haynes wrote:
This is very simple and I'm sure many will come up with tons of ideas on their own.
Note is a modern update from something I read decades ago in the book The Discovery Of Witchcraft,but Note is miles ahead in some regards and way more organic for this day and age.
I like this alot!

Steve
[/quote]

So glad you like it! I am excited to finally release this. Please spread the word and let me know stories and experiences you encounter with this effect. I am looking forward to hearing about them.
Meanwhile, Alan could also share his idea on request with those who can prove purchase...!
Yes please. I've been banging my head against the wall to figure out what I'm missing. Alan's description is driving me crazy
[quote]
On 2011-08-08 19:06, JosephKerr wrote:
Yes please. I've been banging my head against the wall to figure out what I'm missing. Alan's description is driving me crazy
[/quote]

You and me both Joseph!
I agree if I had alans handleing this would be a no brainer buy.
We(paper crane) would love to hear Alan's addition and pass that info on to past and future "Note" customers but it's Alan's idea and he may want to keep it for himself. With or without the addition of Alan's idea the product is still an awesome product and one that magicians will use after they buy. The nature of how simple the secret is will allow for many improvements, ideas and additions that all "Note" buyer will have. I guess what I am trying to say is that it's the kind of effect that will have people coming up with their own tweaks to suit their own style.
Very true. I would recommend it. you wull have loads of ideas with it
I remember having some talks with Matt in 2008 when Tagged was in production with E. My performance from tagged was floating around online for years (on my youtube account) and it was watching one of the performances that gave the idea to begin with. He was kind enough to contact me and discuss Phenomenon, Tagged clips he saw, etc. The method which we discussed was the first method with the simple gimmick that I used. When working with Tagged, it evolved by me adding to the basic gimmick for the purposes of directness and time management once ready to pull off the effect (those who have seen both would understand the pro's and cons here). Long story short, I'm a little surprised to see this come out although this impromptu version is not on our DVD. I have not seen Note and perhaps there have been changes and improvements but it still seems as if they would be from the idea inspired from my original effect or from the use of a similar tweak used by NBC with MIke Super on Phenomenon. The idea of tagging someone is awesome indeed and I hope it goes really well.
[quote]
On 2011-08-10 12:38, Alan Rorrison wrote:
[/quote]

If I may ask Alan, will you be sharing with papercrane or those who can prove ownership? Looking forward to it!
[quote]
On 2011-08-10 13:18, lunatik wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-08-10 12:38, Alan Rorrison wrote:
[/quote]

If I may ask Alan, will you be sharing with papercrane or those who can prove ownership? Looking forward to it!
[/quote]

I am also excited to hear about this! I am glad people have been enjoying Note!
I just noticed "Note" is the #1 bestseller at the moment at Penguin. I feel honored and I think that is a first for one of my effects. Thanks everyone! I hope you have a blast with this!
Hello guys. I have a question with this. Is the setup or the "gimmick" as big as the one in tagged?
No, not even close. This is a method that can be performed on the fly in most situations and with seconds of prep time you can stamp any word on the spectator. The setup is the easiest part of note.
Is it a one time setup, or is there a limited amount of time before you have to setup again.
You can set up as many times you want. With most other things there is a small set up required everytime which isn't instant, but who would want to instantly repeat this effect? If you really want to know how long it takes to set up again, it takes seconds.

You could even set up in front of people if you are comfortable with it. It could be done undetected. This is a very ingenius idea based on another ingenius idea which makes this a very useful tool when used properly. (I personally believe)

It is practical for table hopping, close-up, stage, strolling, etc. I don't see any limits on where you can perform this either. There is nothing big to carry with you, and set up can be done in less than a minute while walking to another table.

I also own Tagged, and while I do see simularities, I do like the improvements made by Matt that makes Tagged even more undetectable. I will probally combine the method of Note to the Tagged routine because I find the Tagged routine much stronger than those offered on the Note DVD.
Can this be used as a revelation for a center tear?
They don't teach that,but yes you can..
In fact,thats a great idea!

S
What exactly is Rich Ferguson saying? Seems he is claiming he created the impromptu method in Note.
What is that all about?
James

[quote]
On 2011-08-13 14:48, papercrane wrote:
No, not even close. This is a method that can be performed on the fly in most situations and with seconds of prep time you can stamp any word on the spectator. The setup is the easiest part of note.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2011-08-15 20:42, Xiqual wrote:
What exactly is Rich Ferguson saying? Seems he is claiming he created the impromptu method in Note.
What is that all about?
James
[/quote]
In 2008, I was doing a word to arm effect frequently and submitted my effect "Note" (Called "Whisper" at the time) to Ellusionist to see if they wanted to release it. I received no response, so I continued to use it and practice the effect that is now called "Note". A few months later, I saw Rich Ferguson was coming to the market with an effect called "Tagged" through Ellusionist. I had been discussing releasing my effect with Paper Crane Magic so, to not step on anyone's toes, I called Rich to talk about Tagged and make sure I was not releasing the same thing he was. We spoke on the phone and I told him my method for "Note". He said he was releasing a similar virtually impromptu method (with one element different than my method for "Note") along with the main method for "Tagged" on the DVD so, out of respect, I called Paper Crane and told them we would not move forward with my effect. I did not want to battle the market with a very similar effect if they were very similar in method to not detract from the profitability of Rich's "Tagged".

After "Tagged" released I saw the virtually impromptu method was never released on the DVD. I have waited 4 years to make sure I gave "Tagged" its run and not step on toes or the profitability of Rich's effect, and now I felt I could finally release "Note". It is getting great response and I am glad it can finally see the light of day. It is just one more tool we can use to create magic. I am very excited about it and hope people get a lot of it. -Matt Sconce
Hi
just one question: is it need to construct a new gimmick every time for different word??

thanks

Steven
Thanks for explaining that Matt. I appreciate both effects, and recommend folks getting both versions. Once you know how "Note" works, there are endless routines you can do with it.

Mean while Rich teaches some cool routines on Tagged that can be performed using "Note" that I recommend looking into.
[quote]
On 2011-08-15 20:34, Steve Haynes wrote:
They don't teach that,but yes you can..
In fact,thats a great idea!

S
[/quote]
Awesome. Thanks for the reply, Steve!
What is the difference between "impromptu" and "virtually impromptu?"
Impromptu means that no prep at all is needed. Virtually impromptu means that the set up is so easy or the gimmick can be found just about anywhere or even that the gimmick is something that can be stored in your card case, wallet or anywhere else that can always be on you. In other words virtually impromptu is actually impromptu but in an effort to avoid complaints or internet arguments producers say "virtually impromptu".
An example of the difference is my Effect "Spin". "Spin" is Impromptu while "Note" is virtually impromptu because it requires a little something. Once you have the needed something, the possibilities are endless.
[quote]
On 2011-08-13 14:48, papercrane wrote:
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying! This sounds good!
I received this about 4 days ago and like most was very dubious about it. I had previously come across Sanders effect and whilst I loved the idea, found myself failing to make up the gimmick and try it out. I wanted NOTE to change my view of the effect. Before I wrote my thoughts on the effect, I did want to try it out first. Let me tell you, it changed my mind completely! Its the practicality in terms of set up which makes this effect just that bit more likely to be tried int he first place. The set up is minimal and can be done on the fly which suits me well. The quality of the product is class as per the usual Paper Crane standards. What I loved about Sanders effect was the sheer amount of thinking around the initial effect. I,e, all the bonus routines and ideas. Again, Note doesn't disappoint. Its crammed with ideas. What I love is the subtlety with the Post it pad which allows you to know the orientation of the prediction before its written. (Those with it will understand). Its a nice touch and shows the amount of thought gone in. Whilst BSmiths performing style does make the DVD a little dreary, everything else is pretty wicked. They have a live stand in to show you how to do things.

So how does it play in the real world? Well, I was absolutely peeing myself the first time. Much like the first time you do a watch steel... NERVOUS! But, there was absolutely nothing to worry about. It flies by during performance and the stamping part is covered in depth in the download. It plays VERY well. They freak out and try to backtrack to when it could possibly have been placed there to no avail. It really is a nice way to reveal something. The gimmick (if you can call it that) really makes everything nice and natural. They'll feel nothing!

I rate it highly and wouldn't worry about performing it for your first time. There is nothing to worry about at all! A very nice, information packed product which can be done at a moments notice.

GET IT

Jamie Daws
Jamie your reviews are so good you always bring out the exact points that I think magicians want to hear, thanks for trying it out and posting your thoughts.
Jamie is always the best active member in MC.

Erm...perhaps, I have missed something here. Can I ask if there is any construction needed for Note? Thanks.
Virtually no construction lol. Anyone who has this knows what I'm talking about.
Just got this and watched it. This is really a great effect. Along with Lit this is the best release from Papercrane in my opinion. This is definitely something I will be using. Osterlind's Center Tear with Post It Notes adds a lot of value to this DVD as well. Also, the routines on here are pretty good. I really love how easy the set-up is. This is what I was hoping Tagged would be when I got it. The only thing I would like to have seen covered more was some ideas on how to go about storing and loading the gimmicks (the second piece used in the effect not included with the DVD for owners who know what I'm talking about) during performance. Other than that all bases were really covered and B. Smith did a great job with the teaching.

All around a very practical method for achieving the effect. Matt Sconce, B. Smith, and Papercrane really hit a home run with this one. Congrats to all, and thanks for producing such a quality effect. I'm really going to enjoy this one for a long time. :)
I got the DVD and there is certainly a lot to like about it. To answer some of your questions, this uses ordinary office supply types of things that are readily available and there really is no construction. To pick a small bone, it is advertised as "DVD and Gimmick" and, really, there is no gimmick included at all. The DVD came with an ungimmicked marker, which was nice, but not a gimmick and, in fact, not the exact same marker as the one used on the DVD. While this is a criticism of the advertising, it is not a criticism of the effect as not having any sort of a pre-manufactured gimmick means versatility and means in a pinch, such as in Maven's "Nothing" an impressive effect can be done with a visit to a Walmart, or local drug store.

Realistically, this works best with either forces of one sort or another, or very simple shapes or initials where there is no force involved. I think it could get very cumbersome with words of even 4 or 5 letters, or even simple drawings instead of simple shapes. Both forces and CT's etc, can play strong, but the forces are particularly intriguing since the image can be tranferred right up front and before anything has even apparently happened, and even allows for other effects to be done in between.

I think Alan R. hints at one of the other limitations in that, for most of the effects, there is a very simple, brief, set-up required, and done in private, and then the deed needs to be done shortly after. There are some ways to do it on the fly shown on the DVD and more will come forward, but most of the effects shown require that brief settup. Not a criticism. Just that if you might have this planned for the middle of a set, it might be tricky to do some of the routines that way.

Like many, I have some ideas on other forces and some presentational twists that have not been mentioned yet and it will be very interesting to see how other people are using this. There is a lot to like about this for those willing to master it.
[quote]
On 2011-08-16 16:36, ted french wrote:
Jamie your reviews are so good you always bring out the exact points that I think magicians want to hear, thanks for trying it out and posting your thoughts.
[/quote]
I too, loved reading his review. I know the exact feeling he describes when you use Note for the first time. It is a bold move but invisible to the audience when done the way you are taught on the DVD. I am hearing a lot of good feedback from magicians using Note, and I love all the different spins and different routines they are coming up with. Keep them coming, I love hearing about them. Thanks everyone!
[quote]
On 2011-08-15 21:42, Gospel Dan wrote:
Thanks for explaining that Matt. I appreciate both effects, and recommend folks getting both versions. Once you know how "Note" works, there are endless routines you can do with it.

Mean while Rich teaches some cool routines on Tagged that can be performed using "Note" that I recommend looking into.
[/quote]

No problem! I agree that both rock. Rich teaches some great routines on his dvd as well! I love what Bob showed on Note's DVD! Thanks and enjoy!
Just wanted to say today I finally got a chance to perform Note for my most skeptical and discerning friend and it totally freaked her out. I've done some very strong material for her over the years, and this was the best reaction I've ever gotten out of her. She's my #1 test subject for new magic as she isn't easily impressed with magic, and has a very keen mind for working out methods, and Note passed the test in spades--totally broke through all her defenses and gave her a real moment of astonishment.

Also, I've completely switched to doing my center tear with post it notes now. The post it note center tear B Smith teaches was almost worth the price of the DVD for me. Love it.

Once again, congrats to Matt Sconce, B Smith, and Papercrane on this project. Love this effect. Haven't been this satisfied and enthusiastic about a magic purchase in quite a while.
[quote]
On 2011-09-03 15:54, Exitmat wrote:
Just wanted to say today I finally got a chance to perform Note for my most skeptical and discerning friend and it totally freaked her out. I've done some very strong material for her over the years, and this was the best reaction I've ever gotten out of her. She's my #1 test subject for new magic as she isn't easily impressed with magic, and has a very keen mind for working out methods, and Note passed the test in spades--totally broke through all her defenses and gave her a real moment of astonishment.

Also, I've completely switched to doing my center tear with post it notes now. The post it note center tear B Smith teaches was almost worth the price of the DVD for me. Love it.

Once again, congrats to Matt Sconce, B Smith, and Papercrane on this project. Love this effect. Haven't been this satisfied and enthusiastic about a magic purchase in quite a while.
[/quote]

I am so happy to hear that story and thank you for the kind words. I have gotten a LOT of mileage out of this effect and I am excited to hear others are doing so as well. Best, Matt Sconce
I had a dream last night that I was performing an effect for a huge group of people in a school talent show. I used Note in the dream, and when I woke up I realized that this application (I have used once before to a group of Junior Highers) is something very viable that needs to be stressed with the effect.

With Note, the following can be done (my dream):

I stood on the grass of a high school football field. I asked a female student to come down from the bleachers to the field and then asked her if she had ever had the experience of knowing what people were thinking before they told her. Regardless of her answer, I state that I have, and have written a prediction (I then show an envelope or folded up paper which I hand to her). I then take out a deck of cards and have her select one and not show me. I then ask her if it would be amazing if had written the thought down before hand. I ask her to name her card aloud and show the crowd. I then tell her to open the envelope and reveal what is inside. She does and reveals "a blank piece of paper". I state I told her I had written down a prediction but never said where I had written it. I then ask her to look at her arm. Written on her arm is the card. I then tell her I also wrote it on the arms of others. I gesture to the audience and one by one, many of the students freak out that the card is also written on their arms.

This is very powerful. It takes a bit of preshow work but is SO worth it! I find the best "color" for this is brown for pale skinned people and black for darker skinned people. If you have Note, you will understand. PM me with any questions. Best, Matt Sconce
Surely this concept can be combined with a common utility to make things much easier to get into and out of. Plus I've found that when you use it thus way it resets itself. I don't like the idea of being permanently or prematurely set up for this. (Cryptic I know but I think many will get this and it doesn't give anything away regards the method hopefully).
WPR Worker of the week - like 95%... and the riff between the boys and B sounds like water under the bridge which is icing on the cake :)

"nuff said. Ordering this tonight.

Don't know how I've missed this a I am a huge fan of B. Smith and Papercrane. Psypher is one of my all times faves.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Craig and Dave!
98%...
Would like to hear your thoughts on it after you play with it, Saysold1.

BTW is your handle Says-old-1 or Say-sold-1?
Ordered it about 2 days ago. This might possibly (hopefully) lend itself very nicely to revealing the chosen symbol for Multi Dimensional. If not, it certainly seems to have a multitude of other applications. I just checked with Penguin and USPS says it's out for delivery for today. I'll never get over how fast they ship things out, and that's standard shipping! ;)
Got it today but the jury is still out on this. I already had the “extra” needed that is not included, and understandably so. However, as much as I’ve played around with it I’ve yet to get a clear impression upon my skin, if at all. Yes, I’m using the exact type of “extra” that is needed so that is not the problem. It might very well possibly be that I need a new pen that is included, albeit it seems quite dark when I write with it and full of ink. NO, I’m not giving anything away here as it’s already been mentioned on this post and suffice to say it is not a Sharpie so relax everyone. As a matter of fact I never knew that this type of marker/pen even existed although it’s easily found. It will wash off quite easily so that is no issue at all.

I’ll try to get out tomorrow and buy a few of the required “special” pens needed and see what shakes. Also, hard to explain for fear of disclosure, but I’m not at all too sure how long one can go about with the “extra” set up already and ready to go. If that doesn’t work out I can’t fathom one going about with the “extra” in ones pocket and ready for application as it would seem rather awkward, and or impractical. I’m also very concerned about just how long the mark/”Note” will last before it can be applied to a spectator, but I’ll not be able to make that evaluation until I buy a new “special” marker. Again, I’ll wait and give it a fair shake and see what works out. Until then I’ll keep any further review until later. ;)
Gaffed, I have this and haven't experimented with how long you can go before applying the mark on the spec.
I get a good image in practice but find there are a few areas of the reveal that are more pronounced than others.

I wish the DVD would have had ideas on how to get into this. I think it can be a strong effect, but without the start up being practical, don't see it as a regular worker.

Make sure you are going over the image a couple of times with the image device. This should make it very apparent on the specs arm.

Sammy
[quote]
On 2011-10-14 07:52, slyhand wrote:
Would like to hear your thoughts on it after you play with it, Saysold1.

BTW is your handle Says-old-1 or Say-sold-1?
[/quote]

I'm a Realtor by day so my license plates says SAY SOLD1

I am getting too old for this lol :)
Tap the image device's tip on a hard flat surface to flatten it. Your image will be much darker. I highly recommend the image devices suggested on the DVD. Best, Matt Sconce
Bought this last night so haven't had the chance to experiment with props in hand. I can tell already this will be a worker for me.

Quick questions: How many times can you mark people before needing to "replenish" the image? Also, how long will I have between the time I do the business to when Im marking? Or will the gimmick stay "usable" for a decent time length?
[quote]
On 2011-08-15 21:11, MattSconce wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-08-15 20:42, Xiqual wrote:
What is that all about?
James
[/quote]
In 2008, I was doing a word to arm effect frequently and submitted my effect "Note" (Called "Whisper" at the time) to Ellusionist to see if they wanted to release it. I received no response, so I continued to use it and practice the effect that is now called "Note". A few months later, I saw Rich Ferguson was coming to the market with an effect called "Tagged" through Ellusionist. I had been discussing releasing my effect with Paper Crane Magic so, to not step on anyone's toes, I called Rich to talk about Tagged and make sure I was not releasing the same thing he was. We spoke on the phone and I told him my method for "Note". He said he was releasing a similar virtually impromptu method (with one element different than my method for "Note") along with the main method for "Tagged" on the DVD so, out of respect, I called Paper Crane and told them we would not move forward with my effect. I did not want to battle the market with a very similar effect if they were very similar in method to not detract from the profitability of Rich's "Tagged".

After "Tagged" released I saw the virtually impromptu method was never released on the DVD. I have waited 4 years to make sure I gave "Tagged" its run and not step on toes or the profitability of Rich's effect, and now I felt I could finally release "Note". It is getting great response and I am glad it can finally see the light of day. It is just one more tool we can use to create magic. I am very excited about it and hope people get a lot of it. -Matt Sconce
[/quote]

Thanks Matt. Prior to the efforts to produce it back then, what was your discovery of "Whisper"? I'd really like to understand clearly as I know we discussed this many years ago indeed.
Here are some from 5-6 years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC0PNe1faAU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDrNe7qJGnc

I'll PM you.
[quote]
On 2011-10-27 08:42, VernonOnCoins wrote:
Bought this last night so haven't had the chance to experiment with props in hand. I can tell already this will be a worker for me.

Quick questions: How many times can you mark people before needing to "replenish" the image? Also, how long will I have between the time I do the business to when Im marking? Or will the gimmick stay "usable" for a decent time length?
[/quote]
I usually will "replenish" the device after marking two people. It stays usable for a brief amount of time. It will be clear once you experiment with the gimmicks. Just remember to tap the tip of the utility image creator on a hard flat surface to flatten it so you have a thicker marking. It will work better this way. I hope you get a lot out of Note! Blow some minds! :) Matt Sconce
"My point is that where did the inspiration or development of NOTE AKA Whisper come from in the first place? That was left out of the conversation. It's the entire point at hand. I'm surprised this specific point has been so easily brushed by or missed as if that part of creation does not have any bearing.

Matt and I spoke MANY years ago and he had told me directly that he saw a clip of mine. When he was interested in producing a DVD on this idea, I remember it being pretty clear that he recognized that not only was I far past filming and waiting for Ellusionist to come out with it, but that he clearly saw and reversed engineered something exciting he saw me do on YouTube that he found highly interesting. A few others had emailed as well over a couple years prior. At the time, I had felt that he recognized that he did not really "come up with" this at all. I was under the impression that he would not produce it more because of THAT fact rather than whatever method(s), devices, setups, etc would be in or not be in our final DVD. So was NOTE independently created. It appears not the case. Was it "tweaked" in his own way. I suppose so. I'm just a little surprised to see this come out being that it was not a coincidence of duplicate invention but directly watched and copied as far as I remember our conversations. Perhaps I'm missing something."
Rich, live by the sword, die by the sword.
I will only address this once as I have had multiple PM's to Rich about this. The first time I saw a word to arm was ashes on arm and Stigmata and I thought how cool would it be to develop a word to arm of the spectator. My magic creator mind was pondering these things and how I could do something with the idea (Whisper) when I stumbled upon Rich's videos, which further excited me about the possibilities. If you have seen Rich perform Tagged you see large words written on people's arms. I was developing a subtle and impromptu way to do something similar. I continued on with my project (called Whisper at the time). After Ellusionist never replied to my trick submission, Papercrane became interested. I did not want to Step on Rich's toes if we had the same method. Keep in mind, I was not told his method prior to this and came up with my own word to arm effect independently of Rich. After talking to him, I found out he was about to release Tagged through Ellusionist. He told me he had an impromptu method that would be in the DVD. It is not exactly the same as Note, but out of respect, I did not release my effect. Tagged was released without the promised impromptu method, but I did not want to impact his sales and waited 4 YEARS after our conversation to begin to gear up for my release which is different than Tagged and has different applications and situational uses. Rich does not own the corner of the market for word to arm. He owns the corner of his method for Tagged (which is not Note). Many word to arms will come in the future because it is a cool concept. I say more power to them. As long as the methods are different, the magic world is big enough for all of us to live in. Diversity breeds progress and innovation. I believe I was respectful and fair with my handling of Note's release and in the way I treated Rich. This is all I will say on the topic as this is not the purpose of this thread. Thank you to all who have supported my magic creation by purchasing Note. I hope you achieve many years of enjoyment with this utility and subsequent effects. Best wishes, Matt Sconce
Matt-

I am loving this and thank you for your creativity!!! Also, B Smith did a super job on the DVD as usual. Nobody grunges like B Smith!

I just combined this today with the new "Photographic Memory" card effect that Card-shark and Christian Knudsen ( http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=436152&forum=218 ) and it just friggin kills as a kicker at the end. http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=65&lang=en&detail=true&Category=10&ArtID=181

I basically end after the reveal of their card by saying that the spectator always knew which card she would choose as it was a kind of destiny... burned into her psyche.

Man is "Note" so good - and combined with "Photographic Memory" it is quite a miracle indeed :)
[quote]
On 2011-11-02 14:16, MattSconce wrote:
I will only address this once as I have had multiple PM's to Rich about this. The first time I saw a word to arm was ashes on arm and Stigmata and I thought how cool would it be to develop a word to arm of the spectator. My magic creator mind was pondering these things and how I could do something with the idea (Whisper) when I stumbled upon Rich's videos, which further excited me about the possibilities. If you have seen Rich perform Tagged you see large words written on people's arms. I was developing a subtle and impromptu way to do something similar. I continued on with my project (called Whisper at the time). After Ellusionist never replied to my trick submission, Papercrane became interested. I did not want to Step on Rich's toes if we had the same method. Keep in mind, I was not told his method prior to this and came up with my own word to arm effect independently of Rich. After talking to him, I found out he was about to release Tagged through Ellusionist. He told me he had an impromptu method that would be in the DVD. It is not exactly the same as Note, but out of respect, I did not release my effect. Tagged was released without the promised impromptu method, but I did not want to impact his sales and waited 4 YEARS after our conversation to begin to gear up for my release which is different than Tagged and has different applications and situational uses. Rich does not own the corner of the market for word to arm. He owns the corner of his method for Tagged (which is not Note). Many word to arms will come in the future because it is a cool concept. I say more power to them. As long as the methods are different, the magic world is big enough for all of us to live in. Diversity breeds progress and innovation. I believe I was respectful and fair with my handling of Note's release and in the way I treated Rich. This is all I will say on the topic as this is not the purpose of this thread. Thank you to all who have supported my magic creation by purchasing Note. I hope you achieve many years of enjoyment with this utility and subsequent effects. Best wishes, Matt Sconce
[/quote]

I appreciate your message. However, it's not quit how I remember our conversation a few years back but life goes on. In addition, inventions of concepts can be argued to be just as valued or more than varied methods OF borrowed concepts. That said, I wish you luck and don't want to distract from what seems like a wonderful product and lots of support. Considering the levels of issues I've dealt with lately with concepts I have NOT seen, I thought it was quite appropriate to discuss since I do not feel the facts are correct. It's a shame old threads, emails or PM's are gone. Be well.
[quote]
On 2011-11-02 16:03, saysold1 wrote:
Matt-

I am loving this and thank you for your creativity!!! Also, B Smith did a super job on the DVD as usual. Nobody grunges like B Smith!

I just combined this today with the new "Photographic Memory" card effect that Card-shark and Christian Knudsen ( http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=436152&forum=218 ) and it just friggin kills as a kicker at the end. http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=65〈=en&detail=true&Category=10&ArtID=181

I basically end after the reveal of their card by saying that the spectator always knew which card she would choose as it was a kind of destiny... burned into her psyche.

Man is "Note" so good - and combined with "Photographic Memory" it is quite a miracle indeed :)
[/quote]

I am so glad you are getting a lot out if Note! That combination sounds powerful and I appreciate you suggesting it. Best wishes, Matt Sconce
The concept of making an image appear on a spectators body has been published before both Rich and Matt's effects.
You are correct ted.
I bought the trick when it was initially released. All in all I feel a little let down.

I was disappointed that all the necessary gimmicks weren't provided. I had to spend more money to buy them. Also, the pen provided was different to the one used in performance, due to the difference in thickness I had to buy a different one.

I haven't been very happy with the quality of the impression left on the specs arm despite flattening the tip of the gimmick. The set-up during a live performance isn't really explained and isn't practical unless you can hide from spectators while you apply the gimmick.

I will stick to using Rocco Silano's Stampede system that was released about 5-6 years ago. It's easier to set-up and manage during live performance.

Sorry Matt, horses for courses I guess.
I liked this DVD only because of the number force on the iphone (which is very strong)...

I had a routine with a prediction number, I've improved it with this force so I'm happy...

The trick itself has been made before (mathieu !@#$% for example...)
I used "Note" at a small party at our house last night. I greeted one of the guests at the door at the beginning...did what I needed to... And performed a trick 45 min later.

The time delay was awesome. The impression on the female guests' arm was sharp and perfect.

I did the flattening first and it does make a difference.

You do need to prepare for this a little in advance - in terms of setting the imp gimmick but no big deal at all.

This is great stuff.
This is a great piece of work. On the SMOKE version, I was confused as to how the performer dtermined the symbol drawn.
Maybe I missed that, but I didn't recall it being addressed in the explanantion, I only remember seeing how to reveal the answer. Can someone help or point me to where on the DVD that was explained? Thanks.
Magicallyme, the method for getting the symbol reveal was discussed on the DvD. Pm me if you still have any questions :)

regards,
MI
Could not wait to sell this on.
After all the Hype ..What a dissapointment
[quote]
On 2011-11-20 06:58, johndevacmaker wrote:
Could not wait to sell this on.
After all the Hype ..What a dissapointment
[/quote]

Really? Why?

If you read the thread & hints here, and combine with the DVD... this is a pretty ingenuous concept.

Is it the simplicity that bothers you? Were you hoping for something more complicated?

The DVD also includes many great routines. Did you try any of them?

This is kind of like the center tear - in many cases simplicity trumps convoluted methods.

Note is great.
I agree saysold1, Note is simply fantastic.

I use it with the Toxic formula and it gets some wild reactions.
Can someone let me know if I am missing something here regarding the centre tear taught on this dvd. Smith credits that it is Richard Osterlind's centre tear but the ripping action and orientation of the paper is different to Osterlinds. I must be dumb or something but I have followed Smith's teaching with paper in hand and when I follow his instruction both visually and verbally I don't get to see the peek of what's written...

I popped in Osterlind's Mind Mysteries Vol1 again as a reference and picked up his tear within first viewing and as mentioned above, the paper orientation is different, osterlind's method gets the peek within two tears and is less fidgety. Smith's version of the tear has 3 tears plus bluff tear before the peek.Also I think Smith's is method is more applicable to small symbols and two letter initials rather than long words and names which Osterlind's centre tear caters for. In any case I'll be using the center tear as taught by Osterlind as I feel mroe comfortable with it

Let me know your thoughts cause I could be wrong.

Great effect by the way.
It's crazy how people get so bent out of shape over originality on tricks and concepts. Just think of a double lift, none of us invented it but use it daily. Just remember none of the people we perform for ever know the original inventor. Perfect example, I have done Sankey's Paperclipped well over a few thousand times... never once told a spectator where I got it.

I think both versions are great. I wish both Rich and Matt well and THANK them BOTH for releasing their versions.

In my humble opinion I think the NOTE version is better as walk around enviorments but if it is a stage act, video, TV or film I would def. do Rich's version as the print is GIGANTIC!!!

Thank you both for sharing your versions with the magic community.
Just got my copy of Note. Is it fair to say B Smith to me has an eerie resemblence of John Ritter in his youth..rockin a beard?
Anyway, love this effect. Glad to add it to my collection!

:):):):) out of 5 for me.

Clean, simple, direct.
Guys, It's all good... However, this supports that my memory served me correctly about the timeline of things regrading Note vs Tagged. I just happen to see this today in an old email I seemed to have difficulty finding a few years ago. Weird. You all have fun now and be nice.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=273043&forum=15&start=23
Rich, the outcome of this not only shows you were correct, but it shows your integrity. You did not have a temper tantrum, bash anyone, or have a hissy fit. You stated your thoughts and feelings, and let it be and wished Matt good luck, even though you knew something was off kilter. Very Professional and I respect that.
I haven't followed this much but I wanted to point out that Note is different than tagged and more suitable for impromptu in my opinion. Tagged has its advantages too. With Tagged you can "tag" words in big bold letters.
Soooooooo....about two months ago I'm watching old WPR episodes, seeing what I may have missed. On the Oct. 10th, 2011 episode, the lads are beside themselves with this release 'Note":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsOZbLRRmRM

I've seen them get gobsmacked about things, but not like this. I was familiar with the various methods of doing this type of trick, so I was hesitant to order as I passed on those other products after getting them. They work, but simply were not for me. I need magic I can perform anytime, anywhere with what I have in my pockets. I do some paid shows during the holidays, but still wasn't going to use any the the methods/products I was familiar with. But the lads went nuts and gave it worker of the week before they even started reviewing it.

So I went to Penguin to see a bit more on the specifics.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2527

"With Note you can make any message, word, card, shape or drawing appear on the spectators body. This is not like other methods where the set up is difficult and can be impractical for everyday use. Note is something that you can do within minutes of opening the package, IT'S JUST THAT EASY".

$29.95 for something I probably already knew made me cautious. But, it was Papercrane and Robert Smith, both of whom I really like, so I took a shot.

It arrived and I started to watch. The DVD has great directing and filming. Robert explains what it is and then for each trick using the principle, we get live performances. I've always enjoyed Robert's performing style and appreciate the work being done for real people. That's not easy to film, but they did a fantastic job.

If I had been in the bar/street and saw Robert perform this and then saw it released, $100 still would have been too little for what you get. When Robert explained what it is, my mouth dropped open.

Note is brilliant, ingenious and diabolical. Petty and Penn could have given it worker of the year.

I've been using it for weeks. You know the TV guys that have people screaming, freaking out? That's how people react with Note. Unless you floated 4 ft. off the ground, you couldn't follow this.

I LOVE NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Le Zombie
This looks cool. NO. This IS cool. A made magicians friends jaws drop on the floor with this revelation! Go get it, it s almost halloweeeeeeen!
I'm looking for a refill marker but I can't find the brand provided in Europe where I live. Does anyone know of any other brands that will work?
So I purchased this recently and I really liked the concept! So I got the one required material and tried it but it didn't work that well...the writing on the spectators hand wasn't strong enough...I was a bit disappointed but then, using the same concept in note but different materials, I easily built a gimmick that can be reused Over and over and lasts a lifetime! And these materials make the writIng on the spectator a lot more "strong"... so if you had a problem of the writing or drawing not showing up properly then this solves it

If you want details on how to make this then PM Me with proof of purchase that you have note.

You will be required to buy additional materials but they won't cost much and trust me when I say it will be worth it!

I really loved the concept note but like Alan Rorrison said at the beginning, I think it was under thought a bit.

Sleepy
To all of the people who PMed I have PMed back with a short video tutorial and links for the two things you need to buy

Sleepy
A very big thank you to you Sleepy, good idea very detailed vidio and sharing the links where to source the material's ,brilliant sir, very clever idea.

All the best

Shane
No problems!

Sleepy