(Close Window)
Topic: A.D.A.C.A.N
The A.C.A.A.N routine has become some-what of a holy grail for most magicians. The effect is as simple as it gets; a deck is placed on the table, the spectator is invited to name any card from within a deck along with any number between 1 and 52. They are then invited to count down to that number in the deck and, low and behold, the card they named is at that number. A simple plot, right? So I need to ask a simple question; why are there so many methods out there so over thought?
What sets my own apart? Well when creating this I gave myself a very strict set of rules which are as follows.
Only one deck may be used
The deck may not be gimmicked
The deck may not be stacked
The deck can be borrowed and incomplete( missing cards)
You never handle the deck!
The spectator can shuffle it if they want
It had to take up as little pocket room as possible
In this download I do this and you get every detail you need to do an Any card at any number with a borrowed and shuffled deck. You do need something to facilitate the effect but it takes up next to no extra pocket space and it will allow you to repeat the effect with different cards and different numbers. This trully is an acaan where you NEVER touch the deck!
Quotes:
"Alan has approached the ACAAN plot with some abstract thinking that has left him with this solid and practical handling of ACAAN. Think about this for a second... you actually borrow any deck of cards, never touch it, have someone shuffle the deck, then deal down to their selected card at their at chosen number... just let that sink in. ADACAN does exactly what it says on the tin. This is strong magic." - Lloyd Barnes
"An any card at any number where the magician truly never touches the deck. Infact that deck can be borrowed! let that sink in for a mintue. Alan has created a thing of absolute beauty with adacan! " -Dee Christopher
Sounds awesome! I sort of collect ACAAN plots. I'm sure thiswould be great to add. Just to be clear, it DOES require a gimmick?
Id say yes. buts its not what you think! not at all lol You know what. Im in 2 minds if you would call it a gimmick or not. As I say in the ad copy. you need to have something on you but It takes up next to no pocket space.
Ok haha I'll PM you
Possible to have a demo?
Ill try n get one shot for you guys but its an any card at any number using a borrowed and shuffled deck. They take a deck. the shuffle it, the magician never touches it. They choose a card and number between 1 and 52. Then they count down and its their card.
What does ADACAN stand for anyway?
Any deck, Any card, Any number
Awesome thanks. Seems like a great concept. Especially if it's completely hands off.
Prediction : this thread will reach 10 pages!

well done Alan, Im looking forward to this demo.
Sounds great Alan! Waiting for a demo too... Hope not to be disappointed, as always (except John Born, Berglas and Matt Johnson's methods, which are my top 3) Maybe you will enter in this top three ;) Is there something missing in the advert? Because it looks "too" perfect!
Well as I said. I'll see what I can do on the demo front. May not get one shot for a week or two but I'll do my best. Busy wee soul as of late
Are the card and the number freely chosen, or thought? Because in the ad it is written "their selected card", that means the card is not freely thought of?
I wouldn't call it free. There is no equivoqe or anything like that and it can instantly be repeated with any other card in the deck with any other number though. Everything appears absolutely free also. Vuage answer I guess but that's as honest as I can be without giving away the method.
[quote]
On 2011-08-26 04:17, Alan Rorrison wrote:
I wouldn't call it free.
[/quote]

For the number or for the card? ;)
Just want to chime in quickly here. It is tricky to sort of say how they arrive at their chosen number and card. Every single time, it's a different card and number and it's not any super obvious force. Describing what happens would be giving it away but when it happens to the audience, it's not suspicious at all and it's very very practical. When the effect is done and they're sitting there bewildered, the way they chose the card and number will be totally over looked.

I know it's a vague description but when you take a look at this you will understand why. One thing I will say, is that this is a work horse and allows you to focus so much on presentation. I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this and I'll be surprised if most of you don't use this.

Lloyd
Well, I have purchased this effect. Here is my quick review:

Presentation: you get a 10 pages pdf file + extra things (pictures) to do the effect, in which everything is explained clearly. There are pictures included in the text to make the text easier to follow. Credits are present so it's a good thing, although I would have added Jay Sankey.

Method: the method is quite nice, and the use of the gimmick is nicely justified, the spectator won't realize anything. The choice of card and number really appear to be freely chosen, and most spectators won't realize their choice was not free (but I guess that some of them will realize the method if they try to "get" you on a particuliar point: I cannot enter into detail without exposing, so I stay quite vague). The best thing after all is that you really never touch the deck and you can focus on your presentation, which is great!

I could use it in future, altough I am not sure about that because other methods involving only one deck and (really) freely chosen card/number are better (it's only my opinion of course).

But for 12Ä you can obviously get it if you are a ACAAN fan ;)

Overall rating: 7/10, great thinking Alan :)
Thanks for the review!
This is certainly different to the conventional methods. No memory work or stacks involved. Hardly anything to carry around so pocket space is indeed good. An unusual take on the plot but it works. As mentioned above, its a bargain at this price. Good job Alan!
I was very happy and surprised to read Alan's innovative and direct approach to this effect....If anyone that has this understands how the spectator can be led to thinking, " how did I do that " you will take this to another level.

that is all,

wonderful effect.

Andrew Gerard
Thank you for all the great feedback I'm happy you are all liking this one.
Just noticed there was no link. how embarrassing lol http://www.alanrorrison.com/Adacan.html there you go
I have to say, I wasn't too keen...i get that it works as advertised and its all true - I just didn't like the "You do need something to facilitate the effect"... just a personal thing though I reckon...good quality instructions and definitely miles better than some other acaans out there...
Hade a few site issues.. All fixed now
Alan has a very good mind for magic in general so when he decided to tackle a card plot familiar to us all I was pretty stoked to see what he did with it. The any card at number plot is a classic and Alan has found a way to bring in a very clever method that will work for anyone. The method is simple but as Vernon used to say K.I.S.S or Keep It Simple Stupid.

Do yourself a favor and pick this up today and add it to your weekend list of goodness.
Looks like Vernon had some background in the marketing Luke ;)

Sounds like you've done a great job again Alan! I'm buying it ASAP!

R.
Cheers folks. I am super happy with the feed back I'm getting for this. Thank you so much. Grab it while its hot folks
The conditions are great, no doubt about that, but "You do need something to facilitate the effect" part...

It's either something ingenious or something pretty basic and well known so that's why you don't want to reveal what is this "something" (there's no description of the card/number picking procedure so one "classic" method immiedietaly came to my mind). But hey, it's 10p right? Good luck.
I beleive the quote that Mark Elsdon just send me will answer that!

"Adacan is great! An ingenious solution that meets all the conditions. Congratulations on devising such a simple but devious method. "- Mark Elsdon
I just finished reading my copy. I have to say I feared to fell upon another acaan version I will not use, but I think I'll give a try to this one. I tried to imagine what laymen would think during this routine and I think they will say it's pretty strong. Everything is crystal clear for the spectator and this is maybe the first time I like the use of... what is used in it ^^

I would have liked a longer pdf with more details, tips and variations because it feels really direct and to the point but anyway, the method is good. Nothing really new in it but Alan has the merit of putting some ideas together to get this routine right. It really does what the ad says, I don't feel mislead at all.

good points :
-the effect is quite direct and to the point
-it is clean and baffling for the spectator
-easy to do (maybe a little audience management)
-the method is ingenious, you'll wish you thought of that because most of you will recognise all the ideas in it.
-the ad is accurate

bad points :
-the pdf file is a bit short
-you need something more than just a deck, but hey... Alan warned you !
-... I'm still looking for something more to say in the bad points but... I can't find one ^^

All in all, a nice practical and accurate acaan routine. I give ADACAN a 9/10 !

Louis
Hi Alan,

I just purchased your A.D.A.C.A.N
I think it's really brilliant out of the box thinking.

Instead of using the sharpie and card system (if you've bought this you'll know what I mean), here's how I will perform it.

Take a regular deck of cards and mark the backs of the cards with numbers from 1 to 52.
Have a spectator shuffle and examine those cards. When you take the cards back you do some "additional" over hand shuffles.

Have a card "selected" face up . . . "you will randomly choose a number".
Have another spec "select" a face down card . . . "you will randomly select a card"

Have the spectator holding the borrowed shuffled cards count down to the "randomly" selected number to discover the chosen card.

As an added bonus, 1 out of 52 times the "selected" number will have the selected card on the other side.

Greg Rostami
Happy you liked it Greg. nice idea but the main point of my criteria was to be as hands of as possible. But agian nice idea
[quote]
On 2011-08-27 11:49, Greg Rostami wrote:
Hi Alan,

I just purchased your A.D.A.C.A.N
I think it's really brilliant out of the box thinking.

Instead of using the sharpie and card system (if you've bought this you'll know what I mean), here's how I will perform it.

Take a regular deck of cards and mark the backs of the cards with numbers from 1 to 52.
Have a spectator shuffle and examine those cards. When you take the cards back you do some "additional" over hand shuffles.

Have a card "selected" face up . . . "you will randomly choose a number".
Have another spec "select" a face down card . . . "you will randomly select a card"

Have the spectator holding the borrowed shuffled cards count down to the "randomly" selected number to discover the chosen card.

As an added bonus, 1 out of 52 times the "selected" number will have the selected card on the other side.

Greg Rostami
[/quote]

Your description is identically to 2704 by Tommy.

MP
Very clever approach to ACAAN. While this technique dates back to Tarbell and has been marketed (generally as an impossible prediction) many times since, there are a couple of things going on here which I think distracts from the method at play. Some will find the selection process a touch contrived, so I imagine it will take some good acting/wording to sell the rationale for such an approach. Of course until I try it, I canít say anything for certain. Overall, I have no regrets for the purchase. Nice job, Alan.
I'm very interested in this and the positive reviews, but is the "extra something" going to be something I'll have to specially purchase from a magic shop, or will it be something easy to acquire?
[quote]
On 2011-08-27 18:17, CFol wrote:
I'm very interested in this and the positive reviews, but is the "extra something" going to be something I'll have to specially purchase from a magic shop, or will it be something easy to acquire?
[/quote]
It's pictures you print off......I hate to say it but I'm not a very big fan of this trick :/
[quote]
On 2011-08-27 18:39, MagicMaddy wrote:
I hate to say it but I'm not a very big fan of this trick :/
[/quote]

It is not a reason to expose the effect on a open forum MagicMaddy... It is totally inappropriate and disrespectful for the creator.
[quote]
On 2011-08-27 19:18, doriancaudal wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

It is not a reason to expose the effect on a open forum MagicMaddy... It is totally inappropriate and disrespectful for the creator.
[/quote]

Whoa now, I didn't expose anything, I'm pretty sure it's already been mentioned that you must print something off.
[quote]
On 2011-08-27 19:18, doriancaudal wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Actually it was YOU that mentioned it was pictures.

"Presentation: you get a 10 pages pdf file + extra things (pictures) to do the effect".................
Right, but I never said it was the gimmick (pictures in the text) ;)
[quote]
On 2011-08-26 07:01, doriancaudal wrote:
Well, I have purchased this effect. Here is my quick review:

Presentation: you get a 10 pages pdf file + extra things (pictures) to do the effect, in which everything is explained clearly. There are pictures included in the text to make the text easier to follow. Credits are present so it's a good thing, although I would have added Jay Sankey.

Method: the method is quite nice, and the use of the gimmick is nicely justified, the spectator won't realize anything. The choice of card and number really appear to be freely chosen, and most spectators won't realize their choice was not free (but I guess that some of them will realize the method if they try to "get" you on a particuliar point: I cannot enter into detail without exposing, so I stay quite vague). The best thing after all is that you really never touch the deck and you can focus on your presentation, which is great!

I could use it in future, altough I am not sure about that because other methods involving only one deck and (really) freely chosen card/number are better (it's only my opinion of course).

But for 12Ä you can obviously get it if you are a ACAAN fan ;)

Overall rating: 7/10, great thinking Alan :)
[/quote]

You first mention there are extra things to make the trick work, which you said were ppictures. the a few sentences later you say the ebook includes pictures to help you learn. Don't deny the fact that you had previously mentioned what I just siad a few posts ago. Also I would appreciate it if you wouldnt blame me for something that I didn't do. Saying "It's a picture" isn't revealing the effect. They still have no clue what the picture is of, how to use it, etc.
[quote]
Saying "It's a picture" isn't revealing the effect. They still have no clue what the picture is of, how to use it, etc.
[/quote]

Exactly. And also there is another "something" to have for the effect to work ;)
Tested it today for magic friends, unexpected great reactions, very impromptu !
My simple yes or no question remains unanswered.

Will I have to go buy "something" from a magic store, or will it be more easily acquirable?

I don't need to know what it is or how the effect is done. I just want to know if it's something that would be lying around a typical household! I'm very interested in this, as I've never done an acaan before!
[quote]
On 2011-08-27 20:24, CFol wrote:
My simple yes or no question remains unanswered.

Will I have to go buy "something" from a magic store, or will it be more easily acquirable?

I don't need to know what it is or how the effect is done. I just want to know if it's something that would be lying around a typical household! I'm very interested in this, as I've never done an acaan before!
[/quote]

Yes it is something you should normally at home if you perform magic (even occasionaly). But if you have never done ACAAN before, there are many other methods that would be more appropriate than this one, with no gimmick at all. Pm me if you want some ideas or references. But still, Alan Rorrison ADACAN is a good ACAAN if you want to take a plunge into it ;)
I wouldnt call that exposure.. Close but not lol.. And again thank you all for your kind words on the effect. I'm super excited that its getting such a great response
I wouldnt call that exposure.. Close but not lol.. And again thank you all for your kind words on the effect. I'm super excited that its getting such a great respons
I'm kinda curious. I like a lot of Alan's thinking, and I really like the acaan plot, so this obviously has me interested.
I'm sure if you take the plunge you will not be disapointed
I purchased this but tried to download on my android phone and ran out of attempts just waiting for alan to send a new download link.
I'll sort you out mate
Cheers alan
Gave you a wee 3p controle for free for the wait mate... cheers again everyone ... loving the feedback on this
Cheers alan, top man.
will look at these tonight and post my thoughts.

carl.
You are most very welcome. I'm creeping up to the 150 download mark... The person who gets the 150th download will win a copy of all my other downloads as well as there copy od adacan free!
To those still on the fence, I've been performing this in real world situations for the past few days and like expected, it gets brilliant reactions! Every time when trying to backtrack on the effect, they mention that I went no where near the cards and that it was completely fair! It really is a wicked version of the ACAAN plot!

Jamie Daws
Cheers jamie I'm happy you like it. It is oen of those little effects that I just love to perform
Must say this Rocks... Tried it out on a few people over the last few days and it went down a Storm.. Great outside the box thinking again... you won't regret buying this... even if you don't use it and you will be mad not to.... you will get a ton of Psychology and great theory inside that can only inhance your own magic and thinking.. Tip Top Dude
Cheers mate. Again I'm happy so many folks are liking this. getting so much good feedback
Video review!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=augwGWyt058&feature=player_embedded
Alan with this effect has once again taken a strong effect and cut off all the excess of usual methods to make the most simple and strong method possible. It truly seems impossible by description, but it is as good as it says.