(Close Window)
Topic: Toys...or magic tricks?
Don't know if this has been posted before,but are the Tenyo items used by pro magicians in there everyday sets ? Im just curious because some of the Tenyo items look like nothing on earth except a magic prop,so how do you explain this away...or indeed do you need to ? In these times of street magic done with everyday items,are Tenyo relics from a bygone era ? Is it just collectors who collect em,and that's it ? Not trying to stir up a honest nest,just curious.........

For the record,method wise,I think some of these items are genius,totally genius and clever.
I often use Invisible Zone in my shows, and it gets a great reaction. I present it as a new technology from the future. Not really a routine, more of a short filler piece, a quick intro, etc.
I recently did a walk around gig and I used several Tenyo effects. Before, I had done a show for a 1st grade class with Tenyo.

I take a couple of approaches. For kids, I explain that these are some of the first tricks I learned, that they came in a kit when I was a kid. I even have a wooden briefcase made up to look like a "magic set" from several decades ago.

For adults, my character is somewhat of an absent-minded professor trying out "inventions" so the "props" don't seem out of place. I even modified a Sonic Screwdriver from Dr. Who (the Tennant one) to look sort of steampunkish and it's my magic wand...

I'm almost at a point where I'll start buying backups of my Tenyo and (collectors may not want to read further...) and modify them with paint and add-ons to look even *more* Victorian-era or at least "gadgety" to play into this character more. I'm particularly wanting to modify Blue Crystal this way :)

Invisible Zone, Zone Infinity and Krazy Keys are all really easy to carry around and don't arouse a lot of suspicion, I have found.
Invisible zone is a great fooler but I wish it did not look quite so plasticy.
I use both their china rings and ocasionally their newspaper restoration.
In days gone by I got great mileage out of using the jumbo card from JUMBO SIDETRACK with Don Alan's BIG DEAL. The folder was apparently just a carrier/protector for the large card.

The finish with Sidetrack, presented as almost an after thought, always got a tremendous reaction from adults...

Julie
[quote]
On 2012-05-03 06:10, jugglestruck wrote:
Invisible zone is a great fooler but I wish it did not look quite so plasticy.
[/quote]

I saw an idea once, in either Genii or Magic magazine, whereby somebody (apologies for not remembering his name) took the Invisible Zone, and covered/baked it in clay so that it resembled a rock. With a hole through it's centre, the disappearance of the pen looked very convincing in the photos.

Somebody bought a Tenyo prop, thought outside of the box, and has created himself a little miracle!
Yes that was a very unique performance of Invisible Zone.
Tenyo put some pictures of it on their website:
http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic_en/tips/tip05.html#Anchor03
Invisible Zone is Great !
I also have used invisable zone as a filler for close up effect.
todd
Superpixel, I really like your take on how to present Tenyo. I usually keep them to myself, but you've already have given me a couple good ideas.