(Close Window)
Topic: What do magicians here think about David Blaine?
Just curious. I am not a professional magician, so I probably see him and his style a little differently. Being in video production I do spot some tricky editing here and there, although not nearly as atrocious as Criss Angel. I cannot stand watching Criss Angel. So, ... how good do you think Blaine is?
Before you get flamed for asking a question that's been discussed on this forum at nauseum, may I suggest you use the search feature?
[quote]
On 2011-08-18 12:15, M Sini wrote:
Before you get flamed for asking a question that's been discussed on this forum at nauseum, may I suggest you use the search feature?
[/quote]

Sorry. Not trying to start a riot. Was browsing through the forum while his special was on TV and just threw the question out there to see what the general consensus was. Never understood why people feel the need to flame someone just because they think their question is old news. I have never had a problem answering a repeated question on my more frequented forums if I had the time. However, if I am tired of that specific topic and don't feel like discussing it then I don't click on it. Simple as that. Never had the inclination to waste my time bad mouthing someone for asking about a topic I was tired of discussing. To each his own I guess. Haven't gotten flamed yet though, but haven't gotten any real responses either. I'll just assume this thread is dead. Perhaps I will search through the older post sometime to see what you guys have discussed before.
I do not personally enjoy his sort of entertainment. I have no idea what "magicians" think about him.
I like him and respect him and what he does. I find it annoying that the general population have some weird thought that he doesn't do magic and only does these "stunts". There has been magic in every one of his specials about each "stunt." There was a short and interesting talk he did about what he went through to train holding his breath on TED.
Most would agree DB is good for the business and certainly projects a more positive image than CA. Not everyone is thrilled with his "endurance" demos or his "non-presentational" way of doing tricks. Magicians credit him for getting close-up on TV by focusing on spectator's reactions as opposed to the performer's presentation which when he started was considered fresh. Personally, I feel without DB there never would have been a CA or Derren Brown.
Thanks for the replies. DB certainly has a different approach. I always figured he wanted his magic to seem as spontaneous and unprepared as possible to give the illusion that he did have the power to do anything at any moment and sometimes unintentionally. Not to say that I haven't seen other magicians take the same approach with their tricks but he seems to have built his whole persona around his spontaneity. CA on the other hand has never really impressed me that much. Perhaps I haven't watched enough of his show, but so much of what I have seen has relied on stooges or camera tricks. He seems to dependent on the cameras ability to provide the misdirection rather than developing illusions that could really withstand the scrutiny of an actual audience.

I will say this, I do get a good laugh from DBs Fearless. The reactions people give are priceless. Particularly when there is no reaction at all.
Think about the following...Blaine was given an opportunity that thousands of magicians aspire to, a television special(s) on nationwide television. The network "brass" must have seen something in his personality and presentation which convinced them to put him on primetime television performing ,for the most part, fresh out of the magic shop effects. The fact that people who know what sells and what dosent as far as entertainment on TV is concerned obviously do not think in the same circles as we magicians. The networks realized that the magic wasnt really what "sold" Blaine to the public. Blaine sold himself with the personality that many magicans have felt undermines the presentation of magic... we look for upbeat and witty while Blaine portrayed a dry monotone. The public liked him,otherwise we would have witnessed a one trick pony with the first special,never again to see him on television or read about him in the media. The networks liked it,otherwise their money wouldnt be used to produce his subsequent television specials.Because the public liked him,they liked his magic. They could give a rip if it was a cheap ID or a gimmicked quarter. the public,believe it or not, is not interested in a flawless pass or witty patter about three men in a tub. The television exec's, the public,and David Blaine proved that after one Magic Man special and the majority of magic club magicans could not swallow that bitter pill of reality.A pity when you really think about it...I mean arent we a "brotherhood" of magicians?
If our perceptions of Blaine and his performance of magic were spot on,he would not be where he is today. Instead he would be sitting at his laptop posting on the Café while the rest of us were turning down offers from television executives looking for magicans who know how to present and perform magic.
Lol... Can I call you Pepper?

What a well thought out and perceptive post. David Blain crafted the "Enigma" role in magic. He sculpted it into a very charismatic career. If you want that guy... you call David. I honestly believe one of the keys that made his initial show so good was accidental. It is rumored that when he first started, his magic technique was not sufficiently advanced to hold up under the scrutiny of the unblinking eye of video, so many of the shots of the magic gave away the method. They kept having to cut to the reaction shots to cover the magic and it created they style that changed the focus from the effect to the reaction.

I think David is very smart and he focuses on people with lower expectations to generate greater reactions. That's the reason behind so many of his choices including the underplayed guy in a T shirt and jeans character. The more "ordinary" the surroundings, they more contrast for the extraordinary effect.

He doesn't have a personality, he has a character. I wouldn't say that the public likes him as we don't really like "character". We "like" personality but we are sometimes attracted to a "character". Look at the female appeal of the loner on a motorcycle. People are attracted to the enigmatic role he plays. He is trying to be very smart about over exposure. Too much air time would undermine his image. All that really matters to TV producers is that he delivers numbers. People tune in to see what he's going to do next. The dark, brooding, enigmatic loner with a "secret" is a classic archetype. He figured it out either by design or by chance but it worked.

No, he probably couldn't pull off a full evening show or any structured show for that matter where there were actual expectations and he had to deliver based on a set ticket price. He is wise to stay with what he can do well, and therein lies his greatest talent.
Some say Blaine got the idea for his character from Paul Harris who expressed the idea that if you perform with little or no presentation, the magic would speak for itself.
Oh boy, IDK about that. Those early PH tapes have lots of good magic ideas but the performances themselves are excruciating to watch.
I think DB is very very smart about his career and entertaining, at least to this spectator.
Not from the goofy PH tapes from way back when. Later PH despised those performances himself, stopped performing for the most part and put forth the non-presentational idea of just doing the trick and letting the magic speak for himself. As you may know PH consulted on the first few DB specials.
I meant itself not himself. Anyway, DB has said he considers PH a guru of sorts.
I like David Blaine! :wavey:
For the record, I never aspired to television.
How many people here have actually met DB, seen him perform, and know what they are talking about?
I have done one of each.
I've met DB briefly, he was a reserved sorta quiet respectful guy who was mostly in a hurry to go somewhere but took the time to do a card trick for our little group. He is an adept cardman that seems passionate about magic, but listening to him, as I said only briefly, my impression is that he feels his physical stunts where there is a potential for injury are more magic to him than actual magic tricks.
David Blaine is just a amateur magician if compare to Dai Vernon, Slydini, Paul Daniel. He is a opportunity seeker.. like many of us, we dream of someday appear on tv when we master our craft... most of our dream end then more older we goes.. in the end, we are happy enough to perform at restaurant and other..

David Blaine on other hand, knowing he don't have skill like other, just went ahead to TV producer, perform standard magician (slightly above beginner magic) and become famous for it.... Like Dai Vernon use to said to Michael Ammar "people don't like to see a hamesome young man performing skillful things, they get jealous infact"

So David here, different from what people thought of magician see, someone who proud, arrogant, fast talking guy, great charisma and rich .... David wear normal clothing, a street guy... David went to place where people don't see magician often or cant afford one.... He show his magic, and of cos he get a great reaction...

To a layperson watch David Blaine show on tv, David use magic making people freak out and brighten their day.

TO a Magician like me - never underestimate a simple trick...

Finally, David Blaine Choose his audience, only those have great reaction are put on the show, those who react like nothing happen get edited out... Most tv magician do that..

but if we compare david blaine to criss angel, cyril takayama and derren brown...
I will rate them as follow:
1) Derren Brown - Create new type of illusion that he control mind, behavior. He is great of his misdirection, cold reading skill.. and super ability of making something wrong to right... He have great card effect.. A magician turning to mentalist. He have his own live show.

2)Cyril Takayama - Friendly neighborhood Magician, Before getting his own show, he is on of "T.H.E.M." Cool group of guy. He earn a living by performing at bar for tips (huge amount since japanese mafia love to give money away)...soon after effect of David Blaine, Japan called him up for Japan street magic show... His performance are better than blaine because he got lot of his friend from "T.H.E.M" to help him out... He have a great style and he first got me interested in Magic.. though right now, he seems stop creating or showing new effect.. in live show, he getting harder time to get a reaction...his works with floating or pk effect are most fantastic!!

3)Criss Angel = He famous for his singing and stage magic... He is great but he have a attitude problem who I hope kids wont follow his footstep..He look more like a pop icon than a magician.. or something to do with dark side of magic, over estimate himself.. He have johnny thompson and banacek to help..

4)David Blaine - like I say, he a normal guy... seems like a poor guy.. performing magic to audience who rarely see a magician real life.. and get to be famous...

5) Luchen from taiwan - Lu Chen a name that is not so famous now, but one day I hope he going to be.. HE too like cyril, got the skill , the sleight as a magician.. he quite successful in china, taiwan and japan.. He always add a twist to his magic... Although he perform trick that you can buy from magic shop, he make some adjustment to make it different and unique... He need to work on his English and let the world then experience his magic. BTW, He won 1st place at some competition organized by David Copperfield himself.. One of the most creative original magic creator...

If we put all the TV magician on the street, without camera trick, with a 50percent lay person, 50 percent magician audience...

Perhaps derren brown would be first..for his presentation and smooth taking, great showmanship..i think most people will enjoy him as a entertainer.

Cyril and LuChen will be performing wide range of street magic... lot of great effect..

Criss Angel might be doing some a normal standard trick ...

David Blaine = Having trouble I think..due to wide range of audience, having harder time getting people to watch him or understanding him...
Wow seems to be lots of assumin going on in that post.
[quote]
On 2011-11-14 01:27, charliewerner wrote:
David Blaine is just a amateur magician if compare to Dai Vernon, Slydini, Paul Daniel. He is a opportunity seeker.. like many of us, we dream of someday appear on tv when we master our craft... most of our dream end then more older we goes.. in the end, we are happy enough to perform at restaurant and other..

David Blaine on other hand, knowing he don't have skill like other, just went ahead to TV producer, perform standard magician (slightly above beginner magic) and become famous for it.... Like Dai Vernon use to said to Michael Ammar "people don't like to see a hamesome young man performing skillful things, they get jealous infact"

So David here, different from what people thought of magician see, someone who proud, arrogant, fast talking guy, great charisma and rich .... David wear normal clothing, a street guy... David went to place where people don't see magician often or cant afford one.... He show his magic, and of cos he get a great reaction...

To a layperson watch David Blaine show on tv, David use magic making people freak out and brighten their day.

Finally, David Blaine Choose his audience, only those have great reaction are put on the show, those who react like nothing happen get edited out... Most tv magician do that..

but if we compare david blaine to criss angel, cyril takayama and derren brown...
1) Derren Brown - Create new type of illusion that he control mind, behavior. He is great of his misdirection, cold reading skill.. and super ability of making something wrong to right... He have great card effect.. A magician turning to mentalist. He have his own live show.

2)Cyril Takayama - Friendly neighborhood Magician, Before getting his own show, he is on of "T.H.E.M." Cool group of guy. He earn a living by performing at bar for tips (huge amount since japanese mafia love to give money away)...soon after effect of David Blaine, Japan called him up for Japan street magic show... His performance are better than blaine because he got lot of his friend from "T.H.E.M" to help him out... He have a great style and he first got me interested in Magic.. though right now, he seems stop creating or showing new effect.. in live show, he getting harder time to get a reaction...his works with floating or pk effect are most fantastic!!

3)Criss Angel = He famous for his singing and stage magic... He is great but he have a attitude problem who I hope kids wont follow his footstep..He look more like a pop icon than a magician.. or something to do with dark side of magic, over estimate himself.. He have johnny thompson and banacek to help..

4)David Blaine - like I say, he a normal guy... seems like a poor guy.. performing magic to audience who rarely see a magician real life.. and get to be famous...

5) Luchen from taiwan - Lu Chen a name that is not so famous now, but one day I hope he going to be.. HE too like cyril, got the skill , the sleight as a magician.. he quite successful in china, taiwan and japan.. He always add a twist to his magic... Although he perform trick that you can buy from magic shop, he make some adjustment to make it different and unique... He need to work on his English and let the world then experience his magic. BTW, He won 1st place at some competition organized by David Copperfield himself.. One of the most creative original magic creator...

If we put all the TV magician on the street, without camera trick, with a 50percent lay person, 50 percent magician audience...

Perhaps derren brown would be first..for his presentation and smooth taking, great showmanship..i think most people will enjoy him as a entertainer.

Cyril and LuChen will be performing wide range of street magic... lot of great effect..

David Blaine = Having trouble I think..due to wide range of audience, having harder time getting people to watch him or understanding him...
[/quote]

Wow... You don't think jumping to conclusion is overrated I take it?
David has no trouble having people understand him or getting people to watch him. Quite the opposite. Your post is filled with misinformation.
Lost in translation.
Charliewerner:

Forgive me, I mean no offense, but English is not your first language, am I right? :)

Doug
[quote]
On 2011-11-14 01:27, charliewerner wrote:

[/quote]

Seems you got very MISinformed....
Gah, I *hate* this topic, but here we go again.

It distills down to this (and I have read cover to cover Blaine's "book", so I know from whence I speak):

David never meant to be labeled purely a magician. His focus and inspiriation was Houdini's endurance and escape feats.
Houdini was a master at PR, and David learned that lesson very, very well.

I admire him for what he has accomplished, and attempted to accomplish.

I agree about the "low expectations/large reactions" gambit. This is absolutely true and it worked.

Was there extensive editing in his specials? Yes.

Do I consider him a well rounded, professional magician? No.
Do I consider him a well rounded endurance feat performer? Yes.

Do I like his style? No.
Do I like his dress? Absolutely not.

However, this also plays directly into the "low expectations/large reaction" principle, so I can see the validity of the approach.

Personally, I find it repugnant and I think that both he and Criss Angel (whom is another topic altogether) have done the magic community a HUGE disservice by presenting a shabby image as the new "norm". I, personally, will never perform while dressed like a bum that would hit you up for change outside of a Starbucks, or attired in an outfit that looks as though someone threw the cast of "Twilight" and "Lost Boys" into a blender and hit "chop".

Magic to me speaks of mystery and elegance, and we should dress in a manner to promote that image. If you are a performer, you should LOOK like one. This includes such elementary things as personal hygene and clean clothes.

Am I a snob about that? Most likely, but that is my style. Others vary.

A comedy magician would not dress in the Victorian manner I do. A stage/parlor magician would not dress in a club/bar style manner.

However, to each his own, and I respect both David and Criss for getting out there and making it happen; each in his own (if slightly distasteful) manner.

*tips hat*
[quote]
On 2011-12-12 18:33, Ekuth wrote:
Gah, I *hate* this topic, but here we go again.

It distills down to this (and I have read cover to cover Blaine's "book", so I know from whence I speak):

David never meant to be labeled purely a magician. His focus and inspiriation was Houdini's endurance and escape feats.
Houdini was a master at PR, and David learned that lesson very, very well.

I admire him for what he has accomplished, and attempted to accomplish.

I agree about the "low expectations/large reactions" gambit. This is absolutely true and it worked.

Was there extensive editing in his specials? Yes.

Do I consider him a well rounded, professional magician? No.
Do I consider him a well rounded endurance feat performer? Yes.

Do I like his style? No.
Do I like his dress? Absolutely not.

However, this also plays directly into the "low expectations/large reaction" principle, so I can see the validity of the approach.

Personally, I find it repugnant and I think that both he and Criss Angel (whom is another topic altogether) have done the magic community a HUGE disservice by presenting a shabby image as the new "norm". I, personally, will never perform while dressed like a bum that would hit you up for change outside of a Starbucks, or attired in an outfit that looks as though someone threw the cast of "Twilight" and "Lost Boys" into a blender and hit "chop".

Magic to me speaks of mystery and elegance, and we should dress in a manner to promote that image. If you are a performer, you should LOOK like one. This includes such elementary things as personal hygene and clean clothes.

Am I a snob about that? Most likely, but that is my style. Others vary.

A comedy magician would not dress in the Victorian manner I do. A stage/parlor magician would not dress in a club/bar style manner.

However, to each his own, and I respect both David and Criss for getting out there and making it happen; each in his own (if slightly distasteful) manner.

*tips hat*
[/quote]

In your mind, how should DB have dressed when he performed in street magic or any of his subsequent specials? Do you think altering his dress would impact how people respond and react to him on the street? If so, would the change in their response work towards or against him? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Doug McKenzie
I'll be the first to admit that the first time I watched David's Street Magic special back in 96 I was one of the "How the hell did HE get his own show" people. I thought to myself, "I can do everything he is doing".

But then I found myself watching it again, and again, and again. I don't think there's a magician out there that can honestly admit they've only watched David's specials once. And the reason we do this is because we love watching magic and the spectators reactions. Not to mention that here's a magician that is finally a technician. The effects were the ones that we knew. Harris, Williamson, Weber....all contributors and all magicians we look up to. AND the fact that yes, the spectator was more spotlighted. Art is created as a form of expression. Whatever the subject matter is its the artists job to lay out the canvas and begin doing what he's feeling. In this case, David felt that the spectator is the focus. IMO he is provocative and unsettling. He executes and then stops for a minute to observe the affect on his prey. I love it!

I had the chance (thanks to Doug) to hang out with both Doug and David last year while I was doing a gig in New York and both were amazing gentlemen. David reminds me of a cousin or a familiar relative. While at his place he constantly was busy on the phone but took moments to ask about my life and always was hospitable enough to offer me food, beverage, etc. He is an EXTREMELY nice fellow and really does look for feedback. He cares about his magic and what he can do to improve. I never once got the impression of arrogance or cockiness. He has a wonderful team (and two beautiful assistants might I add) that loves magic. He would ask me to show him something and then say, "hey girls, come watch this" and they would hop up to watch. They LOVE magic!

Doug, thank you again for the wonderful time. I'll never forget it. Hope to do it again soon my friend.
I have watched them less than once.
Actually,

Whenever I see a D.B. or C.A. special on t.v....

I flip the channel!

Jim
I enjoy David Blaine's specials and I really don't care what anyone else thinks about that.
I love his stunts... :ohyes:

Not so much his Street Magic.
[img]http://www.stripers247.com/images/hatergonnahate02.jpg[/img]
Did he really just poke an ice pick through his hand?
Very entertaining!
Very entertaining!
Message: Posted by: FrenchFryNecromancer (Nov 19, 2013 10:28PM)
Just finished watching his new special tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I keep wondering. If the water spitting was real, was the spike through hand and needle through arm real? It certainly looked real.

I am also fairly confused how Blaine is just naming or predicting cards or people's names that he has asked the spectator to just think of on the spot. (unless there is some footage editing and there was previous work we didn't get to see.)
It sure looked like DB stuck an ice pick through his hand an a long needle through his arm. This is not my style of magic and it is like a car wreck... you just can't stop looking.

I noticed he swallowed two fish and they didn't show him bring them back up. If he did bring them back up I think it was like Jacka*s and Steve-O puking them up. The swallowing massive amounts of water and bringing it back up was interesting and something I have never seen.

I enjoyed the card magic even though some of it he has performed in previous specials. I believe there was some major editing. Like the one dollar bill that turned into a hundred. I never saw the one dollar bill.

He doesn't have a big personality like Penn of Penn and Teller, but at least he doesn't brag like Criss Angel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpFsLQ5MrLI
[quote]
On 2013-11-19 23:31, Mike Brezler wrote:
I believe there was some major editing. Like the one dollar bill that turned into a hundred. I never saw the one dollar bill.

He doesn't have a big personality like Penn of Penn and Teller, but at least he doesn't brag like Criss Angel.
[/quote]
I watched the first 35 or 40 minutes and couldn't take it anymore. I get what David is trying to do, but I don't agree with it. There is MASSIVE editing. The ice pick routine was 3 separate performances cut together. WTH is that? The "bill change" I didn't see a $1...and didn't see a $100 either. The kids just looked at it, screamed and ran away. I get that it's good TV to focus on the spectators and their reactions, but you have to SHOW what they are seeing! Also, I thought this was supposed to be a return to magic. Most of what I saw was sideshow stunts like eating glass, spike through hand and fire breathing.

Big personality? On these specials, he doesn't have ANY personality, let alone a big one. I've met David in person and he was very pleasant to talk with. Many well known magicians have onstage personas....Teller being silent, Hobson being gay etc. I REALLY don't get how your persona can be that you don't have one.
I'm a big David Blaine fan and loved the special! I do not like the death defying stunts however and wish he would not have drank the kerosene.

The older I get the more sensitive I get and David Blaine worries me with the stunts.
I don't care what any of the people who don't like DB have to say because we all know we would most likely kill to perform in front of those celebrities and get the reactions he got out of them... And I also know for a fact that every person would love to say and have video of them stealing the Presidents watch and not get thrown in a windowless room forever because of it. I mean be honest who wouldn't love to be the one who could say, "Harrison Ford told me to get the **** out of his house?" IMO I see people get bitter towards those who are successful in life because they broke out of the mold and set their own path which DB did, I mean there is a reason he is on TV and doesn't have over 500 plus posts on this forum...
Oh my gawd, thank you David Blaine. Thank you for giving our art a big ole shot in the arm. I just can't help but think of all of those layman who saw or will see that special and because of it will now be willing to sit through just ONE more of my card tricks!

I watched that special and had just about every thought and emotion ring through my body that has already been mentioned on this board. I'm still trying to figure out what the deal is with that *** ice pick and I'm still grossed out by that water spitting. But you know what? At the end of the day, I just wanna thank this magician. Thank him, for helping keep magic alive out there in this cold, harsh world. He did an awesome job with this special, putting magic back on the front page.
While I think David is absolutely flat as a personality, he does let his magic speak for him. He accomplished in this one special what Criss Angel has been trying to accomplish for years. The difference? It was about the magic. The magic was the star, his skills were the star...not the ego of the performer.

While I think Blaine would be even more appealing and more commercially successful if he had some type of inviting and less serious/monotone personality, I could only imagine how good it would be if he were as entertaining as his magic.

Very nice job and kudos for the industry ad magic community.
[quote]
On 2013-11-20 07:33, NYCJoePitt wrote:
Oh my gawd, thank you David Blaine. Thank you for giving our art a big ole shot in the arm.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more!
For the first time in a long time, I am giddy about going to a Magic club meeting tonight.
Whatever one thinks of DB, it's hard to argue that he hasn't found what WORKS FOR HIM.

Love him or hate him, he is living the life of success with a capital S. I'm sure he is aware of the flack he gets from guys like us, but he has the guts to be who he is, doing his effects the way he feels works for him, and in the end he enjoys the sweet smell of money, money, money out the wazoola.

And the icing on the cake is getting to hobnob with milliionaire celebs.

And women? Oh yeah, buddy! I would guess he can take his pick.

Not too bad a life style for a guy some have named "David Plain".
Message: Posted by: FrenchFryNecromancer (Nov 20, 2013 07:17PM)
I don't see anything wrong with his demeanor. In fact... because he is not overtly pushing his personality in your face, I feel like it makes you actively seek to understand who/why he is. It draws people in because his behavior makes you curious, rather than demanding people notice by having a loud personality.
[quote]
On 2013-11-20 14:43, BenJammin69 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-11-20 07:33, NYCJoePitt wrote:
Oh my gawd, thank you David Blaine. Thank you for giving our art a big ole shot in the arm.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more!
For the first time in a long time, I am giddy about going to a Magic club meeting tonight.
[/quote]

Giving the art of magic a "shot in the arm". Yes, that was the expression I was searching for. (and when was the last time you saw Dai Vernon or heard his voice on TV?) Yes he did a lot of the classic tricks that we know well ...OOTW, cards across, triumph ( yet with an I phone) etc; and this is why I liked it. Lynn ps the only part I didn't like was his performing for George W ... but that's for another forum. peops for David
His character, his demeanor, is "earnestness." He really sells the fact that what he's doing is real, and he just wants to share it with you. Personally, I think his character is brilliant. I could never pull it off - I'm way too reliant on jokes and stories, et al, - but Blaine does it brilliantly. He brings a grit and authenticity to magic which is pretty remarkable for someone who has been in the game as long as he has, and should by all odds be disillusioned and ironic at this point.
He works well for me when I can't sleep. I can not watch staged reactions from ACTORS. Guess what they do?

That is one and only one opinion. Good on him for working regularly on TV. He obviously earned it.

I do not like many things on TV. Does not make them bad. He has parlayed his idea into multiple specials. Good on him.
[quote]I can not watch staged reactions from ACTORS. Guess what they do? [/quote]

"Alright, everyone, one more time please. Take seventy-four, surprised reaction, Jada, a little more with the eyes and less arm-waving this time. Will, go over and hug her like you're going to protect her from the nameless forces you're encountering...kids, you can be as goofy as you want...Somebody wake up David. Oh, he [i]is[/i] awake..."

Well, maybe. I still liked it.
Nail on head.
I was thinking that, too. But I'm still wondering about Harrison Ford.

I wonder what the consensus is about whether he was acting or if his reactions were genuine.
With a camera around actors never have a genuine reaction.
That's kind of a heavy accusation, that the reactions were all faked, which would make DB a phony. Any support for that, or are we just casting stones?
[quote]
On 2012-04-07 13:52, Jim Oliver wrote:
Actually,

Whenever I see a D.B. or C.A. special on t.v....

I flip the channel!

Jim
[/quote]

Wow.
[quote]
On 2013-11-21 20:58, Dannydoyle wrote:
[/quote]

Hyperbole sure is fun!
As for me, I see hyperbole as more utilitarian. I use it a lot in everyday speech.
[quote]
On 2013-11-21 20:58, Dannydoyle wrote:
[/quote]
But if they express accurately what we at home are feeling inside--and they did for this viewer quite a bit of the time--then all is forgiven.
Good point.

But I'm STILL wondering about Harrison Ford.
When he changed the aces to kings...was that for real? Wowza!

I find DB's magic specials entertaining. I bet he doesn't hang around at magic clubs, either.
He probably doesn't have time. To be as good as he is, one has to devote a good portion of their time to practicing.