(Close Window)
Topic: A REALLY amateurish question :p
I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for asking this, and no doubt some of my haters will crawl out of the woodwork; but I firmly believe in the goodness of people (aswell as the evil) and I hope someone out there will help me :)

So... I just got my first booking :D

Its for the 13th, eleven days away, so plenty of time to think about what I am to do. There is one little problem though; which I didn't really see coming. This party is for a friend of a friend, who is turning 16. She is the youngest of her group, so there will be 15 or so 16-18 aged teenagers there. That isn't a problem for me; I am perfectly used to performing and dealing with that age group - but its the size that I find worrying.

You see over the past few months I've been practising performing close-up, where I am performing with a small table of people, such as in a reasturant. I also can work from stage, and have before in the past. But this is neither. It is not stand up, and it isn't table hopping - so I really don't know what to expect. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? :)

Tom
xx

P.S
Given that the party will be 70% girls, I'm considering getting out the old "Easy and Effective Cold Reading" book. Any thoughts/tips?
I believe that if you can control the performance space (i.e. - a living room, basement, den, back yard) - that there is no reason why this could not be considered Guerilla stand up. All it takes is an organization of chairs, etc. and you have a 3/4 theatrical space to amaze! ;)
Ive done a few house party gigs like this. Best thing to do is speak the host or who is paying you.

Tell them the guest will get the most enjoyment out of the following format.

1) section off a room and set it up to perform table a few chairs.
2) split the group into 4/5 groups and have perform for each group one at a time.
3) after the show mingle, have a few quick routines up your sleve n your good to go.

The 1st group will be the hardest but they will of course then go chat to the other ppl in between your mini shows and build the excitement for you.
Getting out the book isn't going to help if the party is 11 days away. Just make believe.

It's called a parlor show. Just pretend you are on a stage a few feet in front of everyone and at their level.

Use the $1000 thing you bought. You could make that work for 20 minutes.

Get bev's new chair routine real quick and practice that.

Good luck to one of the good guys!

Peace be with you,

John
Define your 'stage area' and exterminate anyone who crosses it unasked. Control them and don't let them control you.

Having said that, don't come across as a control freak and expect younger people to be loud and hyper as that's what they do!

Form an act! Not just 3 routines done together. You have to know where you are and where you are going at every stage. Communicate that to the audience.

Practise until you do know the act backwards or come the performance you will get lost!
Smoking camel, that is the most bizarre advice I have ever heard. I assume you are joking.

Thomas, fifteen people in a room is as close to a close-up gig as you need it to be. Just make sure that the people at the front are far back enough from your table that they are not blocking everyone's view. Then treat it as a close-up gig, but speak loudly and clearly. I have seen clips of you on youtube, and that will not be a problem for you.

Sit or stand behind the table, and have two chairs on either side, so that you can bring up volunteers. Then do a strong close-up set, with the best magic you can. Start with something quick to establish your credibility. Throw in a couple of jokes, even if you are not a funny performer. They lighten the mood.

And don't bother with the cold-reading. You need to have a feel for that, and I don't believe that you do(no disrespect in that). Go with what you know you do well.

Best of luck, and enjoy yourself.
... and if you're really confident in your ability close with this:

http://www.axtell.com/micmouth.html
Thomas,
First of all: don't worry. An audience in this age group is a wonderful audience with an open mind and they will buy almost anything you tell them. I love working for students. Since this is your first real performance you should go prepared and you might even want to practice. ;-) Smoking Camel's idea of splitting up the group into smaller units is useful. If it is practical depends on the circumstances.
I would start to perform for the group as a whole. But you have to keep in mind that these people are there to party and not to see you you perform. So keep it short, to the point, and interesting. This short performance can serve as an introduction after which you can go and mingle and read people's (preferably girls') minds. You might also want to take a look at tarot or palmistry. You will have the girls standing in line to get to you. And don't be afraid to fall on your face: even a short generic reading can be extremely convincing.
Anyway, let the people come to you, their curiosity will lead them to you. And once you have performed a couple of effects, your nerves will have disappeared and your self-confidence will grow.

-EDIT-
I didn't see the number of people at the party is only 15. So forget about splitting them into groups and as said above by Tony: do an "extended close-up performance"
[quote]
On 2011-08-02 15:56, johncesta wrote:
... and if you're really confident in your ability close with this:

http://www.axtell.com/micmouth.html
[/quote]

Now THAT would work with 18 yr old girls.... [scribbles note to self]
Thomas, from what I have seen of your personality, playing the emphatetic psychic would be a stretch. But if you get a basic primer on palmistry (such as Paul Bell's Palmistry for Magicians, or Juliann Moore's Speed Palmistry method) you could try this approach. You could explain to people that you will tell them what a traditional palmist would read in their hands. Treat it as a mini-lecture, delivered one on one. Then let them make their own minds up on the readings. The girls will go for that.

It is possible to learn enough in eleven days - just don't expect to deliver the readings like an expert.
Thomas - remember what I said to you about giving readings please...

if you are used to close-up, is there the space to have 3 small tables of 5 people on each, loosely linked together?

or, what I would do is ask for a space of your own - with you at a table, and let guests come and go in small groups - and then work on something extra special for the birthday girl...some kind of confabulation about her hopes for the forthcoming year - and then for your end applause cue invite everyone to wish her well and that her dreams for that year come true...

quite soft, but it ends well and an automatic "finish"...

you should be able to get some very good p**-s*** from her parents about favourite pop stars, films, actors too...
Yes...LET's break out new material for a gig that is 11 days away...
As has been mentioned above, this is classed as a parlour show. I would speak to the booker and ask whether they want this, i.e. a 45 minute standup show OR for you to mingle with 3 or 4 groups. An hours close up is all you need here. I would usually recommend my parlour show for anything under 25 people. Remember, your parlour show can really be just an extension of your close up set, although I would recommend creating a good finale routine that runs for a good 10 minutes, and preferably involves the birthday girl

I actually disagree with Bartelli. I would NOT start with a performance for everyone if you have NOT been booked for the parlour as you may find it difficult to move into doing the close up if everyone is fascinated with what you are doing - which they should be.

Andrew
My advice to you is this Thomas...

Work with what you already do...

Close-up effects can work on large stages...

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to adapt your close-up set to the parlour format...

Use your audience members as props -- the people present WILL react to the reactions of the PARTICIPANTS.

I do a full parlour show with a few business cards, a deck of playing cards, and a note pad.

It is ENTIRELY possible...

J
Great answers and help for you Thomas.

Develop your premise as character and be friendly with your audience.

Talk with the person that hires you and stablish your scenario (stand up or in table). Perform your favorite pieces, script your show and smile.

(and buy my books ;))
Best Of luck and let us know how you get on!

Kieran
Some weird advice being given here, I can't tell what's real or a put on. If this is for people that know you such as classmates I'd be very concerned if you are claiming to be psychic and doing readings. If this is the case these people know you and will probably find this unbelievable and just a series of tricks.

Do you know these people well? Is it a paying gig? Why did you take it if it's not your typical type of performance? How long is the performance?

Some poor advice here of learning new effects or concepts, stick with what you know, have done and are comfortable with.

A stage show or Parlour as said above I would think would be best - best to win them, keep them and amaze them.
First, you should be able to get through this with minimal injuries. :) From what I've seen and read of you, you shouldn't have a problem. Second, I agree... this sounds like a perfect size audience for "parlor" style effects, but (as has been mentioned) can be performed almost like your close-up… just controlled with voice and presentation. Third, however, is it doesn't matter what you or I might prefer. It matters what the person booking you wants. Have they booked you for table or dinner entertainment, or have they booked you for parlor style entertainment? They are, after all, the people you need to please... and please as best you can, considering it's your first booking. They need to spread the word about how good you are, not about how far they were required to bend over to [i]accommodate[/i] you. But, hey... that's just me.

Good luck!!!
Thomas, I don't feel qualified to offer much in the way of advice,
And we may have had our differences of opinion, I would like to wish you success and would love to hear how it goes.

Regards
Steve
Thomas, this might actually be an ideal first gig for you. Young teenagers will literally believe anything you tell them and that should give you confidence in yourself. The best advice I can give is try to look relaxed, smile, and be nice and social with them all. And don't forget that the host is the star of the party. He won't be, you will, but you have to make him believe he is.

As to weather you do parlour, walk around close up etc. you should discuss it with whomever is paying you. Just remember to politely stay in charge at all times when dealing with him/her.

I think you could really be in your element Thomas and wish you the best of luck.
15 people is a large close-up gig. Stick with what you know.

Good luck and have fun.
Thomas,
Sounds like an ideal opportunity to dry run your audition material.
You know what I'm talking about :D
Above all! Make absolutely sure that someone videos it!

We should not be denied the experience!
Don't do the lube!!
The audience is absolutely an ideal audience as has been mentioned before and this can surely work to improve your confidence for larger shows. All I would add is make sure to have fun and stick to what you do best. There is some seriously solid advice given on this thread and good sentiments. Good Luck!

Definitely get it on video!
Good luck Thomas! hope things go well. Just try to control the audience and interact the best you can. Due to the age you can totally connect with them well and just have fun! Don't forget that part :)

best of luck!

Euan
[quote]
On 2011-08-02 18:38, Shrubsole wrote:
Above all! Make absolutely sure that someone videos it!

We should not be denied the experience!
[/quote]

Do tape it but for yourself.
You will learn so much for your next shows.

How much did you charge ?
Good luck, Tom. You'll do well, you've got both the mouth and the moves to Ace this as far as the audience goes. The rest is you deconstructing it all and learning whatever it is the night will teach you.

Have fun and be fun.
Great news, Thomas.

I'd advise the following: Relax and have a good time. Do the effects you're comfortable with...ones you enjoy doing. Go slow and relax. Perform with the sense that they are your friends and they will be. And under no circumstances do that lube thing. :)

Good luck, fella.

David
Since the person I am working for is a trusted friend of a friend, I didn't ask how much when she asked me to do it - I knew I'd say either too much or too little. How much should I expect do you think? I'd be happy with £20 and a four pack. :P

I'll give a fiver to one of the girls to film it. If it goes well its nice to show off the effect :P

My current ideas:

- Open with coin in which hand

- MD (the 'secret' version)

- QB2.0 (explaining how this is a detour from my psychological work, and straying into "the psychic arts")

- ESP card matching (back to the psychological again)

- AOCAAN finale

All of this packs into a very, very small little brown leather briefcase; looks rather professional and curious! I do have only two thoughts however:

1. Should I include a bit of p**-***w? Not as a main effect, but just a small thing, or maybe a hot reading?

2. Does anyone know where I can quickly get my hands on some CLEARLY m**ked ESP cards? I currantly own Beyond ESP 2, and I'm sorry my darling Mr Murry, but I cannot read them correctly 100% of the time. I am trying to find some 'bycicle' ones which are marked clearly, like the Ultimate M**ked Deck.

Any thoughts? :)

Tom
xx
Thomas I would say order Paralabs ESP cards from the Head hacking site! should be quick delivery and the cards are amazing and what you need is clear :)

I replaced my Beyond ESP 2 cards with these ones, I loved beyond ESP but it was hard on my eyes.

Euan
I agree with Euan, especially since you plan on doing the ESP test just before the ACAAN. The Paralabs cards look like authentic testing cards and don't at all resemble the cards you will be using for the finale.
Am I the only one here that finds this extremely weird...and ironic? Here is a guy that stormed in here very opinionated, very offensive to many who tried to offer help and knowledge, who is a first-string arm-chair quarterback with bold opinions and criticizing longtime pro's telling us his area of specialty, and now he's finally got to put up or shut up by doing a real show (well sort of) and he's got to ask what to do and the opinions of the many here he's bashed, brutally under at least two different names. How easily some forget.

He's a beginner just getting into the kiddie pool.
The Paralabs cards are perfect -- as long as you can get the hang of them quickly. Some people do...it takes others a while. But the markings ARE diabolical.

Have you tried the MK-MOD cards? They're FROM your neck of the woods...and they are very clearly marked -- so clearly marked that I use them when the lighting stinks. I'm always nervous about getting busted...but it hasn't happened yet.

Try not to focus too much on the effects...try to focus more on staying relaxed and having fun.

And don't tell them where you hide your ProMystic receiver.

Seriously.

Don't.

David
[quote]
On 2011-08-02 23:39, Mindpro wrote:
Am I the only one here that finds this extremely weird...and ironic? Here is a guy that stormed in here very opinionated, very offensive to many who tried to offer help and knowledge, who is a first-string arm-chair quarterback with bold opinions and criticizing longtime pro's telling us his area of specialty, and now he's finally got to put up or shut up by doing a real show (well sort of) and he's got to ask what to do and the opinions of the many here he's bashed, brutally under at least two different names. How easily some forget.

He's a beginner just getting into the kiddie pool.
[/quote]

You've never made written a book, therefore you have no idea how to write a book? You've never made a film, therefore you have no idea what makes a good film? Susan Boyle had never sung professional, therefore she cannot... ohh wait. I see the logical fail here.

Once you remove the bias that you hold Mindpro, the flaw in your argument becomes obvious. Some of the best magic I have ever seen comes from amateurs.

And thank you Bob for pointing that out! I don't want to do 2 "card tricks" in a row, and therefore non-magic looking cards will be needed. Good thinking, I appreciate it :)

Tom
xx
Every pro was once an amateur. And every performer must have a first show.

Haters gonna hate.

Best of luck to you Thomas.
The point remains quite simply yapping about something and actually performing are two different things. I think it's quite ironic that you come on here with your slick words, opinions of tried and tested effects, techniques and works by some longtime professionals and you are quick to attack with your unsolicited opinions based on "all your knowledge" yet when it comes to putting rubber to the pavement you have to come on here and ask about the most very basic of knowledge, seeking input on what to perform, how to perform and scramble around for new and last minute effects and additions to quickly add or consider. Come on you're the most legendary professional amateur on here, how dare you have to ask anyone with experience how to perform a live show.

Most every pro was humble when they started with their first show, this is not the case here. No haters here, just stating he facts...just the facts!
First off, good for you Thomas! And congratulations! It’s a good step.

Now, I like to do some of both (close-up and parlor), and the way I handle it (this didn’t occur to me at first) is to place a small “sit-down” table in the middle of the room. I do what I need to from the “stage area”, but when it’s time to shift gears, I’ll invite one (sometimes two) “special guests” to join me at the table for some close up. Everyone else can see as well, but this brings it down to a much more intimate feel. (Note: this is about as “surrounded” as it gets, so you’ll want to choose your experiments accordingly!)

I remember reading somewhere about a group doing séances in this manner, with an inner gallery and an outer gallery. It works!

You’re advanced enough to know most of the other stuff (i.e. stick with what you know; engage the people, not the method; finish BEFORE they’ve had enough; etc.?)

Good luck with this. I’m excited for you!

Mindpro, we ALL know Thomas’ history here, and his behavior isn’t significantly different from anyone else with a lot to learn. The exciting part is that he seems to actually be learning it! I’m personally rooting for the guy!
[quote]
On 2011-08-03 00:59, Mindpro wrote:
The point remains quite simply yapping about something and actually performing are two different things. I think it's quite ironic that you come on here with your slick words, opinions of tried and tested effects, techniques and works by some longtime professionals and you are quick to attack with your unsolicited opinions based on "all your knowledge" yet when it comes to putting rubber to the pavement you have to come on here and ask about the most very basic of knowledge, seeking input on what to perform, how to perform and scramble around for new and last minute effects and additions to quickly add or consider. Come on you're the most legendary professional amateur on here, how dare you have to ask anyone with experience how to perform a live show.

Most every pro was humble when they started with their first show, this is not the case here. No haters here, just stating he facts...just the facts!
[/quote]

If your saying I should be humble and nervous for the show, I am not. I never have been afraid of performing, and have read my poetry and stories to crowds of over a thousand people - Some call this arrogance, I call it confidence.

I'm glad I made this thread really, I've picked up a lot of good advice I think; and now I'm really looking forward to it :)

Tom
xx
No, that's not what I was saying. The one thing that hasn't changed is your ability to accept criticism and advice of those that have done what you have yet to do. And performing poetry and a live mentalism show are far from the same thing. In my opinion there are many variables that can occur and go wrong with mentalism than in reading poetry, regardless of the size of the audience. I do wish you well.
[quote]
2. Does anyone know where I can quickly get my hands on some CLEARLY m**ked ESP cards? I currantly own Beyond ESP 2, and I'm sorry my darling Mr Murry, but I cannot read them correctly 100% of the time. I am trying to find some 'bycicle' ones which are marked clearly, like the Ultimate M**ked Deck.
[/quote]

Though I agree the Paralabs cards are best, I bought a bunch of easy to read Bicycle ESP cards from Lybrary.com. Here is a link:

http://www.lybrary.com/cards-with-bicycle-back-marked-p-96228.html
Theres is a member here by the name of Eshla that is always dishing out plenty of advice... contact him Tom :)

JOKES... JUST JOKES!!!!

Good luck with it all mate.
I think it is better for the art that we help Thomas
looks like he need a lot of help in many areas.

I want the girls to have fun and enjoy mentalism.
I don't want them to go to public forums and say how boring was the show they saw.
they will never hire a mentalist...

I hope that he will be nice to his audience, much nicer then here.
Be polite, be likeble.

I am sure that one they he will grow up and will say thank you to all the people that helps him here.
try to spend more time working on your effects. I can not call it a show because
your choice of effects is not good.

you can paypal me 200$ and I will tell you how to be Great. not just good
not just a magician doing some tricks...

Lior
As for the Beyond ESP deck... whats the problem? Maybe you just need to practice a bit more with them mate.

Im not being sarcastic... I just think that they are very easy to work with... and completely invisible to the lay person.
[quote]
On 2011-08-03 01:18, Thomas Cooper wrote:
Some call this arrogance, I call it confidence.
Tom
xx
[/quote]

... most arrogant people do mate :) The same way that rude opinionated people pass of their hurtful comments as 'Just telling it like it is'
[quote]
On 2011-08-03 02:49, Paul Shirley wrote:
As for the Beyond ESP deck... whats the problem? Maybe you just need to practice a bit more with them mate.

Im not being sarcastic... I just think that they are very easy to work with... and completely invisible to the lay person.
[/quote]

My eyesight isn't that good; and I dislike performing with glasses on. (I've tried and failed at contacts)
[quote]
On 2011-08-03 03:06, Thomas Cooper wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-08-03 02:49, Paul Shirley wrote:

[/quote]

My eyesight isn't that good; and I dislike performing with glasses on. (I've tried and failed at contacts)

Fair enough.. I hadnt considered Paralabs either.. I hear they are top notch.
[/quote]
I do indeed own Paralabs cards, however I don't think they are for me, for several reasons.

(and no I'm not saying what they are because people only disagree with me)
You don't deserve it but others do:

You show lacks emotion.
All this ACANN , ESP TEST, which hand... it's all so cold. You must get some warmth and human feelings into your show.
Reveal the name of someone's first love, and it will be the strongest effect on your show. This is what really interests you teenage audience. Not which hand hold the coin, but who's in love with whom.
By the way, this is what Sucahrd did on both of his Leno appearances and got the most reactions with. He took it from me by the way.

After the show, please paypal the 200$ to mail@nimrodharel.co.il.

Nimrod , Israel
I was sure he took it from me...

I think that Colin is in London next week
Take some privte lessons from him.
[quote]
On 2011-08-03 03:41, nimrod wrote:
You don't deserve it but others do:

You show lacks emotion.
All this ACANN , ESP TEST, which hand... it's all so cold. You must get some warmth and human feelings into your show.
Reveal the name of someone's first love, and it will be the strongest effect on your show. This is what really interests you teenage audience. Not which hand hold the coin, but who's in love with whom.
By the way, this is what Sucahrd did on both of his Leno appearances and got the most reactions with. He took it from me by the way.

After the show, please paypal the 200$ to mail@nimrodharel.co.il.

Nimrod , Israel
[/quote]

Very good advice. You should really think about this advice on your effects Thomas.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Aug 3, 2011 07:45AM)
[quote]
On 2011-08-03 03:14, Thomas Cooper wrote:
I do indeed own Paralabs cards, however I don't think they are for me, for several reasons.

(and no I'm not saying what they are because people only disagree with me)
[/quote]

The MK-MOD ESP test cards inc. unmarked and clearly-marked ESP cards. The manual includes more than just instructions and effects. Personally I use the unmarked cards at least as much as the marked ones.
I think that it's great that you're going to do this performance, just ignor all the negatives, they don't help anyone.

I'm wondering, if you're used to performing close up then why not just stick with what you know, there's not really all that much time to come up with something new. I'd treat it as a strolling performance, people will natuarally split into groups of 3 or 4. Why not just mingle among the guests, performing your close up set for the different groups.